BJT W.O.M – 433 (Lamps n Stevie G Designed) / P105 Quadruple Liverpool / Domestic Treble Rangers / Die Bayern All Comps / S2 Celtic - ECL + Domestic Treble

BJT W.O.M – 433 (Lamps n Stevie G Designed)

tac.thumb.png.280ef5bf2d72d37ba56a0efbd79574b5.png

BJT’s Well Oiled Machine – My Flagship FM 2020 System (Designed for Favourites)

I’ve created several systems now and it’s given me thought on how the game has been played in the past and the present. Ultimately I always look to win things, and I've decided to make a system I'd like to employ / see my team play with the sole aim of being successful.

So this tactic is designed for favourite teams.

Branching into the Mourinho Chelsea style, it’s inspired me to make a modification of taking their success in the past, into a way of playing that would be more suited to the modern game and also playing a brand of football that I’d want my side to produce.

I’ve mentioned in another thread the idea Jose had of pairing up Lampard and Gerrard together with Makelele in behind. I really liked this idea.

Knowing how counter-pressing has become a major tool in the present game, I’ve decided to create a system that covers the following:

-Counter-pressing / putting pressure immediately on the opposition

-Structured pressing / trying to keep the point at which we press as compact as possible

-Quick Tempo / is a great combination with counter-pressing, but not too quick so we do have time to play some football and put prolonged passages of play so we can apply pressure on the opposition

-Would bring out the best out of the wide players both without and with the ball

-Remain a solid outfit, both without the ball and a structured game plan of attack grinding teams down with the ball. What I call real teamwork, all players working for each other - a real Jose trait.

This all in tandem should make us difficult to contain going forward, whilst maintaining that “suffocating” style Jose had when playing all his opposition. I want to grind teams down in both respects.

The tactic will play with a higher line, so you’ll need a defence with decent pace and keeper sweeper employed.

You’ll also need a hard working outfit with pace down the flanks and hard working but also creative box to box midfielders with the ability to pass and create. Note the right sided BBM in my system goes forward more frequently too, so a PPM to suit would be very useful here.

And when I look at the overall style I’ve brought to the table, I’d say it brings the solidity of Mourinho along with the quick / wide play of Sir Alex Ferguson – just how I like to roll being oldskool.

OIs

-show defensive wide players to touchline

-show offensive wide players to weaker foot

Here are my most notable results

Season 1 Glasgow Rangers – Domestic Treble Winners / P93

It was an awfully tight tussle with the Bhoys, with only one point separating the two sides in the end.

No signings were made all year long.

Celtic did have the best goal difference with a very tight defence. However our attacking play out did theirs slightly and the more victories pipped us over the line.

We also beat them in the Betfred cup final 3-2, whilst also beating Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Final 2-0.

No doubt we were lucky to win all three trophies – but I always argue luck is a skill.

sqd.thumb.png.d8e1dbb9a6dd5b5e022f142f6ba14484.pngtable.thumb.png.cf8c85091b6f8486d78756a7fc2d71c9.pngsff.thumb.png.cdc3a09b937f9d6e64f97e71db1a3dbf.pngbfc.thumb.png.e9269d2b084d24eab00ef1d6e6a107d7.png

Season 1 Liverpool – Quadruple Winners / P105 (record points)

I decided to bolster the numbers in pre-season and January to make sure injuries wouldn’t derail our form too much.

Douglas Costa came in Pre Season, with Grimaldi and Martinez in January. No doubt this helped to keep our consistent form going throughout the year.

The one game we lost was at home to Chelsea. Despite us not scoring so many goals, the Jose Mourinho defence laid the foundation for winning all 4 trophies whilst breaking the Premiership 100 points record. Luck and squad depth made this possible.

1541240161_LPOOL-LT.thumb.png.2ae9bdf7b30f18a948c12c12bb480787.png1306707069_POOLFA.thumb.png.114ff27a43a5c90f52d1c3e73458878d.png1789770079_POOLECL.thumb.png.25224394912408cfef000e2e5ef84281.png121203814_POOLCARA.thumb.png.cf2bde0c08e49abdb54a3fdd9e365c18.png

Suitability

This style of football is designed for top top players in all areas of the pitch, or relatively speaking your team are one of the top dogs in the division.

So don’t expect this to work as well in the lower leagues or sides expected to struggle, as this brand of football is risky and requires everything to work well. And definitely don’t use with a very slow back-line.

There are much more suited tactics to play as underdogs, however this system does give the mix of solidity with the attacking intent and so it should still do an okay job and overachieve in most cases.

For Example Purposes:

Season 1 Aston Villa – Aim to Avoid Relegation / Finished 14th Mid-Table

I’m quite surprised we weren’t closer to the drop zone in all honesty, but we did only get 39 points in saying that. I know in my 442 that plays the United way was great with top sides, but would really struggle to avoid the drop, if not go down.

However the hard working 3 man midfield compared to the Scholes Keane combo was definitely evident to see in these results. It was enough to keep us up.

Over-achieved with a mid-table bracket isn’t a bad performance given the brand of football played with this squad.

762605106_VILLALT.thumb.png.c6774f4edbc1cdf306b952477b235401.png

Season 1 Cove Rangers – Reach Playoffs / 1st Place

Well we won promotion in top spot by a solo point. Not the best goal difference compared to the side in second place, but it’s still a good achievement I feel to play this football with a bunch of no hopers.

1727786518_COVELT.thumb.png.8ddf6dbe72366b5e45c950d551283033.png

For guidance / envision, here’s my chosen sample Premiership XI team that could play my system well:

GK - Schmeichael

RB-A – Gary Neville

LB-A – Ashley Cole

CB(Cover) - Carvalho

BPD (Stopper) - Terry

DM - Makelele

BBM(S) - Gerrard

BBM(A) - Lampard

IWR - Robben

IWL – C. Ronaldo

DLF(S) – Tevez

For any downloaders, hope you enjoy my style / brand of football and system for FM20.

BJT-433-WOM-FM20-fv.fmf

Edited by BJT

Die Bayern - vs Gegenpressing League / All Comps

I've just had a run through the league of Gegenpressing test to see whether the tactic can be successful in a league played in this style. Being FCB a few seasons in, although lacking in prime world class talent wide I do have a good squad elsewhere, and we were successfully able to win every cup competition we were involved in.

A number of draws in the league, but when you're competing in cups you're always more likely to drop points with split priorities and fatigue. Importantly we only lost one game all season, which will always keep us in the hunt for a trophy. Jose never liked to lose to his rivals, and was always content to take a draw in a tough game.

We comfortably brushed aside B Monchengladbach 3-0 in the DFB final, and then went on to beat Real Madrid 2-0 in a tightly contested game, but ultimately the harder working / grinding it out result team won in the end, as intended. You'll see the Gerrard and Lampard roles do make a difference in these games with their goal contributions.

comps.thumb.png.ae3216f3bbd067fd372687976282ba62.pngdfb.thumb.png.83da0bde573e20370515dd9306cc025a.png

ecl.thumb.png.913c10c9fd82ac423ebc9a291dfa7bcf.png

Here are also some clips of my Die Bayern and Liverpool in action playing my Jose / Fergie football:

Edited by BJT

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:53, BJT said:

BJT W.O.M – 433 (Lamps n Stevie G Designed)

tac.thumb.png.280ef5bf2d72d37ba56a0efbd79574b5.png

BJT’s Well Oiled Machine – My Flagship FM 2020 System (Designed for Favourites)

I’ve created several systems now and it’s given me thought on how the game has been played in the past and the present. Ultimately I always look to win things, and I've decided to make a system I'd like to employ / see my team play with the sole aim of being successful.

So this tactic is designed for favourite teams.

Branching into the Mourinho Chelsea style, it’s inspired me to make a modification of taking their success in the past, into a way of playing that would be more suited to the modern game and also playing a brand of football that I’d want my side to produce.

I’ve mentioned in another thread the idea Jose had of pairing up Lampard and Gerrard together with Makelele in behind. I really liked this idea.

Knowing how counter-pressing has become a major tool in the present game, I’ve decided to create a system that covers the following:

-Counter-pressing / putting pressure immediately on the opposition

-Structured pressing / trying to keep the point at which we press as compact as possible

-Quick Tempo / is a great combination with counter-pressing, but not too quick so we do have time to play some football and put prolonged passages of play so we can apply pressure on the opposition

-Would bring out the best out of the wide players both without and with the ball

-Remain a solid outfit, both without the ball and a structured game plan of attack grinding teams down with the ball. What I call real teamwork, all players working for each other - a real Jose trait.

This all in tandem should make us difficult to contain going forward, whilst maintaining that “suffocating” style Jose had when playing all his opposition. I want to grind teams down in both respects.

The tactic will play with a higher line, so you’ll need a defence with decent pace and keeper sweeper employed.

You’ll also need a hard working outfit with pace down the flanks and hard working but also creative box to box midfielders with the ability to pass and create. Note the right sided BBM in my system goes forward more frequently too, so a PPM to suit would be very useful here.

And when I look at the overall style I’ve brought to the table, I’d say it brings the solidity of Mourinho along with the quick / wide play of Sir Alex Ferguson – just how I like to roll being oldskool.

OIs

-show defensive wide players to touchline

-show offensive wide players to weaker foot

Here are my most notable results

Season 1 Glasgow Rangers – Domestic Treble Winners / P93

It was an awfully tight tussle with the Bhoys, with only one point separating the two sides in the end.

No signings were made all year long.

Celtic did have the best goal difference with a very tight defence. However our attacking play out did theirs slightly and the more victories pipped us over the line.

We also beat them in the Betfred cup final 3-2, whilst also beating Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Final 2-0.

No doubt we were lucky to win all three trophies – but I always argue luck is a skill.

sqd.thumb.png.d8e1dbb9a6dd5b5e022f142f6ba14484.pngtable.thumb.png.cf8c85091b6f8486d78756a7fc2d71c9.pngsff.thumb.png.cdc3a09b937f9d6e64f97e71db1a3dbf.pngbfc.thumb.png.e9269d2b084d24eab00ef1d6e6a107d7.png

Season 1 Liverpool – Quadruple Winners / P105 (record points)

I decided to bolster the numbers in pre-season and January to make sure injuries wouldn’t derail our form too much.

Douglas Costa came in Pre Season, with Grimaldi and Martinez in January. No doubt this helped to keep our consistent form going throughout the year.

The one game we lost was at home to Chelsea. Despite us not scoring so many goals, the Jose Mourinho defence laid the foundation for winning all 4 trophies whilst breaking the Premiership 100 points record. Luck and squad depth made this possible.

1541240161_LPOOL-LT.thumb.png.2ae9bdf7b30f18a948c12c12bb480787.png1306707069_POOLFA.thumb.png.114ff27a43a5c90f52d1c3e73458878d.png1789770079_POOLECL.thumb.png.25224394912408cfef000e2e5ef84281.png121203814_POOLCARA.thumb.png.cf2bde0c08e49abdb54a3fdd9e365c18.png

Suitability

This style of football is designed for top top players in all areas of the pitch, or relatively speaking your team are one of the top dogs in the division.

So don’t expect this to work as well in the lower leagues or sides expected to struggle, as this brand of football is risky and requires everything to work well. And definitely don’t use with a very slow back-line.

There are much more suited tactics to play as underdogs, however this system does give the mix of solidity with the attacking intent and so it should still do an okay job and overachieve in most cases.

For Example Purposes:

Season 1 Aston Villa – Aim to Avoid Relegation / Finished 14th Mid-Table

I’m quite surprised we weren’t closer to the drop zone in all honesty, but we did only get 39 points in saying that. I know in my 442 that plays the United way was great with top sides, but would really struggle to avoid the drop, if not go down.

However the hard working 3 man midfield compared to the Scholes Keane combo was definitely evident to see in these results. It was enough to keep us up.

Over-achieved with a mid-table bracket isn’t a bad performance given the brand of football played with this squad.

762605106_VILLALT.thumb.png.c6774f4edbc1cdf306b952477b235401.png

Season 1 Cove Rangers – Reach Playoffs / 1st Place

Well we won promotion in top spot by a solo point. Not the best goal difference compared to the side in second place, but it’s still a good achievement I feel to play this football with a bunch of no hopers.

1727786518_COVELT.thumb.png.8ddf6dbe72366b5e45c950d551283033.png

For guidance / envision, here’s my chosen sample Premiership XI team that could play my system well:

GK - Schmeichael

RB-A – Gary Neville

LB-A – Ashley Cole

CB(Cover) - Carvalho

BPD (Stopper) - Terry

DM - Makelele

BBM(S) - Gerrard

BBM(A) - Lampard

IWR - Robben

IWL – C. Ronaldo

DLF(S) – Tevez

For any downloaders, hope you enjoy my style / brand of football and system for FM20.

BJT-433-WOM-FM20.fmf 46.61 kB · 84 downloads

Which of your tactics would you suggest for an underdog (Newcastle United) ? I was thinking the JM 4-1-4-1 with TM but doesn't quite seem to click after 20 matches

I'd avoid a target man, only use as a last resort. I can't imagine a single striker target man would work so well. It will be highly predictable and teams will probably be easily able to adapt to it - unless you have a Drogba which doesn't exist in FM.

I'd try the DLF JM 4141 version...but if you have the players that work hard and a quick backline the 433 gegenpressing Klopp one will work better as it's solid with two BBMs and more aggressive which in this FM seems to be most effective.

3 hours ago, kapsou1908 said:

maybe I am a bit of a dummy but can you explain the opposition instruction 'show defensive wide players to touchline'...thank you

LB/WBL - show onto left foot

RB/WBR - show onto right foot

:)

Tactic Update - FV (avail on OP)

I've updated this tactic making a minor tweak, but it seems more effective and is more on the offensive side.

The previous version was on a quicker tempo. This has now been updated to extremely quick. When sides become ultra defensive with the lack of pure creativity in the system it at times struggled to break ultra defensive sides down. 

Although there is still no real creator in the side, playing at a max tempo does make things more difficult for the opponents. And I also think it's a better watch on the eye, and plays more like a SAF tempo.

This can be dloaded here or on the OP.

BJT-433-WOM-FM20-fv.fmf

Edited by BJT

Tweak Tests

Following the slight adjustment I thought I'd give this a test run in the EPL and other various leagues.

EPL Largest Win Record

It did do another quadruple with Liverpool like the original but additionally broke the largest win in the Premiership record after we beat Leicester 11-0. My biggest in the Premiership this FM. Probably just one of those games as the system isn't designed to be really heavy scoring but the additional tempo as mentioned above will give the side more of a punch when on the offence.

416537960_pool-11nil.thumb.png.94b4d0520d8947999f00f489d6f0337f.png

Ajax - Domestic Double / Undefeated / Record League Points

Really good run through with the Dutch side. With players gone like De Ligt and De Jong, did do some business to improve the squad. The investments worked well and we won everything domestically very comfortably. Lost to Man City on away goals in the ECL, which isn't an embarrassing scoreline at all.

625761285_ajaxtable.thumb.png.9bee9d85249474b42269d6fd3741fa3b.png2147144189_ajaxcupfinal.thumb.png.2597065442fa461a554466892004413f.png

Lazio - Serie A Winners / Euro Cup Winners

A good season for an outfit who had one of my favourite bosses at the helm, Sven Mr Overachiever with the England national football team :) To get the system in play out went Alberto and Patric and in came De Beek and Chiesa on the right being an offensive BBM and a winger also very competent playing inverted on the right.

This worked a treat, two hard working fellas with De Beek naturally suit the system we brought home both the Serie A and the Euro Cup. No idea how that game went to penalties we should have been miles ahead in that one but it needed pens in the end.

1402462216_laziotab.thumb.png.b9721c3211c953d523b43bba0e46f262.png26932358_lazioeuropa.thumb.png.dafd66776827ea3b64aac12d65335a22.png

AEK Athens - Greek Super League Winners / Greek Cup Winners

Only lost the one game domestically all year long and formed the basis for an excellent season expecting to finish 3rd from the start. After the first round of fixtures we were actually tied up the top with a better head to head vs PAOK. But with the Championship / Relegation split, we performed well in the difficult games and coasted our way to an 8 point gap in the end from PAOK whom we later beat in the Greek Cup Final with 10 men.

979164996_aektable.thumb.png.0b620d3ecc34c61e59003870673f52a6.png672528228_greekcup.thumb.png.660bf00b032903f60839ed2d53ab393f.png

Happy with the results and the mix of solidity with the offence of Jose and Sir Alex. It's a good watch seeing both of their styles play out in the same side :) 

Could you tell me what changes you made to your original tactic? Am struggling in the Premier League with Aldershot at the moment and think that the opening tactic would suit my team better but the download has disappeared.

Looks a great tactic 👏

13 minutes ago, couttinho said:

Could you tell me what changes you made to your original tactic? Am struggling in the Premier League with Aldershot at the moment and think that the opening tactic would suit my team better but the download has disappeared.

Looks a great tactic 👏

I just moved the tempo up one notch from quicker to extremely quick. I found it slightly helped to break more stubborn teams down. But given you're an underdog perhaps that invites too much pressure onto your side. Nothing else changed :) 

It works well if you have the players to suit it. Make sure you train your right BBM to get forward more often as the instructions differ from the left BBM.

3 hours ago, BJT said:
4 hours ago, couttinho said:

Looks a great tactic 👏

I just moved the tempo up one notch from quicker to extremely quick. I found it slightly helped to break more stubborn teams down. But given you're an underdog perhaps that invites too much pressure onto your side. Nothing else changed :) 

It works well if you have the players to suit it. Make sure you train your right BBM to get forward more often as the instructions differ from the left BBM

Thanks for that. Hopefully this will help turn the tide.

I'll make sure that I use the correct BBM on the right 👍

6 minutes ago, couttinho said:

Thanks for that. Hopefully this will help turn the tide.

I'll make sure that I use the correct BBM on the right 👍

Np. Gl :) I also have a JM 4141 tactic that plays very similar but is a more negative version more suitable for a slower back-line. It has the same setup so your squad would adapt quickly to it.

It's within the below thread.

On 06/04/2020 at 23:06, BJT said:

Tactic Update - FV (avail on OP)

I've updated this tactic making a minor tweak, but it seems more effective and is more on the offensive side.

The previous version was on a quicker tempo. This has now been updated to extremely quick. When sides become ultra defensive with the lack of pure creativity in the system it at times struggled to break ultra defensive sides down. 

Although there is still no real creator in the side, playing at a max tempo does make things more difficult for the opponents. And I also think it's a better watch on the eye, and plays more like a SAF tempo.

This can be dloaded here or on the OP.

BJT-433-WOM-FM20-fv.fmf 46.61 kB · 37 downloads

can you do a screen shot for your fm touch brothers ?

Season 2 - Celtic / ECL Winners + Domestic Treble

(BJT W.O.M 433 - Tactical Guide)

1687680623_eclfinal.thumb.png.97eed937345f968b4725f198f76be148.png100396220_eclgroup.thumb.png.82966e0378fb1f78c2a726af93d1fcd9.png29666994_ecltree.thumb.png.ae63d3c8156382c30df7959b66d42f29.pngsquad.thumb.png.ef98cf7dccb549924a54bbe3623555c9.png

BJT 433 - W.O.M - Brief Guide

With this my system designed for winning trophies, I wanted to see whether this system could achieve an ECL with a club that had won it once in the past and try to repeat that triumph. Celtic seemed the best choice as I thought it would take a little while to get The Bhoys as serious contenders for the Elite Trophy if even possible.

To my surprise, the ECL was conquered in just my second year at the club with all 3 domestic trophies. This was also on the back of a domestic treble first season.

I'm no genius and try to play FM the simplest and quickest way possible. But for those interested and want to use this tactic, given the success here I've made a brief guide that will help to try and get the very most from my system. I will upload all relevant screenshots at the end of the post for reference. I hope you find this useful.

Celtic Season 2 - ECL Triumph against the odds

We had a really tough group with Real Madrid, Napoli and Dortmund. We got second place in the group, including results such as 3-1 win vs Real, 4-1 and 0-2 vs Dortmund and remained undefeated vs Napoli.

Then to the knockouts we beat Man City 1st Round, Real Quarters, PSG Semi's, and then Liverpool in the final. It was no easy ride, but our home form and ability to counter-attack with real pace on each flank helped us to this victory.

To succeed on this FM, you need to have a very well crafted squad if you want to Plug n Play (like I do), but also have the ability to adapt to any situations that crop up in a football match. I don't tinker all day long like some experts may do. I simply look to play a winning style and build a squad geared around it, with any changes made still based on the main system so the ability to adapt in-game is not a difficult one for the players.

Brief Guide / based on FMT

-Squad Building / PPMs / Training (FMT)

-Time Wasting

-OIs - My Method of Defending

-10Men

-Set Pieces

It's not very complex. I follow strict rules in all my systems. They are designed to play a particular style of football. There isn't much of a need to change a lot of things. But there are just a few simple things that need real close attention to maximise the potential of a tactic and success in a season.

Squad Building

I always envision in my head the way I want my team to play, both defensively and offensively. I came up with this system based on winning the top level trophies. So firstly I recognise this is going to be most suited to players with a degree of ability. With that said, it can still work at the lower levels but the use of PPMs is what will give you the edge against sides of similar ability and lower attributes.

Knowing the style of play and the attributes required is a must. So with the roles, make sure your players have attributes that can play the role well. And having a high defensive line, to ensure you have sweeper keeper with fullbacks and the cover-defender that are quick and have good anticipation. Not too complicated right?

And with game style, analyse exactly how you're going to be a threat to the opponents. With this system, it's going to be pace down the flanks, and the need for creativity and a threat from distance from our Box to Box Midfielders. We also promote our full-backs to overlap when prudent to do so. So having dribbling and crossing ability is very helpful here. Common sense does prevail :)

My first season I had a slow left winger as I didn't have the funds to invest in someone suitable. He averaged by far the worst compared to the rest of my squad, although he was one of the top 3 players within the squad. Needless to say I got rid of him end of the year. We still won everything domestically, but we came 3rd in the group (although that was a group of death as well!).

We then went out to FCP first round of the Euro Cup.

PPMs / Training

These are so very important. In a post in my tiki taka Barca style of football I said an incorrect PPM or two can ruin a tactic. It can, but I should perhaps have also said the more beneficial PPMs you also have, will also enhance the tactic's effectiveness. This is exactly what happened in my Celtic save in this second season.

The screenshots below will show how practically every single player in my first XI were perfect. And if they weren't, I would train the individual to improve any attributes or PPMs I want to encourage them to learn. I believe that even if it doesn't become natural to them, if they have decent attributes and try to learn it, they will still be more inclined to carry out what they learn on the training ground onto the pitch.

In my case, it was our keeper who could throw the ball, lacked vision and didn't have the PPM to start counters with a long throw. This I encouraged him to do, and I could see him try this in our games with a good degree of success. 

I only play on FM touch, so it may be more complicated on the full game. But on this version, I also had the team training focus on the attacking side of the game. The tactic is of an attacking mentality, and with the lack of a play-maker that would typically ooze with creativity, being able to train in a style that will benefit your system is also hugely important. And so an Attacking emphasis was the style of training I implemented for my squad.

Again - nothing too complicated here.

Importantly note - In my system the right BBM plays like Lampard, and the left BBM is Gerrard. Compare the PPMs of Nitcham and Baselli. They are the perfect midfield fit in both how they play their game, but also the threat they pose from a distance. And then Pearson's PPMs the Makelele behind - a really strong central midfield trio.

Notice the full back PPMs too, both like to get forward whenever possible, and run down their respective flanks. Perfect to maintain the width with the Inverted Wingers cutting inside, and getting into those positions will frequently cause the opponents problems defensively as often as possible.

I also forgot our John Terry, Ajer. The stopper, aggressively diving into tackles with the ability to bring the ball out of defence. Lovely Jubbly :)

Time Wasting

I don't tinker with my base tactic in general. I only ever change time wasting on the current system when there are around 5 minutes to go when looking to hold onto a lead. Teams will certainly look to attack late on. And although it is no guarantee you can keep a gung-ho side out looking to equalise, like any football manager does you need to maximise the probability of your side holding on - or in my case also try and kill the game off on the counter.

This system is naturally attacking, and so like Fergie's Man Utd sides, they'll still look to pose a threat on the opposition and attempt to kill a game off on the counter. You'll notice the far right end of the time-wasting bar on this system doesn't have an option for often time-wasting - but still moving it to the far right will mean the side will be more likely to waste time compared to what they normally would do.

Never forget the importance of minor details which can make a huge difference at the end of a year.

OIs

I get a number of questions about OIs. How and why. As above where I mentioned I had a plan of how I want my team to attack - OIs also play a role in how I want my side to defend. This tends to vary based on the formations I use. In a 442/4231 with no designated central DM protecting the centre-backs, I will tend to force the opponents wide into the less desired areas of the pitch to attack and aim to have them cross predictable balls into the box. I then ensure my centre-backs are capable of competently dealing with the aerial threat.

In this system with a DM in front of my centre-backs, there is less of a need to let teams cross the ball into the box frequently as I can now use the strengths of a DM to both reduce the number of crosses we have to deal with, but also dispossess the opponents in the centre of the pitch which will lead to the chance of hitting teams on the counter-attack more regularly.

So don't forget to add these in as in my OP. What may seem a little detail, may just give you the edge in those tightly contested matches.

10 Men

This tactic requires a lot of hard work from top to bottom. Much aggression is involved and a lot of the players apart from the CBs are on hard tackling. So you will get red cards - knowing then what to do is vital.

There are two options. The popular go very defensive, or to still try and play your own game with 10 men. Knowing how I role, I will choose the later - but this still requires a lot of tinkering to maximise the chances of coming away with a positive result at a disadvantage.

My Method

I still try to play our game, but the formation becomes more solid to break down using two banks of four, whilst counter-attacking needs to be a lot more situational rather than highly frequent. I believe to try and alleviate pressure by playing our game as much as and safely possible, whilst having the ability to threaten the team at the other end. To me this is important which will also help to give rest-bite to our side when under the cosh. The pace I will have down our flanks is a real asset, so continuing to use this strength for me is important.

I do the following:

Players

*I sub / remove the BBM on the right who gets forward more often and move the DM into the midfield Strata changing his role to a CM-D

*The CM-D will now have mixed risky passing, less dribbling, hard tackling and tighter marking. The marking position also needs to be set to "none"

*The left BBM will now also have his marking position also set to None.

*Inverted wingers drop back to the Midfield Strata (also the individual marking positions are reduced from LB/RB to WBL/WBR).

Team

*Counter press is unticked, leaving counter and regroup mixed (a greater solidity, but still try to win the ball back quickly if possible to do so)

*GK distribution is now throw it long instead of roll it out (increase the chance of counter-attacking via our deeper placed Inverted Wingers and reduce chance for opponents to aggressively press our full-backs being a man short). We still roll it out to the full-backs if we can though in order to promote our wider shape when going forward. Not having a target man will mean we'll only kick it long when there isn't an option to distribute to our fullbacks. A keeper with good decision making should make the correct choice, and if needs to go long will do so.

Playing as Celtic means we can't afford to drop too many points in the league. So these changes are of a defensive, but still highly offensive nature. I didn't lose a game when going down to 10 men with these changes, winning the majority of them and included a 4-3 ECL win vs Liverpool playing with 10 men from the 60th minute when it was 2-2 at the time.

Perhaps a risky approach against Liverpool. But by parking the bus we would have waited for our demise. Trying to play our game and have spells of the ball will try to halt this. And perhaps them becoming complacent with the extra man and seeming to control the game made them more susceptible to being hit on the counter - which is how we broke them down beautifully.

Set Pieces

I spent a lot of time trying to get these correct defensively. We only let in 3 goals from corners in 50 games which isn't bad going. I prefer zonal compared to man-marking. There's a lot of misconception with it, but ultimately it actually works better than man to man marking - just the goals you can concede from it look atrocious and makes people believe it is not an effective method.

Offensively rather than trying to exploit the engine on set plays, my setup is a fairly standard one. And for corners simply put the ball into the danger zone and make it awkward for the keeper. Having a tall centre-back or two is very useful to be stronger from our corners. But what I will do is ensure we have or best set piece taker selected on all the free kicks, corners, best penalty taker, and our left / right full backs ordered to take the throws.

It's what most managers do, and so I won't do anything different to the normal here - at least it will ensure you have the best chance of benefiting from them from a well directed delivery, and from the throws have players in their correct positions for when these situations occur.

---

Well I hope anyone using this tactic or in general finds this guides useful. I can't guarantee it will work miracles every season - because in football every season is unique, and luck / injuries are different every year.

However it has served me well in general exceeding expectations and it completely surpassed any expectations I had with Celtic in this second season. It was a stronger squad than the first season, but more importantly every player bought suited the system with both attributes and PPMs across the board, really enhancing how I wanted my designed tactic to work. A few of the players also enjoyed the team's style of play - which was a nice little touch :)

I've uploaded the Squad as well so you can see the players that brought home the ECL to The Bhoys!

Screenies - PPMs Importance

pearson.thumb.png.23ad8111aca1d53b8c48a5ecd84d0809.pngnitcham.thumb.png.6e514678078c9b2e7f16a6c6f67e3066.pngfrimpong.thumb.png.ccb2e6827d4faecca587d5bb679d10c0.pngedouard.thumb.png.01059b44df1df0bb0f6623e9803466f0.pngbaselli.thumb.png.1b32ab465ccd4493e019b804095bccda.pngajer.thumb.png.033289e8d4a91e06df8771715ed03f43.pngtaylor.thumb.png.ac310fcc19e802bb82e3b5c82106c587.png

Edited by BJT

23 minutes ago, Azariiix said:

Nice, I currently trying to use this with my Arsenal squad (first season) as my backup tactic, rebuilding a team bit-by-bit for the CL in the second season. 

Got some decent inverted wide players for it at Arsenal...that Saka worked wonders on the right for me, Arsenal kid =)

1 minute ago, BJT said:

Got some decent inverted wide players for it at Arsenal...that Saka worked wonders on the right for me, Arsenal kid =)

I'm gonna grow Martinelli into an IW, he's good too. Just brought in Camavinga, and battling with RM for Florentino Luis.

6 minutes ago, Azariiix said:

I'm gonna grow Martinelli into an IW, he's good too. Just brought in Camavinga, and battling with RM for Florentino Luis.

Not heard of Camavinga, looks a good youngster on a search. Martinelli already looks a natural IW on my game. Torreira should be able to do a job at DM though for the mean time, just lacks strength there really. Guess you'll try and cash on him though?

6 minutes ago, BJT said:

Not heard of Camavinga, looks a good youngster on a search. Martinelli already looks a natural IW on my game. Torreira should be able to do a job at DM though for the mean time, just lacks strength there really. Guess you'll try and cash on him though?

I play Chambers at DM (untill I get Luis or anyone else), he's quite versatile. I play Torreira and Guendouzi as BBM's

15 minutes ago, BJT said:

Also any suggestion on a good young DLF? I plan to bring a backup for Lacazette.

7 minutes ago, Azariiix said:

Also any suggestion on a good young DLF? I plan to bring a backup for Lacazette.

Don't have the best player knowledge :) But Edouard for me at Celtic should naturally be able to bring players in from deep and he can put the ball in the back of the net with good aerial ability. He should have some decent years in him 21 years old I think. Strong, works hard too an okay back up. Not sure how much he'd cost though.

Hi mate, well I play on FM Touch so the options are limited I believe. But I choose "attacking" for emphasis, and just make sure each individual is working on their respective roles, improving any weak attributes for the role for their added focus, and train any PPMs that will assist in the role they play.

1 hour ago, suptirior__ said:

how do i ad ppm's?

It will be under an individual player's training. You can either discourage existing PPMs, or encourage them. Sometimes player may also develop some, likely based on the system and role they are playing regularly in.

The AI always adapts to a tactic....if you don't have the right players to suit the system both in design and PPMs, the systems weaknesses will get exploited and be less effective. So if your team don't play or suit the system well enough, then the results will suffer more extremely. Hence you should always use a tactic to the strengths of your squad.

Teams also have a run of bad form. I don't know the details of your save, so you'll have to make the judgement of your squad and analyse where you may have issues.

Are you on the full-game version? I'm on Touch here...yeah I don't bother with the media, unless it pops up and there's a big game or something then I might try and promote some words of wisdom to them :)  Takes all too much time for me.

I'd be most worried about players that already have PPMs that don't suit a system. It's better to have no PPMs than a negative one as that can really screw things up, and you may never be able to completely change the trait of that player.

Also make sure the players attributes suit the roles. I.E. the right BBM is instructed to get forward more often than the left, and both needs to be creative with good technical ability in addition to working hard etc. The system plays a high line as well so a quick cover defender is required, and the stopper must be aggressive in the tackle like JT.

All 11 players must be geared to play the system to get the most out of it.

Edited by BJT

Yeah not surprised if you haven't bought anyone. Got a lazy Pogba in midfield, no strikers that can really hold up the ball or have the vision to create for the inside forwards or a clinical finisher being one man up top. And if you are playing Mata he's as slow as hell if on the right cutting in. Maguire slow defender also, not the most suited of sides.

Think Pogba might also dwell on the ball and tries tricks? It's a quick tempo game - he'd ruin it.

Edited by BJT

• 2 weeks later...

This tactic has been absolutely fantastic for me. The play is great and the front 3 are all scoring lots.

tried with:

Hemel (conf south) walked league - didn’t do much in cups but only lost 2 league games.

liverpool - won everything. Beat Brighton 10-0 salah scoring for fun

barcelona - won everything 107 points. Messi killed it.

england - modest performances lots of 1-0, 2-1 wins but won Euro so cant complain.

for Hemel I feel like I need to switch for games against teams from higher leagues in the cups so gonna try your conte 343 - interested why you’ve used inside forwards for that and not inverted wingers like you have done on this tactic. The inverted wingers kill it on this.

5 hours ago, HHFC fan said:

This tactic has been absolutely fantastic for me. The play is great and the front 3 are all scoring lots.

tried with:

Hemel (conf south) walked league - didn’t do much in cups but only lost 2 league games.

liverpool - won everything. Beat Brighton 10-0 salah scoring for fun

barcelona - won everything 107 points. Messi killed it.

england - modest performances lots of 1-0, 2-1 wins but won Euro so cant complain.

for Hemel I feel like I need to switch for games against teams from higher leagues in the cups so gonna try your conte 343 - interested why you’ve used inside forwards for that and not inverted wingers like you have done on this tactic. The inverted wingers kill it on this.

Glad it's worked well for you also :)  Well my WOM system was designed to play at a real quick tempo. With the players in that particular formation and a full out DM in place it's an effective position to launch counters from. 

With the 343 it's different in style, and uses a Libero rather than a DLP fulltime @ DM, so defending is and has to be different. To get the most out the Libero he needs to be able to move into the DM position from sweeper and direct the play from there. This to me would mean the tempo can't be as extreme, although it can still be on the quicker side which is what I went for being on an attacking mentality.

I also use wing-backs as well for this particular purpose instead of full-backs who provide quicker support rather than supplement the midfield. So there should be more play in the centre of the park with the 343 as a result, and a greater inclination to look for an overlap / or utilise the overlapping wing-back to create more space for the inside forward to exploit.

Hi, well generally my attempts with not so much success. Minimum Time wasting, ensure a quick tempo and energy off the bench late is what I tend to do on the attacking mentality. So don't do that I suppose!

• 4 weeks later...