Playoffs

lionel messi

I suppose you are working on relegation play-offs between bottom placed Step 4 teams and Step 5 runners up.

Have you tried to have a look at the German leagues in the advanced editor? They have something pretty similar.

The only challenge you could face is probably related to the regionalization of these play-offs.

17 hours ago, Ivs said:

I suppose you are working on relegation play-offs between bottom placed Step 4 teams and Step 5 runners up.

Have you tried to have a look at the German leagues in the advanced editor? They have something pretty similar.

The only challenge you could face is probably related to the regionalization of these play-offs.

yes i have looked at the german leagues.

the thing is there is alot more teams. 7 from step 4 and 7 from step 5.

also step 5 promotes 3 teams from 3 leagues + the 4 best runners up from the remaining 11 leagues, then the remaining 7 teams play a playoff against a step 4 team for a chance of a promotion place.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not tried to do it as a group stage in years, and from memory it's fiddly as hell, but for a cup stage, it's quite easy. Create your main league stages for both divisions, and then your playoff stage in the higher division; you can then have it also appear in your lower division as an included stafe. Under each stage of your competition, there's a tab 'Other Comps To Add Stage To', simply add a listing there in your newly-created playoff stage including it in your second division, and you can also set the name it appears under in that competition, so you don't have a relegation playoff promoting teams from your division if the aesthetics of that bother you (like me).

To qualify the teams from the two divisions, go to the 'League Settings - Qualification Rules' tab for the main league stage in BOTH divisions. In your higher division, you set the Bottom Playoff Rules, showing the number of teams from that division you want to include and the name the stage will have in that division, and then under Relegation Rules you set the division to relegate to, and the minimum and maximum number of teams that can be relegated. Then, do the same for your lower division but under Top Playoff Rules and Promotion Rules.

Untitled.thumb.png.036f88b6bcd7b76052214a7bce57a743.png

In your playoff stage, once you've set up whatever rounds you want, need to get the teams involved, including accounting for if the lower division hasn't been loaded:

Untitled3.thumb.png.b12884d95d75cf54358218729fc13c4f.png

Finally, you need to tell the engine what to do once it's played the actual matches, and how that links to the league stage:

Untitled2.thumb.png.c047d74788872c2fa4134bc711a90304.png

On 25/03/2020 at 00:20, Chris M said:

I've not tried to do it as a group stage in years, and from memory it's fiddly as hell, but for a cup stage, it's quite easy. Create your main league stages for both divisions, and then your playoff stage in the higher division; you can then have it also appear in your lower division as an included stafe. Under each stage of your competition, there's a tab 'Other Comps To Add Stage To', simply add a listing there in your newly-created playoff stage including it in your second division, and you can also set the name it appears under in that competition, so you don't have a relegation playoff promoting teams from your division if the aesthetics of that bother you (like me).

To qualify the teams from the two divisions, go to the 'League Settings - Qualification Rules' tab for the main league stage in BOTH divisions. In your higher division, you set the Bottom Playoff Rules, showing the number of teams from that division you want to include and the name the stage will have in that division, and then under Relegation Rules you set the division to relegate to, and the minimum and maximum number of teams that can be relegated. Then, do the same for your lower division but under Top Playoff Rules and Promotion Rules.

Untitled.thumb.png.036f88b6bcd7b76052214a7bce57a743.png

In your playoff stage, once you've set up whatever rounds you want, need to get the teams involved, including accounting for if the lower division hasn't been loaded:

Untitled3.thumb.png.b12884d95d75cf54358218729fc13c4f.png

Finally, you need to tell the engine what to do once it's played the actual matches, and how that links to the league stage:

Untitled2.thumb.png.c047d74788872c2fa4134bc711a90304.png

But how do you do this if you have mutiple divisions at each level and if the level below has already had a promotion playoff but you want to include teams that did not get promoted in the initial promotion playoff?

1 hour ago, lionel messi said:

But how do you do this if you have mutiple divisions at each level and if the level below has already had a promotion playoff but you want to include teams that did not get promoted in the initial promotion playoff?

It's fiddly, but it sounds like the Spanish Segunda B system, where there's an initial playoff to promote 2 of the 4 division winners, and then the semi losers drop into another playoff stage with 2nd-4th from each division.

So you'd create your initial playoff in the parent competition for the lower divisions, and set it up with the fate actions to promote your winning teams. From looking at the Spanish setup, you don't have to include this within the child divisions, though it should work if you do.

Your second stage would be created, if I've read what you're aiming for right, within the parent competition for the upper divisions, and then included within the parent competion for the lower level. To get the second-chance teams from the lower division, you'd use the 'Qualify Team for Stage' fate action in the first playoff phase.

I think.