How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

5th of January 2009

Deportivo La Coruña begins my day with a bid of £5 million for Kristian Tanem. I look for something like about £11 million before they can talk to him.

In the afternoon, Djibril Diawara agrees terms with Badajoz and will leave my club on 27th of June 2009.

7th of January 2009

While Deportivo baulks at my valuation for Tanem, Valencia seem to have no trouble finding a spare £11 million lying around for the Norwegian. In that case, I’ll demand £12.5 million up front to be paid for the midfielder.

In the evening, the first leg of the third round of the Copa del Rey is played. Our conqueror from the second leg, Real Madrid, is beaten 4-1 by Extremadura in Almendralejo.

This morning, Valencia offered me £11 million for Tanem. Tonight, they are looking for a new manager as Guus Hiddink resigns from his position.

8th of January 2008

With a week to go before the transfer deadline is passed, the rumours in the papers swirl around the future of Bojan Djordjic. Apparently, he is linked with a £7 million move to Villarreal today. I deny the rumour.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cartagonova odyssey continues...!

9th of January 2009

Valencia will not spend £12.5 million on Tanem.

10th of January 2009

Borussia Dortmund would like to buy back Edú at the cost of £5 million paid over six months. A fee of £6 million ought to be sufficient.

Primera Liga - Game 17: Villarreal v Cartagonova

We travel to the 19th-placed club in the league this afternoon, looking to break the deadlock at the top of the ladder. Although the hosts attack first, we’re the club to break the deadlock when on six minutes, Notman and Rønning work together to set up Redondo, who puts the ball in the back of the net. Almost immediately we have our second goal when George Clegg runs unhindered down the right flank before pulling the ball back to the advantage of Cabrera, who flights in a great cross for Redondo to volley into the top corner of the net. icon_smile.gif Some thirteen minutes pass before Garrido tries his luck, but Carrasco has that shot covered. From the corner, Clegg finds Redondo unmarked, but the striker fails to land his hat-trick, skewing his shot wide of the goal. Villarreal attack us feebly when Victorino hits a shot wide of Vidal’s goal on 24 minutes, and we’re back on the attack through Garrido. However, Villarreal look a little more dangerous when Vidal needs to pull off a double saved from first Víctor and then Artur. On 31 minutes, Villarreal indeed pull a goal back through Frank Lampard. The English midfielder scores his first goal for Villarreal through a 30 yard pile-driver that gives Vidal no chance at all. icon_frown.gif But five minutes later, we restore our two-goal cushion when Carrasco can only parry Rønning’s powerful shot into the path of Clegg, who has an easy tap-in! icon_biggrin.gif In the run-up to half-time, we almost make it 4-1 several times through Rønning, Notman and then Clegg, but to no avail.

Five minutes into the second half, however, and we do make it 4-1 when Redondo finds Garrido steaming in from the right. The Spanish winger takes full advantage of the attacking move, polishing off a great drive past Carrasco to make it too difficult for Villarreal to fight back. To their credit, the hosts don’t give up, no doubt trying to protect some pride in the face of their fans, but their finishing ability has deserted their strikers, and we run out comfortable winners to go top of the ladder, albeit only for 24 hours, most likely.

Villarreal (4-2-4): Carrasco; Sonkaya, Medina, Alonso (Engonga 54), Olmo; Lampard, Artur ©; Gaitán, Adolfo (Dentinho 59), Víctor, Victorino (Moha 59).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Gavião; Rønning, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo (Samba 69), Notman.

Final score: Villarreal 1:4 Cartagonova

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

11th of January 2009

PSV Eindhoven would like to pay £6 million for Edú. I, on the other hand, would prefer £7 million. FC Schalke wants to pay me £6.75 million for the Brazilian. For them, I would like £8 million. Lyon waste their time offering £4.5 million for Tanem. If they will pay £13 million, then perhaps they can talk to the Norwegian.

We drop back to second after the remainder of the fixtures are played. Real Sociedad goes top after thrashing Alavés 4-1 at home, while Barcelona lose their third game to Numancia 1-0 in the Nou Camp to go down to fourth.

Garrido is named in the starting eleven of the Team of the Week, while Vidal and Gershon sit on the bench.

12th of January 2009

Valencia thinks it has a good chance of persuading me to part with Jaime Garrido for just £8.75 million. I don’t think so.

Borussia Dortmund return with a bid of £6 million for Edú. I put off making a decision for a week.

13th of January 2009

While Lyon cannot possibly match my expectations for Tanem, Valencia bowls up an offer of £13 million for the Norwegian midfielder. Mindful that the transfer deadline will pass for Spanish clubs in two days, I respond with terms of £14 million plus £3 million after twenty international appearances.

I also accept an offer from FC Schalke of £8 million over six months for Edú, while I delay a decision on PSV Eindhoven’s offer of £7 million payable immediately. In the evening, the Brazilian announces to me that he is delighted to have agreed terms with the German club, and the move will be completed tomorrow morning.

14th of January 2009

“… The short association of Brazilian forward Edú and Spanish champion Cartagonova formally ended this morning as the Brazilian completed an £8 million move to FC Schalke. The forward joined Cartagonova after Euro 2008 for £4.5 million from Borussia Dortmund, but found it difficult to break into Señor Flatline’s first team…â€

Although he is now worth £10.25 million, the price I managed to obtain for him is probably fair value, given he hardly appeared for the club when he was in Spain: Edú (30 y/o, BRA 17 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C): 3(4) apps, av. rating: 6.71

15th of January 2009

Valencia can’t find the extra money to satisfy me in relation to Tanem.

16th of January 2009

The Spanish transfer deadline passes. Let’s take a look at some of the big transfers involving Spanish clubs that occurred over the course of the past month:

· César (30 y/o, ESP 51 caps, 1 goal, D C): to Barcelona from PSV Eindhoven for £9.5 million on 15th of December 2008;

· Juan Carlos Falcón (29 y/o, ARG 22 caps, 2 goals, M RLC): to Barcelona from Vélez Sarsfield for £9 million on 15th of December 2008;

· Edú (30 y/o, BRA 17 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C): to FC Schalke from Cartagonova for £8 million on 14th of January 2009;

· Damián Manso (29 y/o, ARG 3 caps, 2 goals, AM C): to Barcelona from AC Milan for £7.25 million on 15th of December 2008;

· Mikel Aranburu (29 y/o, ESP 5 caps, AM RL): to Real Betis from Real Sociedad for £5.25 million on 15th of December 2008;

· Andrés Nicolás Olivera (30 y/o, URU 56 caps, 20 goals, AM/F LC): to Lazio from Real Madrid for £4.6 million on 2nd of January 2009;

· Gary Mason (29 y/o, SCO 5 caps, 1 goal, DM C): to Cartagonova from Real Vallodolid for £4.5 million on 15th of December 2008;

· Cherno Samba (23 y/o, ENG, S C): to Cartagonova from AS Roma for £4 million on 19th of December 2008;

All other transfers were worth less than £4 million.

17th of January 2009

This morning, José María Lacruz is linked with a move worth £2.1 million to Espanyol. As a matter of course, I deny the move will ever take place.

Primera Liga - Game 18: Cartagonova v Celta Vigo

Celta Vigo have not had a stunning record at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena, so there is no wonder that they start this match looking to defend stoutly their penalty box. It works, too, as they try to hit us on the counter-attack, but on 14 minutes, Vidal is there to tip away Diego Ribera’s pile-driver for a corner, which we manage to defend somewhat shakily. But once the ball is out of our defensive third, Garrido takes the pass from Cabrera and drives towards Celta’s goal, only for Asper to pull off a good stop from the Spanish international. But Celta aren’t quite so fortunate the next time we attack, as Gavião turns Diego Ribera inside out before smashing a curving, low drive past the outstretched tips of Asper’s fingers! icon_smile.gif We almost concede the equaliser a moment later as Bennedict McCarthy gets the better of my defenders, but is stopped by Vidal and then Cabrera manages to get in the tackle before the South African can pull the trigger a second time. Diego Ribera fails to succeed with a simpler move a few minutes later, with Vidal comfortably holding onto his stinging effort.

After Redondo, however, misses a fairly simple opportunity on 29 minutes, we do indeed concede the equaliser. From the goal kick, Toni lofts the ball forward, and Diego Ribera controls it well before tucking it with his right foot into the top corner of Vidal’s net. icon_frown.gif But we are only equal for two minutes, as Cabrera, Garrido and Clegg all combine to set up Redondo, who volleys home his 20th goal of the season on 33 minutes! icon_smile.gif On 40 minutes, the hitherto quiet Notman volleys an inch over Asper’s bar, and a moment later, we have the lead out to 3-1 when Garrido converts the free kick earned by the Scotsman! icon_biggrin.gif Redondo then proceeds to hit the woodwork with a searing volley a moment later, but then we are lucky not to concede when Diego Ribera sends a rocket sizzling over Vidal’s bar on 42 minutes.

The action continues in the second half, as Diego Ribera almost pulls it back to 3-2 on 57 minutes with another long range effort, but misses the target by a yard. Garrido then fails to hit the target with a bicycle kick on the hour mark, while Jorge Pérez is denied by a brilliant save from Vidal a moment later. After doing all the hard work in breaking free of the Celta Vigo defenders, Notman misses a chance on 64 minutes, and six minutes later, we are indeed pegged back to 3-2 when Casquero sets up McCarthy, who fends off Gershon before smashing an unstoppable shot into the top right corner of our net. icon_frown.gif But Celta Vigo seems to peter out after that, with only McCarthy going close in the last five minutes to really trouble us.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Michel, Gavião, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Celta Vigo (4-3-2-1): Asper; Domíngeuz (Guerrero 80), Marchena ©, Toni, Sorín; Xavi (Gustavo López 80), Astudillo, Casquero; Jorge Pérez (Espín 80), McCarthy; Diego Ribera.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Celta Vigo

MoM - George Clegg

After the game, I give César Cabrera an official warning for a poor performance. He cops it on the chin without comment.

Unfortunately, we remain second on the ladder as Real Sociedad easily claimed a 2-0 victory over bottom-placed Racing Santander on the road.

George Clegg makes the starting eleven of the team of the week for his efforts against Celta Vigo.

19th of January 2009

Once again, the morning begins with me needing to sort through various offers for Kristian Tanem. Lyon kick things off with a (rejected) bid of £4.5 million. Tottenham Hotspurs also makes an offer of £4.5 million. I decide to negotiate this one, asking for £12 million now and a further £2.5 million if he adds twenty international caps to the 31 he already has.

In the meantime, Liverpool’s favourite son transfers to the Old Lady of Turin for £17 million. The 29 year old, who has accumulated 56 caps for England and scored 20 goals in that time, has spent, until now, every minute playing for Liverpool since he appeared on the scene back in 1996/97. Even when Liverpool suffered the ignominy of dropping into the Nationwide League back in 2002/03 for two seasons, Owen stuck by the team, forgoing representation at the highest level in order to assist his club return to the Premier League. Since making his debut for Liverpool, Owen scored 255 times in 441 appearances, earning for himself legendary status amongst the hardcore fans of the club in the Kop end. However, silverware has been extremely rare for Owen, with only the Nationwide First Division champions’ medal to adorn his mantelpiece. Juventus is in dire need of reinforcements, as it is struggling to keep its head above the relegation zone, currently sitting 13th after fifteen games, and outside the relegation zone only on goal difference.

21st of January 2009

Spurs thinks I’m asking too much for Tanem, so David Pleat gives up on him.

In the evening, I’m surfing the Internet, and I find that Jaime Garrido is being praised by Football365.com. I feel constrained to add my words to the guestbook, agreeing with the praise lavished upon the winger.

22nd of January 2009

A day after Garrido is praised, Notman receives similar praise on the same web-site. Once again, I’m there to support the praise as much as I can, and then I see an interesting revelation about the sympathies of both the board and the fans. While they kept quiet about Garrido, the praise for Notman draws support from both the chairman, Señor Florentino Manzano (through his spokesperson, of course - I don’t think I’ve actually talked him for about five years! icon_biggrin.gif ) and the president of the fans’ association.

28th of January 2009

Primera Liga - Game 20: Espanyol v Cartagonova

After a disappointing draw against Real Betis on the weekend, I decide to rotate some of the fringe players into the first eleven. Michel is dropped (and is now unlikely to reappear for the club he has served so well), replaced by Bojan Djordjic, while Zlatan Muslimovic steps in for the rested Garrido. Per Vener Rønning takes the place of the dropped César Cabrera, who takes a place on the pine.

Although Espanyol are the first to attack, Thiago Motta forcing Vidal into a great save after three minutes, we draw first blood as Djordjic crashes home a brilliant free kick on 7 minutes after Notman is fouled by Maínz. It takes some time for Espanyol to try to fight back, but on the half-hour Vidal is busy when he needs to save from Martín Posse and then on 38 minutes, the veteran forward tries his luck again, only to find Vidal unbeatable. That wouldn’t have counted, though, as the referee pulls play back for off-side against Raúl Tamudo. We could have doubled our lead on 40 minutes when Esteban foils Notman’s chances of scoring, and then jumps on the ball before Clegg can tap in the rebound.

The second half begins somewhat slowly, and it isn’t until 56 minutes have elapsed before Muslimovic almost scores with a fluke cross-cum-shot that has Esteban scrambling across the face of his goal. Then Espanyol’s challenge collapses as on 73 minutes, Diego Maínz is sent off for two yellow cards. Seven minutes later, we make the most of the numerical advantage as Muslimovic seals victory at the second attempt for his first goal for Cartagonova! icon_smile.gif Djordjic almost marks a good personal appearance with a second goal in injury time, but his shot clears the bar by some way. We’ll take the 2-0 victory, though.

Espanyol (4-3-2-1): Esteban; Fábio Aurélio, Rodrigo (Soria 55), Maínz, Cuevas; Juanma (Peloca 60), Soldevilla, Sergio © (Jaime 60); Thiago Motta, Martín Posse; Tamudo.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, César; Tanem; Djordjic, Muslimovic; Clegg (Garrido 63); Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Espanyol 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Kristian Tanem

The only downside to come from this game is a suspected foot injury suffered by George Clegg early in the second half. I took him off as a precaution and I’ll have the physios look at him tomorrow morning.

With our twentieth game played to bring ourselves up to date with the majority of the league, it’s time to take a look at the ladder once again:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Cartagonova 20 6 5 0 15 7 6 1 2 23 9 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Real Sociedad 20 6 4 0 23 13 5 4 1 19 14 41

3rd Numancia 20 7 1 3 23 13 5 1 3 16 14 38

4th Barcelona 19 5 2 2 23 8 5 4 1 16 7 36

5th Betis 20 5 1 3 16 13 4 4 3 11 13 32

6th Celta 19 4 2 2 10 7 5 1 5 17 17 30

7th Espanyol 20 6 1 4 25 20 2 5 2 12 12 30

8th Valencia 20 4 4 3 17 12 4 2 3 10 7 30

9th Elche 20 7 1 1 13 5 1 4 6 9 21 29

10th Sporting Gijón 20 7 1 3 19 12 1 3 5 9 19 28

11th Real Madrid 20 4 5 2 24 17 3 1 5 12 14 27

12th Deportivo 20 4 2 3 17 9 3 3 5 15 20 26

13th Osasuna 20 4 4 1 10 5 2 2 7 12 21 24

14th Alavés 20 5 1 5 14 11 2 2 5 11 19 24

15th Atlético Madrid 20 2 2 5 17 18 4 3 4 17 16 23

16th Mallorca 19 2 4 2 13 8 3 4 4 8 14 23

17th Zaragoza 20 3 1 7 16 22 3 1 5 11 15 20

18th Athletic Bilbao 20 5 0 5 10 14 0 3 7 8 25 18

19th Villarreal 20 3 4 2 14 15 0 1 10 7 30 14

20th Racing Santander 19 1 5 5 5 17 0 1 7 3 17 9

</pre>

Quickly checking around other major European leagues, we find in England that Sheffield United holds a handy seven point break over Manchester United and Liverpool after 24 games. Watford and Chelsea have kissed goodbye their chances of winning the title already, being 13 points off the top, and six points behind Manchester United and Liverpool. At the other end, Norwich will struggle from here to stay up, while Middlesbrough and Queens Park Rangers also needs points and quickly to escape the clutches of relegation. It’s much closer in Italy, with just four points separating Lazio in first place to Venezia in sixth place after 17 games. AS Roma is hard on the heels of its cross-town rival, trailing Lazio by a point, with AC Milan a further point behind. At the bottom end of Serie A, Atalanta looks doomed to be relegated, and at this stage will be joined by Empoli, Cosenza and Piacenza, although Juventus will need to get points to stay out of the relegation zone. In Portugal, it looks like Benfica and Salgueiros will fight it out to the finish for the title, as they are locked together on 39 points from 18 games. Both enjoy a six point gap back to Beira-Mar and Sporting Lisbon. At the other end, Estoril, Marítimo and Boavista need points now to escape relegation.

Dixie Flatline

Well done Dixie, your story inspired me to take on Cartagonova myself in a game, after missing out on promotion first season (curse that bloody promotino group stage thing!!), we got promoted in the second season. Nice to be able to buy some foreigners now icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately it seems your earlier threads no longer exsist - how long did it take you to get rid of the players Cartagonova start with? Some of them (Pablo, Diego, Ruben Blaya) are actually quite handy.

Plus have the board ever upgraded the training facilities or number of seats in the stadium? icon_smile.gif they refuse to on mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by abu645:

HeHey Top of the league kutgw dixie icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, abu645! icon_smile.gif This season mirrors somewhat last season in that we've started slowly but built steadily to be top after 20 league games or so. Hopefully the same result will come about to complete the hat-trick of league titles! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Kurtz:

Well done Dixie, your story inspired me to take on Cartagonova myself in a game, after missing out on promotion first season (curse that bloody promotino group stage thing!!), we got promoted in the second season. Nice to be able to buy some foreigners now icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately it seems your earlier threads no longer exsist - how long did it take you to get rid of the players Cartagonova start with? Some of them (Pablo, Diego, Ruben Blaya) are actually quite handy.

Plus have the board ever upgraded the training facilities or number of seats in the stadium? icon_smile.gif they refuse to on mine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Colonel Kurtz, good to see you made it out of the jungle! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

I think you may be playing Cartagonova on CM 01/02, which I do not use - I've been playing this game for over 18 months now, and I never bothered to buy CM 01/02, preferring to wait for CM 4. So, I don't actually remember those players you named in the Cartagonova squad. If you want to read the stories of Cartagonova in the Segunda Liga and Segunda Liga B, then click on the following links:

In 2001, in Spain, the Rain still falls mainly on the Plain - Cartagonova in 2001!

May too far away - Cartagonova 2001/02

When Sunday Comes - Cartagonova 2002/03!

Yes, the board has upgraded the stadium to 36,000 capacity, but with only 12,000 seating (unbelievable that they still would have terraces in a Primera Liga club in 2008!). Unfortunately, while they have promised to upgrade the training facilities, they have not yet done that.

Cheers,

Dixie

Not too far away from the awards ceremony - let's see if we can keep up the interest before then!

29th of January 2009

Bari signs PSV Eindhoven’s striker Ruud van Nistelrooy for £8.75 million.

30th of January 2009

The morning begins with Inter Milan offering £8.75 million for Alex Notman. Not even half what he is worth.

Spurs waste their time offering £5.5 million for Tanem.

1st of February 2009

Primera Liga - Game 21: Elche v Cartagonova

After our midweek game, Redondo is slightly unfit, so he is rested in place of Cherno Samba, while George Clegg passes a fitness test with flying colours and starts the game. In other respects, I keep the same eleven that defeated Espanyol to put us top of the ladder. But we begin poorly when a mistake at a goal kick by Vidal allows Guede to get the jump on my defence and to land a shot in the top corner after just seven minutes. icon_frown.gif This is compounded when on 26 minutes, Garrido has to be carried off with what looks like a serious injury - Muslimovic takes his place on the right. To make things worse, we had just conceded a free kick, and Vidal needs to be at full stretch to deny Guede converting it. icon_mad.gif

Elche keep up the pressure and on 30 minutes, Júnior almost breaks through but is foiled by a good save from Vidal. Yet, we can’t keep possession and are lucky when Guede hits a poor shot over Vidal’s bar a moment later. Vidal’s long goal kick is effortlessly controlled by Notman, and the Scottish international demonstrates exactly why he is one of Europe’s premier strikers when he goes past the Elche defence like they aren’t there before lashing home the equaliser on 32 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif But our defence is swept aside again on 43 minutes by Castillo - fortunately, Vidal is on hand to prevent us going behind again. Notman almost puts us in the lead a moment later, but Dorronsoro is there to stop his volley succeeding.

Five minutes into the second half, Castillo rattles Vidal’s cross-bar with a fierce drive, but we take the lead on 52 minutes when César flights over a perfect cross that just invites Samba to tuck it into the back of the net. The Englishman duly obliges, and we have the lead for the first time in the match! icon_cool.gif Two minutes later, Notman almost extends it but for the brilliance of Dorronsoro and the coolness of Ettien, while on 63 minutes, Samba is denied by another good save from the Spanish keeper. On 67 minutes, though, we have better luck when Notman scores his second goal of the game, converting Clegg’s fine pass with ease. We should have a penalty a moment later when Muslimovic is barged over in the box, but the referee bows to the home crowd’s pressure and waves our appeals away. It could have been important when on 76 minutes, Castillo pulls a goal back for Elche, and Guede almost equalises late in the game, but we hold on for an important victory that puts us four points clear at the top as Real Sociedad loses 3-1 to Barcelona in the Nou Camp.

Elche (4-1-2-1-2): Dorronsoro ©; O’Mara, Mascorro (Sánchez 69), Martín Rivas, Ettien (Rodríguez 76); Bernardi; Kuhl, Júnior; Roy González; Guede, Castillo.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, César; Tanem; Djordjic, Garrido (Muslimovic 26); Clegg; Samba (Hernández 77), Notman.

Final score: Elche 2:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

Unfortunately, we have to draw a line through Jaime Garrido’s name for up to three months after he tore a groin muscle in the Elche game. That rules him out of Spain’s next game against Georgia in 48 days’ time - couple that with a broken leg suffered by Gerard a few weeks ago, and we’re beginning to look a little thin in the creative department.

It was a very quick update! icon_smile.gif

Keep smiling! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

Ah, Colonel Kurtz, good to see you made it out of the jungle! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

I think you may be playing Cartagonova on CM 01/02, which I do not use - I've been playing this game for over 18 months now, and I never bothered to buy CM 01/02, preferring to wait for CM 4. So, I don't actually remember those players you named in the Cartagonova squad. If you want to read the stories of Cartagonova in the Segunda Liga and Segunda Liga B, then click on the following links:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=9861949801&p=1

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=1041983971&p=1

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=6231921722

Yes, the board has upgraded the stadium to 36,000 capacity, but with only 12,000 seating (unbelievable that they still would have terraces in a Primera Liga club in 2008!). Unfortunately, while they have promised to upgrade the training facilities, they have not yet done that.

Cheers,

Dixie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah right didn't realise you were using the earlier CM.

of course about an hour after i posted that reply, the board upgraded the stadium to 25500 with 7500 seats, they won't budge on the youth training facilities though.

Good luck with the rest of your Cartagonova career!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

A quiet Christmas in the office should be enough time to read this novel-esque story in it's entirity. I've read the first few pages of "In 2001..." and I'm hooked already!

Seasons Greetings, and I'll check in some time round the New Year to let you know what I think. KUTGW!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Kurtz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=9861949801&p=1

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=1041983971&p=1

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=21019056&f=97319217&m=6231921722

Cheers,

Dixie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah right didn't realise you were using the earlier CM.

of course about an hour after i posted that reply, the board upgraded the stadium to 25500 with 7500 seats, they won't budge on the youth training facilities though.

Good luck with the rest of your Cartagonova career!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as you will read, I haven't finished the season yet, so I don't know whether this is the time the board upgrades the training facilities, but I hope so! icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your wishes! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gricehead:

A quiet Christmas in the office should be enough time to read this novel-esque story in it's entirity. I've read the first few pages of "In 2001..." and I'm hooked already!

Seasons Greetings, and I'll check in some time round the New Year to let you know what I think. KUTGW!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much Gricehead, and same to you! icon_smile.gif

I look forward to hearing what you think in a few days or so, as we come up to NY '03! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

This is probably the last update before 2003 hits us, so enjoy it!

2nd of February 2009

I waste a good half an hour on the Monday morning rejecting a bid of £10.25 million.

3rd of February 2009

With the European Champions' League about to kick off in a week’s time, I’m contacted by UEFA to finalise the squad for the remainder of the competition. After some deliberation, I finalise the squad as follows:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): 322(1) apps, 373 conceded, 28 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32

Davide Bagnacani (29 y/o, ITA, GK): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00

Jean-François Gillet (30 y/o, BEL 26 caps, GK): 6 apps, 8 conceded, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.33

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (31 y/o, ISR 50 caps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C): 172(4) apps, 7 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.21

César Cabrera (23 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D RL): 51(3) apps, 1 goal, 14 assists, av. rating: 6.85

César (28 y/o, ESP 18 caps, 1 goal, D RL): 51(2) apps, 1 goal, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.96

José María Lacruz (30 y/o, ESP, D RL): 205(6) apps, 2 goals, 13 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.64

Martin Smith (30 y/o, DEN 38 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 53(3) apps, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.00

José Manuel Lasa (23 y/o, ESP, D C): 25 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.00

Axel Wingård (28 y/o, SWE 4 caps, D C): 20(3) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.82

Midfielders

Per Vener Rønning (26 y/o, NOR 15 caps, 2 goals, D/DM/F LC): 27(19) apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.02

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 15 caps, 3 goals, DM C): 167(7) apps, 28 goals, 34 assists, 14 MoMs, av. rating: 7.41

Gary Mason (29 y/o, SCO 5 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 0 apps

Andy Owen (23 y/o, WAL 27 caps, 9 goals, DM/S C): 0 apps

Kristian Tanem (25 y/o, NOR 31 caps, 17 goals, DM/F C): 34(15) apps, 5 goals, 11 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29

Byron Bubb (27 y/o, ENG 3 caps, 1 goal, AM RC): 7(2) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.00

George Clegg (28 y/o, ENG 1 cap, AM/F RC): 164(22) apps, 48 goals, 39 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34

Zlatan Muslimovic (27 y/o, BOS 52 caps, 24 goals, AM/F RC): 5(7) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.17

Bojan Djordjic (26 y/o, SWE 15 caps, 1 goal, AM LC): 14(6) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.00

Michel (33 y/o, ESP, AM L): 287(13) apps, 42 goals, 65 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.12

Juan Hernández (23 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): 37(26) apps, 20 goals, 12 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.30

Forwards

Alex Notman (29 y/o, SCO 25 caps, 14 goals, AM/F C): 156(6) apps, 102 goals, 44 assists, 38 MoMs, av. rating: 8.07

Ariel Carreño (29 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 22(19) apps, 15 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.37

José Manuel Redondo (32 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C): 296(11) apps, 170 goals, 76 assists, 45 MoMs, av. rating: 7.78

Cherno Samba (23 y/o, ENG, S C): 2(3) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.40

Lilian Thuram and Jaime Garrido are left out of the squad - Garrido is out for three months, so he would only be feeling his way back into football by the time May comes around. With the departures of Edú and Ballesteros, there is room for Axel Wingård, Gary Mason, Andy Owen and Cherno Samba to come into the squad.

4th of February 2009

Tottenham Hotspurs get me out of bed in the morning to deal with a bid of £6.25 million for Kristian Tanem. I respond by demanding £12.25 million now, a further £2.5 million after twenty league games, and a 15% sell-on clause attached to the deal.

6th of February 2009

It takes them a couple of days to make up their minds, but David Pleat and the board of Tottenham Hotspurs decide not to pursue Tanem at this time.

7th of February 2009

I’m staggered to hear this morning on the radio that Alex Notman’s agent believes that Bayern München is close to concluding a £4.5 million move that will see the Scotsman move back to Germany, while the radio pundit believes that Udinese is also in the frame for his signature. Such wild speculations are completely inaccurate and I make sure that everybody in Spain hears that! icon_mad.gif

In the afternoon, the nation is absorbed by a classic attacking encounter between Numancia and Celta Vigo that ends in a high-scoring 4-4 draw. The hosts go 2-0 up in the space of two minutes when Óscar and Melgar score on 13 and 15 minutes. Then Christian makes it 3-0 to Numancia on 29 minutes and it begins to look very bad for the visitors. With four minutes to go, Melgar converts a penalty earned by Carlos Martins to make it 4-0 to Numancia at the break. However, immediately after half-time Gustavo López gives Celta Vigo a chance when he scores to make it 4-1. Then Celta Vigo scores three times in the space of four minutes to level the game. Jorge Pérez scores first on 54 minutes, then Astudillo makes it 4-3 two minutes later, before Pérez puts his name on the scoresheet for the second time on 58 minutes.

The point is enough to put Numancia in second spot three points behind us, at least for twenty-four hours. In the meantime, Deportivo La Coruña holds Barcelona to a 1-1 draw at the Nou Camp, with Ignacio Morán equalising on 58 minutes to cancel out Matteo Brighi’s 29th minute goal for the hosts. The same score line is repeated in Madrid, where Real Madrid is held to a 1-1 draw by Espanyol. Sebastián Abreu gives the visitors the lead on 9 minutes, only for Dejan Stankovic to respond on the stroke of half-time. The fourth Primera Liga game played this afternoon, between bottom-placed Racing Santander and Mallorca, finishes in a dull 0-0 draw, which suits neither club at all.

8th of February 2009

Primera Liga - Game 22: Cartagonova v Osasuna

When the league’s leader plays the fourteenth-placed club in the division, most pundits would predict that the leader would win the game quite comfortably, especially when played at home. But Osasuna come to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena quite determined to leave with at least a point and hope that Jurandir and Oktay might be able to steal a goal on the break. When that determination is coupled with a goalkeeper playing out of his skin, pulling off several remarkable saves to deny players like Alex Notman and Andy Owen, my frustration levels are bound to climb as each minute ticks past. Finally, Zlatan Muslimovic manages to put one past Palop with eleven minutes to play, and our lead is doubled when Alex Notman’s persistence pays off on 85 minutes. Mind you, this is when Osasuna is reduced to ten men through the injury to Oktay when there are no more substitutions available. But I could do without a struggle like that one! icon_wink.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon (WingÃ¥rd 70), Smith, César; Djordjic, Tanem, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo (Owen 70), Notman.

Osasuna (3-5-2): Palop; Navarro, Saavedra, Kuffour; Nakamura (Schmidt 71), Palacios, Trobbiani (Slovic 59), Herrero ©, Héctor; Oktay, Jurandir (Dani 59).

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Osasuna

MoM - Alex Notman

Alex Notman makes the starting eleven of the team of the week for his efforts in securing victory for Cartagonova against Osasuna. The victory sets up an early birthday gift for me, as it extends our lead over Numancia to six points! icon_smile.gif

10th of February 2009

Lyon makes a bid of £5.5 million for Kristian Tanem. Something more like £12.25 million plus £2.5 million after twenty league games and a 15% sell-on clause in the deal will be sufficient to shift me.

The European Champions' League begins again this evening, and the big result comes from Old Trafford where Manchester United is beaten 3-0 by Barcelona in a game reminiscent of the match where Romário took apart the Red Devils back in the mid-1990s. This time, it is Patrick Kluivert (with two goals) and Juan Sebastián Verón who do the damage. To make matters worse for the English club, they lose talismanic striker Keith Lyons for three weeks, and English international midfielder Mick O’Brien for the same amount of time. It’s a bad evening for English clubs, as Arsenal suffer a 2-0 loss at the hands of Celta Vigo in Spain. Their cause wasn’t helped by the dismissal of Simon Davies after just two minutes for a terrible challenge on Quique Ãlvarez which conceded a penalty converted by Toni. His replacement, the young Matthew Carr, gave away another penalty on 25 minutes which Toni also converted. Real Madrid bounced back from some indifferent form to defeat Bayern München in Germany 2-1, while Bari also inflicted a 2-1 loss on Feyenoord away from home.

11th of February 2009

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group B, Game 3: Cartagonova v NK Dinamo

I drop Rønning and rest Notman this evening as we seek our ninth consecutive victory in the European Champions' League this season, with Cabrera and Tanem taking their places. On 7 minutes, the Norwegian international tries a volley from Gavião’s pass that is well saved by Galinovic. Some 19 minutes later, Tanem heads a Djordjic cross towards goal, but once again Galinovic is there to stop us taking the lead. I’m then forced into making a change on 33 minutes when Redondo is forced from the field with an injury - it allows Andy Owen to come onto the pitch for the Spaniard. Three minutes later, we have our opening goal of the game when Owen and Cabrera tee up Tanem. The Norwegian sweeps the ball across the penalty area where Muslimovic is racing in to smash a low drive past the outstretched fingertips of Galinovic. Right on half-time, we double our lead when Tanem obtains due reward for his first half work as he heads home Cabrera’s excellent cross.

NK Dinamo finally troubles Vidal when on Tokic smashes a drive against the bar, but at the other end Galinovic needs to deny Tanem again with another good save. On 62 minutes, Byron Bubb replaces Juan Hernández, and on 75 minutes he almost scores with a low right-footed shot that Galinovic does well to save. Muslimovic almost adds a third on 83 minutes, but hits his shot over the bar. At the end of the game, our record is blemished when NK Dinamo pull back an undeserved consolation goal through Pilipovic who swoops on the loose ball after César tackles Sokota and puts it past Vidal. icon_frown.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Djordjic, Gavião, Muslimovic; Hernández (Bubb 62); Redondo (Owen 33), Tanem.

NK Dinamo (5-3-1-1): Galinovic; Toth, Tokic ©, Crnac, Maglica, Lesjak; Pilipovic, Gondzic, Pavlovic; Mikic (Sokota 55); Balaban.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 NK Dinamo

MoM - Kristian Tanem

I consult with the club’s doctor and the physios, who agree that the prognosis on Redondo is that he’ll miss a week with a severely gashed leg.

On the up-side, we achieve the highest ever gate receipts, with just over £540,000 to be banked tomorrow from the game. It beats last year’s record of £500,000 set in an European Champions' League game against Neftchi.

12th of February 2009

Lyon give up on Tanem once again.

I am asked in the evening on a televised interview about the title credentials of my club. As with previous occasions, I indicate that we are gunning for the title (our third in a row), and that pleases both the chairman and the fans. In the paper, I see that an opinion poll of the fans supports my optimism for the success in the season, while the chairman contacts me personally after the program to express his delight with my assessment of the club’s chances of success this season.

14th of February 2009

Valentine’s Day 2009 dawns with Bayern München submitting a bid of £12.25 million payable over six months for Alex Notman. Such a bid is not entertained for very long by myself.

Athletic Bilbao would like to pay £2.1 million for José María Lacruz over six months. If they could pay £2.8 million over six months, they may have an opportunity to convince the Basque-born player to return to his former club.

Primera Liga - Game 23: Athletic Bilbao v Cartagonova

I’m not going to spend too long on this game. We completely and utterly dominate it after Aitor Karanka is sent off for a professional foul inside the first minute. Notman almost beats Aranzubia with a volleyed shot seven minutes later, while Djordjic should have done better when he out-judges Aranzubia but hits the post with a shot a moment later. The Swede almost puts one past the keeper with a free kick on 11 minutes, while Wingård is unlucky to see a bullet header brilliantly saved by the Athletic Bilbao keeper. Gavião smashes a volley over the bar on 16 minutes, but the goal kick is terrible and George Clegg takes full advantage, slamming it straight back past the horrified keeper! icon_smile.gif The hosts have their one and only shot at goal on 27 minutes when Felipe sends a shot into the crowd behind Vidal’s goal. Aranzubia remains the much more busier keeper when Tanem, Gavião and Notman all go close in the space of six minutes.

On 38 minutes, Tanem glides past Jusué like he isn’t there, but again Aranzubia maintains a solid barrier between ourselves and extending the lead - that is, until the 40th minute when the referee and linesman decide as between themselves and ignoring the protests of the players and the home crowd to send Aranzubia off for a trip on Notman. Gavião duly converts the penalty past substitute keeper Lafuente, and the match really is over. The second half is more quiet, with Wingård launching a long-range rocket over the bar on 54 minutes, while Zlatan Muslimovic adds a third on 66 minutes with a fierce shot from César’s cross. That effectively ends the game as I wrap up my star player, Alex Notman, in cotton wool on 71 minutes, replacing him with Cherno Samba, while Gavião is replaced by Andy Owen at the same time.

Athletic Bilbao (4-4-2): Aranzubia; Padilla, Karanka, Jusué, Chema; Ezquerro (Barkero 53), Espadas, Arteta, Etxeberría ©; Ion (Arce 66), Felipe (Lafuente 40).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, WingÃ¥rd, César; Gavião (Owen 71); Djordjic, Muslimovic; Clegg; Tanem, Notman (Samba 71).

Final score: Athletic Bilbao 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

With second-placed Numancia drawing 0-0 today against Real Betis, we extend our lead at the top to eight points.

15th of February 2009

Our lead at the top of the ladder is shaved back to seven points as Real Sociedad’s 2-1 victory over Mallorca sees them overtake Numancia to move into second place. But the giants of Spanish football both stumble this weekend - Atlético Madrid ensures that Barcelona’s travel to the capital is less than successful with a 2-0 win over the Catalan club, while Real Madrid leave Coruña downcast with a 2-0 loss against Deportivo la Coruña.

César is named at right-back in the team of the week, while Alex Notman and Zlatan Muslimovic sit on the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maollelujah:

Still one of the best stories out there, or should I say the best.

mao<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, mao! icon_smile.gif I'm happy you think it's the best story out there. Obviously not enough people agreed with you to allow me to scoop the CMS award, but that's by the bye now...! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

Happy new year to you, and I hope you continue to read the story!

Cheers

Dixie

... And a happy new year to all the readers of this odyssey! Let's see how far we can go in 2003!

Yes, I'm back to deliver more from Cartagonova to hopefully keep you all entertained in the new year! icon_cool.gif

I have a heap of updates to post, so let's get to it, shall we?! icon_rolleyes.gif

16th of February 2009

It’s all bad news this morning. I read in the papers that Martin Smith wants to move to Real Madrid for just £3 million. I immediately set in train the process to deny the move through official club channels (eg. radio, print and web), while I ask my secretary to schedule an appointment for half an hour’s time to talk things through with Smith and his agent on a conference call. They both come in for some stern words from me about the ‘right way of doing things’ and that they have not done things the ‘right way’. I don’t think I managed to get through, especially to Smith’s agent, but at least I vented my feelings about this betrayal.

Then I’m confronted by an official transfer request from Gavião, who cites the reason that he wants to work for a different manager as his reason for leaving. Given that his contract expires at the end of the 2009/10 season, and I’m far from likely to ever renew it, given the depths our relationship has plumbed in the last season, I reluctantly grant it, and immediately gird my loins for the bidding war that will undoubtedly break out once it becomes public that Spain’s best defensive midfielder is on the market.

Athletic Bilbao call off its interest in José María Lacruz for the time being.

“… In today’s football news, leading the headlines is the sensational news from Spanish club champion, Cartagonova, as manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, has agreed to put Gavião on the market. The Spanish international, a naturalised Brazilian, immediately captured the hearts of Cartagonova fans when he signed on a free transfer after being released by Grêmio back in the 2004/05 season. However, Gavião, who has appeared 15 times for his adopted country with three international goals, became antagonised by what he saw as poor man-management decisions made by his club and international manager, and the relationship has deteriorated even further this season. With the player’s contract set to expire at the end of next season, it appeared today that there was no chance of a redemption at club level, and Gavião looks set to move to Real Madrid in the summer. Cartagonova officials refused to release what the club believes the player is worth, but some connected to the manager believe that nothing short of £7.5 million will be needed to complete the deal. We will, of course, continue to update you on this breaking story…â€

17th of February 2009

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group B, Game 4: NK Dinamo v Cartagonova

We take our nine game winning streak to Croatia and the return game against NK Dinamo. Unlike the match at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena a week ago, NK Dinamo are more prepared to take chances in the search of a goal, and Bosko Balaban almost scores on 13 minutes when he evades our defence long enough to shoot at Vidal’s goal, but the keeper is there to stop the shot succeeding. There are plenty of attacking moves made by both sides as the minutes tick by, but hardly anything trouble either keeper. On 40 minutes, though, Pavlovic manages to force the ball past Iván Vidal, but fortunately we are saved by the linesman’s flag for off-side. It takes until the 55th minute before the deadlock is broken when George Clegg volleys home Gavião’s beautifully crafted cross. A few moments later, NK Dinamo’s Ivancic smashes the ball against the post, and on 61 minutes he hits an overhead scissors kick over the bar. On 70 minutes, Notman almost makes it 2-0 but for the intervention of Galinovic, and then Tanem sends the rebound almost unbelievably over the bar. On 75 minutes, Djordjic shoots over the bar, while on 79 minutes, Clegg is saved by Galinovic.

NK Dinamo (5-3-2): Galinovic; Toth, Mestrovic, Tokic ©, Maglica, Lesjak; Pavlovic, Mikic (Sokota 56), Gondzic; Ivancic (Basic 68), Balaban.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Smith, WingÃ¥rd, César; Gavião; Djordjic, Muslimovic (Bubb 61); Clegg; Tanem (Samba 78), Notman.

Final score: NK Dinamo 0:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

The victory sets a new record in recent times for the most consecutive number of victories in the European Champions' League, being our tenth straight win in the competition. It breaks the record of nine victories we shared with Ajax Amsterdam that was originally set in 2003/04, while we also won nine on the trot in 2005/06.

18th of February 2009

Celta Vigo makes an offer this morning of £2.6 million for César Cabrera. I immediately reject it. I also reject a bid of £2.9 million for Martin Smith from Real Madrid.

“… Former Spanish international forward, José Mari, will join Italian club Udinese in a deal worth £10.75 million to his current club, Nantes. The Spaniard commenced his professional career with Sevilla back in 1995/96, before shifting to the capital and Atlético Madrid in 1997/98. Two excellent seasons with Atlético attracted the attention of AC Milan, and he shifted to Italy in time for the 1999/2000 season, but found it difficult to hold down a regular place. After impressing in the 2002/03 season, he moved to Borussia Dortmund, but never really settled, and moved to France with Nantes in time for the 2005/06 season, where he has made 107 appearances, scoring 45 goals in the process…â€

Unfortunately, training this evening claims an injury casualty, as Bojan Djordjic goes down with a strained neck that will keep him out for ten days. Djordjic had become important to my plans recently, so his loss is rather unfortunate.

“… Two Spanish clubs have already booked passage to the knock-out phase of the European Champions' League, with Cartagonova being the first to go through after notching up its tenth consecutive victory in this season’s competition against NK Dinamo yesterday, while Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat of Manchester United at the Nou Camp has also put them into the knock-out phase…â€

19th of February 2009

DC United makes an offer of £3.2 million over 18 months for Cabrera. It is knocked back immediately.

The first bid for Gavião lands on my desk, with Deportivo leading the charge in offering £3.1 million over six months for the Spanish international midfielder. I up the stakes to £5 million over six months, plus 10% of next sale, £1.5 million after twenty league games, and £1.5 million after ten internationals.

The media has fastened upon Numancia as the only club that can challenge this season for the title, with some intense speculation this evening on whether they can maintain their challenge for the league.

20th of February 2009

DC United offers £3.8 million for Cabrera over 18 months. I don’t consider it at all before I reject it.

The work week ends with several papers calling upon me to pick Ignacio Morán of Deportivo la Coruña for the next few Spanish games. I’ll certainly give it some consideration.

21st of February 2009

Celta Vigo wastes its time offering £2.5 million for César. In the meantime, Real Madrid makes an offer of £3.5 million for Martin Smith. That is still rejected.

The Confederations Cup is going to be held at the end of the European season. We are drawn in Group 2, with Australia, Ivory Coast and Mexico. Group 1 features Colombia, the Netherlands, Iran and Portugal.

Deportivo la Coruña gives up on Gavião at this stage.

22nd of February 2009

Primera Liga - Game 24: Cartagonova v Espanyol

Unfortunately for the spectators crammed into the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena, this is not a game of high skill and technique, particularly in front of goal. We manage to fashion eight shots on goal, but only three are on target, while Espanyol could only manage two shots on target from six attempts. Fortunately, though, the only goal of the game goes to the home side, with George Clegg scoring his tenth goal of the season to finish off a great team move involving Rønning, Gavião and César. I hold my breath at the death when Cuevas and Zubizarreta work an opportunity, but Zubizarreta has too much attention paid to him by Gershon and Smith to make the most of the chance and we survive with a 1-0 victory this afternoon.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning (Cabrera 79), Smith, Gershon, César; Michel, Gavião, Muslimovic (Bubb 28 (Hernández 79)); Tanem, Notman.

Espanyol (4-3-2-1): Esteban; Fábio Aurélio, Rodrigo, Maínz, Cuevas; Sergio, Soria, Soldevilla; Thiago Motta, Zubizarreta ©; Abreu.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Espanyol

MoM - George Clegg

23rd of February 2009

George Clegg is praised by the football web-site soccerage.com, and I agree that George is playing some of the best football of his career, although the season in which we won the championship and the European Champions' League was probably a better season (but he did miss the final, much to the delight of Fernando Morán, who scored twice on that day to win us the final against Porto).

24th of February 2009

I’m surprised to see Real Madrid make an offer of £3.7 million for Iván Vidal. That is just over double what Vidal is worth in the marketplace, but I’m not willing to sell the club’s captain just yet.

27th of February 2009

The pressure is subtly turned up on myself by various members of the media to pick Numancia attacking midfielder Fernando Morán. The 18 year old has certainly impressed in his first full season with Numancia since joining from Lleida half-way through the 2007/08 season, but I think he needs still some experience at top flight football before he could seriously be considered for selection. He is in the U-21 squad, and I’m content to keep him there for the time being.

28th of February 2009

Deportivo la Coruña offers the club £3 million for Gavião over six months. I want £7.5 million payable now.

Primera Liga - Game 25: Real Madrid v Cartagonova

While Real Madrid may be struggling to make much headway this season, being twelfth after twenty-four games, there is no doubt they are a difficult side to beat at home. So I’m surprised and relieved to see them completely asleep for the first ten minutes of the game, which allows Alex Notman to score twice - on six and nine minutes - with the second goal coming from a defensive howler from Medina, who couldn’t find his comrade Roberto Carlos without it being picked off by Notman! icon_smile.gif On 28 minutes, Real Madrid’s celebrations at a goal for Rubén Navarro are cut short by the linesman’s flag, while on 36 minutes, Notman’s header is brilliantly saved by U-21 keeper Calvo. As the seconds in injury time tick away, Vidal does well to save from Edgar Davids, but Notman has the last word, forcing Calvo into a good save with a volleyed shot just moments before the referee blows for half-time.

Real Madrid immediately make substitutions as the second half commences, with Davids and the anonymous Sabino leaving the pitch for Turdó and Colusso. But Byron Bubb has the first shot in anger, curving a free kick dangerously in but Calvo is there to stop the Englishman scoring. On 50 minutes, Navarro tests Vidal with a stinging drive after he managed to evade Cabrera, and we come under some sustained pressure from Real Madrid over the next twenty minutes. But on 68 minutes, we break the shackles long enough to snatch a third, sealing goal, when Notman and Bubb exchange passes and Clegg takes the ball away from Roberto Carlos who looked to get involved to smash it past Calvo in goal for Real Madrid! icon_biggrin.gif

If I thought that would sink Real Madrid, I was wrong, as they redouble their efforts into fighting their way back into this game. Iván Vidal pulls off a great double save from Ronaldinho and Navarro on 72 minutes, while on 77 minutes, he manages to push away Grillito’s searing drive. However, a moment later, he cannot stop Medina scoring from the rebound from his own shot to give Real Madrid a vague chance of coming back into this game. We are in real danger of being swamped as Navarro again tests Vidal with a great shot that the keeper does well to stop, while on 85 minutes, Stankovic almost makes it 3-2 with a hard, high drive that Vidal saves well. I take the opportunity to take off Bubb and put Wingård on, making our formation 5-3-2 with Gavião pushing into central midfield and Clegg dropping back to right wing. We manage to survive a final flurry from Real Madrid without much harm done to Vidal’s goal, as Ronaldinho’s profligate finishing denies Real Madrid any chance of making the scoresheet read more respectably for the home side.

Real Madrid (4-1-3-2): Calvo; Roberto Carlos, Bornes (Rubio 66), Isma, Grillito; Medina; Davids (Turdó 47), Ronaldinho ©, Stankovic; Sabino (Colusso 47), Rúben Navarro.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Gavião; Michel (Djordjic 68), Bubb (WingÃ¥rd 85); Clegg; Tanem, Notman.

Final score: Real Madrid 1:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Dejan Stankovic

1st of March 2009

Our lead in the race for the league title extends to eight points after 25 games, with Numancia and Barcelona locked together on 49 points compared to our 57 points. Iván Vidal and César start in the team of the week, while Roberto Carlos, Dejan Stankovic and Nicolás Medina are all named in the first eleven of the team of the week, somewhat surprisingly.

2nd of March 2009

Deportivo la Coruña give up on Gavião, while I reject an offer of £3 million for César from Benfica.

In the meantime, Feyenoord sign former Brazilian international attacking midfielder Deco from Juventus for £10.25 million, with a further £3.9 million payable after twenty league appearances.

4th of March 2009

Sevilla makes a bid of £3.6 million over 18 months for César, which is immediately rejected.

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group B, Game 5: Porto v Cartagonova

We take our winning streak to Portugal in a re-match of the European Champions' League final of 2007, but leave with it well and truly crushed. Porto dominate the game from start to finish, but Vidal, and to a lesser extent, the defence stand resolute against the onslaught of the Porto forwards. Finally, on 70 minutes, Porto get the breakthrough their play deserves when Fabrício tucks home Vasco Matos’ shot, while at the death, Fábio dribbles his way through my defence before planting a low drive past Vidal to make it 2-0. icon_mad.gif

Porto (4-2-4): Moreira ©; Athirson, Silvestre, Jorge Andrade, Óscar; Postiga (Dani 89), Rogério; Vasco Matos (Paredes 89), França, Fabrício, Fábio.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Tanem; Djordjic, Bubb; Clegg (Hernández 70); Redondo (Samba 70), Notman.

Final score: Porto 2:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Fábio

I give Martin Smith an official warning for his poor performance after the game. He wasn’t the only one, admittedly, but he was the poorest. Unfortunately, Martin thinks the warning is unfair, and I’m sure that if Real Madrid or Barcelona make a bid for him that I reject, he will really get up in arms over it.

But, ironically, I’m not too unhappy about the loss. We were setting ourselves up for a big fall if we lost a game in the knock-out phase, and a stretch of ten wins really meant that the first loss was coming ever closer. Hopefully now we have it out of the way and we can concentrate on making the final and winning the competition.

5th of March 2009

FC Schalke makes an offer of £7.75 million payable over six months plus £525,000 after forty league games for Kristian Tanem. These terms are, of course, unacceptable, so I respond with terms of £12.25 million payable now plus £2.5 million payable after ten internationals, with a 10% sell-on clause tacked on for good measure.

6th of March 2009

Celtic makes a bid of £12.25 million for Tanem this morning. I want £15 million.

7th of March 2009

Schalke gives up on Tanem.

Primera Liga - Game 26: Cartagonova v Real Zaragoza

I send out today a virtual second eleven, with no Gershon, Smith, Gavião, Tanem, Garrido, or Muslimovic available. Axel Wingård and José Manuel Lasa are thrown together as a makeshift central defence pairing with Smith suspended and Gershon rested, while Gary Mason makes his debut in central midfield ahead of Gavião, Tanem and Andy Owen. Muslimovic fails a fitness test this morning, so Byron Bubb continues at right midfield with Garrido still a long term casualty.

We spend practically the entire game camped in the opponent’s half looking for an elusive goal. It eventually comes from the penalty spot with just two minutes to play in the game after the referee thinks George Clegg was fouled by González García. I personally didn’t see the incident, as I was conferring with my assistant, Luis Sosa, over a desperation substitution to break the deadlock, but I’m sure the referee was right in awarding the decision! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif In any event, Redondo nestles the ball in the back of the net for his 21st goal in all competitions this season, and we take the 1-0 victory. In the meantime, Real Sociedad pulverise Real Betis 5-3 at home to trail us by nine points.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, WingÃ¥rd, Lasa, César; Djordjic, Mason, Bubb (Samba 74); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Real Zaragoza (4-2-4): Almansa; Sergio Porras, Pedro Nieto, Stepanovs, Ferrón; Sánchez Caballero ©, Muñiz (González García 60); Ognjenovic (Zapata 54), Kaviedes, Pablo, Peralta.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Real Zaragoza

MoM - Eduardo Almansa

“… In a shock development from Barcelona this evening, Dutch international striker Patrick Kluivert has returned to his native Netherlands for £10 million as Ajax Amsterdam sealed the deal that brings back a prodigal son to his original club. The 32 year old international spent his first three seasons as a professional at the Amsterdam Arena, scoring 39 goals in 70 appearances, before moving to AC Milan for a season back in 1997/98. However, Italy did not suit the strong, powerful striker, and a move to Barcelona was definitely on the cards. The rest, as they say, is history. Kluivert went on to be one of the most prolific strikers that ever pulled on the red and blue of Barcelona, scoring an amazing 397 goals in 401(20) appearances (including 281 goals in the Primera Liga) and averaging 8.40 per game. As a player, his awards are multitude, including winning the Primera Liga on four occasions, the Copa del Rey twice, the European Champions' League twice, and the FIFA World Club Championship once. Even this season, Kluivert had scored 25 times in 23(2) appearances, and his sale must surely weaken Barcelona’s attack as they seek to overhaul championship leader Cartagonova in the race for the title…â€

Well, I can’t say I’m sorry to see such a great striker leave one of the club’s fiercest rivals. Kluivert has battered and bruised defences all across Spain and Europe, and I’m glad that we will only meet him now in Europe. Despite being 32 years of age, Kluivert has lost none of his goal scoring ability, and I’m sure Ajax will not regret spending a penny of the money they have paid Barcelona for his services. I think that Barcelona will regret the decision as the run-in for the title commences in earnest, because it only leaves Ronaldo and Cristian Bardaro as their frontline strikers, and neither have been as prolific as Kluivert this season.

The evening marks a fortnight to the next European international fixtures for qualification for World Cup 2010, so Scotland notifies Alex Notman he will be needed for games against Italy and Moldova. Jean-François Gillet is required by Belgium to front up for games against Latvia and Switzerland, while Wales needs the services of Andy Owen against Poland and Malta. Israel call upon Shimon Gershon to once again play for his country against Denmark and Andorra, while his defensive partner Martin Smith will be needed by Denmark against Israel and the Netherlands. As usual, Norway find room in their squad for Kristian Tanem and Per Vener Rønning against Iceland and France.

This leaves the Spanish squad to be finalised, and with Gerard and Garrido out with long-term injuries, I have a couple of big spots in the squad to fill. I also drop a couple of players to introduce some new blood, as you will see:

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas (27 y/o, ESP 5 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (31 y/o, ESP 18 caps, GK): Barcelona

Defenders

César Cabrera (23 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D RL): Cartagonova

César (29 y/o, ESP 18 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Cartagonova

Jordi Ferrón (30 y/o, ESP 10 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Real Zaragoza

David Oliva (22 y/o, ESP, D RL): Deportivo la Coruña

Borja (30 y/o, ESP 27 caps, D LC): Valencia

Iván Amaya (30 y/o, ESP 52 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo la Coruña

César (30 y/o, ESP 51 caps, 1 goal, D C): Barcelona

Carlos Marchena (29 y/o, ESP 19 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

José de la Rosa (21 y/o, ESP 2 caps, D/DM C): Barcelona

Artur (27 y/o, ESP 5 caps, DM RC): Villarreal

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 15 caps, 3 goals, D MC): Cartagonova

Gabri (30 y/o, ESP 2 caps, M RL): Numancia

Diego (30 y/o, ESP 21 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Miguel Ãngel Angulo (31 y/o, ESP 44 caps, 6 goals, AM/F RC): Valencia

Joseba Etxeberría (31 y/o, ESP 71 caps, 19 goals, AM/F RC): Athletic Bilbao

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (23 y/o, ESP 12 caps, 3 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

José Antonio Reyes (25 y/o, ESP, AM L): Real Betis

Vicente (27 y/o, ESP 70 caps, 26 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Forwards

Raúl (31 y/o, ESP 111 caps, 55 goals, AM/F LC): Paris-Saint-Germain

Ignacio Morán (22 y/o, ESP, F LC): Deportivo la Coruña

Diego Ribera (32 y/o, ESP 16 caps, 6 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (29 y/o, ESP 16 caps, 6 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 4 caps, 1 goal, S C): Real Madrid

This means that I call up Iván Vidal, César Cabrera, César and Gavião to the Spanish squad, leaving out José Manuel Redondo and Garrido is injured.

Dixie Flatline

8th of March 2009

The knives are out in La Coruña and Santander, as Deportivo chairman gives Señor Vicente del Bosque the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ after the club suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Mallorca, while Racing Santander collapsed 4-0 at Elche to remain anchored to the bottom of the league to spark fan fury after the game.

César Cabrera is named at right back in the team of the week.

10th of March 2009

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group B, Game 6: Cartagonova v Galatasaray

“… A disappoint crowd of just 19,813 people braved the wild elements in the south of Spain to watch an entertaining game in the European Champions' League between Spanish champion Cartagonova and Turkish champion Galatasaray. Although Cartagonova looked to attack early through Redondo and Notman, it was the visitors that drew first blood when on 16 minutes, Brazilian striker Mario Jardel scored a brilliant goal from 20 yards using the outside of his foot despite the pressure being exerted upon him by Shimon Gershon - kids, get a copy of that goal on tape and practice it in the backyard, it will really improve your technique. Cartagonova should have equalised four minutes later when Notman dazzled his way into a crossing position but Juan Hernández - a surprise inclusion at the expense of George Clegg - directed his header over the bar from just ten yards. On 32 minutes, Gavião almost missed a great opportunity with his head from Cabrera’s corner, but he forced Justin Haber into dropping a sharp shot on the stroke of half-time, and the ever-reliable predator José Manuel Redondo was on hand to tuck in the rebound.

“On 66 minutes, the home side was indebted to its goalkeeper when he saved point-blank from Stefan Ishizaki, and eight minutes later, they were reduced to ten men when defender Martin Smith was sent off for two bookable offences. Manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, responded immediately, substituting Zlatan Muslimovic for José Manuel Lasa and shaping his formation to retain a back four as substitute George Clegg dropped to right midfield and Alex Notman was pulled back to support Redondo as a lone striker. Galatasaray were left cursing their luck when from the free kick, Vidal saved brilliantly, and then a moment later, he half-smothered Jardel’s volley and Cabrera denied Oguz the opportunity to score from the rebound with a great saving tackle. It proved crucial as two minutes later, Cartagonova converted its chance when Rønning found Redondo pulling out wide to drag the defenders away from goal. The striker crossed to his partner Notman who did the rest to give the ten man home side the advantage. But four minutes later, the two clubs were all square again as Mario Jardel scored his second goal of the game with a great volley from 30 yards out. But that spectacular goal was matched by an even better goal from José Manuel Redondo, who scored his second and Cartagonova’s third with a great bicycle kick perfectly set up by Notman. He almost sealed his hat-trick on 89 minutes but for a diving save from Haber, but Cartagonova settled for the win that pushed them five points clear at the end of the second group phase.â€

Well, that was a game of two extremes. I didn’t think we’d get much out of this one when we went behind to Jardel’s 16th minute goal and then proceeded to waste a few opportunities before equalising. Then when Martin Smith was sent off for stupidly fouling his man with 16 minutes to play, I thought that the game was up, because we were defending badly even with a full complement of players on the pitch. But to the credit of the boys, particularly Redondo and Notman, we never gave up and prevailed over a cohesive unit in Galatasaray. Still, I’m disappointed in Martin Smith and I’m bound to upset him by either officially warning or fining him after I’ve finished the debrief.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera (Rønning 66), Gershon, Smith, César; Djordjic, Gavião, Muslimovic (Lasa 74); Hernández (Clegg 66); Redondo, Notman.

Galatasaray (5-3-1-1): Haber; Ishizaki, Ersan, Kadir, Atilla, Fatih; Oguz, Erhan ©, Mehmet Ali (Sergen 60); Süleyman (Burhan 53); Jardel.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Galatasaray

The final group table looks like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st Q Cartagonova ESP 6 3 0 0 7 3 2 0 1 3 3 15

2nd Q Porto POR 6 2 1 0 5 1 1 0 2 5 3 10

3rd Dinamo HRV 6 1 1 1 3 3 0 1 2 2 5 5

4th Galatasaray TUR 6 1 0 2 3 7 0 1 2 4 7 4

</pre>

11th of March 2009

I give Martin Smith an official warning for his red card dismissal in yesterday’s game. Somewhat to my surprise, the Danish defender cops it on the chin. He is suspended for one European game, which will be the first leg to be played at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena in the quarter-final clash against Bayern München. The three other quarter-final games see Barcelona play Glasgow Celtic, Manchester United take on Ajax Amsterdam, while Porto and Real Madrid do battle. We play our first leg on 1st of April 2009. Let’s hope we’re not made April fools.

In the evening, Sweden calls upon Bjoan Djordjic to join the squad for his country’s game against Lithuania in a fortnight, while England require George Clegg to also train in the squad for England’s crunch game against Luxembourg.

13th of March 2009

In the morning’s newspapers there appears an article linking Gavião with a £2.8 million move to Deportivo la Coruña. I make no comment on this story.

Byron Bubb strains his wrist in evening training, ruling himself out of the weekend’s visit to Deportivo.

14th of March 2009

Liverpool wastes its time offering £4.5 million for Notman. Nantes offers £3 million for Gavião. I look for something more like £5 million now, 10% sell-on clause, £1.5 million after twenty league appearances and £1.5 million after twenty internationals.

15th of March 2009

Bayer Leverkusen, Paris-Saint-Germain and Glasgow Celtic all offer me £5.5 million for Alex Notman. All fail to impress me. In the meantime, Benfica bids £4.4 million for César. That is rejected too.

Primera Liga - Game 27: Deportivo la Coruña v Cartagonova

I’m intensely disappointed by the standard of refereeing dished out by today’s referee, Señor González Segura. Things go wrong for him as early as the second minute when he denies us a clear cut penalty for a terrible tackle perpetrated by Boris on Muslimovic. Apart from that incident and an attack by Deportivo on 6 minutes that comes to nothing, the first half is a complete bore-fest, broken only on 40 minutes when Notman finds himself with enough time to shoot, but Segura (Deportivo’s goalkeeper, not the referee - I think!) is there to save his shot. Bang on half-time, Deportivo take an undeserved lead when Gershon’s attempted pass to Notman is picked off by Dennis Serban, who finds Godino, and the midfielder finishes it off. icon_frown.gif

Ten minutes into the second half, we have our equaliser when Notman out-jumps Iván Amaya to meet Gavião’s clever pass and head it past Segura. But our joy is short-lived when only a moment later, substitutes Ignacio Morán and Kim Källström combine for the latter to rocket Deportivo back into the lead. icon_mad.gif On 58 minutes, the referee commits his second act of stupidity for the game in adjudging Martin Smith to have committed a professional foul against the Swede and sends him off. icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif I’m forced to reshuffle the deck, taking off Juan Hernández and Zlatan Muslimovic for José Manuel Lasa and George Clegg respectively. Notman drops back into a position behind José Manuel Redondo, while Clegg goes on the right and Lasa into defence. It seems to work as we almost equalise on 67 minutes, but Redondo’s powerful header is well-saved by Segura. Ignacio Morán turns Lasa inside out on 69 minutes, but Vidal stakes his claim for the Spanish goalkeeping jersey with a great save. Back down the other end, Redondo again is foiled by Segura and four minutes later, after doing all the hard work, Djordjic can’t beat the on-fire keeper. After Vidal saves from Godino in the last minute of normal time, we fashion for ourselves one last chance to save the game, but Notman can’t find enough space to properly aim at goal, and it ends up closer to the corner flag than the back of the net. We leave La Riazor disappointed, and I make a diary entry to contact the Spanish FA to complain about the standard of refereeing.

Deportivo la Coruña (5-2-1-2): Segura; Capdevila, Boris, Amaya ©, Juanito, Rafael Vega (Cuesta 61); Serban, Kree (Morán 56); Godino; Mista, Rojas (Källström 56).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Gavião; Djordjic, Muslimovic (Clegg 58); Hernández (Lasa 58); Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Deportivo la Coruña 2:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

I carry out my threat to complain to the Spanish FA, but it results in nothing. I resolve not to punish Martin Smith for his red card dismissal, because I felt he did not warrant it, but he misses a couple of games towards the end of the season. On a better note, Alex Notman is named in the team of the week’s starting eleven. We remain eight points clear of closest rivals Numancia and Barcelona. Espanyol thrashed Numancia 3-1 in Barcelona, with Francisco Javier Zubizarreta pushing his claim for a starting place in Spain’s next international fixture with a brace, while Real Sociedad tumbled to fourth after losing 2-0 to Elche. Only Barcelona took full advantage of our slip, recording a comfortable 1-0 victory over Real Betis in Sevilla.

“… Deportivo la Coruña’s 2-1 victory over defending champion and league leader Cartagonova at La Riazor this afternoon was not enough to save the job of Vicente del Bosque, who was sacked after showdown talks with chairman, Señor Pablo Ferrer. Deportivo has languished in mid-table all season, never rising above ninth place on the ladder after an opening day victory, and that has alienated large sections of the club’s fans, who called publicly at the home game against Cartagonova for the head of the manager. The club only narrowly avoided relegation last season, with Vicente del Bosque brought in half-way through to pull the club out of the relegation spiral. However, his inability to build the club into a championship challenger has sowed the seed of dissention amongst senior members of the team, with Ignacio Morán - predicted to earn his first senior cap for Spain against Georgia on the weekend - being singled out by other members of the squad as selfish and arrogant. We will continue to update this story as it unfolds…â€

Keep smiling!

Dixie Flatline

Let's continue the odyssey!

16th of March 2009

Bayer Leverkusen bids £6.5 million for Notman. They are wasting their time. Nantes gives up on Gavião.

Smith will miss three league matches for his dismissal against Deportivo last weekend. Very harsh indeed.

Real Madrid makes Roma an offer of £11 million for experienced Argentine international centre back Walter Samuel.

18th of March 2009

Glasgow Celtic offers £7.75 million to obtain the services of Alex Notman. Like other clubs, they are wasting their time.

19th of March 2009

The day dawns with Bayer Leverkusen putting on the table a bid of £10.25 million, split into £7.5 million payable over six months plus a further £2.8 million after twenty league games for Alex Notman. No deal here, boys.

Real Madrid offers me £5 million for Gavião. I demand £6.5 million now, £1.5 million after twenty league games and a 10% sell-on clause.

20th of March 2009

Jaime Garrido is back in light training, Luis Sosa reports from Cartagonova. I’m with the Spanish squad in Tbilisi, preparing for tomorrow’s game against Spain when I hear the good news. Garrido should be fully fit in a month or so.

21st of March 2009

Real Madrid give up on Gavião.

World Cup qualifier - Group 6, Game 5: Georgia v Spain

From an entertainment point of view, this game is fairly lacklustre. While we are in Georgia’s capital, it could fairly be described as a home game for Spain, such is the dominance we achieve in this game. Francisco Javier Zubizarreta sets us on our way on 24 minutes, and we lead 1-0 at the break. After half-time, we score two further goals through Raúl and Sabino to make it 3-0 at the finish. It is our captain’s 56th international goal in his 112th appearance for Spain - a tremendous record in anyone’s language.

We could have had more, with some poor finishing in front of goal, but I’m fairly satisfied with the victory. Georgia manage to fashion only one chance for the entire game, to leave their fans thoroughly frustrated and annoyed, which means that the small band of brave Spanish supporters who crossed an entire continent to be here this afternoon are forced to leave under armed police and army escort. We don’t fare much better, making a dash to the airport under escort, too. The only blemish on the game, however, comes with nine minutes to play, as César is sent off by referee Señor Anders Frisk for two yellow card offences. He cannot have any complaints about the suspension, and I won’t be in a hurry to pick him again. As predicted, Ignacio Morán makes his debut as a full international, but doesn’t have much time to impress before we are reduced to ten men, so his debut his somewhat low-key in the end. However, we extend our lead to six points with Poland defeating second-placed Wales 2-1 in Cardiff.

Georgia (5-3-2): Obuca; Matsura, Guldager, Khizaneyshvili ©, Zanc (Camará 51), Partsikyan; Kobiaschwili, Borgard (Aleksidze 59), Kaladze; Iaschwili, Djanashia.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, César; Gavião; Vicente, Etxeberría; Zubizarreta (Oliva 82); Raúl © (Morán 75), Sabino.

Final score: Georgia 0:3 Spain

MoM - Francisco Javier Zubizarreta

In other games involving Cartagonova, players, Alex Notman scored to make it 2-0 to Scotland early in the second half, but Dominic Matteo’s red card changed the complexion of the game and substitute Andrea Pisanu scored twice to pull it back to 2-2 at the finish for Italy. Jean-François Gillet had a successful visit to Riga, as Belgium defeated Latvia 3-1. As mentioned above, Wales went down 2-1 to Poland in Cardiff with Andy Owen in the side for the Welsh. Shimon Gershon and his Israeli teammates suffered a 3-0 loss at the hands of the Danes, with Martin Smith on the winning side. Kristian Tanem was Norway’s captain, while Per Vener Rønning was awarded man of the match honours as Iceland held their Scandinavian brethren to a 1-1 draw in Oslo.

Quickly going through each group, and starting in Group 1. Bulgaria defeated Lithuania 2-1, but Turkey remains top after thrashing Bosnia 5-0 in Istanbul. Turkey, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Sweden are all separated by a point after four games each. Lithuania has only three points from four games, and seems doomed to fail to qualify. In Group 2, the Ukraine were held to a 0-0 draw by leaders Estonia, while Slovakia moved level on points after defeating FYROM 1-0 on the road, thanks to Marcel Majoros’ goal on 45 minutes. In Group 3, Greece went to the top of the group after defeating Finland 1-0 in Athens, while Portugal went to town 4-1 against Luxembourg. Group 4 sees Yugoslavia remain the form side as they took control of top spot after thrashing Northern Ireland 5-0 in Belfast. Scotland and Italy drew 2-2 in Glasgow, while Moldova and the Faeroe Islands - in a result that will not affect the outcome of this group - saw Moldova take the points in a 2-1 victory.

Group 5 has Belgium scampering away after they defeated Latvia 3-1 on the road. They are seven points clear of Croatia and Switzerland. The Swiss defeated Belarus 1-0 in Bern. Group 6 has a similar situation, with Spain notching up its fifth straight victory of the qualifiers after downing Georgia 3-0 in Tblisi. Raúl celebrated his record-equalling appearance for Spain with a goal, while Zubizarreta and Sabino also put their names on the scoresheet. In other games, Malta defeated Armenia 2-0, while Poland dealt Wales’ chances a blow after beating them 2-1 in Cardiff. In Group 7, Cyprus moved to within two points of Russia after defeating them 2-0 in Nicosia. Slovenia inflicted a 1-0 loss on Hungary. Moving to Group 8, and the shock result of the afternoon as Ireland humbled the Netherlands 6-1 in Dublin to go back top of the group. Robbie Keane scored a hat-trick, Adam Fleming a brace, while Stephen McPhail also chipped in. Keane opened the scoring on 3 minutes, but Edgar Davids equalised on 37 minutes. But the dismissal of Dutch keeper Mark Zegers changed the course of the game. Fleming converted the penalty, then in the space of seven minutes, McPhail, Fleming and Keane all scored to make it 5-1 to the Irish. Keane duly completed his hat-trick on 84 minutes to leave Irish eyes smiling. In the meantime, Denmark moved into second place by beating Israel 3-0 in Tel Aviv, and in the other game, Albania triumphed 2-1 over Andorra. In Group 9, France defeated Austria 4-1 to remain top, while Norway failed to capitalise on Austria’s defeat by being held to a 1-1 draw by Iceland. Azerbaijan defeated San Marino 2-1 in the other group game.

25th of March 2009

World Cup Qualifier - Group 6, Game 6: Spain v Poland

I name an unchanged eleven to play Poland at Valencia’s La Mestalla, which means that Raúl breaks Andoni Zubizarreta’s record of 112 caps in Spain. Unfortunately, the game fails to live up to the pre-game hype, with Poland doing an effective job of strangling our attack so much that we’re essentially reduced to long-range shooting, while they are denied two goals by the linesman’s flag. The first was on 37 minutes when Frankowski picks out Brozek unmarked in the area, but his goal is ruled out by the linesman as my back four managed to push up far enough to trap him off-side. The second is with ten minutes to play when Mazurkiewicz is unlucky to have been ruled off-side when he tucks in the rebound from Laínez’s punch of Frankowski’s cross. Both goalkeepers are busy in this game, but Poland seemed more comfortable in this game. We drop our first points of the qualifying campaign, but remain unbeaten.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, Oliva; Vicente, Gavião, Etxeberría (Angulo 54); Zubizarreta; Raúl ©, Sabino.

Poland (5-3-2): Malkowski; Wisio (Radomski 43 (Bialek 86)), Mangold (Moskal 91), Bazler, Stasiak, Kus; Mazurkiewicz, Frankowski, Szymkowiak ©; Brozek, Zurawksi.

Final score: Spain 0:0 Poland

MoM - César Laínez

Of course, other international games in UEFA World Cup qualifying take place tonight. Alex Notman scored twice as Scotland defeated Moldova 4-2 in Glasgow. Jean-François Gillet celebrates Belgium’s 1-0 victory over Switzerland in Bern this evening, with the winner coming from an own goal. Andy Owen played well for Wales but couldn’t prevent his country sinking to its second consecutive loss with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Malta in Cardiff. Martin Smith, on the other hand, played a shocker as the Netherlands easily accounted for Denmark 2-0 in Amsterdam. Former Cartagonova player, Niels Kokmeijer, was awarded the man of the match. Shimon Gershon tasted success with Israel as they defeated Andorra 3-1 in Tel Aviv. Kristian Tanem was again captain of Norway, while Per Vener Rønning also played in a 1-1 draw with France in Oslo.

Quickly running through the groups beginning with Group 1, Turkey eased three points clear of Bulgaria and Sweden after defeating Bulgaria 2-1 in Istanbul. Sweden was held to a 2-2 draw by Lithuania. In Group 2, the Czech Republic managed only a 0-0 draw in Prague against top-placed Estonia, while the Ukraine defeated second-placed Slovakia 3-2 in Kyiv. Estonia enjoys a one point lead over Slovakia and the Czech Republic. In Group 3, Greece’s brief flirtation with the group’s lead ended abruptly as Portugal defeated them 1-0 in Athens, while England brushed Luxembourg aside 5-2 with Michael Owen scoring four goals. Cartagonova’s George Clegg did not feature in the English squad for this game. Moving to Group 4, Italy took top spot away from Yugoslavia with a 3-1 victory over Yugoslavia in Roma. Northern Ireland closed the gap on second place with a 3-0 win against the Faeroe Islands, while Scotland also picked up a valuable three points with a 4-2 victory over Moldova.

Switching attention to Group 5 reveals Belgium are on top after recording a 1-0 win over Switzerland, while Croatia are seven points behind as they defeated Latvia 2-0 in Riga. In Group 6, Spain dropped their first points of the campaign after they were held to a 0-0 draw in Valencia by Poland. Wales’ slide continued as they suffered a 2-0 loss to Malta, who moved into second place. Georgia thrashed Armenia 4-1 in Tbilisi, but neither country have a chance of qualifying. In Group 7, Russia stays two points clear of Cyprus as both scored 2-1 victories over Hungary, in Budapest, and Romania in Nicosia respectively. To Group 8 now, and Ireland maintains top position despite being held to a 0-0 draw in Dublin by Albania. The Netherlands and Israel are a point behind the Irish as the Dutch defeated Denmark 2-0 in Amsterdam while the Israelis triumphed 3-1 against Andorra. Finally, to Group 9, and France are three points clear at the top after drawing 1-1 with fourth-placed Norway. Iceland moved ahead of Norway into third place by defeating San Marino 3-0, while Austria kept up the pressure on France with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Azerbaijan in Baku.

We play a friendly against the Czech Republic in Seville in 28 days’ time.

1st of April 2009

European Champions' League - Quarter-final, first leg: Cartagonova v Bayern München

“… On a fine April Fool’s Day night, Cartagonova were almost made fools of themselves. The Spanish champion dominated the game from start to finish, but Bayern exploited their counter-attacking tactics to perfection to hit two goals on the break, both going to former Spanish international striker Diego Tristán. Cartagonova threw everything at the Bayern goalkeeper, Dionissis Chiotis, but needed two penalties from José Manuel Redondo to make something of the game. Neither penalty was controversial, though many will feel that Bayern were lucky to still have Chiotis on the field after the first penalty.â€

“However, Bayern struck first when on 16 minutes Jens Jeremies picked out a fine pass to unlock the Cartagonova defence - missing Martin Smith through suspension - and Diego Tristán was perfectly placed to take full advantage, dribbling his way past Gershon before smashing an unstoppable shot past Vidal. Cartagonova struggled to kick-start their attack, but when they did so, Bayern were thankful they had a great shot-stopper to prevent the Spaniards equalising. Notman missed a gilt-edged opportunity on 34 minutes when he did manage to beat Chiotis, but his header from Djordjic’s cross cleared the cross-bar. However, the Scotsman was tripped blatantly by Chiotis three minutes later, and while the referee did not hesitate in awarding the penalty, he only showed a yellow card to the keeper. Redondo converted the penalty, and then the second penalty on 41 minutes after Thierry Henry failed to contest for a high ball legally inside the Bayern penalty box.â€

“Cartagonova almost entered the break 3-1 to the good when George Clegg drove a shot at goal from 25 yards, but it drifted wide of the mark. On 53 minutes, Notman tested Chiotis’ reflexes with a stinging drive, but Bayern were level three minutes later when Tristán again took advantage of slack Cartagonova marking to slam home a low drive from 30 yards. Again, Cartagonova looked for the goal to take back the lead, with Clegg missing an excellent opportunity on 64 minutes. Three minutes later, Chiotis saves brilliantly from Muslimovic, then on 69 minutes, Redondo was denied his hat-trick by a superb save from the Greek international. Both sides had opportunities to win the game in the last twenty minutes, but it was Cartagonova that finally came up trumps with substitute, Juan Hernández, scoring his first goal of the season on 89 minutes after he managed to give Jens Jeremies the slip long enough to loop home a scoring shot from 20 yards. In injury time, Djordjic almost makes it 4-2, but that would have been a disservice to a fighting Bayern side that will feel comforted that they take home two away goals for the second leg. Much to think about for Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline…â€

That could have gone better. Bayern only managed to put two shots on target, and they scored from both. Vidal could have done nothing to stop either of them, but I must ask some harsh questions of my defence, who failed to keep a check on Tristán both times, after I had especially warned them of his potential to cause trouble. On the up side, our attack functioned well - particularly Redondo - and if we can sneak a goal or two away from home, we should ease into the semi-finals. Anything less would be a disaster given our group phase form.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Lasa, César; Djordjic, Gavião, Muslimovic; Clegg (Hernández 67); Redondo, Notman.

Bayern München (5-3-2): Chiotis; Solari, Lenz, Backer ©, Wolf (Wittmann 63), Eckstein; Zickler (Zé Roberto 75), Henry (Majewski 69), Jeremies; Diego Tristán, Waattovaara.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Bayern München

In the other quarter-final games, Barcelona crashes alarmingly to a 3-1 defeat at the Nou Camp by Celtic. Manchester United also suffers the ignominy of losing at home, as Ajax wins 3-2. Porto will feel they have blown an opportunity after they were held to a 0-0 draw by Real Madrid in Portugal.

3rd of April 2009

Somebody with keen eyes must have spotted my scouts in the crowd for Boca Juniors’ game against Gimnasia La Plata watching Argentine international midfielder Andrés D’Alessandro, as newspapers reports, particularly in the Gazetto della Sport, link us with a £1.7 million move for him. But then I send my scouts to check out a player from Boca’s opponent, as they watch midfielder/playmaker Cristian Ríos go through his paces in a 3-1 loss against River Plate, with Ríos scoring his club’s goal.

5th of April 2009

Primera Liga - Game 28: Cartagonova v Sporting Gijón

Previously, today’s opponent has caused us some trouble, but today, they sit only in ninth position and have come to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena to defend stoutly. We have a series of chances in the first fifteen minutes to break the deadlock, but their goalkeeper Sergio, has some form to call upon and manages to deny Djordjic, Notman and Redondo in quick succession. From nowhere, Sporting then earn a corner, which Nakazawa almost converts after he blasts a drive towards Vidal’s goal, only for the keeper to pull off a miraculous save on 21 minutes. But that only serves to break the monotony of endless Cartagonova attacks with Sergio being by far the busiest keeper on the pitch. Somehow - I don’t know how - we reach the break still locked together at 0-0, but eleven minutes into the second half, we have the goal we deserve thanks to a great effort from Redondo. George Clegg then seals the win on 77 minutes with a delightful chip after great approach work from Muslimovic. We could have had several more, but a comfortable 2-0 victory is in the bank this afternoon.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon (Lasa 89), WingÃ¥rd, Lacruz; Djordjic (Cabrera 62), Gavião, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Sporting Gijón (4-4-2): Sergio; Rivarola, Urbano, Nakazawa, Gerbaudo; Munitis, Samper (van der Gun 56), Barselleta, Babangida; Rubén, Hernández.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Sporting Gijón

MoM - Alex Notman

Dixie Flatline

Archived