How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dpc_4891:

Hey Dixie, I've been reading your story over the last several weeks and I must say that it's been a terrific story to read! Keep on smiling Dixie, and long live _Cartagonova_! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's interesting you should say that dpc_4891 (and thank you for your praise, as well), because I've learned that in real life, Cartagonova went belly-up just before the Spanish season started this year. It managed to be resurrected, I think, by a consortium of players and staff, but I don't think it's travelling too well these days.

So unfortunately, reality is already diverging from the story. icon_frown.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once more unto the breach!

After the game, I have another quiet word in the ear of Andy Owen. I know he is having problems fitting in with the Spanish culture and lifestyle, but I did entrust him with a very important job against Barcelona, and he failed to live up to my expectations. I decide that he should have an official warning noted on his player file, and the Welsh international apologises, saying he will try to motivate himself more for future matches. He probably won’t have another chance for a while, because I’m going to turn to Ricardo Verón for our next game against Real Madrid at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena next Wednesday.

1st of March 2010

Real Madrid again give up on Bagnacani.

2nd of March 2010

I accept an offer of £75,000 from Brazilian club Juventude for Rivaldo. Unfortunately, the Brazilian club can’t match the veteran’s personal terms, so I have the pleasure of his company for a little while longer.

3rd of March 2010

Primera Liga - Game 26: Cartagonova v Real Madrid

We play our catch-up game in the middle of the week, and simultaneously in Barcelona, our nearest rival hosts Valencia. I make a couple of changes from the team that took all three points last time out. Bressán is suspended for five yellow cards, and with Cabrera injured, Thuram steps into the breach. Andy Owen is dropped for Ricardo Verón, and Bojan Djordjic takes Reyes’ place on the left.

We begin confidently, with Garrido wasting some excellent lead-up play by blasting over the bar on five minutes, but 17 minutes later, he dribbles the entire Real Madrid defence before bending a shot past Calvo! icon_smile.gif But Redondo and Notman are so polite to each other they forget to actually shot, and Calvo manages to break things up on 28 minutes. Ten minutes into the second half, Cartagonova old boy Jukka Hakala makes us pay when he smashes a left foot strike past Vidal. icon_frown.gif Ten minutes later, George Clegg tries an ambitious bicycle kick that doesn’t come off, and Real Madrid sweep the ball down the other end where Totti is waiting in anticipation. The veteran Italian forward lets fly with a thunderbolt and on 67 minutes, Real Madrid take the lead. icon_mad.gif I respond immediately by taking off Smith and Redondo, putting Loughran and Juan Hernández on in their place. But it fails to make any substantial difference as Real Madrid continue to dominate. They are rewarded with Totti’s second goal on 78 minutes when he hits a hard shot with the outside of his foot that dips and curves away from Vidal at the last moment. icon_mad.gif At the death, Totti seals his hat-trick and a result that does a lot to save the job of my counterpart today when a 40 yard rocket that leaves Vidal without a prayer.

The board’s not happy. I’m furious. Heads will roll, and people will do their penance on the training track this week.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Lasa, Smith (Loughran 67), Thuram; Djordjic, Verón, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo (Hernández 67), Notman.

Real Madrid (4-5-1): Calvo; Rúa, Samuel, Hakala, Peláez; Ronaldinho ©, Baronio (Medina 77), Totti, Stankovic, Colusso; Rubén Navarro.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:4 Real Madrid

MoM - Francesco Totti

My anger at such a poor result - our worst since we were beaten by Deportivo La Coruña by the same score-line back on the 16th of January 2005 - is primarily directed towards Iván Vidal, who had his worst game in a Cartagonova jersey for a considerable amount of time, and Martin Smith. This time, I am so furious that I decide that a mere official warning is not enough. You can only give out so many of those before they begin to lose their impact. These boys have been before me too many times in our inconsistent season to date. So they really feel my wrath when they cop a fine each of a week’s salary. Vidal takes it like a man, without saying anything, as I call the club’s accountant and tell him not to process his wages for next week. But Martin Smith thinks that the punishment is unjust, and I fear that the next time the board tells me the Danish defender shouldn’t belong at the club, I might just start to agree with them.

My anger is only slightly mollified when I look at the evening news to see that we remain on top of the ladder, by two points, as Valencia upsets Barcelona at the Nou Camp with a 2-0 win. That’s two home defeats on the bounce for Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, which is an extreme rarity. Goals to Karanka (in the first half) and up and coming Spanish striker del Pino (in the second half) sealed victory for Valencia, but it doesn’t seem enough yet to secure Señor Frank Rijkaard’s tenuous grip on his job, as the media still has him pegged as one of the group of managers most likely to lose their jobs soon.

The troubling thing is, we’ve already lost six games this season, out of 26 played. We’ve won the league on three successive occasions, but we had previously lost no more than five games during the entire season. Our inconsistency may yet prove to be our undoing as we chase four championships on the bounce.

5th of March 2010

Just when César Cabrera had returned to full fitness, he goes and injures himself in training ahead of the weekend’s vital clash with Atlético Madrid and rules himself out for a week. It means Andrés Bressán is likely to go straight back into the team.

The press are beginning to cast an eye towards the forthcoming World Cup, which is to be played in Argentina beginning in about three months. Hércules coach, and one-time Real Madrid midfielder, Fernando Redondo, comes out in the media to talk up Argentina’s chances of winning the World Cup. He would, of course, do that, since he hails from Eva Perron’s home land. In the meantime, the pundits feel that Germany seems to lack the quality necessary to defend its crown it won back at home four years ago. Personally, I’m delighted to see the focus on the ‘traditional’ powerhouses of football, because while FIFA currently considers Spain the best country in the world, according to its much-maligned ranking system, the press do not yet consider us contenders - not surprising given our historical ‘choker’ tag that I’m determined to do everything to rectify in three months.

6th of March 2010

Primera Liga - Game 27: Cartagonova v Atlético Madrid

We back up last Wednesday’s insipid performance against one Madrid team with another game today against the second Madrid team. I make a few changes to the eleven that was thrashed by Real Madrid, with Thuram, Djordjic, Garrido, Clegg, and Notman all making way for Bressán, Reyes, Muslimovic, Juan Hernández and Moedim Júnior. The first half is quite boring, apart from one eye-opening incident when Redondo is squarely punched in the face by Hugo Leal. The Portuguese international is rightly sent off on 25 minutes by the referee, but we don’t get going until the start of the second half when Juan Hernández sends a free kick over the bar. On 58 minutes, Lasa and Mantilla play a one-two before the centre-half sends it forward to Redondo, and the veteran shows a turn of pace and enough agility to play it past Gaizka Garitano before hitting a speculative left-foot drive into the top corner! icon_smile.gif Redondo almost does the same (albeit with his right foot) on 70 minutes, but Malkowski manages to tip it away. Four minutes later, Hernández tries his luck from distance only to be foiled by Malkowski. However, we only need to wait a couple more minutes before we have our second goal when Redondo threads a ball through to Reyes, cutting in from the left, and the Spanish international winger lofts a cross into the box for Moedim Júnior to head home! icon_biggrin.gif Unfortunately, we lose our clean sheet late in the game when Romerito single-handedly dribbles my team before lashing home. Then Moedim Júnior gets away with an unsavoury incident where he appears to spit at Fiore, but since the referee fails to spot the incident, I think I’ll adopt the Wenger line and say I didn’t see it! icon_wink.gif

For myself, I’m just happy with the three points, even though it wasn’t a totally convincing performance.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Lasa, Smith, Bressán; Reyes, Verón, Muslimovic; Hernández; Redondo, Moedim Júnior.

Atlético Madrid (5-3-2-1): Malkowski; Cellay, Di Tommaso, Flavio, Sagnol; Díaz (Romerito 55), Gaizka Garitano, Giannichedda; Quiñónez (Fiore 48), Hugo Leal (s/o 25); Djaló ©.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Atlético Madrid

MoM - José Antonio Reyes

8th of March 2010

Real Madrid are back in again for Bagnacani, offering me £3 million over six months for the Italian keeper. I want £6 million over six months and another £1.5 million after ten league appearances.

9th of March 2010

Real Madrid follow up their bid for Bagnacani with a £5.5 million offer over six months for Gary Mason. But the Scottish midfielder isn’t going anywhere at this stage.

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 5: Cartagonova v Sheffield United

The last time we played, we were comprehensively beaten by the English club. I don’t want another repeat of that, but we’re short of cover at the back, so I press Bressán into centre-half, while Thuram takes his place on the right of defence, and Rønning replaces Mantilla on the left. Otherwise, it’s just about business as usual in the teamsheet stakes, with Mason, Garrido, Clegg and Notman all returning to the first eleven. But the first half is curiously devoid of much action and the crowd is left flat at the break when Ian Armstrong volleys home Lindmark’s cross on 39 minutes. icon_frown.gif I give the boys a rousing team talk at the break, and it seems to do wonders, because within five minutes of the restart, we’re level thanks to a great headed goal from Jaime Garrido. But after another 16 minutes pass, we’re behind again, this time to Lewitz. However, I had just brought on Juan Hernández and Kortina for the ineffective Clegg and Reyes, and it’s the substitutions that make the difference. Three minutes later, Hernández has us level, picking up Notman’s pass that was intended for Redondo and burying it home! icon_smile.gif Two minutes later, he chests down Mason’s clever pass, plays a one-two with Redondo and rifles home a half-volley! icon_biggrin.gif He should have had his hat-trick on 87 minutes, but fluffs his lines at the crucial time, but we settle for a good 3-2 win and qualification for the knock-out stage! icon_cool.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Lasa, Bressán, Thuram; Reyes (Kortina 66), Mason, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 66); Redondo, Notman.

Sheffield United (4-4-2): Thompson; Dillon, Barry, MacFarlane (S. Baker 57), Tate; J. Baker (Gavin 37 (Bakke 91)), Lindmark ©, Kerr, Pedersen; Armstrong, Lewitz.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Sheffield United

MoM - Juan Hernández

We’re now guaranteed of finishing top in our group, with one game (away to Anderlecht) to come. To date, we’ve scored 31 goals and conceded 13 in eleven games played in the European Champions' League to date this season. But the goals have been shared around, as Gary Mason has five, Clegg, Notman, Garrido, and Redondo four apiece, with Juan Hernández and Martin Smith on three, and Sabino has two to his credit.

10th of March 2003

Real Madrid gives up on Bagnacani.

12th of March 2010

So much for my hope that I’ll be allowed to prepare for Spain’s tilt at World Cup glory in peace, as this morning, planetfootball.com airs its view that Spain should be considered a favourite in a few months’ time, due to the sheer quality throughout the squad. I then go and put my foot in it by telling the media that I’m confident that we’ll win. What was I thinking? icon_eek.gif

13th of March 2010

We haven’t even got to the World Cup when I’m handed the draw for the European Championship qualifiers. Spain is drawn in Group 3, along with Bosnia, Lithuania, Norway and Slovakia. On current form, I would estimate (privately, of course) that only Norway will give us much trouble. The eastern European countries have yet really to come on and cause anybody much grief, although Estonia famously caused a few upsets a few years ago. But at the last two World Cups, Norway finished second and third, so they have a lot going their way.

International friendlies will be played in a fortnight. George Clegg is required for the English squad, but will probably not play against Croatia. Martin Smith will take the field for Denmark against Norway, and Per Vener Rønning will probably be on the other side. Gary Mason and Alex Notman will play for Scotland against Hungary, and Zlatan Muslimovic has been called up by Bosnia for its game against Finland. Wales will no doubt use Andy Owen at some stage for its game against Northern Ireland. Bojan Djordjic has been called up by the Swedes for their match against Yugoslavia.

So I have to name a squad to take on the Czech Republic in Prague. I call up four players from Cartagonova for our first game this (calendar) year:

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas (28 y/o, ESP 8 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (32 y/o, ESP 26 caps, GK): Barcelona

Defenders

Ãngel (20 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D RL): AS Roma

César (30 y/o, ESP 25 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Juventus

Borja (31 y/o, ESP 36 caps, D LC): Valencia

Antonio Vázquez (22 y/o, ESP, D L): AS Roma

Iván Amaya (31 y/o, ESP 64 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (31 y/o, ESP 54 caps, 1 goal, D C): Barcelona

Pablo Jallas Amigó (19 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D/DM C): Newcastle United

Carlos Marchena (30 y/o, ESP 29 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Artur (28 y/o, ESP 5 caps, DM RC): Villarreal

Fernando Herrero (23 y/o, ESP, DM RC): Osasuna

Gavião (30 y/o, ESP 24 caps, 5 goals, DM C): Real Betis

Diego (31 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Jaime Garrido (26 y/o, ESP 22 caps, 11 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (24 y/o, ESP 22 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 1 goal, AM L): Cartagonova

Vicente (28 y/o, ESP 80 caps, 31 goals, AM/F LC): AS Roma

Gerard (31 y/o, ESP 49 caps, 10 goals, AM C): Barcelona

Forwards

Raúl (32 y/o, ESP 121 caps, 59 goals, AM/F LC): AC Milan

Ignacio Morán (23 y/o, ESP 3 caps, F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Diego Ribera (33 y/o, ESP 18 caps, 8 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (30 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 7 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Sabino (32 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 4 goals, S C): Cartagonova

Here's a little more to whet your appetite for all things Spanish

14th of March 2010

Primera Liga - Game 28: Alavés v Cartagonova

It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to name a consistent first eleven, and today’s game is no exception, with a few changes forced upon me. Gary Mason still has a match to serve of his ban, so he is replaced by Andy Owen. I can bring back Martin Smith from his enforced rest to slot in at centre-half and that leaves Bressán going back to right back in place of Lilian Thuram.

Things begin slowly, but when we begin to motor, I’m gratified to see the result reflected on the scoresheet. George Clegg is set up by Notman in the area, and the Englishman sees Dudek off his line and cheekily lobs the big Polish keeper! icon_smile.gif We could have had a few extra goals by half-time, but Dudek is anxious to make up for his earlier mistake against Clegg and stops Redondo and Notman from adding to our tally. Right at the end of the half, Carlos Jacques tests Iván Vidal with a fierce drive, but the Spanish international keeper manages to deal with it. From the corner, José heads viciously towards goal, but Vidal manages to get his hands to it to stop Alavés equalising. We sweep the ball down the end of the field and manage to break the hearts of our opponents when Notman tees up Clegg and the English midfielder makes no mistake with a low drive past Dudek! icon_cool.gif

So I’m feeling satisfied at the break, and while Cristian Ãlvarez reminds me of what I was forced to let go with a banana shot on 52 minutes which Vidal deals with just barely, we’re soon back in control. It culminates on 86 minutes when Notman again plays provider by lifting the ball forward for Redondo to control well and slam it from fully 50 yards past the static and woefully positioned Dudek! icon_biggrin.gif It’s his tenth league goal and fifteenth overall of the season, so Redondo is still maintaining a good scoring record despite his age.

Alavés (4-4-2): Dudek ©; Pérez, José, Sudy, Fuentes; Addo, Ladakis, Ãlvarez (Ribeiro 72), Jacques; Soto, Iván Pérez.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Lasa, Smith, Bressán; Owen; Reyes, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Alavés 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

After Barcelona is held to a 2-2 draw at home by Deportivo La Coruña (its third poor result at home in a row), we eke out our lead to four points with ten games in the season left to play. Alex Notman and George Clegg are named in the team of the week’s first eleven, and José Manuel Redondo sits on the bench.

15th of March 2010

I reject a bid of £1.6 million over 18 months for Palomino from Alavés.

17th of March 2010

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 6: Anderlecht v Cartagonova

With half an eye towards the quarter-finals, I decide to give a few fringe players the opportunity to impress me. So Bojan Djordjic, Enrique Kortina, Juan Hernández and Cherno Samba are all installed into the first eleven, while Mantilla and Gary Mason also return to the first eleven. The numerous changes I make to the side means that we need some time to gel, but Anderlecht don’t give us that time, as Karaca tees up Papadopoulos and the Greek international striker curls a 20 yard shot past the outstretched fingertips of Vidal on four minutes. icon_frown.gif But four minutes later, Redondo plays a clever pass into the path of Cherno Samba and the young Englishman makes no mistake from 25 yards! That actually ends the scoring for the game, but not through lack of trying. We have a long spell of pressure on Mardulier’s goal but we must have left our shooting boots back in Spain because we can’t find that essential cutting edge up front. Inevitably, Anderlecht fight their way back into the game, but then it’s their turn to rue their missed opportunities as both goalkeepers earn their pay today. A draw is a satisfying result, but what isn’t is losing Martin Smith to a fifth yellow card which means he misses the first leg of our quarter-final.

Anderlecht (5-3-2): Mardulier; De Backer, Yago, Traoré, Thijs, Invincible (Huysmans 19 (Reynders 69)); Parker (Coelho 63), Clijsters, Lovre ©; Karaca, Papadopoulos.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla (Cabrera 63), Lasa, Smith, Bressán; Mason; Djordjic, Kortina; Hernández; Redondo (Owen 63), Samba.

Final score: Anderlecht 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Cherno Samba

So, that concludes the second group phase, with the ladder looking like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Q Cartagonova ESP 6 3 0 0 12 4 1 1 1 6 7 13

2nd Q Sheff Utd ENG 6 1 2 0 6 3 0 2 1 4 5 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Anderlecht BEL 6 0 2 1 1 3 1 1 1 4 3 6

4th Bayern München GER 6 0 1 2 4 9 1 1 1 5 8 5

</pre>

18th of March 2010

Alavés tries to tempt me with offers for Palomino (£2 million over 18 months) and Alex Notman (a complicated offer that comes roughly to £7 million, but payable over 18 months). Needless to say, I give negative responses to both.

19th of March 2010

I’m floored when Real Madrid submit a written offer of £14.25 million (payable over six months) for Per Vener Rønning. That’s an astonishing figure for a player who, frankly, hasn’t ever really lived up to his undoubted talent. I’m torn by the huge figures dangled in front of mine (and the board’s) eyes, and my natural reluctance to let a player whom I chased so determinedly go. So I equivocate, by adding a stipulation that Real Madrid must pay another £2 million if he plays 20 league games.

21st of March 2010[/b}

I knew I was really testing the limits of Real Madrid in asking for the extra £2 million and, true to form, they decide not to pursue their interest in Rønning any further.

But I’m happy to unveil a new player who will join from next season. After I learned that Alavés had been in for Atlético Madrid full-back Francisco Javier Olmo, I threw my cap in the ring and to my delight, Olmo decided to move to the defending champion. For £1.7 million, buying a player as versatile as Olmo (who can play on either flank as a defender or midfielder) is a good bargain, I think.

Primera Liga - Game 29: Cartagonova v Compostela

Things begin slowly in this game, but heat up when Uruguayan defender Oriol Guarrotxena is sent off for hacking Redondo to the ground with a terrible two-footed tackle. Since it happened inside the penalty box, Redondo is given the opportunity to put us ahead from the spot, and he does so with aplomb on 21 minutes. Seven minutes later, with Compostela a man down and already looking beaten, Notman charges through their defence before laying off to Garrido, and the Spanish international winger flights home a superb goal! icon_smile.gif A moment before half-time, after another mini-period of pressure on Leo Franco’s goal, Djordjic swings a cross in from the left for Notman to tower over Ismael and head home for a 3-0 lead at the break! icon_biggrin.gif The Scottish international quickly makes it 4-0 early in the second half, heading home Garrido’s cross for his one hundredth league goal in Cartagonova colours - a spectacular achievement warmly received by the home supporters! icon_cool.gif The game just about dies as a spectacle from that point on, but we’ll take the win.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Bressán; Djordjic, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Compostela (1-2-5-2): Franco; Avalos; Guarrotxena (s/o 21), Mateo; Carnell; Sierra, Rosada (Piñones-Arce 70), Rubén ©, Dudic; Santamaría (Jiménez 58), Ismael.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Compostela

MoM - Alex Notman

Alex Notman and Jaime Garrido are named in the team of the week’s first eleven and Redondo is again on the bench.

Barcelona’s league campaign has really begun to falter after they are beaten by Ariel Carreño’s Numancia 4-3 at Soria. Christian and Carlos Martins had Numancia 2-0 up inside ten minutes, but Kim Källström cut the deficit in twain on 13 minutes and Ricardo Jorge brought the visitors level a moment later. But Christian scored again on 42 minutes and Carreño added a fourth for Numancia on the stroke of half-time. Ricardo Jorge scored again for Barcelona late in the game, but the result belonged to Numancia and with Real Madrid defeating Valencia 3-0 at home, Barcelona slipped back behind its great rival.

After the round is completed, Celta Vigo’s chairman, Señor Horacio Gómez sacks Eusebio, with the club precariously placed in nineteenth position. Eusebio’s hold on his job was tenuous at best for the last few months and he didn’t even last a season.

23rd of March 2010

I deny a published rumour linking Davide Bagnacani to a £2.8 million move to Real Madrid in the summer.

24th of March 2010

Alavés interrupts my planning session with the rest of the Spanish hierarchy ahead of this weekend’s friendly with the Czech Republic to offer me £3.6 million over 18 months for Bagnacani. I give the offer short shrift.

26th of March 2010

Some clubs really have no decorum. I’m busy trying to motivate my players for tomorrow’s clash with the Czech Republic when I’m called away not once, but twice, to deal with offers for players at my club. First, Alavés offers £2.5 million over 18 months for Iván Vidal. No way, never, not for anything like that will they manage to prise him away from Cartagonova. Rangers then offers me £8.75 million plus another £600,000 after twenty league games for Bojan Djordjic. This is a little more intriguing, but unless they’re prepared to pay Cartagonova £10 million up-front they won’t get close to talking to the Swedish international.

27th of March 2010

On the very morning of our game with the Czech Republic, Alavés continues to hound me over Bagnacani, this time offering £4.4 million over 18 months for the Italian goalkeeper. Go away, because I’m not interested, particularly at this point in time.

Yesterday, the Spanish U-21s did well, defeating their Czech counterparts 3-1, with Numancia’s attacking midfielder Fernando Morán scoring twice, and Raúl Vargas chipping in with the other.

Friendly - Czech Republic v Spain

Unfortunately, it doesn’t go well for us at all. After Vicente misses a chance from Reyes’ cross on 11 minutes, the Czechs pick up the tempo, and Milan Baros goes close on 20 minutes, but for the superb intervention of Laínez. However, two minutes later we go a goal behind from when Grygera’s free kick, Heinz picks up the ball and scores from 25 yards. icon_frown.gif Gavião should have equalised four minutes later, but his header is saved by Cerny, while Raúl misses a gilt-edged chance on 34 minutes, as his header hits the bottom of the post and rebounds away to safety. icon_frown.gif A moment later, our captain volleys wide and we enter the break still trailing that goal. Raúl is desperate to equalise, but his next attempt on 48 minutes flies over the bar, and on a better day he could have had a hat-trick, but hasn’t even forced the keeper into a save.

With 52 minutes on the clock, Raúl proceeds to hit the other post with another header, and there’s a sense of growing frustration about our play as the shots mount up for no reward. In the meantime, Jarolim has a chance to extend the Czechs’ lead from a free kick, but Laínez is there to stop the damage growing. I order a double substitution on 62 minutes, with Vicente and Borja giving way to Zubizarreta and Ãngel respectively. Garrido misses two chances on 64 and 66 minutes to bring us level, while Rosicky forces Laínez into a tremendous save on 68 minutes. Things are beginning to look bad for us now, as we can’t buy a shot on goal to save our lives, let alone a goal. icon_mad.gif The task becomes that much harder when on 71 minutes, Heinz doubles his and the Czechs’ goal tally by heading Jun’s cross home. icon_mad.gif Reyes misses a chance to cut the deficit on 74 minutes, and throwing caution to the wind, I take off our captain as well as Amaya, bring on de la Rosa and Ignacio Morán. As the game ticks towards the last five minutes, we finally get some reward for our constant but hitherto fruitless attacking as Garrido scores with a wonderfully executed bicycle kick, but the celebrations are muted because we know the horse has long bolted. Sure enough, the Czechs hold on for an upset victory, which will set me thinking in the lead-up to the World Cup.

Czech Republic (3-3-2-2): Cerny; Grygera, Fukal ©, Repka; L. Penicka (Polak 80), Jarolim (G. Penicka 80), Novotny (Siegl 86); Heinz, Rosicky; Baros (Horvath 71), Jun.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; Borja (Ãngel 62), Amaya (de la Rosa 75), Marchena, César; Gavião; Reyes, Garrido; Vicente (Zubizarreta 62); Raúl © (Morán 75), Llorente.

Final score: Czech Republic 2:1 Spain

MoM - Jaime Garrido

It was a fairly busy afternoon for Cartagonova players in international friendlies. Zlatan Muslimovic captained Bosnia to a 3-0 loss at the hands of Finland, but at least he could hold up his head as he was one of his country’s best players. A hat-trick from Matti Santahutta put Bosnia to the sword. Martin Smith and Per Vener Rønning were opposed to each other in the Scandinavian derby, and Norway came out triumphant, with Rønning’s country putting four past Morten Hyldgaard in goal for the Danes, in a 4-1 win. Both players played a full 90 minutes, but both were less than impressive (though Smith more so). Cartagonova old-boy and Norway’s captain Kristian Tanem bagged a brace. Gary Mason and Alex Notman were both selected by Scotland’s manager David Hopkin in their country’s 3-0 win over Hungary in Budapest. Notman added yet another international goal to his record, opening the scoring on 31 minutes. Mason had a quiet game and was substituted on 65 minutes. Playing in midfield, Wales’ Andy Owen also had a quiet game as the Welsh suffered a 1-0 loss at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff to Northern Ireland - Owen Morrison scoring the winner on 35 minutes.

Unfortunately, still no international recognition for George Clegg, as he is left out of the 18 players who took part in the friendly against Croatia at New Wembley. The English prevailed 1-0 thanks to an 87th winner from substitute Wayne Bridge.

After the game, I’m contacted by the agent for Granada’s 21 year old defensive utility, Juan Antonio Rubio, who has finally agreed (after protracted negotiation) to a Bosman transfer to Cartagonova in the summer. Having worked closely with Fernando Couto early in my Cartagonova career, I could recognise elements of the great Portuguese’s approach to the game in watching the young Spaniard in action for Granada in the Segunda Liga, and I am gratified to hear that he will come to Cartagonova in the summer. Given that (if I keep my job) I intend to rebuild Spain after the World Cup with younger players, he is in a good position (if he is good enough) to find a place in the Spanish international squad in the next few seasons.

At the airport for the return flight back to Spain, I’m confronted by the usual gaggle of football journalists, who want to know whether I think Ignacio Morán has the ability to make it big at the forthcoming World Cup. As his international manager, I’m conscious that I want to encourage my players as far as possible without crossing the line of putting too much pressure on them. So I comment that I think the Deportivo player has the opportunity to make a big impact in Argentina in a few months.

28th of March 2010

Rangers give up on Djordjic.

In the evening newspapers, Emilio Butragueño writes an article saying that despite the fact he is now a veteran, José Manuel Redondo is playing some of the best football of his career to date. I pen a response to be printed in tomorrow’s paper agreeing that Redondo is playing very well, and I make sure the press secretary sends a copy to our esteemed chairman, Señor Manzano. Very quickly a response is forthcoming from the villa high in the hilltops overlooking Cartagena. He is happy that I have chosen to publicly praise Redondo, saying it would make the veteran striker look good in the eyes of the younger players at the club, which will only be beneficial in the long term.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

A brief update to ease us all into the weekend!

30th of March 2010

I turn down a bid of £8.5 million for Alex Notman from Glasgow Rangers.

31st of March 2010

Primera Liga - Game 30: Real Betis v Cartagonova

A full round of the Primera Liga is played mid-week, and we travel to Seville for a testing game against Real Betis. Señor Francisco Herrera, assisted by two Directors of Football, has succeeded in putting together a talented squad, featuring the likes of Gavião, Edú and Matthew Altena, but to lie eighth in the league after 29 games must be disappointing. But what’s more disappointing for me is that we leave our shooting boots at home and fail to take advantage of Altena’s red card four minutes after half-time. The lack of accuracy is shared between Djordjic, Redondo, Garrido, Mason and Rønning.

Real Betis (4-4-2): Saavedra; Placente, Medina, Altena (s/o 49), Carlos; La Paglia (Corominas 49), De la Peña, Gavião © (Mora 56), Aranburu (Mangold 49); Foggarty, Edú.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Bressán; Mason; Djordjic (Kortina 66), Garrido; Clegg; Redondo (Owen 84), Notman.

Final score: Real Betis 0:0 Cartagonova

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

That was the thirtieth game of the season, so here is what the ladder looks like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st Cartagonova 30 10 2 2 34 17 10 2 4 35 21 64

2nd Atlético Madrid 30 12 2 1 29 15 6 3 6 18 17 59

3rd Real Madrid 30 12 1 2 46 23 6 3 6 27 19 58

4th Barcelona 30 8 4 3 33 15 9 2 4 38 18 57

5th Numancia 30 10 2 2 34 18 6 5 5 30 29 55

6th Deportivo 30 11 2 1 30 10 5 3 8 25 33 53

7th Valencia 30 10 3 3 33 17 5 3 6 19 26 51

8th Real Sociedad 30 10 4 2 36 21 4 2 8 16 22 48

9th Betis 30 9 5 1 28 13 4 3 8 12 19 47

10th Espanyol 30 8 1 6 22 19 6 3 6 17 21 46

11th Villarreal 30 10 2 4 31 20 3 4 7 16 23 45

12th Alavés 30 6 2 7 24 30 5 1 9 22 30 36

13th Osasuna 30 5 4 6 22 22 4 4 7 10 18 35

14th Sporting Gijón 30 6 5 4 19 18 2 5 8 18 28 34

15th Compostela 30 6 3 6 15 14 2 3 10 10 29 30

16th Mallorca 30 4 5 6 15 21 3 3 9 16 24 29

17th Elche 30 3 5 7 17 27 3 3 9 18 31 26

18th Hércules 30 3 5 7 18 24 1 6 8 27 39 23

19th Celta 30 1 6 7 9 18 3 4 9 13 32 22

20th Valladolid 30 4 2 10 13 28 0 3 11 3 29 17

</pre>

I’m interested to note that after tonight’s fixtures are completed, the press lays into Barcelona’s keeper, César Laínez, saying that his defenders have no confidence in him, after the Catalan club slumped to another disappointing result with a 1-1 draw at home against Elche. This is interesting to me, because he has assumed the role as number one keeper for Spain, and I don’t want a shaky keeper just months before the World Cup is about to kick off.

2nd of April 2010

Real Madrid announce to the Spanish football media that they will sign Villarreal’s occasional Spanish international midfielder Artur for £10 million in the summer. Simultaneously, I’m informed by the agent for Belgian international striker Yasin Karaca that he will go to France and Lyon, rather than Cartagonova, on a Bosman free transfer.

4th of April 2010

Primera Liga - Game 31: Cartagonova v Real Sociedad

I sense another change in our form again this season after we’re again disappointing in a match we should have won. However, all credit should go to Real Sociedad and, in particular, their captain and star striker Aaron Cable, who scores twice - once in each half - to set up a good win for our visitors. On 37 minutes, after we had wasted a good spell of pressure, Moya and Calvo combine to play the ball forward to Cable, and the striker beat Vidal from long range. icon_frown.gif Redondo equalises on 51 minutes when he chips Iker Ãlvarez from just inside the box, but we’re playing too poorly to really be favourites to take out the three points, and in the end we’re left with nothing. Cable on 87 minutes slaloms through my defence and buries a wonderful strike past Vidal’s left hand. icon_mad.gif Notman should have equalised two minutes later, but blasts high over the bar and we’re left ruing chances on another day we would have taken.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon (Cabrera 58), Smith (Lasa 71), Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Real Sociedad (4-5-1): Ãlvarez; Moya, Roos, Bridgwater, Benito; Nicklasson (Agostinho 78), Calvo, Rodrigo (Guerrero 91), Falcón, Fekete (Llorente 87); Cable ©.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:2 Real Sociedad

MoM - Iker Ãlvarez

Barcelona finally put a good result on the board and as a result close the gap to four points with seven games to play.

After the match, I drag three of the four defenders into my office and bawl them out for sub-par performances. Gershon and Smith normally work very well together, but this afternoon, they were far from effective, especially when they were only confronted with one striker they should have been able to double-team when he threatened. At left-back, Rønning had another poor game, and his form of late hasn’t been great. We play Roma in the quarter-final of the Champions’ League next Wednesday, and I can’t afford a shaky back four when we need a good result at home to kick-start our campaign. At least none of the three think their warnings is unfair.

7th of April 2010

Real Madrid makes an offer of £5.25 million over six months for Davide Bagnacani this morning. I want £7.25 million over six months for the Italian goalkeeper.

European Champions' League - Quarter-Final, 1st leg: Cartagonova v Roma

“… In a scintillating first half of football, Cartagonova all but booked its place in the final four of the European Champions’ League, as they put four goals past a hapless Lorenzo Bucchi. The rout began for Roma on ten minutes when Lanzaro pushed Garrido and Mason guided the free kick home. Fifteen minutes later, after Bucchi had been pressured into kicking the ball out of field, Mantilla’s throw-in was crossed into the box by Reyes where Garrido buried it past Bucchi to double Cartagonova’s lead. Just past the half hour mark, and Garrido and Notman combined to tee up Reyes, and the Spanish international winger scored with a beautifully cushioned header that did just enough to avoid the dive of Bucchi. Cartagonova’s fourth and final goal of the game came on 35 minutes, when in a ridiculously simple move, George Clegg took control of Mantilla’s throw-in, sidestepped his man, and chipped Bucchi from the edge of the box. Roma’s spirit was broken by half-time, and although they did try to give Vidal something of a work-out in the second half, the game was over as a contest by half-time. Barring any great calamity in the return leg at the Stadio Olimpico in a fortnight, Cartagonova should move through easily into the semi-finals…â€

Well, what a fantastic result! Everything we touched turned into goals, especially in the first half, when we could do no wrong. A few games ago, we couldn’t buy a goal, but now they were flying in from all directions, but strangely, neither Notman nor Redondo has their name on the scoresheet. I could have few complaints about the game we played today. The defence wasn’t really challenged, but when it was, it responded as it had to. Gary Mason in midfield was the complete master of his domain, marshalling those around him, breaking up Roma’s more threatening moves and adding another goal to his tally. Reyes was particularly devastating on the left wing, ably supported by Garrido and Clegg, while Redondo and Notman worked tirelessly up front to create the space for the opportunities to arise. That goes a long way to banish the bad memories of last weekend’s loss to Real Sociedad! icon_biggrin.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Gershon, Rønning, Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Roma (4-3-2-1): Bucchi; Vázquez, Lanzaro © (Ãngel 52), Laursen, Szymkowiak (Morotti 52); Di Dio, Ano, Cures; Inácio Piá, Vicente (Trezeguet 59); George.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Roma

MoM - José Antonio Reyes

The board conveys its pleasure at the result to me after the game, which I share with the boys in the dressing room.

Barcelona also enjoyed their evening, notching up a 2-0 win over Real Sociedad at the Nou Camp. But in the battle of Italy, the home side Fiorentina will have it all to do in Milan, after AC Milan defeated them 3-1 in Florence. Sheffield United and Ajax Amsterdam ended their first leg clash in a 1-1 stalemate at Brammall Lane.

Dixie Flatline

• 2 weeks later...

Another brief update to go into the weekend with!

8th of April 2010

Real Madrid noticed how well Gary Mason played last night, so today they make a ridiculous offer of £2.4 million over six months plus another £600,000 after twenty league games. I tell them in no uncertain terms what they can do with the offer. icon_wink.gif

9th of April 2010

Real Madrid make exactly the same offer as they did yesterday. The rejection blisters the airwaves from Cartagena to Real Madrid just as quickly as it did yesterday. In the meantime, Real Madrid’s hierarchy think that my terms for Bagnacani are too much for the Italian goalkeeper.

I’m shocked to hear on the radio transfer speculation linking Notman to a £4.5 million move to Alavés, while another so-called “expert†says he might move to Rangers soon. I’m straight onto the phone and onto the talk show where I give Notman’s agent (who spread the Alavés rumour) and the other “expert†a spray for spouting such ridiculous rubbish. I call Alex into my office and ask him to explain what has just gone on. Notman swears black and blue that he has no idea that his agent was preparing to publicise such a malicious rumour like he did. I think to myself that this is just happening too often to be coincidental.

Some elements of the football media consider France to have a better than average chance of winning their second World Cup in a few months. But while the striker trio of Thierry Henry (now at Bayern München, but soon to move to Werder Bremen), David Trezeguet (now at Roma), and Nicolas Anelka (at Paris-Saint-Germain) are together, the midfield has lost some sparkle since the retirement of Zidane and Vieira’s legs aren’t getting any younger (he’s 33 now).

B]10th of April 2010[/b]

Real Madrid’s manager thinks another £100,000 will clinch the deal. He couldn’t be more wrong.

I’m offered £6 million for George Clegg by Rangers. I’m not willing to part with him for that price.

After fending offers from the man for days now, I’m interested to hear on the radio that Señor Florentino Pérez, the man who owns Real Madrid, claim that Señor César García García’s job remains safe, despite increasing support unrest. That means he’ll be out by the end of the season, I’m sure. This comes on the heels of a gripping Barcelona-Real Madrid clash at the Nou Camp. Joe Cole had given Real Madrid a shock 2-0 lead by 31 minutes, but after Bardaro pulled a goal back a moment later, two late goals (in the 84th and 86th minute to be precise) to Calaiò and Brighi turned the tide of the game inevitably in favour of Barcelona. The result pushes the Catalan club to within one point of my own, but we play tomorrow against a demoralised Celta Vigo.

11th of April 2010

I again reject another offer from Real Madrid for Gary Mason.

Primera Liga - Game 32: Cartagonova v Celta Vigo

With Barcelona winning yesterday, it’s imperative we come out of this game against a club struggling in 19th place in the league with all three points. I stick with the same players who did the business so well against Roma during mid-week, which means that Rønning keeps his central defence position ahead of Martin Smith, who doesn’t even make it to the bench. We spend most of the first half on the front foot, and we’re rewarded after just 11 minutes when Toni puts the ball past his own keeper from a corner headed into the danger area by Rønning. But we spend the rest of the half knocking fruitlessly at the door for the crucial second goal, as Emilio saves everything that comes near him. However, three minutes into the second half, the always-reliable Notman bobs up with our second goal, converting Garrido’s cross perfectly. icon_smile.gif

Yet, Celta Vigo decide they don’t want to be beaten easily, and they put up a bit of a fight. It’s mostly restricted to long-range shooting from Nano and Diego Ribera, but you never know when they might strike it lucky and give us a nervous climax to the game. We hardly have a moment in possession to call our own after Notman’s goal, and we spend most of the second half defending vigorously - too vigorously for my liking, but we end up with three points, Vidal earns a clean sheet bonus and the man of the match award, and everybody leaves happy. Except, of course, the Celta Vigo players, as the result puts them one step closer to relegation.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Gershon, Rønning, Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Celta Vigo (4-4-2): Emilio; Domínguez (Rubén Pastor 53), Marchena ©, Toni, Sousa; Nano, Roth (Mendieta 61), Xavi (Astudillo 61), Gallardo; Nano, Diego Ribera.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Celta Vigo

MoM - Iván Vidal

14th of April 2010

Copa del Rey - Semi-Final, 1st leg: Extramedura v Cartagonova

I make three changes for the first leg of the semi-final, with Martin Smith, Bojan Djordjic and Cherno Samba coming into the eleven at the expense of Francisco José Mantilla, José Antonio Reyes and José Manuel Redondo. After Notman blasts over on 12 minutes, the game goes quiet for a significant stretch, until Óscar skips past Smith and tries his luck on 21 minutes. However, Vidal has the shot’s measure and we quickly work a move that results in Clegg having a volleyed shot goes close to the mark, but not quite. But Extremadura’s players are confident this evening, and soon the ball is back in our defensive third where Rodolfo Bodipo has a chance to open the scoring, but for the interception of Vidal. After half an hour, Notman twists and turns his way into a shooting position, only to have Robles pull off a brilliant save to deny the Scottish striker. While we fail to make best use of the corner, we keep possession of the ball and Garrido sets up Samba for a simple headed goal on 32 minutes! icon_smile.gif

Extremadura look to hit back immediately, and Vidal pulls off two saves in two minutes from Solis and Makaay. But we fail to make it to half-time with a clean sheet, as on 42 minutes, Bodipo is on hand to turn in the spillage from Óscar’s shot which Vidal couldn’t hold onto. The second half opens with Vidal needing to save Roger’s free kick after Bressán gives away a free kick, and we’re lucky to get away with a legitimate claim for a penalty given away by Mason. We have a decent spell of pressure as the match enters the tenth minute of the second half, but we’re unable to force Robles into making a save at all and as we continue to fritter away chances, I pull off the quiet George Clegg for Juan Hernández, and strengthen the defence by taking off Bressán for Cabrera.

The last ten minutes are more encouraging for us, as Notman begins with a low drive that forces Robles into making a sharp save, and from the corner Hernández towers above Keità but his header is nicely poised for a good save from Robles. Makaay breaks things up a bit with a speculative effort that requires Vidal’s attention on 84 minutes, but as time ticks away Notman has one last chance to break the deadlock. However, Robles has been magnificent all night for Extremadura, and he doesn’t let them down this time. icon_frown.gif Things are nicely set up for the second leg.

Extremadura (4-4-2): Robles; Roger (Escalona 64), Gallas, Keità, Miladin; Montenegro, Howard (Baba Sule 10), Makaay, Solis; Óscar, Bodipo ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Bressán (Cabrera 57); Mason; Djordjic, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 57); Sambo, Notman.

Final score: Extremadura 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Jaime Garrido

In the other match, Barcelona is hot favourites to go through to the final after blowing Athletic Bilbao off the pitch 3-1 in Bilbao.

Dixie Flatline

Let's take another trip to the south of Spain, with Cartagonova!

As I’m about to embark upon the bus, I’m approached by a Spanish FA official, who tells me that I need to select a squad for Spain’s final game before the World Cup, a friendly against Romania. Luckily, I’ve been briefed about the prospects for selection, so I’m able to quickly dash down the following list to be forwarded to UEFA:

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas (28 y/o, ESP 8 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (32 y/o, ESP 27 caps, GK): Barcelona

Defenders

Ãngel (20 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D RL): AS Roma

César (30 y/o, ESP 25 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Juventus

David Oliva (23 y/o, ESP 8 caps, D RL): Deportivo La Coruña

Antonio Vázquez (22 y/o, ESP, D L): AS Roma

Iván Amaya (31 y/o, ESP 65 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (31 y/o, ESP 54 caps, 1 goal, D C): Barcelona

José de la Rosa (22 y/o, ESP 8 caps, D/DM C): Ajax Amsterdam

Pablo Jallas Amigó (19 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D/DM C): Newcastle United

Carlos Marchena (30 y/o, ESP 30 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Artur (28 y/o, ESP 5 caps, DM RC): Villarreal

Fernando Herrero (23 y/o, ESP, DM RC): Osasuna

Gavião (30 y/o, ESP 25 caps, 5 goals, DM C): Real Betis

Diego (31 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Jaime Garrido (26 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 12 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (24 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 8 caps, 1 goal, AM L): Cartagonova

Vicente (28 y/o, ESP 81 caps, 31 goals, AM/F LC): AS Roma

Gerard (31 y/o, ESP 49 caps, 10 goals, AM C): Barcelona

Forwards

Raúl (32 y/o, ESP 121 caps, 59 goals, AM/F LC): AC Milan

Ignacio Morán (23 y/o, ESP 4 caps, F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Óscar del Pino (24 y/o, ESP, S C): Valencia

Diego Ribera (33 y/o, ESP 18 caps, 8 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (30 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 7 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Borja misses out through an injury that will leave him precious time to prepare, while Sabino simply hasn’t played often enough for Cartagonova to warrant a place in the squad. That leaves three Cartagonova players with the opportunity to play for their country against Romania in Bilbao - Iván Vidal, Jaime Garrido and José Antonio Reyes. Other Cartagonova players who find themselves in the same position include Andy Owen for Wales against Lithuania and Zlatan Muslimovic for Bosnia against Georgia.

Players including Martin Smith, Per Vener Rønning, Alex Notman, George Clegg and Gary Mason are not required for their respective nations’ friendly matches in a fortnight. Is this some type of international conspiracy to boycott Cartagonova players from representing their countries? icon_confused.gif

16th of April 2010

Torino offers me £1.8 million over 6 months for Davide Bagnacani. Playing for Torino is an exciting attacking midfielder I have had an eye on for some considerable time, but never had the opportunity to purchase, in Dominican Republic international Vinicio Espinal. So I add him to the terms of the deal, and raise the stakes to £2.7 million over six months plus another £500,000 after twenty league matches. This offer should sort the men out from the boys! icon_biggrin.gif

18th of April 2010

Unsurprisingly, Torino gives up on Bagnacani, just a day after sacking manager Fabrizio Ferron for being unable to lift the club above ninth in the league after 30 games.

Primera Liga - Game 33: Deportivo La Coruña v Cartagonova

With Barcelona travelling to the island of Mallorca to play the 16th placed club, a win against our opponents today, currently sitting in sixth place, is very desirable. We begin well when on 15 minutes, Reyes and Clegg work well together to present a chance to Notman, and the prolific striker doesn’t let us down! icon_smile.gif Clegg drifts a drive just wide a moment later, and on 24 minutes, Mason tests the reflexes of Pascual but finds them working well from a free kick. As the minutes tick by, we continue to keep up the pressure, but Redondo fails to hit the target on 36 minutes. We’re made to pay for being unable to hit the target, as three minutes before the break, Guilherme executes brilliantly a bicycle kick from Bosnjak’s cross, leaving Vidal grasping at thin air. icon_frown.gif We almost go into the break behind our opponent when Rubén has the chance to score from a free kick, but his shot whistles just over the bar.

I give the boys a rev at the break, telling them they need to make the most of their opportunities in front of goal. So I’m excited to see the referee ignore the pleas of both the home players and their fans to award a penalty on 52 minutes, when Pascual catches Clegg trying to get around him. The keeper isn’t personally punished for the foul, but Redondo keeps his cool and slots home the penalty to put us back ahead. icon_smile.gif Five minutes later, only moments after I motioned to Andy Owen to begin warming up to replace him, Gary Mason heads home a bullet header from Notman’s cross to make it 3-1! icon_biggrin.gif

But Deportivo La Coruña aren’t finished yet, and they hit back with Vidal needing to save from Guilherme and Kree in quick succession on 67 minutes, then four minutes later, Godino tests our captain, but finds him equal to the task. Then on 73 minutes, Rubén is allowed to advance deep into our territory before laying off for Bulykin, and the Russian heads it home. However, my despair is quickly turned around for the referee is blowing for a free kick - the Russian had been off-side when Rubén played him through. But Deportivo La Coruña aren’t done with yet, and when Oliva tries to lob Vidal on 81 minutes, our captain can only palm the ball into the path of Godino, who gleefully sticks it in the back of our net to pull it back to 3-2 with nine minutes to play.

However, we seal the points late in the game when Redondo brings up a very special personal milestone. After missing a long-range effort at the start of injury time, we work a good move involving Garrido and Reyes. The latter hits a 30 yard pass straight into the path of Redondo, cutting out the Deportivo La Coruña defenders in the process. Redondo controls the ball and lets fly with a rocket that gives Pascual no chance whatsoever. Luis Sosa, my trusty right hand man and the man who knows everything worth knowing, whispers in my ear as we celebrate our fourth goal that Redondo had just scored his 200th goal for Cartagonova! icon_biggrin.gif I give the senior players the signal, and they promptly hoist the veteran striker onto their shoulders, and he is chaired off to the worship of the travelling band of Cartagonova supporters who managed to make it to Coruña.

Deportivo La Coruña (4-1-3-2): Pascual; Capdevila, Boris, Amaya ©, Oliva; Bosnjak; Kree, Godino, Rubén; Bulykin, Guilherme.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Bressán (Cabrera 75); Mason; Reyes, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Deportivo La Coruña 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

Our lead stretches to seven points over Atlético Madrid and Barcelona, as Barcelona loses on the road to Mallorca 3-1. Roberto Losada scored twice in the first half. Calaiò pulled a goal back through a penalty on 89 minutes, but Castillo made the points safe with a goal in injury time. My first-choice goalkeeper César Laínez had another poor game and I have some thinking to do, with our last friendly game before the World Cup taking place in ten days time.

21st of April 2010

European Champions' League - Quarter-Final, 2nd leg: Roma v Cartagonova

Taking a 4-0 lead from the first leg into the second, there was little chance that I would instruct my players to go out and attack. I reinforced the cautious approach by leaving out Notman, Clegg and Garrido from the team that defeated Deportivo La Coruña on the weekend. Cherno Samba replaced the Scottish striker against one of his former clubs, while Juan Hernández had a chance to impress me from the start, and Zlatan Muslimovic had a rare opportunity to start on the right in place of Garrido.

Roma start impressively, looking to give themselves an outside chance of sneaking through, but Vicente wastes all his good work by slamming his shot against the bar on 5 minutes. Fifteen minutes later, the Spanish international works a good cross but Cures heads over the bar. As time ticks away towards half-time, the crowd turns on their own, and the save from Lanzaro on 37 minutes by Vidal doesn’t help matters for our hosts. Vázquez tries to follow up, but Vidal has the reflexes of a cat when it comes to springing back to his feet, and he deals with the young Spaniard’s shot well. Cures takes up the ball and crosses for Vicente, but the Spaniard hits his volley over the bar. Then, in our first attack of the game, we go down the end and effectively put the last nail into the coffin. Samba never had much of a chance at Roma, and he is effectively in waiting while Redondo winds down his career. But the veteran and the young striker combine to put us ahead on 40 minutes! icon_smile.gif The Romans effectively give up in the second half, but at least salvage an honourable draw when on 69 minutes, Vicente puts a shot beyond the reach of Vidal and into the top right corner. There is some spite between Samba, Cures and Lanzaro shortly afterwards that results in my striker picking up a needless yellow card, but otherwise it’s a smooth passage into the semi-finals.

Roma (4-3-2-1): Bucchi; Vázquez (Ãngel 60), Laursen, Lanzaro ©, Szymkowiak; Cambiasso, Di Dio, Aho (George 60); Inácio Piá, Cures; Vicente.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Bressán; Mason; Reyes, Muslimovic; Hernández; Redondo, Samba.

Final score: Roma 1:1 Cartagonova

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 5:1 Roma

MoM - Gary Mason

Dixie Flatline

In what is likely to be a last desperate bid to influence you, the voter, let's go to Cartagonova one more time! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

The last four in the European Champions' League include Sheffield United, AC Milan, Barcelona and Cartagonova. After drawing 1-1 at Brammall Lane, Sheffield United advanced on the away goals rule after Ajax and Sheffield United draw 3-3 at Ajax Amsterdam. All six goals came in the second half. Ian Armstrong and Brian Kerr put the visitors 2-0 up by 55 minutes, but David Bryngelsson pulled one back two minutes later. However, Anthony Tynan made it 3-1 on 71 minutes. Gattuso gave the hosts some hope when he scored to make it 3-2 on 79 minutes, but Recoba’s late goal still wasn’t enough for the Dutch club to advance.

Theo Janssen put AC Milan ahead on 18 minutes, but Fiorentina equalised on 21 minutes after Abbiati was sent off. However, Fiorentina failed to make its advantage count until too late, as Carnesalini scored the winner on the night in injury time, but AC Milan prevailed 4-3 on aggregate.

Barcelona also had a player sent off in its visit to San Sebastián, with Fernando Varela seeing red on 17 minutes. Real Sociedad pulled the aggregate scores level by going out to a 2-0 lead by 69 minutes, with goals to Jankauskas and Rodrigo. But Damián Manso made a hero out of himself by scoring twice for Barcelona on 71 and 82 minutes to send the Catalans into the semi-finals.

23rd of April 2010

Barcelona seems to be in the market for a new goalkeeper, as its manager, and my rival, approaches me with a bid of £1 million for Davide Bagnacani. I can see why they want him, so I drive a hard bargain in response, naming terms of £7.5 million now plus another £2.5 million after ten league games.

In the meantime, I reject a bid as completely unacceptable from Real Madrid for Gary Mason, worth approximately £3.7 million over six months.

A Portuguese paper first published a rumour that Vitoria Guimarães’ right winger Rui Fernandes may soon be on his way to Cartagonova. I read it in a Spanish paper that also carried the story, and I’m interested in the manager’s response, who chooses to admit that the player might be on the way out. The Portuguese is certainly a good player, possessing pace, acceleration and an ability to distribute the ball well. But with Garrido as my first choice winger and Muslimovic as cover, I don’t think I could afford to bring another right winger into the fold at this stage.

“…There is the mouthwatering prospect that two great rivals in Spanish football might square off in the game to decide the champion of Europe after the semi-finals in the European Champions' League were drawn this evening in Monte Carlo by UEFA President, Signor Cesare Borgia. However, before Cartagonova and Barcelona can do battle in the final, they must first overcome their respective opponents. Cartagonova will travel to England and in particular Brammall Lane to take on Sheffield United in the first leg. Barcelona have a trip to Milan to play AC Milan in the first leg. Both games will be played on the 5th of May, with the second leg a week later…â€

24th of April 2010

I again reject a bid as unacceptable from Real Madrid for Gary Mason. This time, it’s worth £4.4 million over six months.

It turns out to be the last act the Real Madrid manager, César García García is involved in, as Señor Florentino Perez finally bows to popular opinion and sacks the manager for not being able to raise the club towards the championship. He was hired in mid-May 2006, after impressing at Real Vallodolid and in his first full season in charge finished a promising third. Next season brought a second-placed finish behind my Cartagonova, and there must have been talk that in 2008/09 the title would return to the capital. But he went and sold creative influence Pablo Aimar to AC Milan for £32.5 million and failed to bring in anybody to replace the Argentine midfielder. When Real Madrid slumped to tenth at the end of the season, the knives were out, but his President resisted for almost a full season before succumbing to the pressure put on him by the media and the fans. The former manager did bring in Joe Cole, one of England’s best players in the modern era, paying AC Milan £38.5 million in the summer of 2009, along with veteran Italian Francesco Totti and Walter Samuel, but the fans never forgave the sale of the fans’ favourite, Raúl, to Paris-Saint-Germain for the cut-price £20 million in July 2006. Currently, the club lies fifth in the table, twelve points behind Cartagonova and having played a game more.

25th of April 2010

Despite being without a manager, that doesn’t mean Real Madrid is no longer interested in Gary Mason. This morning, I receive an offer of £5.25 million for the Scottish midfielder. I’m still not interested, mind you.

Barcelona think paying £10 million for one goalkeeper is a bit steep, so they discontinue their current offer.

I receive a curious memorandum from the President, Señor Florentino Manzano. Apparently they think I might be looking elsewhere for my day-to-day employment. I’m not sure where they could have received these rumours from, but I’m anxious to advise the board that I’m perfectly happy where I am, especially if I receive a substantial pay increase to match that of my good friend at Barcelona. The club baulks at such a sharp increase in my pay, but negotiations are not dismissed out of hand just yet.

Primera Liga - Game 34: Cartagonova v Numancia

Once again, a good performance from my midfielders and forwards is undone by poor defence. Numancia bought a good striker when they paid me £5 million for Ariel Carreño, and even though I was unable to find consistent use for him, he has repaid Numancia time and again with 18 goals from 29 games before this match. No wonder Numancia are surprising many by sitting pretty in fourth.

The Argentine striker kicks things off on 11 minutes when he plays a neat one-two with Chalier to evade his marker, Martin Smith, before blasting a dipping, curving shot from the edge of the area past Vidal. icon_frown.gif I knew I shouldn’t have sold him. icon_rolleyes.gif Segura pushes away Mason’s free kick on 17 minutes, and four minutes later, the Numancia keeper gets his fingers to Notman’s rasping drive to turn it over the bar. But the Scotsman won’t be denied, and on 25 minutes, he dribbles the entire Numancia defence before planting an unstoppable shot into the top left corner! icon_biggrin.gif That puts a smile on my face, but my defenders’ continued lack of success in stopping Numancia reaching threatening positions quickly wipes it off. I’m sure my counterpart in the other dug-out feels about the same as we troop off for half-time team talks and refreshments, as neither of us can work out how things managed to stay at 1-1 apiece at the break, what with the number of chances created by both teams.

We try to take charge in the second half, with Redondo smashing a rocket towards the back of the net on 49 minutes, but Segura is there to stop him from scoring. Eight minutes later, Redondo misses a fairly simple chance, and we rue that when Carlos Martins shows off his long-range delivery by bending one in from 30 yards. icon_frown.gif Not to worry, as Notman again dribbles the Numancia defence and again puts one beyond the reach of Segura to tie things up at 2-2 apiece with about 27 minutes to play. However, there is precious little creativity from either side in the last phase of the game, although Notman and Clegg miss two chances on 74 and 76 minutes respectively. So we drop two points today, and I have a feeling that might be crucial after today’s results.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith (Lasa 72), Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Numancia (4-5-1): Segura; Linares, Correa, Loeschbor, Melgar (Babangida 20); Camacho, Morán, Carlos Martins ©, Johansen, Chalier (de Almeida 65); Carreño.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Numancia

MoM - Alex Notman

As I suspected, dropping two points means we’re two points closer to the chasing pack. Barcelona notches up a 2-0 win over Osasuna to move to within five points of us, with four games left.

I talk individually to each of the defenders about what they thought of their own games. None of them played particularly well, and it seems that we have some trouble adapting to a sole player operating alone upfront. Checking through our recent results, it appears that when our opponent deploys only one striker, we have no idea how to react, and our defence suffers accordingly. However, I have to say that Per Vener Rønning had a particularly poor game today, and he agrees with me. I serve him with an official warning, and he promises to motivate himself for the future games.

Since it’s the business end of the season now, I sure hope he does.

Alex Notman’s brace and man of the match performance lands him a place in the team of the week’s first eleven. His brace sets a new Cartagonova record, lifting him to 27 goals for the league campaign, breaking his own record of 26, set in the 2007/08 season.

28th of April 2010

Friendly - Spain v Romania

I make a few changes to the side that lost away to the Czech Republic the last time we played. Ãngel makes his starting debut at left-back, with David Oliva coming in on the right. The bench looks a little different, too, with Fernando Herrero and Gerard left out, and Antonio Vázquez and Óscar del Pino, the debutant, filling their places.

Romania fire the first shot in anger after just 120 seconds of football, but Mihalcea’s free kick goes wide. We respond on 9 minutes when Carlos Marchena finds himself in unfamiliar territory, but the Celta Vigo defender isn’t without a clue and smashes a low drive into the back of Romania’s net to open his international account and give us the lead! icon_biggrin.gif We continue to pile the pressure on our opponents, with Ãngel taking the cue from his more experienced counterpart to try his luck on 17 minutes, but he fails to trouble the scorers. On 22 minutes, Llorente gives his doubters some more ammunition when he misses a sitter from Vicente’s cross. And Romania score against the run of play on 24 minutes when Mihalcea and Munteanu combine for the former to curl one in from the edge of the box. icon_frown.gif We step up the pressure, but Garrido and Vicente fail to convert their chances. However, I cross my fingers when Llorente is tackled poorly inside the area at the end of the first half by Rosu. The referee is at first disinclined to award us the penalty, but after consultation with his linesman, he points to the spot. Gavião makes no mistake and sends us into the break at the end of the first half quite happy with our work. icon_smile.gif

I tell the boys to keep it cool, calm and collected at the back in the second half, and inform them that I’ll stagger the substitutions so that a whole new team isn’t introduced immediately. However, I tell Llorente that while he did well to earn the penalty, he needs to improve his performance quickly, else he’ll be taken off. Sure enough, he fails to impress me with his ten minutes in the second half, and I introduce Valencia’s del Pino for his first game at this level. I also take off Amaya for de la Rosa. Del Pino starts impressively, forcing Lung into making a diving save on 58 minutes. We manage to hold onto possession and two minutes later, Vicente chips a cross into the box for Garrido to rise above Rosu to nod it into the back of Lung’s net! icon_biggrin.gif There are a few more substitutions to be made, but we can’t add to our tally with Zubizarreta and del Pino missing chances they should have converted. On 80 minutes, Ignaco Morán tries a speculative drive that almost comes off, but the shine is taken off our victory when on 87 minutes, Dumitru pulls one back to put a veneer of respectability on the scoresheet. Zubizarreta has the last shot in the game, blasting a drive towards the top right corner, but Lung is there to push it away. Still, it doesn’t matter at the end of the day to the result, and I feel quite comfortable with our performance this evening.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Ãngel (Vázquez 70), Amaya (de la Rosa 56), Marchena, Oliva (César 79); Reyes, Gavião (Jallas Amigó 79), Garrido (Zubizarreta 70); Vicente; Raúl © (Morán 70), Llorente (del Pino 56).

Romania (5-3-2): Lung; Rosu (Dumitru 62), Chivu ©, Cioloboc (Stoica 69), Contra, Cristescu (Mutu 56); Munteanu, Berta (Multescu 62), Cernat (Tene 56); Pancu (Matei 62), Mihalcea (Miu 73).

Final score: Spain 3:2 Romania

MoM - Jaime Garrido

There are a few other Cartagonova players involved in international friendly games this evening. Zlatan Muslimovic is one of the few Bosnia players who could hold his head up high after Georgia thrashed Bosnia 5-1 in Sarajevo. Muslimovic scored on 60 minutes, but by that time, Georgia was already 3-0 ahead, and afterwards, the visitors added another two goals. Andy Owen came on after 72 minutes as Wales strolled to a comparatively easy 3-0 victory in Vilnius over Lithuania. Bellamy, Thomas and Lewis scored the goals on 52, 63 and 81 minutes. Martin Smith was a late call-up to the Danish international squad, and they will be grateful for his inclusion, as he scored the equaliser in a 2-2 draw with Yugoslavia in Belgrade. Mateja Kezman scored on 9 and 32 minutes to put the Yugoslavs 2-0 to the good. Peter Madsen halved their lead on 42 minutes, and Smith equalised on 87 minutes.

In other games of note, England crashed 3-1 at New Wembley to the Netherlands. Arsenal’s Chris O’Connor put the English ahead on 13 minutes, but old Cartagonova player Niels Kokmeijer equalised just four minutes later. Patrick Kluivert and Ruud van Nistelrooy scored on 58 and 73 minutes to give the Dutch the win. In Stade de France, the dismissal of Michaël Silvestre on 46 minutes gave Germany the advantage it needed to record a 2-0 victory. Lauth converted the penalty Silvestre gave away, and Deisler made the game save on 69 minutes. Italy struggled against Croatia but eventually prevailed 4-3 at the Stadio Olimpico. Mamic gave the Croats the lead on 27 minutes, but Perinon equalised just before the break. Coppola put Italy ahead four minutes into the second half. However, Ivancic equalised on 54 minutes, and Deranja made it 3-2 in Croatia’s favour on 58 minutes. Pinardi, however, equalised on 64 minutes, and Coppola scored the winner on 68 minutes.

Portugal lost 4-2 to the Ukraine in Lisbon, while Russia and the Czech Republic drew 1-1 in Moskva. Turkey beat Poland 2-1 in Chorzow, while Norway defeated Sweden 2-1 on the road. Greece and Ireland drew 1-1, and Northern Ireland struggled to a 2-2 draw with Albania in Tirane. A hat-trick to Jussi Kujala helped Finland to a big 4-1 win over Belarus in Helsinki, while Cyprus got the better of Estonia 4-3 in Nicosia. Belgium went down in Brussels 1-0 to Bulgaria, while Hungary beat Austria 1-0 in Budapest, and Israel triumphed 3-2 over Latvia in Tel Aviv. Moldova and Malta drew 1-1. Slovenia beat Slovakia 4-2 in Ljubljana.

Dixie Flatline

• 2 weeks later...

Probably for the last time this year, let's take another trip to the south of Spain, and more particularly, Cartagonova!

2nd of May 2010

Primera Liga - Game 35: Elche v Cartagonova

With games beginning to run out in the league season, each point is a treasure as we advance upon our fourth championship in succession. Elche might be in 16th place, but they do actually put up some stern resistance. Things begin well for us when on 14 minutes, Jaime Garrido dances his way through the Elche defence before delicately curling home from the edge of the box. It’s the type of goal I wish he would produce more often for us, because I’ve seen him do it at international level, but not often enough in the club competitions. We deserved the goal, after Reyes and Notman both spurned chances earlier in the game. Garrido almost does it again three minutes later, but this time Dorronsoro manages to tip the shot away for a corner. Then, just after the half-hour mark, Elche begins to flex its muscles. Gálvez tries a bicycle kick on 33 minutes, only to have Vidal push it away, but Vidal recovers too quickly to allow Gálvez to tap in the rebound. A few minutes later, Gálvez clips the foot of the post with a viciously-struck drive, and Elche regather possession from the goal-kick. Mascorro tries his luck with a low drive, but Vidal gets down in time to push it away. But four minutes before the break, our inability to keep possession costs us when Vidal’s distribution goes astray, Fernández García collects the ball and puts in a fine cross for Lozano to volley home. icon_frown.gif

The first period of the second half is evenly balanced between the two sides, but we break the game open on 59 minutes when Redondo plays a clever pass into the path of Clegg, and the Englishman bends a curving, dipping shot into Dorronsoro’s goal! icon_smile.gif Again, Elche want to fight back, but Vidal is playing splendidly this afternoon and doesn’t let them find a second equaliser. Then on 72 minutes, the defining moment of the game arrives when Notman is pushed inside the area, the referee blows for a penalty, and Redondo makes no mistake from the spot. I’m happy with a 3-1 victory, but we have a further goal in store when Garrido hits a rocket of a drive from 30 yards to score his second and our fourth of the game. It’s tough on Elche, as they deserved not to be beaten so badly, but this isn’t a time for sentimentality.

Elche (4-1-2-1-2): Dorronsoro ©; Byrnes, Sánchez, Rodríguez, Ettien; Fernández García; Roy González (Kuhl 59), Cappelletti; Lozano (Duscher 81); Mascorro, Gálvez.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Cabrera; Mason; Reyes, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Elche 1:4 Cartagonova

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

The only sour note is the fact that Clegg picked up his fifth booking of the league campaign, and will miss our next league match against Espanyol next weekend.

Shimon Gershon and Jaime Garrido are selected in the team of the week’s first eleven. José Manuel Redondo sits on the bench.

3rd of May 2010

I’m offered £1.1 million over six months by Parma for goalkeeper Davide Bagnacani. I turn the offer down as being unacceptable.

4th of May 2010

I’m contacted by the Managing Director of Real Madrid in the evening, after work is completed, and I’m at home relaxing with the factory. Señor Jorge Alberto Valdano rings me on behalf of the President of Real Madrid, Señor Florentino Pérez, to offer me the position as manager of Real Madrid. To ensure me of his bona fides, he proposes to fax through the employment contract to my home fax, and in order to buy some time, I ask him to do just that. Everybody in the house is excited. So we all wait anxiously around the fax machine as it spits out page after page of the employment contract.

Finally, the fax machine has done its work, and I gather together in the right order the contract. Waving away my children, and taking my wife into the study, we read through the contract. Of course, it would mean leaving everything we’ve built together in Cartagena behind, and essentially setting up a new life in Madrid. And the hours will be just as long, just as taxing as they are here at Cartagonova. Real Madrid might be a proud club, but it has fallen on hard times of late, and from what I’ve seen from a distance, it would need a lot of work just to get it into a position to challenge for the title next season.

But the pay looks excellent, far higher than what Cartagonova could ever hope to give me, and the facilities are state of the art. Dieticians, nutritionists, muscular experts, physiotherapists, psychologists, and more would all be available at my fingertips, willing and able to assist me in every way conceivable to bring our players that much closer to the ultimate goal. And the money at my disposal - I’ve been promised £46 million to bring in new players for next season. Well, actually, I have about that much at my disposal now for Cartagonova, but even though my current club might have won three championships in a row, and looks on course to claim another one, the best players in the world aren’t interested in coming here. Perhaps they would be interested in playing for Madrid’s number one team (with all apologies to Atlético Madrid and Rayo Vallecano). It’s always every manager’s dream to put together a team of champions, and mould them into a champion team.

It’s a momentous decision, and I take my time in making it. I talk it over with the wife, to obtain her perspective on this. But in the end, it will be my reputation on the line. If I fail to achieve the club’s goals, or the goals of the worldwide fan base, then my reputation will be shot, and it will take a long time to build it back up again. But managing a football team is all about taking risks, making sure there are no regrets. Like everything else, it’s not a clear cut decision to be made. I have to think of my family, of the roots we’ve put down in Cartagena. It might not be Madrid, but it has been our home for ten years now, and we’ve settled down.

But Señor Valdano, and his ultimate boss, Señor Pérez, deserve an answer. I’ve been wrestling with it for almost three hours now. I’ve gauged the opinion of all my family. I’ve searched my heart. Now, it’s time to provide an answer…

I call my boss, Señor Florentino Manzano, to inform him that I have been approached by Real Madrid to be appointed as their new manager, effective immediately. Señor Manzano reminds me that I have a contract to see out until the end of the season, but I know that Real Madrid has already provided me with an indemnity and will pay Cartagonova the nominal sum that remains on my current contract. That does not deflect Señor Manzano. He is a canny businessman and knows that I have been offered a much better pay day at Real Madrid than he could ever hope to offer me. But the difference between the two clubs is that Real Madrid remains in private hands, while Cartagonova has been publicly listed on the stock exchange for a few years now, so Señor Manzano offers me an off-market transfer of a sizeable package of shares and options.

After wrestling with my answer for hours now, the mere mention of a package of a few shares does little to sway my mind, and I tell Señor Manzano that immediately. So he knows the game is up. He demands, quite naturally, that I tell him what my decision is, and I fill him in. There is silence on the other end of the line for a few moments, then he says heavily, “I see. Well, you have to do what is best for yourself. Thank you for your courtesy in letting me know about this situation. We will have a press release organised for you to sign early tomorrow morning.â€

With that, he hangs up the phone, and I go away to prepare for the next stage of my life…

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much guys for putting this thread onto its 49th page! icon_smile.gif I hope you're enjoying the new story, too!

But wait, are we really finished with Cartagonova...?

Actually, the decision is quite easy. On the one hand, I’ll accept and go off into Madrid to manage Real Madrid and Spain. On the other hand, I’ll reject the offer and remain content to stick by Cartagonova for the time being. And I will endeavour to bring you, my loyal readers, both sides of the story going into the future.

The television channel we’re tuned into breaks into an ad break and then blares out the familiar theme of its news flash announcement. The smiling visage of the not unattractive female presenter fills the screen, with the Cartagonova logo in the top right corner. She says: “In sports news tonight, Cartagonova President, Señor Florentino Manzano has just distributed this press release to the media in the last fifteen minutes, announcing that a news conference will be held at Cartagonova in just under five minutes. We hope that you can bear with us while we take you to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena for this breaking announcement.â€

The screen dissolves into a press conference which shows all the hallmarks of being hastily assembled at the last moment by direct order of the President. The President’s brother, who also holds the role of Vice-President, and the chairman of the local supporters’ association flank the President. Señor Manzano reads from an obviously pre-prepared statement: “Thank you for attending at such short notice. We wish to announce that Cartagonova and its very successful manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, have come to a mutually beneficial agreement in respect of his continued employment by the club to the end of the season, and beyond. You no doubt recall that Señor Flatline was employed on a two-year contract which was set to expire at the end of the season. However, after cordial negotiations between the parties, both Cartagonova and Señor Flatline are pleased to announce that Señor Flatline will remain as manager on a one-year rolling contract, with options to extend being exercisable at the end of every season. We are not at liberty to divulge any further details about the contract, and we must stress that the agreement remains in-principal while the finer points are adjusted to the parties’ satisfaction. However, we again stress that Señor Flatline will not be leaving the club in the near future, and the rumours that have reached the club that he will shortly become the manager of Real Madrid are completely unfounded. We apologise that Señor Flatline is not present at tonight’s press conference, but you must make allowance for the fact that he will shortly be on a plane for England for tomorrow night’s European Champions' League clash with Sheffield United. We will not take any questions at this stage, but we will provide you with further details once they come to hand…â€

Archived