How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

3rd of July 2010

Alavés wastes my time with a bid of £5.75 million over 18 months for Enrique Kortina.

World Cup - Quarter-Final: Spain v Sweden

I make two changes to the team that defeated Brazil, with Carlos Marchena and Gavião being rested, in favour of César (who makes a surprise return to my first eleven) and José de la Rosa.

We’re dealt a blow when Iván Amaya is forced off the pitch on 14 minutes with an injury, which turns out to be a badly gashed leg, courtesy of Lai’s raised studs, which were missed by the referee. I bring on Marchena, which was something I didn’t plan to do during this game, to plug the gap. Sweden, however, take heart from my defensive re-shuffle, and proceed to pepper César Laínez with shots from Lai, and Cures, but then are forced back by an injury to Daniel Andersson on 21 minutes. The referee then proceeds to get a little card-happy, handing out yellow cards for offensives that normally would only deserve a free kick, but when some football is actually played Sweden again signal their intentions to take the game right up to us, with Cures hitting a free kick which forces César Laínez into a good save. Our first attack on goal isn’t fashioned until 40 minutes, when Llorente volleys Vicente’s cross towards goal, but is repelled by Öberg. We then let Cures have another chance from a set piece on the stroke of half-time, but Laínez has this one covered, too.

Straight after half-time, Garrido tries his luck from a free kick, which has Öberg stretching his fingers to reach, while the Swedish keeper then deflects Raúl’s header clear on 50 minutes. On the hour mark, Vicente dribbles the Swedish defence but fails to clean up by hitting his shot over the bar. But with 69 minutes on the clock, our long-awaited breakthrough comes when Raúl tees up Llorente for a vicious drive into the top corner of the net! icon_smile.gif Three minutes later, de la Rosa puts the ball ahead of Llorente in the box, and the Real Sociedad striker, on top form now, doesn’t hesitate to try an outrageous bicycle kick, which comes off! icon_biggrin.gif

Sweden aren’t done with yet, and César Laínez needs to save from Sharbel Touma on 74 minutes, while Farnerud tests the reflexes of the Barcelona keeper two minutes later, but fortunately finds them satisfactory. With time ticking away, Waattovaara fires in a low, sizzling drive on 81 minutes, but César Laínez saves that, too. We then gradually regain control of the game, and the last few moments pulsate with action at both ends of the pitch. However, we successfully hold on to our 2-0 lead and move through to the semi-finals! icon_biggrin.gif

Spain (4-3-1-2): César Laínez; César, Amaya (Marchena 14), César, Ãngel; Reyes, De la Rosa, Garrido; Vicente; Raúl ©, Llorente.

Sweden (4-4-2): Öberg; Spong, WingÃ¥rd (Mitic 89), Dahl (Hansson 58), Dorsin; Touma, Lai, Andersson © (Olguin 21), Cures; Farnerud, Waattovaara.

Final score: Spain 2:0 Sweden

MoM - Joseba Llorente

I promise, I'll be back with more soon enough! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said I'd return, and I have!

The fourth and final quarter-final is played in the evening, between Peru and Argentina, and the hosts thump the minnows 4-0. Peru didn’t even manage a shot at Bizzarri’s goal for the whole game, while Argentina scored four times in the first half. Fiorentina’s Javier Saviola put them on the road towards the semis with a goal on 3 minutes. Barcelona’s Bardaro added a second on 38 minutes, and a third for Argentina on 45 minutes. Then in injury time, Riquelme scored Argentina’s fourth goal for the half. The second half, by comparison, was rather slow, but with the match already in the bag, Argentina could afford to take the foot off the pedal.

4th of July 2010

Lens tables a bid of £6.75 million for Enrique Kortina. But I’m in no mood to listen to such offers for such a promising winger, and I don’t need the money, so the offer is turned down.

But the morning’s papers are full of the news that Real Madrid’s new manager, Señor José Manuel Gutiérrez, sells arguably the club’s best player, Joe Cole, to AC Milan for £33 million! icon_eek.gif The 28 year old English international attacking midfielder has moved three times in the past three seasons, for a combined value of £106 million! icon_eek.gif And he only spent one season at Real Madrid before going back to AC Milan, who made a profit of £5.5 million (they sold him to Real Madrid for £38.5 million, and bought him back for £33 million - that’s good business!).

We’ll be in Buenos Aires, to be exact the Antonio Vespucio Liberti stadium, to play the tournament’s host, Argentina, for the right to play either Colombia or Greece in the final of the World Cup. With 100,000 screaming Argentine fans acting as a twelfth man on the pitch for Argentina, this will test my management skills like never before.

Better news, however, from home, with Luis Sosa telling that we’ve finally landed our man - Hellas Verona’s Mariano Carmona. He might only be 21 years old, but I think the £7 million transfer cheque being deposited into Verona’s account (plus £500,000 after ten league appearances, and £1.5 million after ten international appearances) will be money well-spent in the next few years, as he looks to be the leading light of Spain’s next generation of defenders. Capable of playing either as a central defender or on the right, he looks to be a very talented player.

5th of July 2010

While the papers mull over the benefits of the Carmona deal, they also are quick to link Cherno Samba to Lazio in a £4.5 million. I’m keen to hang on to the ex-Millwall and Roma player as I think he’ll have a bigger part to play this season than he has since moving to Spain from Italy, so I ask Sosa to deny the rumours.

6th of July 2010

In an uninspiring match Colombia is the first country through to the World Cup final, after they disposed of Greece by a single goal. Veteran striker, Juan Pablo Angel, scored the goal on 52 minutes, while the Greeks barely threatened, seemingly overwhelmed by the occasion.

7th of July 2010

World Cup - Semi-Final: Argentina v Spain

Well, it’s not quite 100,000 screaming Argentines supporting their country - it’s around 57,000, but it still feels like Argentina takes to the pitch with twelve players, not the legitimate eleven, even though the referee could only count eleven players out there in the famous sky blue and white strip. Before the game, I impressed my players with the importance of making a bright start, not being overawed by the occasion, and ensuring that the Argentines, skilful though they might be on the ball, do not dominate possession. But Riquelme, a hot tip for player of the tournament, gives us an early warning we’ll be in for a torrid 90 minutes (at least) when, inside the first 60 seconds of the game, he bursts through my defenders and stings the fingertips of César Laínez, who pulls off a great save to wake him up this evening. Five minutes later, the Argentine tries his luck from distance, but Laínez has it comfortably covered. Yet we concede possession back to Argentina too easily and Javier Saviola has the chance to pull the trigger from a dangerous position, but fortunately, his shot drifts wide, clips the post and goes out for a goal-kick.

It’s about time we do something in return, so when Jallas Amigó, in for the injured Amaya, dispossesses Falcón with a superb tackle, Llorente picks up the loose ball and feeds it forward to our captain, I’m praying that Raúl will choose this moment to lead by example. My prayers are answered when the veteran striker curls in a delightful goal from all of 40 yards to leave the home crowd stunned after just eight minutes! icon_smile.gif You can be sure that Argentina will come fighting back and Saviola signals his intent when he collects Bardaro’s cross on the edge of the area and sizzles a drive towards goal. Fortunately, he still hasn’t dialled in his radar after 11 minutes and the shot misses. Six minutes later, I’m forced into making a substitution as Garrido signals to the bench he needs to be removed. He’s a tough nut, so I know there’s something wrong. I send on Zubizarreta (not a bad substitution to have, I’m sure you’d agree) and take off the stricken Cartagonova man, sending him into the dressing rooms for a thorough going-over from the national doctor.

Within the space of five minutes, Laínez pulls off a string of fine saves to deny Saviola (on 22 minutes and on 26 minutes), and from the rebound of Saviola’s latter shot, to dive on it before Bardaro can tuck it away. Gutsy stuff from the Barcelona keeper in preserving our slender advantage as the crowd begins to find its voice and urge on their players. On the half-hour mark, with a precious counter-attack, we find Llorente in perfect position to have a crack, but his strike smashes into the cross-bar and back out. icon_mad.gif But we regain possession and Llorente shoots the ball out wide to the right wing where Zubizarreta is haring forward. The Espanyol man curls a shot towards goal, where Verón is back-tracking, only for the ball to strike his knee and bounce past the sprawled Bizzarri into the back of the Argentina net. Verón has the look of a man who wants the ground to open up and swallow him as 57,000 silent Argentine supporters look on at five or six Spaniards clustering around the modest Zubizarreta, congratulating him on taking his chance.

But it’s not over yet and Argentina redouble their efforts to break down the stubborn César Laínez, who is playing a blinder. Jallas Amigó gives away a free kick on Riquelme, and Verón waves away his compatriots, determined to make up for his crucial error. But his free kick sails harmlessly over César Laínez’s bar, and I breathe for an instant. But Bardaro picks up the ball on 37 minutes, skips past Zubizarreta and lets fly with a vicious, thundering drive that has Laínez had full stretch to tip away for a corner. Riquelme sends the ball over from the corner and Falcón is perfectly positioned to out-jump Vicente to the ball and cut our lead in half. icon_frown.gif It’s the fillip the crowd needs and they are chanting Argentina onwards towards an equaliser, with seven minutes in the first half to play. But it is us who should have made it 3-1 at half-time, with Llorente stabbing a shot inches wide of Bizzarri’s post with the goalkeeper nowhere near it. Would the miss prove costly in the second half?

I take some time at half-time to calm the players down. It’s a very intense battle out there, and Argentina are desperate to make it to the final before the home crowd. Nothing less than total victory will satisfy them, and we’re making it difficult. César Laínez is doing a superb job in goal, but the defence looks shaky in front of this relentless onslaught. So I spend some time with the youngsters, Jallas Amigó and Ãngel, telling them they’re doing well and to keep it up for 45 more minutes.

Into the second half now, and but for a few probes from Argentina it’s a fairly event-free opening 14 minutes or so, but on 59 minutes, Bardaro finds himself in perfect position to equalise, only to see César Laínez deflect his goal-bound effort away. However, Laínez would be beaten for a second time by Javier Saviola, who breezed past my defenders, lined up the angles, and beat Laínez with a tremendous left-footed drive. icon_frown.gif So, with 27 minutes of normal time left, we’re back to all-square, with everything to play for. I reacted by substituting the disappointing Vicente for Juan Hernández. But Argentina are playing now with confidence and class, and Saviola has enough space on 67 minutes to try a volley which has Laínez at full-stretch to keep out. On 71 minutes, Reyes misjudges the Argentina off-side trap and is caught out. Samuel lofts the ball forward to Falcón, who finds Bardaro with a swinging pass. Bardaro cuts out Reyes, cuts inside and slams Argentina’s third goal of the evening home past Laínez. Having struggled to fashion opportunities up front, although Raúl and Llorente were doing their best, I genuinely thought about playing for third against Greece at this stage of the game. But I kept hope, taking off the struggling Reyes and putting on Óscar del Pino, switching him with Raúl.

Del Pino almost had an immediate impact, as on 75 minutes, he picks up Llorente’s pass in his stride and fires it low and hard towards goal. But Bizzarri is able to get a hand on it and turn it away for a corner. From the corner, Verón tried to take the ball away, but lost in it a good Raúl tackle. The ball broke to Juan Hernández, who fed Llorente. The Real Sociedad striker, in the form of his career, has no hesitation in burying the volley past Bizzarri, and now we’re equal again! icon_biggrin.gif Argentina, typically, respond with aggression, and César Laínez is called upon twice in the space of a minute to pull off some remarkable saves from Riquelme and Falcón as Argentina tries to seize back the initiative. They continue to knock on the door for a fourth and final goal, but they won’t beat Laínez again. Instead, with practically the last kick of the game, the super-sub, Juan Hernández, wins the game for Spain when he gathers up Raúl’s flick-on and audaciously bends a shot into the top corner of Bizzarri’s net! icon_biggrin.gif A moment or two of injury time, which seem ageless to me, and then the referee blows on his whistle three times to bring the game to a close! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

We’re in the World Cup final!

Argentina (4-1-2-1-2): Bizzarri; Ramón, Milito, Samuel, C. Ãlvarez (Bidal 55); Falcón; Riquelme, D. Ãlvarez; Verón ©; Saviola, Bardaro.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): César Laínez; César, Jallas Amigó, Ãngel; Gavião; Reyes (Del Pino 73), Garrido (Zubizarreta 17); Vicente (Hernández 63); Raúl ©, Llorente.

Final score: Argentina 3:4 Spain

MoM - Raúl

The match stats are interesting. Argentina had 22 shots at goal, 14 of which were on target, to our eight shots (4 on target).

Jaime Garrido has a dead leg, which the doctor says will keep him out of action for a week. He has four days until the World Cup final.

Argentina isn’t pleased it’s not in the World Cup final, as Marcelo Biesla is dismissed immediately after the game.

10th of July 2010

Argentina takes third place in the World Cup after beating a gallant Greece 3-2 before almost 94,000 spectators at Buenos Aires’ José Amalfitani stadium. Greece opened the scoring on 13 minutes through Karagounis, but Charalambakis upended Saviola for a penalty, which Riquelme converted on 17 minutes. Iordanidis put Greece back ahead on 56 minutes, but that lead lasted only 5 minutes before Falcón scored. Riquelme scored the winner on 75 minutes.

Cartagonova signs another player in the evening. Cesena’s 29 year old Ghanain international striker Godwin Attram, a player whom I’ve been a keen admirer of for a few years, signs on the dotted line, confirming a transfer worth £1.9 million to the Serie B club. Attram isn’t a starting eleven man, but he offers pace, passing, dribbling and, most importantly, shooting skills which will be an asset coming off the bench next season.

11th of July 2010

World Cup - Final: Colombia v Spain

Could it get any bigger than this? This is the dream every little boy around the world has, playing in a World Cup final, having the opportunity to lift the most coveted trophy in the world above your head and bask in the glory and adulation of everybody in the stadium, and watching you play around the world. For the starting eleven players this afternoon, and the seven I name to sit on the bench, they have the possibility that this dream could be fulfilled this afternoon, but only if we beat the surprising Colombians, who are no slouches themselves when it comes to playing football. The veterans Iván Córdoba, Jorge Bolaño, Neider Morantes, and Juan Pablo Angel, the dangerous striker Edwin Congo, and the captain Johnnier Montaño, marked out by Parma from an early age to be destined for stardom, are all players we have to watch out for. With no Iván Amaya, Carlos Marchena, Gavião and Jaime Garrido in my first eleven - all failing fitness tests this morning - I’m down to my bare bones squad, looking to the likes of Pablo Jallas Amigó, José de la Rosa, and Francisco Javier Zubizarreta to carry the flag for Spain, under the inspirational leadership of Raúl, who turned it on when he had to against Argentina in the semi-final.

The match begins brightly for both sides, with Montaño shaving the woodwork from a free kick on 7 minutes, while Llorente drives a shot over the bar two minutes later, Vicente doing the same a couple of moments after that, then Montaño keeping a shot along the ground, but going wide on 15 minutes. But when Fouto’s goal kick falls short and is picked up by Vicente on 21 minutes, Colombia should have sensed the danger. No matter, the Roma and Spanish man lets fly with a dipping, swerving thunderbolt that is in the net before Fouto can react and we have the lead of the World Cup final in sensational fashion! icon_smile.gif Four minutes later, Vicente repeats his trick, given too much space and time by the Colombians to line up his angles, and we double our lead! icon_biggrin.gif

Edwin Congo unluckily (for him, anyway) strikes a post on 30 minutes with César Laínez beaten (for once), but we could have been 3-0 up at half-time but for two misses from Vicente and Llorente on the stroke of half-time.

I’m feeling upbeat at the break. We’re 2-0 to the good, and Colombia, although they threatened at times in the first half, are not nearly as dangerous in front of César Laínez’s goal as Argentina was in the semi-finals. Another goal would be desirable, as I think that really would deflate the Colombians, but if we can protect our two goal cushion in the second half, then I think we’ll be home and hosed.

Ten minutes in, and for mine, the player of the tournament grants me my wish. Jallas Amigó breaks up a half-hearted Colombian sortie and finds Llorente with a lovely 35 yard pass that splits open the Colombian defence. The striker controls the ball on his chest, does the give and go with de la Rosa then crashes a 25 yard piledriver into the back of Fouto’s net! icon_smile.gif It’s beautiful to watch, and with just 35 minutes on the clock, Colombia are staring a mountain of a task in their faces to snatch victory away from us. Four minutes later, Raúl demonstrates that class is permanent, no matter the age of the player, by neatly evading the challenge of Pérez Vargas and scoring with a pearler of a shot from just outside the box! icon_biggrin.gif We’re 4-0 up and in cruise control with 30 minutes to play. Vicente almost makes it 5-0 but for a timely stop from Fouto on 62 minutes, although Juan Pablo Angel doesn’t give up the fight, forcing César Laínez into making a save on 65 minutes. Congo, who never stops trying, belies his age with a good shot on the turn, only to see it drift wide on 66 minutes. As time ticks away, Montaño tries to lift his players by going on a solo run and taking a shot on 85 minutes, but Laínez has his angles covered. De la Rosa is lucky not to give away a penalty in injury time, but the referee waves away Colombia’s appeals and with three minutes of time added on ticking away very quickly this time, the referee draws the World Cup 2010 to a close and to a victorious close for Spain.

We’ve just won the World Cup for the first time in our history! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Raúl climbs the steps up to the presentation dais and is handed the Jules Rimet Cup by the President of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, and holds it aloft for everybody to marvel at! The champagne is broken out and soon we’re drowning in a sea of bubbles! icon_biggrin.gif

Colombia (5-3-2): Fouto; Konde, Córdoba, Yepes, Pérez Vargas (Espín 60), Torres (Portocarrero 60); Morantes (Araujo 66), Montaño ©, Bolaño; Angel, Congo.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): César Laínez; César, Jallas Amigó, César, Ãngel; de la Rosa; Reyes, Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Llorente.

Final score: Colombia 0:4 Spain

MoM - José de la Rosa

12th of July 2010

Joseba Llorente wins the World Cup Golden Boot, with 8 goals, two ahead of Argentina’s Juan Román Riquelme, and Javier Saviola. Surprisingly, only César Laínez and Llorente are selected in the World Cup dream team, and Llorente is on the bench! icon_frown.gif The full team, in a 4-4-2 formation, is César Laínez (Spain), Ian Harte (Ireland), Thomas Gjørtz (Norway), Cec Rooney (Canada), Andrew Taylor (USA); Yossi Benayoun (Israel), Joel Lindpere (Estonia), Juan Román Riquelme (Argentina), Sebastian Deisler (Germany); Cristian Bardaro (Argentina), Javier Saviola (Argentina). On the bench sit Brad Phillips (USA), Joseba Llorente (Spain), David di Tommaso (France), Hideaki Kitajima (Japan), Levi Goodliffe (Canada), Philippe Mexès (France), and Johnnier Montaño (Colombia).

17th of July 2010

Having learned from my English contacts that West Ham’s English international right winger Mark Williams is unhappy with his lot at Upton Park, I swoop, offering West Ham £5.75 million for the fleet-footed winger. A deal is quickly concluded with both club and player and I’m happy to unveil Williams to the gathered press for a photo opportunity and some autograph signing. I’m not sure yet just how often Williams will play in the forthcoming season, given I already have Jaime Garrido, Enrique Kortina and Zlatan Muslimovic all more than capable of playing right wing, but I think Williams is a quality player and well worth having at the club.

It also means that my accepted transfer bid to Vitória Guimarães for their right winger Rui Fernandes is now unnecessary and he’s likely to move to Sporting Lisbon in the next couple of days.

18th of July 2010

Rivaldo finally takes my hints and calls a press conference this evening to announce his immediate retirement from football. Although he didn’t do very much on the pitch for Cartagonova, his long and mostly glittering career will be long remembered by those who had the privilege of watching him play, and certainly the players that worked with Rivaldo on the training track at Cartagonova learned a trick or two from the Brazilian, who ended up collecting 119 caps for Brazil, scoring 26 goals. After bouncing around the Brazilian leagues, playing for the likes of Corinthians and Palmeiras, he transferred to Deportivo la Coruña in 1996 and spent a season there, for 41 appearances and 21 goals. At the end of his first season in Spain, Barcelona targeted him as their replacement for the outgoing Ronaldo, although they played two different styles of football. Rivaldo stayed at Barcelona for ten seasons, collecting Primera Liga championships in 2002 and 2005, Champions’ League victories in 2003 and 2004, and FIFA’s World Player of the Year award in 2002, amongst other awards. He then moved to Germany, with 1860 München for a season in 2007, but did not find life in Germany all to his liking. When I offered him a chance to be part of something big here at Cartagonova, he jumped at the chance, but his opportunities were limited to a single, solitary substitute appearance the season before last, although he did fashion a goal through his extraordinary genius. He was a great player and will be remembered by many who saw him play: Rivaldo (38 y/o, BRA 119 caps, 26 goals, AM LC): 0(1) app, 1 assist, av. rating: 8.00.

20th of July 2010

I smash the club’s transfer record this morning by completing the signing of Finnish international forward Henri Scheweleff from Atlético Mineiro for £15 million, payable over 12 months, with an additional £2.5 million after 30 international appearances (he has 36 caps already). The 27 year old forward is as near a clone of Alex Notman as you can get, and even though he’s weighed down by a big transfer fee, I think that he has the potential to be as successful as Notman has been. He has certainly succeeded in Brazil’s leagues, but this is the big time, and I’m spending a lot of the club’s money on this transfer. But it definitely shows everybody else that we’re deadly serious about making it five championships in a row this season.

22nd of July 2010

Alavés offers me £3.8 million over 18 months for Per Vener Rønning. I want to see if they are serious about the Norwegian international, so I demand £10 million over 18 months.

24th of July 2010

Alavés gives up on Rønning.

26th of July 2010

Alavés approaches me again with a bid of £3.8 million over 18 months for Rønning. Again, I respond by slapping a £10 million valuation on him.

28th of July 2010

As Alavés again gives up on Rønning, Real Madrid makes me an offer of £2.8 million for Gary Mason. I want £10 million over six months for my midfield general.

29th of July 2010

A news agency reports that Gary Mason wants to move to Real Sociedad for £1.8 million. I speak to my midfielder before responding to the press, and Mason confirms he is more than happy here at Cartagonova and wouldn’t dream of leaving. So, with my confidence restored, I issue a press release stating that Mason is not available for transfer and won’t be leaving this club any time soon.

30th of July 2010

Real Madrid gives up on Gary Mason.

I persuade José Manuel Redondo to sign a new contract with the club that lasts two seasons. By the time this contract expires, he will be 36 years old, so it’s doubtful that he will continue playing past this current contract.

1st of August 2010

Alavés don’t want to give up on Rønning, but they don’t want to improve their terms, offering me £3.8 million over 18 months for the Norwegian international. Rønning is coming out of contract at the end of this season and he isn’t likely to negotiate an extension with me, so I decide to be a little more reasonable - £5 million over 18 months, a 10% sell-on clause, and £1 million after 10 internationals.

César Cabrera and George Clegg follow the lead of Redondo by putting pen to paper to new contracts that tie them to the club for a further three seasons apiece.

2nd of August 2010

I turn down an offer of £3.1 million for Enrique Kortina from Atlético Madrid.

Shimon Gershon signs a new two year contract with Cartagonova.

3rd of August 2010

Alavés fails to see my more reasonable terms for Rønning as not reasonable enough.

4th of August 2010

Both Madrid clubs make me an offer for Enrique Kortina, valuing the young winger at £3.7 million. Both offers are rejected.

5th of August 2010

I sign a young Brazilian forward by the name of Alessandro da Silva Marques on loan for the season from Brazilian club Juventude. I wanted initially to buy him, but his club isn’t willing to let him go just yet, but they have him listed on loan, so I quickly snapped him up. He is a quick player who is good with the ball at the feet, and he’s capable of finishing off an opportunity when presented to him. He’s also not bad at set pieces, and he has the stamina to go all day or night (well, at least 90 minutes, anyway), and he’s good in the air. At 22 years of age, if I can snap him up permanently, then I’ll be a very happy manager.

In the first semi-final of the F1 Cup V competition, Manchester United comfortably beats Fiorentina 3-1.

F1 Cup V - Semi-Final: Cartagonova v Porto

To most followers of Cartagonova the eleven names I hand to the referee before the game kicks off look a little unfamiliar. Iván Vidal, Lasa, Smith, Mason, Djordjic, Clegg and Moedim Júnior are given starts, while the remaining five players are appearing in Cartagonova colours for the first time. We get off to the best possible start when Athirson unluckily deflects Williams’ shot past his keeper into the back of Porto’s net on 2 minutes. Moedim Júnior tees up Scheweleff on 19 minutes, and the Finnish striker forces Moreira into making a good save. But Porto turn up the heat and on 27 minutes, Alex scores the equaliser. Porto aren’t content to sit back and soak up our pressure after that, and on 33 minutes, the same player has put the Portuguese 2-1 in the lead, and my defence looks disorganised. Porto continue to keep up the pressure and Postiga has the ball in Vidal’s net, but it’s ruled out for off-side against Tainio.

I immediately respond by hauling off Olmo, Lasa and Smith, replacing them with Cabrera, Palomino and Rubio respectively, telling my defenders to mind their players very carefully. We begin the second half brightly, with Moedim Júnior beating his man to Djordjic’s cross, but hits the side-netting only. On 56 minutes, Mark Williams speeds down the wing and picks up Moedim Júnior’s through-ball, but sends his shot wide of the mark. Then, two minutes later, Gary Mason picks up the ball in the middle of the park and begins to dance his way into the box before scoring a fantastic individual goal to equalise the game! icon_smile.gif Both clubs have opportunities to win the game before the end of 90 minutes, but it’s still tied at 2-2 apiece when the referee draws a close on normal time. On 99 minutes, veteran French defender Michaël Silvestre strikes a piledriver from distance to end the game in Porto’s favour. icon_frown.gif We’ll play Fiorentina in the third-versus-fourth playoff.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Olmo (Cabrera 46), Lasa (Palomino 46), Smith (Rubio 46), Carmona (Rønning 69); Djordjic, Mason, Williams (Kortina 69); Clegg; Scheweleff (Attram 69), Moedim Júnior.

Porto (4-3-2-1): Moreira ©; Athirson (França 77), Argel (Aimar 55), Vidais, Óscar (Trezeguet 69); Silvestre, Jorge Andrade (Benjamin 64), Tó Luis; Alex, Postiga (Bruno 88); Tainio.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:3 Porto (aet)

MoM - Johan Tainio

6th of August 2010

Real Madrid and Elche offer me £4.5 million for Enrique Kortina. I turn the offers down.

Barcelona is struck a blow when Roma unveil Cristian Bardaro, whom they signed on a free transfer from the Spanish club. Bardaro had terrorised plenty of Spanish defences over the past few seasons, scoring 60 goals in 147(11) appearances in all competitions for Barcelona.

F1 Cup V - Third versus Fourth: Fiorentina v Cartagonova

I change the side around against Fiorentina, resting some players who looked a little tired after our loss against Porto, and hopefully freshening things up in the hot August sun. Kortina blazes a path past Lassissi and Grossi on 17 minutes, but fires wildly over the bar, while Gillet does well to save from Timms on 21 minutes. A moment or two later, da Silva Marques almost scores, but his shot goes wide at the death. Then on 39 minutes, Fiorentina take the lead when Raimondi half-volleys Timm’s pass through Gillet’s legs. icon_mad.gif

But we equalise straight after the break when da Silva Marques shows a glimpse of his latent talent, holding off Lassissi before crashing home a drive from 25 yards! icon_smile.gif Equality, however, remains only for six minutes, before Fiorentina take the lead when Daniel Andersson hits a shot first-time from Antonioli’s pass into the top corner of Gillet’s net. icon_frown.gif Muslimovic spurns a chance to equalise on 56 minutes, while Attram should have done better with his free header on 69 minutes. Mads Timm then buries us with a bicycle kick to put Fiorentina 3-1 up on 72 minutes, while a moment before full-time, Giorgini completes the drubbing by scoring Fiorentina’s fourth goal.

The scoresheet probably flatters Fiorentina a little, because I thought we were competitive for most of the game, but they took their chances, and we didn’t.

Fiorentina (4-4-2): Fabbri; Verdi (Benedetti 25), Capuano, Lassissi, Grossi; Criniti (Cotroneo 61), Baldini (Giorgini 46), Andersson (Piazza 53), Raimondi (Antonioli 46); Roni (Esposito 46 (Tancredi 83)), Timm ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Gillet ©; Olmo (Robles 62), Lasa, Smith, Carmona (Cabrera 62); Owen; Kortina, Muslimovic; Hernández; da Silva Marques, Attram.

Final score: Fiorentina 4:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Mads Timm

Manchester United wins the coveted F1 Cup by defeating Porto 2-0 in the final this evening. Fay and Lyons score the goals for Manchester United.

The supporters’ club official website leaves me in no doubt what they expect from this season, with the banner proclaiming a successful campaign for Cartagonova on all fronts, after I spent £35 million in the off-season strengthening the squad. I respond, saying we will be challenging for our fifth successive title this season.

7th of August 2010

The offers continue to be tabled for Enrique Kortina. This time, Celta Vigo wants to buy its former player back, and along with Deportivo la Coruña, they offer me £5.25 million for the talented midfielder. The offers are rejected.

8th of August 2010

Racing Santander want Per Vener Rønning and to buy him, they are prepared to pay £3.1 million over 18 months, plus £1.1 million after 20 league appearances. I demand £3.5 million over six months, plus £1.1 million after ten league appearances, and a 10% sell-on clause. Racing Santander also want Palomino, and are prepared to pay £1.8 million over 18 months. The offer is unreasonable and is rejected.

The head of the youth academy recommends that I should take a look at the 17 year old attacking midfielder Manuel Vega. The young Spaniard is certainly rough around the edges, but has the aerobic capacity to keep going for 90 minutes. He doesn’t possess much pace, nor is his passing up to scratch, really. However, he seems to possess a good technique, so a lot of intensive coaching could build up those skills. But I want to see definite signs of improvement by Christmas, otherwise I think I’ll let him go.

9th of August 2010

Friendly - Gazélec v Cartagonova

This is the first of our three-match trip to France, and after bowing out in straight sets in the F1 Cup V, it’s important that we have a confidence-boosting win against a lowly French side. We start brightly enough with Djordjic opening the scoring on 21 minutes, having been set up by Scheweleff. Then Djordjic assists Mason put our second goal on the board with a nice volley from the Scottish international midfielder on 25 minutes. We thoroughly deserve our 2-0 lead at the break, having seen many other chances saved by the Gazélec keeper in the first half.

So you’ll understand when my satisfaction turns into fury by 55 minutes when Gazélec has equalised. Cristofari scores on 52 minutes by beating Mason and hitting a swerving shot past the static Vidal. Then, like a bolt out of the blue, Anton levels the game for Gazélec on 55 minutes. Fortunately, Scheweleff calms me down with a goal on 59 minutes, his first in Cartagonova colours, but we escape conceding a third goal thanks to a close off-side call by the linesman a minute later. Gary Mason adds a fourth goal for us on 65 minutes and that’s enough for us, although Garrido manages to pick up an injury just three minutes after coming on as a substitute for Mark Williams.

Overall, a satisfactory performance, but we should have done much better against this level of opposition.

Gazélec (5-3-2): Levet; Leroy (Anton 16), Laget (Christanval 55), Lecomte, Boulila (Guyot 37 (Robin 71)), Boli (Moreira 55); Roche (Padovani 55), Moreira (Perrin 24), Cristofari ©; Marquet (Grondin 60), Berete.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Olmo, Gershon, Smith (Lasa 55), Carmona; Mason; Djordjic, Williams (Garrido 72 (Kortina 75)); Clegg (Attram 72); Scheweleff, Moedim Júnior (da Silva Marques 55).

Final score: Gazélec 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - Gary Mason

10th of August 2010

My terms are too much for Racing Santander to continue their interest, for now, in Per Vener Rønning.

Not good news, as loan signing Alessandro da Silva Marques strains a groin in training ahead of our next match against Nice. I immediately send him back to Cartagena for further treatment, but the news isn’t good - he’ll miss a month.

11th of August 2010

Parma faxes my hotel with a bid of £6.5 million for Enrique Kortina over six months. I smile to myself and phone the Parma manager, Signor Alberto Malesani, that Enrique is not for sale at any price.

12th of August 2010

Alavés approaches me with an offer of £3.9 million over 18 months for Rønning. I want £5 million over 18 months, a 10% sell-on clause, £1 million after ten league matches and £1 million after ten internationals before I’ll agree to let them talk to the Norwegian.

Friendly - Nice v Cartagonova

We absolutely dominate this game from start to finish, but the scoresheet looks respectable for Nice because their keeper did a brilliant job, and our keeper played decidedly averagely. For the first time, I paired Scheweleff and Notman and they confirmed my hopes and prayers by striking an immediate partnership. However, the efforts of Nice’s keeper and captain, Damien Grégorini keeps us out until the 21st minute before Notman half-volleys Williams’ pass into the back of his net. Three minutes later, Clegg doubles our lead by shrugging off a Nice defender and blasting a drive into the top right corner. icon_smile.gif But Grégorini remains undaunted and continues to frustrate us for the remainder of the half. To add insult, Nice have the temerity to score on 44 minutes, when 18 year old striker Bruno Boulanger is in the right place at the right time to wrong-foot Vidal and tap home Kroupi’s pass. icon_frown.gif

We continue to make the play in the second half and we have the lead back out to two goals when Scheweleff smashes a low drive past Grégorini from Notman’s knock-down on 55 minutes. But we continue to make things difficult for ourselves by fluffing our chances in front of goal and letting Nice score their second with 11 minutes to play. This time, Vidal is hopelessly out of position for Kroupi’s drive and from their two accurate shots, Nice have scored two goals. icon_mad.gif There is no way that Nice deserve to be only a goal down, given our absolute domination of this game, and Clegg restores some respectability to the scoresheet by scoring our fourth and final goal on 87 minutes to seal our victory.

Although I’m disappointed with the result, there are some positives to take out of the game. Scheweleff and Notman had an instant partnership going until I withdrew Notman on 61 minutes. Williams played excellently on the right of midfield, coordinating corners well and generally creating havoc with his pace and passing abilities in open play. Carmona had a good game at right back, completing six tackles from six attempts and providing a good outlet from defence.

Nice (4-4-2): Grégorini ©; Millet, Da Silva (Ringot 62), Rodriguez, Afanou (Olive 25 (Cissé 53)); Ahamada (Mendy 53), Maurel (Dabo 91), Sola (Dupont 53), Rubil; Boulanger, Kroupi.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Olmo (Cabrera 61), Gershon, Smith, Carmona; Mason; Djordjic (Reyes 61), Williams; Clegg; Scheweleff, Notman (Attram 61).

Final score: Nice 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

I talked about the positives. Now I’ll mention a negative. Iván Vidal has not played well for the club in the friendlies since returning from World Cup duty (where he didn’t play a game). I hope he’ll recover in time for the start of the season, because I don’t think I could bear replacing him with either Gillet or Martínez.

14th of August 2010

I’m surprised to see that Alavés has scraped together the funds to meet my terms for Rønning. I’d be disappointed to lose Rønning, but I think that I have brought in sufficient cover to replace him if and when he leaves the club, so I’m not going to block the transfer now. Accordingly, I let Alavés talk to the Norwegian about the move.

Dixie Flatline, signing off... icon_wink.gif

Dixie Flatline, signing on! icon_wink.gif

15th of August 2010

Friendly - Lens v Cartagonova

Our final pre-season friendly pairs us with Lens, so I expect a not unreasonably stern test from the French club. But Francisco Olmo shows he doesn’t mind getting forward when he gets into the box and pops home the rebound from Williams’ partially blocked shot on 6 minutes. Eight minutes later, Henri Scheweleff out-jumps Oumouri to head home Williams’ excellently flighted cross to double our lead. However, Lens cut our lead in twain when Diouf plays a ball forward to Drosos, and the Greek forward bangs home a low left-footed drive. icon_frown.gif Despite the best efforts of both sides, the scoresheet still reads 2-1 at half-time. Thirteen minutes into the second half, we make it 3-1 when Pontal’s long ball goes wayward, Scheweleff picks it up, beats his marker and scores a terrific goal! icon_biggrin.gif I make some changes on 66 minutes, only to see Verón, in for the rested Mason, commit a terrible foul in the box and gets himself sent off for it. icon_mad.gif Drosos converts the penalty to give Lens a sniff of something, and Gao almost equalises for Lens on 74 minutes after a great run through our defence. But Williams settles the matter with a somewhat fluky goal when an attempted cross dips under the cross-bar of the Lens keeper. He’s modest about it, but it puts a shine on the scoresheet that I like. icon_smile.gif The match stays at 4-2 at the final whistle.

Lens (4-1-2-1-2): Penneteau ©; Brandán (David 46), Leílson (Quedrue 66), Oumouri (Coulibaly 60), Paulo Filipe; Gao; Marin (Lamarche 54), Piocelle; Diouf; Baros (Soares 66), Drosos.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Olmo, Gershon, Smith (Lasa 66), Carmona; Verón (s/o 67); Djordjic (Reyes 66), Williams; Clegg (Hernández 66); Scheweleff, Notman (Attram 66).

Final score: Lens 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - Henri Scheweleff

16th of August 2010

It’s just my luck that the Spanish FA has somebody there to observe the game, as Ricardo Verón is hit with a further three match ban on top of his automatic suspension.

17th of August 2010

I’m very disappointed to see a direct quote in the newspapers from Enrique Kortina. Apparently, he wants to move to Alavés for just £2.8 million. His agent tries to drum up interest by saying that Racing Santander and West Ham also are interested in buying him. I’m disappointed and angry, and I make that very clear to Kortina at training that afternoon, sending him on endless laps of the stadium, whilst the other players work on their skills and play a scratch five-a-side match.

One player who will move to Alavés is Per Vener Rønning, who tells me that he has agreed terms with his suitor and will leave in the afternoon. Although Rønning and I haven’t always seen eye to eye over the past few years, I appreciate his straightforwardness in telling me. Kortina could learn something from that: Per Vener Rønning (27 y/o, NOR 26 caps, 4 goals, D/DM/F LC): 74(26) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.84.

18th of August 2010

Deportivo La Coruña offer me £2.1 million over six months for Ricardo Verón. It’s a tempting offer, but if Deportivo are serious, then they’ll offer me £2.5 million over six months, plus £500,000 after ten league matches, and a 10% sell-on clause.

Robles will miss the start of the season after he suffers a badly bruised jaw in training.

19th of August 2010

Barcelona signs Real Sociedad’s Argentine international midfielder Juan Carlos Falcón for £12.75 million. Falcón actually left Barcelona for Real Sociedad half-way through last season, but an impressive World Cup for Argentina must have changed my rival’s mind about him.

20th of August 2010

On the last day before the transfer deadline closes, Racing Santander make a desperation bid of £2 million for Francisco Javier Olmo. I’m not prepared to sell Olmo so soon after signing him, so I turn the offer down.

Deportivo la Coruña matches my terms for Ricardo Verón, so I allow them an opportunity to speak to the Argentine midfielder before the deadline slams shut. He agrees terms in the afternoon with Deportivo and they register his transfer with the Spanish FA just half an hour before the deadline officially expires. It was a short and not particularly productive stay for Verón at Cartagonova, but in selling him, I do increase the price at which I purchased him from Atlético Madrid: Ricardo Verón (29 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C): 8(1) apps, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.11.

Real Betis and Racing Santander offer me £2.3 million over six months and £3 million over 18 months respectively for Francisco José Mantilla. I demand £5 million for the left back.

21st of August 2010

The transfer deadline finally expires. That means it’s time to analyse the squad and the other 19 clubs before we launch into the season proper. As always, we begin with the goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): 398(1) apps, 455 conceded, 31 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29: As the proven leader of this club, Vidal has an opportunity to lead Cartagonova towards five consecutive Primera Liga championships, a feat achieved only by the great Real Madrid side of the 1950s. Vidal is an exceptional keeper and an inspirational leader, and he knows that he was only a whisker away from starting each game for Spain in the World Cup. Hopefully that knowledge will spur him onto bigger and better things in the coming season, and he seeks to take over from César Laínez as Spain’s no. 1 keeper for Euro 2012. In the meantime, I will need Vidal to bring leadership qualities to the table to help smooth the transition for the new players who have arrived this season.

Jean-François Gillet (32 y/o, BEL 29 caps, GK): 7 apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 6.86: A failed sojourn to Turkey means that Gillet was more than willing to accept my phone call and a proposal to move back to Cartagonova to replace Davide Bagnacani. Although Gillet was poor in the last two games he played for the club, conceding six goals in the process, I think Gillet is a good keeper and a more than adequate replacement for Vidal, if I need one this season. I, of course, hope that Gillet sees every game from the pine, but it’s better to be prepared than need to scratch around trying to find a solution an hour before game-time!

Jesús Martínez (18 y/o, ESP, GK): 1 app, 2 conceded, av. rating: 7.00: At 18 years of age, you could hardly call Jesús the finished product, and he has a lot of development to do, but he handled himself very well when I threw him in the deep end for a game last season, losing his concentration only towards the end of the game (which proved costly to us, because we drew when we should have won). I have high hopes that Jesús will become a quality keeper for years to come after the retirement of Vidal.

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (32 y/o, ISR 62 caps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C): 233(6) apps, 9 goals, 8 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14: Now a veteran in his sixth season since joining from Osasuna back in 2005/06, Shimon is fresh from representing his country at the World Cup in Argentina. Although he might be 32 years old, and starting to lose a yard of pace, Gershon is a genuinely experienced defender and will again feature heavily in my plans for a fifth straight title this season. He has a good understanding with Martin Smith and Iván Vidal, and I’m loathe to break that up this season.

Palomino (22 y/o, ESP, SW/D/DM C): 1 app, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 9.00: From one extreme to the other, Palomino is still learning the ropes of professional football. I sent him out on loan for the balance of last season to gather some experience of playing professional football day-in, day-out, and I think that will stand him in good stead as he presses his claim for a first team place this season. I think Palomino has great ability and the potential to become a regular in the near-future. He is also well-placed to inherit the mantle of the centre back from either Gershon or Smith in the next couple of seasons as they begin the twilight of their careers here at Cartagonova.

Andrés Bressán (33 y/o, ARG, D RLC): 45(3) apps, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.90: I brought Andrés in as a stop-gap measure while I could hunt down some youthful talent to support my then full-backs. Bressán played more often than I would have liked last season, particularly with Cabrera and Rønning in such inconsistent form, but I don’t think he will have as near an impact on the future of Cartagonova this season as last, due to the strengthening of the squad I’ve done over the off-season with a special focus on the full-backs.

César Cabrera (25 y/o, ESP 8 caps, D RL): 95(13) apps, 1 goal, 20 assists, av. rating: 6.75: I think this season, much as it did for Juan Hernández last season, represents a watershed season for Cabrera. If he wants to retain a place amongst the elite of Cartagonova, he will need to seize his opportunities this season like he hasn’t before. It’s come to the point that I can’t, and won’t, tolerate his inconsistent performances. I need him performing to the best of his ability week-in, week-out, and if he can’t deliver that, then I will find somebody who is prepared to give it is all in the advancement of Cartagonova’s cause. Cabrera is certainly a talented player, but he does not always show it. In a defender, that can cost goals, which costs matches. Hopefully he will have asked himself why I left him out of Spain’s squad for the World Cup, and hopefully he will have come up with an answer. Only time will tell.

Mariano Carmona (21 y/o, ESP, D RC): 0 apps: I spent £7 million on brining Carmona back from Italy, where he had done quite well with Verona, to Spain and Cartagonova. Certainly, £7 million is a steep price tag for a 21 year old defender, but Verona knew they had a great player on their hands and knew that I was determined to purchase him. However, I think that in Carmona, we have a player worth every penny of the fee we paid for him to come to Cartagonova. I’ve seen him in action during the pre-season friendlies, and I’ve seen a smooth, assured defender capable of blocking off an avenue to attack and setting our own players free. I could use that stability at the back at the moment. He will have a big future at Cartagonova, I’m sure.

Francisco Javier Olmo (25 y/o, ESP, D/M RL): 0 apps: Another new face at Cartagonova, and he will likely take the position formerly occupied by one José María Lacruz, whom you might remember. Olmo is perhaps a little more attack-minded than Lacruz, but he is a good, solid full-back prepared to give his all. I spent only £1.7 million on taking him to Cartagonova, and I think he’ll pay that off in no time flat.

Francisco Robles (20 y/o, ESP, D/M RL): 0 apps: A little bit of a work in progress is Francisco Robles. He has some talent, but is still a raw gem in need of polishing. He won’t feature very often in this campaign, while we try to smooth off those rough edges, but I think that Robles is a good player who will contribute to Cartagonova in the next few seasons.

Lilian Thuram (38 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC): 6(3) apps, av. rating: 6.33: Thuram’s last season as a player/coach, and also his last season with Cartagonova before moving to Elche at the end of the season. Thuram is a good coach and will be missed.

Francisco José Mantilla (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D L): 22 apps, 2 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 6.91: Francisco has nursed a grievance against me for punishing him as a result of a poor game he played towards the end of the season throughout the summer. I’ve toyed with the idea of selling him, especially since Real Betis are keen to take him back, but I’m not yet ready to give up on moulding him to a potentially brilliant left-back. However, he has made it hard for himself as I’ve gone out and signed plenty of other players capable of taking his position in the first eleven. He will need to change his attitude before he gets back into contention for his position. Once he does, we’ll see where it goes.

Martin Smith (32 y/o, DEN 47 caps, 2 goals, D/DM LC): 126(4) apps, 3 goals, 11 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.85: The board wants me to sell him, but Smith is genuinely a good defender who has struck up an understanding with his fellow centre-half, Shimon Gershon. Just as a partnership between strikers is important, I’ve come to realise that a partnership between centre-backs is also very important to the success of the club, and I’m not willing to break up this partnership just yet. However, there are several players who are willing to take Smith’s spot in the first eleven, so Smith cannot yet relax on his laurels.

José Manuel Lasa (25 y/o, ESP, D C): 52(11) apps, 4 assists, av. rating: 7.00: One of those players who wants to take Smith’s spot is this man, José Manuel Lasa. Lasa is a very competent central defender who has certainly performed adequately whenever I’ve thrown him into the fray. I’m sure he feels that his time must be coming soon, else he will begin to look elsewhere. It’s going to be difficult this season juggling the egos of the likes of Lasa and the other central defenders I have at my disposal.

Rob Lauret (25 y/o, NED, D C): 0(2) apps, av. rating: 6.50: Unfortunately for Rob, he has found it difficult adjusting to differences between the Netherlands and Spain since he came to the club a season ago. Therefore, Rob has struggled to make an impact here at Cartagonova. Nevertheless, that does not detract from the view I’ve formed that Rob can be a very good defender for this club, if he knuckles down and picks up some of the local culture. He still has time to adjust, but if he wants to snare a permanent position in the first eleven, he will have to get a move on, otherwise he’ll be overtaken by other players at my disposal.

Anthony Loughran (28 y/o, ENG, D C): 6(4) apps, av. rating: 6.60: One of those players is Anthony Loughran. The likeable Englishman performed adequately from limited opportunities last season, and is certainly in the frame for elevation to more regular appearances for Cartagonova as I look to rebuild my defence in the next couple of seasons. To his credit, Anthony has shown that he is willing to fight for his place in the team, which is an attitude I embrace and wish other players would also show.

Midfielders

Juan Antonio Rubio (22 y/o, ESP, D/DM C): 0 apps: I’m as yet undecided as to how best to classify Juan Antonio, ie. whether he is a defender or a midfielder. However, I think that after the departure of Ricardo Verón, and with only Andy Owen as back-up for Gary Mason, when Rubio does pull on the boots for a competitive game, he will do so as a midfielder. At 22 years of age, and with 146 games of experience for Granada, where he was one of their more important players, Rubio has a good blend of youthful vitality and experience at the nuances of this game. Of course, stepping up to the Primera Liga is a big leap for the man, but he looks to have a touch of class about him, and I’m confident that, if handled correctly, he will prove to be a very good player for Cartagonova over the next few seasons.

Gary Mason (30 y/o, SCO 7 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 50(2) apps, 16 goals, 12 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.65: It’s difficult to believe that Gary has only been with us for about two seasons, and for most of the first season, he needed to compete with Gavião for the position of central midfielder in my formation. However, over the course of the last season, I’ve come to the view that Mason is at least equal to, if not slightly better than Gavião. He certainly has an eye for goal, like Gavião, and 15 goals from central midfield in the space of a season is testament to his attacking nature. Yet, Mason does a good job of shielding the defence from the opposition when the moment calls for such measures. He is a definitely excellent player and I’m looking forward to seeing more from him this season.

Andy Owen (25 y/o, WAL 37 caps, 10 goals, DM/S C): 8(12) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.65: Gary’s current understudy, Andy showed signs that he was coming to grips with the pressures of playing for the champion club in one of the toughest leagues in Europe. He needs to continue his development in order to be in a position to supplant Mason in the next few seasons, lest he be supplanted himself by Rubio, who is keen to make an impression. Like Cabrera, this season could represent a turning point for Owen.

George Clegg (29 y/o, ENG 2 caps, AM/F RC): 229(26) apps, 73 goals, 55 assists, 18 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38: Clegg has nothing left to prove to him. I know how good he is. It’s a pity that successive English managers have not recognised the latent talent in this player, but that’s alright, he has plenty of club successes to keep him company after his career is finished. I, of course, hope that the current English manager will see the light and finally make him a regular in England’s first eleven, but in the meantime, Clegg will go on and do brilliantly for Cartagonova this season as he has over the last six he has played for us.

Jaime Garrido (26 y/o, ESP 31 caps, 14 goals, AM/F RLC): 139(18) apps, 32 goals, 39 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.51: I felt sorry for Jaime after the World Cup was concluded. He had done a lot of the hard work in getting Spain into the final, only to suffer an injury in the semi-final and was forced out of the final. He had the bitter experience of sitting in the stands, watching his rival for the right-wing spot, Francisco Javier Zubizarreta, dazzle on the biggest stage. Let’s hope he uses that as a spur to produce a season in 2010/11 like he did in 2009/10, which was by far his best season for Cartagonova since joining from Real Betis for a then-record £7 million.

Enrique Kortina (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F RLC): 10(8) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.06: It’s still only early in his career, but already the wolves are surrounding the club, trying to prise him away from my grasp. Unfortunately, Kortina has let the fame and glory go to his head somewhat, and he’s annoyed that I haven’t let him go. But then, once you’re at a club like Cartagonova, where we win something every season, why would you want to go anywhere else? However, Enrique is a determined young man and he’s not happy that I seem to be blocking the advancement of his own career. Well, an attitude like that will not help him around me.

Zlatan Muslimovic (29 y/o, BOS 59 caps, 29 goals, AM/F RC): 37(8) apps, 7 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09: One player Kortina would do well to emulate is the Bosnian international Zlatan Muslimovic. He knows that he is not likely to pick up a position in the starting eleven when both Garrido and Clegg are fit, yet he keeps his head down, works hard on the track and always keeps himself in my mind, so when I need to replace either or both of the aforementioned Garrido and Clegg, Muslimovic has been one name that immediately comes to mind. Muslimovic is a consummate professional, never complaining, always getting on with the job. To be sure, he isn’t as talented as some of the other players at the club, but he is a pleasure to work with.

Ramón Salas (25 y/o, ESP, AM RL): 11(5) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.46: Only 16 total appearances since joining the club back in 2005/06 shows how lost this man has become. To be quite honest, I don’t know what’s gone wrong with Ramón, and since I don’t know that, I don’t know how to fix it. He’s on the transfer list, but he has attracted no interest. I fear that once his contract expires, he’ll drift into anonymity. He is a reminder that for every Garrido, Clegg and Notman, there are thousands of players who never quite make the next step, so those that do, should be thankful they have the opportunity to earn thousands of pounds a week to kick a ball around a grassy pitch.

Mark Williams (28 y/o, ENG 8 caps, AM R): 0 apps: I’m excited about Mark. His performances in the pre-season friendlies indicate to me that he has a very bright future ahead of him here at Cartagonova, and it’s going to be difficult to fit both Mark and Jaime into my plans at the same time. Mark is a very different player from Jaime, in that he is a more traditional winger rather than a playmaker such as Jaime. Mark is very capable of getting forward and whipping in crosses. Given that both Notman and Scheweleff are powerful in the air, this suits them right down to the ground, and Mark has been a very effective outlet for our attacking moves in the pre-season friendlies. He will have further opportunity to impress me as the season wears on, I suspect.

Bojan Djordjic (28 y/o, SWE 21 caps, 2 goals, AM LC): 65(7) apps, 8 goals, 12 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.16: Bojan has been here three seasons now (about to begin his fourth), yet he has not quite cracked it as the first-choice left winger for mine. There’s something about his play which holds me back from making that call, and with José Antonio Reyes in the squad, it will be even more difficult to see Bojan as the first man on the left when I write up the teamsheet each week. It’s strange, because Bojan is certainly a very good player. I’ll see if I can put my finger on it in this coming season.

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 17 caps, 1 goal, AM/F L): 27 apps, 2 goals, 9 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.26: When I previewed my World Cup squad, I said that José is the type of player who will electrify proceedings, or be so anonymous as to have been left back in the changing rooms so you’re playing with only ten men. Reyes had a good World Cup, playing every game, contributing some times more than at other times.

Juan Hernández (25 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, AM/F C): 63(39) apps, 37 goals, 17 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32: This time last year I was questioning the future of Juan Hernández in this squad. To his credit, Juan turned his career around with a great season, scoring 16 goals in 21(8) appearances. His season was so good that I couldn’t leave him out of the squad for the World Cup. When he appeared on the biggest stage of all, he gave his all and looked to be a very good player. He might not have the same degree of class as some of his teammates, but Juan is still a very good player who now has a future at this club.

Forwards

Alex Notman (30 y/o, SCO 34 caps, 19 goals, AM/F C): 226(7) apps, 155 goals, 68 assists, 60 MoMs, av. rating: 8.15: Notman is quite possibly the best player in Spain, and Europe. He is certainly the best player in my squad. The statistics tell a story - in his four full seasons at the club he has not scored less than 34 goals in all competitions. He is forging for himself legendary status in this club, and I’m confident that even though he has now hit 30 years of age, he will still hit the ground running this season and bag for himself plenty of goals.

Henri Scheweleff (27 y/o, FIN 36 caps, 22 goals, AM/F C): 0 apps: Henri becomes the most expensive player to join Cartagonova, as I spent £15 million on the Finnish international, with the prospect of transferring more money to his former club, Atlético Mineiro, in the near future. Scheweleff had a very successful spell with the Brazilian club, but he does remain untested in a big European league. However, his form during the pre-season friendlies has convinced me, not that I needed it much, that he has the potential to become just as good a player for this club as Notman and Redondo have been.

Manuel Vega (17 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 0 apps: A recent graduate from the youth academy, Manuel is still a very raw player. He needs to improve quickly with a lot of hard, intense training to build up his skills before I consider him ready to sign a professional contract with Cartagonova.

Alessandro da Silva Marques (22 y/o, BRA, F LC): 0 apps: Like Scheweleff, I’m excited about the prospects of the Brazilian. I had Moedim Júnior speak to Alessandro before he moved from his club, Juventude, to whom he is still contracted, and Moedim Júnior painted a very exciting picture of life here at Cartagonova. In the same way, from what I’ve seen of Alessandro, I’m very excited about him. He has pace, vision, and shooting ability, plus stamina and strength. He is strong in the air and has the ability to excite the crowd and the players around him. I’m confident that I will soon sign him permanently.

Godwin Attram (30 y/o, GHA 30 caps, 10 goals, S C): 0 apps: I’ve admired Godwin from a distance for a while, but until this season, he was not willing to switch from Italian football to Spanish football. Now that he has, he will need to compete with plenty of other strikers to land a spot in my preferred first eleven, and I’m not sure whether he is quite up to it. There is no doubt that he has plenty of ability, but I think he will be restricted to coming off the bench.

Jose Marío Moedim Júnior (22 y/o, BRA 4 caps, S C) 10(2) apps, 9 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.75: After enjoying his presence for half a season on loan from Villarreal, I was desperate to land him. Fortunately, Villarreal were willing to come to the table and deal over the Brazilian striker, and I was able to sign him on a permanent deal towards the end of the last season. Only 22 years of age, I’m sure that Jose will improve with time, with a commensurate improvement in those already impressive statistics. He is well placed to take over in the next few seasons from the Redondo/Notman and/or Scheweleff/Notman partnerships.

José Manuel Redondo (34 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C): 362(12) apps, 204 goals, 95 assists, 55 MoMs, av. rating: 7.78: It’s hard to believe that I signed José Manuel Redondo all the way back in 2002/03 when I signed him on a Bosman free transfer. He has been an incredible servant to the club, and has reaped the rewards of his loyalty. His partnerships with Stan Collymore and Alex Notman, in particular, have been very rewarding for the club and its fans. Even last season, at the ripe old age of 33, Redondo still managed 23 goals from 46(1) appearances, and set up a further 14 goals. With the influx of new players, including new strikers such as Scheweleff, his contribution will lessen this season. Nevertheless, it’s been a fantastic career.

Cherno Samba (24 y/o, ENG, S C): 12(14) apps, 7 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19: Samba’s career with Cartagonova, and indeed, his overall football career, has stuttered. It’s time for Cherno to step up and show his true worth to this club. I’ve turned down inquiries about the English striker, because I believe that he has the ability to really do something at this club. It’s time for him to show that ability.

Dixie Flatline, signing off... icon_wink.gif

As long as you don't sign off permanently icon_smile.gif While I lost track of the story a few months ago, I think it is now THE longest story in terms of days running and number of pages (?) in CMS history. Don't know if you noticed at least a couple of long-term stories went missing from the forum (and weren't backed up) recently, but this one's certainly worth posting a specific warning in: please keep a full backup yourself mate, just in case something goes wrong. icon_redface.gif

Keep smiling icon_wink.gif

(And may 2005 be the year of the Jacques Attack icon_cool.gif )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Raptor, trying not to sign off permanently, and so far succeeding, though my visits to this forum are few and far between now! icon_smile.gif

I have the original MS Word files on my computer, but I don't have all the pages as they appear on this forum, so I'll try to back them up as soon as possible.

Hopefully, JV will put in a very good performance at Suzuka this coming weekend, and hopefully Sauber will have a good car for him next season. We can only hope! icon_biggrin.gif

EllG, you keep appearing at the unlikeliest times! It's good to see you still following the story. icon_wink.gif

Pred, thank you, I'll keep on trying! icon_biggrin.gif

Back to the Future, for a moment or two!

Now it’s time to take a look at all twenty clubs playing this season in the Primera Liga. We begin with Alavés, who have been busy on the transfer market during the off-season. In particular, Alavés has strengthened its strike force, signing veteran striker Alberto Luque, Alexander Alm, and Jesus Mendoza on Bosman free transfers. However, the defence has not been neglected, with Alavés spending £5 million with further fees payable dependent on appearances for ex-Cartagonova utility defender Per Vener Rønning. Alavés’ manager, Señor Fernando Vázquez, was excited by bringing Rønning to the club, saying that the Norwegian international will bring experience and strength. Former Portuguese international centre-half Fernando Meira joins Alavés on a Bosman free transfer from Vitória Guimarães, and defensive midfielder Nicolas Ramirez also joins from Valencia on a Bosman free transfer. Alavés also has been busy letting players go, with several players leaving on free transfers, while several sales have been made to prune the ranks. However, Alavés probably does not have the wherewithal to properly challenge for a place in the European ranks, and it is more than likely that a repeat of a twelfth-placed finish in the Primera Liga last season will occur again at the end of this season.

Bottom Line: Alavés has assembled a competent squad, with plenty of experience, but it lacks a touch of class that would propel the club into the top half of the table. Look to Alavés to finish comfortably mid-table.

Players In

Alberto Luque (32 y/o, ESP, S C) from Bayer Leverkusen on Bosman free transfer;

Givanildo (28 y/o, BRA, D C) from Tenerife for £1.7 million;

Alexander Alm (28 y/o, SWE, S C) from Getafe on Bosman free transfer;

Jesus Mendoza (30 y/o, MEX 50 caps, 18 goals, F RLC) from Wolfsburg on Bosman free transfer;

Fernando Meira (32 y/o, POR 2 caps, D/DM C) from Vitória Guimarães on Bosman free transfer;

Nicolas Ramirez (34 y/o, MEX 67 caps, 8 goals, DM LC) from Valencia on Bosman free transfer;

Per Vener Rønning (27 y/o, NOR 26 caps, 4 goals, D/DM/F LC) from Cartagonova for £5 million;

Miguel Aleixo (29 y/o, POR, GK) from Las Palmas for £275,000

Players Out

Iñaki Descarga (33 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Mallorca on Bosman free transfer;

Epitié (33 y/o, NIG 15 caps, 8 goals, AM/F RC) to Real Betis for £1 million;

Christoffer Nyquist (27 y/o, SWE, M RL) to Valencia for £1.9 million;

Ismael Ruiz (33 y/o, ESP, DM C) to Córdoba on Bosman free transfer;

Ariel de la Fuente (33 y/o, ARG, GK) to Ourense for £1.5 million;

Jorge Menéndez (20 y/o, ESP, D L) released on free transfer;

José Manuel Roca (34 y/o, ESP, GK) to Almagro on Bosman free transfer;

Jerzy Dudek (37 y/o, POL 61 caps, GK) released on free transfer;

David Charles Pérez (32 y/o, ARG, DL) released on free transfer;

Iván Pérez (34 y/o, ESP, S C) released on free transfer;

Vassilis Lakis (33 y/o, GRE 18 caps, 1 goal, DM RC) released on free transfer

Finishing second in the Segunda Liga at the first time of asking was sufficient to secure for Athletic Bilbao a quick return to the Primera Liga after a season in the lower division. The club’s policy of only signing Basque players, however, has limited the options of the manager, Señor Vicente del Bosque, in strengthening the club’s stocks for the forthcoming season. Therefore, much will again rely upon the aging shoulders of former Spanish international Joseba Etxeberría and striker Felipe to provide the bulk of the inspiration to a squad that seems light-on for talent. Youth product Iker Antón looks a likely prospect, capable of playing both at centre-half and as a striker, but lacks experience at this level. All in all, Athletic Bilbao will struggle to remain in the Primera Liga at the end of this season.

Bottom Line: It’s a credit to Athletic Bilbao that they have managed to return to the Primera Liga after spending a season in the Segunda Liga, but the squad looks so light-on for talent, it’s difficult to go past the Basque club as a prime candidate for relegation. A lot - too much, in fact - rests on Etxeberría to spark the club and fight the relegation spectre.

Players In

Imanol Etxeberría (37 y/o, ESP, GK) from Córdoba for £100,000;

José Manuel Mateo (35 y/o, ESP, D C) from Real Oviedo on a Bosman free transfer

Players Out

Gorka (32 y/o, ESP, D R) to Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer;

Ismael (32 y/o, ESP, AM/F RL) released on a free transfer;

Santiago Ezquerro (33 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F RL) released on a free transfer

Last season was a good season for Atlético Madrid, finishing third in the Liga, and above their arch-rival Real Madrid. Having defeated Helsingborg 3-1 in the first leg of the Champions’ League qualifier at home, the club has a better-than-even chance of moving through into the group stage. The club has been busy on the transfer market, landing left-winger Martín Burgos from Real Vallodolid for £8.5 million in its biggest move on the transfer market. However, Atlético Madrid’s most important player is Guinea-Bissau striker, Sene Djaló, who scored 28 goals in 39 appearances in all competitions last season. He is the main key for Atlético Madrid’s success in the coming season. Portuguese international attacking midfielder Hugo Leal will hope to provide the bulk of the ammunition for Djaló to score the goals, while Uruguayan international Diego Díaz will anchor the midfield and screen the defence, featuring the likes of David Di Tommaso, Romerito and veteran Willy Sagnol. Atlético Madrid has quietly assembled a competent squad with sufficient quality studded through to look towards again qualifying for Europe that season, but perhaps another top three performance might be beyond, unless Sene Djaló can reproduce the same type of form that made him such a dangerous striker last season.

Bottom Line: Sene Djaló is the key to Atlético Madrid’s chances this season. If he is primed and ready for a big goal haul, the chances are that Atlético Madrid will stake a claim for a place in Europe’s cup competitions next season. Whether it’s the European Champions' League or the UEFA Cup depends on what level of support he receives from the likes of Hugo Leal and the like.

Players In

Jordi Ferrón (32 y/o, ESP 10 caps, 1 goal, D RL) from Real Zaragoza on a Bosman free transfer;

Rubén (29 y/o, ESP, AM C) from Deportivo La Coruña on a Bosman free transfer;

Guti (33 y/o, ESP 2 caps, AM C) from Real Zaragoza on a Bosman free transfer;

Francisco Valdés (19 y/o, ESP, D R) from Polideportivo Almería for £50,000;

Sergio Conceição (35 y/o, POR 83 caps, 8 goals, AM R) on a free transfer;

Esteban Cambiasso (30 y/o, ARG 5 caps, 1 goal, DM LC) from Roma for £3.6 million;

David Mazure (25 y/o, FRA 7 caps, 6 goals, S C) from Nantes for £1.4 million;

Martín Burgos (26 y/o, ESP, AM/F L) from Real Vallodolid for £8.5 million

Players Out

Raúl Valbuena (35 y/o, ESP, GK) to Getafe on a Bosman free transfer;

Josep María Pagés (34 y/o, ESP, M L) to Novelda on a Bosman free transfer;

Amara Kailie (27 y/o, SLE 28 caps, 5 goals, AM L) to Valencia for £1.7 million;

Francisco Javier Olmo (25 y/o, ESP, D/M RL) to Cartagonova for £1.7 million;

Jaume Soler (18 y/o, ESP, S C) to Villarreal for £1.8 million;

Javier Calleja (32 y/o, ESP, S C) to Recreativo on a Bosman free transfer;

Branko Boskovic (30 y/o, YUG 31 caps, 3 goals, AM RLC) to Sporting Gjión for £1.6 million;

Enrique Mora (22 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Real Zaragoza for £425,000;

Giuliano Giannichedda (35 y/o, ITA 13 caps, 1 goal, DM C) released on a free transfer;

Ronald Gomez (35 y/o, CRC 47 caps, 33 goals, S C) released on a free transfer;

David Charcos (35 y/o, ESP 1 cap, SW/D C) released on a free transfer;

Gaizka Garitano (35 y/o, ESP, D/DM C) released on a free transfer;

Stefano Fiore (35 y/o, ITA 52 caps, 10 goals, AM C) to Real Zaragoza on a Bosman free transfer

Since 2005/06, when Barcelona last won the Primera Liga, they have been forced to watch Cartagonova capture four straight championships, and in three of those four years, they have been runners-up to Señor Dixie Flatline’s club. To make things worse, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer has only captured the Copa del Rey, ironically by beating Cartagonova to deny the latter the treble last season. For a club with such rich history as Barcelona, this really isn’t good enough. However, the club has not really added much in terms of player strength to its ranks in the off-season, while pruning many of its veteran players from the list. Yet, in Diego and Juan Carlos Falcón, Barcelona have signed two talented and experienced players who add versatility to the playing list. However, Barcelona also lost significant talent and experience, particularly in the release of Juan Sebastián Verón, released on a free transfer, and Cristian Bardaro, who left for Roma on a Bosman free transfer. Therefore, it must be questionable whether Barcelona has done enough to climb that extra place on the league ladder to reclaim the Primera Liga crown. However, they will remain one of the teams to beat, and if another club manages to finish above Barcelona, then the odds are that club will be the champion.

Bottom Line: Barcelona has been a measuring stick for many other clubs in the Primera Liga over the last few years, and it’s difficult to go past the Catalans club again. But the departure of several experienced strikers and attacking midfielders in the summer with seemingly little done to replace them puts a question mark over the strength in front of goals. As always, goals wins you matches and championships - without a easily recognised partner for Emanuele Calaiò, Barcelona may find it difficult to land the knock-out blow.

Players In

Jesús García Cortés (24 y/o, ESP, AM/F R) from Cesena on a Bosman free transfer;

Diego (31 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 4 goals, M/S C) from Racing Santander on a Bosman free transfer;

Juan Carlos Falcón (30 y/o, ARG 35 caps, 5 goals, M RLC) from Real Sociedad for £12.25 million

Players Out

Fernando Varela (30 y/o, ESP, M R) to Numancia on a Bosman free transfer;

Ismael Burgos (23 y/o, ESP, D LC) to Burgos for £375,000;

Damián Manso (31 y/o, ARG 3 caps, 2 goals, AM C) to Roma for £3.6 million;

Juan Sebastián Verón (35 y/o, ARG 106 caps, 33 goals, AM RLC) released on a free transfer;

Fernando García Fernández (21 y/o, ESP, M LC) released on a free transfer;

Sergio (33 y/o, ESP, GK) released on a free transfer;

Cristian Bardaro (33 y/o, ARG 45 caps, 25 goals, F RLC) to Roma on a Bosman free transfer;

Juan Sara (30 y/o, ARG, S C) to Real Betis for £1.3 million

After finishing fifth in 2008/09, finishing tenth last season is probably not acceptable for a club as big as Real Betis. Interestingly, however, Real Betis scored and conceded exactly the same number of goals in 2008/09 as they did in 2009/10, which tends to indicate that the rest of the competition passed Real Betis by. To that end, the club has spent money strengthening their list in certain key areas with a new goalkeeper in Davide Bagnacani from Cartagonova, and new strikers in Fernando Cavenaghi from 1860 München and Juan Sara from Barcelona. However, there is already unrest in the ranks with key defender Matthew Altena unsettled with the manager, Señor Francisco Herrera, and reportedly attracting the interest of Cartagonova, amongst others. Although tenth was disappointing and below expectations, moving into a position to challenge the top three clubs in Spain may be slightly beyond Real Betis this season, but a place in Europe is certainly expected.

Bottom Line: Although Real Betis has been busy in the summer, there is still a sense of slight mediocrity pervading the squad, and the lack of a real star player, combined with unrest in the defence, means that Real Betis may struggle to reach the top five or six in the league.

Players In

Epitié (33 y/o, NIG 15 caps, 8 goals, AM/F RC) from Alavés for £1 million;

Ãngel Morales (35 y/o, ESP 11 caps, DM C) from Espanyol on a Bosman free transfer;

Barasz Molnar (32 y/o, HUN 54 caps, DM C) from Numancia on a Bosman free transfer;

Davide Bagnacani (30 y/o, ITA, GK) from Cartagonova for £4.2 million;

Rafael Rúa (24 y/o, ESP, AM C) from Elche for £2.9 million;

Fernando Cavenaghi (26 y/o, ARG 8 caps, 2 goals, S C) from 1860 München for £8.5 million;

Juan Sara (30 y/o, ESP, S C) from Barcelona for £1.3 million

Players Out

Hugo Castaño (23 y/o, ESP, M RLC) to Xerez for £300,000;

Diego Benítez (22 y/o, ESP, DM RC) to Badajoz on a Bosman free transfer;

Pablo Islas (31 y/o, ARG, S C) to Valencia for £9.75 million;

Jesús Ros (21 y/o, ESP, GK) to Cultural for £200,000;

Enrique Medina (35 y/o, ESP, D C) to Málaga on a Bosman free transfer;

Iván de la Peña (34 y/o, ESP 36 caps, 6 goals, AM C) released on a free transfer;

Jerome Foggarty (34 y/o, LIB 8 caps, 1 goal, S C) released on a free transfer;

Mario (30 y/o, ESP, AM L) to Hércules for £675,000;

Juan Carlos Soler (22 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Binéfar on loan;

José Antonio Higuera (20 y/o, ESP, D/DM L) to Leganés on loan

Cartagonova may have won four straight Primera Liga championships and also added a European Champions' League winners’ trophy to the trophy cabinet last season, but for Señor Dixie Flatline, the off-season was very busy. Not only did he lead Spain to World Cup glory, but he also presided upon, from a distance, Cartagonova’s biggest spending spree as he looks to shore up the playing list for another assault on the title in order to equal Real Madrid’s record of five straight championships achieved between 1961-65 and 1986-90. Indeed, in terms of the sheer number of new players coming through the doors of the club in the off-season, one could view this as a season of transition, particularly with players such as José Manuel Redondo reaching the twilight of their careers. However, Cartagonova has not sat back and let other clubs make the running, with the club spending a club-record £15 million on Finnish international forward Henri Scheweleff, who has already drawn favourable comparisons to Scottish goal-machine Alex Notman. However, not only will the forward-line look different, with other players such as Brazilian duo José Mário Moedim Júnior and Alessandro da Silva Marques strengthening the attack, but new defenders Francisco Javier Olmo and Mariano Carmona have been bought to flesh out the ranks of the defenders, and Mark Williams provides a completely different option to Jaime Garrido on the right flank. Further, if the rumours are to be believed, Cartagonova will again splash the clash in the winter transfer period, with players such as Boca Juniors’ defensive midfielder Sergio San Martín, Coventry’s Daniel Dahl and Real Betis’ Matthew Altena on the hit-list for Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline. However, the risk is obviously that trying to integrate so many new players into the team will upset the delicate team balance cultivated over the last few seasons and leave Cartagonova vulnerable to being trumped over the course of the season. Only time will tell, but Cartagonova certainly, on paper, has a very strong squad capable of taking on any club in La Liga.

Bottom Line: Cartagonova has wielded the cheque book and brought in some big names; but history tells us that it is difficult to fully integrate a large influx of players into a squad and expect success simultaneously. Further, no really identifiable competition and support for Mason in midfield is a vulnerability waiting to be exploited. But Cartagonova should not be discounted.

Players In

Juan Antonio Rubio (22 y/o, ESP, D/DM C) from Granada on a Bosman free transfer;

José Mário Moedim Júnior (22 y/o, BRA, S C) from Villarreal for £3.6 million, player exchange;

Francisco Javier Olmo (25 y/o, ESP, D/M RL) from Atlético Madrid for £1.7 million;

Jean-François Gillet (32 y/o, BEL 29 caps, GK) from Gençlerbiligi for £1.1 million;

Francisco Robles (20 y/o, ESP, D/M RL) on a free transfer;

Mariano Carmona (21 y/o, ESP, D RC) from Verona for £7 million;

Godwin Attram (30 y/o, GHA 30 caps, 10 goals, S C) from Cesena for £1.4 million;

Mark Williams (28 y/o, ENG 8 caps, AM R) from West Ham United for £5.75 million;

Henri Scheweleff (27 y/o, FIN 36 caps, 22 goals, AM/F C) from Atlético Mineiro for £15 million;

Alessandro da Silva Marques (22 y/o, BRA, F LC) on loan from Juventude

Players Out

Sabino (32 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 4 goals, S C) to Espanyol for £7 million;

Ola Otfors-Palmqvist (29 y/o, SWE, AM/F LC) to Villarreal on player exchange;

José María Lacruz (32 y/o, ESP, D RL) to Real Vallodolid on a Bosman free transfer;

Davide Bagnacani (30 y/o, ITA, GK) to Real Betis for £4.2 million;

Elias Krantz (28 y/o, SWE, AM RC) to Ourense for £3.9 million;

Per Vener Rønning (27 y/o, NOR 26 caps, 4 goals, D/DM/F LC) to Alavés for £5 million;

Ricardo Verón (29 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C) to Deportivo La Coruña

Celta Vigo kept itself in the top flight by the skin on its metaphorical fingernails. Last season was an absolute disaster for the club, narrowly avoiding relegation and suffering both on and off the field. Señor Carlos Tornadijo is charged with reversing the club’s fortunes and turning it back into a club that regularly finished in the top four or five of the league. The club has been busy acquiring new players, but spending its money cautiously, as only £2.2 million has been spent on strengthening the squad, while several players have been cut to make way. John Hove is a 22 year old Danish winger purchased from Villarreal for £1.6 million, and he was at one time a target for Cartagonova, while Mario Márquez, a £575,000 acquisition from Gimnástica will look to impress on the right side of midfield. Gaizka Mendieta, already a veteran, knows this is likely his last chance to play at the top flight level, and his experience and expertise will be heavily drawn upon by the club’s managerial hierarchy as they look to correct the alarming slide from last season. Carlos Marchena will also be a vital cog - the World Cup winner, now with 36 international caps under his belt - and will be charged with holding the fragile defence together in the coming season. Diego Ribera and Nano made the most of their limited opportunities last season, and they will look to build their partnership in the coming season. It will not be easy for Celta Vigo, but the club will look to finish in mid-table in a season of consolidation.

Bottom Line: The club has too many quality players to be sucked into a relegation dogfight for the second season running, but last season demonstrated that if the club is not 100% focussed on the task at hand, then the season will become a struggle. A lower mid-table finish is expected; anything higher after last season will be a bonus.

Players In

Sergio Melgarejo (34 y/o, ESP, S C) from Segoviana on a Bosman free transfer;

Mario Márquez (22 y/o, ESP, M R) from Gimnástica Torrelavega for £575,000;

John Hove (22 y/o, DEN, AM L) from Villarreal for £1.6 million

Players Out

José Manuel Ortega (20 y/o, ESP, D/DM C) to Izarra on a Bosman free transfer;

Rafael García Suárez (21 y/o, ESP, D C) to Ourense on a Bosman free transfer;

Jorge Pérez (34 y/o, ESP 30 caps, 4 goals, AM LC) to Sevilla on a Bosman free transfer;

Fernando Palacios (21 y/o, ESP, D LC) to Mensajero on a Bosman free transfer;

David Zabala (20 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Ourense on a Bosman free transfer;

Eduardo Tuzzio (36 y/o, ARG 20 caps, SW/D RC) released on a free transfer;

Juan Pablo Sorín (34 y/o, ARG 45 caps, 7 goals, D/M L) released on a free transfer;

Marcelo Gallardo (34 y/o, ARG 30 caps, 10 goals, AM RLC) released on a free transfer

Finishing sixteenth in the Primera Liga was probably all that the hierarchy at Compostela expected in their first season in the top flight for more than a decade. But having survived the difficult first hurdle of remaining in the top flight after promotion, Compostela will expect to consolidate and move further up the table in the new season. However, with finances tight at the club, the manager has been forced to look for bargains in the transfer market to strengthen the squad. Yet the capture of veteran Colombian international midfielder Jorge Bolaño on a Bosman free transfer from Verona may yet prove an astute move, given his form in the recently concluded World Cup. Slovakian international attacking midfielder Michael Godvalt will be required to score goals from midfield, and plenty of them, with his prowess at the set-piece a vital cog in the tactics to be adopted by Compostela. The forthcoming season may prove to be difficult for the club, and there’s certainly no guarantee that the influx of new players will be the catalyst for an easier time in La Liga than what they received last time out. Compostela needs a good start to avoid a relegation fight at the end of the season, but the chances are, they will be in the mix at the end of the season.

Bottom Line: A season fighting the odds will do the club the world of good, because they now know what to expect in a tough season. Several players look to have an extra touch of class that might make the world of difference, but the club will need to fight every step of the way. This is a club that will finish in the bottom end of the table, but whether it’s the bottom three, only time will tell.

Players In

Michael Godvalt (29 y/o, SVK 62 caps, 10 goals, AM C) from Bradford on a Bosman free transfer;

Germán Rivarola (31 y/o, ARG, D/M L) from Sporting Gijón on a Bosman free transfer;

Alberto Bornes (22 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) from Toledo for £300,000;

Jorge Bolaño (33 y/o, COL 119 caps, 13 goals, M C) from Verona on a Bosman free transfer;

Ioan Barbu (29 y/o, ROM 1 cap, SW/D C) from Pájara Playas for £525,000;

Iker Serrano (21 y/o, ESP, DM RC) from Chelsea on a Bosman free transfer

Players Out

Evanílson (34 y/o, BRA 60 caps, 1 goal, D/DM R) to Braga on a Bosman free transfer;

Iván Campo (36 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D C) released on a free transfer;

Diego Navarro (27 y/o, ESP, D L) to Sabadell for £400,000;

Yiyi (33 y/o, ESP, GK) to Las Palmas on a Bosman free transfer;

Ricardinho (34 y/o, BRA 2 caps, DM LC) released on a free transfer;

Ismael (35 y/o, ESP, S C) released on a free transfer

Deportivo La Coruña finished a disappointing ninth last season, and the club has been very busy in the off-season strengthening the playing squad. An influx of players, particularly in the striker department, has increased morale around the club and now they are looking forward to the new season. The influence of Spanish international Iván Amaya, who missed out on the World Cup final due to injury, will be important in holding together the defence next season, but he will be supported by experienced squad players, Boris, Claudio Páez, and Joan Capdevila. Midfield has also been strengthened, with Pontus Farnerud leaving Monaco on a free transfer, and Ricardo Verón joins after a season with Cartagonova.

Bottom Line: Deportivo have done well in the transfer market in the off-season and should be looking to improve upon their ninth finish last season. Moving into the European Champions' League positions this season may be too much to ask for Deportivo, but top five or top six should be the aim.

Players In

Moisés (32 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D LC) from Tenerife on a Bosman free transfer;

Raúl Román (20 y/o, ESP, S C) from Villarreal for £900,000;

Pontus Farnerud (30 y/o, SWE 10 caps, D/AM RC) from Monaco on a Bosman free transfer;

Iñaki Muñoz (23 y/o, ESP, M RL) from Hércules for £1.3 million;

Bostjan Markoski (30 y/o, MKD 39 caps, 8 goals, S C) from Vardar on a Bosman free transfer;

Samuel Sunday (29 y/o, NIG 8 caps, GK) from Numancia for £1 million;

Rodolfo Arruabarrena (35 y/o, ARG 5 caps, D L) from Hércules on a Bosman free transfer

Luis López (35 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) from Extremadura on a Bosman free transfer;

Ricardo Verón (29 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C) from Cartagonova for £2.5 million

Players Out

Rubén (29 y/o, ESP, AM C) to Atlético Madrid on a Bosman free transfer;

David Oliva (24 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D RL) to Valencia for £10.5 million;

Cristian Matei (34 y/o, ROM 22 caps, D R) to Albacete on a Bosman free transfer;

Ignacio Morán (23 y/o, ESP 5 caps, F LC) to Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer;

Luis Castro (27 y/o, ARG, GK) to Real Madrid for £600,000;

Rodolfo Arruabarrena (35 y/o, ARG 5 caps, D L) released on a free transfer;

Guilherme (36 y/o, BRA 2 caps, S C) released on a free transfer

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• 1 month later...

Sorry again for my disappearance from this story over the last month and a bit!

... I went and got married! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif We celebrate our first month anniversary tomorrow!

But amongst the joys of married life, work and study, I've managed to find some time to continue this epic odyssey, which I share with you now...

Continuing with the previews of the clubs...

Since promotion from the Segunda Liga back in 2001/02, Elche has performed steadily in the Primera Liga, though last season’s 15th place was a little disappointing for the small club. But after Señor José Manuel Gutiérrez was poached by Real Madrid, Elche quickly hired Señor Paco Fortes, who has plenty of experience of life as a manager in the Primera Liga, most recently with Espanyol. The new manager wasted no time looking for bargains, and Elche quickly added players to its squad, with emphasis mainly on youth and midfield. This has reduced the average of the squad, helped by the release, either on frees or by Bosman transfers, of several older players. But there is certainly enough experience remaining in the Elche squad to ensure that the transition to the new generation can be handled smoothly enough. Yet, again, there must be some question mark over the quality in the squad. Only Oscar Mascorro commands a regular spot in the international squad, and the 30 year old Mexican looks unsettled at the club, knowing that his time to gain some personal glory is quickly coming to an end. There are plenty of competent players, but in the Primera Liga, competent players only gain you a lower mid-table finish. Elche will look to improve on 15th but much higher than tenth would be a bonus for the club.

Bottom Line: Elche has become adept at surviving in the Primera Liga without prospering. Señor Paco Fortes may offer the club more ideas both tactically, in terms of the match, and strategically in terms of the club’s future playing direction, but he is hindered by poor training facilities and a lack of quality in the squad. Do not expect much from Elche this season.

Players In

Ãñigo Gil (18 y/o, ESP, S C) from Ferrol on a Bosman free transfer;

Julio Marchant (30 y/o, ARG 3 caps, M R) from Strasbourg for £1.9 million;

Rubén Molina (20 y/o, ESP, DM RC) from Real Zaragoza for £700,000;

César Arias (18 y/o, ESP, AM RC) from Chaves for £220,000;

Hernán Pagés (24 y/o, ARG 3 caps, D C) from Argentinos for £1.7 million;

Jonas Börjesson (26 y/o, SWE, M RLC) from Tenerife for £1.7 million;

Francisco José Reyes (21 y/o, ESP, D/DM C) from Rayo Vallecano for £1.8 million

Players Out

Juanmi (35 y/o, ESP, S C) released on a free transfer;

Laurentiu Rosu (33 y/o, ROM 53 caps, 4 goals, D/M L) to Brøndby on a Bosman free transfer;

Juanjo (33 y/o, ESP, AM RLC) to Real Oviedo on a Bosman free transfer;

Raúl Méndez (25 y/o, ESP, S C) to Albacete on a Bosman free transfer;

Martín Rivas (33 y/o, URU 84 caps, 1 goal, D C) released on a free transfer;

Jordi Corral (19 y/o, ESP, GK) to Racing Santander on a Bosman free transfer;

Rafael Rúa (24 y/o, ESP, AM C) to Real Betis for £2.9 million

Espanyol have long suffered in the shadows of their cross-town rival, Barcelona. Compared to the glittering trophy cabinets stuffed full of accolades that fill the corridors of the Nou Camp, Espanyol’s collection of three Copa del Rey trophies and a Segunda Liga champions trophy draws poor comparison. Yet, although the club’s fans might think otherwise, any comparison between the richly funded Barcelona and the more modestly supported Espanyol means that the club’s ambitions look not so much to the championship, but towards finishing in European places and to spread the club’s wings in continental competition. Further, Espanyol has efficiently compiled a squad capable of lifting the club to where its ambitions lay. Particularly, Francisco Javier Zubizarreta, Spain’s hero of the World Cup, calls Espanyol home, and so far has resisted the siren call of clubs such as Real Madrid, Barcelona and Cartagonova. At 25 years of age, Zubizarreta already has the world at his feet, and has fast become an idol in Barcelona. He will be ably supported in the coming season by veteran striker, Sabino, fresh from his second spell at Cartagonova. The 32 year old striker’s powers are beginning to dip, but he provides a powerful target man for the club’s midfielders to fasten upon and he will cause plenty of defences trouble in the coming season. Two midfielders who look forward to forming a partnership with Sabino are the Paraguayan international Nelson Cuevas, whose speed and acceleration down the right wing will be essential to unlocking defences, and the Brazilian international Thiago Motta, whose close control and eye for the defence-splitting pass are critical qualities. However, Espanyol’s defence will need to be heavily marshalled by Oscar Rodrigo, with the lack of quality in the squad perhaps most shining through there.

Bottom Line: Espanyol have quality in a competent squad, but a lack of depth may prove worrisome if the key players, such as Zubizarreta and Sabino are injured for any significant stretch of time. Without injuries, Espanyol should be looking at a place in the UEFA Cup next season; otherwise, mid-table could beckon.

Players In

Sabino (32 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 4 goals, S C) from Cartagonova for £7 million;

Víctor Alonso (27 y/o, ESP, GK) from Éjica for £525,000;

Gustavo Correa (30 y/o, URU 24 caps, 1 goal, D C) from Numancia for £1.4 million;

Luis Miguel Lobo (30 y/o, POR 1 cap, S C) from Tenerife on a Bosman free transfer;

Kim Pedersen (27 y/o, SWE, D/DM R) from Toledo for £475,000

Players Out

Ãngel Morales (35 y/o, ESP 11 caps, DM C) to Real Betis on a Bosman free transfer;

Luis García (32 y/o, ESP, AM/F LC) to Badajoz on a Bosman free transfer;

Jaime (33 y/o, ESP, AM LC) to Real Oviedo on a Bosman free transfer;

Liang Wang (31 y/o, CHN 13 caps, DM LC) to Sporting Gijón for £475,000;

Cristian Cejas (35 y/o, ARG, GK) to Real Mallorca on a Bosman free transfer;

Luis Iglesias (22 y/o, ESP, D/DM L) released on a free transfer;

Sergio (33 y/o, ESP, DM C) released on a free transfer.

Few people would have tipped Numancia to have risen to the dizzying heights of fourth in 2008/09, and less would have tipped the club to repeat the feat last season, but that is exactly what they did. Now, Numancia would love to take the next step and move into the top three, replicating the feat of Cartagonova from several seasons ago. In former Cartagonova striker, Ariel Carreño, the club has a striker capable of hitting twenty-plus goals per season, a useful asset to have when chasing success. Carlos Martins is a natural leader, as well as being a sublimely skilled midfielder, and he combined many times last season with Carreño to set up and score plenty of goals. Both their contributions will be vital again this season. Dan Anton Johansen is a powerful, commanding defender who will look each game to take charge of the penalty box and deny opposition strikers precious time and space. The club’s transfer policy during the summer was rather than attract another key player to bolster the club’s leading stocks, but rather sign players capable of slotting in when required, to plug gaps and to ensure there was some depth in the squad. The players Numancia attracted are not young, but their experience, at clubs such as Valencia, Deportivo la Coruña and Barcelona will be welcome as the club looks to take the next step.

Bottom Line: Although Numancia impressed everybody by finishing fourth twice in two seasons, there is strong line of thought that Numancia over-achieved and sooner rather than later, it will slide back down the ladder to a more realistic position. Again, the big unknown is the impact injuries might play. For example, Numancia is a much-weakened side without either Martins or Carreño, and they need to be playing week-in, week-out for Numancia to achieve its potential. Top three? Unlikely, but probably top six.

Players In

Denis Onichtenchenko (31 y/o, UKR 38 caps, 3 goals, M C) from Valencia on a Bosman free transfer;

Fernando Varela (30 y/o, ESP, M R) from Barcelona on a Bosman free transfer;

César Rubio (24 y/o, ESP, D/M C) from Córdoba on a Bosman free transfer;

José Manuel Guerrero (20 y/o, ESP, M C) from Córdoba for £425,000;

Donato Sánchez Cabellero (33 y/o, MEX 54 caps, 9 goals, AM LC) from Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer.

Players Out

Gustavo Correa (30 y/o, URU 24 caps, 1 goal, D C) to Espanyol for £1.4 million;

Samuel Sunday (29 y/o, NIG 8 caps, GK) to Deportivo La Coruña for £1 million;

Barasz Molnar (32 y/o, HUN 54 caps, DM C) to Real Betis on a Bosman free transfer;

Dani Torres (32 y/o, ESP, S C) to Real Zaragoza for £140,000;

Alfonso Ortiz (24 y/o, ESP, M/S C) to Burgos for £1.3 million;

Juan José Reyes (25 y/o, ESP, AM RC) to Burgos for £675,000;

José Manuel Izquierdo (22 y/o, ESP, AM/F RL) to Las Palmas on loan.

In 2009/10, Osasuna achieved its best finish to a season since 2003/04 when it finished thirteenth. Osasuna has quietly gone about its business, just doing enough to stay alive in the Primera Liga without ever making waves. With only a small ground and in the Basque region, the club struggles to attract the best quality players. It’s unlikely that in 2010/11, the situation will change. In Julio Navarro, Osasuna has a bright prospect in defence; the 19 year old looks assured under pressure, and capable of taking on the best strikers in Spain, while Fernando Herrero is fast maturing into a capable midfield general, with an extra weapon of setpieces at his own disposal. But, beyond these players, the quality in Osasuna’s squad looks woefully thin.

Bottom Line: Osasuna has managed to avoid relegation fights for a while, but it’s barely standing still when other clubs are advancing their own causes. It’s likely that Osasuna could find itself trapped in a dogfight towards the end of the season.

Players In

Ivan Rousel (31 y/o, BUL 60 caps, 6 goals, DM C) from Málaga for £575,000;

Pasquele Gozzi (27 y/o, ITA, AM/F R) from Inter Milan on a Bosman free transfer;

Konrad Brandt (31 y/o, AUT 24 caps, 1 goals, DM R) from Vicenza on a Bosman free transfer;

Darío Husaín (34 y/o, ARG, S C) from Porto on a Bosman free transfer;

Akyel Fatih (32 y/o, TUR 57 caps, D RC) on a free transfer.

Players Out

Pablo Trobbiani (33 y/o, ESP, M C) to Real Zaragoza for £85,000;

Jurandir (31 y/o, BRA, S C) to Tenerife on a Bosman free transfer;

Djibril Diawara (35 y/o, SEN 26 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC) to Málaga on a Bosman free transfer;

Clarence Acuña (35 y/o, CHI 96 caps, 11 goals, AM RC) to Ourense on a Bosman free transfer;

Vlado Schmidt (30 y/o, YUG, AM LC) to Motril for £600,000;

Samuel Kuffour (33 y/o, GHA 64 caps, 8 goals, D RC) to Racing Santander on a Bosman free transfer;

Neider Morantes (35 y/o, COL 50 caps, 10 goals, M C) released on a free transfer;

Rubén (32 y/o, ESP, GK) to Melilla for £275,000.

Only one championship in the last ten years is unacceptable to the board of Real Madrid, and they will expect new manager, Señor José Manuel Gutiérrez to lift the club towards the championship this season. Years of under-achieving have left the enormous fan base of Real Madrid hungry for success, and one has to doubt whether Señor Gutiérrez will enjoy a long stay in the hot-seat if he fails to deliver the trophies this season. For the second season in a row, Real Madrid will not participate in the premier European competition, having to make do with a spot in the UEFA Cup, so it will be imperative that the club finishes at least in the top four, and really in the top two, to have a successful season. The club has turned over its squad in the summer, drastically trimming the elder players from the list and bringing in several big transfers to bolster the squad’s depth. However, one big transfer was unfortunately for the club a departure, as Joe Cole departed for AC Milan in the summer for £33 million. The English international attacking midfielder had offered Real Madrid much creativity through the middle of the park during the season, and his departure will not be easy for the club to fill immediately.

Bottom Line: Real Madrid has given Cartagonova and Barcelona a big head-start in the race towards this season’s championship, and given the number of players turned over during the season, it is doubtful that they can make it up solely in one season. However, Real Madrid have freshened up the squad, and the ‘new broom’ should produce real results this season. A better finish than fifth is expected, and should be delivered.

Players In

Gianluca Triuzzi (31 y/o, ITA 1 cap, S C) from Inter Milan for £11.25 million;

Artur (29 y/o, ESP 5 caps, DM RC) from Villarreal for £10 million;

Niccolo Galli (27 y/o, ITA 3 caps, D C) from Bari for £2.4 million;

Gustavo Rodríguez (29 y/o, URU 2 caps, AM LC) from Nacional for £1.3 million;

Luis Castro (27 y/o, ARG, GK) from Deportivo La Coruña for £600,000;

Aitor Núñez (19 y/o, ESP, DM C) from QPR for £1.2 million.

Players Out

Javier Aparicio (20 y/o, ESP, AM/F L) to Don Benito on a Bosman free transfer;

Roberto Rivas (20 y/o, ESP, GK) to Real Zaragoza for £50,000;

Gianluca Zambrotta (33 y/o, ITA 74 caps, 5 goals, DM/F RL) to Juventus on a Bosman free transfer;

Joe Cole (28 y/o, ENG 55 caps, 13 goals, AM C) to AC Milan for £33 million;

Juan Valle (21 y/o, ESP, M C) released on a free transfer;

Santiago de la Cruz (21 y/o, ESP, D R) released on a free transfer;

Joaquín Ãlvarez (20 y/o, ESP, S C) released on a free transfer;

Sérgio Conceição (35 y/o, POR 83 caps, 8 goals, AM R) released on a free transfer;

Juan Carlos Aguirre (20 y/o, ESP, M R) released on a free transfer;

Sergio Suárez (21 y/o, ESP, DM RC) released on a free transfer;

José Manuel García Sánchez (20 y/o, ESP, AM/F R) released on a free transfer.

Real Sociedad has shown some clubs how to efficiently and effectively conduct a football club and the associated business. Last season was a season of consolidation for Real Sociedad, as the club finished sixth after finishing third the season before, and also picked up the Spanish Super Cup by defeating Cartagonova in the season opener. The one big asset at the disposal of the club is World Cup-winning and Golden Boot-winning striker Joseba Llorente. Llorente had a particularly successful World Cup and he will be looked upon to provide the same level of lethal finishing to his club as he did for his country in the World Cup. He will be ably supported by Welsh international striker Aaron Cable, with whom Llorente has formed an effective partnership, while the veteran midfielder Rodrigo will also go around for another season. The pedigree of the club’s playing squad, after those three, tends to slip away to the mere competent, particularly in defence, although Carlos Hernández, at 21 years of age, represents another potential international representative for the club.

Bottom Line: Real Sociedad is a club heavily reliant on one player in particular. If he fires, then the club can look forward to a successful season, but if he fails to hit his straps, or is injured, then the club will likely struggle. A peak of third in the league may be too much to expect, but on the whole, the club will be satisfied with a similar finish as it did last season.

Players In

Ayeni Bosun (31 y/o, NIG 27 caps, 5 goals, DM C) from Villarreal for £925,000;

Robert Bosnjak (33 y/o, HRV 25 caps, SW/D/DM LC) from Deportivo La Coruña on a Bosman free transfer;

Viktor Dikhtiar (30 y/o, UKR 22 caps, GK) from Rayo Vallecano for £825,000.

Players Out

Freddy Torres (29 y/o, COL 66 caps, 1 goal, D RLC) to Hapoel Haifa for £325,000;

Albert Nadj (35 y/o, YUG 30 caps, 3 goals, DM RC) to Badajoz on a Bosman free transfer;

Edgaras Jankauskas (35 y/o, LIT 81 caps, 21 goals, S C) released on a free transfer;

César Prates (35 y/o, BRA 2 caps, D R) to Málaga on a Bosman free transfer;

José Félix Guerrero (34 y/o, ESP, D/DM C) released on a free transfer;

Agostinho (34 y/o, POR 4 caps, D/AM L) released on a free transfer;

Adrián Bastía (31 y/o, ARG, M C) released on a free transfer;

Juan Carlos Falcón (30 y/o, ARG 35 caps, 5 goals, M RLC) to Barcelona for £12.25 million.

Having finished fourth in the Primera Liga the first season back after a season spent in the Segunda Liga way back in 2001/02, Sporting Gijón has slowly declined season after season. Last season’s fourteenth place in La Liga was a disappointing finish, and a definite improvement will be expected from the club. The club certainly has a big first team squad, but there are question marks over whether sufficient quality exists throughout the squad to help Sporting find its way up the ladder in the coming season. Former Dutch international, Cedric van der Gun, and Spanish striker, Francisco Javier Hernández, probably hold the biggest threat for opposition teams, but their support seems thin on the ground. Further, the club’s position is not aided by the aging nature of the team overall, particularly in defence.

Bottom Line: Sporting Gijón will struggle to break into the top ten. There is a definite pattern established over the last ten years that looks set to continue into the foreseeable future. Whether the club finds itself in a relegation dogfight this season is debatable, but if the club gets off to a bad start and/or is hit by injury, then this probability may become a reality.

Players In

Liang Wang (31 y/o, CHN 13 caps, D/M LC) from Espanyol for £475,000;

Branko Boskovic (30 y/o, YUG 31 caps, 3 goals, AM RLC) from Atlético Madrid for £1.6 million;

Biri (35 y/o, ESP, D/M L) on a Bosman free transfer from Sevilla;

Mauricio Caranta (32 y/o, ARG, GK) from Newell’s Old Boys for £1.3 million.

Players Out

Germán Rivarola (31 y/o, ARG, D/M L) to Compostela on a Bosman free transfer;

Daniel Valverde (18 y/o, ESP, D/DM L) to Recreativo on a Bosman free transfer;

Ezequiel Giannunzio (28 y/o, ARG, M RL) to Córdoba on a Bosman free transfer;

Sebastián Coria (30 y/o, ARG, AM/F RL) released on a free transfer;

Germán Gerbaudo (34 y/o, ARG, D RLC) released on a free transfer;

Cristian Castillo (35 y/o, ARG, S C) to Gimnasia La Plata on a Bosman free transfer;

Diego Basavilbaso (33 y/o, ARG, S C) to Lanús on a Bosman free transfer;

Rubén Montero (21 y/o, ESP, D LC) released on a free transfer.

By finishing third last season in the Segunda Liga, Tenerife returned to the top flight of Spanish club football for the first time since 2003/04, when it won only five games for the season and finished last. Certainly, it must be difficult for the club to attract players to relocate to the Canary Islands, and the club’s finances are said to be in dire straits, with the managerial hierarchy desperately casting around to find a saviour to keep the club solvent in the future. Indeed, it has been widely rumoured that the Spanish FA and UEFA have both contributed funds to Tenerife to keep it in business, though that is hotly denied by both entities and Tenerife. However, despite the isolation and the lack of finances, the club has managed to sign some useful players as it looks to consolidate in the Primera Liga. Top of priority was finding an experienced goalkeeper, and ex-Stoke and Aston Villa stopper, Peter Enckelman fitted the bill nicely. Another big coup for the club was enticing Brazilian striker Jurandir to join from Osasuna on a Bosman free transfer. The free-scoring striker will be a key player in Tenerife’s battle to avoid the drop this season. Midfield has been strengthened by the signing of Argentine midfielder Sebastián Battaglia from Sevilla, while Gustavo López and José María Basualdo will be relied upon to put some steel in the defence. Other experienced players, such as Samuel Lawal and Vladimir Bestchastnykh will also have roles to play in the future. The club has done well in the transfer market in the summer and has reason to hope for a successful season.

Bottom Line: There would be few pundits tipping Tenerife to stay in the Primera Liga at the end of this season when they were promoted as the third-best club in the Segunda Liga, but wise transfer policy in the summer has seen the club’s squad strengthened in all key areas. There should be sufficient quality in the club to see off any potential relegation fight.

Players In

Peter Enckelman (33 y/o, FIN 43 caps, GK) from Stoke on a Bosman free transfer;

Jurandir (31 y/o, BRA, S C) from Osasuna on a Bosman free transfer;

Miguel Ãngel Puche (22 y/o, ESP, D R) from Motril on a Bosman free transfer;

Sebastián Battaglia (29 y/o, ARG, DM C) from Sevilla on a Bosman free transfer;

Carlos Isach (31 y/o, ESP, DM C) from Málaga on a Bosman free transfer;

Helio (31 y/o, ESP, D R) from Ourense on a Bosman free transfer;

Gustavo López (24 y/o, ESP, D C) from Granada for £130,000;

José María Basualdo (32 y/o, ARG, D C) from Independiente for £400,000;

Mirza Jelecak (25 y/o, BOS 45 caps, 1 goal, D/M R) from Campomaiorense for £85,000;

Samuel Lawal (31 y/o, NIG 17 caps, 4 goals, S C) on a free transfer;

Vladimir Bestchastnykh (36 y/o, RUS 105 caps, 30 goals, S C) on a free transfer;

Veljko Paunovic (33 y/o, YUG, AM RC) on a free transfer;

Ismael (35 y/o, ESP, S C) on a free transfer.

Players Out

José Antonio Lucio (21 y/o, ESP, D/DM L) to Hospitalet on a Bosman free transfer;

Moisés (32 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D LC) to Deportivo La Coruña on a Bosman free transfer;

Luis Miguel Lobo (30 y/o, POR 1 cap, S C) to Espanyol on a Bosman free transfer;

Givanildo (28 y/o, BRA, D C) to Alavés for £1.7 million;

David (33 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Melilla on a Bosman free transfer;

Jonas Börjesson (26 y/o, SWE, M RLC) to Elche for £1.7 million;

Francisco Nogueroi (34 y/o, ESP, SW/D RC) released on a free transfer;

Guillermo Giacomazzi (32 y/o, URU 8 caps, AM L) to Racing Santander on a Bosman free transfer;

Juan Carlos Rosado (21 y/o, ESP, GK) to Villarreal for £375,000;

David Morales (35 y/o, ESP, D R) released on a free transfer;

Hugo Morales (36 y/o, ARG 12 caps, 2 goals, AM LC) released on a free transfer;

César (34 y/o, BRA 5 caps, D C) to Gimansia La Plata on a Bosman free transfer;

Martín Posse (35 y/o, ARG 17 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RC) released on a free transfer.

Valencia has long been seen as a powerhouse in Spanish football, but its league results over the last ten seasons have tended to not support such a perception. After finishing a lowly 13th in 2008/09, Valencia could do no better than ninth last season, and the position of Señor Frank Rikjaard in the top job was precarious, at best. He needs to make an impressive start to the season to retain his grip upon the job. However, Señor Rikjaard has assembled a very impressive defensive back-four, with Matías Donnet and Borja being joined over the summer by David Oliva from Deportivo. A problem perhaps that has not been addressed in the summer was a lack of creativity in midfield, with too much being put upon the shoulders of aging players such as Quique, Miguel Ãngel Angulo and Francisco Javier Farinós, although the club sought to remedy that somewhat by signing Hugo Viana and Christoffer Nyquist to support Israeli international Yossi Benayoun. But the big ace in the deck for Señor Rikjaard is the Spanish international striker Óscar del Pino, who with support from new signing Pablo Islas, will be expected to score the bulk of Valencia’s goals in the league. Fresh from helping Spain to win the World Cup, del Pino will be buoyant and looking for goals. He holds the key to Valencia moving up the table back towards where its fans, and effectively everybody else, expect it to be.

Bottom Line: Valencia should be a better club than it is, but a failure over the past few seasons to properly manage the squad has seen Valencia slide down the ladder. The climb back will be difficult, and it will start this season. A finish better than ninth will be expected, but a position in the top four will probably be beyond the club.

Players In

Christoffer Nyquist (27 y/o, SWE, M RL) from Alavés for £1.9 million;

David Oliva (24 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D RL) from Deportivo la Coruña for £10.5 million;

Amara Kailie (27 y/o, SLE 28 caps, 5 goals, AM L) from Atlético Madrid for £1.7 million;

Pablo Islas (31 y/o, ARG, S C) from Real Betis for £9.75 million;

Hugo Viana (26 y/o, POR, AM RC) from Córdoba for £3.3 million;

Luis Carlos Cuartero (35 y/o, ESP, D C) from Real Zaragoza on a Bosman free transfer.

Players Out

Boudewijn Zenden (34 y/o, NED 25 caps, 4 goals, AM/F L) to Ajax Amsterdam on a Bosman free transfer;

Guly (36 y/o, ARG 7 caps, D/DM/F RL) to Real Oviedo on a Bosman free transfer;

Denis Onichtenchenko (31 y/o, UKR 38 caps, 3 goals, M C) to Numancia on a Bosman free transfer;

Juan Viveros (30 y/o, CHI 29 caps, 1 goal, AM R) to Real Oviedo on a Bosman free transfer;

José Manuel Pinto (34 y/o, ESP, GK) to Albacete on a Bosman free transfer;

Ivan Juric (34 y/o, HRV 55 caps, 2 goals, M LC) to Real Valladolid on a Bosman free transfer;

Nicolas Ramirez (34 y/o, MEX 67 caps, 8 goals, DM LC) to Alavés on a Bosman free transfer;

José Pozo (21 y/o, ESP, DM L) released on a free transfer;

Miguel Angel Zepeda (34 y/o, MEX 84 caps, 10 goals, D/DM C) released on a free transfer.

In some respects, Villarreal has the opportunity to represent the future of Spanish football, boasting as it does three U-21 representatives for Spain. All three players have roles to play for Villarreal, and are part of a burgeoning pool of talent gathering at the club. Former Spanish international goalkeeper Javier López Vallejo is an experienced player capable of leading those around him, while Argentine international Angel Puertas has steel and bravado in the defence to keep the club together at the back. In midfield, Belgian international playmaker Kevin Franck has drawn favourable comparisons with the likes of Zinedine Zidane with his ability to keep possession of the ball and find the player best-placed to continue the attack. Perhaps Villarraal is lacking a little in firepower, although young Spanish striker Felipe Gómez will be keen to prove that he is worth a spot in Villarreal’s best eleven players. Finishing eighth in the league last season was probably slightly disappointing, given the talent available in the squad, and a place in the top six will be highly desired for the ambitious club.

Bottom Line: It’s difficult to fit Villarreal in with the list of fashionable Spanish clubs, but a few seasons ago, it was the same with Cartagonova. The club is building a squad of players that blends youth and experience, vitality and cunning, along with a healthy dose of talent. Villarreal is a club to keep an eye upon this season as they seek a place in Europe.

Players In

Ola Otfors-Palmqvist (29 y/o, SWE, AM/F LC) from Cartagonova on player exchange;

Ralf Schütte (19 y/o, GER, D/DM L) from Aalen on a Bosman free transfer;

Pablo Óscar Cavellero (36 y/o, ARG 97 caps, GK) from VfB Stuttgart on a Bosman free transfer;

Jaume Soler (18 y/o, ESP, S C) from Atlético Madrid for £1.8 million;

Juan Lombardi (25 y/o, ARG, AM LC) from San Lorenzo for £2.9 million;

Juan Carlos Rosado (21 y/o, ESP, GK) from Tenerife for £375,000;

Iñaki Fuentes (19 y/o, ESP, S C) from Granada for £40,000.

Players Out

Bravo (36 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Gimnástica on a Bosman free transfer;

Raúl Román (20 y/o, ESP, S C) to Deportivo la Coruña for £900,000;

José Mário Moedim Júnior (22 y/o, BRA, S C) to Cartagonova for £3.6 million plus player exchange;

Moha (32 y/o, ESP, AM L) to Badajoz on a Bosman free transfer;

Ayeni Bosun (31 y/o, NIG 27 caps, 5 goals, DM C) to Real Sociedad for £925,000;

Artur (29 y/o, ESP 5 caps, DM RC) to Real Madrid for £10 million;

Aitor (34 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Salamanca on a Bosman free transfer;

Dragan Drasim (33 y/o, YUG, M C) to Levante on a Bosman free transfer;

Christian Callejas (32 y/o, URU 43 caps, 5 goals, DM R) to Bielefeld on a Bosman free transfer;

John Hove (22 y/o, DEN, AM L) to Celta Vigo for £1.6 million;

César Cruchaga (36 y/o, ESP, D RC) released on a free transfer.

Finally, Real Zaragoza has bounced around the divisions for a few seasons now, and they will hope that after being crowned champions of the Segunda Liga at the end of last season, this will be the first season in a long streak of participation in the Primera Liga. The club has been very active on the transfer market looking to improve the squad for the assault on the coming season, but much will depend upon the veteran Ecuadorian striker Iván Kaviedes and midfielders Sixto Peralta and Miguel to do the bulk of the attacking work. At the back, Ricardo Carmo will hope that a successful season at Real Zaragoza will draw the eye of the Portuguese hierarchy and result in a call-up to the international squad, but he will likely have his work cut out for him with a defence that could only be called competent at best. Real Zaragoza could be looking at a relegation dogfight at the end of this season.

Bottom Line: Again, with so many other clubs in the Primera Liga this season, a lot of the work rests on the shoulders of too few quality players. Therefore, Real Zaragoza run the risk of injury costing the club vital points at vital times. In any event, there seems to be a lack of quality through the squad that prevents the club from climbing much higher than lower mid-table. It could be a long season for the supporters if things go bad early.

Players In

Julien Sablé (29 y/o, FRA 10 caps, 5 goals, DM C) from Lens on a Bosman free transfer;

Roberto Rivas (20 y/o, ESP, GK) from Real Madrid for £50,000;

Pablo Trobbiani (33 y/o, ESP, M C) from Osasuna for £85,000;

Vicente (34 y/o, ESP, DM C) from Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer;

Dani Torres (32 y/o, ESP, S C) from Numancia for £140,000;

Yao Li (32 y/o, CHN 33 caps, 5 goals, AM L) from Hongtao for £55,000;

Pedro Agné (23 y/o, ESP, D L) from Albacete for £275,000;

Guti (33 y/o, ESP 2 caps, AM C) from Inter Milan on a Bosman free transfer;

Ricardo Carmo (28 y/o, POR, SW/D C) from Académica on a Bosman free transfer;

Enrique Mora (22 y/o, ESP, D RC) from Atlético Madrid for £425,000;

Mariano Aguado (25 y/o, ESP, GK) from Getafe for £60,000;

Roberto Losada (33 y/o, ESP 3 caps, F RC) on a free transfer;

Stefano Fiore (35 y/o, ITA 52 caps, 10 goals, AM C) from Atlético Madrid on a Bosman free transfer;

Miguel (30 y/o, ESP, AM LC) from Córdoba for £1.2 million.

Players Out

Perica Ognjenovic (33 y/o, YUG 25 caps, 1 goal, AM/F LC) to Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer;

Donato Sánchez Caballero (33 y/o, MEX 54 caps, 9 goals, AM LC) to Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer;

Majid Afash (31 y/o, ALG 30 caps, 7 goals, AM RC) to Badajoz on a Bosman free transfer;

Rubén Molina (20 y/o, ESP, DM RC) to Elche for £700,000;

Jordi Ferrón (32 y/o, ESP 10 caps, 1 goal, D RL) to Atlético Madrid on a Bosman free transfer;

Pedro Nieto (35 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Levante on a Bosman free transfer;

Roberto (32 y/o, ESP, S C) to Rayo Vallecano on a Bosman free transfer;

Luis Carlos Cuartero (35 y/o, ESP, D C) to Valencia on a Bosman free transfer;

Chema (34 y/o, ESP, M R) to Racing Santander for £140,000;

Josemi (34 y/o, ESP, S C) released on a free transfer;

Mayer Candelo (33 y/o, COL 18 caps, 1 goal, AM C) released on a free transfer;

Pablo Trobbiani (28 y/o, ARG, GK) to Sabadell for £300,000;

Vicente (34 y/o, ESP, DM C) released on a free transfer;

Guti (33 y/o, ESP 2 caps, AM C) to Atlético Madrid on a Bosman free transfer.

In the evening, it’s time to settle down and pick some players for Spain’s first game post-World Cup success. In the meantime, Bojan Djordjic is called up by Sweden for games against FYROM and Romania. Zlatan Muslimovic will join up with the Bosnian squad for games against Spain and Slovakia. Andy Owen will hopefully feature for Wales in their games against Germany and Greece. Martin Smith is selected in Denmark’s squad for matches against Northern Ireland and Russia. Alex Notman and Gary Mason are picked by Scotland to face San Marino and Northern Ireland. England turns to Spain with Mark Williams and George Clegg in the squad for games against Belarus and Bulgaria. Shimon Gershon will again play for Israel against Italy and Austria.

I’m informed that Mariano Carmona and Enrique Kortina will represent Spain at the U-21 level for the games against Bosnia and Norway, though should I chose to do so, they can be elevated to the full squad. De la Rosa is suspended after the World Cup final, so he is omitted from the squad. Although Raúl is 33 years old, he assures me that he still wants to continue playing, so I keep him in the squad. Further, with 26 players capable of being selected, I can expand the squad, and I decide to pick some young players to groom for the future. Into the squad come David Oliva of Valencia (though he is no stranger to international football), Antonio Vázquez of Roma, Osasuna’s Fernando Herrero, Atlético Madrid’s Martín Burgos and Sporting Gijón’s Francisco Javier Hernández. Four Cartagonova players - Iván Vidal, Jaime Garrido, José Antonio Reyes, and Juan Hernández - are picked in the squad.

The full details are as follows:

Goalkeepers

César Laínez (33 y/o, ESP 35 caps, GK): Barcelona

Iván Vidal (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): Cartagonova

Iker Casillas (29 y/o, ESP 7 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Defenders

Ãngel (21 y/o, ESP 10 caps, D RL): Roma

César (30 y/o, ESP 34 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Juventus

David Oliva (24 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D RL): Valencia

Antonio Vázquez (23 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D L): Roma

Iván Amaya (31 y/o, ESP 71 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (32 y/o, ESP 57 caps, D C): Barcelona

Pablo Jallas Amigó (20 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D/DM C): Newcastle United

Carlos Marchena (31 y/o, ESP 36 caps, 1 goal, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Fernando Herrero (23 y/o, ESP, DM RC): Osasuna

Gavião (30 y/o, ESP 31 caps, 8 goals, DM C): Real Betis

Diego (31 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Barcelona

Jaime Garrido (26 y/o, ESP 31 caps, 14 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (25 y/o, ESP 27 caps, 11 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

Martín Burgos (26 y/o, ESP, AM/F L): Atlético Madrid

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 17 caps, 1 goal, AM L): Cartagonova

Vicente (29 y/o, ESP 87 caps, 34 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Gerard (31 y/o, ESP 49 caps, 10 goals, AM C): Barcelona

Juan Hernández (25 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, AM/F C): Cartagonova

Forwards

Raùl (33 y/o, ESP 130 caps, 61 goals, AM/F LC): AC Milan

Ignacio Morán (23 y/o, ESP 5 caps, F LC): Rayo Vallecano

Óscar del Pino (24 y/o, ESP 6 caps, 3 goals, S C): Valencia

Francisco Javier Hernández (27 y/o, ESP, S C): Sporting Gijón

Joseba Llorente (30 y/o, ESP 28 caps, 15 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

22nd of August 2010

Spanish Super Cup - First Leg: Cartagonova v Barcelona

We have lost our last two Super Cups on aggregate and given our indifferent pre-season form, I fear that we’ll begin this one badly, too. However, the referee decides that it isn’t a game until he’s handed out half a dozen yellow cards for some soft fouls. That has the effect of breaking up the game, with neither side finding a rhythm inside the first half hour or so. With a crowd of about 20,500 on our side, we begin to exert our authority from that point and string together some flowing moves which puts Barcelona’s defence under pressure, although Brighi and Källström threaten on occasion to put Barcelona in the lead, against the run of play. But the best move of the game to date comes on the stroke of half-time, as we keep possession of the ball until Kortina, filling in for the suspended Reyes on the left, can find a break on his opposite number, takes the ball on his left and swings in an inviting cross for Notman to bang home on the half-volley past César Laínez. It’s a nice way to end the half.

We begin the second half on a bright note, too, as Maldonado stupidly kicks the ball away in anger and is sent off for his pains. Barcelona switch to a defensive formation, immediately withdrawing Ricardo Jorge for André Luiz, pulling Calaiò into midfield and reshaping a flat-back four. This effectively cedes the middle of the pitch to us, and it’s little wonder that we’re continuously on the front foot, though Barcelona are good enough on occasion to test Vidal’s reflexes in our goal. However, with a goal lead and a man advantage, we have the upper hand, and our pressure is turned into a second goal for debutant Scheweleff on 79 minutes. Kortina is again the architect, taking the ball past his marker before flinging a cross in tailor-made for Scheweleff to out-jump César and nod into the back of the net. We could have had two more before full-time, with César Laínez doing well to save from Notman, and Mason thundering a drive that was tipped away by the Barcelona keeper at the death. All in all, a reasonable start to the competitive season, soured only by a broken toe suffered by Olmo on 20 minutes which will keep him out for three weeks.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Olmo (Cabrera 20), Gershon, Smith, Carmona; Kortina, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Scheweleff, Notman.

Barcelona (4-3-2-1): Laínez; L. Ruiz, Milito, César, Rojas; Brighi (Olembé 91), Maldonado (s/o 46), Gerard; Ricardo Jorge (A. Luiz 46), Källström; Calaiò.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Barcelona

MoM - Enrique Kortina

23rd of August 2010

I pay the price of having Kortina in my first eleven, as Barcelona approach me with a bid of £10 million for the young midfielder. Unfortunately, it is to be paid all at once and matches Kortina’s minimum fee release clause. This is very annoying, as I’m sure Kortina will jump at the chance to leave the club.

Not a very good day for the club at all, as Scheweleff damages a knee in training, which means he will miss three weeks.

25th of August 2010

In a last desperate bid to stop Kortina leaving, I offer him a contract with very generous terms, but it is not enough to sway his mind and he announces his departure for Barceona, accompanied by one last parting shot through the media at me. At least he stays until mid-December, giving me plenty of time to work him over for his betrayal.

Jean-François Gillet is called up by Belgium for its game against Germany.

27th of August 2010

European Super Cup - Willem II v Cartagonova

Our week goes from bad to worse as we dominate this game but cannot find a winner inside 90 minutes, then manage to go down on the golden goal rule to a 30 yard pearler of a shot that no keeper in the world could have stopped. I make many changes to the side that defeated Barcelona last Sunday, leaving out the likes of Shimon Gershon, Martin Smith, Enrique Kortina, Gary Mason, Jaime Garrido, George Clegg, Henri Scheweleff (who is injured), and Alex Notman. In their place, I put Anthony Loughran, José Manuel Lasa, José Antonio Reyes, Andy Owen, Mark Williams, Juan Hernández, Moedim Júnior, and Cherno Samba. But the Dutch open the scoring on 8 minutes when van Beukering takes control of the ball after it breaks free from Loughran’s tackle on Valeev, and slots it past the hapless Vidal. icon_frown.gif Not a great way to get the game going, I’m sure you’ll agree.

But we’re on even terms just nine minutes later when Samba feeds the overlapping Cabrera, who sends a low ball across the penalty area for Juan Hernández to slide in and tap home! icon_smile.gif Willem II look dangerous on the break with a couple of efforts going high, but we begin to assert our superiority on the ball towards the half-time interval. However, wayward finishing keeps us from taking the lead going into half-time. When Reyes tumbles over and clutches his leg six minutes into the second half, I fear the worst as I send on Garrido to replace the Spanish international winger, who had had a quiet game to that point. He’s taken straight into the rooms where I’m informed later that he has torn his groin muscle. Ouch. icon_frown.gif His injury is further compounded by our inability to hit the back of the net, with Samba the main culprit. I swing the changes, looking for the winning formula, but as time ticks away, stout defending from Willem II saves the game just in stoppage time at the end of the 90 minutes.

The game ticks over into golden goal extra time, and Garrido misses a golden opportunity on 93 minutes to wrap things up when he shoots straight at the Willem II goalkeeper. Six minutes later, Notman breaks free of his marker inside the box, but when you would have put the house on him scoring, he lets us down by smashing his drive over the bar. We’re made to pay when Leonardo, Doornbos and van Beukering combine in a lovely flowing move that leaves my defenders trailing, before Leonardo puts the icing on the cake, delivering the coup de grace in style with a curling, dipping shot from 30 yards that leaves Vidal with no chance. icon_frown.gif

Oh well, it’s not a trophy high on my list of priorities.

Willem II (4-4-1-1): Vercammen; Supusepa, van Es ©, Heije (van der Woude 51), Jacobs; Leonardo, Hamers, Valeev (Aydin 80), Caïro (Meyong 63); van Beurkering; Doornbos.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Lasa, Loughran, Carmona; Owen; Reyes (Garrido 51), Williams (Clegg 91); Hernández; Moedim Júnior, Samba (Notman 74).

Final score: Willem II 2:1 Cartagonova (aet)

MoM - John van Beukering

The news on Reyes is very bad - three months out with a torn groin muscle. It means that I’m down to one left-sided midfielder, Bojan Djordjic, although Garrido can pinch-hit on that flank. It also requires me to replace Reyes in the Spanish squad, and in the end I plump for U-21 international Francisco Javier González Pérez of Villarreal: Francisco Javier González Pérez (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F L): Villarreal.

29th of August 2010

Spanish Super Cup - Second Leg: Barcelona v Cartagonova

I’m comfortable travelling to Catalans country defending a 2-0 lead, even though my first team looks different again to the last side that lost to Willem II. Mantilla and Bressán are the full-backs, Gershon and Smith the central defenders, Mason slots back into the anchor role, Djordjic takes over from the injured Reyes, Garrido resumes his place on the right, Clegg in the hole behind the strikers Attram and Notman.

We are lucky to still have eleven men on the pitch and not be one down as the referee somehow misses Vidal clipping the feet of Calaiò on 5 minutes when the Italian international was free to shoot on goal. Despite the howls of protest from the 97,000 strong crowd, the referee turns down the appeals and waves play on. We make Barcelona suffer when just four minutes later, Attram has his first goal in Cartagonova colours, banging home a drive from just inside the penalty area after good lead-up play by Notman. From then on, it’s basically a Barcelona show, as Calaiò, Gerard, and Brighi all miss chances on another day they might have taken, but we go into the half-time break holding on to our one goal advantage on the day, and a 3-0 lead overall.

Barcelona continue to heap the pressure on in the early stages of the second half, with Vidal saving superbly from Calaiò on 56 minutes, then from Brighi on 64 minutes. Notman and Attram are striving to make the most of limited opportunities, and Notman draws a superb save from César Laínez on 74 minutes. Three minutes later, Barcelona are back in with a shout as Brighi hits a cross into the area that dips beyond my defenders and onto the head of a gleeful Gerard, who accepts the opportunity with aplomb. Brighi continues to menace my defenders when on 80 minutes, he hits a swerving shot, only to see Vidal save it comfortably. Calaiò also looks dangerous as he tries to latch onto an errant clearance, but we hold out for the last ten minutes and take a draw away from the Nou Camp - a fair result, given our spate of injuries and the wholesale changes I’ve made to the eleven in the last week.

Barcelona (1-2-5-2): Laínez; David; Milito, César; Guerrero, Diego, Brighi, Gerard ©, L. Ruiz; Ricardo Jorge, Calaiò.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Gershon, Smith, Bressán; Mason; Djordjic, Garrido; Clegg; Attram, Notman.

Final score: Barcelona 1:1 Cartagonova

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 3:1 Barcelona

MoM - Godwin Attram

2nd of September 2010

“… Cartagonova is delighted to announce the purchase of Dutch international defender Matthew Altena from Real Betis, for a sum which we will not disclose at the present time, due to the terms of the transfer agreement. The transfer will be completed when the Spanish transfer window opens on 15th of December 2010…â€

Well, it might be kept secret from the media and the public, but I can tell you that we will spend, in total, £13 million on the Dutch defender. The 27 year old defender is very comfortable on the ball, possesses excellent distribution skills, as well as being a strong man and a great tackle, he possesses also leadership qualities. He should be poised to lead our defender for the next six years, as he has signed a long-term contract with us. I’m very pleased to have his signature on a transfer agreement.

3rd of September 2010

Cartagonova’s Enrique Kortina and Mariano Carmona participate in Spain U-21s’ thrashing of Bosnia U-21s, as we hammer them 6-2. Fiorentina’s Manuel de la Cruz, captain for the evening, caught my eye in particular, as he scored four goals. Carmona and Kortina are both credited with assists.

I’m asked by UEFA to submit my 25-man squad for the first group phase of the European Champions' League. After some consultation with my assistant manager and coaches, I settle upon the following squad:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): 401(1) apps, 458 conceded, 31 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29

Jean-François Gillet (32 y/o, BEL 29 caps, GK): 7 apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 6.86

Jesús Martínez (18 y/o, ESP, GK): 1 app, 2 conceded, av. rating: 7.00

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (32 y/o, ISR 62 caps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C): 235(6) apps, 9 goals, 8 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14

Andrés Bressán (33 y/o, ARG 2 caps, D RLC): 46(3) apps, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.92

César Cabrera (25 y/o, ESP 8 caps, D RL): 96(14) apps, 1 goal, 21 assists, av. rating: 6.75

Mariano Carmona (22 y/o, ESP, D RC): 2 apps, av. rating: 6.00

Fransisco José Mantilla (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D L): 23 apps, 2 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 6.87

Martin Smith (32 y/o, DEN 47 caps, 2 goals, D/DM LC): 128(4) apps, 3 goals, 11 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.85

José Manuel Lasa (25 y/o, ESP, D C): 53(11) apps, 4 assists, av. rating: 7.02

Anthony Loughran (28 y/o, ENG, D C): 7(4) apps, av. rating: 6.64

Midfielders

Gary Mason (30 y/o, SCO 7 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 52(2) apps, 16 goals, 12 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.64

Andy Owen (25 y/o, WAL 37 caps, 10 goals, DM/S C): 9(12) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.71

George Clegg (29 y/o, ENG 2 caps, AM/F RC): 231(27) apps, 73 goals, 55 assists, 18 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38

Jaime Garrido (26 y/o, ESP 31 caps, 14 goals, AM/F RLC): 141(19) apps, 32 goals, 39 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.51

Enrique Kortina (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F RLC): 11(8) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.16

Zlatan Muslimovic (29 y/o, BOS 59 caps, 29 goals, AM/F RC): 37(8) apps, 7 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09

Mark Williams (28 y/o, ENG 8 caps, AM R): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00

Bojan Djordjic (28 y/o, SWE 21 caps, 2 goals, AM LC): 66(7) apps, 8 goals, 12 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.16

Juan Hernández (25 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, AM/F C): 64(39) apps, 38 goals, 17 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.33

Forwards

Alex Notman (30 y/o, SCO 34 caps, 19 goals, AM/F C): 228(8) apps, 156 goals, 69 assists, 60 MoMs, av. rating: 8.15

Henri Scheweleff (27 y/o, FIN 36 caps, 22 goals, AM/F C): 1 app, 1 goal, av. rating: 8.00

José Marío Moedim Júnior (22 y/o, BRA, S C): 11(2) apps, 9 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.77

José Manuel Redondo (34 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C): 362(12) apps, 204 goals, 95 assists, 55 MoMs, av. rating: 7.78

Cherno Samba (24 y/o, ENG, S C): 13(14) apps, 7 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.18

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to look at some of my old posts, and found I started reading this in 2002 (pg 25 ish) Ive just started using the board again AND ITS STILL GOING!!!!! SCARY!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Its got to be the longest story ever going????? (or is it?)

I have got alot of catching up to do.

Right page 1......... lol icon_wink.gif

Archived