How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

27th of December 2009

I sign Villarreal’s Brazilian striker José Mário Moedim Júnio on loan until the end of the season. I have a good feeling that the 22 year old striker could be an excellent long-term replacement for Notman, who turned 30 a couple of weeks ago. He would probably come at a hefty price if I was to buy him now, but the loan is a ‘try before you buy’, so to speak, so I’m happy to have him here.

However, I’m conducting this business from my hotel room, as the Spanish FA requires me to attend Geneva and the always riveting draw for the World Cup. There’s nothing quite like watching an old geezer pulling out balls, opening them up, and then passing them on to another old geezer to read out to the billions of people around the world. Anyway, we would have to be favourite to qualify from our group, which is Group F, as we share it with Ghana, Greece and Uruguay.

Briefly running through each group, we start with Group A, where Germany must be the raging favourite to qualify for the round of 16, with Estonia, Peru and the USA jostling for second place. In Group B, Italy and Ireland should cruise through, with their opposition provided by Iran and Canada. Group C sees Argentina matched with three minnows - Guinea, Israel and Lebanon. In Group D, Colombia, Russia, Tanzania and Turkey should make for some interesting group games. Group E also throws up some interesting matches, with Belgium, Brazil, China and Mexico all drawn together. Group G puts together Algeria, France, Japan, and Norway, while Group H includes the Ivory Coast, Portugal, South Korea and Sweden.

So there really isn’t a typical “Group of Death†in this World Cup, though Groups D, E and G should be entertaining in particular. The World Cup kicks off on the 9th of June 2010, with Peru v Estonia and USA v Germany from Buenos Aires and Rosario respectively. We don’t play our first match until the 13th of June when we take on Ghana.

Surprisingly, the Spanish FA informs me that they only expect us to reach the quarter-finals, despite us winning Euro 2008 a couple of years ago and being ranked by FIFA as the best country in the world.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28th of December 2009

Valencia offers me £1.2 million for Palomino. I respond by asking for Izzy Iriekpen, worth £9.75 million on the open market, in exchange for the untried defender.

30th of December 2009

Valencia returns with a bid of £1.5 million for Palomino. I reject the offer, saying I don’t want to sell to a rival club.

31st of December 2009

On the last day of the year, I’m forced to deny a rumour sweeping around the country that Shimon Gershon is on his way to Villarreal for £6.25 million.

2nd of January 2010

As the year clicks over, the Italian transfer window opens. Fiorentina signs Valentino Lai from AS Roma for £33 million in the biggest transfer, while Fabio Coppola goes from Lazio to Inter Milan for £11.75 million.

3rd of January 2010

I reject offers from Real Sociedad and Atlético Madrid for Gary Mason worth £2.5 million this morning.

Primera Liga - Game 16: Espanyol v Cartagonova

The first game after the new year is a tough visit to ninth-placed Espanyol. Just over 30,000 fans cram into the Olímpico de Montjuïc to watch us dominate the early exchanges, with Notman forcing Esteban into making a good save on 2 minutes, and then again on 20 minutes. But Zubizarreta gives us fair warning four minutes later when he sizzles a shot into the side netting, but Bagnacani’s goal kick falls nicely for Brazilian midfielder Thiago Motta to take possession. He then manages to fend off Gershon and slam it home. icon_frown.gif Mantilla feeds Reyes on 27 minutes, but the winger can’t score his first goal for the club, with his header flying over the bar. The same thing happens to Motta on 31 minutes, and then Bagnacani pulls off a magnificent and crucial save to deny Raul Tamudo scoring what should have been a certain goal on 34 minutes. We pull it back to 1-1 apiece on 37 minutes when Reyes hits a tremendous 35 yard cross-field pass for Redondo to control expertly, and the veteran striker turns his marker inside out before striking home from 30 yards! icon_biggrin.gif We almost take the lead on the stroke of half-time, but Clegg’s powerful header is tipped away by Esteban to preserve parity at the break.

But things begin badly in the second half with Bressán deflecting Zubizarreta’s free kick past Bagnacani into the back of our net on 55 minutes. icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif Again, Tamudo misses a gilt-edged chance two minutes later, and it turns out to be the crucial point in the match as on 68 minutes, Clegg follows up to blast home the rebound from Redondo’s shot! icon_smile.gif We seem to have confidence back, as Clegg drives Notman’s cross just wide on 78 minutes, then on 84 minutes, the Englishman tees up the Scot who finds the back of the net unerringly! icon_biggrin.gif Bagnacani saves from Cândido Costa at the start of injury time, but we almost make it 4-2 with Clegg forcing a fine save from Esteban to finish the game.

It’s our first win in the league since we beat Celta Vigo 2-0 on the road back on the 29th of November 2009, so it’s great to break the spell! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Espanyol (5-3-2): Esteban; Juanma, Wang (Garmendia 55), Maínz, Rodrigo, Cuevas; Cândido Costa, Thiago Motta, Peloca; Tamudo, Zubizarreta ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Mantilla, Gershon (Lasa 64), Smith, Bressán; Mason; Reyes, Garrido © (Kortina 64); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Espanyol 2:3 Cartagonova

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

We move up to second on the ladder, equal on points with new league leader Barcelona and third-placed Atlético Madrid. Numancia and Deportivo La Coruña are only a point behind in fourth and fifth places, respectively.

With the first round of the new year completed, managers are coming under intense scrutiny by the fans and the media. With their heads on the chopping block are Señor Ottmar Hitzfeld, given the vote of confidence by the board of Villarreal, and rumours from Celta Vigo and Real Madrid that they are shortlisting possible replacements for Señor Eusebio and Señor César García García respectively.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Are you waiting for more of Cartagonova? Well, wait no more!

4th of January 2010

Gary Mason is lavishly praised by planetfootball.com, and my careful response in agreeing with the praise is in turn lapped up by the fans and the chairman of the club. I try to take advantage of his newfound happiness with the club to offer him a contract extension, but through his agent, the Scottish international midfielder rebuffs my opening offer.

5th of January 2010

Least, I thought Mason did rebuff my gambit, but it seemed that sleeping on the offer was enough to change the Scot’s mind, and this evening I’m proud to announce to the media that Mason signed a three year extension worth approximately £4 million.

6th of January 2010

I reject an offer of £7.75 million as totally unacceptable from Inter Milan for Alex Notman. If I had a quid for every offer I rejected for this mercurial striker, I would be able to pay for Mason’s new contract out of my own pocket. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ajax Amsterdam triumph 3-1 over River Plate on home soil in the opening game of the FIFA Club World Championship. Paulo Miranda scored River Plate’s only goal on the stroke of half-time, but Ajax were just too good.

Copa del Rey - 2nd Round: Novelda v Cartagonova

With an eye towards Sunday’s game against Mallorca and the need to rest key players after a tiring game against Espanyol, I swing the changes for our game against Segunda Liga B club Novelda. Lasa replaces Gershon in defence; Owen takes on the defensive midfield/anchor role in place of Mason; Djordjic replaces Reyes on the left; Kortina takes Clegg’s position behind the new strike force of Moedim Júnior and Samba.

But I’m screaming at my players when Bagnacani’s poor kick from an off-side decision allows the evergreen and always-dangerous Freddy Grisales to bang the ball past the Italian keeper for a goal after just 180 seconds of football. icon_mad.gif We look to respond almost immediately with Djordjic testing Izquierdo on 7 minutes, but the keeper does well to save from the Swede’s shot. Moedim Júnior finds enough space five minutes later to try his luck, but again for no reward as Izquierdo holds on comfortably. Garrido looks to lead by example on 14 minutes, but he receives no reward either. Bagnacani is called into action on 22 minutes by Carrasco who slips his marker just long enough to try a shot on goal, and then the Italian falls gratefully on the ball as Carrasco tries to set up Mena. Grisales tries to repeat his trick shot on 24 minutes, but fails to make accurate contact, but Mena should have done better when he tries his luck. Djordjic forces a corner on 27 minutes, but Mantilla is yet to connect properly with one, and Novelda defend easily. With time beginning to run out towards half-time, Moedim Júnior hits a lovely dipping shot but it unfortunately clips the top of the bar and goes over. icon_frown.gif He then proceeds to hit the post on 40 minutes, but finally, on 43 minutes, he finds the back of the net when he powerfully heads home Mantilla’s delightfully flighted cross. We’re still not free of danger just yet as Bressán’s push on Carrasco allows Grisales to line up the angles, and Bagnacani manages to save the Colombian’s free kick.

The Colombian advances forward three minutes into the second half, but Bagnacani parries his shot away for the cost of a corner, which Mena heads out for a goal kick. With an hour on the clock, I pull off Smith and Djordjic, replacing them with Gershon and Juan Hernández. But Grisales is the best player on the pitch at the moment, and he continues to pull the strings, finding Carrasco who sizzles a shot inches wide on 65 minutes. icon_eek.gif Samba and Hernández then force a great double save from Izquierdo and it looks like it will be one of those days, especially when Garrido is forced from the field with injury on 68 minutes. Grisales takes a free kick, which Bagnacani saves, but suddenly everybody’s attention is diverted towards former Real Betis youngster Antonio Estévez who, without provocation, aimed a kick at José Manuel Lasa. Even before he has his foot on the ground, he turns around and walks off, with the referee showing a red card to his back. To their credit, the sudden personnel disadvantage doesn’t deter Novelda from seeking an unlikely winner, but with Grisales losing his stamina and failing to make accurate contact, Novelda fritter away their chances. On 83 minutes, we hit the winning goal through Juan Hernández, having a great season to date, even though he can’t break into the first team. Moedim Júnior caps a great debut with the icing on the cake on 92 minutes with his second goal of the game, but the score-line of 3-1 in our favour is a little too flattering, I must admit.

Novelda (3-5-2): Izquierdo; Amarilla (Terzi 84), Gaspar ©, Manzano; Rochi, Osorio, Grisales, Gago, Estévez (s/o 68); Mena, Carrasco (Medina 84).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Mantilla, Lasa, Smith (Gershon 60), Bressán; Owen; Djordjic (Hernández 60), Garrido © (Clegg 68); Kortina, Moedim Júnior, Samba.

Final score: Novelda 1:3 Cartagonova

MoM - José Marío Moedim Júnior

The passage through to the third round is bought at the cost of a month-long calf strain to Jaime Garrido, but with Kortina and Muslimovic now in the squad, I think I have sufficient cover for him.

In other results from the Copa Del Rey, it wasn’t a great day for the Primera Liga clubs. Celta Vigo needed extra time to overcome Segunda Liga Córdoba 3-2 away from home. Extremadura, in the Segunda Liga, upset Real Sociedad on penalties after they finished 0-0. Gandía held Numancia to a 1-1 draw and then defeated the Primera Liga club on penalties. Racing Santander defeated Atlético Madrid 2-0, which will no doubt improve morale at the Segunda Liga club. Valencia lost 1-0 to Segunda Liga Recreativo, while Real Betis slumped to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Segunda Liga B Segoviana. Finally, Segunda Liga Real Zaragoza came up trumps 2-1 over Deportivo La Coruña.

8th of January 2010

Numancia tries to tempt me with an offer of £1.9 million for Palomino, over 18 months. I reject the offer.

We draw Éjica in the third round of the Copa del Rey, with the first leg to be played at Municipal San Pablo, next Wednesday, 13th of January 2010.

The Spanish media this evening think that Barcelona has what it takes to go all the way this season and bring the championship back to the Catalan region for the first time in four seasons. I, of course, beg to differ.

9th of January 2010

I wake up this morning when Luis Sosa phones me to tell me that apparently, Real Vallodolid has offered José María Lacruz a contract to move when his current Cartagonova expires in the summer. I authorise Sosa to offer Lacruz a slightly improved contract.

Real Sociedad and Hércules share the points in an exciting 4-4 draw today at the Anoeta. Pablo Muñiz puts the visitors ahead on 11 minutes, only for Joseba Llorente to bring Real Sociedad level two minutes later. But Muñiz gives Hércules the lead for the second time on 16 minutes, which is extended from the penalty spot by Cácares Cañete on 29 minutes. Llorente makes it 3-2 on 34 minutes, but when Muñiz completes his hat-trick on 63 minutes, the points look safe for the visitors. However, Rodrigo bobs up with a penalty conversion on 81 minutes, and the equaliser in injury time to finish an exciting game.

10th of January 2010

Primera Liga - Game 17: Mallorca v Cartagonova

Finally, we play a game I can be happy with. It begins shakily with Donald Stewart testing Vidal as early as the second minute, but the returning captain saves well at the cost of a corner. Alexandre’s corner is headed towards goal by Tena, but his shot drifts wide. On 7 minutes, Notman jinks past Tena but clips the bar with a powerful drive. Four minutes later, Muslimovic finally tests Mallorca’s keeper, Veiga, for the first time and we obtain a corner, which Cabrera can’t quite orchestrate correctly. On 17 minutes, Notman heads the ball towards goal, but he misses by a mile. icon_frown.gif Notman tries to set up Clegg on 22 minutes, but the attacking midfielder can’t beat Veiga. We have another corner on 33 minutes, which Cabrera swings out from goal to Notman, who knocks it down for Mason to sweep home! icon_smile.gif Notman should have doubled our lead on 37 minutes, but can’t convert Reyes’ excellent cross, and again Notman misses another chance on the stroke of half-time to waste Reyes’ great work. Clegg forces Veiga into making a fantastic save at the end of the half, but we go into the break satisfied at the moment.

It looks so much better when on 48 minutes, Mantilla crosses into the box, looking for Notman, who doesn’t let us down this time, when he beats out Pedro Emanuel to score our second goal of the game! icon_biggrin.gif Mallorca keep trying, but don’t have the quality to really test us, and we wrap things up in injury time when after a succession of shots at Veiga’s goal, Notman again out-jumps Emanuel to head home Cabrera’s corner! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Mallorca (3-5-2): Veiga ©; Pedro Emanuel, Stewart (Lauren 91), Tena; Cárdenas, Redondo (del Piero 65), Castillo, Alexandre, Tamandi; Losada, Michel.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Gershon, Smith, Cabrera; Mason; Reyes, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Mallorca 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

The 3-0 victory pleases the board of directors no end, and also puts us back on top of the pile, by two points from Valencia. A host of clubs, from Numancia in third to Real Madrid in seventh, have 33 points.

Notman is named on the bench for the team of the week.

11th of January 2010

If I were César Rubio, I would sack his agent for giving him bad advice, because he picks Numancia over ten other clubs, including Cartagonova, with the major reason being given as the opportunity to play in Europe. Um, excuse me? icon_biggrin.gif

12th of January 2010

Signor Víctor Fernández pays the equal second highest transfer fee in history to bring the powerful Swedish international forward Hector Cures from Juventus for the astonishing fee of £39 million. Only the transfer fee of £42 million paid by Signor Oscar Ruggeri of AC Milan for Emanuele Calaiò from Torino tops that, while Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer signed Matteo Brighi from Juventus for £39 million.

Señor Serra Ferrer announces today that Spanish international midfielder Diego will join Barcelona next season on a Bosman free transfer from Racing Santander. Diego was courted by ten other clubs, including my own.

13th of January 2010

I reject a £3 million offer from Valencia for Gary Mason, and a £3 million bid over six months from Servette for José Manuel Lasa. I also find out on the club’s grape-vine that José María Lacruz is now courted by Badajoz and Real Oviedo.

Copa del Rey - 3rd Round, 1st leg: Éjica v Cartagonova

Again, I put out a virtual second eleven to take on the Segunda Liga B club, but this time, there is no doubt about our dominance in this game. It takes us some time to get started, with Sabino missing an early chance on 7 minutes, and then we lose Mantilla to injury on 26 minutes. But Moedim Júnior puts us ahead on 29 minutes when he latches onto the pass of Cabrera and lashes it past the opponent’s keeper. Djordjic then is forced from the field on 31 minutes, but it doesn’t stop Moedim Júnior trying to add to his tally. Still, we head into the break just one goal ahead.

The second half is a much more enjoyable affair, although Vidal makes an early save on 49 minutes to stop Méndez scoring. However, on 51 minutes, Juan Hernández hits a wonderful pass forward for Moedim Júnior to smash past the Éjica keeper from 25 yards! icon_smile.gif The Brazilian striker completes his hat-trick on 67 minutes, taking Owen’s pass in his stride, sidestepping Rubén and then blasting home from the edge of the box! icon_cool.gif Yet, he isn’t quite finished yet, because on 75 minutes, he takes control of the free kick earned by Samba, and puts it in the top right corner out of reach of the keeper for his fourth goal! icon_biggrin.gif In injury time at the end of the game, Juan Hernández adds the finishing touch of a fifth goal, heading home Owen’s intelligent pass! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif But the game belongs to Moedim Júnior and he appropriately souvenirs the match ball, and I decide the best way to persuade him to join permanently! Not since Fernando Morán scored all four goals in our 4-2 win over Villarreal back on the 25th of January 2006 has an individual scored four goals in the one match!

Éjica (4-4-2): Alonso; Dorado, Márquez, Camus (Rubén 55), Ismael; Kmet, Peña, Esteve, Méndez (Ãngel López 55); Muñiz, Ramírez ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla (Lacruz 26), Loughran, Lasa, Cabrera; Owen; Djordjic (Rønning 31), Kortina; Hernández; Moedim Júnior, Sabino (Samba 73).

Final score: Éjica 0:5 Cartagonova

MoM - José Marío Moedim Júnior

Mantilla will miss three weeks of football after straining his groin, while Djordjic is out for a month with a hamstring injury.

Valencia announce in the evening, after the game, that English international defender Izzy Iriekpen has moved to Bari for £12.75 million, plus another £600,000 after 20 league appearances.

In the meantime, Ghanaian international midfielder Stephen Appiah moves to AC Milan from Parma for £16.25 million.

I miss out on signing Swedish youngster Tomas Martinsson. The AIK defensive midfielder chooses Middlesbrough, instead.

14th of January 2010

Porto thrash River Plate 4-1 in the play-off for third place in the FIFA Club World Championship in Rotterdam. Carlos Tévez puts River Plate ahead on 12 minutes, but England’s own Trevor Benjamin equalised on 18 minutes. Johan Tainio makes it 2-1 to Porto on 31, and Benjamin makes it 3-1 three minutes before half-time. Porto ends the contest with a goal to Rogério on 52 minutes.

In front of a parochial home crowd, Ajax Amsterdam defeats Roma 2-1. Patrick Kluivert scores twice on 14 and 34 minutes, and Christer George’s 54th minute goal isn’t good enough. Roma was hampered by the red card dismissal of Vicente on 2 minutes.

In the evening, Real Sociedad announces that it has signed Barcelona Argentine midfielder Juan Carlos Falcón for £9.5 million.

In the meantime, some idiot journalist combined with a fool of a sub-editor puts out the story in Glaswegian newspapers that Rangers will sign Sabino for the astonishing amount of £32.5 million! icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif I don’t quite know how to take this story - Sabino is a valued member of the squad, though he hasn’t played often too recently, but that amount of money is obscene! But in the end I decide to deny the story.

16th of January 2010

The winter transfer period in Spain closes, so let’s briefly look at the transfer activity of the twenty clubs in the Primera Liga, beginning with my very own Cartagonova:

In

Enrique Kortina (20 y/o, ESP, AM/F RLC) from Celta Vigo for £3.5 million

Francisco José Mantilla (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D L) from Real Betis for £1.6 million

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 1 goal, AM L) from Real Betis for £4.1 million

José Marío Moedim Júnior (22 y/o, BRA, S C) from Villarreal on loan

Out

Amoroso (35 y/o, BRA 90 caps, 34 goals, F LC) to Boca Juniors for £240,000

Claudio López (35 y/o, ARG 80 caps, 15 goals, AM/F LC) to FC Köln for £230,000

For Valencia, the winter transfer dealings include the following:

In

Francisco Javier Farinós (31 y/o, ESP 9 caps, AM R) from Real Betis for £1.1 million

Gustavo Miguel Puchol (25 y/o, BOL 13 caps, 5 goals, S C) from The Strongest for £1.4 million

Joakim Moberg (24 y/o, SWE, GK) from Getafe for £1.1 million

Yossi Benayoun (29 y/o, ISR 72 caps, 14 goals, AM RLC) from Osasuna for £1.5 million

Out

Hugo Leal (29 y/o, POR 54 caps, 9 goals, AM C) to Atlético Madrid for £6 million

Izzy Iriekpen (27 y/o, ENG 31 caps, 2 goals, D C) to Bari for £12.75 million

Juan Viveros (29 y/o, CHI 29 caps, 1 goal, AM R) to Levante on loan

Guly (35 y/o, ARG 7 caps, D/DM/F RL) to Salamanca on loan

Over at Numancia, what have they done?

In

None

Out

Albert Velasco (24 y/o, ESP, M RL) to Gimnástica for £200,000

Óscar (33 y/o, ESP, F LC) to Extremadura for £475,000

Gustvavo (34 y/o, ESP, D LC) to Gimnástica for £100,000

Nacho (30 y/o, ESP, M LC) to Levante on loan

Aitor Castillo (22 y/o, ESP, AM RC) to Jaén on loan

Ricardo Manzano (19 y/o, ESP, D C) to Novelda on loan

José Manuel Izquierdo (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F RL) to Leganés on loan

They’ve been busy at Barcelona:

In

Emanuele Calaiò (28 y/o, ITA 42 caps, 16 goals, S C) from AC Milan for £36.5 million

Gabriel Milito (29 y/o, ARG 23 caps, D C) from Feyenoord for £13 million

David (28 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) from Getafe for £775,000

Beto (33 y/o, POR 68, 4 goals, D C) from Benfica for £1.4 million

Salomon Olembé (29 y/o, CAM 47 caps, 7 goals, D/DM LC) from Getafe for £3.4 million

Kim Källström (27 y/o, SWE 5 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C) from Deportivo La Coruña for £10.25 million

Out

Alex (32 y/o, BRA 92 caps, 12 goals, AM LC) to Porto for £6 million

Juan Carlos Falcón (30 y/o, ARG 28 caps, 3 goals, M RLC) to Real Sociedad for £9.5 million

What have they done at Deportivo La Coruña?

In

Claudio Páez (29 y/o, ARG, D RC) from Lanús for £425,000

Out

Daniel Cuesta (21 y/o, ESP, D L) to Sevilla for £1.1 million

Jesús Garmendia (27 y/o, ESP, D C) to Espanyol for £1.1 million

Kim Källström (27 y/o, SWE 5 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C) to Barcelona for £10.25 million

Johann Vogel (32 y/o, SUI 101 caps, 7 goals, DM C) to Pontevedra for £325,000

Jesús (33 y/o, ESP, GK) to Linares on loan

In the meantime, at Atlético Madrid:

In

Hugo Leal (29 y/o, POR 54 caps, 9 goals, AM C) from Valencia for £6 million

Dung Gook Lee (30 y/o, KOR 30 caps, 14 goals, S C) from Salamanca for £1.1 million

Out

Juan Carlos Ruiz Díaz (29 y/o, PAR 39 caps, 5 goals, M LC) to Sevilla for £1.6 million

Mauro Camoranesi (33 y/o, ARG, AM RLC) to Móstoles for £160,000

Francisco Javier Olmo (24 y/o, ESP, D/M RL) to Tenerife on loan

Zyad Jusic (29 y/o, BOS 43 caps, 4 goals, AM/L) to Rayo Vallecano on loan

What about at Real Madrid?

In

Souza (27 y/o, BRA 11 caps, 3 goals, S C) from Vasco da Gama for £15.5 million

Jorge (33 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) from Racing Santander for £1.5 million

Out

Mario Turdó (31 y/o, ARG, S C) to Paris-Saint-Germain for £9.5 million

Kevin Franck (25 y/o, BEL 11 caps, 4 goals, AM C) to Villarreal for £2.4 million

José María Chatruc (33 y/o, ARG 17 caps, 3 goals, AM/F R) to Lazio for £1.2 million

At Real Betis:

In

Ãlvaro (32 y/o, BRA 22 caps, SW/D C) from Grêmio on Bosman free transfer

Daniel Saavedra (18 y/o, ESP, GK) from Linense for £275,000

Gonçalves (23 y/o, POR, GK) from Villarreal for £450,000

Out

Francisco José Mantilla (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D L) to Cartagonova for £1.6 million

Francisco Javier Farinós (31 y/o, ESP 9 caps, AM R) to Valencia for £1.1 million

Neider Morantes (34 y/o, COL 45 caps, 8 goals, M C) to Osasuna for £240,000

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 1 goal, AM L) to Cartagonova for £4.1 million

Mario (29 y/o, ESP, AM L) to Levante on loan

Juan Carlos Soler (21 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Las Palmas on loan

Diego Benítez (21 y/o, ESP, DM RC) to Salamanca on loan

At Espanyol:

In

Jesús Garmendia (27 y/o, ESP, D C) from Deportivo La Coruña for £1.1 million

Paul Marney (27 y/o, ENG, AM RC) from QPR for £975,000

Ãngel Morales (34 y/o, ESP 11 caps, DM C) on free transfer

Raul De Graaf (25 y/o, SUR 4 caps, AM/F L) from Real Zaragoza for £1 million

Out

None

At Real Sociedad:

In

Anders Roos (20 y/o, SWE, D LC) from Malmö FF for £200,000

Juan Carlos Falcón (30 y/o, ARG 28 caps, 3 goals, M RLC) from Barcelona for £9.5 million

Out

Samuel Slovak (34 y/o, SLO 62 caps, 5 goals, D/DM RL) to Málaga on loan

In the meantime, Osasuna has wheeled and dealed:

In

Javi Navarro (35 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) on free transfer

Neider Morantes (34 y/o, COL 45 caps, 8 goals, M C) from Real Betis for £240,000

Dimitar Ivanov (35 y/o, BUL 48 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C) from Sporting Gijón for £110,000

Clarence Acuña (34 y/o, CHI 96 caps, 11 goals, AM RC) on free transfer

Joaquín Moso (31 y/o, ESP, GK) from Recreativo for £250,000

Out

Yossi Benayoun (29 y/o, ISR 72 caps, 14 goals, AM RLC) to Valencia for £1.5 million

Pablo Trobbiani (33 y/o, ESP, M C) to Las Palmas on loan

Vlado Schmidt (29 y/o, YUG, AM LC) to Tenerife on loan

Zuhaitz Gurrutxaga (29 y/o, ESP, D C) to Don Benito on loan

Carlos Bravo (24 y/o, ESP, AM RC) to Burriana on loan

Let’s take a look at Sporting Gijón’s progress recently:

In

Hideaki Ueno (28 y/o, JAP, GK) from Linares for £100,000

Sebastián Avalos (20 y/o, ARG, AM C) from Pvo Almería for £210,000

Out

Dimitar Ivanov (35 y/o, BUL 48 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C) to Osasuna for £110,000

Dixie Flatline

Let's keep the flame alive, shall we!

Over at the island resort club of Mallorca:

In

Iván Alonso (30 y/o, URU 16 caps, 1 goal, S C) from Nürnberg for £425,000

Alessandro del Piero (35 y/o, ITA 38 caps, 11 goals, AM/F LC) on free transfer

Antonio Redondo (19 y/o, ESP, DM C) from Ferrol for £275,000

Manuel Tena (33 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) from Getafe for £375,000

Donald Stewart (34 y/o, JAM 51 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C) on free transfer

Andreas Voss (30 y/o, GER 2 caps, 1 goal, DM C) from DC United for £190,000

Sergio (31 y/o, ESP, AM RC) from Córdoba on loan

Out

Javier Rivas (23 y/o, ESP, D C) to Sabadell for £375,000

Sergio Santamaría (29 y/o, ESP, AM/F R) to Badajoz on loan

It seems that Alavés has brought out the cheque book in the winter:

In

Ikem Sudy (28 y/o, NIG 71 caps, 2 goals, SW/D/DM C) from Pogon for £625,000

Antonis Ladakis (27 y/o, GRE 2 caps, 1 goal, DM C) from Badajoz for £800,000

Joseph Addo (26 y/o, GHA, AM L) from Las Palmas for £700,000

Juan Fuentes (22 y/o, ESP, D R) from Bolton for £450,000

Out

Marcelo de Souza (34 y/o, URU 20 caps, DM RC) to Sevilla for £275,000

Will Hércules spend up big in the winter?

In

Pablo Muñiz (19 y/o, ESP, S C) from Salamanca for £1.5 million

Out

Juan Carlos Castro (23 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Sevilla for £1.1 million

Juan José Méndez (19 y/o, ESP, D LC) to Leganés on loan

Iñaki Muñoz (22 y/o, ESP, M RL) to Rayo Vallecano on loan

Ignacio Fuentes (21 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Caudal on loan

José Manuel Casado (20 y/o, ESP, AM RC) to Caudal on loan

Francisco Pons (20 y/o, ESP, DM C) to Caudal on loan

Nando (28 y/o, ESP, AM RC) to Hospitalet on loan

Compostela have been very busy in the marketplace:

In

Bradley Carnell (32 y/o, RSA 58 caps, 1 goal, D/DM L) on free transfer

Walter Jiménez (32 y/o, ARG, F RLC) from Sevilla for £350,000

Ariel Rosada (31 y/o, ARG, M C) from Talleres on Bosman free transfer

Fernando Horácio Avalos (31 y/o, ARG, SW/D C) from Corinthians on Bosman free transfer

Ivan Dudic (32 y/o, YUG 53 caps, D R) from Vitória Guimarães for £250,000

Christoffer Källkvist (26 y/o, SWE, GK) from Getafe for £80,000

Out

Roman Tyce (32 y/o, CZE 20 caps, DM LC) to Málaga for £140,000

Javier Dorado (32 y/o, ESP, D L) to Éjica for £210,000

At Villarreal, things are becoming tense as they deal with the possibility of relegation:

In

Francisco Javier González Pérez (20 y/o, ESP, AM/F L) from Toledo for £400,000

Kevin Franck (25 y/o, BEL 11 caps, 4 goals, AM C) from Real Madrid for £2.4 million

Out

Unai (32 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Athletic Bilbao for £275,000

Muñiz (25 y/o, ESP, S C) to Éjica for £1.1 million

Jesuli (31 y/o, ESP, AM C) to Móstoles for £450,000

Ãñigo Carrasco (18 y/o, ESP, GK) to Elche for £500,000

Gonçalves (23 y/o, POR, GK) to Real Betis for £450,000

Marco Schmidt (20 y/o, GER, D RC) to Hospitalet on loan

Christian Callejas (31 y/o, URU 43 caps, 5 goals, DM R) to Burgos on loan

Raúl Román (20 y/o, ESP, S C) to Yeclano on loan

José Marío Moedim Júnior (22 y/o, BRA, S C) to Cartagonova on loan

Emilio Blanco (20 y/o, ESP, S C) to Sanse on loan

Manuel de la Cruz (24 y/o, ESP, D R) to Peña Sport on loan

At the half-way mark of the season, I bet Celta Vigo didn’t expect to find itself in the relegation zone, but that’s where it is:

In

None

Out

Enrique Kortina (20 y/o, ESP, AM/F RLC) to Cartagonova for £3.5 million

Real Vallodolid needs to get a hurry on in order to escape relegation:

In

Eros Pérez (33 y/o, CHI 73 caps, 3 goals, D L) from Platense for £240,000

Dani Roiz (29 y/o, ESP, GK) from Real Zaragoza for £1.1 million

Óscar López (20 y/o, ESP, D/DM L) from Éjica for £250,000

Tom Peeters (31 y/o, BEL, 31 caps, 5 goals, M C) from Ourense for £775,000

Mamic (31 y/o, HSV 3 caps, D LC) from Varteks for £275,000

Leo (30 y/o, ESP, D R) from Getafe for £350,000

José (31 y/o, ESP, GK) from Palamós for £150,000

Out

Arias (19 y/o, ESP, GK) to Hospitalet on loan

If it’s bad at Real Vallodolid, it’s worse at the bottom club in the league, Elche:

In

Juan Carlos Fernández García (17 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC) from Toledo for £650,000

Ãñigo Carrasco (18 y/o, ESP, GK) from Villarreal for £500,000

Out

None

In the afternoon game, Barcelona draws level on points with us after belting Hércules 4-1 despite losing a man to the red card on 50 minutes. Lorenzo Ruiz gets the ball rolling for Barcelona on 2 minutes, and then the veteran Juan Sebastián Verón makes it 2-0 then 3-0 by 8 minutes, and Lorenzo Ruiz scores Barcelona’s fourth goal on 16 minutes. Hércules pulls a goal back from the penalty spot with a successful conversion by Alonso, and Maldonado is sent off for Barcelona on 50 minutes. But Hércules are also reduced to ten men when former Cartagonova midfielder Jesús tries the ‘hard stuff’ once too often and is sent off for his troubles.

17th of January 2010

Primera Liga - Game 18: Osasuna v Cartagonova

We are off to a great start when after just two minutes, Notman heads home Muslimovic’s clever cross past Andrés Palop! icon_smile.gif Nine minutes later, we make it 2-0 when Reyes finds Redondo in the area who shrugs off Samuel Kuffour and smashes home a great shot! icon_biggrin.gif But we’re pegged back almost immediately when Bulgarian veteran Dimitar Ivanov finds a way past Clegg and lashes home from 35 yards. icon_frown.gif Iván Vidal then saves from Peralta on 18 minutes, and then again from Kuffour’s volley a moment later. With 20 minutes on the clock, Gary Mason skims his shot along the top of the bar, and from the resulting goal kick, Clegg finds Redondo unmarked, but the veteran striker can’t give us a 3-1 lead. Reyes finds enough space from Cabrera’s corner on 40 minutes to head towards goal, but unfortunately, it isn’t accurate and on half-time Osasuna miss two clear-cut opportunities to draw level.

Eight minutes into the second half, Reyes advances with the ball at his feet, but his banana shot ricochets back into play from the bottom of the post, but we should have done much better on 57 minutes when Palop trips up Redondo in the box. Palop is shown a yellow card and it obviously spurs him on to pull off a great save from Redondo’s penalty attempt. icon_mad.gif Notman almost makes amends on 58 minutes with a great dipping volley, but Palop is inspired and pulls off another brilliant save. icon_frown.gif Not to be outdone, Vidal does well to save from Sabolcki on the hour mark, but we make the points safe when on 69 minutes, Mason finds Muslimovic and the Bosnian midfielder takes a shot from 25 yards and nails it! icon_smile.gif To their credit, Osasuna don’t give up knocking on the door, but Vidal is there to stop us leaking a second goal, and in the end it could have been a bigger victory, but for another good Palop save from Redondo on 77 minutes.

Osasuna (3-5-2): Palop; Julio Navarro, Javi Navarro, Kuffour; Vítor Lima, Acuña (Celades 54), Herrero ©, Morantes (Karagounis 61), Sabolcki; Peralta, Ivanov.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Cabrera; Mason; Reyes, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Osasuna 1:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Fernando Herrero

We therefore maintain our three point gap at the top of the ladder, but Real Madrid is the big winner from the weekend, leaping up to third after thrashing Deportivo La Coruña 4-0 at the Santiago Bernabéu.

Muslimovic and Reyes are named in the team of the week.

After the game, José María Lacruz decides that it is time to move on, and he agrees to a Bosman free transfer to Real Vallodolid in the summer. He will probably therefore play in the Segunda Liga, since Real Vallodolid are struggling in the relegation zone currently. He’s been a great servant for the club since joining back at the end of the 2002/03 season for £1 million from Athletic Bilbao.

19th of January 2010

I’m presented in the morning with a written offer of £7.5 million over six months plus £2.8 million after 20 league games by Espanyol for Alex Notman. I reject the offer.

20th of January 2010

After being rebuffed over Notman, Espanyol switch their attention to Sabino, offering me £7 million over six months for the 31 year old Spanish international. I’m very tempted by this offer. After all, Sabino has not really been first choice this season and he won’t be any younger next season. I think it’s a very good piece of business, and it would mean that I’ve made £7.3 million profit on him in the two stints he has spent here.

Copa del Rey - 3rd Round, 2nd Leg: Cartagonova v Éjica

I name again a virtual second string eleven and this time, they play like it. We don’t have a shot at goal at all in the first 45 minutes, and it isn’t until the 55th minute that we actually test our opponent’s keeper. By rights, we should have been a goal or so down by the break, with Éjica determined to give a good account of themselves at the home of the Spanish champion. Indeed, they take the lead from a corner when Esteve heads home Peña’s corner, but a moment later, we’re back level when Juan Hernández waltzes through Éjica’s defence to score off the inside of the post. We lose Anthony Loughran to an injury late in the game, but with a 5-0 lead going into the second leg, this game was always going to be an anti-climax, and that’s why less than 9,000 turn up tonight.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Lasa (Lauret 80), Loughran (Smith 87), Cabrera; Kortina, Verón, Muslimovic; Hernández; Moedim Júnior (Owen 80), Samba.

Éjica (4-4-2): Alonso; Dorado, Márquez, Camus, Ismael (Gómez 62); Kmet, Peña, Esteve (Iraola 80), Méndez; Brazenas, Ramírez ©.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Éjica

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 6:1 Éjica

MoM - Santiago Márquez

In other games, Barcelona scores a 3-0 aggregate victory over Segunda Liga’s Recreativo, while Celta Vigo and Racing Santander draw 0-0 to allow Racing Santander to advance with a 3-1 aggregate victory. Compostela defeat Marino 3-0 at home to go through to the quarter-finals 4-1. Espanyol, Extremadura, Villarreal and Real Zaragoza all notch 1-0 victories over Elche, Gandía, Athletic Bilbao and Segoviana respectively, but Villarreal’s win wasn’t good enough to overtake Athletic Bilbao who go through 2-1 on aggregate.

Ottmar Hitzfeld is sacked by Villarreal’s chairman Señor Fernando Roig.

21st of January 2010

Sabino agrees personal terms with Espanyol, and he will move to Barcelona’s second team in the summer.

22nd of January 2010

Elche makes an offer of £3.6 million over 18 months for Gary Mason. I respond by demanding £5 million over 18 months plus £9 million-rated Oscar Mascorro, a Mexican international capable of playing in defence or as a striker.

We draw Real Zaragoza in the quarter-finals of the Copa Del Rey, with the first leg to played at La Romareda on the 3rd of February 2010.

23rd of January 2010

Gary Mason reveals in an interview with a Madrid-based newspaper that he wants to move to Villarreal in a move worth £1.2 million. I’m shocked and disappointed to read this in print, but Mason confirms to me over the phone that the story is a beat-up and he’s settled at Cartagonova. I should think so, because nobody should be stupid enough to publicly announce that he wants to leave the league leader and defending champion for a manager-less club bound for relegation!

24th of January 2010

Elche gives up on Gary Mason.

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vexaz:

Aslong as you keep writing then I will keep smiling icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Vexaz! icon_smile.gif I'm doing my best to keep writing, but I haven't had a chance to play the game this week, so no updates for a while yet, I'm afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

A little more from down the south of Spain to keep you all going!

24th of January 2010 (cont.)

Primera Liga - Game 19: Cartagonova v Sporting Gijón

The game is largely forgettable, so I won’t subject you all to the torture of the long stretches in the game where nothing happens. Our opponents clearly come with a point as their main aim, and if either Rubén, Hernández or Pavlovich (as a substitute) sneak a goal to set up a win, so much the better. We don’t really create much of note until Enrique Kortina comes on after 68 minutes, and his sheer enthusiasm for the game inspires the players around him. The winning goal comes late in the game when Mason and Cabrera combine for the latter to set up Notman, and even though the Scottish striker had missed a few earlier, he doesn’t miss this one and we hold on to the lead after Hernández misses terribly in injury time.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Cabrera; Reyes, Mason, Muslimovic (Kortina 68); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Sporting Gijón (5-3-2): Sergio; Gerbaudo, Sergio, Nakazawa, Damiani, Luque; Samper (Silva 91), Edgar (Avalos 68), Babangida; Rubén (Pavlovich 62), Hernández.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Sporting Gijón

MoM - Raúl Damiani (they had to give it to somebody)

The good news is that we hold a five point lead at the top of the ladder with half the league season gone. The bad news is that a card-happy referee dished out a yellow card to Martin Smith, his fifth for the season, so the Danish defender will miss our trip to Madrid to play Atlético.

Still, on the whole a good day, as I manage to convince young Brazilian striker José Marío Moedim Júnior to join Cartagonova at the end of the season, so as the rest of the season to acclimatise to working with the Spanish champion.

27th of January 2010

Primera Liga - Game 20: Atlético Madrid v Cartagonova

Against a club looking to move into the top three and at the intimidating Estadio de Vicente Calderon, it’s important to get off to a good start, but we fail to make any type of impact in the first stage of the match. Further, with the dangerous Sene Djaló leading the lines for our host, it’s important that Gershon and Lasa deal with his threat, so I’m not happy when the Guinea-Bissau striker finds enough space to test Vidal from the edge of the box, but our captain does well to deny our hosts’ captain. Unfortunately, despite some good work from Kortina, we can’t keep possession and soon Hugo Leal has possession, but the Portuguese midfielder’s low shot drifts wide, to my great relief. Eventually we put together an attacking move on 29 minutes which culminates in the veteran Redondo smashing a low drive towards Malkowski, but the Polish keeper doesn’t have any worries in dealing with that attempt. On 38 minutes he has to worry a little more as Notman out-jumps Boskovic to head Cabrera’s corner towards goal, but we can’t take the lead, and it turns out to be crucial as Atlético Madrid sweep the ball away, and using the counter-attacking tactics perfectly, Hugo Leal threads a ball through my defence into the path of Djaló, who breaks the off-side trap and slams home from just inside the box. icon_frown.gif We could have even been further behind but for a great reflex save from Vidal from Boskovic’s volley on 44 minutes, so I’m understandably not happy at the break.

So I’m very disappointed to see Vidal forced to bring down Sene Djaló for a penalty on 69 minutes when the Guinea-Bissau striker again finds space inside the area. Vidal walks for his foul and I’m forced to introduce Bagnacani into the play, sacrificing the ineffectual Juan Hernández just moments after I brought Moedim Júnior on for the tiring Redondo. Bagnacani can do nothing about Djaló’s excellent penalty and we’re staring down the barrel. But a valid penalty of our own would have helped, but the referee thinks Muslimovic dived when Flávio actually tackled him badly inside the area. icon_mad.gif We have some hope of rescuing a point when Flávio manages to deflect Notman’s pass, intended for Muslimovic, into his own net on 83 minutes, but in truth we are never in the hunt, and to top things off for a bad night, Muslimovic picks up an injury to end it. icon_frown.gif

Atlético Madrid (4-3-2-1): Malkowski; Di Tommaso, Samuel (Sagnol 78), Flávio, De la Rosa; Díaz (Lee 84), Gaizka Garitano, Romerito; Boskovic (Fiore 53), Hugo Leal; Djaló ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal © (s/o 69); Rønning, Gershon, Lasa, Cabrera; Mason; Kortina, Muslimovic; Hernández (Bagnacani 70); Redondo (Moedim Júnior 65), Notman.

Final score: Atlético Madrid 2:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Sene Djaló

In the meantime, Barcelona serves warning to everybody that they mean to reclaim the Primera Liga crown by thrashing struggling Celta Vigo 7-0 at the Nou Camp. Matteo Brighi led the way, with four goals (including two penalties), while Milito, Gerard and Ricardo Jorge also contributed. Surprisingly, Señor Eusebio, who was given the dreaded vote of confidence after a poor weekend performance, remains in his job, but surely only for the time being.

I give Iván Vidal an official warning for yet another red card this season. The captain acknowledges that he was in the wrong, but this is now happening too often to be acceptable, given that was his third red card of the season. The Spanish FA rubs him out for another two matches on top of his automatic suspension.

That was our twentieth game in the league, so the ladder looks like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Cartagonova 20 6 2 1 19 9 7 1 3 24 17 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Barcelona 20 6 2 1 24 7 6 2 3 30 14 40

3rd Numancia 21 8 2 0 25 11 3 5 3 22 23 40

4th Atlético Madrid 21 7 2 1 17 14 5 2 4 13 11 40

5th Real Madrid 20 8 1 2 33 20 3 2 4 12 11 36

6th Deportivo 21 8 1 1 20 7 3 2 6 17 26 36

7th Betis 21 7 3 0 22 8 3 2 6 11 15 35

8th Valencia 20 7 1 3 26 14 3 3 3 14 17 34

9th Espanyol 20 6 1 4 18 13 4 0 5 10 13 31

10th Real Sociedad 21 5 4 2 21 16 3 2 5 10 14 30

11th Sporting Gijón 21 4 4 3 12 13 2 3 5 12 17 25

12th Alavés 21 4 2 4 20 21 3 1 7 18 24 24

13th Mallorca 21 4 3 4 12 14 2 3 5 10 15 24

14th Osasuna 20 4 2 5 17 17 2 3 4 5 10 23

15th Compostela 20 3 2 4 10 11 2 3 6 9 15 20

16th Villarreal 20 5 2 4 15 13 0 2 7 7 21 19

17th Celta 20 1 4 4 6 9 3 2 6 8 19 18

18th Hércules 20 3 3 3 12 14 0 6 5 20 29 18

19th Elche 21 2 4 5 11 18 2 2 6 11 18 18

20th Valladolid 21 4 2 5 10 14 0 1 9 0 21 15

</pre>

As you can see, the loss was costly as it drags us back into the pack chasing us.

31st of January 2010

I turn down a bid of £7 million for George Clegg from Rangers.

Primera Liga - Game 21: Real Valladolid v Cartagonova

A game against the bottom club in the league is hopefully the tonic we need to bounce back after a disappointing game last time out. We start brilliantly when on 2 minutes Seifert clips the feet of Redondo in the penalty area and we have a penalty, which Redondo easily converts. Unfortunately, the referee doesn’t see fit to send off Seifert, but eight minutes later we have our second goal when Muslimovic slaloms his way through the Real Vallodolid defence and hits a fierce drive past Seifert! icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, we lose Cabrera to a pulled hamstring at the same time, which requires Andrés Bressán to come on at right back. Santamaría hits the post from distance on 21 minutes but on 32 minutes, Redondo almost has his second but for a great save from Seifert. Three minutes later, Juan Hernández tests Seifert’s reflexes but finds them good enough to stop the Spanish attacking midfielder adding to our lead. But on the break, we put together a great team move which culminates in Moedim Júnior, in for the rested Notman, tapping home from five yards to make me feel good at the break.

The second half begins with Bressán lucky not to give away a penalty, but on 53 minutes, Muslimovic sets the post aquivering with a thunderous drive. On the hour mark, Guerrero has the ball in our net, but it doesn’t count since the referee considers Santamaría off-side. To their credit, Real Vallodolid don’t give up but they do not have the quality to really threaten Bagnacani in our goal, and we run out a winners 3-0 in a good result.

Real Vallodolid (4-4-2): Seifert ©; Pérez, Mamic, Pérez Vargas, Leo; Djokaj, Pablo Box, Peeters, Quintana; Santamaría (Varela 72), Geurrero.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning, Gershon ©, Smith, Cabrera (Bressán 10); Mason; Reyes, Muslimovic; Hernández; Redondo, Moedim Júnior.

Final score: Real Vallodolid 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Gary Mason

The only downside to our victory is an injury to Cabrera that will keep him out for a month.

Simultaneously, Real Madrid thrash Elche 6-1 at home, while Real Sociedad also touch up Espanyol 5-0 at home, with Espanyol finishing with just nine men thanks to two red cards.

It’s a personal milestone for José Manuel Redondo, as he overtakes Iván Vidal in the league appearances stakes, appearing 248 times for Cartagonova in his illustrious career.

Dixie Flatline

• 2 weeks later...

Back with more from Cartagonova!

2nd of February 2010

The other piece of the puzzle in bringing Moedim Júnior falls into place as Ola Otfors-Palmqvist agrees terms with Villarreal.

I’m asked by UEFA to finalise my squad for the European Champions' League, which I do by taking out Ricardo Verón and Anthony Loughran. In come José Antonio Reyes, Enrique Kortina and Francisco José Mantilla:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): 370(1) apps, 421 conceded, 29 MoMs, av. rating: 7.27

Davide Bagnacani (30 y/o, ITA, GK): 11(4) apps, 14 conceded, av. rating: 7.33

Jesús Martínez (18 y/o, ESP, GK): 1 app, 2 conceded, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.00

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (32 y/o, ISR 58 aps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C): 214(5) apps, 8 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.17

Andrés Bressán (33 y/o, ARG 2 caps, D RLC): 21(2) apps, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.96

César Cabrera (24 y/o, 8 caps, D RL): 87(9) apps, 1 goal, 20 assists, av. rating: 6.76

José María Lacruz (31 y/o, ESP, D RL): 211(8) apps, 2 goals, 11 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63

Lilian Thuram (38 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC): 4(2) apps, av. rating: 6.50

Francisco José Mantilla (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D L): 6 apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.67

Per Vener Rønning (27 y/o, NOR 22 caps, 4 goals, D/DM/F LC): 59(24) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.92

Martin Smith (31 y/o, DEN 45 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 101(4) apps, 2 goals, 9 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.91

José Manuel Lasa (24 y/o, ESP, D C): 40(6) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.06

Midfielders

Gary Mason (30 y/o, SCO 6 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 29(1) apps, 10 goals, 9 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.73

Andy Owen (24 y/o, WAL 35 caps, 10 goals, DM/S C): 2(8) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.70

George Clegg (29 y/o, ENG 2 caps, AM/F RC): 208(25) apps, 63 goals, 52 assists, 16 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38

Jaime Garrido (25 y/o, ESP 22 caps, 11 goals, AM/F RLC): 118(18) apps, 25 goals, 31 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.48

Enrique Kortina (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F RLC): 4(3) apps, av. rating: 7.14

Zlatan Muslimovic (28 y/o, BOS 57 caps, 28 goals, AM/F RC): 31(8) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.08

Bojan Djordjic (27 y/o, SWE 18 caps, 1 goal, AM LC): 57(5) apps, 8 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 7.37

José Antonio Reyes (26 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 1 goal, AM L): 6 apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.17

Juan Hernández (24 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): 52(34) apps, 30 goals, 14 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.37

Forwards

Alex Notman (30 y/o, SCO 33 caps, 18 goals, AM/F C): 204(7) apps, 141 goals, 58 assists, 54 MoMs, av. rating: 8.13

José Manuel Redondo (33 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C): 336(12) apps, 189 goals, 85 assists, 51 MoMs, av. rating: 7.77

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 4 goals, S C): 26(11) apps, 10 goals, 7 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.41

Cherno Samba (24 y/o, ENG, S C): 7(14) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.95

3rd of February 2010

Copa del Rey - Quarter-Final, First Leg: Real Zaragoza v Cartagonova

Although Real Zaragoza are in the Segunda Liga, they boast a couple of dangerous strikers in Iván Kaviedes and Roberto, and it is the latter who gives our hosts a bright start after just four minutes. Redondo loses the ball to Castro’s tackle and Real Zaragoza then sweep the ball to Roberto who finds a way into the penalty box before unleashing a shot past Vidal. icon_frown.gif He misses a good chance on 14 minutes when he hits a shot over the bar, and then has a goal ruled out for off-side on 20 minutes against Kaviedes. By this time, I’m furious with my defenders, particularly Shimon Gershon, who should be keeping a much closer eye on the striker. What is the response? To let Roberto score his and Real Zaragoza’s second goal on 27 minutes when Funes cleverly puts the ball into space in front of the striker and he unhesitatingly drives it past Vidal. icon_mad.gif Kaviedes almost makes it 3-0 on 29 minutes but Smith has just enough pressure on the Ecuadoran to stop him from scoring.

We finally have our own pressure on goal when 40 minutes are on the clock when Moedim Júnior volleys Muslimovic’s chipped-in pass towards goal, but Almansa has the reflexes to deny the Brazilian. I of course give the boys a roasting at the break, hoping that we’ll fight back and make it a contest in the second leg at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena. But on 56 minutes, Gershon pushes Roberto which gives Castro the opportunity to line it up. Thankfully, Vidal is there to turn it behind, but again I’m hoping that my defenders will start defending! icon_mad.gif On 58 minutes, Muslimovic and Owen combine to cross the ball into the box where Kortina nods it down for the waiting Redondo, and the predatory striker tries his luck with a thunderous volley, but Almansa has the measure of it and we still can’t break our duck. From the corner, Smith picks up Castro’s clearance and sends it in to Hernández, but once more Almansa is there to prevent us scoring. icon_frown.gif However, our spell of pressure is maintained as Moedim Júnior heads towards goal, but it doesn’t count because Muslimovic is off-side.

Then on 73 minutes, we’re thrown a life-line when the referee, to the derisory whistles of the crowd, gives us a penalty for a push on Redondo by Cuartero! icon_biggrin.gif Redondo holds his nerve to convert it, then 8 minutes later, we equalise when Juan Hernández beats Almansa to Muslimovic’s corner for his tenth goal of the season! icon_cool.gif All we need to do is hold on for ten minutes and I’ll be satisfied (though not really that happy), but Roberto has the last laugh when he picks up Sergio Porras’ hoofed clearance, runs into the box past the substitute Lasa and slams his hat-trick home. icon_mad.gif

I’m not happy.

Real Zaragoza (4-4-2): Almansa ©; Sergio Porras, Castro, Cuartero (Stepanovs 74), Ferrón; Zapata, Sánchez Caballero, Muñiz (Candelo 55), Funes; Kaviedes, Roberto.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon (Lasa 66), Smith, Bressán; Owen; Kortina, Muslimovic; Hernández; Redondo, Moedim Júnior.

Final score: Real Zaragoza 3:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Roberto

After the game, I give Shimon Gershon a ticking off for a poor game against bad game against Roberto. In the end I decide to give the Israeli defender an official warning, which Gershon takes on the chin without making a comment either way.

I’m told by the Spanish FA that we will play Romania in Spain in April.

7th of February 2010

I’m approached by Alavés and Valencia to buy Palomino. The Basque club is willing to offer me £1.6 million for the young defender, while Valencia only have a bid of £1.1 million on the table for him. Palomino is doing well for Getafe at the moment, and I think he has a good chance of making a name for himself in the future at Cartagonova, so I think I would like higher bids for him. Therefore, neither are accepted.

I’m surprised to see Real Madrid offer me £2.9 million for Davide Bagnacani. I tell them he’s not available at that price, or any, in actual fact, because I’m not willing to sell to a rival club.

Primera Liga - Game 22: Cartagonova v Valencia

After rejecting an offer for a key prospect for the future, I have the satisfaction of seeing my current team rip apart Valencia in front of our adoring home fans. I’m delighted to see Valencia’s midfielder Dennis Onichtenchenko walk for a terrible and reckless challenge on Clegg after four minutes, because it removes Puchol from play as my counterpart reshuffles the deck to bring on Zepeda. We take almost immediate advantage of our numerical superiority when Smith finds Notman with a nice pass and the Scottish striker doesn’t let us down, with a goal from 25 yards! icon_smile.gif It takes a little longer to put the second goal on the board, especially when Reyes misses with a volley on 34 minutes. But Notman is on target four minutes later when Redondo cuts in from the left and crosses in low and hard for Notman to dive onto! icon_biggrin.gif Almost on the stroke of half-time, Notman almost has his hat-trick, but for a great save from the embattled Jonathan.

I’m happy at half-time with our professional approach to the first half, but I’m delighted five minutes into the second half when the hitherto quiet George Clegg adds our third, volleying home Mason’s great pass! icon_cool.gif Then the moment that the crowd (and I) have been waiting for arrives on 58 minutes as the great man, Alex Notman, completes his hat-trick, and does so in style! icon_biggrin.gif Picking up the ball mid-way into our attacking half, Notman dribbles past Santis then casually, almost arrogantly, nutmegs van Driel. Jonathan steams out of his goal to try to close down the angles, but Notman cares not, simply side-footing home from 15 yards! icon_biggrin.gif That finishes the scoring, although Valencia do test out Bagnacani for a ten minute period, when the heat’s gone out of the game. But Bagnacani shows why Real Madrid is after him when he pulls off two good saves to deny Knopper and Zenden. Castromán misses another opportunity late in the game, and when the referee blows for full-time I’m a very pleased man, while Notman deservedly souvenirs the match-ball. So is the board, as they tell me after the game.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning, Gershon ©, Smith, Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Valencia (4-4-2): Jonathan ©; Santis, van Driel, Donnet, Castromán; Zenden, Knopper, Onichtenchenko (s/o 4), Farinós; Puchol (Zepeda 4), Karanka (Quique 67).

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Valencia

MoM - Alex Notman

But despite our good victory, we can’t shake off the persistent Barcelona, who keep us only two points in front after they take Alavés to the cleaners 3-0 away from home. Real Madrid also enjoy a fruitful Sunday afternoon, giving Espanyol a touch-up 4-0 in Barcelona.

Surprisingly, only Gary Mason makes it to the team of the week. Notman’s hat-trick is apparently overshadowed by games from Souza and Sene Djaló.

8th of February 2010

Alavés comes back for another bite of the cherry to try to buy Palomino from me, offering £2 million over 18 months. The offer remains unacceptable.

Real Madrid still thinks Bagnacani is the answer to their goalkeeping prayers, making an offer of £3.5 million. I still don’t want to sell to a rival club.

I welcome Garrido back to full training today. He could have perhaps been risked against Valencia, but Muslimovic has done well enough to keep his place, at least while Garrido has been on the sidelines.

9th of February 2010

Real Madrid try to make my birthday a happy one by offering me £4.2 million for Bagnacani, albeit over six months. I’m still not taking the deal, though.

10th of February 2010

Real Madrid just doesn’t get the message, offering me £5 million for Bagnacani. I’m beginning to relent, because I counter with £6 million. The reason is that I’ve lined up a few possible replacements for the Italian.

Copa del Rey - Quarter-Final, Second Leg: Cartagonova v Real Zaragoza

Trailing by a goal after the first leg, it’s important that we have the better of this game, by at least a goal! icon_rolleyes.gif I make only one change to the eleven that put Valencia to the sword on the weekend, with Juan Hernández coming in for the tired George Clegg. Eduardo Almansa is inspired today in goal for our visitors, as he denies Notman on 14 minutes with a great save, then Hernández on 37 minutes. But on 42 minutes, we have our goal when the reliable Gary Mason collects the ball and rams it home! icon_smile.gif Another goal would be nice so we don’t have to rely merely on the away goals rule to progress to the semi-finals, and Mason almost delivers on 52 minutes with a free kick that Almansa does well to reach. Redondo tests Almansa with a glancing header on 56 minutes, and two minutes later I’m given a scare by Kaviedes, but fortunately Smith has enough pressure on him to put the Ecuadoran off.

Alex Notman is again denied by Almansa on 65 minutes and I’m beginning to think the winning goal will never come. Josemi blazes away over the bar on 84 minutes, but two moments later we do manage the winning goal when Smith passes into the box where Notman outjumps Sergio Porras on 86 minutes to score his 25th goal of another remarkable season and we advance 4-3 on aggregate to the semi-finals! icon_smile.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Muslimovic; Hernández; Redondo, Notman.

Real Zaragoza (4-4-2): Almansa ©; Sergio Porras, Cuartero, Stepanovs, Ferrón; Peralta (Zapata 52), Sánchez Caballero (Chema 57), Muñiz, Funes; Kaviedes, Josemi.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Real Zaragoza

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 4:3 Real Zaragoza

MoM - Alex Notman

11th of February 2010

It’s all Cartagonova in the news this evening, with my right-hand man Luis Sosa being linked with the vacant Tenerife job, although he has received no formal offer from the island club. Personally, I think he’d be crazy to take the job if it was offered to him, since Tenerife is bankrupt and unable to bring in new players if it manages, against the odds, to be promoted at the end of the season.

Alex Notman receives another dose of thumbs up in the media tonight, with a leading expert saying he is a ‘goal machine’ striking fear into the hearts of defenders in Spain and in Europe. I, of course, agree that the Scottish international is playing brilliantly recently, which draws kudos from both the fans and the chairman, Señor Manzano.

12th of February 2010

Apparently my terms for Bagnacani are proving too much for Real Madrid to accept at this stage.

Primera Liga - Game 23: Villarreal v Cartagonova

When all is said and done at the end of the season, the one reason why we may not have any silverware is our lack of consistency. After playing well the last few games, we come back to earth with a thud against a team 15th in the league going into the match. With a revamped side due to midweek exertions taking a heavy toll, we take some time to get going, and Walter Gaitán gives a taste of things to come with a fierce drive on 5 minutes that Bagnacani does well to knock away. But a couple of moments later, Mason gives López Vallejo a taste of their own medicine after Notman was fouled, but the Scotsman can’t beat the former international keeper. Gómez is given a chance to score first for Villarreal, but he thunders a drive against the post, but on 20 minutes, we do take our chance, when Sabino’s header is picked up by Notman, who weaves his way past Puertas and thumps a drive into the top corner! icon_smile.gif A couple of moments later, Notman does slightly less well when he heads Sabino’s pass towards goal, but fails to hit the target. Our lead, however, does not last long. After Wallerstedt goes close on 23 minutes, Israel Engonga grabs the equaliser when Bagnacani’s errant goal kick falls at the feet of Wallerstedt, who sets up a chain of passes which culminates in Engonga scoring with a diving header. icon_frown.gif

We again create chances to take the lead, with Clegg and Gershon both missing useful opportunities to score. Similarly, Villarreal fail to make the most of their chances when on 36 minutes Gaitán tries his luck with a spectacular bicycle kick but doesn’t put it on target. A moment later, we have a corner when López Vallejo tips away Notman’s scorching half-volley. Mantilla lifts the ball into the box and Gershon crashes the pack to head it past López Vallejo to make it 2-1 in our favour on 38 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif

But at no stage during this game have I felt safe in our defence, and sure enough, when Villarreal put the pressure on, we wilt. Wallerstedt drives unhindered into the heart of my defence before laying it off to Kevin Franck, and the Belgian makes no mistake three minutes before the break. icon_frown.gif Two minutes after, Franck is involved again, as Mason perpetrates a horrible tackle on him and is rightly sent off for it. icon_mad.gif I could have done, however, with eleven players on the pitch and I stare daggers into his back as he trudges into the dressing rooms, accompanied by the hisses of the partisan home crowd. I take off Clegg (who has had little influence on the game) and replace him with Owen, while Notman drops back to support Sabino from deep. Seven minutes later, I’m forced into substituting Gershon for Lasa due to injury and when Franck is pushed by Smith, conceding a free kick, I can feel we’re in trouble. Sure enough, Gómez steps up to convert, and now we’re looking down the barrel at 3-2. icon_frown.gif Unsurprisingly, it’s all Villarreal from here on and they have their fourth from another free kick by Gómez on 77 minutes. To make matters worse, I lose Sabino to injury and since I had just used up my last substitution, we’re down to nine men. Villarreal do their best to even up the numbers, though, as Wallerstedt walks for two yellow cards late in the match, and Mantilla gives the scoresheet a veneer of respectability with his late goal (the first for the club).

But now we’ve given the opportunity to Barcelona to overtake us when they play host to a struggling Compostela tomorrow.

Villarreal (1-2-5-2): López Vallejo; Bravo; Puertas, Engonga; Moha (Sonkaya 74), Franck, Wallerstedt (s/o 88), Artur ©, Victorino; Gaitán, Gómez.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Mantilla, Gershon © (Lasa 54), Bressán; Mason (s/o 47); Kortina (Moedim Júnior 77), Garrido; Clegg (Owen 47); Sabino (inj 86), Notman.

Final score: Villarreal 4:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Kevin Franck

I’m not happy at all with Mason after his dismal performance. He picked up his fifth yellow card in the league this season, which automatically suspends him for a match. But since the red card was a straight red, he is automatically banned for another game. So he’s out for at least two games, and I’m sure the FA will want to discipline him even further after they review the tapes. So that means I’m holding off judgment of his penalty until they have decided what they want to do with him.

I lose Gershon for a month with strained knee ligaments. Sabino is out just for a few days with a deeply bruised thigh, but that puts him in doubt for the resumption of the European Champions' League on Tuesday against Bayern München.

14th of February 2010

Moping around at home on Valentine’s Day, I receive a facsimile from Glasgow Rangers, offering me £8.5 million for George Clegg. That’s at least £2 million short of my valuation of the English midfielder, so the offer is rejected.

As predicted, we drop to second as Barcelona put four past Compostela with a commanding performance at home. Compostela didn’t even have a shot at goal for the entire 90 minutes.

Mason is banned for a further three games by the Spanish FA, bringing his total length of suspension to five league games. That’s not good, and I inform Mason in no uncertain terms of my displeasure at his absence, through his own lack of discipline, from our team. I give him an official warning.

15th of February 2010

I wake up this morning to a £4.5 million bid for Notman. Not even close, my friends. Somehow the papers manage to get a hold of the bid, and I’m forced to hose down rumours that spread around Spain that the Scotsman is returning to his roots.

16th of February 2010

I reject a bid of £5.5 million from Bayern München for Alex Notman.

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 3: Cartagonova v Bayern München

With a build-up to this game like we’ve had over the past few days, you’ll forgive me for being a little apprehensive. But two goals by the 15 minute mark eases my nerves! icon_smile.gif First, Martin Smith scores a rare goal when he advances from deep to take Mantilla’s pass and bang it past Chiotis! icon_smile.gif Then Notman scores his obligatory goal on 15 minutes and we’re cruising. Diego Tristán tries his best to bring his club back into it when he tests Vidal on 27 minutes, but our returning captain does well to turn his shot away. He needs to do it again from Tristán on 33 minutes, but a moment later, Garrido has Chiotis on his toes with a rasping drive. When Scheller loses possession with an errant header, Clegg picks up possession and puts into a position for Mason to head towards goal, and he scores! icon_biggrin.gif Lasa gives away a free kick on 36 minutes, but Vidal manages to block Henry’s free kick. Right on half time, Waattovaara tests Vidal with a low, stinging right foot drive, but Vidal preserves the clean sheet to the break.

We come out firing in the second half, and it takes us only four minutes to make it 4-0 when Reyes and Redondo do some good work to set up Garrido, and our international winger doesn’t let us down! icon_biggrin.gif Henry brings Bayern a faint hope on 59 minutes when he gets the better of Smith and blasts past Vidal, but two minutes later, Redondo restores our four goal buffer with a fantastic strike from distance! icon_smile.gif On 75 minutes, the veteran striker shows he’s not done yet this season when with a great first touch, he takes Reyes’ pass in his stride and hits it hard with the outside of his foot to great effect! icon_biggrin.gif That makes it 6-1 to Cartagonova, and that’s where the scoring finishes for the evening.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Lasa (Thuram 67), Smith, Bressán; Reyes, Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Bayern München (5-3-2): Chiotis; Solari, Lenz, Scheller, Wittmann, Eckstein (Schade 34); Majewski, Henry, Jeremies © (Jacob 60); Diego Tristán, Waattovaara.

Final score: Cartagonova 6:1 Bayern München

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

We end the match day in top spot after Sheffield United drop two points at home in a 0-0 draw with Anderlecht.

I’m sure Bayern München will be out for revenge when we go to Germany in eight days’ time, while I’m not quite sure whether Chiotis will play again after the papers give him a very mediocre 3 out of 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Back again after a bit of a break!

20th of February 2010

There is a rumour spread around the traps that Rivaldo might be on his way to finish his career in Portugal with a move to Beira-Mar for £80,000. I do my best to encourage the speculation by saying the former Brazilian international could be on his way out of the club soon.

21st of February 2010

Real Madrid in the morning offer me £3.1 million over six months for Davide Bagnacani. I want to negotiate the offer upwards to £5.5 million immediately, and another £1 million after ten league appearances.

In the meantime, after I’m done with Real Madrid’s offer, I’m leafing through the morning’s papers when I come across in the national paper an article linking Gary Mason to a £3.6 million move to Valencia. I’m sure the club, struggling to make much headway in eighth position, would like a goal-scoring anchor midfielder, because they don’t grow on trees. But for precisely that reason, I’m not about to let the Scottish international go quite that easily. So I instruct the club to put out a strongly worded press release denying that Mason will move anywhere. After finishing my eggs benedict, I’m on the phone to the player, demanding to know why his agent is putting out such a public desire to move away from the club. Mason, cooling his heels for five league matches, said that his agent was just angling for a fee and there was nothing in it, honest.

Primera Liga - Game 24: Cartagonova v Hércules

It’s the first time since I sold him to today’s opponents that Michel returns to the club where he made his name, and he very properly receives a hero’s welcome from the very appreciative home crowd. But the echoes are only just beginning to die away when we score our first goal of the game. It’s the old Real Betis connection as Francisco José Mantilla flights a corner dangerously into the Hércules box, and José Antonio Reyes thunders a header into the top right corner! icon_smile.gif After Redondo forces Jorquera into making a save on 8 minutes, Clegg doubles our lead two minutes later when the Englishman dribbles past Ico before lashing a drive past the outstretched fingertips of Jorquera! icon_biggrin.gif Lasa then ventures forward and lays off to Notman, but the Scottish striker can’t find the back of the net on 13 minutes. Vidal then proceeds to make a goalkeeping blunder on 18 minutes when he lets Muñiz’s shot roll free, but he fails to notice Tarradellas creeping in around the back and the midfielder tucks in for an easy goal. icon_frown.gif Not to matter - thirty seconds later we reestablish our two goal buffer when George Clegg again dribbles the length of the Hércules’ half of the pitch and scores a spectacular goal! icon_biggrin.gif It’s real end-to-end stuff for the rest of the half, but neither side can add to the scoresheet before the break.

The same continues for the first little period into the second half, but Clegg seemingly ensures that we come away with all three points when he confirms his hat-trick on 68 minutes by trapping Redondo’s cute pass and blasts home with his left foot! icon_cool.gif Michel is forced from the field with an injury, but a moment later, just when he’s disappearing down into the dressing rooms, he doesn’t see his teammate Cácares Cañete fantastically dribble my entire defence before scoring a fantastic goal. icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif On 85 minutes, Polo pulls the score back to 4-3 in our favour with another great goal, and I’m forced to endure a nervous finish to the game. We do in fact score the victory, but you can see the level of frustration with my team when we concede three goals to the 17th club in the league. In my mind, it overshadows a great performance from George Clegg, who is beginning to recapture his form from last season when he scored 17 goals in all competitions. His hat-trick today brings him up to 9 goals, which is already a good return.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Lasa, Smith, Bressán; Reyes, Verón, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Hércules (4-4-2): Jorquera ©; Sun, Aguilera, Germán (Gorka Vega 69), Alonso; Michel (Rossi 69), Jesús (Polo 56), Cácares Cañete, Tarradellas; Ico, Muñiz.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:3 Hércules

MoM - George Clegg

23rd of February 2010

It takes a few days for Real Madrid to think about my proposal for the transfer of Davide Bagnacani, but in the end, my counterpart rejects my terms. He should probably be thinking more about how to save his job, because there’s news filtering through that the board’s patience with Señor García García is finally approaching exhaustion and there is a shortlist being drawn up for managers to replace him. Who knows whether I’m on that list?

24th of February 2010

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 4: Bayern München v Cartagonova

Having crushed the German champion 6-1 a week ago, no doubt our hosts will be looking for a measure of revenge, not to mention to resuscitate their hopes of advancing to the knock-out phase in the European Champions' League. I’m forced to leave Alex Notman at home, because he’s simply exhausted after battling Hércules last weekend, but Juan Hernández, who has been in great form so far this season, steps into breach. It is indeed Hernández who helps put us ahead as early as the fourth minute as he finds George Clegg, steaming into the penalty box unnoticed by Bayern’s defenders, and the Englishman completes the great move effectively! icon_biggrin.gif

Five minutes later, Bayern think they have an equaliser when Thierry Henry scores from Solari’s cross, but Diego Tristán undoes all their good work by being caught off-side. icon_smile.gif We punish them when from the corner earned by Clegg, Mantilla swings over the cross for Hernández to head past Chiotis! icon_biggrin.gif Leading by two goals on 15 minutes feels very good, and we should have had a third on 20 minutes, but Reyes fires wide. Vidal does well on the half hour to deny Jeremies cutting our lead in half, but on 37 minutes, Chiotis pulls off a great triple save to deny Redondo and Mantilla twice! icon_eek.gif Redondo misses another opportunity on 41 minutes to extend our lead, and our defence is caught napping two minutes from the break by Tristán who this time holds his run perfectly and then slides the ball beneath Vidal into the back of his net. icon_frown.gif

Buoyed by their goal just before the break, Bayern come out more confident in the second half, and despite replacing the quiet Garrido with the enthusiastic Kortina on 56 minutes, we concede a soft equaliser when on 65 minutes, Vidal spills Solari’s powerful header at the feet of Waattovaara, who doesn’t miss. icon_mad.gif To drop the win wouldn’t be deserved, given the quality of our attacking plays, but Redondo quickly restores our lead when on 68 minutes, he picks up Mason’s clever through-ball and smashes it home from the edge of the box, with Chiotis stranded! icon_cool.gif Chiotis denies Hernández the winning goal on 70 minutes, and Redondo on 83 minutes after good approach play by Juan Hernández. But right at the death, Gary Mason settles the encounter with a great goal from a set piece, and we board the airplane back to Spain well satisfied with our work! icon_biggrin.gif

Bayern München (5-3-2): Chiotis; Solari, Lenz (Scheller 68), Helbig, Wolf, Jacob; Majewski (Wittmann 54), Henry (Marioni 63), Jeremies ©; Diego Tristán, Waattovaara.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Lasa, Smith, Bressán; Mason; Reyes, Garrido (Kortina 56); Clegg; Redondo, Hernández.

Final score; Bayern München 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - George Clegg

With Anderlecht and Sheffield United drawing 0-0 in the other game, we open up a three point gap back to Sheffield United, so a point against the English side at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena in the next match day will ensure our passage through to the knock-out phase.

Hopefully that will lift confidence and morale around the club, because we face the most difficult fixture this season coming up on next Sunday. We travel to Catalans country to play the league leader Barcelona. If we win this one, we go back to the top of the league, and knock some of the wind out of our biggest, fiercest rival’s sails. If we lose, then we could conceivably drop as low as fifth if other results go against us, and in any event, Barcelona would open up a real gap over us. Without Gary Mason, who is still suspended in the domestic league, it’s going to be very difficult, and I’m going to have to make a choice between the still green Andy Owen and Ricardo Verón.

26th of February 2010

“… The Copa del Rey is set to end in a mouth-watering conclusion after the semi-final draw was announced this afternoon. Spain’s two most recently successful clubs, Cartagonova and Barcelona, managed to avoid each other, and will instead commence the charge towards the final at the Vicente Calderón in Madrid by travelling to Segunda Liga opposition in the first leg. Extremadura will host Cartagonova, while Barcelona travels to Athletic Bilbao…â€

In the meantime, the pressure intensifies on my Barcelona counterpart, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, as the media believes that Barcelona will last the pace to claim the Primera Liga championship, for the first time since they waltzed away with it back in 2005/06. I’m glad to see this, because I think at this time, I’d like Cartagonova to adopt the ‘under dog’ tag in the lead-up to our clash with Barcelona this coming Sunday.

27th of February 2010

Real Madrid is fixated on buying Bagnacani from me. This morning they offer £3.1 million, over six months. I want £6 million now, plus another £1 million after ten league appearances, and 10% of the next sale fee.

The pressure is put on me by various sections in the media to call up Numancia’s Fernando Morán to the full squad and give him his full international debut in Spain’s next game against the Czech Republic in just under a month. Numancia’s manager, Señor Antonio Gómez opens his big mouth, calling upon me to give Morán a chance. The 19 year old attacking midfielder is certainly a player with big potential, but he needs to consistently perform over a couple of seasons to have a shot at ousting players like Gerard and Vicente from that position.

28th of February 2010

Primera Liga - Game 25: Barcelona v Cartagonova

This is the biggest game of the season and will have a huge influence on the final destination of the championship. We have formed an intense rivalry based on 24 completed games, which sees the split slightly in our favour - nine wins, six draws and seven losses, for 33 points to 25 points to Barcelona. We have scored 45 goals and conceded 37. Of course, the most memorable is the final of the 2004 Copa del Rey when Stan Collymore scored a three minute hat-trick (separated by half-time), but we lost 4-3 after extra time when we conceded the golden goal winner to Juan Sebastián Verón on 111 minutes.

But before we leave Cartagena for Barcelona, I screen for the players a replay of the match played on the 17th of February 2008, which decisively tilted the title race in our favour. For those with short memories, a second half hat-trick to José Manuel Redondo, with three other goals from Kristian Tanem, George Clegg and Ariel Carreño helped us comprehensively thrash Barcelona 6-2 in their own backyard. The three points is just as important today, but I don’t expect us to win so well today. Yet, it was the spirit epitomised by the eleven players who represented the club on that day I want today’s crop to capture again. Of those who played on that day, five players will take the field today, namely, Vidal, Smith, Garrido, Clegg and Redondo.

The last time we travelled to the Nou Camp, we won, thanks to a Alex Notman brace, and the great striker returns at the expense of the unlucky Juan Hernández, who sits on the bench. Andy Owen replaces the suspended Gary Mason, while Ricardo Verón sits on the bench. It will be a big test for the young Welshman, who has made his name to date in the international arena as a striker, not as a holding midfielder. But this is his big chance to impress me and I hope to hell he doesn’t fluff his lines. Barcelona have been hit by injuries, and I’m glad to see Emanuele Calaiò, Cristian Bardaro, Gerard, and rising youngster Daniel Rojas all ruled out through injury.

As might be expected, there’s barely enough time to draw breath. Juan Sebastián Verón fires the first shot in anger after just 45 seconds, but he fails to hit the target. Redondo does much better on 6 minutes down the other end, but Laínez saves superbly. Ricardo Jorge might have opened Barcelona’s scoring on another day when he tries his luck on 14 minutes, but faced by so many defenders, he can’t find enough time to accurately aim his shot. Notman needs to reset his radar on 18 minutes when he volleys over the bar, and three minutes later, Vidal is called into action thanks to a header from Ricardo Jorge, and the Spanish international keeper needs to dive on the ball before Juan Sara can tuck it away. icon_eek.gif On 28 minutes, Verón outwits Owen and leaving the Welshman in his tracks, fires towards Vidal, but our captain does enough to turn the ball aside and Owen follows up to clear it away. On the stroke of half-time, Redondo heads cleanly Mantilla’s cross towards goal, but Laínez saves well. The ensuing scramble at the corner finally leads to Notman finding enough time for a shot, but Laínez has its measure and we enter the break still locked together at 0-0 apiece.

I praise the boys’ efforts in the first half, but I have a quiet word in the shell-like of Owen, who has been swamped in midfield, which means that Vidal and the defenders have had too much work to do. I warn him that unless he improves, I’ll replace him, because I can’t afford for us to go behind. He nods his head in understanding, but I fear that the Welshman was not the right man for the job, after all. So it proves, as Verón again breaks free too easily and forces Vidal into making another fine save on 49 minutes. But Owen is there to act as the release for Vidal, and he lofts a pass into the path of Garrido down the right. The winger steams down the by-line, before crossing into the path of Notman, who nutmegs Brighi too easily and finds the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif You would have thought that would have shocked Barcelona awake, but five minutes later, Clegg almost doubles our lead, but for a great save once more from Laínez. On the hour mark, the veteran Redondo outjumps César to head Mantilla’s cross at goal, but unfortunately, it clears the bar. Six minutes later, we go a man up as a shocking act of stupidity right in front of one of the strictest referees in Spain sees Gabriel Milito sent off. My counterpart takes off Ricardo Jorge for Cartagonova old boy Salomon Olembé, whom I know all about. We try to take immediate advantage, with Redondo testing Laínez’s reflexes, but finds them well enough to cope. However, the veteran will not be denied and he ensures that we will take home all three points when on 73 minutes, he heads home Notman’s cross to the great delight of our visiting band of supporters and, of course, myself! icon_biggrin.gif Verón is still giving his all, but on 77 minutes, he still can’t find the back of the net despite his best effort. Juan Sara volleys towards goal late in the game, but Vidal, capping off a man of the match performance, won’t even allow Barcelona a sniff in this one! icon_biggrin.gif

It’s a great result for us, which sees us go back to the top of the ladder, and the chairman, Señor Manzano, join us in muted celebrations in the dressing room to celebrate another famous victory over our greatest rival. icon_cool.gif

Barcelona (1-2-5-2): Laínez; Milito (s/o 66), César (Maldonado 83); Ruiz, Verón ©, Brighi, Källström, Varela; Ricardo Jorge (Olembé 66), Sara.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Mantilla, Lasa, Smith, Bressán; Owen (Rønning 58); Reyes, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Barcelona 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

Archived