Recreating Emery 3-4-1-2 on FM19

After watching the 'lovely' end to Arsenal's season, I thought about having a go with them on FM19, encorporating Emery's tactic and hopefully building a more successful change to Wenger's reign.

I've previously religiously used a 4-1-4-1 in game, and wanted to emulate roughly what Emery's done with the three at the back. Had a lot of issues defending properly, pressing, and having the right level of penetration in attack. Every Emery tactic I've seen is before he switched to three at the back. The only analysis I could find online was https://spielverlagerung.de/2018/12/28/boxing-day/

I've thought the tactic would be on an attacking mentality - but the cbs hit long wayward balls even with shorter passing and take less risks selected. There is an element of tiki taka, but I guess 'fluid counter attack' where the ball is played up the pitch with a quicker tempo. I'm not sure about the press, I like to high press, and Emery's Arsenal does that, but the shape doesn't lend itself to pressing full backs. Ideally I'd also be able to have a mid block variation, so to make use of the pace up front and when defending a lead to hit them on the break.

With the shape as below. Ignore the roles and team instructions, I was focusing more on the shape.

I've been using three centre back CD on defend.
Experimented with wing backs on support with look for overlap, or wing backs on attack.

Not sure about the CM roles.

Ozil as a AP

I've been using Lacazette and Aubameyang both as CF support, but I don't think its completely right. Both seem more attack minded in real life, but still offer each other support in attack.

Any help or advice on building this tactic would be much appreciated, I've really struggled making an effective tactic

Screenshot (7).png

I'm just not sure what you are trying to do here tbh. Emery's 3412 clearly didn't work too great. So why are you trying to emulate it? Or are you just trying to create your own version of the 3412 for Arsenal?

Caveat:  I don't support Arsenal and watched very, very little of them this season.  

That being said, based on the link you provided, I'd guess that Xhaka fits more in a HB role (so drop him, move Mustafi out of the line up).  Guendouzi looks like he might be in a CM-D role and Torreira as a DLP-S.  Ozil looks like he drops more, so probably AP-S.  Aubu is a Poacher.  Lacazette maybe more of a DLF-S.  Again, I'm more throwing darts.  I'd also think my suggestions would provide you with a more defensively stable set up - the one you have is SUPER attacking.

DLF- S                   P

AP -S

CM - D         DLP - S

WB - S             HB             WB- A

CD -D      CD - D

GK

13 hours ago, Shwinerz said:

Not sure about the CM roles.

Ozil as a AP

I've been using Lacazette and Aubameyang both as CF support, but I don't think its completely right. Both seem more attack minded in real life, but still offer each other support in attack.

Any help or advice on building this tactic would be much appreciated, I've really struggled making an effective tactic

I also use a 5212 system with Man Utd. As for roles, I would definitely play Ozil as a TQ. Lacazette is more suitable for a CF role than Auby, but in this particular system I am not sure I would use a CF. In case I do use a CF, the striker combo would be Lacazette - CFs & Auby - poacher.

A carrilero - mezzala combo is not wrong per se, you just need to make sure both roles are played by right players and fit in well with the rest of the system. In your tactic, the mezzala would make more sense on the left for the sake of balance and defensive stability (because the left WB is less attack-minded than the RWB). 

Team instructions... when I see this needlessly aggressive (read: risky) out-of-possession TIs, I can't help but roll my eyes. Good defending and aggressive defending are two completely different things. 

14 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

I'm just not sure what you are trying to do here tbh. Emery's 3412 clearly didn't work too great. So why are you trying to emulate it? Or are you just trying to create your own version of the 3412 for Arsenal?

I enjoyed the system and the idea behind the strategy and would like to have a tactic that does similar, but with a couple of tweaks to make it that bit more effective. Considering the strength of Arsenals players on FM, I wouldn't mind 5th with a Europa League final with this tactic, in the first season, my trouble is making a tactic that can get me there!

That, and I'm also bored of 4-1-4-1 tiki taka tactics and wanted to try something else.

Archived