The Tale Of Cuchu - First Stop Old Boys School Of Loco

SixPointer

I have struggled to get into FM After Kaiserslautern which seems such a long time ago. I tried France didn't kick off I tried Greece ten games that was that and Italy where a penny sort of dropped I managed a season. I was sick of playing the same way and there I had a moment where I wanted to do something tactically play a 4312 used a lot there but due to work commitments it went stale and the tactics became very similar to old. I feel its time now to leave my comfort zone and travel the world for 12 years I have been addicted to this game and have never ventured from Europe. So I done some research and found ideas of where to go. A place with passionate fans is a must for me. A place were tactical genius's come to life. A place where the best ever player in the world came from. Its well out my comfort zone so researched the league and found its even more interesting than I could ever have expected and I now feel I have my buzz for FM back. so I give you my journey.

1728667232_EstebanCambiassoFCInternazionaleMilano6ZcrGF93KUwl.thumb.jpg.1d6eebd09cdf0a463b65d97583084e52.jpg

Esteban Cambiasso nicknamed "Cuchu" is a  Argentinian footballer who was capped 52 times by his country. Considered a Legend at Inter Milan. Born in Buenos Aires 18/8/80 he started his youth career at Argentinos juniors before joining Spanish Giants Real Madrid he made 40 appearances for the B team before returning to Argentina to play for Independiente where he won his first silverware lifting the Argentine Primera Division. River Plate came calling and he played for the Buenos Aries giants for one season before returning to the Spanish capital. Playing Two seasons in Real first team he lifted the UEFA Super cup and La Liga Title his contract expired and he joined Inter Milan where he played over 300 games and became club captain and legend in his time here he won 5 Serie A titles, 4 Coppa Italia, 4 super Coppa Italiana, 1 UEFA Champions League and 1 FIFA Club World Cup. One season in Leicester followed were he won the clubs player of the year. He joined Greek giants Olympiacos where he won two league titles in two years. He Pulled down the curtain on his glittering football career and started his coaching License. Cambiasso was given his first coaching role as he joined his former manager Jose Peckerman at Colombia before the 2018 world cup. Pekerman lost his job after the tournament leaving Cambiasso with out work.

The Tale Of Cuchu

In this journey we will follow the career of Esteban Cambiasso as he steps into his first role as a manager there is no hard rules for this save. I doubt it will be a one club save even tho he is a very loyal person. I don't tend to travel much but seeing as were following a manager rather than a club it should have some twists and turns but I will try to remain in south America unless inter come calling early on.

The Database

761a8f5b2bebe6f700c6fcb4794be351.png

Sticking to the idea of South America the only European Playable leagues are Italy and Spain

The Attributes

675e86c56fe6639193b817da2c1af371.png

I have moulded his attributes as close to as I possibly can. A true leader and warrior on the park so I have tried to display this in his managerial profile. Hugely determined character who should great discipline. He was a solid defensive midfielder so I took that into account with his coaching style he also played under some great managers were he developed some great tactical awareness.

1089690225_EstebanCambiasso_Inbox.thumb.png.ddaf25ea774c58c9431f35efbc1363eb.png

Newell's Old Boys have gambled on the former argentine international after they narrowly survived relegation last season they feel its time to bring in a new leader someone who can build a philosophy and lead the team to glory.   

Fans.thumb.jpg.3f8ce8066415c85d8d9a778fd594af49.jpg

Newell's Old Boys

1680842056_ClubLogo.thumb.jpg.a080d3c63ec3193e862b1d883bd37a5a.jpg

Club Atlético Newell's Old Boys formed 1903 is Sports club based in Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina its was a founding member of the Liga Rosarina de Football. The club joined the AFA in 1939 and has won 6 Argentine Primera Division titles they have also twice been Copa Libertadores runners up (1988 & 1992) 

map.thumb.png.51bc0dd9bcc5fe4a0e125abe6e034a09.png

Based is Rosario the 3rd biggest city in Argentina behind the Capital Buenos Aires and Cordoba and is located between these two bigger cities. The club shares Rosario with historic city rivals Rosario Central. They play in the Clasico de Rosario derby which is quite the spectacle. There is also local rivalry with the clubs in the neighbouring Santa Fe. Colon and Union De Santa provide some state derby's.

Club Facilities

estadio-newells-old-boys-coloso-marcelo-bielsa-vista-aereas-rf_283407.thumb.jpg.17d68616059c5fc8ab266527128e2753.jpg

The club plays there home games at Coloso Del Parque or Estadio Marcelo Biesla named after there legendary former manager with a 42,000 capacity its around average size in terms of the league but shades city rivals Rosario by 1000 seats.

a86302da6e0c884226e0cdd7c4a17d0e.png

Along with the stadium the club boasts great training and youth facilities. The club is notable for its youth divisions being one of the clubs with the most national titles in AFA's youth tournaments. Players from the clubs youth system who have represented Argentina at the World Cup include Gabriel Batistuta, Ever Banega, Walter Samuel, Americo Gallego, Jorge Valdano, Gabriel Heinze, Roberto Sensini, Mauricio Pochettino and Current club captain Maxi Rodriguez. Of course the greatest player of all time Lionel Messi spent six years at the club as a boy and is a lifelong fan.

Recent Times

01f334536912f7459bed9db80c690226.png

dab2d22d619adc39c223730d04ad24b8.png

60de691c52eafb893df85c4aa5fe40e6.png

943c06f693988309ff33a5e7d5ca8846.png

The league position of the club has been some what inconsistent very up and down albeit the club won the Primera division in 2013 but only just survived relegation last sense hence why Esteban Cambiasso has been handed the job. His first test will to be sort out the poor financial situation at the club things are pretty bleak and with no budget or room in the wages players will have to move on.

The Squad

80a6262ea31af428dd6469fc0858f06c.png

A very well balanced squad plenty of experience with the likes of Maxi Rodriguez, Mauro Formica and Nelson Ibanez who have been there and done it and all been capped by there country. In particular Maxi who has played at the very highest level throught most of his career. These players mixed in with the emerging Talent of Nadalin, Torres, Callegari and Rivero it provides Cambiasso with a very well rounded squad. 

Key Players

42edccdb36b83bcb8bba90a5529c8f0b.jpg

2d991668dcdf3e0b63481c997d8c79b0.png

Alan Aguerre recently signed on a free transfer from Velez. Will be vital in the way we want to play out from the back with his great passing and kicking but that's not all he has in his locker he is also a fantastic shot stopper. Number 1 for many years to come. 

3a917e8407d9d9989db6403f57f5b459.jpg

e396d5dcefb48d64aaeef44436842a85.png

Fabricio Fontanni will provide us with a solid centre back at the heart of the defence not the quickest but intelligent and technical enough to lead the way in our back 3 will do the basics very well. He will also help bring Callegari on and set an example for him.

6a70c3a6598aacf912965c1bdf360bcf.jpg

0b54d26ecce5293f8f3d0890f2ea33ff.png

Young Braian Rivero from the academy broke into the first team last season and is now arguably the most key player at the club especially in the way Cambiasso wants to set up. He will be the rock of the side breaking up play in front of the back 3 and recycling possession. Also a future club captain provided we can hold onto him.

cf6b019cd0e8cb8e148edaf783eb18cd.jpg

292317bd7dea519fa5259f5270ed7459.png

Mauro Formica the number 10 we will look to carve teams apart from the number 10 slot. Its also a added bonus that he is a hard working player which will help with us with winning the ball back quick and high up the park. Perfect partner to Rivero. Between the pair we have a very good blend in the middle of the park with an abundance of work rate. 

1fbad2cb7efde5c600ed5cb84edc0507.png

6de76105081d7765ad40f952d5ad353d.png

Francisco Fydriszewski is the focal point of the team we will look to him for goals but more importantly his hold up play will be vital to getting the team up the park. Has just comeback from a nasty injury so may take time to find his feet.

df23ca9c5be66b0afd88ba5a954aac96.jpg

36e2a156d894cbbaff8d0122e50e3c0e.png 

Last but not least club captain Maxi Rodriguez returns for his 3rd spell at the club and while he has lost his pace he is still very technically gifted and intelligent his moments of magic may settle some games and we will use him to bring young Torres on as well.

The Job

9ff18f63a836c74bd8609917b7ac89e0.png

The board expects Cuchu to deliver a top half finish in the league along with a seventh round Copa Argentina and a Superleague cup second round. Quite the task for his first foray into managment but he is certainly a determined man and will thrive under the pressure am sure.  

League.thumb.jpg.f48a2467e884167173d1ed592a4c61c4.jpg

Argentine Primera Division 

One of the main things that brought me to Argentina was there interesting league format. Right now its going through transitionally period and is trying to create a super league of all the best clubs in the country. In 2015 the league was expanded to 30 thus creating the new Superliga Argentina. After expanding the league to 30 the Superliga will slowly be returning to its normal form. Each year 4 teams will be relegated and 2 will be promoted this will carry on until the league reaches 20 teams which will be 2021. The format will then change again and 2 teams will be relegated and promoted. Sounds simple but there is a twist we will get to in a bit.

9b02c3aa0fcc3964382b8c7a27518a76.png

Superliga 2018

This year the league contains 26 teams with each team playing each other once. yes once! either home or away its the luck of the draw. This format will also revert back to playing each other twice once the league reaches 20 members but for now it makes things interesting. There is some massive clubs as you would expect competing for glory the usual big 5 of Argentina are always there Boca Juniors , Independiente, Racing Club, River Plate and San Lorenzo. Behind these five are the likes of Estudiantes, Velez, Lanus, Newell's and Rosario Central. But keep and eye out for Defensa y Justica who have risen threw the leagues and really established themselves over 4 seasons.

Continental Qualification

In South America you have two major continental club competitions. In Argentina the top 5 teams qualify for the group stages of the Copa Libertadores and the team that finishes 6th will qualify for the second qualifying round depending on the winner of the Copa Argentina. 7th-12th will qualify for the Copa Sudamericana which is a knockout tournament with six rounds.

Promotion and Relegation

This is where things get tasty. The bottom sides aren't simply just relegated in the Superliga the relegation is decided by an average points system where the last 3 seasons are taken into account. There for you could have one dire season and still survive if your last two seasons have been up to scratch. Newly Promoted teams start on 0.

96ed0c09d7f929a5f285febaaafed021.png

The current average points table. Mid table for Cambiasso and Newell's Old Boys but a bad start to his managerial career could see his first club plummet into trouble.

The Cups

Copa Libertadores is the top continental cup followed by the Copa Sudamericana as the second big continental cup. Domestically you have the Copa Argentina which is the FA Cup and you also have the Superliga Cup which is the league cup. Plenty up for grabs

The Goals Of The Save

The short term goals are to sort the finances out at Newell's balance the books stop them underachieving and steer them well clear of relegation and out of mid table madness and get them back in amongst the big boys. In the long term emulate the likes of Biesla and Tata Martino by challenging for the league and Copa Libertadores and become a club legend before looking to move on. All this and I would like to do it playing an attractive attacking brand of football similar to Biesla and Pochettino also I would like to use some typical argentine formations and roles along the way. I would welcome you to join me on this journey as I venture out of Europe for the first time in the game. That's the Introduction done now its time to get our teeth stuck into the game.       

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught up with this. Great introduction and best of luck! Fascinating to read about the league structure as well. Playing each team only once is crazy really.

I think I remember scouting Joaquin Torres in a previous save and he seemed to have good potential too. 

Archived