Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Hi,

got the graphics problem so downloaded the update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK. Game now loads up, but where i should get the front screen, i now get a black screen with a little white/grey diagam in the bottom right hand corner.

Is this due to the fact that i only have a intel celeron 1.30ghz processor and 64mb memory which are both below requirements. I thought it meant i could still play in 2d though.

Any ideas?

Could you tell me what your graphics card is?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started to install FM yesterday before I got to the bit where you have to register the game online. I installed steam but it wouldn't accept my code so thought I'd wait a bit. Something came up with the other activation program (i can't remember what it's called!) and it activated my code on there. Then the computer crashed so I thought I'd start again... I removed whatever was already on my computer (through the add and remove programs thing) and tried to install it again. But now I can't get the disc to run at all! I tried going through add and remove programs to install it but my computer freezes when it gets to the bit saying Run Installation Program. The program that comes up is e://setup.ex and when I press finish a little black screen comes up and nothing happens.

Should it be a different installation program or something? I know nothing about computers!

If it's already been answered on here sorry!

Also, I've still got steam installed on my computer - if this will make a difference?

This is likely because you do not have a DVD drive?

If so, you will need re-install the game via Steam, as that would be your only option to.

This is likely because you do not have a DVD drive?

If so, you will need re-install the game via Steam, as that would be your only option to.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm pretty sure that I've got a dvd drive because it worked the first time i started to install it? Also I can play dvds on it! :)

How do I install in via steam? :confused:

it didnt ask for activation code.. the same error cropped up while loadin the game... bex error..im back to square one..dam

I'm sorry T83 that you had no luck.

I have passed this problem on to people 'higher' up, and they'll be looking into it. As a foot note, I'll have to add that it'll probably be very difficult to replicate seeing as very, very few people are experiencing this issue. So, hopefully this is linked to another bug that is the root cause of this misbehaviour.

Unless I try to conjure something up (and I will look into this a little more), until the next patch release (at the very earliest), you'll have no option but to do business in dollars, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm pretty sure that I've got a dvd drive because it worked the first time i started to install it? Also I can play dvds on it! :)

How do I install in via steam? :confused:

Oh okay - I seem to have misunderstood your original post.

You will need to download Steam (which I thought you already had?).

In any case, get it from http://store.steampowered.com/about/ :)

Oh okay - I seem to have misunderstood your original post.

You will need to download Steam (which I thought you already had?).

In any case, get it from http://store.steampowered.com/about/ :)

Hey sorry - my fault. When I installed FM the first time round (then it crashed) it installed steam. I uninstalled the bits of FM that installed (because i couldn't get the disc to work and thought it might be because FM was half on my computer) but it didn't uninstall steam (and I still can't get the disc to run). How do I get from having Steam on my computer to installing FM? :D

Hey sorry - my fault. When I installed FM the first time round (then it crashed) it installed steam. I uninstalled the bits of FM that installed (because i couldn't get the disc to work and thought it might be because FM was half on my computer) but it didn't uninstall steam (and I still can't get the disc to run). How do I get from having Steam on my computer to installing FM? :D

When you open Steam, in the 'Games' tab - is there 'Football Manager 2009' listed there?

Hey sorry - my fault. When I installed FM the first time round (then it crashed) it installed steam. I uninstalled the bits of FM that installed (because i couldn't get the disc to work and thought it might be because FM was half on my computer) but it didn't uninstall steam (and I still can't get the disc to run). How do I get from having Steam on my computer to installing FM? :D[/quote

Actually - it might be working now! Tried to install it again via add and remove programs and it seems to be working!!!!!!!!! I have my fingers well and truly crossed!

Edit: It is installing now via the disc! Bizarre, eh! Thanks for your help anyway mate!

Hey sorry - my fault. When I installed FM the first time round (then it crashed) it installed steam. I uninstalled the bits of FM that installed (because i couldn't get the disc to work and thought it might be because FM was half on my computer) but it didn't uninstall steam (and I still can't get the disc to run). How do I get from having Steam on my computer to installing FM? :D[/quote

Actually - it might be working now! Tried to install it again via add and remove programs and it seems to be working!!!!!!!!! I have my fingers well and truly crossed!

That is good to hear :)

If you run into any (other) problems, feel free to ask.

Hello, I have started getting parsing errors (makes a change from the passing errors of my team) specifically speed xml and switching xml. As I don't appear to have the appdata\roaming etc...demo \ settings folder I created the shortcut. The properties bit read

"c:\program files\ steam \ steam apps\ common\ football manager 2009\fm.exe"

I tried to add the --reset_preferences bit, but it told me that wasn't a valid path.

Help appreciated as always!

Hello, I have started getting parsing errors (makes a change from the passing errors of my team) specifically speed xml and switching xml. As I don't appear to have the appdata\roaming etc...demo \ settings folder I created the shortcut. The properties bit read

"c:\program files\ steam \ steam apps\ common\ football manager 2009\fm.exe"

I tried to add the --reset_preferences bit, but it told me that wasn't a valid path.

Help appreciated as always!

Could you first please verify which of these 2 paths you tried to access to no avail:

1- C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (XP)

2- C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (Vista)

I notice the little you wrote about your unable to access path included 'demo' in it - care to clarify?

Thanks.

hi all, new poster

you all seem to be so helpfull so i thank you all in advance

my problems,

ive installed both on uniloc and steam many times and keep getting the same error.

the first is the set to default 9.1 error, but the game does still start up with this error.

but whenever i go to start a match it always come sup with the crash dumps error. now i did a bit of testing, i put the patch on, chose 1 league and managed to play a match, i then put in my graphics files, it then crashed next time i went into a game.

so im going to try and do it without the grpahics folders now, just installed the patch but i dont know what to do if it comes up with the crash dumps error, im so annoyed as i dont know if i should bother if im going to get maybe half way through a season for it to crash.

so can somebody explain what causes these errors and if i can work aorund them. 1 possibility is that the grpahics files i chose may not be properly compatible with fm 09 i accept that but when fm 09 ones are eventually released and i try to put them in, how do i know its not going to do it again. because once it crashes then it makes my save game corrupt.

why have si done this anyway, theyve tried to be too clever but its just like everyhting nowadays pay more for something that doesnt do its job!

cheers

Could you first please verify which of these 2 paths you tried to access to no avail:

1- C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (XP)

2- C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (Vista)

I notice the little you wrote about your unable to access path included 'demo' in it - care to clarify?

Thanks.

Number 2.

The demo bit was as a result of skim reading further up the page (or a page back) when someone was advised to delete the demo\settings file, but that would probably be because they had downloaded the demo, which I haven't. Doh! Anyway, I am still unable to find

with my actual user name in it, naturally, as a path, though I can find the 'appdata' folder through searching for it on its own. THis gives me the roaming folder, which presents 3 further folders:

1 Football manager 2009 (which contains the folders cache, logs, settings and temporary.

2 Football manager 2009 (audit, data)

3 Installer launcher (cache, logs, settings, temporary).

hi all, new poster

you all seem to be so helpfull so i thank you all in advance

my problems,

ive installed both on uniloc and steam many times and keep getting the same error.

the first is the set to default 9.1 error, but the game does still start up with this error.

but whenever i go to start a match it always come sup with the crash dumps error. now i did a bit of testing, i put the patch on, chose 1 league and managed to play a match, i then put in my graphics files, it then crashed next time i went into a game.

so im going to try and do it without the grpahics folders now, just installed the patch but i dont know what to do if it comes up with the crash dumps error, im so annoyed as i dont know if i should bother if im going to get maybe half way through a season for it to crash.

so can somebody explain what causes these errors and if i can work aorund them. 1 possibility is that the grpahics files i chose may not be properly compatible with fm 09 i accept that but when fm 09 ones are eventually released and i try to put them in, how do i know its not going to do it again. because once it crashes then it makes my save game corrupt.

why have si done this anyway, theyve tried to be too clever but its just like everyhting nowadays pay more for something that doesnt do its job!

cheers

Welcome to the forums me_me1 :)

Have you tried playing the game in 'Windowed' mode?

You can do so via Options -> Preferences -> Display & Sound -> Display Mode (drop menu).

Additionally, this may be of relevance to the other problems you've been facing:

Custom Graphics Errors

We've also heard of people experiencing game errors and crashes after adding custom graphics and logos to the game

Be CERTAIN you have not placed these custom files in your 'Sports Interactive' folder found in 'Program Files'

ALL custom graphics need to go into your 'Sports Interactive' folder found in 'My Documents'

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64821

Hi, have successfully uploaded and activated the game, but having problems downloading the Version 9.1.0 Patch. Everytime I attempt to download, I get a message saying that the file was blocked because it doesn't have a Valid Digital Signiture. I use an XP system, so the Vista solution posted in the first post doesn't work (I've tried). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi, have successfully uploaded and activated the game, but having problems downloading the Version 9.1.0 Patch. Everytime I attempt to download, I get a message saying that the file was blocked because it doesn't have a Valid Digital Signiture. I use an XP system, so the Vista solution posted in the first post doesn't work (I've tried). Any suggestions? Thanks.

try simply downloading from elswhere, i had the same problem, delete that, find another site and see if it has got a valid signature.

Welcome to the forums me_me1 :)

Have you tried playing the game in 'Windowed' mode?

You can do so via Options -> Preferences -> Display & Sound -> Display Mode (drop menu).

Additionally, this may be of relevance to the other problems you've been facing:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64821

aha! i was putting them in my computer, program files, so all i need to do is put the same files into my documents sports interactive (obviously after creating a grpahics folder)?

i hope it doesnt bugger up this time becaus ei thought it was the actual graphic files , but hopefully it was just me putting them in the wrong place. will try this when my game has loaded! crossing my fingers it doesnt bugger up still as will take ages to get rid of again!

have there been provblems with the graphic files even after put into the correct place?? because if there is then i wont bother.

cheers

try simply downloading from elswhere, i had the same problem, delete that, find another site and see if it has got a valid signature.

Tried about 3 different sites so far, all had similarish problems. Will try a few more, but seeing as each one usually takes between half an hour to an hour to download (where only then does it tell me that there's a problem), my patience is wearing a bit thin I'm afraid.

Any other solutions? (Btw, the signiture my PC doesn't recognise as valid is SEGA's)

aha! i was putting them in my computer, program files, so all i need to do is put the same files into my documents sports interactive (obviously after creating a grpahics folder)?

i hope it doesnt bugger up this time becaus ei thought it was the actual graphic files , but hopefully it was just me putting them in the wrong place. will try this when my game has loaded! crossing my fingers it doesnt bugger up still as will take ages to get rid of again!

have there been provblems with the graphic files even after put into the correct place?? because if there is then i wont bother.

cheers

There shouldn't be a graphics related issue, if you perform the above, no.

If you do, and the problem persists, then we're probably dealing with another issue.

Could someone help me. I got the game a few days ago and cannot play on it because when I install it the activation box comes up. I went to do the phone thing and it went fine. The phone said it was activated and so did the computer. I then went to play on it and the activation box came up again saying my trial period has expired. When I bring up the box do I put the code on the back of the manual into the top box and click paste. If so then I have done that but it says the code is invalid and so does the checker on the net. I have typed the code correctly but just incase i have tried every other possability with the i and o's. Can you please help me.

Cheers

Could someone help me. I got the game a few days ago and cannot play on it because when I install it the activation box comes up. I went to do the phone thing and it went fine. The phone said it was activated and so did the computer. I then went to play on it and the activation box came up again saying my trial period has expired. When I bring up the box do I put the code on the back of the manual into the top box and click paste. If so then I have done that but it says the code is invalid and so does the checker on the net. I have typed the code correctly but just incase i have tried every other possability with the i and o's. Can you please help me.

Cheers

go here mate,

http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Already tried that but as I said it says the lisence key is invalid but it isn't! Im entering it exactly how it is and have tried different combinations with the i's and o's.

Okay i tried it agen and now it says

online: (my code in lowercase)

phone: (my code in uppercase)

Please note the differences between "0" and "o"

Thats all it says - so now what do i do?

Experts, any ideas please?

Does downloading from Steam work any better, I have bought the game by Disk.

Have you performed a complete uninstall and then tried to re-install the game?

If you haven't there's a number of posts here covering how to completely clean the machine of FM and then re-install from there but if you can't find them here are the details:

How to complete a Manual Uninstall

To Remove the Game files follow these steps:

Windows XP

1: Open “My Computer”

2: Navigate to “C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive

Windows Vista

1: Click “Start”

2: Click “Computer”

3: Navigate to “C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive

If you have more than one version of the game installed (For example, you have FM2007 and FM2008 installed) and only wish to remove one then go into the Sports Interactive Folder and delete the folder of the game you wish to remove.

Next you need to remove save games and other content:

Windows XP:

1: Open “My Computer”

2: Navigate to “C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\My Documents”

Vista:

1: Click on “Start”

2: Click on “Computer”

3: Navagate to “C:\Users\<Name>\Documents”

Look for the Sports Interactive Folder and follow the same steps for the game files.

Next remove your Cache files

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager 09” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager 09” Folder.

Finally you will need to edit your registry to remove information Sports Interactive stores there.

To do this follow these steps:

Windows Xp

2: Click on “Run”

3: In the text prompt box type “regedit”

4: Navigate to:

Windows Vista

2: In the Search box type “regedit”

3: Navigate to: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\

4: Delete the “Sports Interactive Ltd” Folder.

Note: Please do not tamper with anything else in this folder, your registry is very sensitive and changing something could cause your computer to malfunction.

Just to make sure, check for a folder here:

C:\programdata\sports interactive\

If It exists delete it.

Once all the steps above are complete your computer will be completely uninstalled.

Once you've done that please try re-installing. It would also be a good idea to make sure you are using an administrator account rather than a normal user account.

Can you tell me what your name (login) is?

Okay, so if you're on Vista, the path to your cache would be..

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

Let me know if anything displays once you do.

PLEASE SOME 1 HELP ME PLZZZZ :| ive been trying to get this to work foir about 5 hours now al tell u what it says when i try run the game .. There all invalid tokens so here goes :( ...

They all start with not well formed(invalid token) at line 1 of...

Invalid token at line 1 channel - facegen_channel.xml

channel unit - testing timings.xml

channel machine.xml

file name errors.xml

memory channel open file channel

chanell unit testing errors .xml

channel testing errors output.xml

skin channel.xml

channel test log.xml

at line 1 of default.xml

failed to set up graphics system

serious problem encounterd at crash dumps

please help SOME 1 as best as u can if not im gonna have to take the game back which i really dnt want.plz help cheers man

PLEASE SOME 1 HELP ME PLZZZZ :| ive been trying to get this to work foir about 5 hours now al tell u what it says when i try run the game .. There all invalid tokens so here goes :( ...

channel machine.xml

file name errors.xml

skin channel.xml

channel test log.xml

at line 1 of default.xml

please help SOME 1 as best as u can if not im gonna have to take the game back which i really dnt want.plz help cheers man

Please try the following:

I get an "XML Parsing Error" when launching the game

This appears to happen sometimes if the game encounters a problem and quits unexpectedly and settings become corrupt as a result of this.

Potential workaround:

Deleting your settings should in most cases:

- Make sure FM is not running.

- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, Application Data is hidden by default but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Windows Vista: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Mac OS X: /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009 Demo/ (In the Finder Sidebar: Click your username, then go to Library -> Preferences -> etc..)

- Delete all sub-folders in this (the 'Settings' folder). Do not delete the entire "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Application Data"

- Now try to run the game.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55372

Quote:

This appears to happen sometimes if the game encounters a problem and quits unexpectedly and settings become corrupt as a result of this.

Potential workaround:

- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, Application Data is hidden by default but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Windows Vista: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Demo\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Mac OS X: /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009 Demo/ (In the Finder Sidebar: Click your username, then go to Library -> Preferences -> etc..)

- Delete all sub-folders in this (the 'Settings' folder). Do not delete the entire "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Application Data"

SORRY M8 A DONT UDERSTAND WHAT TO DO CAN U MAKE IT CLEARER 4 ME ? I GOT TO C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2009\data WHAT DO I DO FROM THERE ? THIS IS KILLING ME MAN LOLOL

Well since I cant get a reply of uniloc I am stuck. I cant use the fixv3 because it doesnt work. When i try to enter the code and click save it breaks. I don't know what to do now. It said over the phone that it had been activated so why does the activation screen come up when i click the exe!

Originally Posted by BestyBhoy View Post

PLEASE SOME 1 HELP ME PLZZZZ :| ive been trying to get this to work foir about 5 hours now al tell u what it says when i try run the game .. There all invalid tokens so here goes ...

channel machine.xml

file name errors.xml

skin channel.xml

channel test log.xml

at line 1 of default.xml

Quote:

Potential workaround:

tried wahat u said m8 still the same please help man seriously this is killin me lmao a dnt want to take this game back eff that lol please some 1 help meeee

mate i had the exact same problem

do what i sed above

download it when on a main administrator profile

then install it whilst logged in to another profile (create one if u need to) then it should work because mine did and i had the same error code and everything

log back into main admin profile and play the game

this works for whoever has the DirectX SKD s1023 problem.

Archived