La Nuestra: The Best Players On The Pitch

If you're a fan of football tactics, it is highly likely that you've read Inverting the Pyramid by Johnathan Wilson. It's a fascinating read, one that has elevated the way I look at tactics. One of the most interesting topics was the one on La Nuestra, which back in the 50's was Argentina's romantic way of playing the game, a style built not on tactical prowess, but on showcasing skill and ability. This seemed different than the modern approach to the game, in fact, it was often said of the Argentina manager that he simply put the best players out there. And while La Nuestra was eventually extinguished after the players got too complacent, replaced by pragmatism and the darker arts of football, I was interested in seeing if I could get some success with that idea, a showcase of technical skill and ability while putting out the best players. So that is what I did.

6 hours ago, BasedDarrenMoore said:

a style built not on tactical prowess, but on showcasing skill and ability. This seemed different than the modern approach to the game, in fact, it was often said of the Argentina manager that he simply put the best players out there. 

Didn't we see this with Argentine's National Team at 2018 World Cup? Didn't go so well for them ... so why bring it back?

MODERN ARGENTINA: Or, Trying to Defend with Attackers

It would be an understatement to say that the national team of Argentina is loaded with attacking talent, with such players like Messi, Dybala, Aguero, and Higuain donning their colors. But the defensive talent is somewhat lacking, as evidenced by their dismal showing in the World Cup. As Crusadertar said previously, we want to avoid the mistakes of Sampaoli, although to call his turgid brand of football La Nuestra seems a disservice to the word (with no disrespect to the Sevilla teams Sampaoli led, which I very much admired). To try and combat these defensive frailties, I tried a 343, with Messi and Di Maria hitting through balls to the striker up top.

We went with this formation into our first game against Spain, using a bit of a hybrid Geggenpress. This isn't entirely accurate to La Nuestra, but taking a tactic into the modern age requires some concessions. The Spain game ended in a pedestrian 1-0 to La Roja, a game which started badly after an early goal from Koke, and never looked to get going. This formation seemed ok, but to truly get the most skilled players out we would likely have to switch to four at the back, as none of our players seemed well-suited to the wing-back role anyway.

Switching to a 4-2-3-1 seemed a good idea, as it gave as a chance to have our wing players as well as adding another attacking playmaker that we lacked against Spain. This resulted in a comfortable 3-1 win over Ghana thanks to Icardi bagging two goals. But something was missing, some final piece to elevate this team to another level. We were playing fine, but with these players we have fine is a bare minimum. I was not at all confident about the Superclasico coming up, and needed to find a way to get what I wanted out of these players, or risk going to way of every Argentina manager since Passarella, a failure who couldn't deliver what Argentina are capable of... 

2019-05-18 09_04_02-Football Manager 2019.png

I thought you were going to showcase all the best skilled players? Yet, you put Dybala, Icardi, Pavon on the bench and play with 5 at the back..

Trying to defend with attackers? Yet, you don't use attackers to defend..

What's the point of all this? Yet, you immediately abandon your philosophy..

Archived