Official Q+A Thread - Activation / DRM

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot get my activation to go through, it says it has activated through steam, but now a pop comes up with soft anchor in the top left corner asking me to activate again, once i have put the code in it keeps saying it wont activate because of an internet connection problem, but my internet is working fine. is there any way around this activation part? how can i activate it by phone, and where do you find these numbers.

Cheers

so as it still stands, just to clarify:

i have spent £30 on a game and can't play on it,

can't ring and activate

can't activate online

so basically you lot have my money and i have nothing. some heads have to roll at sega and si for this. an absolute shambles which if the same thing happened in many other fields of business would be illegal.

Guest roberto922

Rich - it's because theres so many people coming on here atm, I wouldn't mind if they were coming on to say something constructive but so, so many are just coming on to troll.

i also thought screw it and gave in and installed steam, activated, downloaded patch then asked to activate over soft ******.

so in a nutshell it means we have parted with cash and si and sega can find no way of letting us use the thing we paid money for be that via telephone, internet or steam.

all we get it, we are working on it. jeez thanks.

Rich - it's because theres so many people coming on here atm, I wouldn't mind if they were coming on to say something constructive but so, so many are just coming on to troll.

are you suprised? people have purchased a product and are unable to use it through no fault of their own.

not many people will just sit back and go "oh ok"

OK, so is the activation server still down? I'm also getting the "Can't access internet" problem when I try to launch the game. I've used Steam, which downloaded the patch first, entered the key, apparently installed the game (although I would also ask do we have to use Steam to run the game once it's finally working? Seems a bit s-l-o-w if you don't want to play online?) and then when I try and launch, it tells you that your free trial has ended (What!?!) and asks for the key a second time. This is when the "Can't access internet" thing appears...

So my real question is, when will the activation server be back up so I can (finally) get to play? I've owned this for 4 hours now and just wasted half my day-off.... Grrrrr!

Seriously though, thanks for trying to keep us updated.

Game has been released too early to satisfy the accountants it looks like. They had made assumptions of significant sales figures in the budget and were getting them by hook or by crook.

Clearly this game was in no fit state for release. The number of 'fixes' alone in the patch is indicative of that (who on earth tested and commissioned this and passed it fit for purpose???) without all this palaver on authentication not working and gadgets to read unreadable activation codes. (no i cannot get my game going either).

Not blaming the front end bods here who are all trying their level best to get us all playing but someone made the decision this was good to go, knowing full well it was going to be mayhem.

Shame on you SI. Customers? Let them eat cake. Suckers will still buy it no matter what we do

Game has been released too early to satisfy the accountants it looks like. They had made assumptions of significant sales figures in the budget and were getting them by hook or by crook.

Clearly this game was in no fit state for release. The number of 'fixes' alone in the patch is indicative of that (who on earth tested and commissioned this and passed it fit for purpose???) without all this palaver on authentication not working and gadgets to read unreadable activation codes. (no i cannot get my game going either).

Not blaming the front end bods here who are all trying their level best to get us all playing but someone made the decision this was good to go, knowing full well it was going to be mayhem.

Shame on you SI. Customers? Let them eat cake. Suckers will still buy it no matter what we do

Hi Guys,

sorry about the delay in my posts I have frantically been trying to get on and post!

The tech team have been in and out of the office working incredibly hard and our great support team are doing all they can to get back to everyone so thank you for your patience and apologies for the delay.

The authentication problems are down to the server yes and I also recommend checking this sticky if you are having other problems:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61131

Sarah

I did mine through Uniloc, and got all the way to the soft anchor part and then put in my code and it came up with this message:

" We're sorry but this installation of Football Manager 2009 Certificate could not be acticated for the following reason: The application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection"

As i did it with Uniloc, there should be a phone number aswell? does anybody know what it is?

Thanks

Phone numbers are by Country. The UK is 0-800-120-3655 but when I phoned it just kept on ringing until it timed out. I still have no answer to how I can Activate FM 2009 when neither the internet method nor the phone method actually work. As you can see from this thread, many people are having the same type of problem.

I bought mine from Amazon and have today returned the game as unuseable - Amazon tell me that today they have received, and agreed, dozens of reqests for a refund.

not being able to launch game because of a graphics file. so i tried the keycode thing agian and it says that its already been verified and i need to purchase a new one. now im really worried thats its messed up big time and im not gonna be able to play the game at all

:(

exactly the same here.. any help would be grateful

Hi Guys,

sorry about the delay in my posts I have frantically been trying to get on and post!

The tech team have been in and out of the office working incredibly hard and our great support team are doing all they can to get back to everyone so thank you for your patience and apologies for the delay.

Unfortunately I have no time scale for the servers coming back up but I am chasing for one internally and will let you know the second I do.

The authentication problems are down to the server yes and I also recommend checking this sticky if you are having other problems:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61131

Sarah

Thank god it isn't just me with the soft anchor EXPIRED! issue .. I was so worried it was just me ... I have not been able to get on here or anywhere near an answer for three hours ....

Can we have some sort of communication with regards to what is actually going on please. A time scale of some sort informing of us of when were likely to be able play the game would be nice and may'be what your actually doing to sort this mess out. This lack of communication is just making everyone more agitated and ****ed off. I've been sitting here since 11 o'clock and the only thing i've learned in all that time is that you've taken the servers down. My mate go his installed just before 11 and it works but i'm not sure what he did, i don't recall seeing any of the softanchor crap when he did it.

Please just give us some indication of whats going on because i am seriously considering taking my game back, getting my money and downloading a pirate copy.

Sorry we can't all be fanboys that won't ever criticize their deities. Next time i go to my local restaurant for dinner and they tell me to queue for 8+ hours and then phone a hotline with my activation code before i can eat, i will happily smile and say 'fair enough i understand fully you are trying to eliminate the problem of customers running off without paying and i will continue to be an ever loyal customer to your great restaurant.' Either that or i could just easily decide never to give that restaurant my hard earned money ever again. One day fanboy you will grow up to become the yesman all good fanboys aspire to be.

Disgraceful launch date really was. I feel like i was robbed when i handed over 41.99euro for this game. I haven been able to play it and I took the day off work to do so. There is noting that can be said or done really to rectify the problems that we the consumers have had today. The people in SIgames office need to hang their heads in shame.

hi i have this problem with is making me curse alot and pull my hair out. i bought football manager first day out as i have done since fm 2005 and this has got to be the worst installation ever in the history of gaming because i installed via steam which was ok waited untill it installed updates fine and then launched football manager 2009 it takes a few seconds and then Unilock page opens up for a reason and asks for my activation code i entered it in then clicked next it then said there is a problem and some rubbish about the internet not connected. but if the internet is not connected how can i be on this website writing this and why should uniloc be poping up when i chose to install via steem. somebody please help me as it was my faivorite game untill now. if there is no answers then im gunna take the game back and buy call of duty 5 instead:mad::mad:

when i try to activate online i get 1 of 2 messages. either ' unable to process unlock request...receive new key via sigagames' or 'cannot connect to internet' and i have connection. i know servers are not too great as some f.m pages wont load up.....ive tried customer support helpline but itis' busy' and cant get thru!!!! please help, f.m 09 demo and now this has just been frustrating so far ;-)

GROPPO.....looks like we have same problem. so far with fm 09 i have installed new drivers, updates etc and now this!!

Hi Guys,

I have been posting as much as I know about the servers in terms of other problems there are several stickies that Miles and other members of SI have posted to help you.

We appreciate that it is frustrating and that you are annoyed but please refrain from the use of profanities it is not helping things further.

We know that this incident has caused great frustration and distress and as our fans this is devastating for us and we are working round the clock to fix it.

Please bear with us in this difficult time, your support and patience is much appreciated.

I truly wish I had more to tell you and as soon as I do, you will know:)

Sarah

I am really struggling with this concept. For 4 hours I have been trying to start a game of FM09. When I install using Steam it tells me I have an invalid code and when I install using the phone/internet option it tells me that it can not connect to the internet! I can but its not putting the 2 together.

The phone number to register is constantly engaged!

Any suggestions?

(Very dissapointing FM user)

Hi All,

As of yesterday, we provided a level of insight into the Activation process for Football Manager 2009. The detail is below. We've now added an official Q+A into the process and the technology behind it from Murray, SEGA's DRM expert. I've decided to combine these into one thread for ease of use and will close the other threads forthwith.

"SEGA Confirm Football Manager 2009 Activation details" - 12th November

SEGA have today confirmed that activation servers for Football Manager 2009 will be turned on shortly before midnight on Thursday 13th November in time for the release date of Friday November 14th across Europe.

Despite the unprecedented anticipation for Football Manager 2009, SEGA would encourage retailers not to break the Friday 14th November street date so as not to disappoint customers who will be unable to play before the release date.

Buyers of the game can activate with one-time entry of the unique code on the back of the game manual by one of three methods

1. Register with STEAM and input the code during installation. This method has the benefit of automatically patching and updating the game.

2. Activation without additional software installation is available direct with Uniloc.

3. For those without an internet connection a local telephone number will be available and presented within the installer for customers to call and register the code. Where possible this will be a local toll free number.

Once the game is registered through any of these three methods the game will be activated and available to play. No further activations will be required unless the user specifically deactivates the machine it is installed on.

Activation for the Australian market will taken place at 6.00 EDT (Sydney) 14th November.

Markets with later release dates such as the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia for Football Manager 2009 and Worldwide Soccer Manager in the USA will have servers turned active for midnight before their respective releases.

Official Q+A - Over to you, Murray:

How many computers can I install the game on?

You can install and play the game on 5 computers at a time. We call these "license seats". 1 License seat = 1 unique computer.

If after 5 computers, I uninstall the game from a computer, can I install it on another machine?

Yes, you can. Uninstalling the game will free up a license seat. You may also free up license seats at the soon to be announced deactivation URL

What happens if my computer breaks? Or I have to get a new computer? Will I lose a license seat?

Yes, but you can reclaim license seats at the deactivation URL. Here you can select computers you are no longer using and free up license seats.

What if I have to uninstall and reinstall 5 times on the same computer? Will I use up all of my available licenses?

No, it will not. Remember - we do not limit the installations. We only limit the "unique" computer the game is being played on. You may install 100 times on 5 separate computers without limitation.

After 5 installs do I have to throw the game away?

No, absolutely not. If you uninstall the game you can free up your license seats. In addition, you can visit: to free up license seats.

Do I need to provide personal information?

No. You only need to provide your license key.

Am I required to be online to play the game?

No. You may choose to activate online or over the phone. Online activation is faster and easier, but after this initial activation, you do not have to be online to play.

How long can I play the game without activating?

You may play the entire demo version of the game without ever activating. Any install of the full game will require activation.

What do I do in the event something catastrophic happens and I lose a 'seat'? Can I get it back?

Yes, you may visit the deactivation URL and release your license seats.

Do I have to use Steam?

No, you can use Steam or Activation Online or by Phone.

What if I don't have an internet connection?

If you don't have an internet connection you can activate the game by phone.

How much will the phone call cost?

Toll free numbers have been provided for the majority of countries where the game is sold.

How long will the activation take?

Online activation takes a few seconds. Phone activation takes about 5 minutes.

How long will the activation servers be available? Will I still be able to play the game 5 years from now?

Yes, we hope so. Nonetheless - after 18 months (estimated at present) we will release a DRM-free version of the game to ensure that you can play in years to come.

Do you collect any data? What data are you collecting?

Yes, we currently collect the Geolocation you have activated the game from. We also take a snap shot of your hardware footprint for the game.

Who will use this data?

This data will used by SI and Sega only to help make sure that future releases of the game have the widest location and hardware compatibility possible.

What software do you use to collect the data?

We use a product called SoftAnchor Insight. We ONLY use the Hardware Insight aspect of this product.

Is the information collected user identifiable?

No, all data collected is completely anonymous and on aggregate.

Are tracking what I do in the game?

No, absolutely not.

Do you install additional secret software on my computer?

No, absolutely not. All DRM related code is contained within the Football Manager 2009 exe. When the uninstaller removes this - there is no DRM related software left on your computer.

Is this a rootkit? Will you leave activation code on my computer?

No, absolutely not. All DRM related code is contained within the Football Manager 2009 exe. When the uninstaller removes this - there is no DRM related software left on your computer. The program will install a license file as well, but this non-executable (i.e. it cannot effect your computer) and will be removed on uninstall as well.

Are you using In-Game Advertising?

Yes, we are using IGA, but this has no correlation to the copy protection and should be addressed in a separate discussion found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60932 .

Do I need to open a port on my firewall?

No, You should not. All traffic is standard web-traffic. It is the same as if you opened a web page.

Will you actively monitor me or my playing habits?

No - we are not doing any play monitoring or analysis. We are *not* using the Feature Insight package of SoftAnchor Insight.

If I buy a copy of FM2009 in the UK can I still play it in the USA?

Yes - we are not blocking authentication based on location.

Will you stop me using D-Tools / Alcohol 120%?

No – we do not stop other software running, we do however block ‘debuggers’ attaching to the FM09 process when running. We believe this is extremely fair and can see no valid reason for a person to be running a debugger against the FM09 process.

How will this affect second-hand games?

This will not affect second-hand games, you can go to the deactivation URL and remove all previous activations, the game will then be as if you had purchased new. The retail outlets are aware of the protection being used and are comfortable with it, there will be no blacklisting etc.

Will third party data editors work?

The FM09 official data editor does work, rumours are that third party FM09 editors are in development – but as you can appreciate we have no direct control over these editors.

Is this going to stop piracy?

No. We expect that eventually the game will be pirated. Unfortunately, piracy is a hard fact in our industry. What we have attempted to do here is create a system by which legal users can get the utmost flexibility to use and play the game in a fair manner. We believe that by putting the hard work into providing a generous 5 computer seat policy and the ability to administer your licenses yourself that most people will not feel the need to pirate the application or put their computers at risk by downloading copies from torrents and will purchase a legitimate copy.

What are your plans for FM10?

We have made no provisions for FM10, but we will hold discussions based on the extensive feedback you have provided (thank you), we will also speak to our copy protection provider(s) and see how best we can accommodate your requirements, whilst retaining a stronger crack-free period. Please be assured that we value each and every FM player and will try our best to accommodate all of the requirements you have set-out.

Thanks for reading. One last point - off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted so please stick to legitimate questions only.

Cheers

Matt + Murray

Hello all,

Im one of the lucky ones who has been able to play the game today.

When i tried to activate using me key it said "could not connect to the internet".

After abouth the 10th try it worked my game was activated and I was hapily playing away.

Now i quit the game after a couple of hours, had some lunch, then decided it was time for round 2.

Now to my dismay I tried to launch FM09 through steam and was greeted by the softanchor activation screen (Again) telling me my trial period had expired, I again Input the activation key and was greeted by the message "This unlock key is already active. To purchase an unlock key plz visit www.sigames.com"

Plz dont tell me Im gonna have to pay another £30 for an unlock key. I didnt realize the game was pay as u play

Im a little dissapointed, took the day off work and went to the shops at 9am, thought i had a long day of management ahead. BTW im in the UK

Anyone have any ideas?

Everyone i have found a solution, it is as follows:

1. Take your game back and get a refund

2. Buy Call of Duty 5

im seriously thinking of it m8 buying fm 09 worst choice of my life sega can make great games and spoil them by tring to make them hard to work for piraters but they forgot one thing customers who buy the game need to actually play it this will be the top game for taking back to the shops tommorow

Here is my problem. I bought the boxed game here in Australia. Already had steam so I chose to activate through steam. I put in my activation code, at first it said it was wrong, I did not change the code, then clicked next again and it worked. I updated the game through steam. Then when I launched the game softanchor asked me for the code so I put it on. It worked. I played for a while. But when I quit and tried to start again softanchor wants my code again because my "trial has run out". I type it in and it says that the code is already in use.

Now after I try it again I get the same internet connection problem.

Uninstalling steam, is not an option for me as I have The Orange box which is dependent on steam and I think you'd have to download all the updates again (and internet is treacle slow in Australia). Not good enough Softanchor (I assume they are the ones to blame?).

Same here jabso, finally got in after much hassle, then I exited, but had to enter the code again(?) to register. Did so, got the same error that the code was already in use..

Sure hope this will be fixed somehow? :(

My copy arrived in the post a couple of hours ago and installation was a breeze. However, activation is a real issue!

1. Firstly, the game cannot connect to the internet despite the fact that the internet works fine for everything else.

2. I turned off my firewall but the game still cannot connect to the internet.

3. I turned to phone activation and called the UK number provided (0-808-120-3655). The phone rang, and rang and rang - then they hung up.

4. I repeated the process but got the same result.

5. I read the book and it gave a different UK phone number (0870 010 8002) but was told that the number was temporarily unavailable.

6. I went to www.sega-europe.com/support and got validation that my Key Code was OK and they referred me here.

Incidentally, Steam is not without it's problems. Even their own web site gives a list of all the programs that cause problems - just look at what they expect you to uninstall:-

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Can anyone please tell me how to activate FM 2009?

Just an update. I got so fed up this debacle that I contacted Amazon from whom I bought the game and they tell me that they have had dozens of requests for a refund all siting an inability to activate the game - i.e. the game is unuseable. They have agreed a refund for me and the game has been returned. - good riddance to a lousy product!

i am from coventry, what number do i call up?

this is pathetic, i am connected to the internet but its saying im not when i blatently am because i'm doing this, you try clicking on the sigames website but its doesnt load. its so pathetic all just to play a game!!!

sort it out

Archived