Can we improve upon current potential system

wardog

Every year I put hundreds of hours into football manager and I want to start this thread by saying I only want to make a great game the very very best it can be. My opinion may not be agreed upon either thus starting this thread offers constructive debate. 

Potential is one thing I think we can make leaps on. And I want to say I love the system we currently use but a few tweaks could make it even better. The addition of the -X5 has helped that although not a recent addition. 

My concern is when it comes to minus number the gap can sometimes be too wide. I was in data errors forum last week discussing what I felt was inconsistencies based on pa of a few players based on their current achievements. The researcher said it would be looked into but also highlighted why that range was correct at least at the top end for a specific player - I can have no arguements with that opinion. 

But it highlighted something to me. And something I've thought about since. In the instance of this unnamed player -7 has to low a potential range. While -75 has to high as the top end would be over what we believe he can hit. The alternative was to give a fixed potential like many others - and intially why I questioned the player along with some others of similar presence who had a fixed pa. Researcher in question was very understanding of my point and replied with his. 

A minus pa means that every save is different. Especially if you play as the same club. And I think that's something that fm should be applauded for while also offering different levels a player could achieve. 

The problem in question for the players I had was they were already just about at the lower end of the potential window given. Meaning a bad roll of the dice meant that a player at 18 was virtually in his peak with only minor improvements possible. Of course this could be the case in real life but for a player who's knocking on the door of the first team for his club, which in turn could open door to country doesn't seem right.

Solution would be a smaller pa window imo. I don't know how easy this would be to do. But to change a window from say 110 to 140 to say 120 to 140 and adding extra windows to suit would be a far stronger idea. Would still offer the variation. While also offering more consistent windows making it easier for a researcher to pick one and protect a player from hitting prime before 20 

• 1 month later...

Archived