Team talks - criticise specific aspect of performance

autohoratio

Currently in team talks, if a player is performing badly, you're only able to say "I'm unhappy about your performance" or "I'm disappointed", unless they made a mistake directly causing a goal or need to stop committing so many fouls.

It would be very useful to be able to say to a player in a team talk at half time (or after the match if converted to past tense) "You're being caught in possession far too much"; "your long pass success rate is dreadful"; "You're losing your marker too easily"; "Look for a pass/cross instead of taking a shot outside of the box"; "You aren't winning enough headers" etc etc. Simply saying you're unhappy with them doesn't provide much feedback and if a player is performing poorly in the first half they'll rarely improve from that team talk alone without further tactical changes.

It's a matter of identifying whether the poor performance is due to their motivation or your tactical instructions really.  I've turned around as many games by firing my players up with an "I'm disappointed" talk as I have from making tactical changes.

If it's a tactical problem then it simply a case of making the change that's causing the problem, it might be that they're caught out of position defensively that could be rectified with a role change or mentality change.  If it's not and they simply should be performing a certain way already then it could be that they don't have the current level of motivation, in which case criticising a specific part of their performance would have exactly the same effect the current "disappointed" speech does, which is usually a boost in motivation.

Lastly it could be due to an opposite number who is completely unplayable that day.  It which case you will have to 1. motivate 2. change player instruction to counter 3. hope, then ultimately substitute and repeat steps 1 - 3.

But ultimately identifying a specific problem plays more into making specific changes to your player instructions/tactic than it does motivation, because the result of the motivation issue is kind of binary anyway regardless of what it is they're not doing.

• 2 months later...

Archived