What does Passes - Defense/Midfield/Offense mean?

This might be a silly question, but does that mean the offensive passes like direct passes but thats unlikely cz most of time that percentage is higher than the other 2 and the Defense percentage is the lowest, what actually they mean? Here below is the screenshot of what I am talking about(Highlighted in the pic).

Real Madrid v CD Lugo_ Stats Match Stats.png

I think (and am willing to be corrected) it is completed passes ratio, by  your Defenders, your Midfielders and your Attackers.

SO, 83% of passes made by your defenders were completed. 89% by midifelders etc.

I would expect defence to be lower - there are always some long clearances to skew that stat slightly, and headed clearances are included as well I think.

Attackers are probably skewed slightly high, as they make fewer passes anyway in general.

So, it is either passes completed by position, or, and I just thought of this, passes made in each action area - so your defensive third, midfield third and attacking third.

I would guess it's one or the other.

5 hours ago, Snorks said:

I think (and am willing to be corrected) it is completed passes ratio, by  your Defenders, your Midfielders and your Attackers.

SO, 83% of passes made by your defenders were completed. 89% by midifelders etc.

I would expect defence to be lower - there are always some long clearances to skew that stat slightly, and headed clearances are included as well I think.

Attackers are probably skewed slightly high, as they make fewer passes anyway in general.

So, it is either passes completed by position, or, and I just thought of this, passes made in each action area - so your defensive third, midfield third and attacking third.

I would guess it's one or the other.

Nope its not like that, I play with only 1 striker and his passes never hit 89 that much as I instruct to play him directly and he always have less pass completion than others along with 2 wide AMs, same with them too, only 2 midfielders are always above 85, one with overall 90+ pass completion and another 86+ pass completion, but this always shows passes-offense to be highest, if you also put those AMs to be forward still it should not be like that and midfielders always have way more PC than others. Its not that simple I guess

Well if you are so sure of what it isn't, you are halfway to working out what it is so I will leave it until someone who knows better can help you.

I was working on the fact that it is a percentage - if your players, attackers or whatever make 10 passes, 8 of which reach the target then they make 80% completion. Your forwards make a lot fewer passes, probably shorter than others do, so their percentage will appear higher. Defenders will have clearance headers and long balls forward to clear the danger, therefore incomplete passes are more likely.

I don't think it covers individual players, and it could lead you in circles if you try and dig that deep- you have one attacker, he touches the ball 50 times, shoots 40 times, passes 10 times, eight passes reach a teammate - he makes 80% pass completion. Your defender, makes 10 headed clearances, 8 of which are picked up by the opposition, he makes 10 passes to the midfielder, 8 of which are complete etc etc. Quite easy to see how an attacker can achieve higher pass completion rates than others, simply down to the fact that A: He makes fewer passes, and B: the passes he makes are generally shorter than his teammates.

That's just my thinking but if u disagree with my offering that's fine - someone will be along soon with an answer who knows more than me.

Yep I get what you are telling but I am telling about my players pass completion, the forwards never completes more than 84-85% of their passes along with my AMs, thats why its strange, I know how to count passes of overall midfield-defense-offense, and I have tried various combinations too but which never works, like counting wide AMs in the Offense category or midfield category, DM to defense category or midfield category, but these never worked along with what I mentioned in the original post like offense passes means passing in the forward direction etc but never found a solutions, here I am giving you some screens like Passes-offense saying 91% but three of my forwards (well if you count AMs as forwards) have pass completion of 90, 96, 96, take their average which is 94! And if you count as only one forward then thats wrong too as he has 96% pass completion, you can count these numbers for other players too, I am giving you the formation along with the roles with the opposition and also for the opponent too.

Sevilla v Real Madrid_ Overview Formations.png

Sevilla v Real Madrid_ Stats Match Stats.png

Sevilla v Real Madrid_ Stats Real Madrid Stats.png

Sevilla v Real Madrid_ Stats Sevilla Stats.png

look at this screen too as to understand what I am saying, look at those forwards, midfield and defense pass completion which doesn't reflect why I always have over 90+ passes-offense, those AMs and ST's overall passing in no seasons get over 85-86! 

Real Madrid Club de Futbol_ Players Players.png

1 hour ago, GreenTriangle said:

Depend where is the player to whom is sent a pass. In he is in his own half = defense. If he is in opposite half = offense. If he is in an area between 25-30 yards from his goal and 25-30 yards to opposite goal = midfield

passing.thumb.jpg.3a8d2dfdee4dbddd685c824ea44fefa3.jpg

yep makes some sense now, thanks cheers :)

20 hours ago, Snorks said:

........  I just thought of this, passes made in each action area - so your defensive third, midfield third and attacking third.

Archived