Dealing with hierarchies

Hi everyone

I'm currently managing Everton on a relatively new save (1st season, 2 matches into the Prem and currently beating Hajduk Split 2-0 on agg from the 1st leg of my Europa League playoff) and I'm already coming across a massive hierarchy/dynamics problem within my squad.

I sold Aaron Lennon to free up some cash but more importantly get his wages off the books. I have recently signed Chris Smalling and he hasn't come cheap wage-wise but brings some quality to my stagnating defence (although Michael Keane is amazing!) and I just didn't see the point of keeping a player I'm not going to play on that kind of wage. I'm also really trying to get rid of Ashley Williams although no one wants him so it looks like I'm stuck with his wages for 2 years as well.

Anyway, the majority of my squad including Rooney, Barkley & Bolasie got very annoyed that I had sold Lennon as he was considered a leader at the club. I thought this was fair enough and realised I had to have a constructive chat with my players as to why I'd sold him.

Or so I thought.

Rooney basically had no interest whatsoever in my side of the story and was adamant that losing Lennon would confine us to relegation (he was almost being that dramatic) and now I have a bit of a problem on my hands with some of my players personally opposing me (Rooney, Bolasie, Niasse, Holgate & Tarashaj). Although the majority of them, and thankfully this included Barkley, understood and accepted (eventually) that my reason for selling him (wages and developing Calvert-Lewin & Vlasic) was just.

I need some advice on if any of you have experience the same problem (as I'm sure the majority of you have) and how you dealt with it? Did you drop the players in question who opposed you to assert yourself? Did you end up apologising with your tail between your legs? I'd love to know because I'm currently getting battered by Chelsea and after an unbeaten start to the season I feel this may unravel now. Also completely off topic, but why are Chelsea so damn unbeatable in this game? I've actually never beaten them in FM, ever.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

I had it with DeGea refusing to accept that Michael Carrick should have been let leave - even though Carrick had asked to move.  Even though I said I would develop younger players (which I'd done). Eventually  his contract was running out and he wouldn't sign. I got an influential team mate to speak to him, and he was fine, though that option now seems to have been nullified because it was too much of a magic button.  (I've tried with less serious situations since the update,  and it no longer works - seems that instead of looking at tweaking it, SI have just turned it off.)

I think the Dynamics aspect is very disappointing, and dominates far too much of the game now. Personally I'm more interested in tactics and team assembly than being a HR manager, but I'm sure there are people who would disagree.  

1 hour ago, scass said:

I had it with DeGea refusing to accept that Michael Carrick should have been let leave - even though Carrick had asked to move.  Even though I said I would develop younger players (which I'd done). Eventually  his contract was running out and he wouldn't sign. I got an influential team mate to speak to him, and he was fine, though that option now seems to have been nullified because it was too much of a magic button.  (I've tried with less serious situations since the update,  and it no longer works - seems that instead of looking at tweaking it, SI have just turned it off.)

I think the Dynamics aspect is very disappointing, and dominates far too much of the game now. Personally I'm more interested in tactics and team assembly than being a HR manager, but I'm sure there are people who would disagree.  

Have you thought of trying FM Touch? "Tactics and transfers without the fluff" is pretty much the definition of it so it might be more what you're looking for than career mode.

13 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

Have you thought of trying FM Touch? "Tactics and transfers without the fluff" is pretty much the definition of it so it might be more what you're looking for than career mode.

I've tried it. I found it shallow.

Archived