Improve My Tactic

Afternoon everyone just messing about with a tactic before fm 2018 and just wondered if people can have a look and give me there thoughts as I plan to use this on fm18.

So my team is                                                                                      sk

fb-support     cd    cd           fb-support

dm-defend

lm-support          cm-box to box             rm-support

am-attack

st-deep lying forward

team instructions play out of defence,short passing,normal tempo,

control with fluid

at the moment its a bit hit and miss so just after thoughts many thanks

3 minutes ago, Ciderarmy said:

Afternoon everyone just messing about with a tactic before fm 2018 and just wondered if people can have a look and give me there thoughts as I plan to use this on fm18.

So my team is                                                                                      sk

fb-support     cd    cd           fb-support

dm-defend

lm-support          cm-box to box             rm-support

am-attack

st-deep lying forward

team instructions play out of defence,short passing,normal tempo,

control with fluid

at the moment its a bit hit and miss so just after thoughts many thanks

What level are you using the system?

When you say hit and miss are there certain teams/systems you have noticed you struggle against? Not saying it shouldn't work but I imagine with a lone CM who is prone to roam about you may get caught a little short there against teams who play 2/3 players in that area?

Hi Marc thanks for your reply I'm using it in the championship and yes I have seen that but it's normally on the counter I get caught out otherwise my fm seems to step up into the cm area so it's not to bad.

i started with a 4-1-4-1 formation but I was really struggling for goals and I would prefer to use this system when fm 18 comes out as my my fave player played in the am strata so trying to find a system that works.

My thinking was the dlf would drop deep pulling the cd out then my am would attack the space and my lm and rm would attack the flanks not sure if it's to one dimensional and easy to defend against.

its hit and Miss as at the moment I've won 9 drawn 8 and lost 8 when it plays it's a really nice system but other games it's very hard to get things work so if anyone has suggestions that would be great 

Hi frank yes like that formation but I always get nervous if I'm not using a dm as a shield in front of the defence and I was always told not to use a bwm in a 2 man midfield as he wanders a lot leaving you exposed in the middle 

like I said not sure if this system can work but I thought I would try before 2018 comes out 

I dislike having my central midfield in a vertical line as it leaves big passing channels between the central and wide players.  Whilst it looks to cut the field in half to limit switching the ball from flank to flank I don't think its worth the vertical penetration.  Especially when your playing Fluid, you have players in lots of stratas but then get them to play closer?   Surely a flat 451, 4411 or 4141 would give a more solid defensive shape?  451 giving a solid midfield line to try and thread passes through or play long passes over it.  4141 with the shielding player and a solid line of 4.  4411 to limit deep players switching the ball easily and the solid midfield line of 4.

What is a LM-Support or RM-Support?  Wide Midfielder? Winger? Wide Playmaker? DW?

Is your DLF a Support or Attack Duty?

The best generic advice I can give is:

1. A more solid defensive formation
  2. Add variety on the flanks, by changing one of the LM/RM duty to attack duty.
18 hours ago, Ciderarmy said:

I was always told not to use a bwm in a 2 man midfield as he wanders a lot leaving you exposed in the middle

Rubbish, a BWM is not some mindless idiot unless you use a player who is mentally idiotic, but then he'd potentially leave you exposed whatever you tell him to do.  It does need to fit with the rest of the tactic though like any Role&Duty you select.

Thanks yes my lm and my rm are both on support like I said I'm just having a look at this tactic to see if it works or not as my fave player will be better in the am strata when fm18 comes out. I have tried 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1 but always struggle to score goals it could of been I didn't use the right roles and duties think if my memory is correct I drew 16 games in the championship scoring only 52 goals. I definitely read that somewhere about the bwm in a 2 man midfield 

19 minutes ago, Ciderarmy said:

Thanks yes my lm and my rm are both on support like I said I'm just having a look at this tactic to see if it works or not as my fave player will be better in the am strata when fm18 comes out. I have tried 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1 but always struggle to score goals it could of been I didn't use the right roles and duties think if my memory is correct I drew 16 games in the championship scoring only 52 goals. I definitely read that somewhere about the bwm in a 2 man midfield 

"LM" and "RM" are positions. We know they are on Support duty.  What are the roles?

Formations are just defensive positioning, how you attack will depend on the roles & duties.  No one really fails to score because they're playing a 532, 4141, 4411 etc, you need to make sure your formation fits your defensive plan and that your attacking plan can be transitioned to.

The roles of my lm and rm are to stretch the play by keeping wide and driving to the byline that's why I was asking if play is a bit one dimensional I did think about bringing one of them inside but I thought with am and the dlf the area would become to crowded 

1 hour ago, Ciderarmy said:

The roles of my lm and rm are to stretch the play by keeping wide and driving to the byline that's why I was asking if play is a bit one dimensional I did think about bringing one of them inside but I thought with am and the dlf the area would become to crowded 

:seagull:

So the actual role of both is "Winger"?  Rather than a "Wide Midfielder", "Wide Playmaker" or "Defensive Winger"?

Considering your Control+Fluid, using Play Out Of Defence and Shorter Passing your probably allowing defences to get organized before one of your wingers crosses it which is unlikely to be a good chance to score.  Plus who is in the box when the cross comes?  If the DLF is support he might be a bit deep when the winger is looking to cross and the AM-A might be near him.  Less frequently than those two you might get the opposite winger at the back post or the BBM in the box.  If you want a wing based style you need to make sure you have good presence in the box and the supply comes quickly before defences get back and organized, your best chance is when a d-line is running back at its goal rather than standing waiting.

There's nothing wrong with having that style, especially if your players are good at it and you commit to it, which playing a Short Passing game isn't doing IMO.  If you want to increase variety then i'd just change one and you won't need to worry about crowding, if anything he may create more combinations than being left out wide and allow the FB behind him more space to overlap.

Archived