Nerdy Macbook and Gameplay question - are you computer-saawy?

Hi, I'm thinking about buying the latest MacBook Pro Touch.

And I'm wondering if there is any difference between the i5 and the i7 when it comes to running FM17/18? There is a major difference in price, and therefore

- 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM

- 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM

- 3.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz, with 64MB of eDRAM

Could any of you give me some recommendations?

I think it's a colossal waste of money - you can buy the same computer in PC form for half the price. 

However, it's up to you. 

You can see there the difference - the speeds start at 3.1 and go up to 3.5ghz. 

Unless you actually need a Macbook - you could get an even better PC for much less.

Where did you get those stats - I can't find anything like that online? 

However, there's a dedicated thread to new laptops - I suggest you post there.

• Administrators

The i7 is a 7567U which is a better processor than the i5 6267U which comes with the i5 model. However unless you specifically need a Mac for a certain software then as a gaming machine a PC based machine will be better value for money and allow you to play more games. 

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The i7 is a 7567U which is a better processor than the i5 6267U which comes with the i5 model. However unless you specifically need a Mac for a certain software then as a gaming machine a PC based machine will be better value for money and allow you to play more games. 

But what would be most effective or sufficient for FM17 or FM18?

In theory FM is pretty much intensive on CPU processing power, so the faster processor (with higher Hz number) the better it is on paper. Other things to look for is the amount of RAM (normally 8Gb or 16Gb) and the hard disk (solid state or SSD is way better). Also another unconfirmed advantage is that since I moved to Mac for FM12, I have NEVER had a crash dump. Not sure if this is due to the different file system between PC and Mac. Or I was extremely lucky even with thousands of hours played.

But to be honest, if you do not really need a Mac, don't get a Mac. For the same price you could get a PC which is technically superior.

8gb is plenty for most systems, more RAM would only come in handy if you're going to be video editing or working on large photos in photoshop or something similar. 

However, getting more RAM can never hurt, but it won't speed up things too much.

SSD - there's reports from others on here that it speeds up the computer as a whole - however, it doesn't do much for save/load times or speed of FM.

It's likely that you didn't spend as much money on your PC than you did on the Mac. I often get reports from people that say they spent £300 on a PC and it was crap - then went and bought a MAC for £1500 and it works great!

No surprise really.

I've a Windows Laptop that I bought in 2012 that runs FM ok - and I've never had a crash dump either. But I spent money on it and bought a good one.

Unless you need specific software only tied to a Mac - then there's very little need to buy one. You can buy the exact same specifications in a good make laptop that you get in a Mac - and you'll spend much less. 

Archived