How to cobble together disjointed parts of the squad?

My idea for managing Alaves has been to have the team transition from a possession-based start of an attack, to a cross-based end. I have a Sweeper Keeper, a lot of DLP-s/Registas, while both of the forwards I use are good at heading. However, things do not seem to be working quite right: my DF should be one of the better players in the team, and yet his ratings are low. Things function better if I play the second striker, who is a DLF. Any way to improve the offensive efficiency of my team?

Alaves_  Overview.png

Alaves_  Overview-2.png

You have run at defense as a TI when you are playing two wingers, who are already going to run at people more often than not. I would take that TI out, see how that goes. Maybe tinker with your wingers so they are not so symmetrical. One on attack duty, one on support, or different roles for one. Maybe inside forward. Also your DFS and APA will often be occupying the same space, I would have thought. One is pulled back, the other pushed forward, so some tinkering there may help as well. If you are looking for the forward to score some headers, maybe a target man role instead, or advance forward so he can pull the defenders out of position and make space for the AP to operate in.

4 minutes ago, Stukey said:

You have run at defense as a TI when you are playing two wingers, who are already going to run at people more often than not. I would take that TI out, see how that goes. Maybe tinker with your wingers so they are not so symmetrical. One on attack duty, one on support, or different roles for one. Maybe inside forward. Also your DFS and APA will often be occupying the same space, I would have thought. One is pulled back, the other pushed forward, so some tinkering there may help as well. If you are looking for the forward to score some headers, maybe a target man role instead, or advance forward so he can pull the defenders out of position and make space for the AP to operate in.

The AP-A was originally an AM-A, but as that didn't seem to get him to be involved, I tried by giving the player his favored role. The TM role has the team lumping high balls to the TM- and I don't want everyone to do it, only the DLP and the players on the wings.

2 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

The AP-A was originally an AM-A, but as that didn't seem to get him to be involved, I tried by giving the player his favored role. The TM role has the team lumping high balls to the TM- and I don't want everyone to do it, only the DLP and the players on the wings.

Yep, that is pretty annoying when you have a Target Man. Perhaps another problem with the involvement of the AM is the roles behind him, the CMD and DLPS are likely to make them fairly distant. Hard to say without watching a game.

It seems to me that it is fairly easy for the AI to match you up defensively, full backs take wingers, CDs take the CF, DM takes the AM, and none of them have to think about leaving their positions to do so. Playing an inferior team you may do well, as your players would likely be better than those marking them. Playing as Alaves against the better sides in La Liga their players are going to be better than yours and you are relying on your wingers to beat the full backs to create opportunities. The opposition can even double up out wide as your fullbacks are not getting involved.

Some extra movement somewhere is what I would look for first and foremost.

36 minutes ago, Stukey said:

Yep, that is pretty annoying when you have a Target Man. Perhaps another problem with the involvement of the AM is the roles behind him, the CMD and DLPS are likely to make them fairly distant. Hard to say without watching a game.

It seems to me that it is fairly easy for the AI to match you up defensively, full backs take wingers, CDs take the CF, DM takes the AM, and none of them have to think about leaving their positions to do so. Playing an inferior team you may do well, as your players would likely be better than those marking them. Playing as Alaves against the better sides in La Liga their players are going to be better than yours and you are relying on your wingers to beat the full backs to create opportunities. The opposition can even double up out wide as your fullbacks are not getting involved.

Some extra movement somewhere is what I would look for first and foremost.

I was thinking of playing a Regista in the back MF row, but what sort of defensive partner would work for him? Also, I do have a variant of this formation that has an attacking FB paired with a Defensive Winger, but since I'm not a strong team, I'm unsure of how wise having a bombing WB is. The FB-D slot is for the other, very defensive FB I have. I have a very strange winger in my team as well. Prefers the winger role, but has a PPM Runs through Centre. Is right-footed, prefers to play on the left side, and avoids the weaker foot. Buuut...he has the best crossing stat in my team. Ibai Gomez. I thought: make the guy fit in, somehow. So, he's supposed to be the AMR.

My initial thoughts are that each player must be very far apart from one another. Two midfielder that hold their position, two wingers disinclined to get in the box themselves and no support from full back either.

Why are your attacks breaking down? Lack of options for the player on the ball? No direct goal threat?

11 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

My initial thoughts are that each player must be very far apart from one another. Two midfielder that hold their position, two wingers disinclined to get in the box themselves and no support from full back either.

Why are your attacks breaking down? Lack of options for the player on the ball? No direct goal threat?

Well, there aren't enough crosses, and the strikers must live off of that, since they both have 17 heading, I believe. I'd like runs from the AMC player to be more frequent, too. When I use the other striker, who is a DLF, the situation looks better. However, I want the DF role specifically because my striker of choice has the attributes for that. Also, a DF would help the entire team hold out better against the big guns of La Liga.

• 1 month later...

When you play the DLF do you change his role?  Balance in the players you use is as important as balance in the tactic IMO.

I personally dislike dropping only 1 of a midfield pair, your building in a gap for passes to get behind your midfield making it easier to play through.  I'd either move the DLP-S into midfield or drop the CM-D to DM-D.  With a FB-D and DM-D you could allow the DLP more freedom as a Regista if you want.

Who do you want to be running at defences?  The wingers will already do that, do you see anyone else's runs creating anything?

If the AMC does make a run past the ST, who is in a position with the ball to try to play him through?

Sounds like your going to be a bit like Moyes Man Utd, remember crossing is actually quite a low % play, especially against organized defences.  Crosses are typically more successful when defenders are still running back towards there own goal.  If you really want to focus on that you might want to try Hit early crosses and get the forward on an attack duty.

2 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

When you play the DLF do you change his role?  Balance in the players you use is as important as balance in the tactic IMO.

I personally dislike dropping only 1 of a midfield pair, your building in a gap for passes to get behind your midfield making it easier to play through.  I'd either move the DLP-S into midfield or drop the CM-D to DM-D.

Who do you want to be running at defences?  The wingers will already do that, do you see anyone else's runs creating anything?

If the AMC does make a run past the ST, who is in a position with the ball to try to play him through?

Sounds like your going to be a bit like Moyes Man Utd, remember crossing is actually quite a low % play, especially against organized defences.  Crosses are typically more successful when defenders are still running back towards there own goal.  If you really want to focus on that you might want to try Hit early crosses and get the forward on an attack duty.

The main issue is- I'm stuck with the crossing approach, unless I buy another, different kind of striker. But then I don't get a proper, capable defensive player. I played the DLP in the DM position so as to link my defense- and the goalie, to the rest of the team. The AMC is the only one who can make runs, realistically.

Archived