The Rise of Diego Simeone 4-4-2

En 29/1/2024 a las 4:41, OConnellFC dijo:

Note: this is still for FM23. I imagine this would work in FM24 too but can't guarantee it. The aim of this is to prove that non-high pressing tactics can win a league. It just takes patience. 

--

While I did not have an invincible season, I set a personal record for least conceded goals in a season - 10. This was an interesting season because we got knocked out of the UCL earlier than I would have hoped. Prior to that knockout, I was using standard passing and pass into space. After that loss, I went more direct and removed pass into space and made the lines even more compact. My team is stacked with newgens, but Real Madrid in my save are unbelievable, so this was a good achievement to win the league. Madrid have the 3x Ballon Dor winner at striker, and the best goalkeeper in the game. They beat us in the Copa del Rey final and won UCL this year, so even though I was disappointed we only won the league and the supercopa, I can't deny that this is as SImeone as it gets. 

Key changes from previous tactics:

- Poacher to an Advanced Forward with dribble more and shoot more often. Even before this change, he was on track to break the scoring record in La Liga, so I'm not 100% sure it made a difference or not, but the team played better. 

- More Compact lines - higher defensive line with low block

- More Direct Passing/Removing pass into space/Keeping run at defense - After losing in the UCL after my defender tried a short pass out the back and we conceded, I just said screw it. Get the ball forward. This seemed to stop us from conceding stupid goals. We never had high possession, but we were lethal on the counter. After I scored 2 goals, I would drop to the low block and shut the game out. Add time wasting, play for set pieces, and get out.

- When we were absolute favorites (generally only used this in the Copa del Rey vs lower teams), I used an Attacking tactic with be more expressive and normal passing to control the game.

Other notes:

- During this season, I had the right WM as a WM Attack and the right fullback as a FB Su. The left full back was a fullback Attack instead of a wing back. But If you set the right WM to a WM Su and set him to cross from byline and dribble more, he acts like a winger without getting too wide. This then gives you the flexibility for fluidity to use a FB on attack on the same flank. I try to keep my fluidity Flexible. This will all come down to your personnel. I just had really good right midfielders that could play traditional wingers but also had the attributes of a traditional attacking midfielder with good work rate and ok tackling. You want your wing players to be more creative and attacking, while the central midfielders need to have the usual high work rate/tackling/positioning etc. 

- Whoever your poacher or advanced forward is... he needs to have good size. Taller, be able to head the ball, and attack well. My forward just won player of the year, so I put his player profile in the images.

- My supporting forward was very much a Griezmann type player - dribbler, flair, passing, not the biggest of size - so I used a false 9. The match engine tends to prefer deep lying forwards, so you can use a DLF with dribble more, but I used a false 9 to be more accurate to the player type. 

- Same OIs as last time. Push the wingers out wide and press them. Mark the more central players tightly as the approach the final third. Have the false 9 (or deep lying forward/target forward) mark the opposition DM. Let your poacher or advanced forward do whatever they want. I don't tight mark the opposition strikers - I just play them on their weaker foot. 

- In the low block, I usually switch to cautious or defensive mentality as the game winds down. You'll note pressing is on standard, so we don't over press. 

Cheers.

10 conceded.png

possession.png

mid 38.png

low 38.png

attack 38.png

ivan sanz.png

442 '38.fmf 63.38 kB · 20 downloads 442 '38 A.fmf 63.01 kB · 15 downloads 442 '38 Attack.fmf 63.05 kB · 14 downloads

It's good to see you again. I'm having trouble being consistent, especially in the championships. I came 4th with 0 wins and 0 points in a group with Manchester City, Lazio and Galatasaray if I remember correctly. Against Real Madrid I can't win, it's impossible for me, I don't even stand up to them. And then there are silly games that I lose. Do you recommend anything to solve this?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic