The Rise of Diego Simeone 4-4-2

On 02/12/2021 at 18:31, Petyr Baelish said:

did anybody try new versions of simeone's 442 home, away and ptb? i tried old one but it did not work on fm 22.

I’m debating picking up FM22 after the winter update (if they manage to fix the IF/IW not cutting in) and trying to replicate the Simeone tactics once again. I held off picking up FM22 due to iffy match engine during the beta. I understand Gegenpress is still overpowered, but the data hub looks very intriguing. I’ll follow-up with a tactic and information if the winter update is good. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After installing FM22 and playing a few seasons with Arenas Club in the lower divisions of Spain, here is my current interpretation of the tactic. Some notable comments:

- Very Direct Passing. I think this description is misleading as it doesn't play aimless long balls. Also a number of the wide players have Dribble More instructions, so they will move forward before passing. The aim was to basically get the ball up the pitch as fast as possible.

- I use Higher Tempo. With Extremely High Tempo, the players were just making bad decisions. The higher tempo in combination with very direct passing achieved the right balance of speed and directness on the counter.

- I previously tried Lower Line of Engagement and Standard Defensive Line, but the match engine seemed to work better with Standard/Standard. The midfield still stays relatively deep even at Standard Line. 

- One Striker says central (in this case the Poacher), while the other striker will move into channels. In my system, the supportive striker is either a PF Su (with Move in the Channels PI) or just a DLF Su. 

- The IW Su players have the following PIs: Cross Less Often, Get Further Forward, and Sit Narrower. When I tried the IW At, they just got too far forward. The Support with the PI get further seems to better replicate the Simeone wide roles

- Both central midfielders play on Support to maintain a flat line. I sometimes add Gets Further Forward on the CM Su. The DLP could be replaced with a BWM Su. If I do this, I would change one of the IWs to a WP on Attack. 

- The WB and FB both have Stay Wider. Th FB At also has run wide with ball. The aim was to have one fullback crossing from the byline, while the other fullback will cross more often from the midfield. I want to keep them wider for crossing and to counter press on the wings.

- I use a SK on Defend just because I like the Goalkeeper to be more aggressive, especially if we are playing the midblock. I don't have the personnel yet to play a high block, but I intend to create one if we manage in the higher divisions. I also ask the GK to distribute over the opposition or I will select my Pressing Forward because he has Target Forward like physicals. I would love to get a tall Target Forward in the future for this tactic. 

- The OIs intend to push players wider. I have tall Central Defenders to deal with crosses. I may continue to tweak these, but I like the way they are working currently. The aim is to press out wide, while maintaining shape in the middle. If we lose the ball in attack, press the hell out of the opposition defenders. 

I've attached a Home and Away version of the tactic. The away version drops the lines to Lower/Lower, removes Prevent GK distribution, and adds plays for set pieces. I've also made set pieces that fit my current crop of players. I may opt to have my wingers take corners as my fullbacks are pretty poor corner takers.

Performance - 

So far, we've gotten promoted from the Fourth division and sit in the Third division in the playoff spots. With a better team, I might switch to Slightly Direct Passing and Work Ball in the Box as we do take a ton of shots. I want my team to shoot in our current division, but I may also add PIs to shoot less often in the higher leagues. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.12.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.12.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.13.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.25.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.29.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.34.14 PM.png

442 Simeone '23 H.fmf 442 Simeone '23 A.fmf

Made slight tweak today after going through a bad run and this seemed to work really well. Changed the the fullbacks to CWBs, which made the system Fluid and got them much closer to the midfield (see the With Ball average position) I also adjusted the width in attack to standard. The IWs were bunching up with the forwards too much on narrow attack. Updated tactic attached. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.09.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 11.09.27 PM.png

With Ball.png

Without Ball.png

442 Simeone '24 H.fmf 442 Simeone '24 A.fmf