Help My 4-4-2 pls

Hello i just started a new save with Espanyol. I am playing 4-4-2 with defensive mentality and flexible team shape. I use only shorter passing as TI. My system is this:

DLF(S)        CF(A)

WM(A)        MC(d)          BTB(s)      W(S)

WB(s)         DC               DC           FB(A)

I use PIs for wm to replicate inside forwards. Also w(s) has get further forward pi. Some notable ppms are dlf - come deep to get ball, cf - play one twos and btb - arrives late into opposition are.

So my problem is in defence. I have some decent centre backs but conceded 7 goals in last 3 games. there is a gap between my defence and midfield also my midfield cant handle 3 or more opponents' midfield players. They are just outnumbered. 

My plan is to make wm(A) to wm(S) and give him sit narrow pi. Also i plan to increase defensive line. I dont know if i should touch team shape as it affects the space between lines. Do you have any suggestions to this setup? Is it balanced or have an obvious weakness? I need some help about this. 

I think your idea to change the WM(A) to WM(S) is sound as he should be more likely to get back and help the defence, and will keep a more even line across the midfield. Similarly, you might want to do the same with the FB(A). The thought of moving the D-line forward is good, but you'll find that changing to a STRUCTURED team shape will have your players maintain their defensive shape better. You might also look at reducing the width a notch too, making them more compact. The other role you might look at is the BTB midfielder. He will be less enthusiastic about bombing forward as a CM(S) but it's worth a try to see if it shores up the defence a tad. Good luck.

the WB (s) and FB (a) are the trendy thing to do ... but in a 442 I always think I want my wingers to be the primary attacking width. Attacking full backs and wing backs are great in a tactic that doesn't have wingers. But in your tactic - On the right side I'd definitely want my full back to stay back in support of an attacking winger. (surely the winger has better dribbling and crossing stats, and the FB has better defensive stats?) ... you may then want the left back to be attacking if your WM is cutting in as auxiliary CM.

Your two CMs need to be more  disciplined, particularly against 3 man midfields.

The CM(d) has "close down more" by default now so he'll be chasing the opposition around off the ball. The B2B will be roaming everywhere when on the ball. Both situations will leave you vulnerable during transitions. 

I've found a DLP(d) besides a CM(s) to be working okay for the couple of 4-4-2 games I've played recently (Villa). I haven't found their to be a significant gap between my defence and midfield, but granted, I am using very fluid. 

Archived