[FM17] When AI becomes a player... Or player becomes AI? Mission impossible

Shevchenko

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

February 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

qqoYeKC.png

We bottled it against Knockbreda and, to be fair, they deserved to win as they played high-pressing counter-attacking football. But we managed to shock Lurgan Celtic despite being down a goal going into the break.

P6YgPqN.png

Player to watch

18c Hamilton AML (FPro) - off the bench to get a goal and an assist in the crucial win against Lurgan Celtic.

jpxFfG7.png

Highlights of the month

18m Watson P (Bal) - touch, turn, bang!

Manager thoughts

Downside: I think we'll regret not winning the Knockbreda game... 18n Waterworth P (Bal) LEFT has left the club to join Dunmurry Rec (4th tier). He didn't want to sign a new contract without us securing our place in the Championship for next season. Oh well, we have a new intake soon anyway.

Upside: We are still in with a chance of survival. I have also managed to get 18c Hamilton AML (FPro) to Fairly Professional personality through tutoring (was previously Low Determination). Remember, our only FPro player was 18h Smyth AP (Pro) who came throough the academy and he ain't no captain oto be a tutor. So it was a combo of a Balanced (McDermott AMR) and Light-Hearted (Upton AML) personalities that did the trick. Wll see if these two players can do this trick again.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

Youth Intake 2019

WQfjRv4.png

Based on personalities - poor. Based on variety and CA - mixed thoughts despite some 1.5 CA stars,..

Goalkeepers:

19a Holland GK (LDet)

7LHyojX.png

Nothing spectacular.

Defenders:

19b Dempsey DR (FDet)

bzjRKph.png

190cm with 4 heading and 4 strength... Will play as rightback.

19c Kelly DC (LDet)

l5wFNZR.png

Another shocking defender with no pace whatsoever... No hopes for him.

19d Doran DR (Bal)

lVfuMrM.png

Physically strong but those technicals are killing me...

19e Buchanan DC (FPro)

Sw9JsD6.png

The only positive personality. He has a lot to do to make it into the team. But if we get relegated, I might give him a go to boost his development.

19f Nelson DC (LDet)

nYfqMYY.png

If he can get his speed up to at least 8 or 9, he has a chance...

19g Jennings DL (Sport)

58BAJQ4.png

Mentals are OK, technicals are shocking.

Midfielders:

19i McCormick BWM (Cas)

A02w5U4.png

A master of none...

19k Coughlan AP (Unamb)

Tc5mVRD.png

No high hopes for him...

19l Jeffrey AP (LDet)

70vBCDZ.png

Slightly better, may become a solid NIFL PIL player.

Wingers

19h Whitten AMR (FDet)

5oXnTRY.png

Won't get far with only his speed.

19j Taylor AML (Bal)

oqmnWby.png

Pretty awful as well.

19m Nixon AML (Bal)

Q98UZf3.png

Even his speed is poor but who knows...

Strikers

19n Gray DF (Unamb)

au9rsdC.png

A master of none...

19o Brownlee P (Bal)

j6GrlJd.png

Very poor mentals but has potential to shine.

19p Jennings AF (Casual)

tA0Ku2M.png

I like this lad the most from this intake. A proper Advanced forward with some potential. And I need proper advanced forward, can't do much with only poachers up front.

And this is how they look within the squad after signing contracts.

gbp3Zav.png

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

March 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

MKFbtUe.png

Another great win allowed us to jump up to 10th as the league got split. 19p Jennings AF (Cas)'s debut was sensational as he grabbed a brace! 5 games to go and we have a chance...

T1C6rF9.png

Player to watch

19p Jennings AF (Cas) - he may be our future star... If he develops

7cAZ3GY.png

Highlights of the month

19p Jennings AF (Cas) - what a way to introduce yourself!

Manager thoughts

Downside: When the transfer window was closing, one of the teams almost grabbed young talent 18a Nixon GK (Bal) on a free but he didnt like the offered wages. He didn't want to sign a contract with us until we'd secure our place in the Championship for next season. Pure luck that he stayed with us... But Warrent Pinkerton P (Bal) LEFT, our pentatrick hero, left for Dundela for the same reason...

Upside: New contract, morale is high, it's all in our legs now...

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

April & May 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

A5w8d3H.png

Oh yes! We have done it! The biggest result was, of, course, the 4-1 thrashing of Armagh where everything went our way. It was all decided in the 3-0 loss against institute as results went our way and Armagh also lost their game meaning we would guarantee ourselves 10th place in the league. The last game of the season didn't mean anything - a full side and bench of youth prospects gave a good fight in a narrow 2-1 loss to Donegal Celtic. 

QxiT6dB.png

Armagh survived the relegation playout, P.S.N.I won against Bangor but couldn't get up as they lost against premiership side Warrenpoint in the promotion play-off.

Player to watch

18c Hamilton AML (FPro) - he doesn't look even close to being a top player even for the 3rd tier but he was on fire with 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 games, just when it mattered.

Y1v7fC3.png

Highlights of the month

18c Hamilton AML (FPro) - nothing too spectacular, just a good finish from a good team play.

Manager thoughts

Downside: The budgets for next season are in... We had a wage budget of around £1.4k per week. Now we have a wage budget of... £455 per week! This is almost a disaster... We are currently spending £449, just £6 under the budget... We are £41k in the red, meaning our financial status is insecure...

Upside: With the exception of staying safe, none really... I have no idea what to expect from our next season with such a financial shock...

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

Season 2018/2019 Review

NIFL Championship

Board expectation - fight bravely against relegation Our result - 10th

League Graph | Results | Transfers

Toals Steel & Sons Cup

Board expectation - Third round Our result - Fourth round

Irish Cup

Board expectation - Fifth round Our result - Fifth round

League Cup

Board expectation - Be competitive Our result - Second round

Intermediate Cup

Board expectation - Second round Our result - Third round

County Antrim Shield

Board expectation - First round Our result - First round

Awards and Stats

Club Awards | Best players| Best XI | Team 1 | Team 2

Season by season overview

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

NIFL Championship

Season 2019/2020 Preview

Board expectations | Budget

The budget... it's killing me :( . We are in for a massive struggle this season. My aim is to give game time to the best youth prospects and hope we'll once again finish 10th in the league. In other news, Conor O'Hara DC (Bal) retired at the age of 34. Won't miss him at all. 19 apps (18 in the cup games) under my reign.

5 hours ago, pheelf said:

Well done on keeping them up.

Now that the players have a season worth of experience at the Championship level maybe they can push on so that the team isn't involved in another relegation battle next season

Cheers, Actually, I'd rather make them fight against relegation but actually play more of the youngsters. There are some players that have potential to be Championship (2nd tier) quality (according to my staff). I know this is NOT the case as the staff has poor judging ability, but this should mean that players have Intermediate League (3rd tier) quality. And I know that Intermediate League level players can be good enough for regular 8-10th place in the Championship. Thus, I am regularly playing some youngsters and those that have FPro personalities to boost their development.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

August 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

qto2dim.png

Well this surely is a positive start to season! August is always fixture-mad due to different cups and rotation is a must. We started the season against arch-rivals Ards and deservedly punished them 2-0. We had 23 (!) shots in this game, something I thought would never happen with a team like ours. We followed with a disappointing loss against Newington as we were winning going into the break but bottled it in the second half. The game against Loughgall was a real merry-go-round - we were winning 3-0 with 2 goals in two minutes, then it went to 3-2 with my keeper pulling off some fantastic saves despite conceding twice, and then we scored two more within two minutes! A real show for the neutrals that one...

i5oQR3s.png

County Antrim Shield

NSWdTGB.png

Very disappointed to be drawn against champions Linfield. Although we were thrashed 4-0, we were very unlucky not to score at least twice. i did field a lot of youngsters that don't have a chance to play for the first team to keep key players fresh.

League Cup

yRsjy2D.png

Again some rotation, although this time we've won both if our encounters against 4rd tier teams. The win against Dergview was the real morale changer as we hit 3 past them in the second half to thrash them 4-1 and build morale going into that 502 thrashing of Loughgall in the league...

Steel & Sons Cup

8E4pKAs.png

An easy stroll against a non-league side.

Player to watch

18c Hamilton AML (FPro) - he is an animal! He is not technically gifted but he can play  as a lower league superstar sometimes. Got 3 assists in the thrashing of Loughgall!

T32DeTk.png

XGSnnWr.png

Highlights of the month

19p Brownlee P (Bal) - a venomous strike on the second attempt!

Manager thoughts

Downside: I can't actually complain... :) 

Upside: We are in good form and I am hopeful we can continue this form into September. I also became 3rd best manager of the month which is always pleasing.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

September 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

PkhWPAN.png

I guess we're already out of steam... Too many unlucky results as we've played well in the majority of games but couldn't break teams down. The only bright spot was the 4-0 thrashing of Larne with a hat-trick from targetman 18k Kelly TM (Bal).

oojyPNq.png

Steel & Sons Cup

evcqYIA.png

Two more wins and we are into the quarter-finals.

Player to watch

18k Kelly TM (Bal) - the hat-trick hero against Larne

hZ2fgJe.png

Highlights of the month

18a Nixon GK (Bal) - a fantastic month for our keeper as he netted in 2 penalties and a free kick.

ihCTTzT.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: After a fantastic start to the season we are currently down in morale and can't get even a draw while playing well. This is also due to me trying to get some youngster more game time, including in defence. This is the only way to boost their development.

Upside: There is slow progress in the development of some players, hopefully they will blossom in a year's time for us.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

October 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

z9xlm8j.png

A much better month. The loss against Carrick was disappointing but they are the team relegated from the top flight (yes, they are dead bottom and yes, it was their only win so far in the Championship). The last two games were very nervous and I thought we'd bottle at least one of them... Welders scored both of their goals from penalties and Newington came from 3-0 down after the first half to get two back and nearly equalize late on! 

And after the Newington game this happened...

M8bip31.png

:cool:

ZfXEZdE.png

Steel & Sons Cup

NPOgZno.png

Very disappointed to have crashed out of the cup from a non-league side. Yes, I've played a weakened team but they actually were the better side on the pitch.

Irish League Cup

Ok8iV7o.png

Scraped past NIFL PIL side Dundela on penalties. Deserved the win.

Player to watch

18o Dickson DR (Bal) - he hasn't been outstanding but he has already grown into one of our best players. He was 3 silver stars when coming into the team and now he is... 3.5 gold stars! The stats don't actually look amazing but he is averaging over 7.00 in the league and still has room to improve.

88VuEXG.png ===> uIT7oHp.png

Highlights of the month

19p Jennings AF (Bal) - A fantastic goal from the 16yo lad.

Manager thoughts

Downside: The Malachians game is something I am not happy about. We had a great chance of getting into the final...

Upside: It looks like there  won't be a relegation battle this year!

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

November 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

1SOmr80.png

Not even close to what I had in mind... Ards smashed us and P.S.N.I were once again lucky as we were better on the pitch in all aspects of the game, except finishing our chances. And the league looks VERY tight... Need wins...

PTbHl4V.png

Intermediate Cup

yGM0kgz.png

A good win against a non-league side. A poor loss against a non-league side in a game we had to win and had a clear cutter 15 seconds before extra-time...

Irish League Cup

611KSxH.png

Our best ever result in any cmpetition as we simply demolished a Premiership side and cruised to the semis!

Player to watch

Tony Tumelty P (Bal) - he didn't have much game time this season but he put in a great performance in the League Cup game.

Is0Q6RS.png

Highlights of the month

Tony Tumelty P (Bal) - receives, turns, scores!

Manager thoughts

Downside: Our form has dropped and it may be the case when we drop down to relegation playout group before the league splits.

Upside: None currently, will see how things go in December...

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

December 2019 Review

NIFL Championship

as1wKwg.png

If you look at the table, these two draws might look like good results against decent teams. But to be fair, we were lucky not to lose against Larne and were very unlucky to draw against Institute... to concede a late equalizer on the 91st minute being the better team due to an error from 18a Nixon GK (Bal)... He got a 5.8 ratings because of that error. These draws drop us further down the ladder and we are only 6 points from the relegation-threatening 11th place.

uQV25nC.png

Irish Cup

ZrSSoud.png

We needed extra time to get part rivals Ards. A hard fought win and we're through to the 5th round.

Irish League Cup

xUI87gn.png

The dream is over. We were crushed by Premiership side Crusaders in the semi-finals. A great run in the cup, I'm proud.

Player to watch

19i McCormick BWM (Bal) - he is a lad I'm interested in playing more often. Has 5 star potential.

tDjI6KJ.png

Highlights of the month

18k Kelly TM (Bal) - a fantastic assist, the ball goes throught the keeper's legs for an easy tap-in.

Manager thoughts

Downside: The poor run in the league has to stop sooner rather than later... I might have to tweak my tactics.

Upside: It's always nice too win against your rivals, it helps boost morale.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

January 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

LSswmwg.png

If you want to go on a winning streak, why not start by destroying the league leaders? After struggling to earn a point against 11th place Loughgall, I was really angry and motivated the team for a win. We then played Dungannon in the cup (more on that later) and took on Bangor in the league who were flying high at the top. More shots, more possession, 3 goals, 3 crossbars within 15 minutes (!!!) and a great chance to finally go up the table. I am trying to get top-6 before the league splits...

Qu0mugt.png

Irish Cup

8cpxuth.png

2-1 up after 20 minutes and then a red card to go down to 10 men. ended up 4-3 winners... The fairy tale continues.

Player to watch

18a Nixon GK (Bal) - our keeper. Already on 6 goals this season.

RPznWpg.png

Highlights of the month

18a Nixon GK (Bal) - his goal against Bangor.

Manager thoughts

Downside: With the youth intake on the horizon in a few months, I'm looking forward to releasing some 30+ players with low determination and Balanced personality that don't play in the first team. This would decrease the workload for my coaching staff. And I am hopeful for some key positions on the intake, more on that to follow.

Upside: We've finally won a game in the league!

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

February 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

b9YHxK5.png

Mixed thoughts this time. An important win against Armagh saw us jump towards the top of the table but Carrick... Carrick were relegated from the Premiership last season and now find themselves on the verge of a second relegation in a row. And they got a man sent of after 72 seconds (!) but we just couldn't break through their parked bus despite having 16 shots... 2 games to go before the league splits.

Zwz9gTc.png

Irish Cup

HDOqH4b.png

The dream is over. We managed to hold on to a 0-0 draw at home to Glentoran but lost 1-0 away in the Replay.

Player to watch

19i McCormick BWM (FAmb) - this lad has great potential and can surely become a key player for us in the future. Made the most interceptions in one of our games this month.

dQ6MJCJ.png

Highlights of the month

19p Jennings AF (Bal) - our only goal this month.

Manager thoughts

Downside: Our strikers are very inconsistent. Remember Kane Connor P (Bal)? He was our top striker last season. This season he's scored 4 goals in 12 (+11 off the bench) games and complains that I don't give him much game time. The youngsters are also inconsistent but I can understand that and still try to give them more game time. I have also made an "out" transfer - Cathal O'Kane DC (Bal) LEFT, a 32yo centreback with poor determination (4) and declining physicals that wanted more first-team football.

Upside: Only the league to focus now,,. Let's try to get top-6!

Just a small analysis of our squad and thoughts on the future intake.

We have a whole bunch of veterans (30+) and I am planning to keep only those that will play or can tutor the youngsters. Steven Hislop BBM (Bal) and Ryan Dunlop AMR (Bal) look likely to leave.

XbWZOVE.png

This is our small bunch of players that are not veterans. Just the 3 players. Chris Boyd DC (Bal) might leave. Craig Gardiner DL (Bal) is one of our best players, he had Determination=1 at the start but got it up to 3 during the course of the year,

UNBrd7X.png

This is our bunch of players from the first intake. Most of them have improved. I will be keeping them as long as possible as their wages are just 1 pound with the exception of 18a Nixon GK (Bal). You can see that our keeper and 18o Dickson DR (Bal) have particularly improved.

9Hm3Nmv.png

This is our bunch of players from the second intake, Some of them have improved. Some have surprised me as I thought they wouldn't be good enough. I am hoping that 19e Buchanan DC (FPro) will become consistent sooner rather than later as we need solid defenders.

ehKonzW.png

As you can see, not everything is that bad. With the intake a week away, I am looking for three key positions:

• Right winger - we have players here, but most of them do not perform.
  • Central midfielder - we need a quality box-to-box midfielder in the center to partner with an advanced playmaker.
  • Central defender - we need a player with good physicals, including acceleration and pace as most of our youngsters are very slow.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

Youth Intake 2020

OWZyMxI.png

I think this is our best intake so far by both personalities and CA/PA. Tons of wingers though...

Goalkeepers:

20a Kelly GK (Bal)

Yf6Y6Rb.png

Another poor keeper.

Defenders:

20b Crawford DC (FSport)

DzQxInD.png

One of our best youngsters. Just what the doctor ordered - a central defender with good speed and determination.

20d McKinstry DL (Bal)

BF8lJhE.png

Not sure he'll be quick enough for this league...

20e Watson DC (Bal)

l2XVzeQ.png

Another solid central defender. Will see how he develops but he is surely better than some of thelads from previous intakes.

20f Jenkins DC (Bal)

OtWI7Gn.png

Not sure about him, will see how he develops.

Midfielders:

20c Buchanan BWM (FPro)

gyf1X2O.png

Yeah, youre a funny guy! You want to be a central defender or rightback with 157 cm and Jumping of 1??? Naaaaah, don't think so... Off you go to become a ball-winning midfielder (hopefully).

20i Turner AP (LDet)

0xaTs35.png

Not the worst player coming through our ranks, but I'm not sure he'll be good enough.

20l Magill AP (FSport)

lZWghfb.png

Despite his shocking physicals, he can become a solid advanced playmaker for us. Has some interesting PPMs as well.

Wingers

20g White AMR (VAmb)

5xPzm6B.png

What's with those wingers with poor technicals? He won't be good enough I'm afraid.

20h Hamilton AMR (FPro)

SWx4Tfi.png

Same here, even despite his personality...

20j McGivern AMR (Bal)

7WkHQyq.png

At least he can run... and cross.

20p Brown AMR (FPro)

VT2gzXc.png

Now this one is different. He is an AMC (Which I don't use) with solid both feet... I am currently thinking of retraining him as an Inside Forward...

20k Young AML (Slack)

OdHWH51.png

He looks good. If we can boost his Professionalism, he might become a first team player.

20m McBride AML (FDet)

4BVGFAs.png

Nothing spectacular.

20o Devine AML (VAmb)

JnldtFj.png

Has a chance to become a good player.

Strikers

20n McConnell AF (Bal)

ki012CQ.png

Our only striker in this intake. A good Advanced Forward, will surely score a few goals for us.

gl01XaO.png

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

March 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

nZty6cR.png

A perfect month as we cruised past both teams to grab a sensational 4th place before the league splits.

CJ20GiL.png

Player to watch

Mark Drysdale (FSport) - one of the veterans at the club was great at the back and deserves a bit of praise.

5GlGoyR.png

Highlights of the month

19p Jennings AF (Bal) - found enough space to put the ball past a crowded box of defenders.

Manager thoughts

Downside: Nothing of note. Well, I actually had to release a couple of players - some veterans that weren't good enough to play or tutor, and some of the youngsters that didn't develop to decrease the workload of my youth staff.

vmf2Hqp.png

Upside: We can actually push for a play-off spot... But I'm not eager to do that, we are not ready. Yet.

On 08.12.2016 at 11:11, Shevchenko said:

FO4jDTT.png

They are a 2nd tier Hungarian side sitting in mid-table. Declined. This is a one team save. Although I haven't been offered a new contract yet, it expires in 3 months...

8lIBvBU.png

That's the second time they've come for me.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

April & May 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

9B4ooDs.png

I decided to mostly play the youngsters. As you can see, it didn't go well at all... I might have to change my tactics for next season and give it a go with the youngsters. Haven't decided yet.

32IGQ9l.png

Player to watch

18d Marks AMR (Bal) - one of the few lads that did well in this last spell of games.

UtCbUKY.png

Highlights of the month

18d Marks AMR (Bal) - his second against Ards.

Manager thoughts

Downside: The yougsters are not ready yet for the big games. They get frustrated and they are inconsistent. But I beleive in them.

Upside: I thought we would struggle in the league. Instead, we finished in the top half. Let's build on this!

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

Season 2019/2020 Review

NIFL Championship

Board expectation - attempt to avoid relegation Our result - 6th

League Graph | Results | Transfers 1 | Transfers 2

Toals Steel & Sons Cup

Board expectation - Third round Our result - Quarter final

Irish Cup

Board expectation - Fifth round Our result - Sixth round

League Cup

Board expectation - Be competitive Our result - Semi final

Intermediate Cup

Board expectation - Second round Our result - Second round

County Antrim Shield

Board expectation - First round Our result - First round

Awards and Stats

Club Awards | Best players| Best XI | Team 1 | Team 2

Season by season overview

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

NIFL Championship

Season 2020/2021 Preview

Board expectations | Budget

Nothing new here, I'm afraid. The aim is to avoid relegation and the wage budget has been cut again, this time it's around £350 per week. It is more than enough as we are currently spending around £200 per week. The one big notice is that 6 veterans retired after the end of last season, leaving us a bit short in the tutoring department. With our youngsters being mostly inconsistent, this is going to be a real struggle this season. So my realistic aim is to finish the season in 7th-8th place. A tactical rethink is also on the cArds, as I want to try and play possession football again and drop the counter-attacking style.

After a few thoughts I have decided to go to a control-based tactic and play only the youngsters in league games (unless the veterans start complaining about lack of first-team football). This is who I see as my best XI. Ignore the AML position stars, I am currently retraining 20p Brown AML (FPro) from AMC to AML as an Inside Forward.

nb1OXQx.png

15 hours ago, jengaehassim said:

You should consider using a DLP instead of a TM, since the latter encourages direct passing in his direction, contradicting your patient, possession tactic.

I actually don't have players that are good enough to be DLFs. I can use a Poacher but the idea of a TM is to hold up the play and involve other players into the play. Kelly also has a powerful shot, so he can bang them in when possible. Can't complain after August games.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

August 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

RuCf10s.png

A great start to the season from the youngsters. We had big problems with games against Donegal Celtic (19g Jennings DL (Sport) sent off in the 80th minute) and against Institute (18o Dickson DR (FAmb) sent off in the 77th minute). Some referees just hate us for some reason, most of the fouls were not even close to wreckless or aimed at stopping a counter-attack. But we did great in these games which gives us a top of the league position.

4s753au.png

County Antrim Shield

wkkF16l.png

Unlucky. We were 2-0 up but collapsed later on and failed to beat Premeirship side Crusaders on penalties. 19g Jennings DL (Sport) was sent off (yes, again) on the 116th minute.

Steel & Sons Cup

oAM5ghw.png

A shock loss against a non-league side at the first hurdle. Craig Gardiner DL (FAmb) was sent off on the 71st minute...

Player to watch

19k Coughlan AP (FAmb) - 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 PoM in all competitions.

yXoaPog.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: These yellows and second yellows are ridiculous... My leftbacks were second yellow'd 3 TIMES within 6 games and my rightback back was second yellow'd once as well. This comes with an injury to 19g Jennings DL (Sport) for 3 to 4 months... Some one-sided referee-ing in a few games... We had cases when 50% of the fouls got us yellow carded... Pure luck that we've still managed to get 10 points in the league.

Upside: Don't think we'll struggle to survive this season. And I hope some of the youngsters will shine as well.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

September 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

A2tdnkw.png

Overall it was a good month and we are top of the table after 8 games, As usual, we struggled against the weakest team in the league, earning a tough point against Loughgall. We then managed to shock recenly relegated Glentoran as we took our chances in a game where the vistors played much better and desrved at least a point. The game against Lurgan Celtic was the opposite of the Glentoran game as we fell to our first defeat in the league. The month finished with a good 2-0 win against Knockbreda,

iVekWrM.png

League Cup

M1u0KQx.png

Surely not our year in the cups. Not complaining, we can focus in the league.

Player to watch

20b Crawford DC (FSport) - a 7.36 ratings over the last 5 games. He is growing into a solid defender.

QIkHakp.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: Crashing out of the cups so early wasn't according to plan but, to be fair, I'm happy with how we played.

Upside: Looks like a top-6 finish is a possibility once again. We are playing much more solid at the back.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

October 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

qSUJ1Uq.png

A fantastic month sees us stay top of the table and fighting for promotion. We failed to show resistance against H&W Welders but bounced back with a shout as we demolished recent Premiership side Carrick 3-0. We continued our good run with solid wins against struggling Donegal Celtic and Larne. Despite the wins, we are not playing like champions and often have to fight hard and be solid in defence to earn three points. For example, Larne had 22 shots (!!) to our 9 ut they managed only 2 shots on target thanks to quality defending and pressing. We are not ready for the Premiership.

FxG312t.png

Intermediate Cup

BsIsRZs.png

A rotated squad had to play extra-time to go through a non-league side. A very good display from some of the other lads that are not good enough for the first team.

Player to watch

18o Dickson DR (FAmb) - averaging over a 7.00 in the league and he has almost peaked his development with 4.5* CA. Our best player at the club in my eyes.

WL8RNNT.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: Teams are after some of my players - usually from the 3-4 tiers. So I have to give the players better contracts and the wage spending has increased.

Upside: Everything is shiny in the league. The aim is top-6.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

November 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

kergNiq.png

Just the two games in the league this month - we deservedly beat Newington at home but failed to pull off an upset away against promotion contenders institute.

uNlSQgF.png

Intermediate Cup

1bthcpV.png

Should and could have scored a lot more but a win is a win.

Player to watch

20n McConnell AF (Bal) - he has finally scored his first goal for the club. Only 17, but has great potential.

EeEACzE.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: Our wage expenditure has increased once again as teams tried to snap up some of my youngsters. Had to give them proper non-youth contracts... So the finances are almost 60k in the red.

Upside: Everything is rosy in the league.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

December 2020 Review

NIFL Championship

IQdrChz.png

Two games, two solid wins. One major problem - 18a Nixon GK (Bal) got injured against Loughgall and will miss around 5 weeks... a massive blow as we don't have good keepers and our first January game will be against Glentoran.

18SK5HG.png

Intermediate Cup

Rbj6901.png

Nothing to add here.

Irish Cup

ul8hzUw.png

Defensive forward 19n Gray DF (FSport) scored a hat-trick. Not smth I thought would happen.

Player to watch

19n Gray DF (FSport) - as funny as it sounds, he is our best goalscorer in the team in all (!) competitions with 7 goals in 6 cup games. Crazy!

tI7Qz3k.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: The injury to our best goalie can hit us hard in January...

Upside: We still have an advantage at the top and a top-3 place after January is a possibility.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

January 2021 Review

NIFL Championship

289goRQ.png

Glentoran gave us a beating but we bounced back with a win against mid-table Lurgan Celtic and continue to lead the pack going into the last 4 games before the league splits.

5Hr3jB9.png

Intermediate Cup

d3LJWP8.png

A game for the neutrals as our rotated squad decided to play without proper defending in a 6-4 roller-coaster against a non league side.

Irish Cup

3VDClLH.png

Out of the cup against a premiership side.

Player to watch

19k Coughlan AP (FAmb) - a much better player than 18h Smyth AP (FPro) now and has a 7.11 overall rating ion the league.

0f1Rk3R.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: None currently

Upside: Still top of the league...

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

February 2021 Review

NIFL Championship

KPA6xet.png

Our great run in the league continues as we still sit top of the pile. The game against Welders was a real game for the neutrals but 18a Nixon GK (FAmb) was the real hero as he scored 2 free kicks and added an assist from a third!

QRPmxbc.png

Intermediate Cup

tEh1gSJ.png

Into the semis we go after a solid performance agains institute. We have a great chance of getting into the final...!

Player to watch

18a Nixon GK (FAmb) - his solid performances are the reason why we are still promotion contenders.

jbFW0Gs.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: None currently.

Upside: We can win the Intermediate Cup, I can feel it...

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

Youth Intake 2021

Grkv1oj.png

Based on personalities - fantastic. Based on variety and CA - we have some good depth now. No 2nd nationalities though.

Goalkeepers:

21a Copeland GK (FAmb)

MYdipEu.png

Finally, a good 2nd choice goalkeeper. With potential.

Defenders:

21b Maguire DR-DL (Bal)

ewaFkzq.png

Can become a good player if he develops. Can play on both wings.

21c Nixon DC (FLoy)

j2ZX9ep.png

Speedy but poor technicals.

21d Clarke DL (Pro)

XKsCqdY.png

Has potential to become smth special at leftback.

21e Reid DC (Pro)

iE7kWXu.png

If his physicals go up, he'll have a chance in the first team.

21f Kyle DR (FPro)

2diS4U8.png

Too slow and lacks in key defensive attributes but has potential.

Midfielders:

21g Chambers AP (Res)

ZQzk6Ao.png

Another solid advanced playmaker, we have a whole bunch of them now.

21h Hamilton BWM (FSport)

2zCmCWi.png

Not enough potential in him I think...

21i Anderson BBM (Bal)

WzPUlbR.png

A master of none but can develop. We need a box-to-box player.

Wingers

21j Brennan AML (Bal)

YKCC0Cp.png

Has speed and nothing else.

21k Carson AMR (Unamb)

dvEJTRe.png

Won't make the cut i think...

21l Jeffrey AMR (Bal)

tuyvN90.png

Has something in him but we have too many wingers, so it will be hard form him to prove he's good enough.

21m Gilmore AMR-IF (FPro)

9qdKzyx.png

A solid inside forward, this time on the right side. I may play with insiders from now on to give us more firepower.

Strikers

21n Dickson AF (FSport)

Fw8Mt5L.png

A master of none... Nothing special with the exception of his finishing.

21o McCann P (LDet)

NpBs8En.png

Can become a good option off the bench.

21p Buchanan AF (FSport)

jMXm8nh.png

Lacks in some key attributes but has potential.

K8tNZwn.png

It was time to clear out some of the youth products to reduce the workload of the U18s coaches. It was a hard decision but these are the rejects.

4YVwi6m.png

Some of them played a bunch of games for us but it was time to let them go.

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

March 2021 Review

NIFL Championship

rBlWd3S.png

We survived at first place somehow. 5 games left now in the promotion group.

GBUCV8X.png

Intermediate Cup

C5IpXe0.png

Into the final we go.

Player to watch

18k Kelly TM (FAmb) - he isn't scoring a lot of goals but he is our best key passer in the game with 19 in 21 apps.

nEB2Haf.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: Our form is slipping and promotion is not a possibility with such results in recent games.

Upside: The Intermediate cup is in our hands. Almost.

• 2 weeks later...

HWj8ug0.png

Ards Rangers

April & May 2021 Review

NIFL Championship

Z8tCIq6.png

Just like last year, we've bottled it. The draws just killed the momentum as we slipped to 3rd. This was enough to get to the play-offs and a chance for promotion. 

p2T7mmR.png

Intermediate Cup

D0mEUDC.png

Lurgan Celtic was the better team on the pitch and deserved the win. I feel sorry for the lads, they played well throughout the campain but bottled it in the biggest game.

Player to watch

20b Crawford DC (FSport) - possibly our best defender in the team.

I8YYB30.png

Manager thoughts

Downside: The poor run of games can hinder our chances of promotion.

Upside: We did better than last season and I can't blame the lads. Most of them are still boys.

Archived