I can't develop holding midfielders

What the title says.

Goalkeepers: handy and dandy

Defenders: parkin' the bus

Wingers: running' free and fine

Playmakers: killer balls, all day every day

Strikers: picking their spot(s)

... ... ...

Holding midfielders: ALWAYS seem to be a couple of coach star ratings lower than they should be. Loans don't seem to help, first-team football does nothing. Once I sell 'em, they seem to do fine, but for me they just do nothing. Thing is, I kinda like having some chimp to run around doing the donkey work while the talent gets creative. :(  

Anyone else have certain positions they just can't bring talent through in?

Have you checked what you Head of Youth Development´s favourite formation is? If he prefers formations that don´t utilise holding midfielders (I assume you mean players in the DM strata here) you will be less likely to produce them through your academy. My HOYD tactical preferences mean I produce a lot of AMCs and STs, which is great for my first team formation of a 3-4-3. But I get very little in the way of fullbacks though the academy. Sometimes it is also just luck of the draw.

14 hours ago, turnip said:

What the title says.

Goalkeepers: handy and dandy

Defenders: parkin' the bus

Wingers: running' free and fine

Playmakers: killer balls, all day every day

Strikers: picking their spot(s)

... ... ...

Holding midfielders: ALWAYS seem to be a couple of coach star ratings lower than they should be. Loans don't seem to help, first-team football does nothing. Once I sell 'em, they seem to do fine, but for me they just do nothing. Thing is, I kinda like having some chimp to run around doing the donkey work while the talent gets creative. :(  

Anyone else have certain positions they just can't bring talent through in?

I'm not sure what the problem is? Coach stars are mostly irrelevant, just an 'at glance' guideline. If your defensive midfielders have the attributes for the role and they're doing what you want them to do on the pitch, then I'd say you've succeeded, regardless of a coach (or the games') opinion on the player's talent.

Yeah, it's not a Youth Development issue, just that for whatever reason, holding midfielders only ever seem to kick on to be excellent once they go to other clubs.

I've trained up some excellent players in pretty much every other role, but I can never quite get those tackle-y midfield players to be better than 'good'.

Archived