EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience) FM2005 [*Established Clan*]

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AsherDSSc:

I'd just like to point out i took 4 points off the 'Champions' with my championship team...

And before you moan, yes an update is in the pipeline you scummer Niall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scummer? Ah, yes, you're from Manchester - place is full of them.

Now you mention it, I have noticed the "talented manager Boult" updates have fallen away since you've struggled to live up to the demands of the Spurs job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STFC will rule again:

I still think you rigged the game, Niall icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as a newbie I think you should wait er, at least a month, before slagging off the host. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STFC will rule again:

I still think you rigged the game, Niall icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as a newbie I think you should wait er, at least a month, before slagging off the host. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been in the clan over a month where do I start icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

middlesborough.gif

UEFA CUP

Having got past the initial stages of the UEFA Cup, we faced Maccabi Haifa in the 1st knockround round and ended up winning both legs sending us through 3-0 on aggregate.

We then came up against the Scottish Champions Celtic in the 2nd knockout round, winning the 1st leg 2-0 then winning an exciting 2nd leg match 4-3 to send us to into the Quarter Finals of the UEFA Cup 5-3 on aggregate.

The quarter final then drew my Middlesbrough team up against Niall's Everton team with the 1st leg being turned on it's head when Everton had Burzanovic sent off for delibrately holding back Sebastien Kehl. James Beattie then found the net to make it 1-0 but Everton made some changes and started putting immense pressure on my team.

The defence finally gave out when Kim Kallstrom received the ball from a corner then thumped in a thunderous 25yarder to level the score 1-1. With my team shell-shocked, Kallstrom scored a 2nd goal making the final score 2-1 to Everton but we had the away goal so all was not lost.

The 2nd Leg was another exciting match with Everton having plenty of chances but my team was set-up to soak up the pressure and counter-attack. The match had early drama when Beattie won a dubious penalty after Bogelund

tackled him in the box.

Despite the boos from the Everton fans, Arteta stepped up and dispatched the penalty giving us a 1-0 lead and even though Everton tried every trick in the book, we held out for the 1-0 win to take us through on away goals.

We were then paired up in the semi-final with Sam's Aston Villa team and the 1st leg was a match where we somehow managed a 1-1 draw giving us a vital away goal. The 2nd leg was a much better game with plenty of action from both sides until Arteta found the net twice in 5 mins and even though Villa scored, Charisteas found the net in the 90 minute to kill off the tie and send Middlesbrough into the UEFA Cup Final.

Bayern Munich awaited us in the final and we started the match off well with Matusovic scoring a goal to make it 1-0 but then Bayern took total control, ending up scoring 3 goals to make the final score 3-1. The press described the team as being 'distinctly average' which I secretly agree with, icon_wink.gif.

It had been a brilliant run to the final but Bayern Munich were too strong for us in the end.

I'll just have to qualify for it next season instead icon_biggrin.gif .

PREMIERSHIP

My first premiership match in charge of Middlesbrough was against Danny's Portsmouth and my league managerial debut couldn't have started better against Pompey with my side putting 4 goals past the hapless Birmingham keeper.

After that wonderful win against Andy, there was a run of 4 league defeats against both Manchester teams, Bolton and Newcastle.

I then drew with Chris's West Brom team which stopped the bad run then a crunch game was next against Leicester which my team lost which put us into trouble leaving us only a few points of 18th.

We then drew with Blackburn and beat Southampton but ended up losing the final two league games against Portsmouth and Arsenal.

Ended up the season finishing 17th which was extremely disappointing but at least we stayed up. The Boro fans should look forward to next season because I intend to bring the good times to them icon_smile.gif.

TEAM ROUND-UP

James Beattie finished top goal scorer with 20 goals. Only Beattie and Matusovic hit double figures for the season so I'll be looking to spread the goals out through the team more as it'll help push the team up the table next year.

With 6 new players arriving in the summer and several high wage earners leaving the club, I'll be looking to push for a top half finish in the premiership next season.

My first premiership match in charge of Middlesbrough was against Danny's Portsmouth and my league managerial debut couldn't have started better against Pompey with my side putting 4 goals past the hapless Birmingham keeper.

After that wonderful win against Andy, there was a run of 4 league defeats against both Manchester teams, Bolton and Newcastle.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you mean Danny at Birmingham and Andy at Portsmouth. If Danny would do the decent thing and put his team name on in MIRC, newcomers might not get so confused. Danny, grr. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AsherDSSc:

Im quite ****ed

But i still think Spurs will win the EPL next year icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you have got to be dreaming son.

i was winning titles before you lost your virginity, what makes you think you can challenge the 'BIG' icon_wink.gif boys like the GOAT?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goat261:

Im quite ****ed

But i still think Spurs will win the EPL next year icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was winning titles before you lost your virginity, what makes you think you can challenge the 'BIG' icon_wink.gif boys like the GOAT? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohhhh er the words of a drunken goat posting jibberish after an all night bender at 1am. What's going on?

birmingham.gif

End of season report..

Well I'm pleased to finish the season in 3rd place in the premiership and hopefully St Andrews will see Champion league football next year if we can get passed the qualifying phase. The fans and board are looking forward to the bright new era with me as there manager and there dreaming this could be the start of something special, but a word of warning to the fans as they only have to look a Portsmouth and there manager Andy Nilsen who the season before last made the champions league and this season only finished a very disappointing 10th icon_wink.gif

Premiership place: 3rd

League Cup: 4th Rd

FA Cup: 4th Rd

highest fee spend: D'Alessandro 14 million

highest fee received: Mikael Forssell 27 million

Manager of the month: 1

Number of players brought: 9

Number of players sold: 7

Total value of players brought: 20 million

Total value of players sold: 38.5 million

Games played: 43

Games won: 26

Games lost: 12

Games drawn: 5

Goals scored: 78

Goals conceded: 40

Players stats..

Goals

1st. Berbatov 15

2nd= D'Alessandro 11

2nd= Anelka 11

4th. Petrov 4

5th. Eagles 3

Average Rating..

1st. Basturk 7.77

2nd. Gasbarroni 7.75

3rd. Gardner 7.54

4th. Petrov 7.52

5th. Esposito 7.50

Most App..

1st. Bardsely 40

1st. Davenport 40

3rd. Dawson 39

4th. Gardner 37

5th. Berbatov 36

Most Asts.

1st. Anelka 14

2nd. D'Alessandron 10

3rd. Berbatov 9

4th= Carter 5

4th= Gardner 5

Man of the match..

1st. Esposito 6

2nd= D'Alessandro 4

2nd= Anelka 4

2nd= Basturk 4

5th. Gasbarroni 2

Birmingham City Team

GK Marizi

RB Bardsley

LB Garnder

CB Dawson

CB Davenport

DMC Emerton

MC Basturk

MC Carter

AMC D'Alessandro

FC Berbatov

FC Anelka

SB1 Cudicini

SB2 Buxton

SB3 Esposito

SB4 Petrov

SB5 Gasborroni

Now we are going to take a look and see how my new buys have done on there first season at the club

Andrea Gasbarroni From Palermo For Free.

Used as a backup to the first team but when he did go on he often done well for me and will play a bigger role next year within the team because off Europe. Hit

Nicolas Anelka From Man City For Free

A great player for my team who scored a lot of goals as well as setting them up for his team mates with 14 asts and got on well with is team mates. Hit

Stilian Petrov From Celtic For Free

Another player who was more of a back up player for the first team but when he did come on he could change the game. He will play more next year with the extra game Brum will be playing. Hit

Yildoray Basturk From Hertha BSC For Free

Another class player who was at heart of everything good that we played. Has flair and can skip past players at will. Major Hit

Calum Davenport From Tottenham For 2.4 million

Paid for his transfer ten times over with his winning goal against Everton. Played 40 times and always played well for his team and the fans. Hit

Andres D'Alessandro From Wolfsburg For 14 million

What a great player maybe the player of the season with goals, dribbling and tackling in the midfield. True he cost 14 million pounds but worth every penny. Major Hit

Dimitar Berbatov From Leverkusen For Free

A class forward who could score some wonder goals for his team and is now worth over 30 million pounds. Hoping he will be leading the Brum attack for many years to come. Major Hit

Marizi Alberto From Bologna For 2.4 Million.

Young goalkeeper who I'm hoping will solve my problem in that area but he only came into the team late January and he gave some good display for the team apart from the boro match. Jury still out

Luca Cigarini From Parma For 1.3 Million.

Again only came into the team in late January but looks a class player who could take Emerton place in the DMC position over the next season or two. Jury still out

Also I have to mention that 3 of my players made the premiership X1 first team and no other manager had that many player's in the team. These players are:

*Dawson

*Bardsley

*Basturk

Plus the great man himself came second in the manager of the year awards icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Pagi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goat261:

Im quite ****ed

i was winning titles before you lost your virginity, what makes you think you can challenge the 'BIG' icon_wink.gif boys like the GOAT? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohhhh er the words of a drunken goat posting jibberish after an all night bender at 1am. What's going on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you mean Goat's a bit of a bender? icon_wink.gif

skylogo_default.gif

Murphy named Manager of The Year

Niall Murphy has been named English football's manager of the year for 2007/08 after leading his Everton side to the title. The young Irishman has been at Everton for four seasons and pundits feel he fully deserves this award for his achievement this season. Everton only lost 6 times in the Premiership and kept 22 clean sheets in 38 games, only conceding 20 goals over the course of the season, just two short of Arsenal's record set in 1991.

Picking up the award Murphy slurred,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hic, this is absolutely great, I always knew I was the numero uno. Hic!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other news Everton also had three players selected in the Premiership team of the season awards. Martin Petrov, Tomas Sivok and Andreas Isaksson. In fact Murphy could probably claim four players as Valdo of Chelsea was selected based on his performances for the Toffees between August and January.

everton.gif

Everton Squad Update

GK: Andreas Isaksson (26) Value: £7m

A superlative season from the Swedish international goalkeeper this season. With 22 clean sheets to his name, Isaksson was an instumental figure in our title success and has proved to be the best goalkeeper in the Premiership this season. Still aged only 26, is now being chased by Chelsea.

GK: Kasper Schmeichel (21) Value: £2.3m

Yet to live up to his reputation, Schmeichel got one start and it meant an embarrasing defeat in the FA Cup to Swindon. May find he is replaced by someone with more experience in the summer for backup.

RB: Kasper Bogelund (27) Value: £4.3m

Outstanding at full back this season not many wingers got the better of the Danish international.

RB: Zdenek Grygera (27) Value: £3.2m

Rarely figured with only 5 appearances for the Czech international, it is uncertain as to whether he will remain at the club.

LB: Nigel De Jong (23) Value: £5.5m

Played in 36 of Everton's Premiership games this season, the young Dutchman was outstanding and can play across the back four.

LB: Gael Clichy (22) Value: £3.7m

With 12 starting appearances and 9 as sub, Clichy has been superb when called upon and can also play left midfield when required. Still improving.

CB: Joseph Yobo (27) Value: £7.25m

Due to the African Nations, Yobo played in 31 games and cemented his reputation as "The Rock" in an outstanding campaign.

CB: Jean-Alain Boumsong (28) Value: £5.25m

An ever present in the side this season, as Pink Floyd would say, Another Brick in the Wall. icon_biggrin.gif

CB: Alex (25) Value: £2.8m

An excellent defender but only managed four games due to the excellence of the normal pairing.

DMC: Fernando Sorriano (28) Value: £2.4m

Four starts, eight as sub. Sorriano was solid when called upon and made my day by scoring the winner from the spot against Birmingham. icon14.gif

DMC: Tomos Sivok (24) Value: £5.5m

One of my first signings as Everton manager the young Czech midfielder is rapidly turning into one ofthe best defensive midfielders around. 37 league appearances and 3 goals from him earned a place in the team of the year.

DMC: Christian Daniel Ledesma (25) Value: £4.3m

Argentian defensive midfielder who edged his way into the team in the second half of the season, is an essential player when Everton play a more defensive game in a 4-5-1.

DMC: Mattieu Flamini (24) captain Value: £4.7m

Another inspirational season from the captain of the team he racked up 24 games with 6 as sub and contributed 3 goals and 3 assists.

AMC: Kim Kallstrom (25) Value: £10.5m

Kallstrom remains Everton's record signing at £8m pounds and the Swedish international delivered in style this season with his ferocious long range shooting. A player I rotate with Flamini depending on the opposition, Kallstrom scored 11 goals in all competitions this season from midfield and five assists.

AMR: Igor Burzanovic (22) Value £7m

Already valued at £7m pounds, Burzanovic had an outstanding first season in English football providing nine assists and easing the blow of having to sell Valdo to Chelsea.

AML: Martin Petrov (29) Value £11.75m

Everton's most consistent player this season, Petrov made the left flank his own this season with the Bulgarian international featuring 32 times in all comps and delivering 7 goals, 11 assists and earning 9 MOM awards.

AML: Tobias Hysen (26) Value: £6.75m

One of my best performers over the past three seasons, Hysen failed to live up to his previous excellent performances and failed to register a goal this season. A very effective substitute, Hysen did still manage 10 assists with his excellent crosses into the box.

AML: Marko Babic (27) Value: £5m

Disappointed in Babic's performances when seldom called upon but retraining as a right winger to provide competition for Burzanovic.

CF: Akin Serhat (26) Value: £18.5m

Serhat was outstanding this season, finishing 3rd in the top scorer chart behind Henry and Pazzini with 17 Premiership goals. Has though been on an extended drought for some time so perhaps new firepower is required upfront for the Champions League.

CF: Robert Vittek (26) Value: £11.25m

If Serhat is the deadly finisher of the squad, Vittek is the main threat to defences with his dribbing skills and ability to spot a pass. The Slovakian international delivered 14 goals and 10 assists in all comps and settled into English football with ease. Made himself a hero with the winner over Nilsen's Portsmouth in only his second game. icon_biggrin.gif

CF: Emmanuel Calaio (26) Value: £8m

The powerful Italian striker was another early Murphy signing and is a good back up to the main strikers as his 13 goals this season illustrated.

CF: Alexander Frei (28) Value: £3.9m

The transfer listed Swiss striker came up with some vital goals this season and was particularly lethal in the UEFA cup wher he scored 7 of his 9 goals this season.

Murphy's Everton record

Time at club:

1403 days

Honours:

2007-08 Premier Division Champions

2006-07 Carling Cup Winners

Awards

Two x Manager of the Month

One x Manager of the Year

Games Played

Games Won

Games Drawn

Games Lost

Highest fee paid

£8m - Kim Kallstrom - July 2006

Highest fee received

£30m - Valdo - January 2008

Money spent

£71m

Money received

£91m

everton.gif

Everton parade new signings

Everton manager Niall Murphy had a huge grin on his face as a photo call was arranged to announce Everton's new signings to the rest of the Barclaycard Premiership. Murphy, busy plotting a successful defence of his title and an assault on the Champions League, has spectacularly broken Everton's transfer record twice in the last two months. The first addition to the squad was the capture of Arsenal's exciting creative midfielder Cesc Fabregas (20) for £9.25m pounds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fabregas is an outstanding player for his age with awesome natural ability. He will have a tough fight on his hands to establish himself as a regular in the Everton first team as the competition for places in midfield is very strong. However, I am confident that with Cesc, Kallstrom and Flamini all available to me, we have the required depth to cope with the extra demands of the European Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few weeks later and Murphy was celebrating again as he finally spent the transfer money he received from Chelsea for Valdo, capturing Italian international striker Alberto Gilardinho (26) from Manchester United for £22m pounds. The Italian striker had been designated a squad player at Manchester United by Rafael Benitez as the former champions have a strike force the envy of the work including Rooney, E'too and Tuncay amongst their ranks. With no guarantee of first team football next season, Gilardinho was more than happy to swap Manchester Red for Merseyside Blue and join Murphy's defending Champions. The Italian stated:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Penso che Murphy sia un genius direttivo e sto aspettando con impazienza di funzionare con così responsabile di talento e la vincita dei molti trophies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

Season 5 – 2008/9

Birmingham City - Manager: Danny King II

With the addition of Ammendolea, goals shouldn't be a problem this season for last years 3rd place team. Quality runs throughtout the whole team and with a talented manager they might just nick it from last years winners

League - 1st

FA Cup - Semi Final

League Cup - Final

Champions League - Semi Finals

Tottenham Hotspurs - Manager: Rick Boult II

My team, the mighty Spurs...goals were a problem last season but with the signings of Defoe and Gambino hopefully this is sorted. Last season was a dissapointing 1 for us with me only joining in March but this year i fully expect us to get back into Europe

League - 6th

FA Cup - 4th Round

League Cup - Semi Final

Everton - Manager: Niall Murphy

Not much can be said about the blue side of Mersyside. Congratulations for winning the league were in order but it was far from convincing. Gillardino is Nialls main buy with some Arsenal reject providing midfield cover. All in all, it should be another successful season for the irishman

League - 2nd

FA Cup - Semi Final

League Cup - 1/4 Final

Champions League - 1/4 Final

Fulham - Manager: Mo Ilyas

Fulham seem to be improving every season under Mo. Last year there striker took 7 months to break the magic 5 barrior in all competitions but a quick change in tactics saw them shoot up the season. A fairly boring game can be expected while Fulham are in town so another solid mid season place this season with Europe also in the managers mind.

League - 10th

FA Cup - 5th Round

League Cup - 4th Round

Southampton - Manager: David Williams

Southampton were a top 12 team at best last year thanks to there dodgy manager Rob Steel. With him gone, another unknown quantity has walked into the hotseat and with a Zurawski up front goals will be a plenty. A steady start for the 'young' lad is predicted

League - 11th

FA Cup - 4th Round

League Cup - 1/4 Final

Bolton Wanderers - Manager: David Pagi IV

Not much can be said about Pagi without laughing at him. Failed to bring Sunderland up to the premiership after taking the into administration saw him lose any repect from fellow manager. Since then, he has jumped off that boat and landed back at his old hunting ground where he should do ok, providing he pulls his finger out.

League - 14th

FA Cup - 5th Round

League Cup - 4th Round

Aston Villa - Manager: Sam Bouchard

Having built a decent squad at Spurs, Sam failed to get the team to gel and as a result was fired. Upon joining Villa, he was quick to assess the squad and brought in the relevant changes. Ammendolea will be a big miss as he leaves a massive hole up front but Sam's no stranger to finding talents but the question is will he show the commitment needed to be an EPL manager

League - 4th

FA Cup - 4th Round

League Cup - Quater Final

Champions League - Quarter Final

West Bromwich Albion - Manager: Chris Morris

Chris has been known to be a good manager in EPL even though the final league positions suggest otherwise. If hes able to attend every match WBA will be a better team for it. Another good summer in the transfer market see's The Baggies stronger than most up front. However, the loss of Lobont, the star of previous seasons may hinder there chances of Europe this season

League - 8th

FA Cup - 4rd Round

League Cup - Final

Portsmouth - Manager: Andy Nilsen

A woeful season for the big headed manager last year brought a smile to everyones face including mine. Known to build himself up as a 'big man' i have photographic evidence this fact isn't actually true. Selling players for 20million is ok if you can replace them so its yet to be seen if this seasons 'stars' are able to gel at Fratton Park this season

League - 4th

FA Cup - 1/4 Final

League Cup - Semi Final

Middlesbrough - Manager: Ben Jackson

Another unknown quantity enters the race for the English Premier League but i feel it may be a season or 2 before he can really challenge the already established manager in the league. Impressed at the back end of last season in Europe but he'll be the first to admit his league form was pittiful which i think he'll be able to sort out this time round.

League - 12th

FA Cup - 4th Round

League Cup - 4th Round

Season 5 – 2008/9

Everton - Manager: Niall Murphy

Not much can be said about the blue side of Mersyside. Congratulations for winning the league were in order but it was far from convincing. Gillardino is Nialls main buy with some Arsenal reject providing midfield cover. All in all, it should be another successful season for the irishman

edit: Sneaked it my arse. 11 ahead of nearest human and defeatingthe mighty Man Utd. We'll be there or thereabouts again. icon_wink.gif

Bolton Wanderers - Manager: David Pagi IV

Not much can be said about Pagi without laughing at him. Failed to bring Sunderland up to the premiership after taking the into administration saw him lose any repect from fellow manager. Since then, he has jumped off that boat and landed back at his old hunting ground where he should do ok, providing he pulls his finger out.

edit: Pagi has had some bad luck over the past few seasons with Sunderland going into administration costing him the automatic promotion his team deserved on merit. He's back at Bolton now and with a few tactical tweaks to get a few points on the board will soon climb the table. Keep the faith Pagi, you an EPL vet and always will be big lad. icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

And Rick, it may be a different language (thanks google!!) but it's still rubbish. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, you got there before anyone else could say it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OLFOLFOLF:

And Rick, it may be a different language (thanks google!!) but it's still rubbish. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, you got there before anyone else could

say it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it's rubbish, anyone who takes this stuff seriously, like you perhaps, needs to get some perspective. icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't let that stop you continuing to read it though.

everton.gif

Community Shield to Everton as the new campaign gets underway

FA Community Shield - Wembley, 3rd August 2008

Everton 1 - 0 Fulham

English football's annual curtain raiser for the new season saw Murphy's Premier League Champions take on Mo Ilyas' FA Cup winning Fulham side (watched by a crowd of 63,000) in a game that didn't have English football expecting a free flowing attacking game of football. icon_biggrin.gif

Everton boasted the best defence in the Premiership last season and Fulham are renowned for being very difficult to break down as Mo Ilyas has added a defensive steel to the west London outfit that many sides struggle to find a way through.

In glorious sunshine Everton fielded both their new signings in a 4-5-1 formation, with Nigel De Jong and Igor Burzanovic absent for the opening weeks of the campaign due to the Olympics. Everton lined up at the beginning of 2008 as follows:

GK: Isaksson

RB: Bogelund

LB: Clichy

CB: Yobo

CB: Boumsong

CM: Sivok

CM: Fabregas

CM: Kallstrom

LM: Petrov

RM: Gonzalez

CF: Gilardinho

Pre-game news was all about Mo Ilyas' decision to sell his leading goalkeeper Roy Carroll to Arsenal for £8m without having a recognisable replacement in place for the game. Everton were hoping to take advantage of Fulham's goalkeeping problems. In a largely dull one sided affair, the breakthrough arrived on 63 minutes, debutant Cesc Fabregas scoring from just outside the area.

Afterwards, Murphy shrugged off being called a "git" by Ilyas stating that he was delighted to have got one over his old enemy at Wembley. icon_wink.gif

FA Barclaycard Premiership - 2008/09

Coventry City 1 - 1 Everton

If all Everton's games this season are as difficult as this one turned out to be then the defence of the championship is going to be a tough job. Coventry, managed by Glen Hoddle, have a reasonable squad but they played above themselves here at Highfield Road to earn a point.

In a brilliant opening half hour Coventry overran Everton and eventually scored through ex-Everton youngster Kelly around the 25 minute mark. After a few switches Everton came back into the game and equalised in the second half through a thunderous effort by Kim Kallstrom. Despite attacking Coventry for the rest of the match, the Toffees failed to put away any further chances so, just like last season, Murphy starts the campaign with an away draw.

Everton 3 - 1 Leicester City

Despite the scoreline, this was another close fought game as Leicester put up a very good performance. Everton took the lead around 52 minutes when Petrov's shot took a cruel deflection and went into the net. However, ten minutes later, Leicester enjoyed the same stroke of luck to level the game. It took Everton until the last 15 minutes to reassert their class when Serhat registered his first of the season. In the final few minutes Gilardinho notched his first goal for Everton since his big money move to seal the points.

Chelsea 1 - 1 Everton

Fortunate not to suffer our first defeat of the season at Stamford Bridge as Gilardino scored a 93rd minute equaliser with the last kick of the game to salvage a point, despite Everton playing the final ten minutes with ten men after Isaksson went off injured. A good point with the bad news being the 2 week injury sustained by the Swedish keeper ruling him out of the pending visit of Manchester United to Goodison. Hopefully he'll be back just in time to face Sam Bouchard's Aston Villa. icon_smile.gif

tottenham.gif

Out With The Old, In With The Boult

Since the highly talked about switch from Blackburn Rovers to Tottenham Hotspur, Rick Boult has been suprisingly quiet for a man known as one of the outspoken manager in the league. Bringing Blackburn from The Championship to 6th in the Premiership didn't go unnoticed by the South London club and once Sam Bouchard was given the boot, the yorkshireman was seen as the perfect man to bring back the glory days at White Hart Lane.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 'I was approached by Mr Levy soon after Sam's departure and i was told straight away if i took the job there would be no pressure for the rest of the season. I had taken Blackburn from a poor Premiership side to 1 asking Champions League questions. This i felt was as far as the club were going to go under the strict supervision of the current board so i fel the time was right to move on. Fans of the club have understood my reasons for moving, and i was touched by the amount of 'Good Luck' cards i recieved. I'd like to personally wish them the best of luck in the future.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

New Manager, New Fortune

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 'After looking at the squad i decided we were pretty strong in all area's but just lacked the cutting edge up front. Money was tight due to the early knock outs of Europe and the domestic cups so i had to sell some players in order to raise cash. As it turns out, a 31.5million bid for Ronaldo came in and although he was the player of the season last year, that sort of money can build a new team.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So with 36.5mil in the bank to spend altogether on players Boult dived into the transfer market where some world class players were brought in.

Players In

Jermain Defoe - Manchester United - 12.5mil - SC

Boy wonder came home....a cut price due to the talents at Uniteds disposal, Jermain guarentee's goals so the rest of the Premiership beware

Salvatore Gambino - Dortmund - 4.8mil - AM RLC

A quality midfielder can play on either wing or down the middle. Amazing dribbling ability with a cool head in front of goal. Drove Dortmund to beat Spurs in Europe last season

Mitch Van Bovene - Feyenoord - 2.8mil - SC

Dutch forward with outstanding pace and awareness. Will providing back up to Defoe and being only 22 he's 1 to watch for the future

Nicola Pozzi - Ac Milan - Free - SC

Bought under the bosman ruling, Pozzi has good all round stats and again age is on his side. Will hope training brings him on into the first team picture later in the season

Daryl Smylie - Newcastle - 12.5mil + Carrick - MC

22 with the stats of a world beating central midfielder. 20's throught making the midfield at White Hart Lane the strongest in the league

Aureliano Torres - Portsmouth - 500k - DML

Cut price for the 26yr old...with Edman and Ziegler released on free's i'll be looking to play Torres at left back with the option to play in midfield if needs be

Andrea Armarni - Ac Milan - 1mil - MR

A girls first name, and a designers 2nd, Andrea isn't yet the finished article but with Depor and Barca on his tail, he may yet break into the first team

First Team

GK - Paul Robinson

DR - Vincent Kompany

DL - Aureliano Torres

DC - Ledley King

DC - Anthony Gardner

DMC - Freddy Guarin

MRC - Daryl Smylie

MC - Salvatore Gambino

MLC - Thomas Hitzlsperger

FC - Jermain Defoe

FC - James Mcfadden

Sub 1 - Stewart Downing

Sub 2 - Luke Moore

Sub 3 - Nicola Pozzi

Sub 4 - Nico Kranjcar

Sub 5 - Mark Wilson

Results

English Premier League

Portsmouth - Home - 2-0 - Scorers - McFadden x 2

Not the easiest start to a season but passed with flying colours. James with 2 smart finishes in the first half finished the game, The scoreline could have been more as Pompey make a shaky start to the season. Fully deserved WIN

English Premier League

Fulham - Away - 4-1 - Scorers - Smylie x 2, Downing x 2

Another tricky tie passed with a great team display. Fulham were without a 1st choice keeper so players were told to shoot at will. Smylie with 2 possible goals of the season and Downing grabbed to more after coming off the bench. Fully deserved WIN

English Premier League

Coventry - Home - 5-2 - Scorers - Defoe x 3, Moore, Hitzlsperger

With the Sky Blues just being promoted, Boult looked to boost his teams goal difference by naming a full strength team. Defoe didnt let him down with 3 well taken goals. The score was 2-2 after 70 minutes however but a quick change in tactic saw us dominate for the last 20. Fully deserved WIN

fulham.gif

Season 4-The return of the kings

As season 4 commenced, a number of managers had acquired roman numerals after their names and thus had royalty bestowed upon them.

Mo returned from his marauding journey around Christmas and saw that his beloved Fulham side were job holding a 16th league position within the EPL. The fans and Fayed were just about satisfied with assistant manager’s performance, and rumours were strife that Mo would be the next member of the EPL to join royalty.

Under pressure manager Mo looked at the EPL table and nearly fell off his seat when he noticed that Everton were top of the league. This could be down to the following reasons:

a) Everton have a good manager – Niall has more 20’s in his profile than Arsenals Henry on a bad day and has made good buys in the transfer market.

b) He had got hit men to get rid of his rivals. – Last reports were that the former Man Utd manager Ligs was spotted with Niall’s minders, a bucket of cement and some rope near the Irish docks. The former spurs Supremo had woken up with a dead horses head (…No, it was not Pagi’s girlfriend) and duly resigned from Spurs the following day to take the helm at Villa! Everton minders have been threatening other managers indirectly by sending then unnecessary administrative paperwork to do. E.g. Sam at Villa, so he can’t turn up to manage his team.

Anyway, Mo took charge of Fulham by signing a few bosmans for the following season and the only transfer of a player in season 4 to Fulhams squad, Angel from Villa, just costing under a million.

Key game highlights

Fulham 0 – Bolton 1

Pagi gets his revenge, While king Pagi III now managing Sunderland now had been knighted more times than most EPL. Pagi’s former club took 3 points at home to Bolton, with a deserved win.

Fulham 0 - Everton 0

Yep, you read it right, Fulham held Everton! Fulham took the game to Everton what did the EPL leaders do? Sit behind the ball against a Fulham side which was fighting relegation. As Everton sat deep in their own had and tried to counterattack Fulham, Fulham created more chances than their opposition. If Fulham had a decent finisher it could have been a different story. Everton did have a few chances, most notably at the end of the match. A drew was probably a fair result.

Birmingham 3 – Fulham 0

The trouble with having a good run is that you really start to believe that you are possibly as good as the opposition. Unfortunately this loss brought Fulham down to Earth. Birmingham have a very impressive squad with a world class manager at their helm. After going 3-0 down, I wish Scotty had beamed me up before this game.

WBA 0 – Fulham 2

The only way I was going to beat a very impressive WBA side was thru godly intervention, WBA who had been underperforming because their manager Chris had lost his memory for a few months and could not be found anywhere. Chris was found during mid season and resoundingly returned to win games that were deemed as mission impossible. Fortunately a bout of amnesia struck Chris when WBA were visited by Fulham and Chris was absent from this match and Mo’s prayers had been answered!

FA Cup highlights:

With a fifth round tie against the gunners at their new stadium, Fulham were very fortunate to scrape to escape with a 1-0 win and a slice of chicken pizza.

A semi-final against Liverpool gave us another escape to victory with a 2-0 win at Cardiff.

Fulham were to meet Villa in the cup final, with Mo shaking in his boots at the mention of great Sam’s Villa. Sam is a respected EPL manager and had players that had more 20’s in their stats than big head Niall. Mo asked around the other managers for advice on how to beat Villa…..pray, pay the ref.….see Niall’s minders!

The FA cup final began with Fulham changing to a more offensive 5-3-2 formation. The change of formation was there to accommodate the former Villa striker Angel in the Fulham squad. As the game began, the atmosphere was electric. Each time Angel got a touch of the ball, the Villa fans were booing their former legendary player. Angel answered his critics early on by scoring a wonderful goal after 7 minutes. Shortly after that moment in time, Niall was caught on camera winking at the Fulham manager and then Niall’s minders appeared in the Villa dugout! That was the last time Sam was seen at the FA cup final. The game ended 2-0 to Fulham. Fulham lifted the FA cup, to ease the pressure on the Fulham manager.

Fulham finished 13th in season 4 of the EPL (Fulham finished 15th in season 2, 14th in season 3). Mo produced a statistical graph to show that Fulham had improved in the EPL every year under his guidance, and that owner, Fayed will be looking at EPL champions by season 16! Fayed did not seem very impresses, but decided to stick with Mo for another season.

Season 4 Targets:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Hamper Niall’s progress any which way I can! Currently Mo is having trouble matching Everton in the EPL, so has resorted to name calling icon_biggrin.gif the Everton manager......seems to annoy him icon_smile.gif <STRIKE>Niall....Answer this riddle. 6 letters. First four letters, You **** a coin in the air to see it land head or tail. Last 2 letters, American hospital drama</STRIKE>

<LI> Have a good run in the cups.

<LI> Sell most of the previous season’s regulars and manage his new set of bosmans! (learnt from Lippi’s school of rotating his players every 12 months )

<LI> Get Fulham to finish above 13th in the EPL.

<LI> Put Fulham in a better financial state than they currently are.

astonvilla.gif

Summer Breeze

As Sam Bouchard pulled up in his Mercedes in the Aston Villa car park, Doug Ellis pulled up in his custom created skoda in which he's had a soft top fitted, and spoke to the journalists awaiting news of what's to do with Villa this summer.

Bouchard started to speak as Ellis' vehicle transformed into a convertable behind;

Journalist: So, Mr Bouchard, what is going on this year at Aston Villa? Who's coming in and who do you have plans for leaving?

Sam Bouchard: Well, I've decided to bring in a few players that will really kick start this club's European campaign and give it a real boost for the league too.

Journalist: Do you mean that Mr Ellis has actually loosened the purse strings at the club or are you buying with your own money?

*Journalists laugh*

Sam Bouchard: Well...

Doug Ellis: Well yes! Hello there! I have indeed offered Mr Bouchard money to buy what he's requested. Also i'm going to give him an extra 25m just incase he wants to buy somebody else too, that'll really perk up the fans!

Journalist: Blimey.....are you sure that's you Mr Ellis?

*All the journalists turn their heads around to view Ellis' vehicle parked behind Bouchard's*

Journalist: Must be must be....

As the conversation poured on Ellis had this to say about his 'motor'...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">She's a beauty isn't she! Found her on a scrapheap you know, people throw the most useful of things away, and it only cost me £200 to take it off their hands! I was ready to spend at least £2k on a new car, so after buying the 'Skod-yeah' i thought i'd get my mate Ernie to 'pimp it out'. I've got electric windows, a cigarette lighter, and get this, i've only gone and gotten myself an AM radio for the front seats! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ellis seemed chuffed with his purchase as he strolled into Villa Park with a large smile on his face. Bouchard informed the group of journalists of the ins and outs going on at Villa.

Transfers In

Daniel Bierofka - £2.4m - Chelsea

Adam Hunt - 230k - West Ham

Jose Maria Moukla - Free - Zaragoza

James Frayne - 675k - Liverpool

Sam Parkin - 375k - Swindon

Dwight Pezzarossi - £1.7m - West Brom

Calum Davenport - PXC - Birmingham

Transfers Out

Ammendolena - £26m + PXC - Birmingham

Could it be that Ellis' happiness is that Aston Villa for the first time in years are making a healthy profit, and are way way WAY above expectation money wise. Ellis has once again set his sights on European glory, and with Bouchard at the helm could it all go fantastically well?

Saturday 28th June 2008 - Inter Toto

Aston Villa [3]: Jackson, Suarzo, Ammendolea

Lech [0]:

Saturday 5th July 2008 - Inter Toto

Lech [1]: Michalski

Aston Villa [1]: Frayne

Saturday 12th July 2008 - Inter Toto

Aston Villa [8]: Whittingham, Nolan(2), Vorisek, Suazo(3), Frayne

Motherwell [0]:

Saturday 19th July 2008 - Inter Toto

Motherwell [0]:

Aston Villa [0]:

Wednesday 23rd July 2008 - Inter Toto

Panionios [0]:

Aston Villa [0]:

Wednesday 30th July 2008 - Inter Toto

Aston Villa [2]: Nolan, Shane Paul

Panionios [0]:

Wednesday 6th August 2008 - Inter Toto

Aston Villa [4]: Suazo(2), Frayne(2)

Maritimo [0]:

Saturday 9th August 2008 - Premier League Match 1

Leicester City [0]:

Aston Villa [2]: Suazo, Morgan

Wednesday 13th August 2008 - Premier League Match 2

Aston Villa [2]: Nolan, Pezarossi

Chelsea [0]:

Saturday 16th August 2008 - Premier League Match 3

Aston Villa [0]:

Man Utd [0]:

Wednesday 20th August 2008 - Inter Toto

Maritimo [0]:

Aston Villa [2]: Suazo, Morgan

A fairly decent start to the season, with Sorensen keeping 10 clean sheets from 11 games and the team as a whole avoiding defeat since the FA Con Final...i mean cup, to Mo's Fulham.

The quest goes on for trophy's in Sam Bouchard's trophy cabinet, and the next test doesnt' get any bigger with Premier League games against Danny King's Birmingham, Rick Boult's Tottenham and Niall Murphy's Premiership Champions Everton over the coming weeks.

Let's not dwell on the shower of s**te that Villa are facing soon, Villa = EPL Trebble Winners 2008/2009...fcuk rick's predictions right up the khyber....come on the Villa!

middlesborough.gif

NEW SIGNINGS

Laurent Robert - Free - Sunderland

Brought in as cover for David Bentley, not likely to figure much whilst he's with the club.

Anders Svensson - Free - Southampton

Brought in to fill the Attacking Midfielder role and will add a great deal to the team.

Zatyiah Knight - 1.7m - Portsmouth

Has come in to strengthen the defensive options at the club, one for the future.

Mike Hanke - 7.5m - Man Utd

The biggest signing since i've been at the club, looks to have a big future if he strikes up a good partnership

with his strike partner, James Beattie.

Georginio Boateng - 7m - Spurs

At only 18, Boateng is one for the future but will definitely feature in plenty of games this year and could end up being the star player of the team in years to come.

Thomas Vermaelen - Free - Ajax

Another quality defender brought in, surprised Ajax didn't try to keep him but their loss is our gain.

Roberto - Free - Sporting Lisbon

With only Joe Lewis as the main goalkeeper last season, Roberto has been brought in and will be the 1st choice keeper and he'll copefully help Lewis reach his potential.

Brynjar Hermannson - 500k - FH

Being Only 19, Brynjar looks to have a big future in the game and will help add depth to the squad.

Brian Hundeboll - 2m - Esbjerg fB

A steal at only 2m, he will surprise many people with how good he already is and if he keeps developing the way he is at the moment then he'll be a big player at Middlesbrough.

SQUAD

GK - Roberto (Joe Lewis)

DR - Sun Jihai (Adam Clough)

DL - Mikael Dorsin (Matthew Bates)

DC - Igor Tudor (Zatyiah Knight)

DC - Martin Laursen (Thomas Vermaelen)

DMC - Sebastien Kehl (George Boateng)

AMRC - James Morrison (Marco Ferreira)

AMLC - David Bentley (Laurent Robert)

AMC - Anders Svensson (Brynjar Hermannson)

FC - James Beattie (Brian Hundeboll)

FC - Mike Hanke (Miroslav Matusovic)

RESULTS

9th August 2008

Wolves 1

Ormerod 40

Middlesbrough 3

Matusovic 66, 78 Beattie 81

An easy start to the season against one of the newly promoted teams. Although Ormerod gave them the lead in the

1st half, we turned it around in the 2nd half with Matusovic scoring 2 well taken goals and Beattie finishing

the job as he smacked a shot past the hapless Wolves keeper.

13th August 2008

Middlesbrough 0

Newcastle 1

Sonck 12

Was quite confident after the Wolves game but my team failed to perform as Newcastle dominated the match from

start to finish with Sonck scoring the decisive goal in the 12th minute. Will have to try and sort out my

team's inconsistent form as quickly as possible.

16th August 2008

Southampton

Frei 67

Middlesbrough 2

Beattie 50, Hundeboll 86

A closely fought match but we ran out winners in the end. Beattie opened the scoring with a powerful shot that

flew past the Southampton keeper. Frei equalised as he left Roberto helpless to stop his well-struck shot but

Hundeboll, making his first ever appearence for us from the bench, broke free of the Southampton defence and

put the ball past the Southampton keeper with a neat finish to seal the victory. A much improved performance from us which was very pleasing.

20th August 2008

Middlesbrough 1

Matusovic 12

Bolton 0

I was very confident about this game against Pagi's Bolton team who hadn't managed a point or any goals in

their first 3 matches. The match turned out to be a much closer game with Matusovic's cool finish in the

12th minute being the decisive moment of the match. 3 wins out of 4 so far, can't argue with that considering

how poor our league form was last season.

gfa_enforcer_logo.jpg

"The Boys" sent out for Ilyas

The EPL Challenge Justice Committee (logo above) met in secret today to discuss the fate of Fulham boss Mohammed Ilyas - charged with bringing the game into disrepute through unfounded insinuations against the good character of the Everton boss Niall Murphy.

The one man committee, widely suspected to consist of Murphy himself, released the following statement to the press.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mo Ilyas - The "boys" will be calling to your house soon - and let me tell you - it won't be for a friendly cup of tea and a nan bread sandwich. The River Lagan awaits my friend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> angryfire.gificon_wink.gif

birmingham.gif

Season five is about to begin with Birmingham City looking to improve on last season and maybe go one better and win a cup. I'm not to sure what Rick Boult was smoking the other night when he wrote his pre season predictions but he must have been on something. Perhaps he's trying to do a Ferguson on Birmingham City and add pressure upon my team before a ball has even been kicked but after these comments I feel I have to reply.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ninety per cent of us can't win the Premiership. What we've got to try and do is get into that next band of clubs beneath that group (top four), the likes of the Tottenhams and the Villa, - and hope you get to the top of that band of clubs. Of course, you haven't got to give up on it (winning the title). Of course, you've got to hope that we can do a Everton and challenge strongly, but I think we've got to try and realise it is going to be difficult for any side to break into the top three or four on a regular basis maybe last season 3rd place was a bit lucky but I'm not going to get carried away like Rick Boult. We've got to go away from being that mid table team and push on. The aim is try and progress and keep on going forward, but we've always got to be realistic about it going to be very difficult for a club like ours to break into that Elite area of clubs such as Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea or Man Utd. Maybe it could be our year if we get 1/4 of the luck Everton had last season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course pre season brings a lot of wheeling dealing in the transfer market and Birmingham City didn't let down the fans with some great deals.

Transfers Out...

Robbie Savage To Charlton on a Free

Been a great player for me over the last few season’s but his legs are starting to give way and he was on 25k per week so we offered him out to some clubs and Charlton took up the option.

Chris Riggot To Southamptom on a Free

Again another good player for me over the years but can no longer get into the team.

Maik Taylor To Crystal Palace on a Free

Reaching the end of his career and needs first team football that I could no longer offer him so I left him leave to Palace on a free.

Carlo Cudicini To Q.P.R on a Free

A goal keeper who often done well on his day but could go into a game and make mistake after mistake for no reason at all on another day. In the end happy to get him of the wage bill.

Matteo Brighi To Lazio for 3 million

Brighi had done well for me since he's free transfer but with Emerton in great form we could no longer offer first team football and with the kind of wages he was on we couldn't afford to have him sitting around the place.

Malcolm Christie To Brighton on a Free

Done well for us when he first came on a free from Boro but since then the team has moved on and we have better players around the same area he plays, so again off loaded due to wages.

Jamie Clapham To West Ham on a Free

Good left back who was coming to the end of his playing days and I had cover in the position with Gardner and Pander both fighting for that one spot.

Andres D'Alessandro To Chelsea For 30 Million

I didn't want to lose this player but Chelsea took advantage of a release clause in his contract and I had to accept there bid. This is a sad day for the supporters of Brum and there manager.

Calum Davenport To Aston Villa For P/EX

Davenport had done well for me and again didn't what him to go but he was needed to be offered in part/ex for a bigger deal with Sams Villa

Other Players just released when there contract run out

*Jason Euell

*Darren Wood

*Gary Powell

*Stuart Walton

*Stuart Mattews

*Peter Till

*Sam Oji

Players In...

Dean Ashton From Crewe on a Free

A backup forward for my team who I'm not to sure why I signed him perhaps it was a night after I had a few beers.

Christian Pander From Schalke For 2 million

Looks like a class left back who will go straight into the team as Gardner has been having a few problems with the red cards over the last couple of seasons.

Edu From Arsenal on a Free

We all know what Edu can do in the premeirship and I hoping the move to Birmingham City will kick start his career again and add some more class to our midfield.

Tom Huddlestone From Derby For 5 million

A class defender and midfield players who will partner Dawson in the heart of the defence now Davenport has gone to Aston Villa.

Alejandro Sanchez Fernandez From Valladolid on a Free

Looks one for the future and had to fight it out with new spus boss Rick Boult but in the end he wanted to work with a proven class manager and there was only one choice.

Bogdan Lobont From W.B.A For 2.6 million

Was looking for a backup keeper then I noticed that Lobont (maybe the best keeper in the premiership) contract was unprotected so an offer was put to the player and I'm happy to say he joined our club. Could be my best signing of the season after all the trouble I been having with my other keepers.

Alessio Ammendolea From Aston Villa For 26 Million - P/Ex

What a player, this guy in the right team can score goals for fun and it told days of contact with the Villa manager to come to a deal. When the news broke a lot of manager's in EPL quoted the newspapers with "what a waste of money" or "thats the new kezman" but I know I made the right choice. Just watch him bang in the goals icon_smile.gif

Birmingham City Team X1

GK Lobent

RB Bardsley

LB Pander

CB Dawson

CB Huddlestone

DMC Emerton

MC Basturk

MC Carter

AMC Esposito

FC Berbatov

FC Ammendolea

SB1 Marizi

SB2 Buxton

SB3 Edu

SB4 Petrov

SB5 Anelka

More to follow soon icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TopToffee:

Niall - thougt you might be interested to know, Everton have been linked with Zurawski in real life today.

someone's obviously been reading this thread icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers mate, yeah - move over Davy Moyes. icon_wink.gif

portsmouth_180.gif

Fortress Fratton = The Tragic Kingdom

That was the headline on the back pages as 1 man ruined Pompey’s season (no it wasn’t me icon_wink.gif ) by the name of SAJA!! Now I do have a reputation of criticising keepers but this man was truly awful averaging a 6.67 in the league and costing us at least 30 points. Now I can hear you all screaming why didn’t you play your back up keeper ?

Well this is were I am to blame as I sold the other keeper thinking there would be no reason to keep him because Saja’s looked like he would be one of the best keepers in the world but well he was the worst buy I’ve ever made, maybe even the worst buy made in the history of EPL (yes even worse than the legendary buy of Niall, KEZMAN)

So in January I sold Saja for 5m after I bought him in the summer for 6m and went looking for a top quality keeper. The only problem was that if you want a decent keeper nowadays you have to pay 10m and I just didn’t have that kind of cash so till the end of the season I had to play my young reserve keeper Guttallei.

In the Champions League we looked like going all the way until we met Milan in the second stage. We all still remember the last clash I had with Milan when I was at city having over 30 shots to there 6 and somehow lost, could history repeat itself here?

Well the first leg at Fratton was all us but we were only able to make 2 good chances which we missed with Milan not even venturing out of there own half. The second leg Milan scored there ONLY chance in the first minute to take the lead and then defended well to win 1-0 and end our Champions League dream. icon_frown.gif

So with a very disappointing campaign I sold a few players

Beasley 20m

Aranda 9m

Fritz 2.5m

Van Bommel 2m

Buffel 2m

Knight 1.7m

Barbosa 1.5m

Bonnacio 1m

Cassetti 1m

We also had a bid for the premiership player of the season Kalou of 30m which I rejected and a 60m bid from united for pazzini but in the end I didn’t have to make the difficult decision as they couldn’t afford him.

I was able to bring in a lot of quality through bosmans and also spend 17m on 2 top class players.

SWP 11m

Was able to bring him in for a cheapish price as City were relegated, class back up to Kalou

Balitsch 6m

Voted best right back in the champions league last year at 6m he is a bargain

Wiese Free

Class keeper who hopefully wont be another Saja

Rothen Free

One of the best left wingers in the world, age is his only downside as he is 30

Villa Free

BARGAIN OF THE SEASON!! Worth 30m and I get him on a bosman. Him and Pazzini should be lethal this season

Donovan Free

Top class versatile midfielder who will be priceless back up

Bouma Free

Good defender who will rotate with Hubschman

Kerzhakov Free

Another class striker on a free who will be back up for Pazzini and Villa

Peralta

Just like Donovan he is a top class versatile attacker

With the team looking like this

Gk Weise

DL Evra

DC Hubschman

DC Bouma

DR Baltisch

ML Rothen

MC Mascherano

MC Mavuba

MR Kalou

SC Pazzini

SC Villa

With the back up players being

SWP

Kerzhakov

Kleber

Carvalho

Clark

Peralta

Donovan

As you can see if we lose 1 of the Centre backs there isn’t an ideal replacement so I will be doing my best to solve the problem ASAP.

Spurs 2-0 Portsmouth

Spurs dominated the first half but only made a few chances, unlucky for us Wesie only made one mistake which at this level costs you a goal . Second half was a dull affair with neither team making a chance. All in all a bad day for us but then again we were missing our best two player Pazzini and kalou as for some reason they were at the Olympics.

Portsmouth 1-0 Wolves

Kalou and Pazzini were missing again but this time SWP was here to score on his debut and give us our first win of the season. Another positive from the first two games has been Rothen who as terrorised the opposition in both games.

Newcastle 2-1 Portsmouth

Very unlucky to lose this with Sanctis playing like a god being on a match rating of 10 after the first 14mins stopping 4 one on ones icon_eek.gif . Then Mavuba even missed an open goal for us with things getting even worse when Newcastle score there first shot on Target on the 24th minute. Straight after half time we started how we finished the first half and once again we had a great chance but this time we scored it thanks to Mascherano from the pen spot. However it didn’t last long as 2 minutes later Newcastle scored again with only there second shot on target!!! angryfire.gif We piled on the pressure but just couldn’t score against the godly Sanctis

Portsmouth 4-1 Southampton

Mascherano set the tone for this match as he scored a marvellous free kick in the 7th minute. After that we went on to totally dominate with Southampton taking till the 32nd minute to actually get out there half and muster a shot from 30 yards which went atleast 10 foot wide. Then right on the stroke of half time Southampton equalised with only there second shot and first on target.

At half time the man came on as kalou made his return and scored not 1 but 2 goal of the month contenders to make it 3-1 in the 51st and 59th minute. Villa then opened his account with another GOTM contender to make it 4-1 game over for the saints. We truly hammered Southampton having 29 shots to there 3, luckily for Southampton Pazzini was still at the Olympics otherwise this could quite easily of gone into double figures.

With the Keeper being slightly dodgy I am also brining in a new keeper for 4m who will replace weise if he doesn’t buck his ideas up.

So up to now we have been unlucky to lose two but atleast at home we look like the real deal just as we did two seasons ago when we qualified for the champions league.

...he was the worst buy I’ve ever made, maybe even the worst buy made in the history of EPL (yes even worse than the legendary buy of Niall, KEZMAN)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop exaggerating, there'll never be a worse buy than Kezman

Cheers mate, yeah - move over Davy Moyes. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

let's not be TOO hasty icon_biggrin.gif

skylogo_default.gif

Sorry guys - I just have no work to do and I'm really bored. icon_biggrin.gif

Murphy's mind games begin early in an interview with Sky Sports

It's 2 O'clock in the afternoon on a sunny August day in Merseyside as a shiny black Mazda RX8 roars through the Liverpudlian streets and performs a handbrake turn at 55 mph through the newly painted blue gates at Goodison Park. Well they won the championship so it was time to splash some cash....

All of a sudden there is a buzz of anticipation amongst the Everton supporters mingling outside the ground as their new hero, the suave, sophisticated, good looking young Irish manager Niall Murphy steps out of the car, unshaven and wearing an expensive pair of designer shades. Today football is far from his mind as he approaches the one reason he's making an appearance at Goodison today.

In front of him stands the stunningly attractive Kirsty Gallagher of Sky Sports News, whose attempts to ignore the Everton manager were doomed to failure. After all who could resist the charm of an Irishman who also has a big............trophy to his name?

Murphy: Delighted to meet you at last Kirsty and may I say you're as hot in the flesh as you looked in my bed, oops er, Freudian slip there, I mean on TV, earlier this morning? (grins)

Kirsty: (blushes) Thanks Niall, I'm delighted to have the opportunity to interview you but I didn't expect you to be so, charming...

Murphy: Nevermind Kirsty, it just comes naturally to me. Lets go somewhere more private. Would you like that?

Kirsty: Indeed I would - but if we're going to go inside I may get a little sweaty.

Niall: Don't worry about that Kirsty, I won't tell anyone - for at least a few hours.

Half an hour later and the interview begins in Murphy's private office:

What are the main priorities for Everton this year?

Well Kirsty the main aim for me this season is to stay ahead of the chasing pack of managers that wish to replicate our success last season. The ante has been upped and I'm awaiting a response from the EPL.

So, given a choice between the Champions League and retaining the Premiership which would you prefer

To be honest Kirsty, I'd have to say the main goal is retaining the Championship. By winning the league you have proved yourself to be the best team in the country and indeed the most consistent team around. The Champions League is of course very prestigious but it's more like a glorified cup competition now. Having said that, we'll be having a right go at the European Cup. Our first round draw has been kind. Aside from two tough games against Valencia we should be able to handle the other two teams in our group. Last years UEFA campaign has given us much needed European experience which will be beneficial. At the very least we want to do better than Andy Nilsen's Portsmouth who only reached the last 16. If we can get into the Quarter Finals, that will be an achievement, but there is class all around us in this competition.

How do you assess Everton's chances of retaining the Championship this season?

Wow, that's a hard one. I think the first three games this season has proved the old saying to be correct. It is easier to win the title than to defend it as we are the team that everyone wants to beat. This season I think will be even harder as the competition has upped their game. Aside from Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea - there is championship potential at Tottenham, Birmingham and indeed Portsmouth have a world class XI and can't continue to underachieve surely. Early pace setters WBA look good this year as Morris, having had plenty of cash to throw around, rebuilds his team quietly. Overall, I think we will fight and try to do it but at the end of the day the best side will win. From my perspective we have a team capable of winning it again.

How do you react to Danny King's charge that Everton were lucky last season?

Listen, King needs to placate his fans as we saw from his statement last night. He's spent a lot of money to get into the position he's in at the moment and the pressure is building on him to deliver I'm sure. This year we have both spent big on Italian strikers and I am confident that Gilardinho was the right man to buy but time will tell. When King says I'm a lucky manager I ask him, did he beat Manchester United? Did he do the double over Chelsea? Did he win at Goodison Park when he had the chance to get back into the picture? If he's honest with himself he knows that luck, while it as always played a part, was not as important to us as he is making out. However, I welcome King's challenge as it helps makes the Premiership the greatest league in the world and that is why we both want to win it.

Rick Boult has also added his tuppence worth, claiming you will challenge but fail this season. What do you say to that?

I think it's time Boult put his money where his mouth is. He admits himself he is outspoken so he won't mind me putting the ball back in his court and challenging him to deliver with his admittedly very good team. We don't underestimate Rick Boult but we need to see what he's made off at the top end. It's all right winning the Championship with Blackburn but does he deserve a place at the top table of England? Only he can answer that on the pitch.

And your rivalry with Nilsen and Ilyas seems to rumble on?

Yes although I have to say this sniping and name calling from mid-table displays a lack of maturity and this seems to be reflected in the on field performances of Fulham and Portsmouth respectively.

So in summary what's your assessment of the EPL at the minute?

Yeah, all that remains to be said is we wish to prove to the doubters that we aren't a one season wonder. The competition in the EPL is high at the minute and as I mentioned there are a lot of talented sides around and we'll all be battling to get to the top of the pile. Let us start with a win over Manchester United then lets think about tackling Bouchard. The best team will win and all we can do is believe that it will be us.

Ok, thanks Niall now lets get jiggy with it?

Certainly ma darlin...

skylogo_default.gif

Liverpool problems deepened last night when Danny King II turned down their managerial vacancy. After a meeting yesterday with Ralph Gold, his chairman at Birmingham, King, who was among the candidates to replace Wolfgang Dremmier, rejected what would have been a controversial switch from St Andrews to Anfield. For his part, King reaffirmed his commitment to Birmingham City.

Gold’s substantial investment in players such as Ammendolea and Huddlestone this summer was a big factor in King’s decision. After finishing 3rd in the league, and qualifying for the Champions League, there are high hopes at St Andrews of challenging for the league title itself. They could finish above Liverpool in the Barclays Premiership, a point that Gold is sure to have made.

King has an escape clause, worth about £25 million to Birmingham, in his new five-year contract, but it does not become active until the end of the season, meaning that he would have to walk out to join Liverpool. That would leave Birmingham demanding to be fully compensated for a manager who earns £1.5 million a year

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I’m a Spurs man at heart and that is where my roots are so that is the only job in football that I would leave Brum for and currently Rick Boult is doing an awesome job there. Everyone knows what the club means to me, but nothing’s changed, I’ve got a job to do here and am determined to get on with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His sentiment was echoed by David Sullivan, the Birmingham co owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know managers who don’t even speak to their board, but we’re friends and are in this for the long haul,†he said. “We have had no approach and he wants to see this through but I do feel that King might end up receiving a more appealing offer. “The next time the Spurs job come up I don't think we will not be able to stand in his way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

everton.gif

The team is the same, the tactics are the same, so what the hell has happened to the defence?

Last night's session threw up some interesting and disappointing results for Everton as we struggle to get the defence of the championship underway in a convincing style. Having only conceded 20 goals all last season, we have contrived to ship half that total already in the opening seven games icon_eek.gif so it is obvious where the problems lie at the minute. Despite this, Everton have only lost one and it is very early days.

This was balanced by the expected comfortable victory in our first champions league game against the mighty Loko by 4-0, but Everton's boss Murphy was left rueing the fact that the little bit of luck you need to win games seems to have deserted the club at the minute as the Toffees have become the Premiership's draw specialists.

FA Barclaycard Premiership

Everton 1 - 1 Manchester United

A tough game is always expected against United whose squad is one of the best around in Europe - runners up in the Champions League last season. Having won 2-0 last season with a 4-5-1, Murphy kept faith in the system that brought this success and by and large it was successful. With Petrov giving Giourkas Seitaridis a torrid time down the left, Everton took the lead when my Bulgarian international winger was upended in the fox by the Greek defender, giving new signing Gonzalez the chance to score from the spot. The one nil lead looked comfortable despite the best efforts of Ronaldino, Cassano and Tuncay to change things but unfortunately Everton's goalkeepers seem to have lost the plot this season.

Young Kapser Schmeichel was in for the injured Isaksson and was having a competent game well positioned for a few long rangers United had hit but it was his mistake that cost us the three points. Schmeichel for some reason (I asked him what the feck he was doing but he is 6'4 and I didn't want to push it icon_wink.gif) hit a goal kick out to Clichy at left back when Wayne Rooney was lurking dangerously. Naturally, Rooney won the ball and ran in to score the equaliser. icon_mad.gif After this, United decided to hold what they had in a 4-5-1. When Everton moved to 4-4-2 we caused Rensing some difficulty in goal but just couldn't score a second.

Everton 1 - 1 Aston Villa

Well as my mate down at Bolton David Pagi so eloquently said when he was beaten unjustly by Mo, "Someone call the cops cos there's been daylight robbery at Goodison." Sam Bouchard's men somehow got away with a point after Everton pulverised the Villa goal for the entire match but found Sorensen having the game of his life. Everton eventually found a way through in the second half when Petrov opened the scoring and I was expecting us to go on and win the game comfortably such was our domination of proceeedings. However, the referee was soon to intervene by sending off Nigel De Jong for a professional foul, though this time Murphy had no complaints at the decision as the Villa player was in on goal. With 10 men it was still Everton who carried the game to Villa with three good efforts narrowly missing. Then with Villa's first serious attack of the half on 79 minutes, a looping cross found one of Sam's strikers who nodded home. Typical. By this stage, Murphy was tearing his hair out on the bench in despair. A great point for Sam Bouchard in the end but he was one lucky sod in this one.

Arsenal 4 - 3 Everton

The bad news for Everton fans before this game is that although Isaksson was fit to return to the team, Joseph Yobo was off playing for Nigeria and Nigel De Jong was suspended. Therefore Murphy was unable to call on half of his defence and had to recall Alex for the game and re-instate the dropped Bogelund at Right Back. Fabregas got the nod over Flamini and partnered Sivok and Ledesma in the middle of the park. It didn't take long for the defence to miss the rock that is Yobo as after twenty odd minutes, Alex allowed the Arsenal attack too much room and that meant 1-0 to the European Champions. Just like last season Everton turned it around to go 2-1 ahead only to see Patrick Vieira immediately pull it back to 2-2. Just before half time, Gilardinho scored his second of the game to put Everton 3-2 ahead with a bullet header and Murphy was off his seat in celebration in what was a fantastic opening half between the best two teams in England, the European Champions and the Premiership Champions.

In the second half Everton lead all the way through to the last 12 minutes until Henry equalised after Flamini had put a great chance over the bar. As Murphy cursed his luck but got ready to settle for another point, one minute later a speculative shot by Julian Gray was somehow spilled into his own goal by Isaksson to gift the game to the Gunners. 4-3 and Isaksson's form is seriously worrying me at the minute as I feel he has been culpable for a few of the goals we have conceded though I will not go down the Nilsen route of just blaming four years of failure on his part due to goalkeepers. icon_biggrin.gif

Everton 1 - 1 WBA

Well our difficult start to the campaign continued with Chris Morris' WBA (flying high in second place) visiting Goodison. Having lead throughout the second half through a typical Kallstrom effort, Chris Morris somehow managed to wangle four minutes of injury time off his best mate, the fourth official, who had a WBA shirt on underneath his referee's outfit. With the last kick of the game in the 94th minute, Albion's first chance of the day was converted with the last kick of the game leaving Murphy ready to punch the lights out of the match officials. So unlucky but we had the luck vs Chelsea so I can't complain too much.

So amazingly we have dominated Man Utd, Aston Villa, WBA and been 3-2 up at Highbury at half time and not won any of the games. We have definitely been robbed off six points which means we sit in 10th at the minute with seven games played one win, five draws and only the one defeat - for those who are writing us off already. icon_wink.gif

The goalkeeping situation needs to be looked at and I also have reason to ponder why the players match fitness is not holding up as well as in previous seasons which I feel may be costing us late goals. However, it has been a very difficult start to the campaign and I'm confident that now we've been to Stamford Bridge, Highbury and played Man Utd and my bogey side WBA that we can regroup and start to put together a winning run. Nilsen at Portsmouth is getting cocky and no one wants to see the big head get ideas that he is in with a shout this season. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived