EPL Challenge (The Ultimate Premier League Experience) FM2005 [*Established Clan*]

everton.gif

With 14 games of the season completed, Everton are surpassing my expectations and sit in 3rd place in the English Premiership. Here’s a rundown of recent games.

FA Barclaycard Premiership

Everton 2 – 0 Leicester

The season kicked off at Goodison Park against Leicester City, one of the favourites for the relegation scrap. With two of Murphy’s star players in Kim Kallstrom and Tobias Hysen ruled out for the opening months of the campaign, it was going to be important to get as many points as possible on the board while we waited on their return to first team action. Murphy’s opening day season three line up was:

GK: Iain Turner

RB: Sascha Reither

LB: Olivier Bernard

CB: Jean-Alain Boumsong

CB: Joseph Yobo

CM: Fabio Liverani

CM: Tomas Sivok

LM: Andy Reid

RM: Valdo

CF: Emmanuelle Calaio

CF: Maciej Zurawski

S1: Aaron Hughes

S2: Matthieu Flamini

S3: Fabio Rochemback

S4: Federico Piovaccari

S5: Robert Green

Everton’s first goal of the campaign on 22 minutes was a beauty, moving from left to right of the field with short intricate passing splitting Leicester asunder. New signing Valdo took a pass from Sivok, beat three men and crossed to Zurawski to notch once again for the Toffees. Man of the match Valdo is already becoming an instant hero on Merseyside. On 31 minutes it was 2-0 and this was more direct, Boumsong winning a defensive header and Zurawski latching onto the loose ball to run in and slot home. The big risk in this game was playing youngster Turner in goal and he justified his inclusion with a 90th minute penalty save from Chris Sutton. A comfortable win and start to the new campaign. icon14.gif

Newcastle 1 – 2 Everton

Newcastle are back in the Premiership and St James’ Park was a daunting first away trip of the season. The only change for Everton was the inclusion of the more defensive Fabio Grosso on the left wing, with Andy Reid dropping to the bench. On the day, Everton were indebted to a man of the match performance by Ian Turner in goal, the youngster stopping everything Newcastle threw at us in an outstanding display, bar a fantastic late screamer from 35 yards from Milner when the game was almost over. Yet another goal of the month scored against my side, which is feckin annoying. We were also indebted to an excellent performance by Emmanuelle Calaio, who put us in front after four minutes, latching onto a lovely ball from Zurawski and getting between Carr and Andy O’Brien to slot home. The match winner arrived on 38 minutes as Grosso found Calaio in loads of space and the big Italian made no mistake. A top win. icon_cool.gif

Everton 1 – 2 Aston Villa

Aston Villa are now clearly my bogey side after the Villans turned me over once again. A few changes to the team saw David Thompson replace Valdo on the right and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink make his Everton debut in place of the injured Calaio. This time we started brilliantly versus Villa with Zurawski playing in Thompson on 12 minutes to put us ahead. After this Villa were the better side and played us off the park in a convincing comeback, although young Turner had a game to forget. On 30 minutes that man again, Kevin Nolan drifted into the box to nod home although there was some doubt as to whether he meant it or not. And on 45 Angel latched onto a chance to put Villa in front with a total fluke. But Villa deserved this win, no complaints. icon_frown.gif

Q.P.R. 1 – 3 Everton

First trip to Loftus Road to face Premiership new boys QPR. Valdo and Calaio were back but Rochemback replaced Sivok in midfield and Hughes was in for Reither. Jens Lehmann starting in goal. On 17 minutes I was stunned when Lehmann saved a shot but could only push it out to some bloke called Cooper to score for QPR. Argh. However, Everton got back into the game just before HT, when Zurawski slotted home a penalty to set up an interesting second half. QPR held out well until the 79th minute when a three man move consisting of Andy Reid, substitute Alexander Frei and Valdo, saw the Spaniard play in the Swiss striker for his first goal for the club on his debut. Four minutes later it was 3-1 , Valdo again causing havoc down the right to put in Frei for his second of the game. Looks like Murphy has got himself another class striker!! icon_biggrin.gif

Arsenal 2 – 1 Everton

Murphy was not a happy camper after this game as his specially designed tactic 5 mins before the game on a pack of Marly Lights looked like it was going to yield his first win at Highbury. After just three minutes, Flamini hit a 25 yard rocket past Almunia to put Everton ahead. However, for the second time in two seasons, Everton ended up with 10 men at Highbury before the first half was finished, this time Bernard receiving his marching orders after just 16 minutes. And it got worse as Hughes who replaced Bernard at left back gave away a penalty after 35 that was dispatched into the net by Henry. Arsenal won the game on 66 when Pennant fired past Lehmann, but I was ripping at us getting nothing from the referee for the second season in a row.

Everton 2 – 0 Wolves

Comfortable win over strugglers Wolves, Liverani and Frei the goalscorers.

Man Utd 3 – 0 Everton

No Liggins for this game against a Man Utd side that has spent £112m pounds in an attempt to buy the title. icon15.gif As expected United walked the game, Everton putting up a token resistance to the 4-2-3-1 tactic with so many stars on peak form. Not a game I expected to get anything from.

Everton 0 – 0 Fulham

With Ilyas back at the helm and immediately setting about constantly sniping at Everton in the press this was a game that had a certain edge to it once again, for Fulham, who are not at Everton’s level yet. Ilyas’ teams always have a common denominator in that they are usually a bit dull, heavily weighted in favour of not conceding a goal so the manager cannot lose. icon_razz.gif Of course, you are supposed to put one in at the other end, but for the second season in a row, Fulham rarely got out of their own half to bother the Everton backline. At the end of this game, even Ilyas was scratching his barnet trying to figure out how his side held out in a 90 minute onslaught of the Cottagers goal. With Everton dominating, Murphy tried several different alterations to his 4-4-2 system in an attempt to get through Ilyas’ 4-1-3-1-1 but found Roy Carroll in outstanding form throughout the game. In the end I was very disappointed to drop two points in a game we should have won at a canter. Fair play to Mo though, the improvement in Fulham is already there to see, even if they struggle to create anything of note whatsoever. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Bolton 1– 2 Everton

Pagi is struggling but always gives me a good game and indeed is fortunate on most occasions to have the excellent Jaakselinen to fall back upon when needed. And Pagi needed him today despite taking the lead through that pain in the arse Mansiz, who notched against Everton once again after 29 minutes. However, Everton got back into the game before halftime through Hesselink and from then on dominated in search for the winning goal. This search looked to be in vain and Murphy was gearing himself up for another two points dropped in a game we were comfortably the best side when Jussi Jak made an uncharacteristic error in the 90th minute, giving the ball straight to my new lethal forward Alexander Frei. As expected, the Swiss international made no mistake to grab a vital three points for the Toffees.

Everton 2 – 1 Southampton

Dominated a game where a poor Saints side took the lead through Folly on with their first shot on goal after 48. Steel’s hopes of a huge upset were dashed when the returning Hysen fed Valdo to cross for the mighty Pole Zurawski to score yet again vs the Saints at the near post. On 70, Zurawski sealed his brace from the penalty spot to send Steel home empty handed from Goodison again. icon_biggrin.gif

Portsmouth 2 – 0 Everton

With Andy Nilsen’s Pompey all of a sudden becoming difficult to break down at home, this was always going to be a tough encounter. However, Nilsen benefited from a generous display in goal from Everton’s Jens Lehmann whose Toffee career is now at an end. He should know by now that there is not much Murphy likes more than a defeated Nilsen and no doubt about it, Lehmann cost me that satisfaction. icon13.gif

The eccentric German gifted two goals to the south coast outfit early on, which put the game beyond doubt after 20 minutes. When Green came on as sub it was a different story at the back for Everton, but this was Pompey’s best performance against us since I took over at Goodison and on this rare occasion they fully deserved the win. icon13.gif

Everton 3 – 0 Sunderland

Good bouncebackability shown from the previous defeat. With Kallstrom approaching full fitness after a few substitute appearances, the first payback of the £8m transfer fee arrived with a lovely curling cross that picked out Zurawski to open the scoring after 15 mins. Sunderland held out until 84 minutes when Gary Breen played a great ball to midfielder Flamini who slotted a fine ball to Frei to make it 2-0. And on 92 Valdo got his first for the club, slotting home from short range.

Birmingham 0 – 1 Everton

With Danny King gleefully reminding Murphy in the press before the game that his Birmingham side had the better of last season’s duels, I needed no more motivation than that to get a result in Birmingham. However, Danny’s side had an awesome home record pre-game and had yet to lose at St Andrew’s. That record was soon to be vanquished though as a superior Everton team kept an inspiring clean sheet restricting Birmingham to three efforts on target and looking a decent threat up front. Danny’s best chance was in the 20th minute when Suazao got in ahead of the defender but fired right at Green in goal.

Everton won the game with a superb counter attack from a corner. Boumsong scaring Savage into losing the ball on the edge of Everton’s box, fed Hesselink who sprayed a wonderful pass out to Hysen on our right flank. The Swede playing into the unmarked Calaio, but this time the Italian hit a poor effort, but Cudicini in the Birmingham goal could only parry to Hesselink who had made up the ground and beat Emerton to the rebound to slot home. A very satisfying win. icon_biggrin.gif

Everton 1 – 0 Liverpool

At last a win in the Merseyside derby for Murphy, a solitary goal from Calaio settled an evenly fought out derby and put Everton in 3rd place, four points ahead of their local rivals in 7th.

The Carling Cup - 2nd Round

Everton 3 – 0 Charlton

Goals from new boys Reid, and Frei (2) wrapped up a comfortable win against the Championship outfit.

The Carling Cup – 3rd Round

Everton 2 – 1 Southampton

Amazingly Everton drew Rob Steel’s Southampton in the Carling Cup for the third year in succession. And for the third year in a row, Southampton went out and Everton progressed despite Steel’s normal ploy of lying to the press pre game about his intended line up. icon15.gif Southampton gave us a scare by taking the lead through Vassell, but Everton have the psychological edge and I was confident we would break down the Southampton defence. Everton’s equaliser was excellent, Flamini surging through the midfield and playing in Hesselink. The skill here was awesome as Hesselink played a quick one two with Frei before turning and scoring on 70 minutes. And on 79, Hysen announced to the Premiership he was back, with a curling free kick into the top corner to send us through to play Leicester. Steel’s men put up a really good game here and here’s hoping we can avoid each other in next year’s competition. icon_smile.gif

The Carling Cup – 4th Round

Everton 2 – 0 Leicester

The Toffees reached their third Carling Cup QF in succession and will play either Swansea, or more likely Rick Boult’s ever improving Blackburn Rovers in the last eight, goals from Kallstrom and Rochemback from the spot sealing the win.

So a good campaign thus far but there remains a long way to go and many of my fellow managers have very good sides this season and can't be ruled out of getting into the mix. Last season it all went pear shaped just after Xmas so here is hoping that scenario doesn't repeat itself this season. Next up is a difficult game at Sam Bouchard's Tottenham, who have a stronger team than us so if we get anything there, it may be an indicator that Everton are destined for a very good final position.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tottenham.gif

Doing It All?

This season Tottenham boss Sam Bouchard stepped up and said that his team were capable of beating anybody and would go on to clinch his first trophy in the EPL. Many saw the squad as one of the best in the land for attacking play and not even Ligs' powerful United could disagree after the signings looked extremly strong. Many other EPL managers couldn't cope with the pressure that Bouchard was applying on the opening day of the season and so decided to go on holiday for the start of the year. Chris Morris was the first to move away from the spotlight and was quickly followed by Richard Liggins. Bouchard felt the only way to deal with the decisions that they made, was to join them and miss the first few weeks of the season.

Roumer has it that Ligs took the youth team away in a caravan for a trip round Europe whilst Chris Morris decided he'd just camp out in an old tree house at his parents house. Beans from a tin anybody?

Speaking from his hotel in Los Angeles, Bouchard held a press conference.

Why have you chosen to leave the country just at the start of the season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, last year Spurs had a dismal start to the campaign to which really scuppered our chances of winning anything. Dispite a decent crack at the titles later on in the year, I think it was this particular time that screwed us up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've recently aquired the Brazilian talent Ewerthon, with so many attacking palyers already at the club how do you see him fitting in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The attacking options at my disposal currently at the club are fantastic. Simmo(Simon Davies), Ronny(Cristiano Ronaldo), Roy(Keane), Lefty(Freddy Guarin), NIKO-NIKO-NIKO(Kranjcar) and Jimmy Mack(James McFadden) are all fantastic players to which would command a start in anybody's line up. Ewerthon will fit in nicely in the centre of the midfield. He's the most confident player i know on the pitch, wanting to go round everybody....twice if he had the time. Infact yesterday he spent 57 minutes running in and out of cones...i'm suprised he didn't pick up the injury Carrick did after falling over one of the blasted things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You like giving people nicknames at the club, is there any reason behind it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Of Course there is...otherwise i wouldn't do it would i? Err anyway, yeah i think giving people nicknames because it helps the team gell quicker. To win things in this game you've gotta have a team that eats, sleeps and in Jermain and Robbo's case even s**ts together. I saw it a couple of times after hearing the idea passed about on the coach once. Thought it was weird that they went to the eau de toilette together but well...what can you say? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The nicknames Sam?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ahh right yeah, well like i said, it helps people gell together. As for what they mean...i think most are self explanatry really aren't they? Alright i'll give you a hand with some of 'em. When i was introduced to the players they all shook my hand and told me their name. Simon Davies went to tell me his name when a couple of the lads grabbed his 'meat and veg', and the name he told me was 'Simmo'. Quite funny i thought so it's stuck with him now. 'Lefty'...well you should get that one.... go on have a try to explain it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errrm...he's left footed?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Close...but so far. Freddy Guarin...Fred Guarin...Right Said Fred...Left Said Fred....Lefty...there we go...done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So....when are you going back to England?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well i'll have a short break out here first then i'll get back on the Virgin Atlantic plane, sit in my first class seat with a pint and crash out for the 11 hour flight home. I spent the summer tracking Ewerthon and going on tour with the youth team rather than taking a break. I've got the wife with me too so it's technically not a 'holiday' as such but ahh...life's a bitch. She's unpackin now and probably findin the surprise i packed..right about n.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At that moment Sam's gorgeous wife walked into the conference room sporting a very very small bikini.

"SAM....UPSTAIRS NOW!" said Lucy..his biatch.

Within a flash...*Wa Hey!*...Sam was up from his seat and sprinted after his partially clad wife!

In his absense from club duties the 3 Assistant Managers took charge of the club, here's how they got on.

Saturday 12th August 2006

Bolton [1]: Chamakha(22)

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Defoe(50)

Wednesday 16th August 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Kanoute(52)

Southampton [0]:

Saturday 19th August 2006

Portsmouth [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [0]:

Wednesday 23rd August 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [4]: Kanoute(20), McFadden(29), Guarin(66), King(89)

Sunderland [1]: Morrison(57)

Saturday 26th August 2006

Birmingham City [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [0]:

Saturday 9th September 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Riise(69 og)

Liverpool [0]:

Thursday 14th August 2006 - UEFA Cup First Round First Leg

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Kanoute(45)

Zelesnik [0]: Zivkovic(3)

Sam Bouchard returned to England and indeed Tottenham Hotspur where he climbed aboard the team bus and headed for the M6...

Saturday 23rd September 2006

West Brom [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [3]: Defoe(9), Guarin(13), Ewerthon(69)

Chris Morris' side were denied a couple of certain starters on the left hand side through injury and another few through suspension however the line up still showed some class. Dispite a good side lining up they just couldn't handle the Spurs attacking line of Kanoute, Defoe, Ronaldo, Davies and McFadden, but then again, which teams can?!

Superb build up play for both first and second goals with Cristiano Ronaldo once again the magician at the heart of both moves. Defoe took his goal tremendously well, plucking the ball out of the air onto his chest from a Ronaldo cross to belt it home 1-0. Freddy Guarin's on an extreme amount of form this season and really sucked it to Morris' side with one of the sweetest strikes i've ever seen.

Ewerthon emerged onto the field with Roy Keane replacing the tired Guarin and McFadden to an ovation from the crowd. The two that emerged quickly established positions on the field and linked up well for the remaining half an hour or so. The first move they made together produced a quite wonderful goal from Ewerthon with some fantastic creative play from man of the match Cristiano Ronaldo. A very good away performance to provide a jump of two places up the table to 5th.

Thursday 28th September 2006 UEFA Cup First Round Second Leg

Zelesnik [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [3]: Kanoute(7,14), Guarin(40)

Attacking start for Spurs to the UEFA Cup First Round, Second Leg, saw Freddie Kanoute breakthrough the foreign defence and shatter the dreams of the 9 Zelsnik fans in attendance. Kanoute had much the run of the park for the first half and looked like he would very much get his hat-trick quite early on but it wasn't to be.

The goal that put Spurs into the Second Round was yet another Freddy Guarin wonderstrike. This lad jus keeps bangin' em in for Spurs....this lad just seems to s**t goals at the minute to the manager's delight.

Sunday 1st October 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [2]: Ronaldo(25), Defoe(56)

Man City [0]:

Today saw some fantastic link up play from the midfielders. Cristiano Ronaldo assisted Davies, McFadden assisted Guarin and everybody was in awe of the passing on display. It took a great piece of work on the right wing from Jermain Defoe to produce the first goal as he crossed to Ronny in the centre of the goal who duly knocked it in the back of the net. The second goal was on the opposite side of the field yet looked exactly the same. This time it was the other way around with Ronaldo crossing for Defoe, and a headed goal into the top corner.

City attacked well after Defoe's header but still didn't have the final umpfh to knock the ball past Robbo in goal. City look like a good side just lacking something at the top.

Sunday 22nd October 2006

Leicester City [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [2]: Ewerthon(5), Defoe(37)

Leicester lacked so much in this game to which i would've predicted a draw. An Ewerthon run that resembled that of Ryan Giggs' against Arsenal in 99' where he ran through defenders to bomb the ball home. That effort was astounding, something that earned Ewerthon the goal of the month award.

Ewerthon turned provider in the 37th minute when he chipped a delightful ball through just over the defensive line for Defoe to knock in to make it too. A Solid performance away from home against the EPL strugglers Leicester.

Wednesday 4th October 2006

Chelsea [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [4]: Kanoute(45,52,79), Defoe(64)

After last year's demolition of Chelsea with a 4-2 win at the bridge Spurs really had the confidence in this game. Chelsea are a very very good side that every year seem to pick up enough points to win the title but this year it could well be a different story.

The Tottenham roadshow started on the stroke of half time when a Petr Cech mistake started procedings. Last year Cudicini messed up to let in Kanoute and this year it was another error that allowed the Mali striker to chip the ball into an empty net to ensure that Spurs went into the break 1-0.

The second half was just breathtaking. Chelsea were played off the park and for once were punished by it. Many teams claim to dominate Mourinho's Chelski but never really seem to pick up the points that they deserve. Spurs dominated and picked up the 3 points after Kanoute bagged a hat trick and Defoe also netted.

A Very good performance from the lads who seriously have a good chance at winning trophy's going on these kind of performances.

Saturday 14th October 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [0]:

Middlesbrough [1]: Beattie(11)

Phhh....where to start! A well organised 'Boro side came to White Hart Lane and registered the first points taken from the ground all season. A Well organised core to the side just couldn't be broken and it showed after they sat on the ball and parked the bus so to speak after 11 minutes.

Fair play to 'Boro they played well, but lessons can and will be learnt from this kind of performance.

Thursday 18th October 2006 UEFA Cup Group Stage

Legia [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [4]: Defoe(18,64), Kranjcar(38), Ewerthon(59)

The same outcome as the Chelsea match secured Spurs' place at the top of their UEFA Cup group. Goals from Defoe, Kranjcar marking his return from injury with a goal, and Ewerthon with another masterclass in dribbling.

A decent performance is acceptable and four goals certainly are! The group doesn't look like it will challenge Spurs too much unlike fellow English team Birmingham who faced Real Madrid away for the first game!

Sunday 22nd October 2006

Leicester City [0]:

Tottenham Hotspur [2]: Ewerthon(5), Defoe(37)

Leicester lacked so much in this game to which i would've predicted a draw. An Ewerthon run that resembled that of Ryan Giggs' against Arsenal in 99' where he ran through defenders to bomb the ball home. That effort was astounding, something that earned Ewerthon the goal of the month award.

Ewerthon turned provider in the 37th minute when he chipped a delightful ball through just over the defensive line for Defoe to knock in to make it too. A Solid performance away from home against the EPL strugglers Leicester.

Wednesday 25th October 2006 League Cup 3rd Round

Tottenham Hotspur [3]: Ewerthon(5,11), Moore(89)

Middlesbrough [0]:

Drawing 'Boro in the League Cup was fine, giving Bouchard a chance to show off his managerial bounce back ability.

In a game where Spurs could've scored 4 or even 5, they netted 3, and all of a decent quality. Ewerthon was outstanding throughout and really lead a younger Tottenham team through the game. Luke Moore got his first start of the season and would've had a couple of goals to his name if it wasn't for their goalkeeper who made some fantastic saves.

Saturday 28th October 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [2]: Defoe(17), Moore(83)

Newcastle [1]: Ciurlizza(90)

Newcastle, premoted last season, put up a decent fight but nothing that would've troubled Spurs' defence. Defoe bagged an early goal whilst Moore came off the bench to score his second in two games infront of an impressed Sven Goran Eriksson.

Ciurlizze did score a goal late late on to give Newcastle fans something to cheer about, but only after Spurs had switched off thinkin' the game was won. Nothing more happened in the match after the goal went in as the ref blew the whistle on a relativly quiet afternoon.

Thursday 2nd November 2006 UEFA Cup Group Stage

Nantes [1]: Kamara(29)

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Kanoute(21)

An absolutly knackered Tottenham Hotspur went on their travels once again, this time to France where they picked up a point against worthy challengers Nantes.

Freddie Kanoute's early goal was cancelled out just before the half an hour mark, and 5 minutes after the home side were down to 10 men. Spurs had no energy to attack, and with the home side's willingness to sit back and let the away side keep the ball, the scoreline was hardly going to improve.

Sunday 5th November 2006

Aston Villa [2]: Delaney(13), Ammendolena(31)

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Ronaldo(75)

With the wind knocked out of Spurs sails through the sheer amount of fixtures, the Aston Villa game was always going to be a tricky one. Villa have proven to be one of the better EPL sides in recent years, picking up wins against Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool at Villa Park and have always seemed to have that edge over Spurs.

After Villa went two nill up early on Spurs were hit through injury to Kanoute, which of course didn't aid the mission ahead. A late Ronaldo goal gave some hope of a surge but to no avail as for only the second time this season Spurs came away from a league game empth handed.

Wednesday 8th November 2006

Tottenham Hotspur [1]: Moore(117)

Manchester United [0]:

After beating Portsmouth 7-0 the previous week in the league and topping the table after 14 games it was United that went into the game the sheer favourites.

United tried to attack the defence but they just weren't a budging to Bouchard's delight! A Luke Moore appearence from the bench with 6 minutes to go in Extra Time, produced a top quality header that sank United.

The cup dream lives on....as does that dream of winning the lot!

blackburn.gif

***Blackburn Manager Faces Surgery***

With the season now under way many thought this would be the season Blackburn Rovers manager Rick Boult would shine. However, a cruel twist of fate has seen the yorkshireman fall off a set off ladders and has suffered posterior cruciate ligament damage. It is not yet known how serious the injury is or how long it will take to recover but surgery seems like the only option available. With this in mind, Boult has been unable to train with the Blackburn squad and has instead been yet again delving into the transfer market.

Players In

Michele Pazienza (24 DMC) - 575k - Middlesbrough

Solid defensive midfielder providing quality cover to Renato

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (34 SC) - 140k - Middlesbrough

Banged them in last year in the Premiership, hoping for more of the same

Matthew Spring (26 MC) - 35k - Leeds United

Centre midfield cover for the departing Ferguson

Stefan Selakovic (29 AMRLC) - 600k - Everton

Can play either wing and will pop up with a few goals

Loans In

Arturo Lupoli (19 SC) - Arsenal

Even with plenty of firepower already, Lupoli adds another dimention with hopes of a permanent deal come the summer

Unable to 'kick every ball' like he usually does whilst standing on the sideline, Boult had his own bed and physio to replace the ice every 10 minutes during matches. The players took sympathy on this and showed Boult the kind of form he knew they were capable of !

Latest Results

League Cup 2nd Round

Torquay - Home - 4-0 - Scorers - Ferguson, Earnshaw x2, Gallagher

A weakened side came out comfortable winners with the result never in doubt

English Championship

Walsall - Home - 0-1 - Scorers - N/A

Dissapointing result as we dominated from start to finish but the early goal was never clawed back

English Championship

Crewe - Away - 3-0 - Scorers - Maghoma, Stead, Jimmy Floyd

Showed great 'bouncebackability' after the last game, the our goal for ourselves set up the result

English Championship

Derby - Home - 2-0 - Scorers - Renato, Jimmy Floyd

Derby who were tipped for promotion at the start of the season were easily beaten with Jimmy making it 2 in 2 for him

English Championship

Leeds - Away - 1-2 - Scorers - Earnshaw

Again a result which was marred by bad luck. Dominated again from start to finish, took the lead but 2 unfortunate deflections gave Leeds the win

League Cup 3rd Round

Aston Villa - Away - 1-0 - Scorers - Earnshaw

Result of the round, Villa, 5th in the Premiership were bowled over by the attack mindesness of Blackburn and when Earnshaw scored, the result was never in doubt.

English Championship

Watford - Home - 4-1 - Scorers - Renato, Selakovic, Stead x2

Carried on the good form from the last match with goals flying in from all angels. Steads 2nd a contender for goal of the season

English Championship

Shef Wed - Away - 3-0 - Scorers - Stead, Jimmy Floyd, O.G

Wednesday were 3rd before the start of play but straight from the kickoff league placings went out of the window, Moved ahead of the Owls after resoundingly beating them

English Championship

Palace - Home - 1-0 - Scorers - Earnshaw

2nd in the league so again another tricky tie. Went down to 10 after 37 minutes, Earnshaw struck the winner early in the second half and the better team won.

Blackburn were up to 3rd in the league and bedridden manager Rick Boult could be seen with tears in his eyes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm so proud of the lads these past few weeks. Not only have the results been coming our way but the type of football we have been playing has been out of this world. The boys up at Everton could only dream about playing this high tempo football, its great to watch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stats So Far (League)

Position - 3rd

Top Ratings - Kiran Bechan - 8.13

Top Goalscorer - Jonathan Stead - 8

Most Assists - Morten Gamst Pedersen - 7

everton.gif

With the clubs from 3rd to 8th only seperated by a few points, Everton sit 7th in the table which realistically is around where I expect us to finish although still hoping to reach the top 5.

Tottenham 4 - 3 Everton

A thrill a minute match against Sam Bouchard's Tottenham whose side contains attacking threat from all over the pitch. As he lets us know regularly. icon_wink.gif White Hart Lane is one of the hardest fixtures of the season and Spurs play their football with verve and attacking style. We took the lead very early through a neat finish by Hesselink and Bouchard wasn't expecting that such were the yelps coming from the Tottenham bench. However, the main man in this fixture was unfortunately playing in white. Freddie Kanoute remains one of the top Premiership strikers and he set about destroying the Everton defence with help from Cristiano Ronaldo, by scoring a hat trick to put Spurs 3-1 in front (although in fairness I had felt we were worthy of going back to 2-2). Everton rallied though and substitute Calaio rifled home an excellent finish with 15 minutes left to pull it back to 3-2. Game on again. As Everton went for the jugular to get the equaliser, there's only one Ronaldo, but it isn't him - hit us with the sucker punch three minutes for the end. Hysen scoring what in the end was a consolation in the final minute. Bouchard's side remain a level ahead of us in quality so we're doing well to be right up their smelly ass in the League table at this stage. icon_razz.gif

Carling Cup Quarter Final

Blackburn 0 - 1 Everton

With Rick Boult doing an excellent job at Blackburn this season, the Ewood club is revitalised and is heading deservedly back to the Premiership where their squad belongs. This, no doubt about it, was a very tricky tie for Everton as we attempted to make the semi final in this competition for the third year in a row. The match reflected that tension with both sides largely cancelling each other out in a first half midfield battle of wills. However, in the second half a more adventurous Everton side took to the field and began to dictate play a lot more. Friedel was the much busier keeper and was performing well but as the game entered the last ten minutes, Everton's extra quality up top paid dividends when the slayer of many a side, Zurawski, found himself free in the box to fire past the big American keeper. Murphy left impressed with the Blackburn side though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fair play to Rick Boult. This season he's got his arse into gear and is beginning to show a flair for spotting a player in the transfer market and a great mentality to bounce back so well from the effects of relegation. Boult's sides are always well organised so it was no surprise that this fixture was so tough. Once he adds more quality to his forward line, Rovers could be a real threat in England. No, not the car dumb ass!! Ah I give up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This year the semi final draw has been kind to Everton as we face Championship side Leeds United (3-2 conquerers of Chelsea) in the two legged semi final, with Danny King joining me in the other semi to set up a potential first big EPL Face Off Final between Everton and Birmingham. Oooh. icon_biggrin.gif

Everton 0 - 0 West Brom

Yet again Chris Morris has a lucky afternoon at Goodison Park. His goalkeeper Lobont keeping Albion in the game despite sustained Everton pressure in an outstanding performance which included a penalty save from the usually accurate Zurawski. Afterwards, a frustrated Murphy commented,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I had Lobont in my side I'd be playing Champions League football for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manchester City 0 - 2 Everton

With Manchester City just having dumped Andy Nilsen's Portsmouth out of the Carling Cup, I was expecting a test here but we destroyed City with relative ease and indeed the scoreline didn't really reflect our dominance of the game. Everton went ahead through, guess who, Zurawski in the first half and a 25 yard drive from recalled Lewandowski in the second half sealed the three points that moved Everton back into 3rd position.

Everton 2 - 3 Chelsea

Well this just shows how tight the Premiership is at the moment as this defeat saw us slip back down to 7th. Yet again I was cursing my luck against a top side as yet again (I bet you any money icon_wink.gif) the goal of the month was scored against my team. This time Adrian Mutu rifled a 35 yard curler from the right side of the pitch past Green and into the net. Feck off!! Everton rallied and equalised through Hesselink just before half time. Then in the second half, we concede from a corner - we never do - as Ballack got free in the box peeling off the defender to make it 2-1 Chelsea. Again Everton came back and in the 62nd minute, Valdo skinned Bridge just outside the area and ran in to fire past Cech to level it up again. Of course, with Green playing a 5 there was always a risk Chelsea would expose us again and this they did, 15 minutes from the end, Ballack notching again. Very very frustrating, but as a consolation, it shows how far we have travelled since 04/05 to even be competing with the big spenders.

Not bad now for the halfway point, but I really need a goalie and I don't know of any good ones, apart from feckin' Lobont. How much Chris? And in other news, has anyone seen the Fulham manager?

blackburn.gif

**Earnshaw Stars On BBC***

Blackburn Rovers and Wales international star Robert Earnshaw has been pitting his mind of the popular gameshow, A Question Of Sport. Answering all his questions correctly, he was quickly asked to become a weekly team captain ahead of that Dawson bloke but the offer was quickly turned down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes its true, i was offered the captains job on the next series of A Question Of Sport but after a quick chat with the gaffer at Ewood i turned it down </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many fans of the show believe Earnshaw would have been a very creditable captain and asked Boult to air the reasons for his discontent in his players participation on the show

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I believe Robbie needs to concentrate on his football skills rather than his acting skills. He missed a bucketful of chances last week against Everton even with that dodgy Green in goal. We as a club can't afford slip ups against smaller opposition like that every week so i asked him to politely decline the offer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

manutd.gif

IN

Luciano Zauri - RB - free transfer

Dede - LB - £24mil from Boro

Michael Rensing - Gk - £15mil from Boro

Thomas Holm - DMC - £850k from Valarenga

Antonio Cassano - FC - free transfer

Benoit Pedretti - DMC - £10mil from Marseilles

Massimo Ambrosini - DMC - £10mil from Milan

Samuel Eto'o - SC - free transfer

Julio Baptista - DMC! - £12.5mil from Sevilla

Ronaldinho - AMC - £40mil from Barcelona

Total spend: £112mil

OUT

30 or so youngsters released or sold on the cheap, totalling about £1mil. The major transfers out:

Shola Ameobi - FC - £6mil to Olympiakos

Phil Neville - ? - £2.5mil to Southampton. Cheers Rob!

Louis Saha - SC - £8mil to Dortmund

Alan Smith - FC - £11.75mil to Liverpool

Roy Carroll - Gk - £800k to Fulham

Roy Keane - DMC - £850k to Spurs

Gary Neville - RB - £1mil to Villa

Ryan Giggs - AML - £6mil to Chelsea

Klebesron - DMC - £7mil to Zaragoza

Mikael Silvestre - DC - £9mil to Juventus

My little one trick pony Cristiano Ronaldo - AMC - £21mil to Spurs

Total received: £79mil

SO a total spend of £33mil, not the £122million rubbish that some managers (yes, Murphy was one of them) have been talking about. And as you can see, the quality of those coming in far outways the players leaving. A successful summer in the transfer market.

Now to see how the assistant has been doing...

FA Carling Premiership

P[b/]24 W[b/]15 D[b/]8 L[b/]1 F[b/]47 A[b/]14 GD[b/]+33 Pts[b/]53

Far too many games have been drawn, which is why we're 5 points off Arsenal, who are top. Spurs are 3rd, 6 points behind. The defence looks very solid, apart from in the only defeat, a 3-0 home drubbing to Bolton; whether Pagi II was in charge then, or he'd already been sacked and become Pagi III at Sunderland I don't know.

League Cup[b/]

Knocked out in the 4th round, losing 1-0 away at Spurs aet

FA Cup[b/]

Through to the 4th round, where Danny's Birmingham wait to travel to Old Trafford.

Champions League[b/]

Despite getting 10 points, Ajax on 11 and Milan on 12 went through, meaning...

UEFA Cup[b/]

...a 2 legged affair against Danny's Blues in the 1st knockout round. Should be fun icon_smile.gif

So all in all the assistant didn't do as badly as I was worried about, but he certainly could've done better. Still, 3 trophies to play for, here's hoping for the treble icon_smile.gif

everton.gif

Wembeley beckons

An excellent chance now of lifting Everton's first silverware since 1984 as the Carling Cup Final beckons the merry men in blue tights. That shiny pot is callin and Murphy is keen to grab it. Carling Cup success represents Everton's last chance of winning a trophy and only Danny King or managerless Man City stand in our way as long as we do the job vs Leeds in the second leg.

Carling Cup Semi Final First Leg

Leeds United 1 - 3 Everton

Having fallen at the semi final hurdle in the previous two seasons at the hands of Charlton and Man Utd, Everton admittedly drew the long straw in the semis this season and faced Championship side Leeds United. Confident of victory after an impressive run of form we weren't disappointed, despite falling behind to a nice Leeds move after only 11 minutes. Old Evertonian Leon Osman coming back to haunt us with a lovely through ball to David Johnson to open the scoring. The lead didn't last long as on 20 minutes, a superb combination between Valdo and Reither on the right flank saw the German full back play in Alex Frei for a composed finish. 27 seconds into the second half it was two. Flamini, who has been edged out of the side by Kallstrom this season, playing a wonderful pass through to Frei to ease Everton's nerves. On 57, Everton's place in the final is practically sealed as Frei turns provider with a raking pass to Hesselink to round Lund and finish with composure. If your still in doubt Pagi as to what composure means, get a DVD of this game and watch and learn mon ami. icon_wink.gif

Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Everton

Not the start I was hoping for to the evening coming on top of the loss to Chelsea, however it did help expose a few flaws in my tactics. Middlesbrough are now managed by Alex Ferguson and he was left an impressive squad by previous incumbent Ligs before they traded places at the end of last season. Middlesbrough deserved the win, with Downing a handful in particular both goals coming from set pieces, the first a Reither og. and the second nodded home by James Beattie.

Leicester 0 - 3 Everton

After a few tweaks to the system Leicester faced an Everton backlash. After 7 minutes, Kallstrom picked out Frei who saw his shot parried to Calaio to score. Three minutes later Calaio returned the compliment, flicking on for Frei to score and just before half time Valdo's ball put in Calaio to wrap up the win.

Everton 3 - 0 Newcastle United

Poor old Newcastle have yet to recover from the Da Costa era despite bouncing back to the Premiership. An early goal put Everton in command as Kallstrom and scorer Rochemback combined with a one-two to open the scoring. On 17 a superb cross from Hysen saw Zurawski meet the ball with a great header that the keeper could only parry to Calaio to make it two. Zurawski wrapped it up with a third on 89.

Aston Villa 1 - 3 Everton

Villa in 4th, Everton in 6th at this stage and as Villa had the Indian sign over me this was a great result for Everton. We dominated the Villans for a change and managed to score from a corner when Kallstrom's drive pinball wizarded its way through past Sorensen. On 32 Valdo put Zurawski away and the Pole made no mistake and despite Villa pulling one back through Vorisek, Everton had a stroke of luck on 37 when a free kick driven in by Rochemback, deflected off the Villa defence to Valdo to score and record a win at last over Villa.

Everton 2 - 0 Q.P.R.

Routine over the struggling London side though they kept it very tight at the back. Reid with a spectacular shot and then Calaio on 81 recording another win to move us back above the re-awakened Andy Nilsen. icon_wink.gif

Everton 0 - 4 Arsenal

Lesson is do not go attacking vs Arsenal when they are top of the league. Destroyed in 45 minutes of the best football I've seen to date, it was 4-0 at HT and young Ian Turner in goal was demoralised left unprotected on 3 occasions. Took him off for the same to happen to young kasper Schmeichel to make it 4. Shut up shop in the second half to er, well, try and not lose by 9 and it was a sad day at the office. Only consolation is it makes Ligs' job even harder. icon_wink.gif

FA Cup 3rd Round

Portsmouth 1 - 0 Everton

As Andy's Pompey team have at last found their form Fratton is now a very hard place to get a result. With that in mind I decided to play for the draw with two banks of four in my own half and the intention to hit Pompey on the break. It would have worked too but for a deflected effort on goal that cost us the match. In a particularly dirty game (well Pompey were involved icon_wink.gif ) Portsmouth handled us well when we went more attacking and for the second time this season deserved their win, although we were gutted our gameplan was ruined by Nilsen's legendary luck. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif: Note I didn't use the excuse that every keeper I had was on very poor morale after the Arsenal humiliation, or did I just do that? Well played Mr Goat, its good to see you back. icon_smile.gif

Well there is a chance here of Champions League qualification, but Nilsen, Ligs, Wenger, Bouchard, Allardyce, Mourinho, Ferguson and even Bentiez would say the same, so not for the first time I'll round off by talkin sh1te and say, Everton for the ECL. Anyone? icon_wink.gif

birmingham.gif

UEFA Cup 1st Rd 1st Leg

OFK Beograd 1

Jovanovic 21

Birmingham City 3

Forssell 18 Stefanovic og 63 Hasan 77

Man of the Match: Hasen 9/10 Birmingham

Attendance-4041

Refereed by Metin Tokut

Carling Cup 2nd Rd

Birmingham City 5

Forssell 5 Suazo 16, 38 Adu 46 Euell 57

Derby 0

Sent off: Mills 49 Derby

Man of the Match: Suazo 10/10 Derby

Attendance-20864

Refereed by Keith Reed

Premiership Game 7

Chelsea 2

Cole 35 Duff 65

Birmingham City 1

Suazo 56

Man of the Match: Duff 10/10 Chelsea

Attendance-42243

Refereed by Chris Foy

UEFA Cup 1st Rd 2nd Leg

Birmingham City 1

Euell 28

OFK Beograd 1

Djordjevic 7

Man of the Match: Millicevic 8/10 OFK Beograd

Attendance-22212

Refereed by Metin Tokut

Premiership Game 8

Birmingham City 3

Hasen 45 Forssell 52 Suazo 83

Middlesbrough 1

Beattie pen 81

Man of the Match: Hasen 9/10 Birmingham

Attendance-26087

Refereed by Phil Edwards

Premiership Game 9

Leicester City 0

Birmingham City 2

Ellington 23 Brighi pen 90

Man of the Match: Emerton 9/10 Birmingham

Attendance-32468

Refereed by Mark Halsey

Premiership Game 10

Birmingham City 3

Suazo 17, 58 Forsell 53

Newcastle 0

Man of the Match: Suazo 10/10 Birmingham

Attendance-25021

Refereed by Phil Edwards

UEFA Cup Group F

Real Madrid 2

Beckham pen 32 Morientes 48

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Emerton 8/10 Birmingham

Attendance-66299

Refereed by Pierluigi Collina

Premiership Game 11

Aston Villa 0

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Cudicini 8/10 Birmingham

Attendance-42530

Refereed by Howard Webb

Carling Cup 3rd Rd

Grimsby 1

Reddy pen 25

Birmingham City 3

Janssen 2 Suazo 48 Forssell 88

Man of the Match: Izzet 10/10 Birmingham

Attendance-9896

Refereed by Barry Knight

Premiership Game 12

Birmingham City 0

Everton 1

Hesselink 52

Man of the Match: Valdo 8/10 Everton

Attendance-36965

Refereed by Peter Walton

UEFA Cup Group F

Birmingham City 4

Forssell 49 Brighi 49 Suazo 61, 67

Hearts 0

Man of the Match: Brighi 9/10 Birmingham

Attendance-33096

Refereed by Carlos Megia Davila

Premiership Game 13

Birmingham City 0

Arsenal 4

Reyes 3 Edu 16 Ljungberg 33 Chevanton 45

Man of the Match: Clichy 9/10 Arsenal

Attendance-58597

Refereed by Peter Walton

Carling Cup 3rd Rd

Birmingham City 2

Forssell 3 Eagles 113

Arsenal 1

Ljunberg 58

Man of the Match: Eagles 9/10 Birmingham

Attendance-36950

Refereed by Joe Ross

skylogo_default.gif

Birmingham chief Danny King feels a good run in the Carling cup will have a positive effect on their league form.

Brum are in the wrong half of the Premiership table and many believe securing top-flight survival is more important than an extended cup run However, the St Andrews boss feels winning matches can only be good for confidence and is looking for his charges to prove their class in their fourth second rd tie with Tottenham.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have always viewed the Carling cup as being important and said right from the start I would be playing my strongest side. It is a fantastic competition and if you can progress in it, you should try your utmost to do so.

I don't look upon it as a hindrance, if you win cup ties I think that helps your league form anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Premiership Game 14

Birmingham City 2

Euell 42 Ellington 90

Wolves 0

Man of the Match: Craddock 9/10 Wolves

Attendance-36972

Refereed by Paul Jones

UEFA Cup Group F

Genk 1

Haroun 53

Birmingham City 1

Euell 10

Man of the Match: Savage 8/10 Birmingham

Attendance-21578

Refereed by Markus Merk

Premiership Game 15

Manchester Utd 2

Cassano 45 Ambrosini 78

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Eto 10/10 Manchester Utd

Attendance-72991

Refereed by Horward Webb

Carling Cup 4th Rd

Birmingham City 2

Carter 37 Euell 65

Tottenham 1

C.Ronaldo 78

Man of the Match: McFadden 9/10 Tottenham

Attendance-34340

Refereed by Neale Barry

Premiership Game 16

Birmingham City 0

Fulham 0

Man of the Match: Savage 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-35635

Refereed by Alan Wiley

Premiership Game 17

Birmingham City 3

Forssell 1, 87 Suazo 35

Man City 1

Shaun Wright-Phillips 12

Man of the Match: Forssell 9/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-36980

Refereed by Howard Webb

Premiership Game 18

Bolton 1

Ljuboja 17

Birmingham City 1

Hasan 48

Man of the Match: Carter 10/10 Birmingham

Attendance-22122

Refereed by Uriah Rennie

UEFA Cup Group F

Birmingham City 3

Forssell 14, 25 Adu 37

Sochaux 0

Sent off: Moreau 49

Man of the Match: Izzet 10/10 Birmingham

Attendance-32011

Refereed by Lutz-Micheal Frohlich

Premiership Game 19

Birmingham City 1

Euell 55

Southampton 2

Podolski 17, 37

Man of the Match: Luis Boa Morte 10/10 Southampton

Attendance-36978

Refereed by Peter Walton

Premiership Game 18

Portsmouth 1

Sonck 15

Birmingham City 0

Sent off: Gardner 44 Birmingham City

Man of the Match: Lastuvka 9/10 Portmouth

Attendance-34488

Refereed by Rob Styles

Premiership Game 19

Sunderland 3

Morrison 7 O'Neil 30 Caulfield 56

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Kenton 8/10 Sunderland

Attendance-41942

Refereed by Graham Poll

Premiership Game 20

QPR 2

Dobie 52 Bean 55

Birmingham City 3

Suazo 25, 34, 41

Man of the Match: Suazo 10/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-19141

Refereed by Colin Palmer

Premiership Game 21

Birmingham City 2

Izzet 4, 5 Brighi missed pen 39

Liverpool 1

Olic 54

Sent off: Carragher 38 Liverpool

Attendance-36978

Refereed by Peter Walton

Premiership Game 20

Tottenham 4

C.Ronaldo 22 Guarin 59 Defoe 74 Moore 84

Birmingham City 1

Janssen 41

Sent off: Hasan 45 Gardner 90 both Birmingham City

Man of the Match: Mcfadden 10/10 Tottenham

Attendance-47417

Refereed by Mark Dixon

FA Cup 3rd Rd

Cardiff 0

Birmingham City 2

Suazo 7 Brighi 74

Man of the Match: Brighi 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-29904

Refereed by Trevor Kettle

Semi Final Carling Cup 1st Leg

Birmingham City 3

Carter 69, 90 Forssell 71

Man City 1

Macken 53

Man of the Match: Izzet 10/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-36973

Refereed by Rob Styles

Well the season going well with Birmingham City still in all 3 cups but with a double headed with Manchester Utd in the Uefa cup and FA cup I could soon find myself with only the Carling cup to play for and my only chance of a trophy this year plus a way into Europe as my league form is suffering with all these extra games I'm playing. Of late my players have been picking up yellow and red cards left, right and centre.

I have a good lead going into the Carling cup semi final but my awful away form I could still see me going out plus it looks like I will be facing one of the luckiest managers in EPL (Niall Murphy) I have noticed Everton don't play with flair and creativiety but from hard tackling and trying to break up the flow of the other team's football. A team that is in your face from the first whistle and will fight you all the way till the end for every ball and cut out every cross they can, but fair play to Niall as without a budget of say Man U (Total spend: £112 million in a couple of months says it all) teams like Everton and Bolton without the cash can't go out and spent x amount on a Ronaldinho who can fly pass players with the ball at his feet.

Carling Cup: Man City 2nd Leg Still to play

FA Cup: Man Utd 4th Rd Still to play

UEFA Cup: Man Utd 2nd Rd knock out Still to play

Players stats

Goals..

1st. Forssell 18

2nd. Suazo 16

3rd. Euell 9

4th. Adu 8

5th. Carter 5

Average Rating..

1st. Izzet 7.76

2nd. Suazo 7.67

3rd. Eagles 7.50

4th. Emerton 7.49

5th. Brighi 7.48

More to follow icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but fair play to Niall as without a budget of say Man U (Total spend: £112 million in a couple of months says it all) teams like Everton and Bolton without the cash can't go out and spent x amount on a Ronaldinho who can fly pass players with the ball at his feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This man speaks the truth. icon14.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

EPL table updated

On the Brum

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

...plus it looks like I will be facing one of the luckiest managers in EPL (Niall Murphy) I have noticed Everton don't play with flair and creativiety but from hard tackling... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This man speaks the truth. Thumbs Up Wink Razz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Premiership Game 21

Birmingham City 2

Liverpool 1

Olic 54

Attendance-36978

Refereed by Peter Walton </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boa Morte MOM and he wasnt playing for either side icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AsherDSSc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Premiership Game 21

Birmingham City 2

Liverpool 1

Olic 54

Attendance-36978

Refereed by Peter Walton </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boa Morte MOM and he wasnt playing for either side icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can say is it was late last night icon_rolleyes.gif

manutd.gif

League game 25: Man Utd 2-1 Aston Villa

United came flying out the blocks, Ambrosini (11) and Ronaldinho (14) quickly establishing a two goal lead. Villa replied quickly, Ammendolea (20) scoting after a fine counter attack. United had chances to add more goals, but no more scoring took place.

FA Cup 4th Round: Man Utd 3-0 Birmingham City

A comfortable day at the office; Birmingham may have had the 1st attack in the 2nd minute, but this turned out to be their only one of the game. Ambrosini (15), van Nistelrooy (40) and Pedretti (79) got the goals, to set up a 5th round tie at home to Coventry.

League game 26: Everton 1-2 Man Utd

The big day had finally come, it was Niall Murphy's real cup final icon_wink.gif Going into the game with 5 players away on international duty and a handful injured wasn't the ideal preparation, indeed some half-fit players had to be named on the bench, but the superior quality of the lads shone through in the end.

Everton shaded the opening encounters, but it took them half an hour before they managed a shot on target. Unfortunately, it was a deft finish from Zurawski (30) and it beat Rensing, sending Everton fans and over-excitable staff into a frenzy. But United didn't panic, and after a rash challenge in the box from Boumsong on Cassano had been penalised, van Nistelrooy (42 pen) made no mistake from the spot. 1-1 at the break.

The 2nd half saw Everton come out looking to regain the lead; despite only creating 1 shot on target, they were on top, so a quick tactical tweak was needed. Soon after a wonderful passing move saw Ronaldinho find van der Vaart (65) who finished calmly to put the visitors ahead. Immediately after Rensing pulled of a good double save, but as Everton went looking for the equaliser, bringing on Frei and Vennegor of Hesselink, United actually looked more comfortable, and saw out the final 15 minutes with relative ease. A close game, but the victory was just abut deserved, although as ever Murphy was moaning afterwards about his luck. Change the record Niall icon_razz.gif

League game 27: Man Utd 3-1 Arsenal

This was the big one, a win at all costs match. 5 points behind before the game, defeat would've seen Arsenal take an almost uncatchable position at the top.

United were the better side throughout, but fell behind to a swift Arsenal counter attack, Henry marauding down the left wing to find Chevanton (30), who made no mistake. United then moved to a slightly more defensive formation, and it did the trick. Looking more solid, it gave the attackers greater freedom, especially Ronaldinho (45, 71), whose two goals changed the game. Both were pieces of individual magic, the 2nd up there with Dalian Atkinson's goal at Wimbledon as the greatest ever Premiership goal icon_smile.gif 3 minutes later and the Brazilian turned provider, Eto'o (74) finishing the game off, meaning the title race was still on.

skylogo_default.gif

The first major final in season 3 brings together the old war horse of EPL Niall "luck of the Irish" Murphy and new boy Danny "that was never a penalty" King in what could be one of the greatest Carling cup finals of recent years.

In a pre match interview Danny King has stated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This will be a hard game for me and my lads but hopefully with a bit of luck and a good performance on the day we can get the right result that the fans and Birmingham City as a whole can be proud off. Everton will be a hard team to beat but on our day Birmingham City can get a result against any team in England. I'm sure Niall Murphy will be playing his mind game in the lead up to the game but that's water of a ducks back to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As yet Sky Sports has been unable to get an interview from Mr Murphy but we are sure its only a matter of time before one of the most out spoken managers in the premiership speaks out.

Odds (Total Bet) Everton 5-4(Fav) Draw 11-5 Birmingham City 7-4

birmingham.gif

Birmingham City's route to Wembley

Birmingham City 5-0 Derby 2nd Rd

Grimsby 1-3 Birmingham City 3rd Rd

Birmingham City 2-1 Arsenal 4th Rd

Birmingham City 2-1 Tottenham Qtr Final

Birmingham City 3-1 Man City Semi Final 1st Leg

Man City 0-3 Birmingham City Semi Final 2nd Leg

Head to Head against Everton

Played 3 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 1 Goals for 3 Goals against 3

everton.gif

Everton's route to Wembley

Everton 3-0 Chartlon 2nd Rd

Everton 2-1 Southampton 3rd Rd

Everton 2-0 Leicester City 4th Rd

Blackburn 0-1 Everton Qtr Final

Leeds 1-3 Everton Semi Final 1st Leg

Everton 1-0 Leeds Semi Final 2nd Leg

Head to Head against Birmingham City

Played 3 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 1 Goals for 3 Goals against 3

everton.gif

Everton 1 - 2 Manchester United

A home game to Liggins' Manchester United recently dumped from the Champions League at a very early stage despite spending money that even Roman Abramovich and Bill Gates would think twice about before signing the check. Despite Ligs paying the price for his decision to sign a number of Africans who go off to play in their continental championship every two years, United still had players like Baptista, Cassano, Rooney, Van Der Vaart and Van Nistelrooy, so to put it bluntly Liggins' team was one of the strongest any team in Europe could put out on a given day.

After the match, Murphy left unimpressed by United as his side went down undeservedly to their much richer opponents which was the cause of much pride to the Everton manger. With Liggins still preferring the 4-2-3-1, Everton were able to negate the red side of Manchester quite easily by placing Tomas Sivok in the Defensive Midfield position, and instructing him to run back and fill in the gaps left by the two centre halfs.

After this Everton took the lead through Zurawski, and held onto that lead with ease until Van Nistelrooy took one of his legendary dives in the box, conning the referee into awarding a penalty against the innocent and bemused Jean Alain Boumsong. The cheat converted and the man they call "Lucky Ligs" was in ecstasy, writhing along the touchline as if he was Patrick Swaze performing a routine in Dirty Dancing. After this, the game was a stalemate as Everton struggled to recover from the decisions of the Man U sponsored referee. Late on, Utd put together one move of quality which won them the game but afterwards Murphy commented,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well, we have just played the biggest spenders the EPL has seen for quite some time and there was no noticeable difference in quality on the pitch. Indeed without the intervention of the referee, we probably would have taken the three points as United would have grown even more desperate. I have to give my lads credit for handling a team with that reputation so easily, but at the end of the day the only reason we lost is that in the end, United's superior players managed to put together one move of genuine quality. There is a definite weakness in their side though when the opposition has a third man covering the defenders. I saw little imagination after Sivok snuffed out the threat of Cassano's attacking runs. But congratulations to Liggins, if he can live with himself managing Man U, he's a stronger character than I gave him credit for. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fulham 0 - 0 Everton

Well with the manager of Fulham, Mo Ilyas, still lost on a safari trip hunting wild elephants his side managed to do what it does every week in the Premiership. That is keep a clean sheet despite being dominated from start to finish by a superior team. Carroll in goal having another outstanding game as the spoils were shared and Everton remain in 4th place with 27 games played.

The Carling Cup Final

After a 1-0 home win against Leeds in the second leg completed a 4-1 aggregate victory in the tie, Everton progressed to the Carling Cup Final and will "face off" against Danny King's Birmingham City at Wembley on the 25th February. This is an eagerly anticipated final between two of EPL's youngest and most promising managers as their relatively small teams in Premiership terms have the chance to bring some glory back to their respective cities.

Not wanting to disappoint his fans icon_wink.gif, speaking ahead of the final Murphy stated,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are delighted to have reached our first major cup final since 1995 and having already beaten Danny King's Birmingham at St Andrew's this season we approach the final with confidence and in high spirits. We're 4th in the Premiership as well and I think people are starting to take us seriously as a force in England, even if financial restraints prevent us from challenging most of the clubs for the top players. However, these finals are all about how players perform on the day, whose nerve holds and King's Birmingham are a good side and will be going out to win the game. On the day, this final could go either way, but we're going to make sure that the fans who come will see a committed Everton side who want to take the trophy back to Merseyside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Up the Toffees!!

everton.gif

Murphy brings home the silverware

Everton fans were celebrating late into the night as their manager who is becoming known on Merseyside as the "Mecurial Murphy" icon_wink.gif has fulfilled the first stage of his promise to Evertonians and started bringing home the silverware. Victory in the Carling Cup Final over Danny King's Birmingham provides Everton with guaranteed entry into next seasons UEFA Cup competition although with the club currently in 4th place, hopes are high that Everton can go on to smash all expectations this season by delivering not only a shiny trophy, but a place at the table of European football's elite in next seasons Champions League. Time will tell whether this is attainable as the competition from Chelsea, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur for the final two places behind Arsenal and Manchester United is intense.

The Carling Cup Final: Wembley: 25th February 2007

Everton 1 - 0 Birmingham

Well the day finally arrived and Everton walked onto the pitch having enjoyed a two week break from competitive football. The entire squad (with the exception of the injured Alex Frei) was in tip top condition, morale was high and the players were raring to go. Murphy's first trophy winning team therefore will go down in history as:

GK: Robert Green

RB: Sascha Reither

LB: Aaron Huges

CB: Jean-Alain Boumsong

CB: Joseph Yobo

CM: Tomas Sivok

CM: Kim Kallstrom

RM: Valdo

LM: Tobias Hysen

CF: Emmanuelle Calaio

CF: Maciej Zurawski

S1: Ahemd Madouni

S2: Mattieu Flamini

S3: David Thompson

S4: Jean Vennigor of Hesselink

S5: Ian Turner

Birmingham of course were always going to be difficult opponents as Danny King has proved to be inspirational at times in the second city. With Murphy and King having a "previous" of three very tight games, registering a victory each and one draw it was really always going to be down to which side's players wanted it more on the day. In the opening 15 minutes that side was Everton as the Toffees came out looking for an early opener. Birmingham though remained resolute in defence and with Carlo Cudicini looking in good form early on, Murphy was soon to become the edgy coach as Birmingham, particularly through the ever dangerous Suazao, began to come into the game. However, Everton's defence, superbly marshalled by Yobo and Boumsong were keeping Birmingham at arms length and forcing Izzet and co into shooting from range. Everton came back but at HT a tight game remained scoreless at 0-0.

The second half followed much the same pattern. Birmingham were having a go but were not troubling Green in the Everton goal whereas Everton, when they did break through, either squandered chances or were denied by super keeping by Cudicini. As time ticked on both managers began to look to their bench and there Murphy knows he has a gem in his squad in Matthieu Flamini. With Kim Kallstrom's influence on the game never truly established in a tight midfield, with 15 minutes or so to go Murphy took the plunge and substituted the Swedish international for the young Frenchman he signed from Arsenal. And as the game edged towards extra time, we entered the 92nd minute as Flamini took control of the ball just outside the box. Moving into a shooting position, Flamini hit an unstoppable shot that finally flew past Cudicini and into the back of the Birmingham net. icon_biggrin.gif The Everton bench and fans erupted in joy as the Birmingham coach slumped in his seat, cursing his luck at conceding at such a cruel time. With barely seconds remaining, Birmingham were gone and when the whistle blew, the Carling Cup was heading to Merseyside after a tight but exciting contest for both managers involved. Afterwards, Murphy spoke of his joy to the BBC:

Could you sum up how you're feeling right now

I'm absolutely delighted to win the Carling Cup and to deliver a piece of silverware for the long suffering Everton fans. I've been rebuilding the team for three seasons now and the Carling Cup has always been one of our highest priorities as it offers immediate European qualification. Having got so close in the past two seasons its great to be standing here today with this lovely piece of silverware. This makes it all worthwhile.

You left it late though, did you think the chance was gone?

Yeah, we left it very late and although on the day we have come away with the win, I want to pay credit to Danny King's Birmingham team who put up a tremendous fight for the trophy. It really was a cruel blow to them to lose to such a late goal but I think on the day if anyone asked who the better side was today, I'm sure King would agree that Everton deserved their success. However, I wish King all the best for the rest of the season. He's a talented manager.

And the plans for the future?

Well we have a number of new players already committed to joining the club in the summer, including Andreas Isakkson which I'm very excited about. For Everton, we'll be trying to take a further step forward next season and hopefully we'll make a good impression on the European scene once again. We must remember though, that until Everton's finances are sorted that qualifying for Europe and winning a cup is a great achievement. Lets hope the board gets the scheckles out!!

Back to the Premiership and after a 2-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park, we then travelled to Southampton and in one of our best performances of the season, destroyed Steel's Saints 4-1 with Emmanuelle Calaio wrapping up a hat trick. This game was effectively over at half time. Then after the Carling Cup Final it was the return of Nilsen to Goodison as I welcomed my old foe Andy to my ground for a change. icon_razz.gif

Everton 1 - 1 Portsmouth

With Everton minds still on the Carling Cup win, it was a struggle to motivate the lads for the visit of mid- table Portsmouth although to the managers this is always a big game in the football season. All in all, this was a very even game with both sides creating a lot of chances and indeed as per usual, Nilsen was able to rely upon a 10 rating performance from his goalkeeper until the 86th minute. Portsmouth took the lead early in the second half and were playing some nice stuff, but once again Everton were not go down without a fight. As Everton took control in the last 10 minutes, the equaliser arrived with around four minutes left through, yep Flamini once again who is now challenging Kallstrom to get that central midfield place back. A point each on this occasion as Nilsen escapes back to the South Coast with his pride intact. icon_wink.gif

2006/07 Latest Table

manutd.gif

League game 28: Wolves 0-3 Man Utd

From the moment Lee Naylor was sent off for kicking Rooney off the ball just before half time, this was simply a question of how many, as United looked to boost their goal difference. Rooney (45), van der Vaart (57) and Ambrosini (79) got the goals.

League game 29: Man Utd 9-0 QPR

This was looking like it'd be a convincing win even before QPR had Padula sent off for a proffesional foul after 25 minutes. The goalscorers were: Cassano (1), van Nistelrooy (12, 27 & 47), Julio Baptista (35, 42 & 50) , Eto'o (69) and Rooney (76). Van der Vaart chipped in with 4 assists. A great result, keeping the pressure on Arsenal and very useful for the goal difference.

UEFA Cup 1st knockout round 1st leg: Birmingham City 1-1 Man Utd

In some ways we were lucky, in others we were very unlucky not to win. In a game we dominated, Birmingham could've gone ahead n the stroke of half time, but Savage struck the post with his penalty. Platt (80) struck a stunning shot, Blues' first on target all game, to put the home side ahead, but just when thoughts of an upset were entering Danny King's mind, Julio Baptista (85) powered one home to give Man Utd the advantage going into the second leg.

UEFA Cup 1st knockout round 2nd leg: Man Utd 3-0 Birmingham City

A comfortable game, against a weakened Blues side who had both eyes on Sunday's league cup final (which they were very unlucky to lose, I should add.) Van Nistelrooy (18) and van der Vaart (29, 41) with the goals. The second half saw United stay in 1st gear, which suited both teams, who were both trying to rest their players for the coming busy schedule.

FA Cup 5th round: Man Utd 2-0 Coventry

Some of the fringe players were given the chance to impress today, as many of the stars were rested. After a goalless 1st half, Richardson (52) curled home a beautiful 25 yarder, taking this rare opportunity to impress his boss. Julio Baptista (82) added the second late on to quell any thoughts of a Coventry comeback.

League game 30: Man Utd 3-0 Fulham

In the end a comfortable win, although at one stage it looked like miserly Fulham might well keep a clean sheet. Julio Baptista (51) got United on their way, finally beating Carroll, Cassano (64) and Eto'o (84) making the score more reflective of the game.

UEFA Cup 2nd knockout round 1st leg: Man Utd 4-1 Feyenoord

Despite Ono (9) giving the visitors an early lead, Eto'o (15), Ronaldinho (46, 50) and van der Vaart (82) gave United a comfortable win, and a scoreline which should be enough aleardy to see them through to the quarter finals.

The treble is still on:

In the Premiership we're just 2 points off Arsenal, but they just don't seem to drop any points. Our goal difference is superior to theirs, and it's so close that it really could be decided on that this season. But with 8 games to go, if they win them all they win the league, it's in their hands.

In the FA Cup a quarter final home tie against Chelsea will be tough, but having done the double over them already this season we should be confident of the win.

In the UEFA Cup the 2nd leg against Feyenoord shouldn't be too tricky, and so a place in the last 8 should be ours. But with Inter and either Real or Spurs still left in the competition, winning the competition won't be easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ligs:

In some ways we were lucky </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm that yes, you were very lucky to get away with a draw in this one.

Nicolas, I now have the game back to host. If you want to join the game (it will have to be a trial I'm afraid because of the reasons I gave you on the EPL Forum) then feel free to join the MIRC chatroom on Thursday evening 7pm. Anyone who is willing to enter game banter and contribute to the thread regularly is very welcome. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ligs:

I can confirm that yes, you were very lucky to get away with a draw in this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how can you confirm this? You weren't, shock horror, breaking the rules and viewing the game were you? icon_eek.gif

Still I suppose you'd know best, you wrote the book on luck icon_wink.gif

Nic_B has a dig at me, and all of a sudden he's welcome. Your as subtle as an elephant Niall icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ligs you shouldn't be so paranoid. Nick he seems to know what he's talking about which is a good start. icon_wink.gif

Plus he talks a good game, I'm sure we will enjoy attempting to take him down a peg or two. icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

I can confirm that yes, you were very lucky to get away with a draw in this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how can you confirm this? You weren't, shock horror, breaking the rules and viewing the game were you? icon_eek.gif

Still I suppose you'd know best, you wrote the book on luck icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only direct you back to your similar, though inaccurate, whinge on the Carling Cup Final. icon_wink.gif

sunderland.gif

Has the Black Cats luck changed?

Errr well no, there still sh!#, but survival is the name of the game at this late stage of the Premiership season, and as long as that is achieved I can see a bright future ahead as the start of next season will see alot of new faces arrive at the club

We are currently level on points with 18th placed Wolves, and there is only 2 points separating, QPR at the foot of the table and us in 17th so at this moment any one of the bottom four could go down the trap door. My ex club Bolton are the team directly above us, but there safe(thank god) or I could have the unenviable tag of the first manager to get 2 teams relegated in the same season. icon_eek.gif

My time at Bolton was an interesting one if not partically successful, the positive notes on the pitch were a league cup semi-final appearance, and a 9th placed finish.(without a disastrous last 2 games of the season it could have easily have been better) Off the pitch I stabilised the club's *****y financial state, (from 5m in the red to 20m in the black) persuaded "world stars" to ply their trade at the Reebok, Mansiz, Juninho, Aruna, Pienaar and Peralta to name but a few. and insisted on an attractive style of football, but at the end of the day I think my over eating at the bosman banquet cost me my job, as all those signings just couldn't speak to each other, let alone gel as a unit. If I'm honest I'm still a little bitter about my sacking, as at the time of getting the elbow I had just lost a game at home to Fulham, which even by Mo's reckoning I never deserved a defeat, cheers Mo icon_frown.gif, and was only 6 points off where the board and fans anticipated the club being at the start of the season, but as Bruno N'Gotty explained as I cleared my desk for the final time....Cest La Vie

Anyway enough about that, he's the crap i've been serving up at Sunderland, damn it I'm good icon_cool.gif

Sunderland 1-0 Spurs

Saints 1-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-0 WBA

Sunderland 1-2 Pompey

Sunderland 1-0 Ipswich

QPR 1-0 Sunderland

Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland

At this time I'm just praying we don't get relegated, which isn't easy when your assistant decides to sell your one and only goalie for a poultry 1mill angryfire.gif

birmingham.gif

TO MANY GAME'S FINALLY TAKE THERE TOLL ON BIRMINGHAM CITY TREBLE BID

Yes after my last report Birmingham City was gunning for the treble via the Carling cup, Uefa cup and FA cup. I know the chance's of winning the lot was at best a very long shot as the draw hadn't been kind to me, drawing Manchester United in the FA cup and Uefa cup, a team filled with some much class that even with Alan Ball as there manager they would win premiership by without losing a game icon_wink.gif

I think with the size of the squad I had the games took there toll on the players with playing 8 intertoto games before I even got into Europe and a good Carling cup run which saw the games rack up. In the build up to the Carling cup final Birmingham City had played 5 games to Everton 2 and it seemed I was playing twice a week most of the season.

Well enough moaning here some of my latest results icon_frown.gif

Premiership Game 25

Birmingham City 1

Izzet 35

W.B.A 1

Koumas 65

Man of the Match: Koumas 8/10 W.B.A

Attendance-36988

Refereed by Howard Webb

FA Cup 4th Rd

Man Utd 3

Ambrosini 15 Nistelrooy 40 Pedretti 79

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Ronaldinho 10/10 Man Utd

Attendance-74394

Refereed by Andy Rose

Had the first chance in this game but apart from that it was all Manchester United.

Carling Cup semi final 2nd leg

Man City 0

Birmingham City 3

Brighi 35 Duffy 71 Suazo 80

Man of the Match: Suazo 9/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-47999

Refereed by Barry Knight

Premiership Game 26

Birmingham City 3

Suazo 81, 85 and 87

Chelsea 2

Zonneveld 37 Johnson 90

Man of the Match: Suazo 10/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-36916

Refereed by Mark Halsey

Premiership Game 27

Middlesbrough 3

Charisteas 4 Mendieta pen 59 Matusovic 74

Birmingham City 1

Varela 70

Man of the Match: Morgan De Sanctis 9/10 Middlesbrough

Attendance-40297

Refereed by Mark Clattenburg

Premiership Game 28

Birmingham City 0

Leicester 0

Man of the Match: Cudicini 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-36963

Refereed by Mark Dixon

Premiership Game 29

Birmingham City 0

Leicester 0

Man of the Match: Cudicini 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-36963

Refereed by Mark Dixon

UEFA Cup 1st Rd Knockout 1st leg

Birmingham City 1

Platt 80 (Savage missed pen 45)

Man Utd 1

Baptista 85

Man of the Match: Cudicini 9/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-36970

Refereed by Dick Jol

I went into this game with a game plan of defending and hitting Ligs all star team on the break. Well to be honest I should have won this game as my plan worked a treat but Savage missed a pen which would have put us 2-0 up with 10 mins to play but they don't call him Lucky Ligs for nothing you know icon_wink.gif

Premiership Game 30

Man City 2

Brown 5 Locatell 14

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: emerton 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-47965

Refereed by Dermot Gallagher

UEFA Cup 1st Rd Knockout 2nd leg

Man Utd 3

Nistelrooy 8 Van der Vaart 29, 41

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Van der Vaart 10/10 Man Utd

Attendance-72944

Refereed by Roelof Luinge

Well with the Carling cup final only a few days away I put out my 2nd team and got the result that you would expect.

Carling Cup Final

Everton 1

Flamini 90 icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Valdo 9/10 Everton

Attendance-89972

Refereed by Rob Styles

Well what a kick in the teeth to lose a final with the last kick of the ball. I had no time to go all out attack or even to blink after the goal as ref Rob Styles had blown his whistle. If I'm honest (which I always am icon_wink.gif) Everton was the better team in the final and Niall "luck of the Irish" Murphy had picked his team and got his tactics just right. Can't remember to much about the game as afterward's I needed a few drinks to settle the nerves but what I do remember was Everton defending well as they always do against me and all that my team could do was to hit long shots which didn't even hit the target. Suazo had my best chance but header just wide of the post.

The post match interview King said

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The game never lived up to its billing as great final and I didn't get the result I wanted but I will fight on and hopefully there will be many finals in Birmingham City future with me as there manager.

I would like to thank the fans and board for there support this season and tell them I will be working hard to turn things around at Birmingham City </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

King also had a few comments about Niall Murphy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would like to say well done to Niall on his first trophy as Everton manager. On the day his team played better than mine and was good for the win. I'm sure this is only the first step towards a long a successful era under Mr. Murphy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Premiership Game 31

Newcastle 5

Guy 35 Kluivert 47 Ezquerro 58 Van Bommel 89 Braaten 90

Birmingham City 0

Man of the Match: Van Bommell 10/10 Newcastle

Attendance-49897

Refereed by Mark Clattenburg

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

More to follow soon icon_wink.gif

P.S I never seen a website be updated so fast after a final in my life. I don't know if it had anything to do with Niall winning the cup but I'm sure he always updating the website that fast when there is any other news icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

Birmingham City 1

Man Utd 1

Baptista 85

Attendance-36970

Refereed by Dick Jol

I went into this game with a game plan of defending and hitting Ligs all star team on the break. Well to be honest I should have won this game as my plan worked a treat but Savage missed a pen which would have put us 2-0 up with 10 mins to play but they don't call him Lucky Ligs for nothing you know icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the fact that Cudicini was man of the match, because of the countless number of brilliant saves he had to make, shows how the game really panned out.

P.S I never seen a website be updated so fast after a final in my life. I don't know if it had anything to do with Niall winning the cup but I'm sure he always updating the website that fast when there is any other news icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally unfounded allegation there. icon_biggrin.gif

Birmingham City 1

Man Utd 1

Baptista 85

Attendance-36970

Refereed by Dick Jol

I went into this game with a game plan of defending and hitting Ligs all star team on the break. Well to be honest I should have won this game as my plan worked a treat but Savage missed a pen which would have put us 2-0 up with 10 mins to play but they don't call him Lucky Ligs for nothing you know icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the fact that Cudicini was man of the match, because of the countless number of brilliant saves he had to make, shows how the game really panned out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a serious note, the goalkeeper ratings are a bit fecked on the game as saving a few long rangers that your grandad would hit seems to guarantee a good rating. It isn't based on qulaity of save in relation to chance created or anything like that. Having watched that game (oops) Utd definitely shaded the luck. I thought Danny played it right with the midfielder running back and United created nothing much in response. I think the weak link in the 4-2-3-1 has been found, only issue is the players at your disposal obviously make it even harder for the rest of us to get what managerial talent would merit. icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't say I "created nothing much." 16 shots, 10 on target and by no means were they all long rangers. Danny had one wonder shot by Platt, a missed penalty, and one other shot (off target) in the whole game.

Anyway, enough nit-picking, the ratings are a bit biased in terms of certain stats. If a player goes on 10+ runs they're guarenteed a 9, 8 at the least. In the 1st half in my game v Fulham, Ronaldinho had 18 runs, not creating a great deal, but had a 10.

And Niall, watching other peoples' games, playing games on extended highlights...are there any rules you don't break? icon_wink.gif

I wouldn't say I "created nothing much." 16 shots, 10 on target and by no means were they all long rangers. Danny had one wonder shot by Platt, a missed penalty, and one other shot (off target) in the whole game.

Anyway, enough nit-picking, the ratings are a bit biased in terms of certain stats. If a player goes on 10+ runs they're guarenteed a 9, 8 at the least. In the 1st half in my game v Fulham, Ronaldinho had 18 runs, not creating a great deal, but had a 10.

And Niall, watching other peoples' games, playing games on extended highlights...are there any rules you don't break? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's irrelevant to the point I was making about goalkeepers Ligs. And on the highlights, the rule is more that players aren't rushed to finish games as it is crucial to success, particularly in FM.

And at least there isn't a 6 page thread about the brilliance of my "dodgy" 4-2-3-1 tactic on the tactics forum. icon_razz.gif

And Niall, watching other peoples' games, playing games on extended highlights...are there any rules you don't break? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually just re-read your point on stats and I took it up wrong. Apologies. I thought you were still arguing the keeper point after my eloquent explanation. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, the stats can be misleading. The amount of times Green has got MOM for me yet all he has done is pick up a few back passes is unbelieveable.

I think we agree the ratings can sometimes be taken with a pinch of salt unless it's Lobont or Goat's keeper when he plays Everton. icon_wink.gif

Actually just re-read your point on stats and I took it up wrong. Apologies. I thought you were still arguing the keeper point after my eloquent explanation. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, the stats can be misleading. The amount of times Green has got MOM for me yet all he has done is pick up a few back passes is unbelieveable.

I think we agree the ratings can sometimes be taken with a pinch of salt unless it's Lobont or Goat's keeper when he plays Everton. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, he didn't actually pick up the back passes cos that would be a free kick, before someone nit-picks. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

everton.gif

Fight to the death for the last Champions League qualifying spot

With only a couple of league games remaining and as Andy Nilsen's Portsmouth were only able to take a point at St Mary's late last night, it looks as if one of three teams will join Arsenal, Man Utd and Tottenham in the Champions League next season. They are Aston Villa who sit 4th, Everton in 5th and Chelsea in 6th. Ominously for Evertonians, we still have to travel to Stamford Bridge where we have failed to take anything so far against the Londoners whose season has been disappointing in comparison to the past two years. The outgoing champions will provide, along with Alex Ferguson's Middlesbrough, a stern test of character as we aim for the perfect end to a great season for Murphy's men.

Sunderland 1 - 1 Everton

The quest faltered through a couple of set backs in what is quite a tricky run in for Everton. It began with a visit to David Pagi's Sunderland as Mr P fights to keep his new side in the Premiership before he can begin to stamp his class on the Mackems. In what appeared to be a routine day, Everton went ahead and were in complete charge of the game as the Stadium of Light could only sit and admire the progress made by Everton since Murphy's last visit in 2004/05. icon_cool.gif However, Pagi was not going down easily as always and with an inspired move he caught Murphy on the hop, coasting complacently, by engineering the change that enabled Drulovic to rifle home a late equaliser which dented the Toffee's ambitions and was a massive point for Sunderland.

Everton 5 - 0 Birmingham City

Danny King was soon on the agenda again for Everton in an early rematch of this seasons Carling Cup Final. With Birmingham having gone into freefall in previous weeks, Everton were confident of completing a treble of victories over the Blues this season. However, I didn't expect the win to be in such a comprehensive manner as Everton took Birmingham apart in a clinical display that was harsh on King's men who appeared to suffer from a discipline problem in this game. After a tight opening 30 minutes, it took another wonder goal from Matthieu Flamini ("The Wizard of Wembley") icon_wink.gif to open the scoring with a superb shot from distance. In the second half though, Birmingham crumbled after Tobias Hysen made it 2-0, having a man dismissed. Everton ran amok racking up three further goals to run out 5-0 winners. A dark day at the office for Danny King today but his side will be back again next season boosted by several good signings I am sure.

Everton 2 - 0 Tottenham Hotspur

Sam's Tottenham in third place and Everton in fourth looking to close the gap as Spurs are far closer to us than the managers pipedream that he's at Arsenal's level at the minute. icon_wink.gif This game was one of the highlights of the season for me as I watched the Toffees rip Spurs apart for 90 minutes despite seeing the man known as "Butcher Bouchard" instruct his team to take out both my strikers. With the game at 0-0, Spurs' pack of bloodthirsty hounds at the back first took out Emmanuelle Calaio. Despite this, Everton continued to dominate and took a deserved lead through substitute Alex Frei. A few moments later, Spurs decided that if they also took out Zurawski they might have a chance of getting back into the game, so the Pole was also stretchered off after a rendezvous with King's studs.

Moving to a 4-5-1 and bringing on Sorriano to bolster the midfield, Everton just continued to boss the game leaving Sam frustrated on the sidelines. A great performance with added satisfaction from Bouchard talking up Cristiano "Even Henry copies his tricks" icon_confused.gif Ronaldo before the match. This being the same Ronaldo who didn't get a kick the whole game as Tomas Sivok put the spotty one in his place. icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Still its been a good season once again for Spurs and we wish Bouchard all the best of luck in his forthcoming day out at Wembley in the FA Cup Final.

West Brom 1 - 2 Everton

With Chris Morris absent at the minute after a house move, his side has suffered without him and sit in a false position in the league table. Always a tricky tie I was delighted to come away with three points from this match as Kallstrom and Frei sealed our first win over Albion and also continued our unbeaten record at the Hawthorns.

Liverpool 1 - 0 Everton

A closely contested Merseyside derby where once again I think I paid for the inexperience of Ian Turner, who was unable to stop the one Liverpool move of quality that saw Le Tallac put away a good goal with a clinical finish. As always it was a blood and thunder derby with a similar amount of chances created by both sides. Very unlucky not to get a point out of this one.

Everton 1 - 1 Manchester City

The visit of Manchester City and the way the game panned out seemed to be pointing towards narrow failure on the agenda for Everton. With Andy Nilsen spotted in the crowd clutching a bible and a set of rosary beeds, praying profusely for a Man City victory to keep Portsmouth's very slim chances of sneaking into 4th alive, I couldn't fail to notice my managerial guest from the south coast running around his private box pretending to be an aeroplane - when Nicolas Anelka pounced with a style that is unique to the Frenchman. With his City career drawing to a close and as Anelka prepares to join King's merry Band of Brummies next season, he left one last mark on Goodison Park as a City player by firing home an unstoppable shot that gave City the lead against the run of play. Everton continued to mount the pressure as defeat looked on the cards but finishing was erratic and Nicky Weaver was proving to be outstanding in the City goal. However, just as Nilsen smugly stood up preparing to leave the ground thinking the job was done, Kim Kallstrom pounced with the leveller to salvage a point for Everton from a game we dominated but came so close to losing. And as the ball hit the net, the Merseyside crowd sang in full voice, "Sit down Nilsen, sit down Nilsen. Champions League, you're having a larf." icon_biggrin.gif

manutd.gif

UEFA Cup 2nd knockout round 2nd leg: Feyenoord 1-4 Man Utd

Despite setting out with a slightly more defensive attitude, Ronaldinho hitting the post after just 13 seconds set the tone for the first half. Cassano (10) and Ronaldinho (13, 15, pen 28) scored with the first 4 shots on target, as Feyenoord keeper Babos was in a very charitable mood. Buffel (40) cracked in a 25 yard curler.

8-2 on aggregate, through to a quarter final against Sporting Lisbon.

League game 31: Bolton 0-1 Man Utd

A Lancashire derby, and a difficult trip to the Reebok. The 3 points were won in the end, although not without difficulty. Bolton were the better side, but just as in the Everton away match, one quality move was enough to win it, van der Vaart (65) with the finish. A crucial win.

FA Cup quarter final: Man Utd 4-0 Chelsea

The assistant had managed to do the double over an underacheiving Chelsea side in the league, so confidence was high for this game. Not the teams' best performance of the season, but quality finishing again was the difference. Pedretti (7), Eto'o (28), Ronaldinho (48) and Fletcher (63) got the goals that set up a semi final tie with Andy Nilsen's Portsmouth.

League game 32: Man Utd 4-0 Southampton

With speculation over absent manager Rob Steel's future unsettling the side, United took full advantage with a comfortable win, Ronaldinho (3), Pedretti (37), a wonder goal by Eto'o (48) and a deflected free kick from van der Vaart (83) scoring to keep United top, after Arsenal's slip up at Fratton Park.

UEFA Cup quarter final 1st leg: Man Utd 3-0 Sporting

Eto'o (27, 48) and Cassano (38) scoring to make the 2nd leg a comfortable affair.

UEFA Cup quarter final 2nd leg:Sporting 0-2 Man Utd

A good victory to set up a semi final clash against WBA, van Nistelrooy (15, pen 45) scoring against an overly physical Sporting team, who had 9 yellow cards and 1 red during the match.

League game 33: Man Utd 9-0 Sunderland

No Pagi III please, sack your assistant. The problems with selling your only keeper reared their ugly head today, as the youth team stand-in had a mare. 16 shots on target, 9 goals scored. Eto'o (9, 26), van der Vaart (37), Cassano (40, 48, 61), Ronaldinho (42, 45) and van Nistelrooy (71) with the goals on an afternoon to forget for Pagi III, who wished he's been out of the light with Si Saunders than at Old Trafford.

FA Cup semi final: Portsmouth 0-2 Man Utd

This was one of the closest games of the season, as Nilsen's men matched United all over the park. United had had the more chances, but Portsmouth had had the more dangerous ones, Santana firing straight at Rensing was the best chance of the half. But just as the commentators were saying what a fascinating battle this game was, Rob Styles once again reared his ugly head, sending off Mascherano on the hour for a second bookable offence. This swung the game in United's favour, and two brilliant finishes from Eto'o (84, 90) settled the tie.

Hard luck to Nilsen, who'll no doubt be planning revenge in the forthcoming league game.

League game 34: Birmingham 1-4 Man Utd

A performance similar to the UEFA Cup away game, but this time United took their chances. Van Nistelrooy (12) and Julio Baptista (17) put United 2 up, before Izzet (33) capitalised on some hesitant defending to cut the arrears. But Chivu (44) and Fletcher (70) grabbed one each to help United run out comfortable winners.

UEFA Cup semi final 1st leg: Man Utd 5-0 WBA

A terrific win, helped by 3 goals in the last 15 minutes, which makes the 2nd leg a mere formality. Ambrosini (39), van Nistelrooy (45), Melchiot (76), Cassano (83) and Eto'o (87) getting on the scoresheet.

League game 35: Man Utd 2-2 Liverpool

Despite seeing his side fluke a draw in this game, Rafa Benitez was still sacked after the match.

Evetything was seemingly going to plan, Eto'o (18) tapping home from close range to put United ahead, but with their first attack, Cisse (29) equalised with a wondergoal, firing home from 30 yards after picking the ball up inside his own half. Even more unbelievably, despite more United pressure, Liverpool took the lead: Luis Garcia (pen 44) scoring from the spot after Ferdinand was adjugded to have fouled Cisse. Liverpool had only ventured out of their own half on two occasions, and each time they'd got a goal.

The second half saw United get increasingly frustrated, the last 20 minutes seeing the play a 2-4-4 formation, desperately trying to get something from a game they'd dominated. Thankfully, after being felled in the box by Josemi, van Nistelrooy (pen 87) levelled matters. And despite yet more pressure, Liverpool held on: 2 crucial points dropped.

That sets things up rather nicely in the league. Arsenal are 1 point behind, having played a game more, but should win their remaining two fixtures. To win the league, I need 5 points from Spurs (A), Portsmouth (A) and WBA (H). This title will go right down to the wire.

In the UEFA Cup, barring a major fukk up, a final against either Real Madrid or Inter Milan awaits. Whoever we play it'll will be very tricky.

And in the FA Cup.......

skylogo_default.gif

Richard Liggins today spoke ahead of his teams FA Cup final meeting with Tottenham Hotspur:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It's the final the neutrals wanted, two teams who play exhillarating football, and who aren't afraid to attack. I has the making of being one of the most open cup finals in history. Spurs are a great side and are on a brilliant run in the league, closing the gap between ourselves and Arsenal right up. If there were an extra 5 games this season, they may well have won the league. And they'll be going all out to win this trophy, Mr Bouchard is desperate to get some silverware to his name to help bolster his fast-growing reputation. And with a league meeting just 2 weeks before, will either team be at full strength, or will they be shielding their big names, playing mind games with one another? It'll be a cagey game, that's for sure. The Cup final will be tough, that's for sure, but I think we can do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dc.gif

p><p>Well it

A fantastic display at Wembley on Sunday saw Spurs victorious over a very good Liverpool side whilst Pompey were thrown out in the dying minutes due to some clinical finishing and some rather dubious refareeing decisions.

Richard Liggins took over United part way through last season but handed over the reigns over to his assistant for the vast majority of the current one. Some top quality signings in the summer of last year drew the fans to Old Trafford, who have at times seen some glorious football. Currently top of the league and proving a force in the UEFA Cup, United aren't a team to be messed about with this season, losing very few, however Sam Bouchard can claim to be one of the victors over Liggins' side this campaign. A Luke Moore strike from the bench sent United packing in the League Cup in extra time at White Hart Lane to which shook the stars from Manchester.

Sam Bouchard has taken Tottenham Hotspur from a middle of the road side to a decent European one, falling at the hurdle in 05/06 and 06/07 before the Quater Finals in both Champions League and UEFA Cup competitions respectivly. Minimal signings for the North London side this season has proved to be key as the team has gelled much better than the previous season, grinding out results in all competitions. Whilst the side has been very consistant this year, they have lost the odd game which when the points were totalled up has probably cost the team the Championship title. Sitting 6 points behind Arsenal after their very strong year Bouchard has been quoted saying that he'd be more than content with Third place this term.

The United manager has already been in the press this week with his views on the competition so Sky Sports caught up with his opponent and he had this to say;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At the start of this year i sat down and spoke to the players individually and we worked out a plan for the season. We've assembled a youthful very talented squad here at Spurs, and were aiming to bring home as many medals as possible. I was quoted saying that we could bring home the quadrouple of the Premiership, UEFA Cup, League Cup and the F.A. Cup, to which floored many of the other EPL Managers. 'No Chance' and 'In Your Dreams' were the comments printed in the papers but hey, if you dont aim high, you'll never get anywhere. Although nothing has so far been won, we've really picked up the pace in the league forcing Arsenal and United to think stratergy's, playing full strength sides in every match to ensure all points were picked up. The UEFA Cup we were knocked out to Madrid and i can't really have any complaints. The league cup was a bit of a fass but anyway, there is stil the FA Cup remaining, and so far we've gone all the way. Why not go one further and bring the trophy home. I Want it, the players want it and David Pagi wants it. It should be a classic final, with both teams having attacking flair and i can't wait for May to come around. I wish my oponent my condolences for the loss and just incase he desn't read this, i've had a Subbuteo Cup ingraved and ive sent it to him just so he can pretend he's won. On a serious note, it should be a great game, and i really do wish Liggins the best of luck, may the best team win! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The two teams have met in the Leagues and the Cups but none an occassion as large as this, the FA Cup final. Best of luck to both sides as this looks to be the specticle of the season as neutral's get set to settle down with a beer and watch the game in awe of the talent.

manutd.gif

UEFA Cup semi final 2nd leg: WBA 1-1 Man Utd

After the 5-0 first leg win, an understrength United played out a tight game. WBA started the better and went ahead when Navidkia (12) headed home from a corner, but Holm (55) equalised with an almost identical goal to put United through 6-1 on aggregate to face Real Madrid in the final.

League game 36: Sours 0-1 Man Utd

With Arsenal losing to Man City the day before, a win here meant United were champions. The game was very even throughout, but one moment of luck/brilliance decided the game. Sparking memories of the 2002 World Cup, Ronaldinho (76) launched a ball over Robinson's head into the top corner in another did he/didn't he moment. Knowing the Brazilian, he probably meant it, but Sam Bouchard didn't think he did, judging by the colourful language that could be coming from the Spurs bench. Spurs lost their discipline after that, Ledley King seeing red for two bookings. So there it was, the league trophy back up in Manchester.

League game 37: Portsmouth 2-0 Man Utd

After the cup game had been so tight, this was always going to be a difficult game. Fortunately the league was in the bag, so with two finals coming up in the next 10 days, most of the big names were rested. The line up was still pretty imposing though, the likes of Rooney and van Nistelrooy starting the game.

United had the best of the first half, but neither side created a great deal. 5 minutes into the second half, great wing play from Zidan saw him find Sonck (50), who wasn't going to miss from 5 yards. Despite bringing on the cavalry from the bench, Portsmouth stood strong and, after a deflected Zidan free kick was spilled by Howard, Daniel Carvahlo (87) made the 3 points safe.

League game 38: Man Utd 2-0 WBA

The same team that played at Portsmouth saw off the Baggies, Cassano (85) and van Nistelrooy (87) giving the United fans a victory to celebrate a successful league campaign.

UEFA Cup final: Man Utd 4-0 Real Madrid

An awsome exhibition of finishing from United, as Real paid the price for going too gung ho from the kick off. Ronaldinho (47 seconds) got the game off to a flier, running from the half way line past 3 defenders before slotting past Casillas; a goal fit to grace any final. Soon after it was 2-0, Cassano (9) slotting home after Eto'o shot had been parried, following a swift counter attack. 12 minutes in and it was game over: after robbing Solari, Ronaldinho went on a run identical to that for his goal, only this time Casillas made the save. Unfortunately the ball ran straight to Eto'o (12) who made no mistake. Straight from kick off it could've been 4, as Real failed to learn from the past 10 minutes. After this they did go more conservative and came into the game more, but couldn't get back into the game.

The second half was an anti-climax, but with seconds of normal time remaining, Rooney (90) smacked one in from 35 yards, beating Casillas all ends up, to wrap up the win with style. Despite playing on their home turf, Real couldn't rise to the occasion. A great win.

FA Cup final: Spurs 1-2 Man Utd

The game had been built up, and early on it was living up to the hype. In the second minute, United broke from a Spurs corner, Eto'o's ball over the top found van der Vaart (2) who kept his nerve and gave United a dream start. Spurs kept their heads though and equalised in similar fashion, Ronaldo broke down the right and found Moore (27) who tapped home. 1-1 at half time, a fair reflection of an entertaining contest.

The second half saw Spurs start the better, so changes had to be made. Now as you know, I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, but the change I made worked a charm. 65 minutes gone, on came Rooney: 68 minutes gone, it was 2-1. After Ronaldo had spurned a good chance, United broke, Eto'o saw his shot parried by Robinson, but that man Rooney (68) was on hand to tap home the rebound. Spurs immediately went more attacking, but failed to create another chance, as United saw out the game to complete the treble.

Season 3 round up

Well there we are, the perfect end to a perfect season. The league was the main priority, and it was won by 4 points, losing just 2 games along the way. The two cups were a nice bonus as well. Next season, though, the priority must be the Champions league. After the assistant got us knocked out in the group stages, really nothing short of the semi's will be good enough. The squad is in good shape, and with some dabbling in the transfer market in the summer, hopefully another successful season will follow for everyone's favourite United icon_smile.gif

birmingham.gif

Results...

Premiership Game 31

Birmingham City 0

Aston Villa 3

Ammendola 45, 67 Jackson 88

Man of the Match: Ammendola 9/10 Aston Villa

Attendance-39674

Refereed by Graham Poll

Premiership Game 32

Everton 5

Flamini 36 Hysen 53 Zurawski 58 Calaio 72 Sivok 83

Birmingham City 0

Sent off: Suazo 60 Birmingham City

Man of the Match: Valdo 9/10 Everton

Attendance-40254

Refereed by Phil Edwards

Premiership Game 33

Birmingham City 1

Dawson 4 Carter 22 Izzet 83

Arsenal 3

Chevantion 31 Henry 72 Reyes 88

Sent off : Campball 54 Arsenal

Man of the Match: Reyes 10/10 Arsenal

Attendance-36963

Refereed by Alan Wiley

Premiership Game 34

Wolves 0

Birmingham City 3

Izzet 11 Suazo 59 Carter 83

Man of the Match: Izzet 9/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-28666

Refereed by Chris Foy

Premiership Game 35

Birmingham City 1

Izzet 33

Man Utd 4

Nistelrooy 12 Baptista 17 Chivu 44 Fletcher 70

Man of the Match: Melchiot 8/10 Man Utd

Attendance-36976

Refereed by Howard Webb

Premiership Game 36

Fulham 2

John 34 Munteaau 39

Birmingham City 2

Forssell 20 Savage 58

Man of the Match: Taylor 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-28476

Refereed by Chris Foy

Premiership Game 37

Birmingham City 2

Izzet 4 Suazo 10

Bolton 0

Man of the Match: Suazo 8/10 Birmingham City

Attendance-34883

Refereed by Alan Wiley

Premiership Game 36

Southampton 1

Hitzleperger 33

Birmingham City 3

Carter 3 Suazo 57 Forssell 89

Attendance-28146

Refereed by Chris Foy

skylogo_default.gif

Birmingham City Chairman Lost The Plot

Yes today Birmingham City chairman Ralph Gold showed he had finally lost the plot by sacking up and coming manager Danny King. With Brimingham City finishing 12th in the league Ralph Gold said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We should be fighting the top teams for the premiership crown and Danny King couldn't do that so he had to go but we wish him all the best for the future. A great deal has been written and spoken about the matter already and, no doubt, there will be more to come. "It never ceases to amaze me how people can talk, write and express opinion without knowing the facts surrounding a situation, whether in football or any other industry. "The important fact to remember is that the club must continue to move forward in the very competitive league in which we compete and I am confident that our new manager and other members of staff will rise to that challenge. "The board will be addressing the longer term situation and will keep all our supporters informed of the progress we make. "In the short term, the trust and backing of all our supporters will play an important part in taking us forward. "This is always worth remembering when, in the football industry, there is, inevitably, a small but vociferous contingent who find criticism the easiest course of action." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fans are said to be deeply upset at the news and Timothy Lee of the Brum supporters club had this to say

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am like all other Birmingham City followers saddened and angry by the news of Danny Kings sacking from Birmingham City today. The whole saga has made me feel disillusioned with football and those involved in the game, people like Ralph Gold supposed men of integrity and decency. I feel like I have been conned, all the money that we supporters spend to idolise people who don't give a **** about us, all the travelling we do, all the sacrifices we make to support our club basically counts for nothing when the manager we want at the club has been sacked. We are mugs us supporters and once again we have been shafted, let down, and used. I feel sorry for Danny King, how used must he feel. In my eyes he is a great manager. .

As for a new manager I really don't have a clue, there are lots of candidates and it is a good job with a wealthy club, how about Pagi or Rick, they are high profile, with lots of contacts, why not? Whatever happens I hope I cheer up because the events of today have soured my appetite for the game, and I feel at this moment that my recovery period may be a slow one.

Good bye Danny, I amongst others wish you the best of fortune and hope you end up at a club where you belong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And a quote from the man himself

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't understand why Gold has done this. Did he forget that I took Birmingham City to a intertoto cup victory or that I was 10 million up on my transfer dealing. Did he also forget that I only lost the league cup final by a single goal or that after a good European run I only lost to the winners of the competition (Manchester Utd) and again in the FA I again only lost to the winners (Manchester Utd). Well only time will tell if he was right but I think me, you and the fans know he wasn't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news for Birmingham City supports is it looks like another good looking manager like King could soon be on his way icon_wink.gif

Remember guys going White Hart Lane tomorrow to watch the mighty Spurs so might be late.

portsmouth_180.gif

Its Coming Home, Its Coming Home, Its coming

That’s what the Pompey fans were singing as Portsmouth amazingly finished 4th taking over 3 teams on the last day of the season. The fans and manger himself were extremely happy and somewhat smug as earlier in the season Niall ‘the luck’ Murphy rubbed it in Portsmouth’s faces calling us nothing more than a mid- table team, well who is going to battle Europe’s elite while the other plays in a Mickey mouse tournament against the likes of Legia? icon_biggrin.gif .

When we drew with Southampton 3-3 even though we totally dominated having 35 shots to there 7 it looked like champions league football would have to wait another year before arriving at Fratton. However the never die attitude that I always bring to clubs was in full force here as the the next game we were only the second team to beat Manchester united this season in a tight game with both clubs only having 4 shots on target. The goals were nicely finished by Sonck and Carvalho to give us a much needed win. So on to the last game of the season Everton were 4th on 67 points, Villa were on 66 and we were on 65 so we needed to beat Sunderland which we did comfortably having 38 shots to 1 winning 3-1. Everton then lost to Boro and Villa could only get a draw at Leicester which completed the miracle which only I could achieve icon_razz.gif .

The egos started to grow at this point which was evident by the wage demands of Sonck and Mido in particular who wanted 60k a week which is a 50% raise. Now I’m not one to let players control the club so those 2 can f**k off along with the other money hungry overated ‘stars’.

Mido 13m

bought for 2.6m 10 months ago shows exactly why I sold the biggest ego in football, (well besides Niall’s) for 13m.

Sonck 8m

this guy has got potential and he did do well here but lets face it I was the man that guided him, I was the man that taught him and I was the man that made him the star he is today. Can he go on without me, huh doubt it icon15.gif .

Incoming were a few bosmans including

Kalou

Buffel

Beasley

Aranda

Xsico

Torres (no not Fernando)

So with money to spend the question is can the GOAT once again bring in enough quality to evolve Pompey into the ultimate killing machine? From past records I know what I would say icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Portsmouth - Manager: Andy Nielsen

After taking Pompey to a safe place in the league last year, i expect an improvement for Nielsen's side. 13th place last year was good for Goat's side but i'm predicting something higher, with a few summer signing's the future's looking good.

League - 10th

FA Cup - 4th Round

League Cup - 3rd Round </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now now sam did someone underestimate the great one icon_wink.gif

my predictions are coming up and trust me they will be unbiased icon_razz.gif but more importantly they will be spot on icon14.gif

everton.gif

Nilsens' prayers are answered, not by God, but by Liggins.

Yes the sadder, dark side of football (that Mo speaks about so well icon_wink.gif ) was in evidence today as Everton missed out on Champions League football despite amassing an incredible 33 points on the road in this seasons Premiership campaign. After travelling to Chelsea and earning a gritty 1-1 draw at the home of the Champions, Murphy was confident that multi million pound spending Richard Liggins would see fit to ensure fair play was the order of the day as his "team" travelled to Fratton Park to play Andy Nilsen's Portsmouth. With both Murphy and Nilsen challenging for the last spot in the competition, Nilsen needed a win to have any chance of qualifying.

Given Liggins' outfit had already won there in the FA Cup and lost only one match all season we expected United to do their duty and put out a strong side to make things as difficult as possible for Portsmouth. Unfortunately, Liggins decided to basically hand the game to Portsmouth by fielding possibly the weakest side he could put out. As I turned up at Fratton Park I couldn't believe it when I saw the line ups. All Evertonians were rightly outraged to see the Manchester United line up missing the core players that had bought the title. Even the goalkeeper was changed showing Liggins' intentions were primarily aimed at screwing over Everton. No Rensing, no Ronaldino, no van Der Vaart, no Baptista, no Chivu, no Cassano, no E'too, no Ferdinand, no Dede, no Ambrosini, no Tuncay. It really was a disgrace to the name "fair play to all" and not only in the Everton managers eyes. icon15.gif

Consequently United went down tamely to a Portsmouth side with whom we hold no grudges for this outrage by two goals to nil. Even Nilsen admitted later he would have been appalled had the shoe been on the other foot. A letter of complaint was subsequently sent to the FA but unfortunately that isn't in the game yet. icon_biggrin.gif Such appalling behaviour as Liggins will find he'll need a bullet proof vest for his next visit to Goodison Park. Despite this and to be fair to Nilsen (who we can see has rediscovered his egotistical side already icon_razz.gif ) Everton were beaten fairly and squarely by Middlesbrough in our last game by 1-0, with the shennanigans at Fratton distracting our side from the task at hand. So we enter the UEFA Cup and take 6th place in the Premiership, so this season is another story of Everton progress regardless.

Murphy commented:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We can be proud of our achievements this season. We have taken home a trophy and thats more than Nilsen can say at this point in time. We also play the game with the right attitude and if we can improve upon our home form next season, it will be us celebrating a place in the European Cup. Good luck to Portsmouth though, they will need it next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

Onto pre-season and I'm delighted with the in's and out's at Goodison Park. £20m has been spent strengthening the entire team (take note Ligs it can be done) with £19.5m recouped in sales. The squad now has great potential and if we can get it right next season on the pitch I'm excited about some of the football ahead.

In's

GK: Andreas Isaksson from Rennes (Bosman): Potentially outstanding goalkeeper

LB: Nigel De Jong (£6.5m from Ajax): Highly rated Dutch defender

CB: Zdenek Grygera (Bosman from Ajax): Another classy defender

LB: Juanfran (Bosman from Besiktas): Squad player at 31 to provide backup on the left flank

RB: Kasper Bogelund (Bosman from PSV): Another Dutch raid looks the bollox

RM: Igor Burzanovic (Bosman from Boducnosc): Nicked ahead of Barcelona a 21 year old soon to be star

CM: Christian Daniel Ledesma (Bosman from Lecce): 24 year old Argentianian midfielder

CM: David Bentley (3m from Arsenal, soon shifted out as I had another two come in in the meantime)

LM: Marko Babic (Bosman from Leverkusen): 10 goals in German football last season and a potentially world class addition

LM: Martin Petrov (Bosman from Wolfsburg): Bulgarian international who was signed as I couldn't cancel it after getting Babic

CF: Robert Vittek (£4.1m from Nurnberg): Again his record in Germany speaks for itself, Slovakian international

CF: Akin Serhat (£6.25m from Fenerbache): Turkish international striker

CF: Roberto Orlandi (Bosman from Brescia) 20 year old Italian prospect

Out's

Quite a few ditched as I rebuild the teams squad while hoping to just add to the weaker spots with my in's

CM: Marisuz Lewandowski - free - Southampton

RB: Miroslav Holneak - free - Q.P.R

LB: Olivier Bernard - £2.4m - Lyon

LM: Andy Reid - £2.5m - Leicester

GK: Jens Lehmann - free (could just about give him away)

CM: David Bentley - £6m - Middlesbrough

GK: Robert Green - £1.8m - Man City

CB: Aaron Hughes - £2.4m - Crystal Palace

CM: Fabio Liverani - £850K - Lecce

CF: Jean Vennigor of Hesselink - £1.5m - Blackburn

LM: Fabio Grosso - £2m - Chievo

CM: Fabio Rochemback - £500K - Lecce

CF: Frederico Piovaccari - £575K - Empoli

AM: Jimmy Smith - £500k - Cardiff

Looking forward to getting back on the pitch for what should be an intriguing campaign.

Archived