[FM16] Gunning for Glory. Taking the Arsenal back to the top

Northernpilgrim

The challenge

Simple. Take over from Arsene Wenger, and make them the most successful English team.

Starting point

Obviously, the challenge is a one club save, starting in Summer 2015 after Arsene Wenger is persuaded to 'move upstairs' and become Director of Football

Arsenal%20job_zpsbaothyem.png

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October started with a game against Bournemouth in which we took an early lead, and conceded a late equaliser. Apart from a European mauling from Barcelona, we bounced back in perfect fashion

Oct%202015_zpsj68rzgi4.png

leaving us back on top of the Premier League

Oct%202015%20table_zpsrsiz15rt.png

In December we made the Semi Final of the Capital One Cup, beat Tottenham, Stoke and Southampton (twice) in the league, suffered defeats to Everton and Norwich, and went into the last game of the Champions League group stage knowing that a win would see us through, anything else and we would be out.

Dec%202015_zpsctrmkjcb.png

all of which leaves us 4 points clear in the Premier League

Dec%202015%20table_zpsnqyrwr0y.png

me with another Manager of the Month award

Dec%202015%20MOM_zpswyc5iotx.png

but the team heading into the Europa League after we failed to win the crunch decider

CL%20Dec%202015_zpsy4vl9qjm.png

January Transfer Update

It's been a very busy January window. Due to injuries I needed reinforcements in central midfield and up front, so I brought in Hector Herrera on Arsene Wenger's recommendation, Marcus Rashford because of his performances IRL for Man Utd, and Callum Wilson because he's in double figures for the season in a struggling Bournemouth side.

Transfers%20Jan%202016_zpsmagqpldq.png

Interesting, how are you finding the tactics working away from home? I've just finished my first season as Arsenal manager. Here's what I achieved with £0 spent

Charity Shield Runner-up

Capital Cup 1/4 finalists

FA Cup 3rd Round

League Winners 87 Pts

Champions League 1/4 finalists

<a  href=Screen%20Shot%202016-03-01%20at%2013.01.

3 Premier League games, a two legged Europa League tie, an FA Cup game, plus the Capital One Cup Final in February, in which we lost only once, but will now face an FA Cup replay Feb%202016_zpsmsizd7zy.png

and we're 6 points clear, with a game in hand

Feb%202016%20table_zpsprov6y4k.png

Interesting, how are you finding the tactics working away from home? I've just finished my first season as Arsenal manager. Here's what I achieved with £0 spent

Charity Shield Runner-up

Capital Cup 1/4 finalists

FA Cup 3rd Round

League Winners 87 Pts

Champions League 1/4 finalists

<a  href=Screen%20Shot%202016-03-01%20at%2013.01.

It looks like you're having more success than me, but it feels like my team are getting better as the season goes on, and our away record, which was concerning earlier in the season, is now pretty solid. Playing a high pressing game, and being good at winning the ball back, seem to be the main strengths to my narrow 4-4-2, which at times looks more like a 4-3-3, though we've got the advantage of the HB when we lose the ball giving defensive cover.

Yeah, I found that started finding a good system but not until Christmas, I'm definitely struggling with second season syndrome now though. If only I could find a left back version of HB...

Sign the young left back from Hull, Andrew Robertson. He would be a backup to Monreal to start with, but given my scouts view of his potential, he'll be a starter in 1-2 years and better than Monreal. He's on my list to sign in the summer

I see that even with Wenger gone, we still can't beat Chelsea...

Indeed not, but we were reduced to 10 men after 37 minutes with the score still 0-0. Diego Costa put them ahead on 48, Selke equalised on 50, but they retook the lead through new signing Maksimovic on 59. Maicon's red card for Chelsea on 63 gave us a sniff, but we couldn't find a way through. The result was just about fair, though if Giroud hadn't been sent off I think we might have put up more of a fight. No argument with our red card, for a two footed challenge.

Summer Transfer Update

Well, I gave DoF Arsene Wenger a stellar list of transfer targets, and he pretty much nailed all of them for me. I think the quality of the squad for next season, despite a couple of big departures, is massively better than last season.

Transfers%20Summer%202016_zpsdn8oxic4.png

Preseason

I wanted to get confidence back into the lads for the new season, given the loss of form and hammering in the Cup Final, but I can't help wondering whether having one challenging game in there might have been useful, given that we will face Chelsea twice in August

Summer%202016_zpsrsifid0q.png

I'm going to stick with the same formation this season, although the quality we have in the AMR and AML positions means I'll have the option to change to either 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 if I want to. It's great to have such flexibility in my squad. I'm looking to farm Marcus Rashford out on loan to get regular first team football, as he has the potential to be a replacement for Giroud, but needs more game time than he'll get with me this season.

August started with back-to-back defeats against Chelsea. Same scoreline, but very different games. We should have won the first, but could have been soundly beaten in the second

Aug%202016_zps55rpprt4.png

Aug%202016%20table_zpsr4fjlg4w.png

and I was nominated for Manager of the Month, coming third

Aug%202016%20MOM_zpsbxfcet3c.png

Nice to see you got the names and logos working this year!

Doing well so far. :)

I'm glad the logos worked too, looks far nicer. I'm pleased with how we've done so far, but there is a long way to go to topple Man Utd's record. I would like to get Liverpool's Champions League record for English teams too.

That's now 13 wins and a draw in our last 14 games in all competitions, I'm very happy with the way the team is doing right now, but we do have some tough games to come. I'll hopefully get the next update done either Friday or Saturday.

Archived