Lacking penetration?

Hello, I am playing with Tottenham at the moment. I am still learning how to create a proper tactic, but I am on the way of becoming better. I am reading from time to time (when I have enough free time) the articles written by people like Cleon or rashidi and I enjoy them, but I am not sure how to apply their principles in my case.

Anyway, I have won the title with Spurs in my first season, I am not sure how exactly tbh lol because I don't think it's one of the best tactics I have ever seen. Probably a bit of luck, players quality and maybe, maybe the tactic fit the players better than the AI thought it would, so yeah I won it.

In the second season, I've won the Charity Shield against Arsenal (:D), then drew against City in the opening fixture, have beaten West Ham away and Liverpool away too. Not too bad results and I am really pleased with these results as I am looking this year to concede as least goals as possible, keep as many clean sheets as possible and score goals, while playing attractive football. Something that Pochettino has achieved this half season at Spurs. Solid defence, exciting young team playing attractive football.

Here is my tactic.

tct.png

I have noticed for some time now that my striker is a bit isolated (or more) in their half and he often does not have safe passing options, as my attacking players (Alli, Eriksen and Son) are either too deep or just blending with the opposing defenders. I noticed that most of the teams park the bus against us or at least that's what I think, they defend with 7-8 players outnumbering my attacking four.

I am looking to play thr Pochettino way. I mean, the attacking four is roaming often, the striker moves into the channel and helps the midfielders which makes the other sided players to come narrow and create passing options. Of course, I am not sure 100% how this system works in all the situations, but these are the main principles. Kane was often marked IRL so Pochettino told him to roam more and move into channel.

I have chosen a CF on Support for Kane because I believe it reflects the duty he has in the team. He does it all, so I believe CF would be the best role to reflect that.

I have chosen AM on Attack for Alli because I want him to try and score goals and be one of my attacking threats rather than a creative player. I have seen goals from him and assists, in the last season, so I believe this role is decent enough to reflect what I want.

I have chosen WP on Attack for Eriksen down the left side because I want him to cut inside and look for a key pass to unlock defences.

I have chosen Wide Midfielder on Attack down the right side because I want a player there to both provide width or cut inside when necessary (using an Either footed player in this position and tried to add Cut Inside PPM).

As for CMs, I believe they have to provide the cover for CBs, since my FBs should provide width on the pitch.

I have chosen Control because we have enough quality to maintain a high defensive line and press high on the pitch (see I didn't emphasized this because I thought aggressive pressing might catch us disorganized and defending teams could hit us on counter). Retain possession is obvious, seeing that it also shortens the passing range a bit, as I saw my players were often using long balls which I don't really like.

Charity Shield v Arsenal. Took the lead through Kane, but fell to a late equalizer. I felt that they dominated us in the second half which is not exactly acceptable for me, but after all they have more quality than us I think. What I noticed was the lack of penetration in their box, it didn't happen too many times which is frustrating.

afcvthfc.png

First game of the season. Missed some key players through national duty so I had to play some youngsters. I think they coped well, took the lead but then again fell to a late equalized as Rose messed up his passes and Vertonghen didn't close down fast enough. Same situation, I see a lot of defensive work, but the attack lacking presence in their box.

thfcvmcfc.png

Second game against West Ham.

whuvthfc.png

A rather surprising 3-1 win against Liverpool.

lfcvthfc.png

My shot accuracy is also low. It could average somewhere around 40% shots on target of my total shots.

What do you think it seems to be the cause? Is it something natural or there could be some tweaks I can do on my tactics so they can achieve better what I want to play?

I see a couple of possibilities you might want to try:

1) Change to Fluid as this will reduce your forwards mentality slightly to get him slightly deeper and more involved with transitions. This will of course increase creative freedom a bit and make your defenders slightly more adventurous.

2) Consider changing to a DLF-S for the CF-S so he focuses more on the deeper elements of play.

How many goals did you score in the league in the first season, and how many did you concede? Most people would be happy with a season one title with Spurs!

I've scored about 70 goals I believe, it was the second best attack in the league behind Arsenal's (only 2 or 3 goals behind). I conceded about 32 goals or something like that, it was the fifth best defence I believe, but that changed during the season as in the first 15 matches, I barely kept a cleen sheet per 5 matches, including cup games and Europa League.

I can't say I wasn't happy with the league, it was a good performance by the young team, especially that we were 10+ points ahead of Arsenal on second, but in the second season, teams either parked the bus against us or my tactic seemed not to have the same efficiency on the ball, midtable teams were taking us by the throat and smashed us around, creating more chances than us.

I decided to change to a 4-1-2-2-1, but that didn't work better.

I see a couple of possibilities you might want to try:

1) Change to Fluid as this will reduce your forwards mentality slightly to get him slightly deeper and more involved with transitions. This will of course increase creative freedom a bit and make your defenders slightly more adventurous.

2) Consider changing to a DLF-S for the CF-S so he focuses more on the deeper elements of play.

1) I see, but wouldn't Fluid also decrease spaces on the field between the players which would make it harder for us to break defensive teams?

2) I did, but after that Kane stopped scoring goals on basis and furthermore, it didn't improve shots ratio either.

Well done for winning the league with Tottenham at the first go, that is great, secondly teams defending and countering you is normal and nothing to do with your existing tactics but everything to do with how you alter your existing tactics to beat more defensive tactics.

I've scored about 70 goals I believe, it was the second best attack in the league behind Arsenal's (only 2 or 3 goals behind). I conceded about 32 goals or something like that, it was the fifth best defence I believe, but that changed during the season as in the first 15 matches, I barely kept a cleen sheet per 5 matches, including cup games and Europa League.

I can't say I wasn't happy with the league, it was a good performance by the young team, especially that we were 10+ points ahead of Arsenal on second, but in the second season, teams either parked the bus against us or my tactic seemed not to have the same efficiency on the ball, midtable teams were taking us by the throat and smashed us around, creating more chances than us.

I decided to change to a 4-1-2-2-1, but that didn't work better.

See how the second season progresses. You've done really well and just need to see if that second half of the season slowdown arises in the start of the next season. I'm as guilty as anyone of changing system unnecessarily. Often all you need to do is improve the squad rather than overhaul the system, so try to remember to pay due attention to scouting.

1) I see, but wouldn't Fluid also decrease spaces on the field between the players which would make it harder for us to break defensive teams?

Yes thats the idea so the player is less isolated which you said was a problem? Why would it make it harder for you to break defensive teams down? Going from Flexible to Fluid is not a huge change, more a minor tweak. Mentality, roles&duty and the players you use are the major things.

2) I did, but after that Kane stopped scoring goals on basis and furthermore, it didn't improve shots ratio either.

What did he stop doing that caused him to stop scoring? Was it just a co-incidence with a run of bad form? Could you use a PI to tweak the role?

Well done for winning the league with Tottenham at the first go, that is great, secondly teams defending and countering you is normal and nothing to do with your existing tactics but everything to do with how you alter your existing tactics to beat more defensive tactics.

I have big time struggle to beat defensive teams.

See how the second season progresses. You've done really well and just need to see if that second half of the season slowdown arises in the start of the next season. I'm as guilty as anyone of changing system unnecessarily. Often all you need to do is improve the squad rather than overhaul the system, so try to remember to pay due attention to scouting.

I signed some high potentianl young players in the summer and used some Academy graduates as substitutes for the first team players. They seemed to do rather well even though they are rated 1 1/2 stars or 2 stars by my Assistant.

I decided to give the tactic another shot with smaller side and see if the problems could be more evident since Spurs had quality players like Kane and Eriksen who could do some magic and score screamers.

Yes thats the idea so the player is less isolated which you said was a problem? Why would it make it harder for you to break defensive teams down? Going from Flexible to Fluid is not a huge change, more a minor tweak. Mentality, roles&duty and the players you use are the major things.

What did he stop doing that caused him to stop scoring? Was it just a co-incidence with a run of bad form? Could you use a PI to tweak the role?

No, not exactly Kane is isolated, the problem is that the players are rushing to quick towards the opponent's goal and those who are deeper cannot run fast enough to give the striker options for a pass. Of course, that doesn't happen often, but it is a bit frustrating to see one player marching towards the goal, then smash the ball in row Z.

I have big time struggle to beat defensive teams.

I signed some high potentianl young players in the summer and used some Academy graduates as substitutes for the first team players. They seemed to do rather well even though they are rated 1 1/2 stars or 2 stars by my Assistant.

I decided to give the tactic another shot with smaller side and see if the problems could be more evident since Spurs had quality players like Kane and Eriksen who could do some magic and score screamers.

No, not exactly Kane is isolated, the problem is that the players are rushing to quick towards the opponent's goal and those who are deeper cannot run fast enough to give the striker options for a pass. Of course, that doesn't happen often, but it is a bit frustrating to see one player marching towards the goal, then smash the ball in row Z.

could you tweak kane to maybe hold the ball up?

Archived