[FM16] - The Ultimate Makoto Nakamura Effect [A-Z of Football Manager]

Cardiovascular

Euro 2020 - Europe

9IfOjBt.pngPZIIfyw.png

The Euros are upon us and for the first time ever, they're hosted in various different places because everyone should have a finger in the pie! Group A contains a Goliath v Goliath battle between France and Germany in which ze Germans triump with 9 points from 9. Turkey also squeak through somehow despite mustering just two points which is fairly impressive going. Russia, perhaps surprisingly, flop and finish bottom. Group B looks fairly straightforward for Italy on paper and it is as they pick up maximum points. They are joined by Ukraine and Scotland, who have the Irish to thank for being absolutely terrible in all three games. They only seemed to turn up against the Italians when they lost 3-2. Group C throws up a small surprise as Belgium finish third behind Greece, although with four points it was never really in doubt that they would go through. Massive well done to the Greeks who looked to be into a shocker following their opening game loss to Norway but they did brilliant to pull it back with a draw against Belgium and a win against Holland no less.

Group D saw England steamroll their group with the maximum possible points and a +7 goal difference. Sweden finish second and head through but Romania will be disappointed not to have put up more of a fight. Group E sees Spain pick up the maximum amount of points and recover from a poor World Cup when they crashed out to Turkey and Uruguay. More surprising is Iceland cropping up into 3rd place and the knockout stages as well by ousting Croatia, great achievement. Group F has Portugal and Czech Republic advancing but Serbia will be disappointed. Not only did they not finish second, they didn't even pick up enough points to qualify in third. Poor showing.

eXQstAe.png

It's almost a win for all the favourites.. until Belgium made up for their poor group stage by knocking out ze Germans. That is a terrific effort and a big shock, throwing the competition wide open. It also turned out Spain weren't going to do that great as they are knocked out by Sweden on penalties. The quarter final sees another shock as Ukraine knock out Belgium who knocked out Germany... which of course means Ukraine are indeed better than Germany. Elsewhere, England do their usual and don't really turn up against France. Two nervy semi-finals later left us with France v Holland in the final and the French came out on top in a tight contest. Très bien!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

logo_usmba.png

Pre-season - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

Expectations

Hum5m9A.png

tB47QED.png

The board and bookies both think mid-table is on the cards this year but following our tremendous finish last year, I'm confident we'll be back in with a shot for the title this year too. My only worry is the extra games for the CL possibly taking their toll on the squad but we'll just have to play a waiting game and hope we can ride it out.

Fixtures

CBKnjrD.png

Good pre-season. Massive game for a club like ours against Aston Villa but they were way to good for us. Earned us a load of cash though and we scored two so there were some positives for sure!

Transfers

iH62WGM.png

kM0JGZ9.png

7wqTyEH.png

fX70pUe.png

Just the three incomings because of squad registration rules (with which I'm currently experiencing annoying problems) and one major outgoing. Fadel Ludon was our key centre back but I wanted the only two foreign spots in the squad to go to Coulibaly and Liri. I did noticed Ludon has something like a year and a half until he gains citizenship though so I've loaned him out for the season with the intent of bringing him back into the side in 18 months time. Bouamrane is his replacement at the back, whilst Saidi makes his loan permanent after impressing during his short stint. Finally, we take in a young RB for a hefty fee to be our main starter at the back.

logo_usmba.png

End of Octobr 2020 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

ifMuPZU.png

It's been a solid start to this year as we've picked up a fair old amount of wins up until this point. We've had a few hiccups and some real concerns - Mansou Liri went of a mega drought which was not convenient but thankfully broke it towards the end of October. Similarly, we seem to be struggling defensively having only kept two clean sheets all season so far which is something that may need looked into in the coming months. All things considered though, this can be considered a very good start to the season. :)

Vf9nY7S.png

We sit second but only just. There are plenty of clubs on our tail and now is not the time to start slipping up. Fingers crossed we can keep pushing for the title.

logo_usmba.png

End of December 2020 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

M6PLNKO.png

We started off the update period with a really poor loss to an average side in ASO Chlef but this seemed to motivate us to win the remaining games of the update. We dropped to 4th after that loss but our consecutive wins have seen us climb back up to 2nd place. We even managed to knock out first place MC Alger after extra time in a heroic effort. We may not be above them in the league but we had the last laugh in the cup! Currently in the midst of the transfer window and my team is being absolutely raided, I'm trying not to sell but if players become unhappy there's very little I can do. Looking like Liri will be gone before the end of January and I think Coulibaly will be off by the end of the season too. Will be lucky if youngster Mohamed Medane sticks around as well.

7NPhFv5.png

2nd and four points clear of third too which is wonderful news to going into the new year with.

Ballon d'Or

Vhwu7ey.png

3cYNDtB.png

Would you believe it? Messi soldiers on but still hot on his tail is a 35 year old Ronaldo who is doing well to stay in the mix.

logo_usmba.png

End of February 2021 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

DrdKPIU.png

A quiet period but interesting nonetheless as we embark on our continental adventure. Only two league games in fact, a disappointing draw and a convincing win. We have still fallen due to games in hand but if we can keep on top of those, we'll do well. In African football, we smashd Wusum Stars of Sierra Leone 13-0 on aggregate in the preliminary round in what is uncharted waters for me. Should be fun! Also advanced in the Algerian Cup to the Quarter final stage where we'll face Paradou AC of League 1.

HCVLg7E.png

3rd, but still in with a shout.

Transfers

2OEVLQw.png

No arrivals but some back up players left. Atek left since I had both YP4 and YP5 emerging in his spot as capable backups. Saidoune and Bilal were both complaining about lack of game time, and that was something I couldn't promise to change. We are a touch short of depth but I think we'll be okay.

We also got a youth intake but for the second year running, it was rubbish.

Things are heating up so I'll keep a bit more up-to-date at this point and switch to monthly updates until the season ends...

logo_usmba.png

End of March 2021 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

E46Ot7H.png

Starting off the month with a 0-0 at home to the champions was... not ideal but the bright side was that we didn't lose so there is that. We trashed Paradou AC 7-1 in the Cup to reach the semis and then, in a huge result, beat top of the league MC Alger 5-2 away from home! This was a bloody wonderful achievement until we threw it away by losing our next league game and essentially nullifying the victory. We disappointingly drew at home to Don Bosco of the DR Congo but thumped them 6-1 in the return leg to win 7-2 on aggregate. But perhaps most importantly, we made the cup final! Comfortably dispatching League 2 side MC Saida. We will face CS Constantine, the champions, in the final.

g1k0Ktu.png

2 games in hand which, if we win, leaves us one point behind the leaders. If only we hadn't lost that game. :(

logo_usmba.png

End of April 2021 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

CMcALmP.png

Incredible month. Winning the Algerian Cup, progress in the African CC and unbeaten in the league. We could've done with winning that game we drew but with two games to go, the real question is... where are we?

rMBsfMk.png

Three points off the top, one game in hand... It is INCREDIBLY tight at the top, and we can't afford to slip up now. By my reckoning, if we win our final two games, we are the champions!

logo_usmba.png

End of Season 2020/21 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

dIjDITt.png

The results are seen as above but this is final confirmation of that beautiful, beautiful league table. We are the champions of Algeria and all that is left is the 'Super Cup' which hopefully we can win! For whatever reason, I haven't received a season review or awards night to post which I think is down to still being in the African version of the Europa League, so I'll crack on with the key players.

Key Players

q8yhcB2.png

un9M7QL.png

Coulibaly was an absolute diamond on the right wing, had a bloody good season. And, with just seven days left on his contract, he has finally agreed to a new deal!! Which makes the right winger I signed a little redundant...

um3xZ9i.png

3NGPvdT.png

Didn't deliver quite as much as expected but had a good season nonetheless. Has just been capped by the Ivory Coast as well to cap off his season.

ybsQpm1.png

I4Y7BaO.png

Bouzid was the man this year. 30 goals says it all, when Liri failed to deliver he most certainly did. What a wonderful season!

Records Broken

M1pRftp.png

2Kvu1sK.png

Pe1wkwM.png

Facilities

qrHy4d4.png

Still won't do the youth facilities though!:mad:

Couple of sad days at the club.

:(

m6bIGiv.png

Z6klvQr.png

Really shows how far we've come as a club when the likes of Real Madrid and Anderlecht will snap up our players. Mohamed Medane was an absolute powerhouse in midfield and will be sorely missed but I believe both him and Liri will be fairly big in Europe. I just hope they both get their chances.

logo_usmba.png

Preseason 2021/22 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

It could be a very short season in Algeria this year as all I'm left to do is win the Super Cup which comes pretty early on in the season. Thanks to our participation the the African Confederations Cup, our players haven't had a holiday and it doesn't feel like the season has even ended - I've had no awards ceremonies, no season reviews and no previews either.

H3KvTaT.png

Predicted to come third and be some way off the top two but we all know the bookies talk nonsense in FM.

8KmAYWc.png

Not much of a pre-season in terms of friendlies as we are still competing in continental football. Shaky start to it too as we were edged out by Constantine in a narrow loss. We've recovered well though and even managed a pleasing 1-0 win over Orlando Pirates in South Africa.

qLoOmoP.png

Some big money thrown about this season. We lost two key players in Medane and Liri for £1.4m but some of the replacements I've brought in aren't too shabby themselves.

qamw9pV.png

Was signed to cover for Coulibaly who I'd assumed would leave on a free. After he extended his contract at the last minute, Moussa will be an U21 playr at the moment although he's not happy about this.

NYYERwS.png

Solid looking 'keeper but is very weak physically.

7fPEB1W.png

Back up MC, bit of a panic buy if I'm honest.

9MPXoJv.png

Replacement for Liri. Nice looking striker too, hopefully he can fill the Ivorians large boots!

fsPDwqX.png

Really good looking centre back who has a wealth of U20 caps as well. Should be a key signing for us.

logo_usmba.png

End of October 2021 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

8V7BM7q.png

It's difficult to express how the above screenshot is so good and yet still so bloody frustrating. :D The only game we have lost so far this season is the only one left needed to complete Algeria. The Super Cup result aside, what a set of results to be able to flaunt especially given the amount of games we've played in this update! Some huge wins, the highlights including a 6-0 romp against USM Alger to send us into the AfCon final which takes place in the middle of November. So hopefully we can bring home that trophy to add more bragging rights! We face league rivals Constantine for what feels like the millionth time since I took over here.

kGKZ2bc.png

Six points clear is a great position to be in already. Even more surprising is none of our title rivals, Constantine and MC Alger, are even in sight behind us. MC Alger had a dreadful start to the season.

VJw7GlS.png

The first leg of the final of the African Confederations Cup has taken place and we sneak a late, late win away from home. Very pleasing result. We have a week until the second leg but also have a match in between then... also against Constantine in the league :D

logo_usmba.png

End of December 2021 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

4BbiVzr.png

Another outstanding update period! Just the one red loss and the rest are all greens which is utterly brilliant to see. Some thumping wins in there too, and of course the brilliant African Confederations Cup win over Constantine. :) There's not much more to say: it's all positives here!

V9VkYzr.png

13 points clear... Without meaning to jinx anything, I think we'll retain our crown this year.

Ballon d'Or

Who do we think won it this year?

rHa0dki.png

l4dfIQW.png

Messi keeps going... When will the streak end?

logo_usmba.png

End of February 2022 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

9M62sMY.png

As has been the story of our season so far, it has all been plain sailing for us as we fail to drop a point over the two month period. Admittedly, and possibly fortunately, we haven't had so many games in this update which has given us a wee bit of a break. However I imagine this will be us probably playing two games a week up until the end of the season so it would be nice to keep this going for a while longer! Some great results here, the 6-1 win away at ES Sétif in particular, but we also lifted the African Super Cup in yet another trophy win which was a great feeling. Especiallyconsidering we thumped Zamalek.

fohy66o.png

UsciUmx.png

Into the African Hall of Fame as well which is a pleasant surprise. :)

wYkc3Pi.png

Plenty of breathing room at the top. We should be able to see this through really, I'll be astonished if we don't.

Transfers

fhiIWcM.png

Two massive losses in the window in losing Bouaoudene who has been fantastic at right back since signing from ES Sétif. I think he's close to making the national team RB slot his own as well. We also lost Coulibaly who got itchy feet. £1m was a price I really couldn't turn down, especially with David Moussa waiting in the wings to take over.

xyqqqli.png

8mm8YCd.png

Just the two arrivals, a replacement RB who looks pretty good on paper and will hopefully prove he is on the pitch - he cost £500k. I also signed Charlet for £475k since Fawzi Saidi was our only left winger - Saidi has been in great form this season but needed competition.

Youth

We got another youth intake and yet again it was pretty dreadful.

Zu655Y8.png

So I made the board do this! Been trying for a year or two now and finally they crumbled under my demands. :)

logo_usmba.png

End of Season 2021/22 - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

JbVMAyN.png

As has been the story this season, this was another fantastic period to cap off a truly wonderful season. We won the league in late March and followed that up with an easy 3-0 Cup win over 2nd division side NA Hussein-Dey. Unfortunately, we went out of the Champions League in the cruelest of ways - we were up by an away goal in extra time when Zamalek scored. We could still win but a 121st minute own goal from Wahid Larbi won them the game. Heartbreaking. :( I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to win the African Champions League in this career but to be knocked out like this was extremely painful.

eM6eaYe.png

niCMiFM.png

A really, really easy season in truth as shown by the fact we were no less than 24 points clear at the top. Great stuff. Once again I've not been given an awards or review for the end of the season so I'm just gonna have to crack on with the key players. Annoying. :(

Key Players

jIuYdGk.png

Moussa had big boots to fill once Coulibaly left and my word did he fill them this year. He had a marvellous season on the right and capped it all off by earning his first of many international caps for Cameroon.

uQN2nHN.png

Saidi, Moussa's opposite flanker, had an equally good season. He was unnerved by the arrival of Charlet in the mid-season window and continued to impress on the left 'til the end of the season.

JBEaQqY.png

Finally, we have Mwenga. Another one with boots to fill as a replacement for Liri and he filled them excellently. He scored 34 goals across the entire season to propel us to an almost unbeaten season and a load of trophies to boot. What a player.

World Cup 2022 - Canada

XCdLFzS.pngE3n7Ccu.png

BCW7x0F.png

Some massive surprises here. Japan did fantastic to top their group over Holland who just snuck through to the Second Round ahead of Croatia. Group B contained arguably the greatest World Cup upset of all time: not only did Iran top their group, Argentina finished bottom with just two points! Iran performed brilliantly in their opening game with a last minute winner over the Argies. Never seen an upset like this in all my years of FM. Colombia also did well to beat Germany to the top of Group C.

Portugal and Brazil were the expected winners of Group D, same with Italy and Uruguay in Group E. Jamaica progressed ahead of Belgium in Group F in another excellent display from a smaller nation. In Group G, our very own Algeria were so unlucky not to progress further but in the end, it was not to be. Progress though. In Group H, Spain and Poland eased through.

vhIM5Cw.png

England finally win a penalty shootout! But the real story is the minor nations blasting through the World Cup and surprising everyone. Iran defeated a lacklustre Holland 2-1 in a brilliant display before meeting their match in Brazil but this was a superb World Cup for them. Ukraine, maybe too big now to be classed as a minor nation, made their way to the final defeating Japan, Portugal and England en rout before being dispatched the born-again Spanish side. After a disappointing few tournaments, Spain will be delighted to be back to their best and world champions once again.

logo_usmba.png

Season 2022/23 Preview - USM Bel Abbes - Algerian League 1

Expectations

k6QYhKT.png

Seems like we haven't qualified for the African Champions League which seems strange given we are league champions. However, with the Super Cup just a few games away, hopefully that is irrelevant and we can win the final trophy in Algeria.

Transfers

Jiwhq7L.png

One in, one out. The squad has enough quality to win the league again I think. Moussa and Mwanga were both headhunted all summer but Moussa signed a monster deal of £6k p/w to stay for another few seasons (on paper at least.)

aUMXJ0p.png

Has good mental stats and physical. Technically, he's not that gifted but I think what he lacks there he makes up in other areas. Also on the verge of the Algerian national team which can only be a good thing.

Fixtures

22UFf1N.png

Some very positive friendly performances alongside our African Confederations Cup matches too. Particular highlights include the 3-2 loss to Gladbach and the 5-2 thumping of Catania, both of whom are reasonably successful European sides. Promising stuff. Super Cup next!

Ballon d'Or

The job hunt continues but we have had a new Ballon d'Or winner! Old Lionel is still plodding along for Barca but his physicals have taken a huge hit - as you'd expect - and it's hard to see how he can remain a regular for much longer. He did make a fair amount of appearances in the past year though.

hPGvWwW.png

fZ7FO8v.png

Mind you, Mata proves age is just a number as he scoops up his first award at the ripe old age of 34. And he may have lost his Ballon d'Or title but Messi still reigns supreme as the lone striker in Team of the Year.

adlarge.gif

Ag33UUU.png

I'm now in charge of Jenial in the Andorran Second Division, a club so obscure I could only find two very poor looking logos on google. Thus, I have settled for the Andorra flag! This chance arose when their ex-manager left for a top division side, it's quite a nice looking job but the squad is really inflated with unhappy rubbish players which will need addressed in summer. I've joined with three games left, promotion is still in sight but the title is gone so unfortunately I'm going to have to either hope results go my way and we don't get promoted. Never thought I'd say that in FM but needs must.

dsLv5dH.png

Nothing but dust in their trophy cabinet. Not 100% sure I'll be able to fill it with anything though.

IEA50Re.png

I have no idea what the levels of finances are like at this level but I'm guessing not good. So, considering we're an amateur side, being £17k in the black is a bonus.

N89Dlwg.png

It is most certainly a case of quantity and not quality here, the squad needs addressing big time which is a task I'm leaving until summer. There are some quality players though who I imagine we may struggle to keep.

oeZ6G5T.png

He's not bad I guess, but again I don't really know what is classed as good or bad at this point. Have a lot of work to do when the season ends!

adlarge.gif

End of Season 2022/23 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran Second Division

5ygPSQS.png

Well, not much to report here as I was in charge for only the three games shown. But they were some cracking games as we smashed Ordino 6-3 on my debut in Andorra. Followed that up with a 4-0 win and then a 2-2 draw against B sides - to be honest, I should be disappointed not to be beating those kind of sides but given it meant we finished third and didn't have to go through a promotion playoff, I'm not too fussed.

H2ks7Fd.png

Strong end to the season as the team was about 6 or 7 unbeaten before I arrived and we extended that to ten to end the season on a positive. Definitely need improvements in some places but the team doesn't seem too bad.

Awards

eOiiNWI.png

Can't comment on this really since I wasn't here.

Key Players

QTLKN1o.png

EeNvFL0.png

K7rafRu.png

Only been here for three matches but I can already tell these three will be crucial up top or on the wing in Peragon's case. Will have to try and afind a decent right winger and 18 finishing is really good for this level.

Other News

9hcHBFS.png

Man City just agreed a potential £69m deal for this lad. :eek: But can he play on a wet Monday night in Andorra?

adlarge.gif

Season 2023/24 Preview - C.E Jenlai - Andorran Second Division

UMRLsym.png

A bit confusing this, one says finish top half and the next says win the league. :D Nothing like mixed signals from your board is there?

D25tTIG.png

I'd probably be sticking a fiver on us at 50-1, but truth be told we haven't strengthened the squad that much over the summer and this may come back to haunt us big time.

NPTj7h3.png

It was a real struggle to get players to join us from other teams and try as I may, no one fancied it. It's rubbish but such is life and we'll just have to make do with what we have.

D1kpi8B.png

LpDfmM2.png

Two backup defenders. They're nothing special really but they're better than what we had. They also have terrible receding hairlines. Coincidence? I think not.

yV9ObNf.png

This season might end up being longer than first anticipated...

adlarge.gif

End of October 2023 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran Second Division

6t8snWL.png

It was important to get off to good start following an abysmal preseason but our change of tactic did little to help and we were mauled 3-1 on the opening day. However, we recovered superbly with three 3-0 victories on the bounce to prove that we are not here to roll over for the season and that there is life amongst this team. Following that came a 2-2 draw which was a tad disappointing as we threw away a 2-0 lead but a point is a point and it's a promising sign for the season ahead.

X9eXtxf.png

Six points behind the leaders but with a game in hand. It's nothing to be alarmed about yet; there's plenty time remaining in the season for us to mount a serious challenge for top spot.

adlarge.gif

End of December 2023 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran Second Division

lAy8zPk.png

A fine period of form save for a two game blip. We picked up some strong wins including a 5-0 and a 5-1 win against poorer sides in the league. The two games we lost were disappointing, particularly the loss at home against Ordino who are challenging for the title alongside ourselves. We did manage to redeem ourselves by defeating Pas de la Casa who are also kicking about, overall it's a solid set of results here.

VZVZx0r.png

Just the one point behind the leaders. The title is still in sight thankfully, hopefully we can continue our good form into the second half of the season.

Ballon d'Or

7sPL0f1.png

a71B1Ib.png

Just when you thought Messi was dead and buried... he's back with a bang. Unbelievable.

adlarge.gif

End of February 2024 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran Second Division

W44Nxxb.png

It's a good month for us on paper but with Ordino in brilliant form at the moment the loss against Atletic Escaldes could end up being a crucial moment in the season. However there were a few games due to be played in this period that were re-arranged so these are now all must win games. Coming into the business end of the season now.

hJJzg7p.png

At a glance, the title looks gone. However we have two games in hand which, if won, would bring us back to 4 points behind. We still have Ordino to play I think - which is a must win game, it goes without saying - but other than that, we need other teams to step up and take points off them. Tall ask, it could be a heartbreaking end to the season.

Transfers

BG1wLNe.png

EPcR7vW.png

Just the two players who are very good for this level if my scout is to be believed. Rubio has pretty quick feet which is a bonus but isn't too great elsewhere. Montoya doesn't look too shabby.

adlarge.gif

End of Season 2023/24 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran Second Division

k02JAvr.png

It looks like good form but two draws and an utterly soul destroying loss to bottom of the league Encamp B put our title charge under scrutiny. We picked it up a bit following the Encamp loss thankfully, including sneaking a 1-0 win over the leaders, and had a good cup run but the question was: would it be enough or would Ordino take the title from our grasp?

V2kGMy1.png

Look out your party hats people! Ordino lost four games since the last update and despite our wobbles, we won the title on the final day of the season. We could've won it against Principat on the penultimate day but who doesn't like a tense 1-0 victory on the final day?

mYHDosl.png

bzmKbmm.png

Delighted! And as a result, this has led too...

TOzAzRH.png

Awards

Q0ZG9yZ.png

Can't say I disagree with the winner although Peragon can feel harshly treated by not even getting a mention despite firing home a club record 16 goals across the season.

Key Players

jYKrBdQ.png

Instrumental in the centre of the park and whilst he may not be high in goals or assists, he was pivotal throughout the season.

bkM5gDy.png

Really good season for our main scoring threat as he notced 16 goals and 7 assists to ensure we won the league in the end. Received an Andorra cap as well along with Marinho.

RQs65xU.png

Etienne wasn't high on my list of key players at the start of the season but he had a brilliant season as he chipped in with 11 goals from the right wing. He seemed to have a knack for scoring crucial goals towards the end as he scored the only goal in both our 1-0 wins over Ordino (leaders at the time) and Carroi on the last day to win us the league. Great season.

Euro 2024 - Spain

nzuir3t.pngrg96jky.png

The 2024 European Championship could almost be described as business as usual as most of the favourites ease themselves into the second round. Spain and Portugal advanced from Group A leaving behind Wales and Georgia. No surprises there. And the same story was retold in Group B where favourites Italy topped the group and were joined by both Croatia and Serbia with the latter earning a spot in the second round through being one of the better third place teams. Group C also had three qualifiers as Holland, who picked up maximum points, were joined by Czech Republic and Sweden while leaving behind Armenia who qualified thanks to the playoff system, a system hugely beneficial to the smaller nations. Nice to see them here.

Group D was a group full of incredibly good teams, probably the worst group of death in Euros history. Russia caused a bit of a stir by beating Germany to top spot and Belgium were fortunate to sneak through in third place with four points. Make a mental note of this fact for later. In Group E, maybe the biggest surprise of the tournament was on display. Ukraine failed to follow up on their wonderful World Cup two years previous and crashed out with zero points. Disappointing for them, joy for England, Ireland and Denmark who go through at their expense. Finally, we saw France and Romania sail through ahead of Albania and Greece easily.

lr9PAxw.png

Well, I never. Remember that mental note made earlier? Belgium, who sneaked into the Second Round draw by the skin of their teeth, went all the way to the end and won the competition! An incredible achievement although one could argue they should be around about that level anyway. No huge shocks here either really. And England, in typical English fashion, lost in extra time to just the nine men from Germany. The Germans lost a centre back in the 40th minute and a left back in the 77th and still managed to pull a goal back in the 85th to bring it to extra time where they would somehow go on and win the tie. Never change England.

adlarge.gif

Season 2024/25 Preview - C.E Jenlai - Andorran First Division

Expectations

jxnKbgb.png

Bloody hell, talk about launching us right off the pier. :D Expecting a strong showing in the First Division so that we obtain European football by the end of the season. Cup semi final should be achievable at least.

t7ZZk8M.png

Bookies have us 5th. A long way off the top if the odds are anything to go by, but we were the same last season and proved them wrong soooo there's still hope there.

Transfers

3NYNbpW.png

A bunch of driftwood released yet again as the purge of our squad continues. Incoming was the exact same as last year - two central defenders. Although I have higher hopes for these two than I do for the last two we signed.

vVctHQh.png

Arrives as back up really but he's got the potential to be first choice depending on performances.

emDx7vg.png

The second Garcia arrives and immediately is one of the best defenders we have. Strong leader as well which is a bonus.

Fixtures

MZUXp0u.png

It's a looong pre-season before a short season in the top flight. Some good results here, probably slightly disappointed to lose too Bagneres but overall I can't be too fussy with the results. It was more about keeping the fitness up in truth.

Other News

5w8gAff.png

The board wanted to give me more money for coach wages but since we pay our coaches nothing I told them to put it here. They did!

adlarge.gif

End of October 2024 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran First Division

ImmdsyD.png

We were launched headfirst into the First Division by kicking off our campaign against reigning champions Lusitans (who are the first side to beat F.C Santa Coloma to a title in over 10 years) so on paper it looked difficult. But we pummeled them for 90 minutes solid and came out with a 5-2 victory which was an incredible feeling. We did lose one of our key strikers, Alberto Nunez, for 3-4 months though so there was a downside. We followed that up with a 6-0 thrashing of Engordany but lost to Extremenya who are quickly becoming our bogey side. Our heads didn't drop though and we ended October on a three game winning streak, outstanding start to the season. Sadly, we also lost Peragon after his hattrick heroics for 5-6 weeks with n ankle injury so hopefully we don't miss him too much.

tiA7rAN.png

Top of the league! But for how long? We face Encamp away from home next. Tough one.

adlarge.gif

End of December 2024 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran First Division

4hyIDn5.png

Another solid period of form, brilliant few games against some top sides around to continue our unbeaten run. We managed to easily defeat second place Encamp to extend our leader over them to four points before sneaking - and I mean sneaking - by Lusitans in our reverse fixture against them. They equalised in the 93rd minute and straight from kickoff, Rob Sweeney managed to crack one in to steal us the win. Of course, we would throw any lead we has away by drawing to our resident bogey side while Encamp won, meaning the gap was just the one point. Fortunately, whilst we demolised bottom side FS Massana, Encamp lost and the lead was restored before the small winter break!

mdKQICZ.png

Five whole points clear. Nice bit of breathing space.

Ballon d'Or

8xb7zK3.png

WcMDvlT.png

Messi still plays for Barca but at 37 is surely coming to the closing stages of his illustrious career. Eden Hazard is the latest winner of the Ballon d'Or, his first.

adlarge.gif

End of Season 2024/25 - C.E Jenlai - Andorran First Division

So as shown above, we breezed the First Division and were runaway leaders by the end of the season. Where the suspense lies now is in how we did in the Andorran Cup competition. If we could win that and the Super Cup during the early stages of next season, we'd be done with Andorra and free to leave.

DYG6roA.png

WE DID IT! An early goal put us one down and I was fearing the worst but we struck back instantly and were ahead with 20 minutes to go. Rubio, our left winger, gave us a two goal cushion and thank goodness he did as Lusitans would pull one back in the dying moments. Fortunately, we held on and that meant we were only left with the Super Cup to win!

rdBfNuu.png

A monster update of fixtures since silly old me forgot to update at the end of February. Obviously it is irrelevant in hindsight since we won but we did suffer a few wobbles - notably, a friendly loss to our U19s and a 2-1 defeat to Encamp. The defeat to Encamp came at the hands of losing Marinho for a bad challenge when we were 1-0 up. Encamp came at us with everything and came out with the victory.

u9gXWEJ.png

We did the double, go us! :)

pvnQy3S.png

The final league table shows our dominance as we end up 12 points clear of second. Spare a thought for Extremenya who were relegated despite having six more points than Engordany, who qualified for Europe instead. :lol:

Awards, Reviews and Records

UuuGx7V.png

This is a well earned win for Etienne who continued his fine form from last season. He was an absolute star on the right wing.

52lKMcL.png

aQRNV8h.png

aD44HGt.png

Key Players

Z7YiIsP.png

One of our top scorers and assists, he shone from day one in the league. Brilliant season yet again.

hUeX3TQ.png

Marinho was once again pivotal in the centre of the park, pulling the strings and scoring in good numbers. Had sadly announced his impending retirement although I'm secretly hoping he will reconsider if I ask nicely enough.

8fpF3Ub.png

Started the season not so great on the left wing but a late flurry of important goals in important matches ensured him a place on this list. Good season.

cVgsZmG.png

Well our European debut was eventful to say the least. It was tipped to be a close game and I fancied our chances at home. We had to do well here and couldn't be relying on the away leg to do our business. We were 2-0 up with 50 minutes gone and just as I was settling down, Ibanez got himself sent off. Nightmare. But it didn't really affect us; Valletta pushed but we absorbed their attacks and countered with good pace twice to pick up two more goals and secure a thumping 4-0 win. I don't want to tempt fate... but do Celtic await us?

Archived