Grey/Ghost Players UK League - why is this happening?

So as you can see in the image below. I am within the roster limits and have enough players. I just signed a new G as Kalemba is rubbish. So he's greyed out in this instance because he's on his '2 week release notice'. As soon as I've do that and sign my new G I end up 1 player over the import limit of 13 - how its only a '13 import dressed' rule not '13 import on roster' rule. So having 14 doesn't really matter (but it seems to on the game) Now the game gives me these 3 greyed out fake players and my HC insists on using them, however won't ever use Ferrara even though he is a real player. It doesn't sound much of an issue but why is it happening? I don't like these grey players as you can't sign them (like on FM) and also they are always TOO GOOD for what they are, so it feels wrong. In EHM 07 this didn't happen. If a player was on 2 weeks notice to leave he didn't even count towards the roster anymore and you could sign a replacement no issue.

rfA2zb7.jpg?1

Batey are here cause you've only 3 RW. The same with Lovell. Skinns is different. He should be rather LD cause you've only 3. Game always fill rosters. :)

I understand that, makes sense and I can live with it. However the game didn't give me any ghost players before I put Kalema on his 2 week release notice. This is why Im confused. Yes I had a small team but no ghost players

So as you can see in the image below. I am within the roster limits and have enough players. I just signed a new G as Kalemba is rubbish. So he's greyed out in this instance because he's on his '2 week release notice'. As soon as I've do that and sign my new G I end up 1 player over the import limit of 13 - how its only a '13 import dressed' rule not '13 import on roster' rule. So having 14 doesn't really matter (but it seems to on the game) Now the game gives me these 3 greyed out fake players and my HC insists on using them, however won't ever use Ferrara even though he is a real player. It doesn't sound much of an issue but why is it happening? I don't like these grey players as you can't sign them (like on FM) and also they are always TOO GOOD for what they are, so it feels wrong. In EHM 07 this didn't happen. If a player was on 2 weeks notice to leave he didn't even count towards the roster anymore and you could sign a replacement no issue.

Could you clarify two points for me please:

1. Are you able to play Kalemba whilst he is serving his 2 week notice?

2. You should be able to sign an unlimited number of imports on your roster. The limit is just for the number dressed. Are you saying you're limited on the number you sign?

I haven't tested the UK for a little while now, but the above used to work fine.

Players that are serving their release notice can be played Archi and there is no limit to the number of imports you can sign only the amount you can dress.

I really beleive that the game engine needs to be set to recognise the EIHL as a three line league. Aside from Nottingham who likely have the biggest budget and occasionaly dress four lines all other teams dress three with spare players dressed fitting in here and there when needed, for instance Cardiff may run a fourth line occasionaly with their two Brit forwards centred by one of the guys on the main three lines.

The game is currently either generating these grey players for clubs or they're signing up handfuls of crap or generated players to fill our rosters which is immersion ruining.

Could you clarify two points for me please:

1. Are you able to play Kalemba whilst he is serving his 2 week notice?

2. You should be able to sign an unlimited number of imports on your roster. The limit is just for the number dressed. Are you saying you're limited on the number you sign?

I haven't tested the UK for a little while now, but the above used to work fine.

Players that are serving their release notice can be played Archi and there is no limit to the number of imports you can sign only the amount you can dress.

I really beleive that the game engine needs to be set to recognise the EIHL as a three line league. Aside from Nottingham who likely have the biggest budget and occasionaly dress four lines all other teams dress three with spare players dressed fitting in here and there when needed, for instance Cardiff may run a fourth line occasionaly with their two Brit forwards centred by one of the guys on the main three lines.

The game is currently either generating these grey players for clubs or they're signing up handfuls of crap or generated players to fill our rosters which is immersion ruining.

Hello Archi and John. What john says is right. I can sign any number I want. Manchester Storm start with too many imports even though Ricards Birzins is missing (although he will always sign right away) I then released 2 to get to the 13 import limit and signed the 3rd GK - I don't understand WHY I must sign a 3rd GK? It isn't normal in the UK for teams to have 3 GK I don't believe so why do I have it - I mean I can only have 2 but then the game gives me more ghost players. If we could just sign up this ghost players it would be fine but they are in the way and always far too good compared the usual GB players.

Also in GB we need to be able to have the 2nd nationality players on the roster.

I find that ghost players disappear from my roster when I drop back down to 13 imports. Perhaps the cause is that you have 14 imports?

edit: Not sure why they're so much better than normal GB/UK players though!

What do you mean by the last line: "Also in GB we need to be able to have the 2nd nationality players on the roster. "?

Thanks! I'm glad it's still working okay.

I agree with your comments on three line hockey. The AI tends to acquire many players in order to beef up the roster whereas in reality this doesn't happen save for the likes of Nottingham.

As with Calv, I'm not totally sure what you mean about 2nd nationality players. Are you referring to players with Britain as their second nationality being regarded as imports? If so, this rule is in place in order to simulate a basic version of the import rule.

Thanks! I'm glad it's still working okay.

I agree with your comments on three line hockey. The AI tends to acquire many players in order to beef up the roster whereas in reality this doesn't happen save for the likes of Nottingham.

As with Calv, I'm not totally sure what you mean about 2nd nationality players. Are you referring to players with Britain as their second nationality being regarded as imports? If so, this rule is in place in order to simulate a basic version of the import rule.

Yes that was the comment about the 2nd nationality. If thats the way it works IRL then so be it :D

Yes that was the comment about the 2nd nationality. If thats the way it works IRL then so be it :D

It's not quite how it works, but it's not too far off. The official rule relates to whether a player requires an IIHF International Trade Card in order to play in the UK. The rule is slightly different between the EIHL and the EIHA leagues (i.e. the EPL and NIHL). What this basically comes down to is that an import that subsequently acquires British second nationality will continue to be regarded as an import by the EIHL/EIHA. So the rule in EHM is a simplification, but it does the job reasonably well. The only bit where it gets a little inaccurate is when a player is treated differently by the EIHL and EIHA (a rare occurrence however; I think Oli Bronniman might be an example) and also where somebody IRL has a British second nationality and is British trained (so in game we have to make him with British primary nationality so that he is not treated as an import).

I think that it is the way it works in real life, though I'm not sure how Sarich and Cowley seem exempt.

I think Sarich might be a mistake - but I'm not 100% sure because I have a vague memory that someone said he's not an import (Calv might know for sure). I think he should be an import but with GB declared as his playing nationality.

As for Cowley: Although he was born in Edmonton, he is British and is not an import seeing as he was British-trained (and accordingly does not require an ITC).

Have the devs ever mentioned anything about the AI and three line hockey Archi?

I think that's a question for Riz!

It's not quite how it works, but it's not too far off. The official rule relates to whether a player requires an IIHF International Trade Card in order to play in the UK. The rule is slightly different between the EIHL and the EIHA leagues (i.e. the EPL and NIHL). What this basically comes down to is that an import that subsequently acquires British second nationality will continue to be regarded as an import by the EIHL/EIHA. So the rule in EHM is a simplification, but it does the job reasonably well. The only bit where it gets a little inaccurate is when a player is treated differently by the EIHL and EIHA (a rare occurrence however; I think Oli Bronniman might be an example) and also where somebody IRL has a British second nationality and is British trained (so in game we have to make him with British primary nationality so that he is not treated as an import).

I think Sarich might be a mistake - but I'm not 100% sure because I have a vague memory that someone said he's not an import (Calv might know for sure). I think he should be an import but with GB declared as his playing nationality.

As for Cowley: Although he was born in Edmonton, he is British and is not an import seeing as he was British-trained (and accordingly does not require an ITC).

I think that's a question for Riz!

Thanks for the information.

What if then... playing on the game is Canadian and British so still classed as an import (fair enough!) but then he gets called to Team GB? What happens in this situation.

Thanks for the information.

What if then... playing on the game is Canadian and British so still classed as an import (fair enough!) but then he gets called to Team GB? What happens in this situation.

That happens a lot both in game and real life. He plays for GB internationally, but remains an import in domestic games.

Archived