Analysing super-keepers

So I'm in my third season and I've been quite successful, I've won every trophy of note at least once (the league twice) and am so far undefeated against my rivals. However...My team is really bad at scoring goals. I have pretty good strikers - those being Paulo Dybala, Alexis Sanchez, Daniel Sturridge and Gabriel Barbosa. However, although I've massaged my primary tactic (a 4-1-2-2-1 possession-oriented approach with lots of pressing) into creating a lot of decent chances, invariably the opposition goal keeper makes a butt-load of saves in each and every match. Like stupidly many. I think Tim Krul holds the record in the Premier League with ~15 saves? For keepers facing my side, that's a typical outing. There 10+ saves in about 65% of our matches. Over two and a bit seasons we are averaging less than 1.7 goals per game scored despite averaging over 60% possession and normally managing over 20 shots per game. The first half of the first season we scored more goals per game, but halfway point of the season and 16.2 patch arrived at about the same time, so I'm not sure if it was opposition tactical adjustment or the patch that nerfed me :).

Here's a typical game, vs Swansea (solid but unspectacular mid-table side).

79DsFFi.jpg

It finished 2-0 to us, there were 7 CCCs (5 of which were absolute sitters and two of which Sturridge should have squared for an easy tap-in) and 18(!) saves. This isn't an out of the ordinary occurrence, either, this is just the last game we played - I could pick any of the last six and the only difference is that we didn't score more than a single goal in any of those.

Now, third season in, I know my squad is absolute world-class (we did win the Champions League last season and added Pogba this transfer window) so I want to work on improving my tactic. At the start of last season I took a few tips from Cleon's possession thread (though my tactic was already pretty close to his suggested starting point, I did remove the attack duties on my wide players and got rid of my high D-Line) and we definitely started to get more shots on targets. This season, I'm trying to address the issue of not being able to beat opposition goalies :).

So my first port of call was to look at the shot analysis screen:

3PbgX7b.jpg

My problem was I don't really know what that screen is telling me. For example, what the hell is that white box? Shots on that screen don't appear to line up with what I see here (only saved shots shown):

gtp3MkA.jpg

So what I'm basically asking is, *how* do I figure out what's wrong with our shooting to hit the goalkeeper so frickin' often? I've never really had this problem before in FM. Last year's game was the first one I really struggled to get the results that I wanted - and even then I was able to score 3+ goals per game and defend decently, it's just that the football we played wasn't attractive. This time I've gone through my usual processes, gotten my shots on target ratio high, am producing nice football, controlling games and making lots of chances. My side just can't beat the goalie and I'm not exactly sure why.

EDIT:

Here's the two goals we actually did score:

[video=youtube;9B0tMyWqn3k]

It's what happens when your tactics are too attacking. It happened to me 3rd season in with Arsenal then with every team after that.

People will come on and tell you it's acceptable and its your tactics etc, which it is but my view on it is that it is in no way realistic.

Your players are clearly getting into great positions as mine where, plenty of shots and possession but the game seems to handicap your players. Loads of missed 1 on 1's and penalties im guessing?

The only way around it I found was to slow the tempo right down, get really creative and keep possession more. Made for pretty dull football but was less frustrating and repetative.

The game doesn't handicap players at all. The first thing that comes to mind is 30 shots. Really?

I'd be aiming for half that, good chances trump lots of chances.

This looks like classic Liverpool under Rodgers last year. Bring the pace down a little, or try and work the defence a littlw, composure and time accounts for a lot, gives them the space to pick the spot.

My setup was by no mean amazing, and I think I put away 115 goals in all comps (will check when home)

And ignore the CCC stat, it's horrible. Been saying that for years.

Archived