EIHL standings problem

Hello

The game runs perfectly fine for me except for this one frustrating issue. The British Elite League overall standings sometimes have teams ranked inconsistently with the number of points they have. For example, a team with 18 points might be 3rd, with the 2nd place team having only 13 points. I can't be sure, but it seems like being the top placed team in the conference automatically makes that team 2nd/1st in the overall standings regardless of the number of points they have. I love this game but I really want to play it in the EIHL, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Thanks for replying!

Thanks for explaining how it works. I understand how the playoffs seeding works, but I still think the standings issue is a bug or a design fault, since the position in the league table is not sorted by seeding in the actual elite league. My concern is that this system could lead to a team finishing second or third when they have less points than teams that finish beneath them.

Yeah in an ideal world the teams would be ranked by points, but it's a small price to pay for the correct playoff seedings IMO. :)

Not really, the playoff seeding could still be based off conference seedings and still display the "complete" league table considering the points as is the elite league table:

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/eihl-standings-201516/

One thing does not have to interfere with the other.

Not really, the playoff seeding could still be based off conference seedings and still display the "complete" league table considering the points as is the elite league table:

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/eihl-standings-201516/

One thing does not have to interfere with the other.

No that's incorrect. Playoff seedings aren't based upon conference standings; they're based on the standings in the overall league table. The games that count towards the overall league standings are different to those that count towards the conference standings. Overall league standings take into account all 52 games. Conference standings take into account inter conference games only.

The team with the highest points in the overall standings is 1st seed. Assuming this team also won their conference, the other conference winner is 2nd seed. If the league winner did not win their conference, the two conference winners are 2nd and 3rd seed. Hence the overall league standings have to be used for seedings.

More details here (see the section entitled Playoffs): http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/the-eihl/

I thought as much, but due to your previous reply of "it's a small price to pay for the correct playoff seedings" then I imagined it could be seeded by conference this season like in the NHL.

In practical effect what would be the problem of having the league table sorted by points as is in real life? Let's say Steelers have 40 points, Panthers have 39 (1st and 2nd in conference) and Clan have 38 (1st in their conference).

The league table could and should display Steelers, Panthers and Clan in 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall, yet pick Steelers and Clan as top two seedings based on them being conference leaders, in spite of the Clan not listed 2nd in the league standings.

Know what I mean? SI can program the playoff seeding anyway they like, I'm sure they can program the first two from the top of conference and the remaining based on league table, excluding the two conference leaders as they have already been pre-seeded. This will mean the league table can be displayed as is IRL and the playoff seeings can also be as IRL.

Maybe it can be as simple as a check box that reads "Playoff Seed at the Top" or something to that effect so people can see the "real table" and the "playoff position table" which is what we currently get in the game.

Could be an issue if down the line the champions league was to be included. The top 2 of the overall table get a place in the champions league and the play off winners a continental cup slot. I suppose maybe like in FM where you can see third placed teams for qualifying for say a European championships there could be a dropbox that shows play off seedings

• SI Staff

Because the game displays the playoff position separators and playoff fate indicators in the standings, it makes sense for the default view to be sorted by the playoff seeding as well. Looking it the other way around, if the default display would be purely by points only, you wouldn't be able to have the playoff position separators in the standings (or they could indicate the wrong teams in some cases)

I'll add it to the wishlist to add an alternative view for the standings table.

Archived