FM16 Biggest mistake made as manager

Playing as BvB, I got a couple of offers for different players in at once. I clicked on the player profile of one of the offers, and decided he wasn't good enough so clicked [back] and "accept offer - not part of the first team plans" before immediately realising I had accepted an offer of £20m for Hummels from Barcelona (half his market value), as the news had went to the next unread item when I clicked back.

Seeing that I hadn't saved in a couple of weeks and had done so much work over pre-season, I waited and hoped he would turn them down. He accepted their contract offer, but I cancelled the transfer. Sadly he turned against me and half the squad came out in support of him.

Had to start again :/

I'm a stickler when it comes to selling youngsters that their sale must include a buy back clause, I sold one of my youngsters who I was unsure about to Lazio, for £7m, I originally had agreed a 15m buy back clause in and accepted but for some reason took it back out and forgot to re put a buy back Clause in, now he's worth £30m and is contending for world player of year...

I am managing Gillingham and played a Johnstones paint trophy match late one night (literally beginning to fall asleep) so I threw in a few youngsters and the reserve keeper to get game time up a little. Despite actually dozing off a couple of times during the JPT match I thought I can't go to bed properly when the next match was 1st (me) v 2nd (Barnsley) so I clicked through the game, and dragged my first choice keeper to right back (instead of replacing the reserve keeper) And I dragged a 70% injured Winger into a strikers role (instead of the leagues top scorer who remained on the bench) I then left a reserve and U21 central midfielder in the starting line up before kicking off.

I didn't take long to realise my error... Stuart Nelson (my keeper playing right back) getting skinned and the cross sailing over my reserve keepers head after 24 seconds made sure of that....

I switched the keepers round (might as well have the good one in goal) and left the other players until half time when I was 3-0 down. Made changes at the break and lost 4-2

On my Newcastle beta save I sold Janmaat for good money and arranged a deal for Mayke....accepted the deal happy as larry and only realised after he'd failed his work permit appeal. Had to loan him straight out and started the season with no recognised right back in the squad.

I'm sure I'll drop a much bigger clanger at some point over the next year of FM16 though

I had just finished a great season of exceeding expectations in the Belgian 3rd division. At the end of the season many of my non-contract players (only paid appearance fee, no salary) got signed by other clubs because I didn't offer them part-time contracts - I expected to be able to strengthen the team even more in the offseason. I signed many good free agents and loaned (more than) a few promising players. Unfortunately, I didn't read my scouts' notes beforehand, and I brought a lot of unprofessional guys into the locker room. And due to my haste in bringing in many loans and contract players, too many players were expecting to be starters...

You can have unprofessional players, or you can have unhappy players, but I recommend against having unhappy unprofessional players... I was unemployed by the end of the season.

Archived