[FM13] Got 99 Problems But Norwich 'Aint One.

deltablue

Aug 2028

Ipswich 3-0 Newcastle (CS)

Linias, Yilmaz, Palermo

We opened the season in the community shield against Newcastle and took the lead after half-an-hour when Linias fired home after a penetrating run. Yilmaz added another from a penalty just before the break. We were easily dominant and eventually got a deserved 3rd when a long Fabiano cross was bundled in at close range by Palermo.

Ipswich 1-2 Leeds (PRM)

Linias

The league began against Leeds, which was a fixture we actually lost last year and got off to a terrible start again when Shoretire parried a powerful free-kick into the path of a Leeds player, then he was beaten with a header as we were 2-0 down after just 12 minutes. Linias almost looked angry when he ran into the box and thrashed the ball home to pull one back but we couldn’t turn that into enough pressure for an equalizer.

Hull 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Amato

Our bad start continued against Hull which looked like being a 0-0 draw until Amato (finally coming good after a few years of being poor and hardly used) converted a late Salazar corner. It still wasn’t enough as they won a controversial stoppage-time penalty and equalized.

Ipswich 3-0 Newcastle (PRM)

Yilmaz, Linias (2)

We met Newcastle again in the league and thankfully they proved to be just as soft as in the Community Shield. Amato set up Yilmaz in the first minute and Linias scored a brace before half-time.

Sept 2028

Stoke 2-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz, Andronov

We also looked good at Stoke when Yilmaz gave us the lead in the 35th minute but they overwhelmed the defence and equalize before half-time. Andronov (who was very close to leaving in the summer) restored the lead but they knocked home again to level it.

Ipswich 3-1 Austria Vienna (CL)

Yilmaz (2), Linias

We had probably our easiest CL group yet, and started the campaign against Austria Vienna and it was no surprise to see us take a 2-0 lead from 2 Yilmaz goals after 25 minutes. The Frenchman set up Linias for a 3rd early in the second-half. They clawed one back but there was never any panic.

Chelsea 3-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz

After our mediocre league start, we faced our first tough test away to Chelsea. However we took the lead after 5 minutes when Yilmaz dispossessed Courtois outside the penalty area and tapped home. Unfortunately it didn’t last long and after resisting for a while they broke through twice in the second-half.

West Ham 1-0 Ipswich (CL R3)

We went to West Ham in the League Cup which was a close and hard-fought encounter. We pushed more as the game went on but I didn’t expect Colin to be caught off guard and lose possession outside his own area giving them a late winner.

Ipswich 3-2 Arsenal (PRM)

Ivankov (3)

We went behind against Arsenal but the game changed when Ivankov came on. He quickly equalized with a penalty, gave us the lead early in the second-half and scored a 3rd from another penalty. They got a late goal back and kept pushing but we just held out.

Monaco 0-0 Ipswich (CL)

We went to Monaco for what was the trickiest CL group game and played a stalemate, but a draw from this suited us fine.

Ipswich 3-3 Man City (PRM)

Docherty, Ivankov (2)

We took the lead after 12 minutes against Man City when Docherty converted a Palermo corner, but they equalized when a harsh penalty was awarded against us, not for the first time this season. Ivankov helped us take control with 2 goals before the break but sitting back later on didn’t work and then came back to take a 3-3 all with the help of some very foolish defending.

sept28_zpsjczlcnxq.jpg

clsept28_zpsgj7kufaj.jpg

fixsept28_zpsbci2awph.jpg

OK so that's not a good start at all! The trouble with reaching the top is that the pressure is on to maintain it. We may have stormed to the title in the end last season and strolled to it twice before but that's only an occasional thing, otherwise we're a little more like this and it just feels very frustrating everytime, which is probably why I feel like winding this down even without the FM16 release being a factor (as I'm in no rush to start). That being said looking at the list of results, Leeds is the only one really worth banging the table about. We've been drawing away league games against the likes of Stoke and Hull on a regular basis for ages now and that hasn't stopped us winning titles, in fact nor has a slow start to the season like this. Man City was a little disappointing but it could have been worse against a side that good, Chelsea was expected and a draw away to your main group rivals in Europe is never too bad. As for the League Cup, I can brush that aside but if we fail to kick into gear enough in the league then how we do in other competitions will matter a little more, and I was already going into this season with a bit more of an eye on Europe.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oct 2028

Aston Villa 1-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias (2), Ivankov

We went to Aston Villa and kept raiding them before Linias finally broke the deadlock after 40 minutes. They eventually equalized in awkward fashion when a long shot rebounded off the crossbar and it was left free to be knocked in but Linias then crossed for Ivankov to walk the ball into the net and the latter repaid the favour as we won 3-1 in the end.

Nacional 1-7 Ipswich (CL)

Ivankov, Linias (3), Moroni, Palermo

We took the lead in Madeira against Nacional when a Moroni free-kick slipped through the fingers of the goalkeeper, soon followed by a goal from Ivankov and 2 from Linias as we were 4-0 up after 20 minutes. Moroni fired home after a long run later in the half and Palermo immediately added a 6th. Linias eventually sealed a hat-trick while they got a late goal of their own.

Ipswich 1-0 Everton (PRM)

Ivankov

We needed to get a few wins together in the league but an Everton side who were above us were hard to break down. We had a few good runs that didn’t lead to anything but Ivankov eventually managed to get on the end of an Estrella cross to give us all 3 points.

Huddersfield 1-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias, Ivankov, Francis

We took the lead at Huddersfield wen Moroni managed to play the ball over the top of the defence to Linias. Ivankov got a second from a penalty and though they got a goal back, Francis sealed it at the end.

Ipswich 3-1 Nacional (CL)

Linias, Francis, Ivankov

We surprisingly went behind at home to Nacional but Francis set up Linias before scoring himself as we were ahead after half-an-hour. Ivankov made it safe later on.

oct28_zpsdjh6qzk5.jpg

cloct28_zpsjx9cuipp.jpg

Just a short update this evening, but a very good one. When we've made slow starts to the season like we have, it hasn't taken long to get back up to speed and it looks like we've managing to get our act together this time as well. 3 league wins from 3 (including a from a couple of away games that could have been banana skins) has helped us move up the table and with more winnable games coming up, we can hopefully get ourselves in the title race. In the CL, Monaco and ourselves have sealed qualification already and the showdown at Portman Road in the last round will decide who finishes top with the advantage looking like it'll fall to us unless they get a much bigger win in the next matchday.

Nov 2028

Derby 2-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias, Fabiano

We took the lead at Derby when Linias pounced on a flawed interception and slotted home in the 8th minute. Fabiano headed in a Francis corner but the match turned against us when Gallart was sent off for a soft second yellow and Francis went off injured. They were much improved after the break and got a goal back. We thought we’d sealed it late on when Estrella crossed to Linias only to see it ruled out for offside, and they got an equalizer right at the end, which was frustrating. Leon would also be out for a bit.

Ipswich 6-3 Southampton (PRM)

Linias (4), Ivankov, Fabiano

Linias gave us the lead in the 10th minute against Southampton, and though they soon equalized, Linias soon fired home again, followed by Palermo running half the length of the pitch to set up Ivankov. We seemed unable to hold a lead as they got a second goal, followed by Linias having a goal disallowed for offside again, and they equalized early in the second-half. We turned up the heat and in one heavy attacking phase, the ball kissed Fabiano’s head to give us the lead again. This time we didn’t let go and though Linias was denied a penalty, he still got 2 more late on.

Austria Vienna 2-3 Ipswich (CL)

Ivankov (2), Linias

We actually went behind in Vienna, and when Ivankov eventually equalized, they just went and did it again. Trombini crossed for Ivankov to equalize again just after half-time and though the Italian had a goal disallowed (we’re really not having much luck with those) but Ivankov played the ball to Linias (who was supposed to be rested on the bench but was brought on when we were in trouble) to give us the win. Monaco lost against Nacional but that didn’t change anything in term of ‘they need to beat us to be top’.

West Ham 1-5 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias (4), Palermo

We had a tricky start at West Ham but Linias nipped in to take advantage of a defensive mistake, before getting the ball from Ivankov and running into the penalty area and firing home for 2-0. He completed a hat-trick later and Palermo even got a 4th. They got a goal back but Linias wrapped up a 5-1 win, bringing his league tally for the season to 15 goals in 13 appearances, and 22 in 20 in all competitions.

Ipswich 1-0 Reading (PRM)

Linias

We looked comfortable against Reading but a goal just wouldn’t come. Finally Estrella made a cross that Linias managed to convert, but we had to hold on quite a bit in the remaining minutes.

Tottenham 3-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz

We went to Tottenham and hoped to ‘survive’ but a poor defensive performance put paid to that and we were 2-0 behind after half-an-hour. Trying to emerge from our shell didn’t help much either and we conceded again after half-time, though Yilmaz at least managed a goal.

Ipswich 2-0 Monaco (CL)

Ivankov (2)

We easily settled things in our CL group when Ivankov gave us a 15th minute lead. He added another with 5 minutes left.

cldec28_zpsgqth9qms.jpg

cldec28b_zpsirqnidpq.jpg

Dec 2028

Fulham 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Ivankov

We went behind at Fulham and looked like heading for a little stumble. Ivankov gave us a point with a late penalty but it was otherwise an underwhelming day.

Ipswich 2-0 West Brom (PRM)

Linias (2)

We managed to be a bit more convincing against West Brom with Linias giving us the lead in the 1st minute. He had a tendency to break too soon and get blown for offside which happened again but he still got a second goal near the end.

Man Utd 1-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Pierce, Linias, Ivankov

We had a potentially frightening run of away games until after Christmas starting at Man Utd but Pierce gave us the lead after 18 seconds (setting a new club record). They hammered away and soon equalized but Linias wasted little time putting us back in front. They went down to 10 men in the second-half, immediately followed by Ivankov putting it beyond them.

Liverpool 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Ivankov

Things didn’t go so well at Liverpool as we went behind in the 14th minute. Ivankov equalized 15 minutes later but we couldn’t even take advantage of a late Liverpool sending off.

Leeds 0-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Ivankov

I was a little nervous going to Leeds as they were flying high, and because of what they keep doing to us. However Linias set up Ivankov in the 4th minute and either could have had another and they only really threatened near the end.

Newcastle 0-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias, Pascal

Newcastle was the last trip of this run. We struggled to make a first-half breakthrough but really got our act together after the break. Linias immediately fired us ahead and Pascal headed in a Francis corner.

Ipswich 1-0 Hull (PRM) 900th career match!

Docherty

Hull was my 900th career match but we had a very blunt attack this time around. We eventually managed to get the win when Docherty headed in a corner.

dec28_zpssm9u3dps.jpg

fixdec28_zpsjwfeel19.jpg

We're continuing to go very strongly indeed as despite having left ourselves with a lot of catching up to do early in the season, we've now managed to do that. Chelsea seemed a bit of a threat for a while with their games in hand (probably because of the CWC) but they've already played twice in 2029 and stumbled badly with just a single point from those games (not in the trickiest of games either, away to Villa and at home to Everton) so they're just 3 points ahead with the same number of games played, as well as a game in hand over Tottenham and a decent advantage over everyone else for now. Our next 2 away games are against Arsenal and Man City so we might not be able to push on and go top quite yet but if we keep on going like we have, we should hopefully manage it eventually and the hat-trick of titles looks more feasable than it was earlier in the season. In Europe we have Porto, not for the first time, which in the past could have been considered one of the easier potential draws, though not so much this year it seems. After losing to Juve at this stage last year, it will be interesting to see what sort of a run was can do this time, as long as we avoid Man City.

One interesting thing of note was that both Linias and Docherty made the 'First XI' of the World Team of the Year (with Fabiano on the bench), which is great to see given the lack of success and recognition my players have had on the global stage otherwise.

I've also decided that next season will be the last of this career. I did wonder about continuing under certain circumstances (mainly not winning the league so I can go out on a high, but a good last result might have to do) but I felt that might take quite a bit of time to get through (my playing pace is nothing like it was up until a couple of years ago, though I do try and get on a bit more sometimes), and I still want that last 'full season' and final crack at the CL so that seemed like a decent balance to strike, especially given my FM16 plans involve holidaying for a while and starting a decent number of seasons in the 'future' so it gives me time to make plenty of progress with that.

Jan 2029

Arsenal 0-0 Ipswich (PRM)

We had a slow start to the year at Arsenal, and after they received a red card I did wonder if we could go on and win but I was still happy with a draw.

Ipswich 4-1 Reading (FA R3)

Obradovic (3), Yilmaz

We played Reading in the FA Cup and after our poor cup displays in recent years we looked a lot better this time. Obradovic had very few opportunities in Linias’ place but he took advantage of this one and gave us the lead after 10 minutes. Yilmaz extended it with a penalty and Palermo set up Obradovic’s second early in the second-half. They sneaked a goal back but Obradovic complete a hat-trick.

Man City 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Pierce

We went behind at Man City in what was always going to be a tough game but Pierce managed to fire home an equalizer after the break. On balance they looked more likely to win but we held on to a point.

Wolves 1-2 Ipswich (FA R4)

Andronov, Yilmaz

We went to Wolves in the FA Cup which should have been a comfortable win but we went behind in the 8th minute. We piled on the pressure and finally equalized from an Andronov free-kick in the 66th minute, and a Yilmaz goal spared us a replay.

Ipswich 2-0 Chelsea (PRM)

Palermo (2)

Chelsea was yet another big game this month and we got off to a great start when Palermo fired us ahead in the 4th minute. We really should have had another before the break and they fired a warning shot with a disallowed goal at the start of the second-half. A win would take us to 4 points off them but with a game in hand so it was critical that we hold on to all 3 points and ironically it was after I relented and decided to try and hold the lead rather than finish the game off that we scored again, Leon playing in a really long free-kick for Palermo to head home for potentially the most important win of the season.

Ipswich 2-0 Aston Villa (PRM)

Ivankov (2)

Our strong run continued against Aston Villa, with Ivankov giving us the lead late in the first-half from a penalty. He scored again after the break to give us a deserved 2-0 win.

Feb 2029

Everton 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias

We went to Everton shortly before playing them in the FA Cup and went behind before the break after a few messy patches around both goals. Linias sneaked behind their defence like a ninja to equalize and we were frustrated in our attempts to go on and win.

Porto 2-3 Ipswich (CL KO)

Ivankov, Linias

We had the first leg against Porto surprisingly early in the year and we went ahead late in the first-half when a corner was deflected in for an own-goal. They equalized after 50 minutes but Ivankov restored the lead with a penalty having had a goal disallowed. They equalized again but 2-2 would still be a good away leg result and as it happened Ivankov crossed for Linias to convert right at the death.

Ipswich 1-2 Everton (FA R4)

Ivankov

We were surprised to find ourselves 2-0 down after just 8 minutes against Everton in the FA Cup but Ivankov soon pulled a goal back.

Ipswich 3-0 Stoke (PRM)

Unal, Linias (2)

We kept pushing but found ourselves going out. We took the lead after half-an-hour against Stoke when Unal bundled in a corner. Linias secured it with a second-half brace taking him to 31 goals for the season, and he was now just 5 off Viola’s record tally for the career, and 8 off the same player’s record for a season.

Ipswich 3-1 Derby (PRM)

Unal, Linias, Palermo

Unal again converted a Palermo corner to give us the lead against Derby, and the latter set up his compatriot Linias at the start of the second-half. The Argentine winger was by far the most expensive signing of the career (both in terms of fee and wages) but this was one of those games where he was very much proving that he was worth it and he deservedly got a goal of his own for 3-0, though they did get one back in stoppage time.

Ipswich 2-0 (5-2) Porto (CL KO)

Linias (2)

We hoped to finish the job off against Porto efficiently and Linias gave us the lead after a minute. They now needed 3 goals to knock us out and I knew we had half a foot in the next round to begin with. Linias struck again to make it comfortable.

feb29_zps4q2rlhp7.jpg

clfeb29_zpssbcqat7d.jpg

fixfeb29_zpsg9qkmdxl.jpg

Again we're cruising along rather nicely. We've had better spells of form in the past but this is a very good consistency that has seen us catch up a lot of points in the past few months so I feel momentum is very much with us as we hope to get a clear league lead soon, though I must admit it looks really interesting as it stands now with 3 teams level on points and with almost the same GD. Another thing in our favour is that we've already finished playing Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal (though the latter haven't been so good recently admittedly), and our remaining 'big games' against Tottenham, Man Utd and Liverpool (with a certain generosity of spirit as this is easily looking like their best season for a very long time) are all at home, in fact that latter 2 are our last 2 league games as things stand!

In Europe, beating Porto was expected, though my memory played tricks on me as I thought it was the 3rd time we've played and beaten them at this stage when in fact it was only the second. However having fallen to Juventus at the same stage last season (though we had beaten them twice in a row previously in the Quarters so I guess they owed us one) I was still happy at getting a potentially much longer run. That defeat and the two limp quarter-final defeats to Man City in the previous 2 years has dampened my confidence in challenging in the competition but luck was with us as we get Valencia this year, one of only a few potential opponents that didn't look like they might be really scary! Not that we can take anything for granted of course and they are a pretty good side but our chances of making it though to the semi's for the first time since we won the thing (I think) aren't bad at all.

Been getting caught up with this thread. League is tight at the top! You done ok for yourself in the WC. :D Still holding out on FM16?

Nope, I've got it and everything is all set up for the next career, just didn't feel the need to switch quite yet.

Mar 2029

Ipswich 4-0 Huddersfield (PRM)

Linias (2), Ivankov, Nasta

We struggled to break through against Huddersfield for a while but Linias broke through in the 34th minute and it was easier after that. Ivankov hadn’t missed a penalty since the collapse of the Soviet Union and he made it 8 from 8 for the season with an effort placed perfectly down the middle and then came the ultimate humiliation… Nasta scored. It was only the full-back’s 3rd league goal for the club in something like 375 appearances. To put things into perspective, Shoretire has more goals! Linias finished off a comfortable win, become the career’s joint-top scorer on 248 goals.

Southampton 0-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Ivankov, Linias

A trip to Southampton (briefly up in 4th) looked like it might be tricky but Ivankov converted a Palermo cross after 5 minutes. A Pierce cross was later deflected in for an own-goal and Linias sealed a 3-0 win.

Valencia 3-3 Ipswich (CL QF)

Linias (2), Ivankov

We had the first leg of our CL quarter-final in Spain and went behind from a free-kick in the 18th minute but Linias fired home an equalizer just 4 minutes later, his 250th goal for the club, and set up Ivankov to give us the lead. Linias even put us 3-1 ahead by the break. Shoretire was a very busy man in the second-half and they eventually got a goal back, managing to edge an equalizer in stoppage time but we still had the upper hand in the tie.

Apr 2029

West Ham 0-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Palermo (2)

We played West Ham and took the lead from Palermo after a twisty run and a narrow-angled shot. Linias unfortunately went off injured and would be out for almost all of the remaining season, but Palermo at least gave us another.

Ipswich 1-0 (4-3) Valencia (CL QF)

Palermo

We had an easy time finishing off Valencia at home as the needed to win but didn’t register a single shot. We pushed to try and seal it with a win and got it from Palermo, triggering a very quiet second-half. Into the semis we went where we’d face Bayern.

Reading 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz

We needed to make a few changes to go to Reading and were rather lacklustre. Yilmaz gave us the lead in impressive style in the 57th minute but that was the only real bright spot and they converted a corner with 5 minutes left.

Ipswich 2-3 Tottenham (PRM)

Yilmaz

We were now 2 points off Tottenham and played them next at Portman Road and took the lead from an own-goal. However Pierce got sent off and while we held on to our lead for a while, they eventually turned it around to lead 2-1. As things stood they’d be 5 points ahead with 4 games left. Yilmaz managed to equalize but we couldn’t hold on and they got a winner.

Bayern Munich 3-0 Ipswich (CL SF)

We were really up against it at Bayern and went 2-0 down in the first-half. They soon got a 3rd after the break as our season seemed to be falling apart.

Fulham 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz

I expected more misery at Fulham and even though Yilmaz gave us the lead after 15 minutes, they bundled home from a well-struck free-kick in the second-half and our title dreams were as good as over.

Ipswich 1-0 (1-3) Bayern Munich (CL SF)

Obradovic

We needed a miracle at Portman Road against Bayern but we failed to really threaten at all in the first-half. Obradovic managed to score a header in the 56th minute but we needed 2 more go get extra-time and it soon became clear it was never going to happen. Yilmaz ended up getting injured as well and would be out until the start of next season. It never rains but it pours.

West Brom 1-0 Ipswich (PRM)

Things didn’t get much better at West Brom which was a very middling and even game but Nasta got sent off (with 2 full-backs already injured) and they got a winner in stoppage time.

May 2029

Ipswich 1-3 Man Utd (PRM)

Francis

2nd place was now under threat but Linias was just about ready to return against Man Utd and set up Francis after 30 seconds. However we were running out of available defenders and those we did have were a disaster right now. They equalized direct from a free-kick and went on to go 3-1 up after 40 minutes as we fell to defeat after another lacklustre performance.

Ipswich 2-0 Liverpool (PRM)

Francis, Mol

We couldn’t afford a final slip-up against Liverpool with Chelsea level on points but we looked much better than we had been for weeks. A goal still didn’t come and it looked like we’d need to win but Francis danced through to give us the lead at last in the 50th minute. He set up Mol later but as it turned out Chelsea snatched 2nd on goals scored anyway.

final29_zpsm1smvzdx.jpg

fix29_zps4u5p6wyv.jpg

Noooooooo! I must admit that in the Spring I was pretty confident that we’d go on and make it 3 titles in a row, especially as we quickly left Chelsea far behind but Tottenham stayed with us and then things really fell apart. I had a sense of foreboding when Linias went off injured (right before he was set to break the record for goals in a season) but didn’t expect pretty much everything to go wrong from there. We had that equalizer at Reading that handed the advantage back to Tottenham, a poor defence ruined the ‘keep it tight’ plan in Munich, we were ahead against Tottenham then went down to 10 men, went on to lose and just slipped further out of sight... In terms of players, the defence was badly hit, Yilmaz joined Linias on the sidelines and Ivankov dried up badly. I thought our start to the season was poor but it was nothing like how we finished it, which is a shame because we were so good for so long in between.

In the end I’m not sure it mattered too much. Tottenham were consistent in a way they’d failed to be in the past couple of years and in hindsight we would have found it hard to keep up, let alone get ahead. They’d been one of the top sides for most of the career (aside from a poor spell they recovered from a few years ago) but hadn’t actually won the title despite some close calls so I couldn’t really begrudge them this time, especially after they became the first team in 7 years to do the league double over us. They won fair and square and having burst ahead last season from what was predicted to be a tight race, I could appreciate the brilliance of their doing the same this time.

Next season will be the last of this career (I’m sure at least three of you are curious to find out what I’m doing next), since I don’t think there’s a massive amount to play for on this one. We have a few titles (even if we didn’t get the 3 in a row I was anticipating this season), a European win and while another and a longer run of titles would be nice it’s really not worth ploughing a lot more time to try and achieve, and after next year’s World Cup seems a good finishing point. Incidentally the board have just decided to build a massive new stadium that won’t be finished in time.

Star Player: Yilmaz, Tupazinho and Ivankov had been competing for the same place for years and the sale of the Brazilian was very much the Ukrainian's gain (having previously been officially 3rd choice). He's admittedly helped by his good penalty record (100% success rate from 16 kicks) but it's good to see him star to the extent he promised to when he made such a big impact as an 18yr old new signing.

Ivankov28_zpsho5np01a.jpg

Squad Stats

stats29_zpsxrnevy5w.jpg

Summer 2029

This final pre-season of the career was always going to be a little different. In the past I've been in situations where I've spent big with Ipswich and that's led to situations when I suddenly needed to overhaul the squad but we hadn't been making money for ages and I'd spent all the money we did that, which is why I was focussing on young players (though it wasn't made into a rule set in stone like I was intending to, because it was unnecessary) and had the player search filter set to just 50kpw. It worked very well from a financial point of view and I still managed to build a very good side out of that but it could have been a lot better if I'd let myself push the boat out just a little bit more. Palermo at 25M had been the only player signed for over 16M as well as the only one over (or indeed anywhere near) 100kpw as an initial contract.

Given we had a decent bit of money left and a large budget to work with, I decided to just go for it, even if it meant trying to bring in quite a lot as well. As it happened there was plenty of young talent about to build a new side with if I had been thinking longer-term (and one of the reasons why this is roughly a good time to stop is that a lot of the players who have been around a while are in or approaching their 30's) but I was able to skip those (mostly) and go for serious high-end players, even if it meant pricetags to match. Mendoza was an example of a player I had declined before, having just missed out on getting him for a good price before he signed a proper 'first-team' deal and been put off by his increased value but maybe I could have gone for it given he was nowhere near as expensive as a lot of other potential signings would have been (since even now I certainly wasn't going to be making signings at any price which meant rejecting a number of potential targets). Foguete was another who I'd passed over for price reasons before and certainly wouldn't have bought otherwise. Riedel was a sort of like-for-like replacement for Obradovic and would hopefully provide the good backup for Linias that we really needed while Rodriguez was easily the best value deal and provided much more experience to a young set of full-backs (Nasta aside).

I am obviously hoping to go out with a bang, but the loss of the title to Tottenham last year made that a little less certain. If the signings work out then they certainly have the potential to make a big difference and make this a title-winning season to remember.

Signings

Riedel_zpsd7mtm4jm.jpg

Foguete_zpsdcwa1ixo.jpg

Mendoza_zps99thfizj.jpg

Rodriguez_zpscabjvxrq.jpg

trans29_zps6djqz1f1.jpg

Just as a little bit of trivia for you, we made a profit of over 50M on the players we sold, even though only 2 of them (Andronov and Francis) played much and Obradovic did end up being a bit of a loss. Also, Foguete at 60M is probably the most I've ever paid for a player on FM. I've done 50M a couple of times (once as a part-exchange was was arguably the more expensive transfer) but otherwise I don't often go above 30M with 35-40M being an unofficial upper limit.

Lol at the above - he is ridiculous, as is pretty much all the players you signed this summer.

Well yes, I wasn't going to spend all that money for nothing. As good as Moroni and Palermo are, Mendoza and Foguete are on a different level, ditto for Rodriguez over Estrella/Sobejano at right-back. We should be a real force to be reckoned with thiis year if they work out.

Aug 2029

Reading 2-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Estrella

We looked bright for a bit in the season opener at Reading but then things started to fall apart and we went behind in the 18th minute. They headed in a corner at the start of the second-half but then went a man down and we started to push. Estrella converted a rebound from a Docherty free-kick and we turned up the pressure but were denied a penalty and couldn’t equalize.

Ipswich 2-1 Newcastle (PRM)

Ivankov, Mendoza

We needed to beat Newcastle and took the lead from an Ivankov penalty in the 38th minute. We improved considerably after the break and Linias set up Mendoza for another goal. They scored a penalty of their own and I felt we should have won by a lot more.

Sept 2029

Derby 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Ivankov

Ivankov gave us the lead in the 18th minute at Derby but I was very unhappy at the way we lost possession and allowed them to equalize later in the half and we very much should have got a winner anyway.

Burnley 0-0 Ipswich (PRM)

The trip to promoted Burnley made it 3 away games so far without a win, partly because Linias has really been off-form so far this season but again other players had chances.

Ipswich 1-0 Ajax (CL)

Riedel

Linias was dropped for the first European game against Ajax and Riedel (in his place) gave us the lead in the 7th minute after a great run. It was still disappointing that we failed to get a couple more against a surprisingly poor Ajax (even given the Dutch league isn’t what it once was) side.

Ipswich 1-0 Leeds (PRM)

Riedel

We had lost at home to Leeds twice in a row but that never seemed likely this time as we fully took control. A winner was another matter but near the end of the match, Palermo played in a cross from near the corner and Riedel bundled in. There was still a late scare as they won a stoppage time penalty but hit the post.

Leicester 1-2 (aet) Ipswich (LC R3)

Riedel, Ivankov

We went to Leicester in the League Cup and went behind when a Leicester corner was played to a forward in the box who was free to fire home. Riedel fired home early in the second-half (meaning he was actually beating Linias 3-0 in the same number of games) but then went off injured and we couldn’t find a way through again leading to extra-time. We were actually spared penalties when Ivankov managed to get to a ball that was rolling free into their half take it though the keeper and slot home.

Ipswich 2-0 Tottenham (PRM)

Linias, Foguete

We couldn’t afford to lose more ground to champions and league leaders Tottenham and thankfully rose to the occasion. Linias looked like he might draw a blank for the 7th league game in a row (a dry run I didn’t imagine him hitting until he was dead) but finally opened his account for the season late in the first-half after one of his trademark multi-directional runs. A goal well worth waiting for I feel. We were able to keep on pushing and a Docherty corner was knocked in by Foguete with 15 minutes left. Yilmaz even had a 3rd disallowed as we partly avenged the double defeats we suffered to Spurs last season. Special mention to Franco-American midfielder Shea Pierce.

Oct 2029

Metalurg Donetsk 0-4 Ipswich (CL)

Linias (3), Foguete

We went to Donetsk in the CL, but to play Metalurg, not Shakhtar. Foguete had made a very slow start to his Ipswich career (especially given how much he cost) but he was coming to life now and set up Linias in the 9th minute, before getting his second goal in as many games to put us 2-0 ahead after 15 minutes. Linias got another early in the second-half and Foguete set him up for his hat-trick. It was so nice to see the return of the ‘real’ Linias after his injury at the start of April.

Wolves 0-3 Ipswich (PRM) 900th Ipswich match!!!

Yilmaz (2), Linias

The trip to Wolves was my 900th match in charge at Ipswich and we took the lead from a 20th minute Yilmaz penalty. Palermo played the ball through to Linias who ran diagonally into the box and past the keeper as if he wasn’t there before slotting home another. Linias really didn’t endear himself to the Wolves fans, first fouling the keeper (which actually caused a Sobejano cross-cum-shot to be disallowed!) then getting fouled for another Yilmaz penalty to wrap it up, though the quickly got a consolation.

Ipswich 2-1 Liverpool (PRM)

Foguete, Yilmaz

We had a potentially tricky set of fixtures for the rest of the month, starting at Liverpool and Foguete gave us the lead after a good run in the 14th minute. They had an equalizer disallowed before a penalty allowed us to extend the advantage. They got a goal back with 15 minutes left and threatened afterwards but we had done just enough. Pleasingly, Arsenal dropped points for the first time this season at Leeds so the gap was ‘only’ 5 points.

Galatasaray 0-0 Ipswich (CL)

We went to Galatasaray in the CL and found ourselves back to shooting blanks, not helped by Mendoza going off injured just after his return from another injury from the September internatonal break and Pierce also went off having replaced him, but this was a ‘happy to get a draw’ game anyway so I didn’t mind so much.

Chelsea 0-0 Ipswich (PRM)

We went to Chelsea back in the league and I decided to be more pro-active than usual in this type of game. It nearly paid off but despite some close calls at our end we still got the draw that could be considered reasonable.

Ipswich 3-0 Man City (LC R4)

Pascal, Linias, Pierce

We had multiple home games against Man City with the League Cup first, which proved to be surprisingly easy. Pascal essentially walked in the ball into the net from a corner in the 2nd minute and Linias quickly added another. Pierce even made it 3-0 by half-time as we cruised through.

oct29_zpsiidxp9ol.jpg

cloct29_zpsuimsb5wv.jpg

fixoct29_zpsjrvydjz3.jpg

Well the season really didn't start the way I hoped it would but looking back it wasn't as bad as it felt (not for the first time). In hindsight the laboured Leeds, Ajax and Leicester wins provided a winning run that allowed us to the kick into gear, but we still looked worryingly mediocre up to an including those games. It didn't help that a few teams have made fantastic starts so we still find ourselves some way behind but as the season wears on the early dropped points won't be as much of a problem and we should close up, as is our tradition seemingly. Only twice have we been early front runners and we didn't actually go on to win the title the first time (which was also the first time we were defending the tltle), and if things had worked out last season that would have been the 3rd time (out of 4) that we'd been champions after a slow start, which is hopefully something we can achieve this time.

The new signings have been a mixed bunch. Mendoza started the best but then got injured on international duty and again on his return, and thankfully Pierce has really shone in his place. Foguete was slow for a while but soon clicked into gear. Riedel of all people seemed the brightest before he got injured and Linias was able to reassert his superiority while Rodriguez has mostly been a fine example of 'a good defender should never be noticed', though like Foguete he didn't have the most convincing of starts.

In other competitions, we have probably the easiest CL group we've ever had and look like sealing a 100% group-topping record (no mean feat given who we've had in the past), while this is the first time in a few years we haven't gone out of the League Cup at the first time of asking. It remains to be seen whether doing well in either cup for the first time in years might be an issue later in the season but it would be nice to try and get one at last. I haven't really got a proper 'wishlist' for this final season but it looks like we'll have some potential things ticked off.

Nov 2029

Ipswich 4-0 Man City (PRM)

Yilmaz, Foguete, Linias, Mol

I was worried Man City would be a lot tougher in the league but Foguete set up Yilmaz in the first minute, then slotted home in the 12th. Yilmaz assisted for Linias just 10 minutes afterwards. I could barely believe what I was seeing. Man City have been perhaps our most feared opponent for so long, dumping us out of the CL depressingly easily twice in succession just a few years ago and here is pretty much the same side being torn apart twice in a row. Mol headed in a corner on the hour mark as we won 4-0. He who laughs last, laughs longest.

Ipswich 4-0 Galatasaray (CL)

Linias (3), Pierce

We battered Galatasaray from the start but with Ajax winning against Metalurg Donetsk we needed a goal and finally got one in the second-half when Nasta crossed the ball to Foguete, who played it to Linias. It stayed at 1-0 for ages but Yilmaz set up Linias for 2-0 in the 78th minute. The Argentine then set up Pierce to fire home (though it took him 2 attempts) before firing home again and he finished things off with a hat-trick.

Ipswich 3-0 Huddersfield (PRM)

Foguete (2), Ivankov

We took the lead against Huddersfield when Leon played in a free-kick for Foguete to head home and extended it when their keeper was an idiot in going way out of his area for a clearance (something Shoretire used to do) leaving the goal free for Ivankov (once he got the ball) to run in and slot home. Leon and Foguete repeated their routine from earlier to finish off a 3-0 win.

Ipswich 3-0 Blackpool (PRM)

Ivankov, Linias, Foguete

Ivankov gave us the lead after 30 seconds against Blackpool, then he set up Linias. Foguete ran through to made it 3-0 after 20 minutes and we didn’t let off for the rest of the game, though there were no more goals.

Hull 1-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Foguete, Riedel, Ivankov

Linias was missing at Hull after a brief knock during the international break but we took the lead from a long Foguete effort that I don’t think he quite meant as a shot. The managed an equalizer in the 73rd minute but then went down to 10 men and we pushed hard, getting our reward when Pierce set up Riedel, and Ivankov even got a 3rd in stoppage time.

Ajax 0-3 Ipswich (CL)

Riedel (3)

We went to Amsterdam knowing we’d seal top spot if we won, and even if we drew we’d almost certainly clinch it at home to Metalurg in the last round. A dull first-half was followed by Pierce getting sent off but Riedel quickly gave us the lead, then Palermo played him through for another. In the last minute they combined again with the Argentine winger putting the ball over the defence for Riedel to latch on to and finish a hat-trick.

Dec 2029

Southampton 3-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Paermo, Yilmaz, Linias

Palermo gave us the lead in the 22nd minute at Southampton but they broke free and equalized past an isolated Colin. Yilmaz restored the lead in the second-half but they equalized again. That was annoying enough but a late penalty gave them the lead. We looked like falling to defeat for the first time since the opening day but Linias gave us an equalizer right at the end. We still couldn’t really afford dropped points at this stage though given the form of our rivals and the gap to be overcome.

Ipswich 0-1 Chelsea (LC QF)

We had Chelsea in the League Cup quarter-final which was a close end-to-end game. Yilmaz came closest to scoring for us when a diving header hit the crossbar but they won it instead with a goal just before half-time.

Ipswich 4-1 Arsenal (PRM)

Linias, Leon, Mol, Ivankov

We needed to try and close in on Arsenal but they ended up being far weaker than I expected. We robbed the defence for Linias to give us the lead in the 14th minute and Leon converted a free-kick after 20. Mol then headed in a Palermo corner to put us 3-0 up at the break. They came out a lot stronger in the second-half and soon got a goal back, but being more cautious didn’t stop us having chances for another which we got from Ivankov eventually. However they were still 3 points ahead of us with a game in hand (with Man Utd also above us) so there was so much more to do to in order to get ahead.

Ipswich 5-1 Metalurg Donetsk (CL)

Ivankov (3), Linias

We had nothing to play for against Metalurg Donetsk which was just as well as we only look the lead before the break when Palermo crossed almost right at the line for Ivankov to tap in. The Ukrainian scored his 100th goal for the club to make it 2-0. We conceded for the first time in the competition this season but Ivankov rifled home again just a few minutes later, something the former Shakhtar player no doubt enjoyed. Linias made it 4-1 and an own-goal wrapped up a win that was never really in doubt.

cldec29_zpsnnfw3cef.jpg

cldec29b_zpsrk4pus52.jpg

West Brom 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Palermo

We struggled for a while against West Brom but Palermo gave us the lead at the end of the first-half. We had bad luck with midfield injuries, Mendoza, Docherty and Pascal having to go off, and would be out for 3-4 months, 2-3 weeks and a week respectively. They equalized with 5 minutes left for what normally would be a reasonable away point, but not with the pressure on at the top like this.

Fulham 2-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias

Fulham was a pretty tough trip and despite a good start we went behind just before half-time. Linias wasted little time equalizing which gave us hope of going on to win, but they retook the lead instead.

Ipswich 4-1 Everton (PRM)

Palermo (2), Linias, Ivankov

We needed some festive cheer against Everton and thankfully managed to step up with Palermo and Linias giving us a 2-0 lead after 14 minutes. They immediately got a goal back but Palermo restored the 2-goal margin in the 52nd minute, then set up Ivankov to finish it off.

Ipswich 1-0 Man Utd (PRM)

Mol

We managed to follow it up with a critical win against potential title-rivals Man Utd, with Mol getting onto the end of a Palermo free-kick in the 27th minute. I was surprised how little they threatened but that was just as well as they remained a point ahead (and Arsenal were way ahead of that) so we needed the win to keep pace.

dec29_zpsmjeticlr.jpg

fixdec29_zpstvodoyps.jpg

Wow, Arsenal are proving hard to beat at the top! Our form throughout Autumn has been very strong indeed, including beating Arsenal (and everyone else) comfortably in the big home games but the handful of dropped points are enough to leave us far behind. We just have to keep it going and hope we can close in, though we've used up our home games against our rivals which might count against us when it matters. However our excellent home form against the top teams may still be useful in the CL. We face Monaco for the 4th time as part of an interesting draw when you see who the group winners and runners up were.

Just caught up with the previous season and this. Geez, you've done so well to bring up Ipswich over the years to this level, but it's hard to find the consistency to stay there at the top isn't it. Very close effort last year, this year it looks like Europe's going very smoothly, and the Premiership's not far off but that little extra edge is lacking again.

Hard to do much better in the CL at this point. You've really got the defense sorted it seems.
Just caught up with the previous season and this. Geez, you've done so well to bring up Ipswich over the years to this level, but it's hard to find the consistency to stay there at the top isn't it. Very close effort last year, this year it looks like Europe's going very smoothly, and the Premiership's not far off but that little extra edge is lacking again.

Well we do seem to ace the earlier stages of the Champions League every year (usually including the first knockout round) and this group in particular was an admittedly weak one. I must admit we thought we had that consistency last year and were on for a 3rd league win before our title challenge completely fell apart, which is was why that was pretty much when I decided I'd finish the career off at the end of this season. Our edge is fine, it's Arsenal's exceptional form that's the problem ;)

Jan 2030

Newcastle 2-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias

We started the new year with a tough game at Newcastle, and I was relieved when Linias slotted home in the 52nd minute. He nearly did it again which proved costly as they equalized in the 74th minute, then converted a penalty 5 minutes later. Thankfully Arsenal lost as well or we’d have really been in trouble.

Stoke 2-2 Ipswich (FA R3)

Yilmaz (2)

We went to Stoke in the cup and Foguete set up Yilmaz after 5 minutes, but they go in behind the defence to equalize after half-an-hour. Foguete set off on a great run early in the second-half to set up Yilmaz again but they equalized to force a replay.

Ipswich 3-0 Reading (PRM)

Linias, Leon, Yilmaz

We needed to make the most of a winnable run of game in the league and Linias gave us the led against Reading in the 32nd minute, after a couple more chances he really should have buried, which threatens to become a feature of this season. A Leon header from a Foguete corner made it more comfortable in the second-half, soon followed by a magnificent solo strike from Yilmaz as we firmly avenged our opening day defeat.

Ipswich 3-0 Stoke (FA R3R)

Leon, Linias (2)

We comfortably saw off Stoke in the replay, starting off with a peach of a free-kick from Leon in the 15th minute. Linias struggled to get off a shot before making it 2-0 in the 68th minute and finished it off rather more confidently later on.

Ipswich 2-0 Derby (PRM)

Ivankov, Linias

The game against Derby was a masterclass in missing chances until Ivankov finally fired home after an hour. The result was never in doubt after that with Linias bouncing a header over the keeper for 2-0. Draws for all 3 main rivals helped us a little as well.

Brighton 0-8 Ipswich (FA R4)

Linias (5), Pascal, Foguete, Yilmaz

We went to Brighton in the next round and had little trouble. Linias gave us a 2-0 lead after half-an-hour, though for the first one he held on for the ball for so long and kept changing direction in the penalty area so you wondered when he was finally going to shoot. He then delivered a corner for Pascal to head in and completed a hat-trick. Foguete joined in the fun before half-time. Linias continued to tear them apart in the second half with 2 more goals and an assist for Yilmaz.

Leeds 1-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz (3)

The trip to Leeds saw us face a bit of early pressure before a Yilmaz brace quickly gave us control of the break. They got a goal back just before the half-time whistle but Yilmaz sealed a comfortable win in the second half. Arsenal were definitely slipping as they had dropped a bunch of points this month, finishing off with a defeat at Old Trafford, so the gap was just 4 points now with no more games in hand for them, even if that result kept Man Utd ahead of us as well.

Feb 2030

Ipswich 5-0 Burnley (PRM)

Leon, Yilmaz (3), Foguete

Our strong league run continued against Burnley with Leon giving us the lead in the 15th minute. Foguete set up Yilmaz twice, once in each half and a penalty allowed the French forward to complete a hat-trick. Foguete then deservedly got a goal of his own to finish off a 5-0 win. Again results elsewhere were favourable with Man Utd drawing and Tottenham (just behind us) getting slaughtered but a win for Arsenal meant we didn’t get any closer to the top.

Ipswich 1-0 Yilmaz (PRM)

Yilmaz

Wolves was one of those games where it looked like it would take forever to score but we finally won a penalty after an hour which Yilmaz converted, with the Wolves keeper rooted to the spot, which was enough to close to 2 points of Arsenal.

Tottenham 1-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Yilmaz, Linias

Tottenham was the first of a few tough away games remaining but we wanted to keep up the pressure and were rewarded with a Yilmaz goal in the 12th minute. Linias scored another before half-time allowing us to focus on sitting back and keeping the lead. It didn’t take them long to get a goal back and it looked like it backfired but we got the win that helped put another nail in their hopes of challenging for the title.

Ipswich 0-0 Southampton (FA R5)

We pounded away against Southampton in the FA cup but couldn’t find a way through. An injury to Leon and a sending off for Pierce capped a disappointing day, but at least we hadn’t dropped league points.

Monaco 1-1 Ipswich (CL KO)

Moroni

We finished the month off early in the first leg against Monaco and took the lead from Moroni in the 25th minute, and we looked comfortable until they fired home an equalizer in the 65th minute. We probably would still have won if Linias wasn’t having an off-day (which I spotted far too late) but level scores and a goal was never too bad a result in a European knockout first leg away.

Mar 2030

Southampton 0-3 Ipswich (FA R5R)

Foguete, Riedel (2)

The replay at Southampton was played at the end of the international break, meaning a bunch of players were absent on top of a few injuries and Pierce’s suspension but we still managed to take the lead after a few minutes from Foguete. It wasn’t particularly convincing for a while, but Yilmaz pulled the ball back for Riedel to extend the lead early in the second half, and he set the German up again 11 minutes later.

Ipswich 3-0 Chelsea (PRM)

Linias, Ivankov, Pierce

We played Chelsea in the league just a couple of days later. They had been one of our biggest rivals (along with Tottenham) over the past few years but were down in 17th and the only question was whether we’d do enough to get a winner. Foguete crossed for Linias to head home the goal I was after, followed by Ivankov managing to score from a narrow angle and Pierce finished off what was an easy win in the end.

Ipswich 0-0 (a1-1) Monaco (CL KO)

We hoped to convincingly finish Monaco off at home but failed lacked a cutting edge up front. Thankfully the pressure was on them to score given our away a goal and though they did threaten occasionally, 0-0 was enough for us to go through.

Man City 1-0 Ipswich (PRM)

Man City was the first of a couple of potentially tricky away games with a draw in the North London derby having eased the pressure off a little. We failed to take the lead when we had the chance in the early stages and found ourselves going behind. We managed to gather ourselves in the second half but still couldn’t equalize and they even won a late penalty which Colin thankfully saved, not that it made much difference as a run of 7 straight league wins came to an end. Man Utd lost as well at Newcastle so we only lost a single point over Arsenal.

Liverpool 0-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Foguete, Moroni

We managed to get an early goal at Liverpool, from Foguete after 5 minutes. They were shorn of their main attacking threat when we bought Mendoza last summer but they still looked like they might get an equalizer until Moroni put it beyond them by heading in a Docherty corner. The win actually put us top of the league for the first time in about a year but as we had played one game more than our rivals it would only be brief… for now.

Aston Villa 3-1 Ipswich (FA QF)

Ivankov

We went to Aston Villa in the quarter-finals of the FA cup and Ivankov gave us the lead in the 22nd minute. Unfortunately they equalized soon after half-time then Pierce went off injured (and would be out until near the end of the season), forcing me to bring on an unfit Moroni. They fired home another and made it 3-1 from a penalty as we went out under disappointing circumstances.

Ipswich 1-0 Hull (PRM)

Linias

We laboured rather horribly against Hull in the final match of the month, but finally got the goal from Linias. The forward had actually been dropped after another fairly dry run, having only scored twice in the previous 11 games but he headed in a corner to partly redeem himself. The end of the game was rather stressful but it was definitely one to file under ‘just about did enough’. Arsenal drew and Man Utd lost so we now had our noses in front.

mar30_zpso4omn5jo.jpg

fixmar30_zpsyvsyf8gq.jpg

clmar30_zpsq2j3qyll.jpg

I was really worried after the Newcastle defeat at the start of the year. Arsenal were 6-7 points ahead with multiple games in hand but thankfully their invinciblilty ran out and thay started dropping points, along with a few from Man Utd as well allowing us to catch up and edge ahead at this point, but only just. We've definitely got more momentum going into the final stages of the season and after being in a similar position and collapsing last year, hopefully lightning won't strike twice. If we do somehow manage to make it 3 titles in 4 years this could well be the best win of all, not least as a way of crowning the career, precisely because of how much we've still got to fight for it. I should point out that we've still got to go to both Arsenal and Man Utd which is obviously going to be critical. Here are the remaining fixtures...

Ipswich

ipsfix30_zpsb6tvmvni.jpg

Man Utd

manufix30_zpsgeyokclu.jpg

Arsenal

arsfix30_zpsj59uuvek.jpg

Aside from the two away games against our rivals, our remaining fixtures don't look bad at all. Arsenal also have to go to Manchester to face Man City while the trip to Southampton might not be too easy, but otherwise they don't have it that tough either. Man Utd on the other hand do have a tricky run in, though Chelsea are a lot worse this season than usual which potentially makes that game a lot easier and Liverpool may not necessarily be so bad either. In terms of other competitions, we're all in European quarter-finals. In fact they face each other in the Europa League. That means they've played one round more and whoever wins will have more chance of going all the way to the final than we do. Arsenal are also still in the FA Cup, facing a quarter-final replay on top of an further progress they might make.

In the domestic cups, getting to the quarter-finals of both is easily our best performance across both competitions in ages, which is admittedly not saying much as we'd made a habit of going out at the first time of asking of at least one (and often both). I had felt we could challenge for the FA cup this time so going out to Aston Villa (in the Championship) is a minor blow, especially as it looks like this career is heading to an exciting climax and it would have been interesting to be competing on a 3rd front.

Yes we have got Southampton in the Quarter-finals of the Champions League, probably the least likely real life draw the game has thrown up. Obviously we really fancy our chances but the Aston Villa FA cup defeat and really unconvincing way we got past Monaco in the last round (which really should have been a lot more decisive) serve as warnings that we can't get too carried away. That being said, one of their main forward pairing is injured and the other is suspended for the first leg, which helps us a lot. Looking at the teams still in I have to say that Bayern are the only team I'm really worried about (though Chelsea and Tottenham might both be a lot tougher than in the league), and they only beat us as comfortably as they did in the Semis last year because the defence made it far too easy for them in Munich (though on the other hand, the fact that they were able to take it easy at Portman Road after that may have played a part in our home leg win). Maybe we could go all the way? Obviously you can never feel too confident about winning the CL but the opportunity is potentially there, depending on how strongly we manage to finish the season.

I can't believe that by this time tomorrow the season and the career will probably be finished. Hopefully it'll be a memorable ending.

United have a tough run-in! :o

Win your games against them and Arsenal and the title should be yours

I'd be delighted to win one of them, as long as we don't lose the other. We're finally in a position where we just need to keep them behind us, rather than have to really go for it and try and gain the advantage like in the previous big games. Certainly if we're on top (or level) going into the final day the fixture list favours us, and in fact Fulham are the only other opponent outside the bottom 7. However I do remember that often performances can be sub-par in league games before a major European game and if we reach the semi's we'll have 4 of those in the space of about a month so we won't necessarily be storming through the other fixtures.

Quite the finale that's being set up here. Good luck!

Well you're not wrong...

Apr 2030

Ipswich 3-0 Southampton (CL QF)

Linias (2), Ivankov

Southampton wasn’t exactly a glamorous CL draw but they were there for the taking, especially with their main forwards both absent. Sobejano cross for Linias to casually head in after 5 minutes, and though Ivankov had a penalty saved for the first time ever, he received a long clearance from Colin and fired home. Linias made it 3-0 before the break we could have had even more. As it was it was precisely the sort of big win I was hoping to get, giving us one foot in the last 4.

Blackpool 1-3 Ipswich (PRM)

Palermo, Yilmaz, Linias

I was worried that focussing on European games would cost us winnable points in the league but we had no trouble at a Blackpool side who looked down and out, with Palermo giving us the lead in the first minute. Yilmaz gave us a bigger safety margin with a header that the keeper failed to palm over the bar, and Linias got a deserved 3rd, though they got one back late on.

Southampton 2-0 (2-3) Ipswich (CL QF)

Southampton rushed back their previously injured forward for the second-leg and he scored after 5 minutes. Going a man down didn’t stop them threatening and even though we looked better after the break (as an away goal would seal it), they still got another leading to a tense finish. We drew Tottenham in the semi-finals with the winner facing Bayern or Chelsea in the big one.

Arsenal 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Leon

The priority at Arsenal was to keep them behind us, even setting up defend would mean we had a lot to deal with, and there were numerous tense moments around our goal. Snatching the lead would be incredible and that’s what we did early in the second-half when a corner eventually fell to Leon right on the far post. They equalized in the last minute which was the least they deserved but also suited us.

Huddersfield 1-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias, Ivankov

We had a tough time at Huddersfield so I was glad when Pascal delivered a cross for Linias to head in. They equalized at the start of the second-half and I was worried as dropping points would keep us behind Man Utd with our game in hand used up so I was glad a bit of tiki-taka led to Ivankov giving us the win, though it was a close run thing.

Ipswich 1-1 Southampton (PRM)

Moroni

We played Southampton for the 3rd time this month and the 6th time this season and we quickly went behind. I mentioned before about needing to avoid dropping points relative to Man Utd and Moroni equalized in the 56th minute but while we pushed hard for a winner, the closest we got was a disallowed Linias header.

Tottenham 0-2 Ipswich (CL SF)

Yilmaz (2)

We went to a Tottenham side missing a few key players and hoped to take the advantage. We failed to press home our first-half dominance, running up an impressive list of ways to come close to scoring, but Yilmaz was finally played through and was clear to give us the lead in the 66th minute. They threatened for a while but Linias set up Yilmaz again.

Ipswich 2-0 West Brom (PRM)

Foguete, Riedel

West Brom were expected to be beaten comfortably and Foguete gave us the lead in the 28th minute, breaking out of a bad run of form for him. They actually put up a good fight in the first-half but we eventually got another from Riedel, having already had one disallowed and Liverpool beating Man Utd put it back in our hands.

Ipswich 3-1 (5-1) Tottenham (CL SF)

Linias (2), Moroni

The home leg against Tottenham was our 9th match of the month and we hoped to finish them off rather more convincingly than our other knockout ties. It helped that Pascal (who didn’t start) was the only player who was a yellow card away from being suspended for the final, in contrast to the last time we looked like making the final when Docherty was dropped against Zenit for that reason. It was much like the first leg in that we pounded away without enough end product but an uncharacteristic mistake from Docherty helped them run clear and take the lead completely against the run of play. We managed to seize control of the game at last with Linias equalizing right before half-time and Moroni giving us the lead on the night early in the second-half. Linias slotted home again with 5 minutes left as we booked our tickets to Istanbul, where we’d face Bayern as expected.

May 2030

Everton 1-2 Ipswich (PRM)

Ivankov, Moroni

The trip to Everton proved to be a tough one as either side could have had the lead by half-time but it was Ivankov who gave us the lead at the start of the second-half. They equalized after an hour but Moroni managed to give us the win.

Man Utd 1-1 Ipswich (PRM)

Linias

We went to Man Utd in the penultimate match with a 5 point lead over them after they lost at Tottenham in midweek but Arsenal were just 2 points behind and could pounce if it went wrong. We weren’t under anywhere near as much pressure as in the equivalent Arsenal match but still went behind from a penalty and we had to start to push, otherwise Arsenal would go top ahead of the last round of matches. However goal difference would favour us if we got a draw (as well as knock Man Utd out of it) and I was delighted when Ivankov headed a Foguete cross to Linias to get that all important equalizer. The game quietened down somewhat before they gave us a late scare.

Ipswich 4-0 Fulham (PRM)

Linias (2), Ivankov, Moroni

We were at home to Fulham in the final game knowing we just needed to match Arsenal’s result at Southampton, though they could theoretically still be champions if they won by 3 more goals than we did. We had a good start but they then began to really push which got me very nervous indeed. We managed to regain the momentum and got the lead we were hoping for after half an hour when Moroni set up Linias in the penalty area, and the end of the first-half gave us even better news as Arsenal were now behind. Ivankov fired home another followed immediately by Linias running through for 3-0, and I knew the title was ours. Arsenal eventually equalized at Southampton but it was too-little, too-late and Moroni sealed it with a great shot from the edge of the penalty area with 10 minutes left.

final30_zps1trrisg4.jpg

fix30_zps4littpbb.jpg

That was epic! There were so many times over the course of the season when I got very worried: early on; the festive stumble; the Southampton draw which took it out of our hands for a bit; both '6 pointers' when we were under a lot of pressure against Arsenal and went behind against Man Utd; at Huddersfield and Everton (and against various teams before that) where we only narrowly got the wins we needed; even on the final day before we went ahead. The margin of error was always likely to be small, indeed only with Man Utd falling away in the end was there really much of a gap between the 3 challengers, and we just about managed to do enough. This is without a doubt the sweetest title victory of the 4 because of how fantastic the race was and even narrowly missing out would have been no disgrace.

So we finish the career off in style in the CL final. In a way I'm glad it's Bayern instead of Chelsea as though that would have been easier, it would have felt like a minor anticlimax to get yet another English side having faced Southampton and Tottenham. In a way the fact that we have got Bayern, the holders, the team that knocked us out last time, and the team I identified previously would be the toughest opponents, makes it an especially massive occasion. Istanbul's a great venue for it as well. Obviously it would be amazing to cap things of with a CL win, equally obviously it will be a tricky task and even if we lose I won't be too downhearted, as long as it's a proper contest. Amusingly enough their manager is Danny Graham!

Squad Stats

stats30_zpsvyow7ocu.jpg

Champions League Final 2025: Ipswich Town vs Bayern Munich

Road to the Final

Ipswich

cl30a_zpseqjw3hrc.jpg

Bayern Munich

cl30b_zpsgksvskcw.jpg

So to the big one, my 950th and last match in charge of Ipswich, and the 985th of the career. They definitely had the tougher path to the final but it's interesting seeing how similar our knockout paths were. We beat a French side on away goals in the Last 16, won the first leg and lost the second leg in the quarter-finals and won both legs in the semis. In terms of selection, we have a complete squad available while their only major absence is a suspended winger. Our only past encounter was in the semi's last year where we had a terrible night in Munich and lost 3-0, before getting a win at Portman Road, maybe helped by Bayern easing off. Once more into the breach...

Ipswich Line-up:

cl30c_zpsotgkn4on.jpg

Bench:

Shoretire

Pascal

Pierce

Palermo

Sobejano

Pedrinho

Ivankov

Yilmaz, Docherty, Moroni, Nasta, Mol and Leon also started when we won 5 years ago, with Linias having come on as a sub. Shoretire and Pedrinho are the other survivors in the squad from that night.

The match started off quietly, at least as far as chances went, Nasta and Foguete picked up early bookings. The first major attack was ours. Nasta dribbled down the left, played the ball across to Moroni, and the Italian in turn played it to Yilmaz on the edge of the penalty area. Yilmaz ran a short distance towards the goal before slotting home, easy as you please. 1-0 to Ipswich after 24 minutes and I was struck by how simple and routine that goal was. The only real action left in the first-half was a similar move a few minutes later which ended in Yilmaz being brought down (and the culprit getting a booking) with Moroni''s free-kick ending up in the hands of the keeper.

We had a bit of early pressure in the second-half, forcing a corner but thet surprisingly didn't threaten even when they managed to break from that. We extended our lead in the 68th minute when Foguete played a great cross to Linias who charged towards the goal and fired home. They threatened a couple times, and Docherty having to go off after a knock potentially left the door open for them to try but we sealed it in style when Linias ran into the penalty area, wiggled about a little as he sometimes does and powerfully fired home. It was his 40th goal of the season and definitely he'll remember fondly, not least since it allowed him to finish as the joint top scorer in the competition. It also meant that he finally broke Viola's record for most goals scored in a season, having been denied it by his spring injury last season. He also won Best Player and was one of 7 Ipswich players in the Champions League Dream Team Best XI, alongside Docherty, Foguete, Mol, Pedrinho, Nasta and Colin.

cl30d_zpsokpkrty7.jpg

cl30e_zpsxhybbrk0.jpg

I can't believe how easy it was in end, with Bayern barely turning up! Even our comfortable win was more a case of getting the job done reasonably efficiently rather than being that fantastic so I must admit that it does feel a little underwhelming, especially compared to the drama of the penalty win over Barcelona (and indeed of the league campaign) but I hoped to get a more convincing European triumph after that and we very much got it. Despite all that it still feels great to cap things off this way, claiming a second CL crown as well as a hard-fought league title, the 3rd in 4 years. A job well done I'd say.

Shoretire

Lest I forget, with the career coming to a close I decided I could finally let Shoretire go, having been with us almost the entire time. He got given his opportunity early and while he never quite became a top class keeper, he kept his place for a long time with younger keepers snapping at his heels. It ws inevitable that Colin would inevitably succeed where others failed but Shoretire still managed an indian summer a couple of years ago, even if one brief run last season was all the sniff he's had since. I was intending to put him in for the last game but the stakes were too high. I only realized too late that I could have at least put him on at some point in the CL final, which is a shame.

Shoretire30_zpszmvuvb1f.jpg

World Cup 2030

wc30a_zpsfpgjsujd.jpg

wc30b_zpsnvyftcz3.jpg

wc30c_zpspaorl54u.jpg

Only a handful of my World Cup winning Mexico squad are still around 4 years later. This isn't at all surprising given many of the regulars were in or about to hit their 30's and it was always going to be a bit of an international last hurrah for a bunch of players. I counted 6 familiar names this year, though there's also Real Madrid keeper Rivera who was ruled out with an injury when we won. I knew it wouldn't be a spectacular title defence given that and how exceptional it was to win in the first place but it was still disappointing to see a group stage exit. Turkey at least get a happy ending as having lost the last final to a late own-goal, they managed to grab it this year with a goal right at the end of extra-time.

Career Stats

career%20stats_zpsxcqdka8j.jpg

Best XI

best1130_zps4waoskdj.jpg

Career Record

2012-13, Championship, 15th.

2013-14, Championship, 1st!

2014-15, Premier League, 16th.

2015-16, Premier League, 15th.

2016-17, Premier League, 6th.

2017-18, Premier League, 10th.

2018-19, Premier League, 10th, League Cup winners!

2019-20, Premier League, 11th.

2020-21, Premier League, 5th.

2021-22, Premier League, 7th.

2022-23. Premier League, 4th, League Cup winners.

2023-24, Premier League, 1st, double winners!

2024-25, Premier League, 3rd, Champions League winners!

2025-26, Premier League, 3rd.

2026-27, Premier League, 1st!

2027-28, Premier League, 1st!

2028-29, Premier League, 3rd.

2029-30, Premier League, 1st! Champions League winners!

Trophy Cabinet

Championship: 1 (2014)

League Cup: 2 (2019, 2023)

Premier League: 4 (2024, 2027, 2028, 2030)

FA Cup: 1 (2024)

Community Shield: 2 (2024, 2028)

Champions League: 2 (2025, 2030)

CWC: 1 (2025)

Right, here we are at the end of my 5th major FMCU career thread. This one hasn't been on anywhere near the same scale of most of the others and there isn't really a massive amount to recap.

The first season was a slow one before we stormed to promotion. A 6th place finish in our third Premier League season promised much but with the younger players flooding it we ended up having to wait ages of consolidating before we took great leaps forward and got our first title. Despite winning the CL the following year, we struggled to be challengers again but stormed to the title after a few years and didn't really look back, aside from the disaster that was the end of the penultimate season. For the most part we had a good core that stayed together for many years and the fact that a lot of veterans only had a limited amount of time left is one reason why I chose this point to finish, though we had a good bunch of younger players as well who I would probably have been able to use as a base to rebuilt had I continued.

This has by no means been one of my more epic or success-filled, as well as sticking to what for me is definitely familiar territory, but it was decent enough. I did wonder whether starting much lower down (Gillingham being a strong favourite alternative club) would have made for a longer and more interesting adventure but among other things I already had the thread title in mind and it was just too good not to use ;) The trophy cabinet looks fairly light (especially regarding domestic cups), and this Ipswich side wasn't really on the same level as my other top-quality teams from the past (even previous Ipswich teams) but 4 titles and multiple CL wins is still very good and I think I managed to achieve all I was hoping to, even if anticipated it running quite a bit longer as the start.

I've definitely had my fill of Ipswich for a while, and indeed being a major European club with long grueling seasons on a few different fronts so I'm definitely going to have a change of pace in the next career. I've been asked about a potential FM16 career and I've actually had that planned and pretty much raring to go for a while. No doubt it won't be long until I start to miss my successful Ipswich and untouchable status.

Anyway thanks so much to you all for reading and commenting, hopefully you'll join me for my next project as well.

Absolutely! I'd decided this would be the finishing point during the previous season but I think I'd otherwise have chosen to leave it there anyway after that.
Better than I would have managed! The end to my FM10 career still pains me - lost the Champions League final and then got knocked out on penalties in the 2026 World Cup second round....

Good luck for FM16 :thup:

Wow, you breezed past Bayern. Great season!

I almost reloaded because I was disappointed at how easy they made it. Completely tearing an opponent apart is one thing, not needing to bother to do that much to win comfortably isn't anywhere near as exciting :D

Wow, that was a fitting way to end! Congratulations on a great season, and this was a fun career to follow.

Well you were right about managing to win the League and CL in the same year after all ;)

Better than I would have managed! The end to my FM10 career still pains me - lost the Champions League final and then got knocked out on penalties in the 2026 World Cup second round....

Good luck for FM16 :thup:

Thats why I was originally thinking of setting a successful ending point rather that decide on a season in advance. Worked out either way.

Congrats on a fantastic last season mate! Fitting end to a great thread! :thup:

Thanks DB2, it was much a better ending than I'd ever imagined it would be.

Archived