Silly reputation ratings

Why is it that when a club has a takeover there reputation just skyrockets?

I was just browsing in 15/16 season and in the Dutch Eredivisie, FC Dordrecht is the team with the second highest reputation rating in the country.

This after avoiding relegation in the playoffs and standing 16th (of 18) in the league atm. (Their best ever finish was 15th!)

They may have a sugardaddy but with a stadium with 4000 seats, 1500 season ticket holders i doubt their will be big splashes in the transfermarket.

Their best player worth 1,5m euros and as of yet they have invested 2 million in transfers.

I get that their should be a bump in reputation but this is unrealistic.

In real life, Vitesse was taken over a few years ago with a link to chelsea and with the promise they would become champions soon.

Vitesse where also in relegation trouble when there was a takeover but they where a household name in the league, regularly playing european football, with a big stadium, good youth set up and more supporters.

But in reputation they didnt come close to the reputation of the big 3 (Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord).

It is possible of course but it would be nice to see that it would take a bit more effort and gradual improvement to get there.

Instead of having a takeover, not really invest and no significant improvement.

I doubt that it's intentional, if you have a save before the new owners take control of the club it's worth raising this in the bugs forum.

• 2 weeks later...

It's another of those things that isn't really directly comparable in the real world. There, we don't have such a thing as "reputation", at least not as tangible as it is in FM. The bit where you talk about Vitesse is really just a matter of opinion in real life, as we don't have a readily available reputation value to look at. Obviously it's a good example, as Vitesse certainly aren't now bigger than the big clubs in Holland, at least to the casual observer. But it does depend what kind of takeover it is, and in real life there's a lot more colour beyond the three or four options FM has.

I think there always should be a rep bump for a takeover, as to me it makes sense that there should be. It's to what degree it increases that's the question - SI would be able to look at that example and say whether or not it's gone up too much.

One thought linking rep and takeovers though...could the rep increase be artificial in the way that it's only done so that the big players will be attracted to the club? Since rep is such an over-arching concept in FM, maybe there needs to be a kick up in value so that bigger players will be attracted. Thinking out loud here.

I really don't think a takeover in itself should lead to a reputation change. It's the results of the takeover that should. Higher wages means the ability to attract higher rep players, leading (possibly) to better results and higher attendances. That's what reputation is. In real life, good players don't decide to go to a lesser club because they think it suddenly has a higher reputation, but because the higher wages that club is paying now outweigh the clubs low reputation.

Archived