[15.0.2b][TBL 7.3 DB] AI GM struggles to handle cap management

I'm currently 50 hours in and starting my 5th season. I've noticed a lot of players being trade to lower the salary cap. The problem is the AI keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over. Often it's stars being traded and not the usual players you would see being moved.

Example with Chicago(AI controlled) in the span of 4 seasons (I'm using TBL 7.3 Roster):

-SEASON 1 AND 2: Traded Hossa, Keith, Sharp, Seabrook early on to make cap space. (In mostly bad trades)

-SEASON 2: Traded for Ovechkin (since they had big cap space)

-SEASON 3: Traded Ovechkin (to make cap space... You know when your first trio cost 30millions... Good luck having any depth!)

SUMMER SEASON 3: They signed Voracek to a hefty (near 8 millions per year contract)

-SEASON 4: Tried to move Toews. (Without any luck, no one can absorb his 10 millions per year contract.)

It's like they keep trading hefty contract, to then land another big contract (in a separate deal), rinse and repeat.

Weber, Tavares, Giroux, were also traded in the second season (I can't imagine these franchise players ever being traded)

Price, Benn, were not signed and became UFA... Because their team didn't have enough cap space for them. In Real life they would make the space my moving other assets...

To me, it seems the AI GM struggles to manage the cap effectively. Some Franchise player wouldn't be traded in 99% of cases. Especially not for liberating cap...and worst of all repeating the same error again and again until the team is destroyed.

In my saves I have not had any issues with Chicago so far in the first season.

Were they in the playoff race or more like a lottery team?

I don't recall precisely. But I never noticed anything major in the first year, it gets worst and worst (when contracts start expiring).

I noticed, it mostly start getting crazy past the second year...

Chicago currently seem to have this pattern:

1. Trade Expensive Star for picks to make space on the salary cap (often trading the guy brought in at #2)

2. Trade picks and prospects for an Expensive star (Or sign one)...

3. Repeat.

But also, in general, it's like AI GM in most case, cannot make cap space to sign their franchise player:

-Datsyuk, Chara, Tavares, Price, Pacciorrety, Ovechkin, Benn, Keith, Giroux, Weber, Voracek were all traded or unsigned

I know the fact that the salary cap isn't increasing yet, is somewhat related to this.. Still a GM would make space for these kind of players in most cases.

I experienced similar issues as well. Only in second season but Marian Hossa, Derick Brassard, Jason Williams, Mike Richards etc have all been on the waivers without much decline having taken place. Martin St Louis was traded by NY Rangers for almost nothing because of cap issues

I experienced similar issues as well. Only in second season but Marian Hossa, Derick Brassard, Jason Williams, Mike Richards etc have all been on the waivers without much decline having taken place. Martin St Louis was traded by NY Rangers for almost nothing because of cap issues

This is perhaps the best example of the problem. In my 4 games: Martin St.Louis was traded early for mediocre prospect and late draft picks.

It's doesn't make sens that a cup contender team would move one of their best player.

I've seen teams sign and trade for players only to waive them a few days later.

I always notice that!

Also, once I traded Anthony Duclair. Immediately, the other team waived him. He was claim right away (obviously, he was still a potential 1st line forward), only to be waived again.

This went one for about 5 or 6 teams, until I was finally about to win my claim on him.

So basically I managed to get my player back for free, one week after trading him.

Noticed yesterday that a waiver issue also occur when on vacation and assistant takes care of team. I let assistant take care of selection and he waved a defenseman to pull up a forward even though two healthy forwards were already available outside lineup in NHL roster.

Noticed yesterday that a waiver issue also occur when on vacation and assistant takes care of team. I let assistant take care of selection and he waved a defenseman to pull up a forward even though two healthy forwards were already available outside lineup in NHL roster.

If I learned something, after going on vacation a few times is this: Never let your assistant do anything.

Otherwise, he'll start signing and waiving players you don't need.

I tend to stay away from the vacation feature as much as possible.

If I learned something, after going on vacation a few times is this: Never let your assistant do anything.

Otherwise, he'll start signing and waiving players you don't need.

I tend to stay away from the vacation feature as much as possible.

This.

I'm starting to have the issues you wrote on the first post.

I just finished my first season and I'm in summer starting the 2nd and so far D. Backes and P. Kane have both been put on the block (by St. Louis and Chicago).

It doesn't seem very realistic but looking deeply into it, Backes only had 30 points in 70 games (though he has really good attributes).

Archived