frustration

So I posted the other day about how I was frustrated at how difficult I was finding the game and a couple of people suggested I asked for help on here, so here goes...

I'm currently playing as the team I support, Forest, and I sit just outside the playoffs. However, with the squad I have I believe I should be higher up and the reason I'm not is because I'm struggling to break teams down who all come to the city ground and park the bus. My tactic seems to work very well away from home where teams are more adventurous. Here's my tactic:

GK D Darlow

FBR A Brayford

CD D Hobbs

CD C Blackett

FBL S Fox

BWM D Coquelin

W S Antonio

BBM S Cohen

AP A Lansbury (PI get further forward)

W A Sako

AF A Assombalonga

TI's - retain possession, play out of defence, shorter passes, whipped crosses, close down more, stay on feet, lower tempo.

Mentality - usually control but unsure really what is best to use based on strength of oppo.

Shape - structured

Defensively my tactic looks to be working pretty well, I don't concede too many goals from open play. Offensively as mentioned above against defensive teams I really struggle to create good chances and score. Any help/advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Monitor the game early on to see how their defensive line behaves. If they are parking the bus, adjust mentality and bring it down to Standard or Counter, stick on Drop Deeper and Pass Into Space and lose the Close Down More. Maybe set up an identical tactic with those less aggressive settings you can switch to in one click so you don't have to go through all the kerfuffle of the changes.

With your player instructions set them to shorter passing at the back and the GK, tell the midfielders and wingers to dribble less and cross less. Use the wingers more as wide options to stretch the play and give the central players a source of relief if only for the ball to be played back centrally rather than purely crossing outlets.

Seems you already have many of the right TIs selected.

This should create more through ball chances for Assombalonga to get on the end of.

Crossing IMO is often inefficient and inaccurate and also plays right into the hands of teams that sit deep. They will usually have tall slow strong defenders who are adept at pinging crosses away.

BTW Dribble Less is better against deep teams because running at them with the ball is ineffective when they have no space behind them to run into and dribbling at them pushes them back whilst the ball is still ahead of them rather than where you want it - behind them!

You can also try cross from deep on your wide players along with cross less often so that when the opportunity is on (with the opposition out of of position pushed up too far) they will kick those inward-swerving through balls from the flanks very selectively.

With a player like Assombalonga you really want to take advantage of his pace so maximising through balls is the way to go.

Thanks for your comments, appreciated! I'm gonna have another go at it later. Actually after I posted this thread I signed James Wilson on loan from United and switched to a 442 for home games & away games against weaker teams and started scoring a lot more goals.

Since reading these tactical forums in depth I managed to go on a great run with Forest losing just once in my last 18 games of the season, narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, going to tackle the playoffs next time I get on the game. Great stuff.

Since reading these tactical forums in depth I managed to go on a great run with Forest losing just once in my last 18 games of the season, narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, going to tackle the playoffs next time I get on the game. Great stuff.

Awesome to hear! If you ever get stuck again try this: start a tactic from scratch with no instructions. See how the team plays just based on role/duty selection + shape and mentality choices. Then add TI's to further define what you'd like to see. In other words, it can be really helpful to just start from a clean slate.

Awesome to hear! If you ever get stuck again try this: start a tactic from scratch with no instructions. See how the team plays just based on role/duty selection + shape and mentality choices. Then add TI's to further define what you'd like to see. In other words, it can be really helpful to just start from a clean slate.

I may do that on my next save!

Ps won the playoffs with a 1-0 win over Wigan in the final. Just played my first game in the prem and beat Liverpool at home 2-1 :cool:

I'll have to come back to a favourite subject of mine; midfield balance. A midfield partnership of 2, 3 or more central midfielders have many tasks to cover between them, one of the most important ones is a holding role. Your tactic currently has none. A BWM does not cover that task, and neither does a AP or a BBM.

This guide has got - in my opinion - midfield balance, roles, duties, and effective role/duty combinations spot on. It is as if reading one my old football coaching textbooks, only set into a FM context. These 3 pages of text are very educational. And when you're done with that, they cover most other areas of FM playing very well too. In addition to the guides you find in this forum.

Archived