Bringing Up Baby - A Different Approach to The Lisbon Lions Challenge.

Peacemaker7

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 24

It was hard to lift the players, the fans, the staff. It was a summer of utter despair for the club, and I could only wonder what effect such a devastating defeat would have on us in the new season. Yet football brings with it glory and tragedy, and we simply must rise above the Madrid tragedy, and prove that we have what it takes to finally lift that coveted prize.

Two players who wont be helping us though are Scott Gibson and Craig Campbell. Both of these players have refused to sign new contracts. Campbell, who has recieved no interest from other clubs, will remain in the reserves until we either recieve a sensible bid, or he signs a new contract or he leaves. Scott Gibson has already left, in a £750K plus 50% future fee deal to German side Hertha Berlin, and we wish him luck at his new club.

But of course their departures will simply open the door for someone else to make their mark on the team, in what promises to be a season in which we can show great character by bouncing back from cruel defeat. Surely this will be our season.....

Squad 2011-2012

Goalkeepers

Mark Williamson(20) (2 caps). Youth Academy 05. Hasn’t managed to add to his two caps, but another decent season between the sticks. (44 apps, 23 conc, 30 clean sheets, 1 MoM, 6.93) (Overall: 144 apps, 80 conc, 84 clean sheets, 12 MoM, 7.15)

Jimmy Ross(19) ( 3 U-21 caps) Youth Academy 07. Another season where Jimmy found himself filling for a period, and certainly hasn’t done his prospects any harm. (13 apps, 7 conc, 9 clean sheets, 1 MoM, 7.15) (Overall: 30 apps, 19 conc, 17 clean sheets, 4 MoM, 7.00)

John Murray(22) Youth Academy 05. Another season in the reserves, and with young Shearer looking good in the U-19’s, it seems unlikely that John will become a first team regular at Forfar, but I’m sure he can have a decent career with whomever he ends up with.

Kevin Smart (22) (capped at U-21 level) Youth Academy 06. Managed just one appearance last term, which was actually his first in his keeping role for the first team. A keeper who would surely be in any other SPL line up. (Overall: 9 apps, 1 cs, 7.00) (8 as an outfielder)

Defence

Craig Campbell (23) (31 caps, 3 goals) Youth academy 04. Is now starting to think he is too big for the club, and with his contract up at the end of this season, he has so far refused to sign a new one. As a result, he finds himself playing with the reserves. . (50 apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, 7.46) (Overall: 245 apps, 6 goals, 26 assists, 3 MoM, 7.33)

Scott McKeown (17) Youth Academy 09. The refusal of Campbell to sign a new contract opens the way for Scott to step into the first team, and I’m sure he wont let us down.

Robert Hunter (22) (capped at u-21 level) Youth Academy 05. Despite the falling from grace of Campbell, I’m of the opinion that Robert simply isn’t good enough to be a regular, although he remains as a back up. (2 apps, 6.00). (Overall: 47 apps, 3 assists, 6.74)

Paul O'Neill (21) (10 caps, 2 goals) Youth Academy 04. Another good season for the left back. (54 apps, 14 goals, 11 assists, 3 MoM, 7.32) (overall: 209 apps, 34 goals, 31 assists, 7 MoM, 7.20)

David Barker(18) (7 Caps) Youth Academy 07. Completely exonerated by the club for his farcical sending off in the Champions League Final, which ultimately led to our demise. Still only a kid, and could turn out to be the best product from our youth system. (37 apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 7.51) (Overall: 167 apps, 10 goals, 17 assists, 4 MoM, 7.33)

Tony Murphy (17) Youth Academy 09. A good competent season as he has fitted right in beside Barker, and the two have formed a solid defensive partnership. (103 apps, 6 goals, 4 assists, 2 MoM, 7.01)

Pat Kenny (21) (2 U-21 caps) Youth Academy 06. Still very much a fringe player, but with one or two youths looking to come through, Kenny will be struggling to have impact on the first team squad. (7 apps, 6.57) (Overall: 45 apps, 1 assists, 6.42)

Alan Kelly (23) Youth academy 04. Remains a squad player. (5 apps, 1 assist, 7.20) (Overall: 13 apps, 1 assist, 6.54)

Steven Hamilton(20) Youth Academy 07. Possibly forced into first team action too early, he is a player who is probably not going to be quite good enough anyway. (8 apps, 6.38) (Overall: 17 apps, 6.53)

Alan Lynch(19) Youth Academy 07. Managed five appearances this season, but still a long way from being a first team regular.. (5 apps, 7.00) (Overall: 12 apps, 6.83)

Midfield

Kevin McMillan (19) (12 caps, 2 goals) Youth Academy 07. Is wanted by both Betis and Celtic, and as he has a minimum fee release clause, there won’t be much we can do if he decides to leave. I just hope he doesn’t waste his career by moving to a Celtic side who are going nowhere fast. (42 apps, 3 goals, 22 assists, 4 MoM, 7.74) (Overall: 147 apps, 17 goals, 54 assists, 11 MoM, 7.51)

Scott Adams (24) (10 caps, 1 goal) Youth academy 04. Continues to provide quality on the left wing. . (44 apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 3 MoM, 7.55). (Overall: 138 apps, 20 goals, 34 assists, 9 MoM, 7.46)

David Davidson (21) (1 cap) Youth academy 04. The new formation has seen David slip out of favour, and he has admitted he would like to be playing more regularly. Hopefully we can hang on to him, as he is still a very important squad player. (17 apps, 4 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoM 7.06) (Overall: 95 apps, 33 goals, 21 assists, 6 MoM, 7.37)

Peter Martin (22) (capped at U-21 level) Youth Academy 05. Still very much a valuable squad player. (11 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, 7.09) (Overall: 74 apps*, 5 goals*, 6 assists, 2 MoM, 7.14) (*Incudes 8 games and 2 goals on loan at St Mirren in 2007/08)

Ross Kelly (21) (11 U-21 caps) Youth Academy 05. Has managed to find more first team time, and will surely do so more in the future. (29 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 7.17) (Overall: 53 apps, 2goals, 3 assts, 7.13)

Mark Parker (22) (capped at U-21 level) Youth Academy 06. Remains a fringe player. (6 apps, 7.00) (Overall: 77 apps, 4 goals, 7 assists, 5 MoM, 6.83) ( Dundalk record: 62 apps, 4 goals, 6 assists, 5 MoM, 6.79 2007-2009)

Mark Mitchell (19) (2 caps) Youth Academy 07. Another great season for Mark, and he has pushed his way onto the fringes of the full Scotland squad. (46 apps, 12 goals, 5 assists, 4 MoM, 7.59) (Overall: 107 apps, 24 goals, 10 assists, 8 MoM, 7.47)

John Foley (17) (1 U-21 cap) Youth Academy 09. If McMillan leaves, Foley will surely be his natural replacement. (16 apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM 7.31) (overall: 30 apps, 3 goals, 7 assists, 1 MoM, 7.23

Attackers

Alan MacDonald (22) (4 caps) Youth academy 04. Looks like he has found his niche in the team, playing just behind the main two strikers, and has impressed so much, he even made the Scotland squad. (45 apps, 22 goals, 6 assists, 5 MoM, 7.42) (Overall: 211 apps, 73 goals, 44 assists, 14 MoM, 7.12)

Steven Murray(23) (17 caps, 9 goals) Youth academy 04. More misery for Steven as injury saw him miss the Champions League Final. Another decent season though despite his long lay off at the end. (34 apps, 21 goals, 17 assists, 6 MoM, 7.94 ) (Overall: 289 apps, 142 goals, 91 assists, 53 MoM, 7.72)

Scott Craig (17) (2 U-21 caps, 1 goal) Youth Academy 09. Great season for the youngster, which culminated with a brace in the Champions League Final, even if it was to no avail in the end. Winner of the SPFA Young Player of the Year. (43 apps, 25 goals, 21 assists, 12 MoM, 8.05) (Overall: 59 apps, 32 goals, 26 assists, 13 MoM, 7.93)

Stuart Murphy (16) Youth Academy 10. Managed five first team appearances last season, including the Champions League Final. (5 apps, 1 goal, 7.00)

John Ferguson(22) (2 caps) Youth academy 04. Another player wanted by Villarreal, but they will have to offer a decent price if they want him. (27 apps, 10 goals, 4 assists, 2 MoM, 7.44) (Overall: 89 apps, 32 goals, 20 assists, 6 MoM, 7.34)

Andy Fraser (19) Youth Academy 09. Finds himself promoted to the first team squad to replace Gibson.

John Morrison (22) Youth Academy 05 Again only three first team appearances. (3 apps, 6.33) (Overall: 11 apps, 1 goal, 6.55)

Under 19 Squad

Goalkeepers

David Shearer (17) Youth Academy 09.

.Defence

Mark Gray (17) Youth Academy 09.

Declan Lawless (17) Youth Academy 09.

Andy Duncan (17) Youth Academy 09.

Kevin Fraser (17) Youth Academy 09.

Scott Scott (16) Youth Academy 11.

Midfield

Craig Cameron (17) Youth Academy 09.

Gerry Walker (17) Youth Academy 09.

Gordon Paterson (17) Youth Academy 09.

Steven Cameron (17) Youth Academy 09.

John Ross (17) Youth Academy 10.

David Rae (16) Youth Academy 10.

Attackers

Paul Ferguson (17) Youth Academy 10.

Player Who Have Gone To Other Clubs

Scott Gibson (20) ( 8 U-21 cap, 10 goals) Youth Academy 06. Having refused to sign a new contract, we had no option but to accept offers for Scott, and he has gone to German side Hertha Berlin. It will be a huge challenge for the youngster, and we hope he can do himself, and us, proud. (29 apps, 6 goals, 8 assists, 1 MoM, 7.57) (Overall: 118 apps, 45 goals, 38 assists, 11 MoM, 7.61)

Youths who didn't make it

Paul King (19) Youth Academy 09. Has now moved to Irvine Meadow.

Mark Rooney (21) Youth Academy 05. Released and still without a new club.

Alan Mitchell (20) Youth Academy 06. Has joined Threave Rovers.

Gary McMillan (21) Youth Academy 06. Still at Inverurie Loco Works

David Martin (20) Youth academy 07. Failed to make any appearance for Airdrie United last season.

Colin Gray (19) Youth academy 07. Fringe player at Derry City.

Paul Thompson (22) Youth Academy 05. Still at Bathgate Thistle, where he is a regular.

Brian Miller (21) Youth Academy 06. Still at Maryhill, where he had decent enough season.

Andy Russell(19) Youth Academy 07. Has moved to Lossiemouth.

Kevin Scott (22) Youth academy 04. Still plugging away at Benburb.

Peter Breen (22) Youth Academy 05. Continues to be first choice at Derry City, who have just been relegated from the Irish Premiership.

David Black (21) Youth Academy 06. Has managed to become a regular at Cambuslang Rangers.

John Kavanagh (21) Youth Academy 06. Still a Fraserburgh, but surely a league club will pick him up soon.

Gary Dunne (23) Youth academy 04. Still hasn’t found his way back into football yet refuses to give up hope.

John Byrne(24) Youth academy 04. Still plugging away at Pollock.

David O'Reilly (24) Youth academy 04. Still at Buckie Thistle.

Martin Aitken (21) Youth Academy 05. Still at Benburb.

Paul Johnston (22) Youth Academy 06. Is now at Fort William

Coaching Staff

Manager : Billy Buchanan Career: 384 games, 219 wins, 100 draws, 65 defeats, 745 goals scored, 318 goals lost; 4 SPL titles; 2 SFA Cups; 2 League Cups; 1 SFL Division 1 title; 1 SFL Division 2 title; 1 SFL Challenge Cup (Incudes record with England_

Assistant Manager Reserves: William McStay

Assistant Manager U-19’s: Khodadad Azizi

Goalkeeping Coaches: Phil Harrington; Malcolm Thompson

Defensive Coaches: Mark Gavin; Eamonn Bannon; John Philiben; Billy Kirkwood; David O’Neill; David Bowman; John Ritchie

Mid/Attacking Coaches: Chris McAllister; Mark Watson; Craig Kennedy; Karel Lukes; Eddie May; Mario Stanic; Fran; Craig Burley

Physios: Brian McNeill; Alistair MacFie; Hugh Allan; Paul Greene; Jim Peacock; Don Hutchison; Henning Berg; Nuno Capucho; Winston Bogarde; Jerome Morel; Ryan Giggs

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 25

Any thoughts I might have had that the Champions League defeat would affect us adversely were soon swept away, although an early defeat at St Johnstone did sow a few seeds of doubt. Neverthless, that turned out to be our only league defeat before the New Year, and we ended 2011 as we had begun it, top of the SPL. And with a 20 point gap, our 5th successive title already looked to be in the bag.

The League Cup though would not be staying at Station Park, as we bowed out in the Quarter Finals away to Dundee, going down 3-1. It wasn't our best performance of the season, obviously, but as we've always said, this tournament is the least of our priorities and its not a great loss.

The Champions League groups saw us drawn with Real Sociedad, Monaco and Brondby. It was certainly a group we could expect to come through once more, but a first match 2-1 loss on Spain wasn't quite the start we had hoped for. We got back on track though at home to Brondby with a comfortable 2-0 win, and 2-0 up away to Monaco after 15 minutes thanks to a brace from Mark Mitchell things were looking great once more. Monaco though are no mugs, and they came bounding back to grab a draw. Worse news for us was an injury to Mitchell that would keep him out for at least four months.

The home match with the French side started badly as we fell behind to a 34th minute goal, and it was starting to look as if we might not even make the 2nd round if things stayed like this. Of course, things didn't stay like that and on 56 minutes, Scott Adams pulled us level. We weren't playing overly well, but towards the end we did show what we were capable of, and with seven minutes left Steven Murray grabbed a valuable winner.

Our 5th match was the return against Sociedad, and a 29th minute goal from Adams gave us half time lead. Four minutes from half time, the Spanish side recieved a huge blow as they were reduced to 10 men, and we took full advantage as Scott Craig and Steven Murray hit braces each and we strolled to a five nil win. The final group match saw us lose 1-0 in Denmark, but we still ended up group winners on goal difference, and in the last sixteen we will play Shaktar.

Scot Craig's season though was ended on the 3rd of December as a cruciate ligament threatened to rule him out for nine months, but it seems he might well be back in five thanks to an emergancy op. Scott McKeown has come in at right back, and he has done very well indeed, leaving us not missing Craig Campbell at all.

On the International front there was sensational news. Scotland had failed to make Euro 2012, and such was the expectations these days, that George Burley found himself sacked. I imediately resigned from the England side I had guided to Norway, and just a few days later was installed as the new Scotland boss. It may have seemed crazy to some, but this is where I belong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maollelujah:

Are you buying other fabulous youth or are they coming all from your youth academy?

Any who, interesting idea and story.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope haven't bought anyone, apart from bringing a guy back who had left, for four and a half seasons now. The whole squad is 'homegrown', and will remain so at least until we win the CL, although tbh we haven't had that many youths in the past 2 seasons which is mibbe a bit worrying long term.

Thanks for reading icon_smile.gif

I've just started a new game with Hibs and Aberdeen (I like to manage two teams for added spice sometimes!) and decided to give every team in the SPL and Div 1 a youth academy to be fair icon_smile.gif I always try to use the youth when I manage Hibs, but have never made it the foreground aim quite like this icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maollelujah:

I was going to emulate you guys at Swansea, but But I've only got about 5 players in the past few seasons and none of them command a place in the U19s let alone the first team.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah mibbe you don't have a decent academy? Note that I did mention at the very start I had taken the liberty of upgrading the youth facilities. If you look back at players though as they come through, few looked stunningly brilliant tbh, but in playing them they seem to have improved, and I also wonder what part your coaching staff have.

I should also say that I have looked at my squad with CM scout, just to see what was what, and without wishing to spoil the 'mystique', I have one player with a PA above 150 (and thats 155) and the vast majority are 130 and below. So they're decent players, but not world class. I think you just have to take the risk, if a guy has decent key attributes, and hope the rest improve. Its certainly worth it in the long run, as I have to say this is the most enjoyable game of CM I've played since the Jason Young days icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glamdring:

I've just started a new game with Hibs and Aberdeen (I like to manage two teams for added spice sometimes!) and decided to give every team in the SPL and Div 1 a youth academy to be fair icon_smile.gif I always try to use the youth when I manage Hibs, but have never made it the foreground aim quite like this icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, you better hope your fellow LLama's don't read this icon_razz.gif

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 26

Although not mathematically won, it was fair to say that our lead at the top of the SPL was such that it would take a spectacular collapse for us to lose it now. There were one or two dissapointing results, a 1-0 loss at Pittodrie, and a 2-1 defeat at Dens Park. The most dissapointing league result game as we ended up on the wrong side of a 4-2 scoreline at home to Rangers, our first home league defeat in over three years. Yet these were but blips, as we secured a 5th successive SPL title with ease, ending some 32 points clear.

In the Scottish Cup, the one we had missed out on last season, we started off with a 2-1 win over Rangers, and so at least one half of the Old Firm wouldn't make it to this years final. The 4th round saw easily overcome St Mirren away, by four goals to nil and in the Quarter Final, Ayr United couldn't hope to match us, and we eased through 4-1 as we sought to regain the cup.

The Semis Finals were an all northern-eastern affair as Dundee took on League Cup winners Aberdeen, and we would face St Johnstone. The Perth side battled well enough, but goals from McMillan and Ferguson saw us through to a Hampden date with Aberdeen, who beat Dundee 3-1.

And so we arrived at Hampden to take on the League Cup winners, a side though who had only finished 8th in the SPL. Yet they had beaten us this season, and most pundits were predicting that the Dons would lift the trophy for the first time since 1990. Of course we had other ideas, Paul O'Neill and David Barker sending us in two up at half time, and the match was effectively over. Scott Craig grabbed a late third, and the Scottish Cup was ours again.

In Europe though, which was our main target, there was to be huge dissapointment, which overshadowed our league and cup double. We had drawn Shaktar in the 2nd round, and a poor home performance saw us go down by a goal to nil, and we had the proverbial mountain to climb now. Twenty minutes into the second leg, Steven Murray sent us ahead on the night, levelling the tie on aggregate, and a minute from halftime, Declan Lawless added the second that we so desperately needed.

We should have been on easy street now, but careless play allowed the Ukrainians back into the tie five minutes after half time, and now we had a nervy last 40 minutes to get through. Of course, a third goal for us would probably kill the tie, and we created one or two chances to get it. But it never came, and as the match moved into injury time, so Shaktar came forward one last time, and Brovkin thundered home the goal that took Shaktar through, and saw us exit the Champions League. Our dreams were over for another season.....

Final SPL Table 2012

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Inf Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

1st C Forfar 38 29 5 4 90 25 +65 92

2nd Rangers 38 17 8 13 64 52 +12 59

3rd Hearts 38 16 11 11 58 49 +9 59

4th Dundee Utd 38 15 12 11 48 38 +10 57

5th Dundee 38 17 5 16 66 60 +6 56

6th St. Johnstone 38 13 16 9 55 42 +13 55

7th Motherwell 38 16 10 12 65 58 +7 58

8th Aberdeen 38 15 10 13 50 41 +9 55

9th Hibs 38 17 4 17 52 66 -14 55

10th Celtic 38 10 8 20 47 71 -24 38

11th Livingston 38 7 10 21 48 82 -34 31

12th R Ross County 38 3 7 28 26 85 -59 16 </pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

12th R Ross County 38 3 7 28 26 85 -59 16 </pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif They need a new manager icon_razz.gif

Perth? North East? icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

as we secured a 5th successive SPL title with ease, ending some 32 points clear.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But from the league table, you won it by 33 points. icon_biggrin.gif

Unlucky in Europe. icon_frown.gif Good luck for next season

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 27

Another summer passed, and we were able to get away from it all, and look forward to the new season. This would be a big season for me, as I finally got my Scotland career underway with the qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup. We have been drawn in a group with Cyprus, Faroes, Israel, Sweden and Ukraine, which we can certainly come through, but will be far from easy.

On the club front, a fresh batch of youths arrive from the academy to keep the squad fresh, and one or two of them look very promising indeed. We head into the season looking for our 6th successive domestic title, but there is no hiding the fact that our aim this season is to win the Champions League. I'm sure we have what it takes to give it a go.

Squad 2012-2013

Goalkeepers

Mark Williamson(21) (2 caps). Youth Academy 05. Quite a poor season by the standards he has set himself, and will have to be on his toes as the two keepers below him in the pecking order are knocking hard on that door. (52 apps, 39 conc, 26 clean sheets, 1 MoM, 6.62) (Overall: 196 apps, 119 conc, 110 clean sheets, 13 MoM, 7.02)

Jimmy Ross(20) ( 8 U-21 caps) Youth Academy 07. Didn’t manage any starts as Williamson managed to remain uninjured, but will surely push for a regular start soon. (Overall: 30 apps, 19 conc, 17 clean sheets, 4 MoM, 7.00)

David Shearer (18) Youth Academy 09. The highly promising youngster will be on the bench this season, as Jimmy Ross will turn out for the reserves. David is possibly potentially the best keeper at the club, but only time will tell if that is true.

Defence

Craig Campbell (24) (33 caps, 3 goals) Youth academy 04. Spent most of the season in the reserves, which seriously affected his Scotland place. Finally signed a new contract towards the end of the season, but will have a tough job regaining his place in the side. (16 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, 7.00) (Overall: 261 apps, 7 goals, 27 assists, 3 MoM, 7.31)

Scott McKeown (18) Youth Academy 09. Came into the breach for Campbell and as predicted had a very good season, and will start as the No1 right back. (44 apps, 5 assists, 7.14)

Robert Hunter (23) (capped at u-21 level) Youth Academy 05 Again only managed two first team appearances, but seems to content to get paid for nothing. (2 apps, 6.50). (Overall: 49 apps, 3 assists, 6.73)

Paul O'Neill (22) (13 caps, 3 goals) Youth Academy 04. Continues to be the number one left back, penalty taker and dead ball expert. (44 apps, 10 goals, 10 assists, 1 MoM, 7.41) (overall: 253 apps, 44 goals, 41 assists, 8 MoM, 7.24)

David Barker(19) (10 Caps) Youth Academy 07. Is developing into an outstanding central defender, and will go on to big things, and gain many caps.. (44 apps, 4 goals, 5 assists, 7.32) (Overall: 211 apps, 14 goals, 22 assists, 4 MoM, 7.33)

Tony Murphy (18) Youth Academy 09. Another excellent season for Murphy, and he has to be at his best with Declan Lawless pushing hard to dislodge him. (36 apps, 2 goals, 7.28) (Overall:139 apps, 8 goals, 4 assists, 2 MoM, 7.08)

Declan Lawless (18) Youth Academy 09. Pushed his way into the first team, and looks to be a player with some potential. Will be hoping to dislodge Murphy, and form a partnership with Barker. It’s a good thing to have competition. (30 apps, 4 goals, 1 MoM, 7.20)

Pat Kenny (22) (2 U-21 caps) Youth Academy 06. With only 2 sub appearances, Pat is surely on his way out, and any offers will be accepted. (2 apps, 6.00) (Overall: 47 apps, 1 assists, 6.40)

Alan Kelly (24) Youth academy 04. Has failed to make much of an impact, and finds himself transfer listed. (5 apps, 6.00) (Overall: 18 apps, 1 assist, 6.39)

Steven Hamilton(21) Youth Academy 07. Only three sub appearances, another player who will probably be on the way out soon if the new batch of youth produce anything remotely decent. (3 apps, 7.00) (Overall: 20 apps, 6.60)

Alan Lynch(20) Youth Academy 07. Another player who finds himself on the transfer list. (2 apps, 6.00) (Overall: 14 apps, 6.71)

Midfield

Kevin McMillan (20) (14 caps, 2 goals) Youth Academy 07. Turning into a superb young winger. We have already had a bid of £1.5M from Milan hat we felt simply wasn’t high enough, but with Juve also now sniffing around, it wont be long until Kevin moves, and although it will be sad to see him go in one way, in other it will be fantastic to see him ply his skills in Serie A. (48 apps, 9 goals, 14 assists, 4 MoM, 7.69) (Overall: 195 apps, 26 goals, 68 assists, 15 MoM, 7.55)

Scott Adams (25) (12 caps, 1 goal) Youth academy 04. Another great season for Scot, in many ways his best yet. (46 apps, 7 goals, 24 assists, 2 MoM, 7.70). (Overall: 184 apps, 27 goals, 58 assists, 11 MoM, 7.52)

David Davidson (22) (2 caps) Youth academy 04. Perhaps hasn’t played as often as he would have liked, but is totally devoted to the club, and has declared that he would happily spend his whole career here.. (28 apps, 3 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM 7.18) (Overall: 123 apps, 36 goals, 25 assists, 7 MoM, 7.33)

Peter Martin (23) (capped at U-21 level) Youth Academy 05. With his contract now unprotected, and refusing to sign a new one, if anyone comes in for Peter he can leave. (7 apps, 2 assists, 7.00) (Overall: 81 apps*, 5 goals*, 8 assists, 2 MoM, 7.12) (*Incudes 8 games and 2 goals on loan at St Mirren in 2007/08)

Ross Kelly (22) (Capped at u-21 level) Youth Academy 05. Despite being a fairly talented player, he remains as a squad player, although of course a very import one. (20 apps, 3 assists, 6.90) (Overall: 73 apps, 2 goals, 6 assts, 7.07)

Mark Parker (23) (capped at U-21 level) Youth Academy 06. Another player whose contract is unprotected, and he can leave cos he won’t be missed really. (5 apps, 6.80) (Overall: 82 apps, 4 goals, 7 assists, 5 MoM, 6.83) ( Dundalk record: 62 apps, 4 goals, 6 assists, 5 MoM, 6.79 2007-2009)

Mark Mitchell (20) (3 caps) Youth Academy 07. Contract is up at the end of the season, and if he doesn’t sign a new one soon, he’ll be playing in the reserves . (27 apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, 2 MoM, 7.48) (Overall: 134 apps, 30 goals, 11 assists, 10 MoM, 7.47)

John Foley (18) (6 U-21 caps, 2 goals) Youth Academy 09. The promising young winger is still waiting for one of the players above him in the pecking order to leave, so that he can command a regular place. (7 apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, 7.71) (overall: 37 apps, 5 goals, 10 assists, 1 MoM, 7.32

John Ross (18) Youth Academy 10. Finds himself on the fringes of the first team, with four appearances. Looks as if he could be an ok player. (4 apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM 7.50) (Overall: 7 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, 7.14)

Attackers

Alan MacDonald (23) (4 caps) Youth academy 04. Still revelling in his role through the middle, Alan just proves what a slight change of position can do for a player. (50 apps, 12 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoM, 7.26) (Overall: 261 apps, 85 goals, 46 assists, 17 MoM, 7.15)

Steven Murray(24) (17 caps, 9 goals) Youth academy 04. Voted the fans player of the year, Steven recorded his 2nd highest goals total with the club. Yet after 14 league matches, he had only found the net once. Its this anomaly that leave him short of being a truly great striker. He also becomes the first of my youths to reach the 300 game mark. (52 apps, 29 goals, 21 assists, 11 MoM, 7.88 ) (Overall: 341 apps, 171 goals, 111 assists, 63 MoM, 7.74)

Scott Craig (18) (1 cap, 1 goal) Youth Academy 09. The youngster had an explosive start to the season, before injury put him out for five months. Made it back for the cup final, and managed an impressive goals to games ratio. (19 apps, 15 goals, 8 assists, 7 MoM, 8.32) (Overall: 78 apps, 47 goals, 34 assists, 20 MoM, 8.03)

John Ferguson(23) (3 caps, 1 goal) Youth academy 04. His versatility saw John gain quite a decent run in the team. (34 apps, 13 goals, 8 assists, 3 MoM, 7.53) (Overall: 123 apps, 45 goals, 28 assists, 9 MoM, 7.39)

Andy Fraser (20) Youth Academy 09. Only managed 5 appearances, a player on the fringes who can go either way. (5 apps, 2 goals, 7.00)

John Morrison (23) Youth Academy 05. Made no appearances last season at all, and finds himself transfer listed. (Overall: 11 apps, 1 goal, 6.55)

Under 19 Squad

Goalkeepers

Peter Kelly (15) Youth Academy 12.

.Defence

Mark Gray (18) Youth Academy 09.

Andy Duncan (18) Youth Academy 09.

Kevin Fraser (18) Youth Academy 09.

Peter Kelly (14) Youth Academy 12.

Gary Cronin (15) Youth Academy 12.

Alex Lynch (15) Youth Academy 12.

David MacKenzie (16) Youth Academy 12.

David Davidson (14) Youth Academy 12.

Graham Wilson (15) Youth Academy 12.

Midfield

Craig Cameron (18) Youth Academy 09.

Gordon Paterson (18) Youth Academy 09.

Steven Cameron (18) Youth Academy 09.

David Rae (17) Youth Academy 10.

Craig Strain (14) Youth Academy 12.

Mark McDonald (15) Youth Academy 12.

Attackers

Stuart Murphy (16) Youth Academy 10 Despite gaining a few more first team appearances, Stuart is back in the u19’s as we don’t want to push him too much. (11 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 MoM 6.91) (Overall: 16 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, 6.94)

Paul Ferguson (18) Youth Academy 10.

Paul Gibson (16) Youth Academy 12.

John Davidson (16) Youth Academy 12.

John Young (15) Youth Academy 12.

Craig Cowie (15) Youth Academy 12.

Graham Wilson (17) Youth Academy 12.

Player Who Have Gone To Other Clubs

Scott Gibson (21) ( 1 cap) Youth Academy 06. Only managed 6 appearances for Hertha, but scored four times. (Overall: 118 apps, 45 goals, 38 assists, 11 MoM, 7.61)

Kevin Smart (23) (capped at U-21 level) Youth Academy 06. Left during the season to join Abderdeen in a £250,000 deal, and became their regular keeper.

John Murray(23) Youth Academy 05. Made a £250,000 summer move to Aberdeen, where he joins Kevin Smart.

Youths who didn't make it

Scott Scott (17) Youth Academy 11. Failed to make the grade and has been released, and is without a club.

Gerry Walker (19) Youth Academy 09. Another player who has been released, and is without a club

Paul King (20) Youth Academy 09. Remains at Irvine Meadow.

Mark Rooney (22) Youth Academy 05. Released and still without a new club.

Alan Mitchell (21) Youth Academy 06. Remains at Threave Rovers.

Gary McMillan (22) Youth Academy 06. Still at Inverurie Loco Works

David Martin (21) Youth academy 07. Managed 11 appearances for Airdrie United last season.

Colin Gray (20) Youth academy 07. Still a fringe player at Derry City.

Paul Thompson (23) Youth Academy 05. Still at Bathgate Thistle, where he is a regular.

Brian Miller (22) Youth Academy 06. Still at Maryhill.

Andy Russell(20) Youth Academy 07. Still at Lossiemouth.

Kevin Scott (23) Youth academy 04. Still plugging away at Benburb.

Peter Breen (23) Youth Academy 05. Was a bit player at Derry City as they regained promotion.

David Black (22) Youth Academy 06. Still at Cambuslang.

John Kavanagh (22) Youth Academy 06. Still a Fraserburgh.

Gary Dunne (24) Youth academy 04. Still hasn’t found his way back into football yet refuses to give up hope.

John Byrne(25) Youth academy 04. Still plugging away at Pollock.

David O'Reilly (25) Youth academy 04. Still at Buckie Thistle.

Martin Aitken (22) Youth Academy 05. Still at Benburb.

Paul Johnston (23) Youth Academy 06. Is now at Wick Academy.

Coaching Staff

Manager : Billy Buchanan Career: 438 games, 258 wins, 107 draws, 73 defeats, 869 goals scored, 357 goals lost; 5 SPL titles; 3 SFA Cups; 2 League Cups; 1 SFL Division 1 title; 1 SFL Division 2 title; 1 SFL Challenge Cup (Incudes record with England & Scotland)

Assistant Manager Reserves: William McStay

Assistant Manager U-19’s: Khodadad Azizi

Goalkeeping Coaches: Phil Harrington; Malcolm Thompson

Defensive Coaches: Fred Davis, Michael Reiziger, Mariano Flores, Boudewijn Zenden, Rudiger Vollborn

Mid/Attacking Coaches: John Philiben, Mario Stanic, David Bowman, John Ritchie, Fran, Billy Kirkwood, Craig Burley, Augustine

Youth Team Coaches: Eamonn Bannon, John Brown, Steve Walford, Billy Davies

Physios: Brian McNeill; Alistair MacFie; Hugh Allan; Paul Greene; Jim Peacock; Don Hutchison; Henning Berg; Nuno Capucho; Winston Bogarde; Jerome Morel; Ryan Giggs

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 28

With Rangers having revived themselves a bit last season, and ending 2nd, perhaps we could find ourselves with a bit of a challenge as we looked to win an incredible 6th successive SPL title. Then again, perhaps I was totally wrong in that assumption, as once again we reached the New Year unbeaten domestically, our only blemish being a 0-0 draw at home to Aberdeen on the 1st of September.

With 20 games having been played, just over the halfway stage, we had won 19 and drawn one, and had 58 points, exactly double that of 2nd placed Hearts. It seems the title race is already over, and with a place in the Semi Finals of the League Cup against Dundee booked, it might well be we are on course for the domestic treble.

We have had some pretty outstanding results in the last few years, but few could have matched the performance we put in against Bayern as we trounced them 6-0 in Germany on our way to once more reaching the last 16 of the Champions League. A 1-0 loss in Denmark to Copenhagen, and 1-1 home draw against Bayern ensured we would be far from overconfident, as we await a tough tie against legendary Portuguese side, Benfica.

On the Scotland front, the World Cup Qualifying got underway, and the press seemed rather put out when I named 17 current Forfar players in my squad to face Faroe's and Cyprus. But let's face it, we're so far ahead of the SPL, how on earth can we pick anyone else?

The Faroe's match in Torshavn was a bit edgy, as the home side simply put up a brick wall and asked us to break it down. After 16 minutes, Alan MacDonald did just that, and two minutes from halftime, Steven Murray added a second. We were cruising now and probably should have had more, but it took until the 90th minute before Scott Gibson added a 3rd. A nice easy start.

Cyprus became the first team to play us at Hampden under my charge, Steven Murray opening the scoring after 32 minutes. One minute after the break, Scott Craig made it 2-0, MacDonald added a third on the hour, and then a minute from time Craog made it four, and we had the six points everyone fully expected us to have.

The trip to the Ukraine should have been one of our hardest matches in the group. Until the Ukraine team was announced, and Andriy Shevchenko was playing....... in goal. Exactly why the Ukranians had no recognized goal keeper in their squad was a mystery, but after six minutes they were left realizing just why we have these specialist players as Adams and Craig had us two ahead and coasting. Another from Craig, plus goals from Barker and Murray sent us in a sensational five up at the break, but it took till three minutes from time before MacDonald finally added a 6th.

How They Played:

versus Faroes (away): David Shearer 7; Scott McKeown 8, Declan Lawless 7, David Barker 8, Paul O'Neill 8; Kevin McMillan 7, David Davidson 8, Scott Adams 10; Scott Craig 7, Alan MacDonald 8, Steven Murray 9 Subs: Scott Gibson (for Scott Craig 61) 8

versus Cyprus (home): David Shearer 7; Scott McKeown 7, Declan Lawless 7, David Barker 7, Paul O'Neill 7; Kevin McMillan 7, David Davidson 8, Scott Adams 8; Scott Craig 10, Alan MacDonald 7, Steven Murray 9 Subs: John Foley (for Kevin McMillan, 73) 7, Ross Kelly (for David Davidson, 73) 7, Craig Campbell (for Scott McKeown, 73) 7

versus Ukraine (away): David Shearer 7; Scott McKeown 7, Declan Lawless 7, David Barker 9, Paul O'Neill 8; Kevin McMillan 7, David Davidson 7, Scott Adams 9; Scott Craig 9, Alan MacDonald 8, Steven Murray 7 Subs: John Foley (for Kevin McMillan, 56) 7, Ross Kelly (for David Davidson, 56) 7, Tony Murphy (for Declan Lawless, 56) 7

One thing I'm finding disappointing in CM is the AI this far into the game. Once you have established yourself with a good team at the top of the SPL it's a walk in the park every season ("you" as in collective you!). Seems the AI teams just offer no challenge at all icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoS:

how was it that you got the names to actually sound realistic?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm because I've patched it?

Jai: Yes, well that is part of the plan. icon_rolleyes.gif

Glam: Yeah its annoying. I don't mind winning, but it would be nice to have a little challenge now and then!

This story has inspired me to do somthing simlar but with a welsh team........thinking of putting Ruthin Town (thats where i live) in to the welsh prem and bring the youth through........and win the champions leauge (dont laugh....it might be possible)

keep the updates coming as it is a great read icon14.gif

Yes to be fair, I think you do need a decent academy. You also need a lot of patience and the ability to say goodbye to players who don't make it. That can be a hard part, as can losing 'stars' but so far I've been very lucky in that area tbh.

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 29

Our dominance domestically continued, and was so great that we had actually wrapped up our 6th successive title before we had played the League Cup Final. In situations like this, I'm often tempted to say, ok we'll forfeit the remaining games becuase we've won the League anyway. But of course, they wouldn't let us do that.So we simply had to show them that such an idea was silly, and we do so by remaining unbeaten in the League, ending with 33 wins and 5 draws. Perhaps next season we'll try and win them all!

In the League Cup, a 2-0 win over Dundee in the Semi Final saw us through to a final against Kilmarnock. By this point, we were already SPL Champions, and although not a great performance from us, an own goal from Killie's Graeme Hutchison and fine strike from our own Steven Murray gave us the 2nd leg of the domestic treble, and we had hardly broken sweat.

In the Scottish Cup, we reached the semis easily, by overcoming Brechin, Raith Rovers and Dunfermline, and once again our opponents would be Dundee. A Steven Murray hattrick ensured that there would be no joy for our local neighbours, and goals from Craig and Adams saw us romp to a 5-0 win, and place for in the final against Aberdeen for the second successive season. The final turned out to be a very one sided affair, Aberdeen managed only one shot on goal in the entire 90 minutes. Goals from Scott Craig, his 41st of the season, on 37 minutes, and second from Steven Murray 19 minutes from the end saw not only complete our second domestic treble, the other being in 2009, but we had also gone the whole season unbeaten domestically. A pretty sensational achievement.

But of course, the center of our world this season is the Champions League, and our journey to the field of dreams continued as we went to Lisbon to play Benfica. After 24 minutes, Murray and MacDonald had us 2-0 ahead and we were in for a fantastic result. Benfica though as no mugs, and goals from Mantorras and Tiago gained them a draw, but even so a good result for us, and we should have enough to win the home leg.

Yet if we had any illusions that this was going to be easy, we were soon disabused of those as the Portuguese giants started brightly. After 29 minutes though, they recieved a huge blow as Mantorras was red carded, and three minutes later SCott Craig sent us ahead on the night. It was a tough and hard fought match, but a goal from Scott Adams eight minutes from the end finally killed Benfica off, and we were through to a Quarter Final meeting with Real Sociedad.

The first leg away again, and after 39 minutes Scott Craig sent us into the lead to stun the Spanish side. Just after the hour we had a penalty, and Paul O'Neill rarely misses these, and he didn't miss this one. Yet Sociedad are also a decent side, and seven minute later Roque Santa Cruz gave them a lifeline. But it was a lifeline they couldn't take as furhter goals from Murray and MacDonald saw us sweep to a sensational 4-1 win, and the 2nd leg was now surely a formality. And despite Sociedad taking the lead after just 16 minutes, another penalty from O'Neill and a great strike from Adams saw us win 2-1 on the night, and 6-2 on aggregate. The semi final would see us play Bayern Munich.

We had already played Bayern eight times in European adventures, including of course the 2010 Champions League Final. Of those eight matches, five had ended in draws, although of course we did lose one of those draws on a penalty shoot out, and we had won the other three. This was bound to be two great matches, and once again we had the away leg first, which seems to suit us.

Twenty five minutes into the match, we had a penalty, which Paul O'Neill slotted home and we were ahead once more in Munich. Bayern though wanted this title as much as we did, and four minutes after the break they were level through Rau. The match was end to end stuff, and on 66 minutes Bayern were ahead, a fantastic strike from Michael Ballack that had the whole crowd gasping in admiration. Three minutes later though, they were gasping in pain as Steven Murray levelled the match, and in injury time Scott Craig scored what could well be the most important goal of his career.

The game was far from over, but of course Bayern needed to win by two clear goals, or win by 4-3 or more. It was tight game, but right on half time, Paul O'Neill scored a 4th successive penalty in European competition and that was enough to see us through to our third Champions League Final.

Our opponents this time, in a match that will be play at Old Trafford, are Dinamo Kiev, and althought the bookies have the Ukranians as favourites, I can't help feeling that surely, surely this is our chance to finally become the best team in Europe.....

Final SPL Table, 2013

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1st C Forfar 38 33 5 0 101 15 +86 104

2nd Dundee Utd 38 15 13 10 44 39 +5 58

3rd Aberdeen 38 13 12 13 49 44 +5 51

4th Dundee 38 14 9 15 63 66 -3 51

5th Hearts 38 14 8 16 67 58 +9 50

6th Celtic 38 14 7 17 53 60 -7 49

7th Hibs 38 16 5 17 60 59 +1 53

8th St. Johnstone 38 11 12 15 45 46 -1 45

9th Motherwell 38 12 7 19 56 77 -21 43

10th Rangers 38 12 7 19 56 79 -23 43

11th Kilmarnock 38 11 9 18 58 80 -22 42

12th R Livingston 38 10 12 16 40 69 -29 42

</pre>

The Billy Buchanan Diaries - 30

For Scotland, we had two more World Cup Qualifiers during the course of the season. After our superb triumph against goalkeeperless Ukraine, we returned to Hampden to face group favourites Sweden. Once more the press were whining about too many Forfar players, but in my opinion this is a good thing for the national side as it allowed greater consistancy.

We expected a tough match against Sweden, and although nothing concrete would be decided here, a win for us would put us in a very good position indeed. Just four minutes into the game we had the lead, through Steven Murray, and two minutes later a scorcher from David Davidson made it two, and Sweden were reeling. Only another five minutes had passed when Scott Adams added a third and it looked as if we might get a cricket score.

But football is rarely like that, and by half time it was still three nil. Three minutes after the break though, we had our fourth thanks to Scott Craig and although Ibrahimovic scored for the Swedes on 50, we were never in any danger. Eighteen minutes from time, Steven Murray completed the scoring, and we had made everyone sit up and take notice.

Many people now expected us to travel to Israel for the match that would bring us halfway to qualifying, and win easily. But the Israeli's are a tough team to break down, especially at home, and by half time there was still no scoring. It seemed only a matter of time though, and sure enough four minutes after the restart, Scott Craig got what turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Five games, five wins, and if we can keep this kind of form up, then the World Cup Finals are beckoning once more.

How They Played

versus Sweden (home) David Shearer 6; Scott McKeown 7, Declan Lawless 8, David Barker 8, Paul O'Neill 8; Kevin McMillan 7, David Davidson 8, Scott Adams 8; Scott Craig 9, Alan MacDonald 8, Steven Murray 9 Subs: John Ferguson (for Alan MacDonald, 53) 7, John Foley (for Scott Adams, 53) 7, Ross Kelly (for David Davidson, 53) 8.

versus Israel (away) David Shearer 8; Scott McKeown 7, Declan Lawless 8, David Barker 7, Paul O'Neill 7; Kevin McMillan 8, David Davidson 7, Scott Adams 8; Scott Craig 8, Alan MacDonald 7, Steven Murray 8 Subs: John Foley (for Alan MacDonald (inj), 62) 7, John Ferguson (for Steven Murray, 70) 7

The UEFA Champions League Final

Dinamo Kiev versus Forfar Athletic

Wednesday 29th May 2013

Old Trafford, Manchester (37,834)

For the third time then, we had reached the Final of the most prestigious club tournament in the World. Twice before we had been left bitterly dissapointed, but surely, despite the bookies making Kiev favourites, tonight would be our night. Apart from the fact that in my opinion we were the better team, we would also have the bulk of the support at a far from sold out Old Trafford. Over 25,000 Forfar tickets were sold, but it seems few from the Ukraine could travel to this game, and we intend to make the ones that did wish they hadn't bothered.

Kiev's route to the Final has been far from impressive. In the group stages they were in with Arsenal, whom they lost to home and away, Partizan Belgrade, with whom they drew 0-0 away, winning 5-1 at home, and MTK Hungaria, again drawing 0-0 away and winning 2-0 at home. Their second round performance against Celta was their most impressive, as they won home and away for a 5-0 aggregate, before overcoming Chelsea, then Stuttgart both on penalty shoot outs. They have an ageing team, and I think they will find it tough to live with our youngsters.

Yet of course we cannot afford to be complacement. We have had a quite brilliant season, winning the domestic treble unbeaten, and indeed we have only lost one match all season, and that was in Copenhagen. There are few teams anywhere, at any time who can boast such a record. Yet it will all be in vain if we fail to win tonight. Therefore, we simply can't fail. Winning tonight would make us the stuff of legends, a team not only of all Scots, but also for the large part born and raised around the Forfar area. It would be such an inredible feat, that I think we would be the greatest club side of all time. And the team is still very young, its frightening what we can achieve here. We have only one change to our regular line up, as Scott Adams is suspended, but John Foley is a more than adequate back up.

Come on kids, we have the opportunity to be legends, and you know what they say, third time lucky!

The Line Ups

Kiev: (5-3-2) Maciej Nalepa (35); Volodymyr Kryvosheev (24), Sergiy Federov (38), Goran Gavrancic (34), Matteo Mariotti (27), Andriy Nesmachnyi (34); Georgi Peev (34), Yuriy Bakum (21), Badr El Kadouri (32); Artem Milevskiy (28), Oleg Venglinskyi (35) Subs: Andriy Kovalenko (GK) (28), Michael Keane (16), Volodymyr Kretov (23), Olexandr Yatsenko (28), Oleg Mazur (19), Olexandr Petrov (16), Kenji Tanaka (21)

Forfar: (4-3-3) David Shearer (19); Scott McKeown (20), Declan Lawless (19), David Barker (20), Paul O'Neill (23); Kevin McMillan (21), Ross Kelly (23), John Foley (19); Steven Murray (25), Alan MacDonald (24), Scott Craig (19) Subs: Mark Williamson (GK) (23), Craig Campbell (25), David Davidson (23), John Ferguson (24), Andy Fraser (20), John Ross (19), Tony Murphy (19)

First Half

Yet despite all the hype that perhaps Kiev weren't so good, we still knew we would have to go out and perform at our best if we weren't to fall flat on our faces, and be left in tears once more. And indeed, it was the Ukranian side who were to get off to the brighter start, and after just 16 minutes, David Barker picked up a yellow card for a puch on Milevskiy. But as the half wore on, we seemed to have weathered the early storm, and if truth be told, for all their efforts, Kiev had threatened little.

The first real chance of the match came on 22 minutes, as Kevin McMillan raced away down the right, his cross being headed away by Gavrancic, but only as far as Paul O'Neill, who set up Kelly just outside the area. Kelly's shot though was rushed, and off target, but at least we had finally made the Ukranians worried.

Two minutes later Oleg Veglinskyi managed to get in behind the defence, and looked certain to give Kiev the lead, until Declan Lawless got back to make a world class tackle, and save the day. It was a real chance for the Ukranians, and the expression on their faces told the story, they knew they should have been ahead.

But the weren't ahead, and as the match wore on, we were starting to come to terms with occassion, and with 29 minutes gone Kelly had another half chance which just went over the bar. We were starting to dominate now, and a goal looked inevitable, and when it did come, it was the simplest you could get. David Barker took a throw on the level of the 18 yard line, towards Steven Murray, and as the Kiev defence stood still, Murray bulleted a header beyond their keeper, and we were ahead.

It was almost two nil when MacDonld tried to lob the keeper, but his shot came back off the post, anf Nalepa gratefully fell on the ball and that chance was gone. Shortly thereafetr, the referee blew for half time, and we went in ahead, and happy. But we knew there was still another 45 minutes to go, and we have been in better positions than this and gone on to lose. The match is far from over....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

Yas icon_mad.gif - COME ONE FORFAR.

This is excellent PM, a real inspiration. I'm wondering what sort of players my Woking 'Good Facilities' will turn out over the summer - if they are half as good as some of yours, we should be in for a good future icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can get two players a year that can play in the first team, I reckon thats doing well. Some of the players that came through our ranks that are now playing, almost certainly wouldn't have gotten a game if I'd been signing players.(Thats not to say they don't deserve their place.) And of course realistically, they shouldn't all be in the Scotland squad icon_wink.gif In fact, Rivaldo said Steven Murray wasn't good enough for the club. Good job I didn't listen to him then!

Actually thats one thing I would say, don't listen to your coaches advice on your youth, judge them by how they play.

Second Half

The dressing room was a mixture of emotions. Delighted as we were to be ahead, we were perfectly aware that we had been two up on Manchester United and had lost out. We could be forgiven for feeling more than a little cautious at this stage. Yet the fact was, Kiev, good as they must be to have reached the Final, are not Manchester United, or Bayern Munich. Indeed, we have beaten far better sides on our European adventures, and if we were being honest, we were now in the position to go on and win the match. I would be most upset if we didn't.

As the second half started, we expected Kiev to come rushing at as, but the truth is the first few seconds of play were scrappy, as both sides lost possession, before the ball finally fell to Kevin McMillan, who tried to play a forward ball for Craig, but the ball struck Mariotti, preventing a clean pass. Scott Craig though was quicker to react than the Kiev defence, picking up the lose ball, and advancing to the edge of the area, before firing in a superb shot that gave the keeper no chance, and for the second time in a Champions League Final, we were two ahead.

Surely now we had done enough to finally get our hands on that trophy, and yet I couldn't help wondering if perhaps we hadn't scored too early. This is still a very young team, and nerves may well play a part in the closing stages. It only takes one mistake to turn the game on its head, and give Kiev the lifeline they really don't deserve.

And indeed, just four minutes later, El Kadouri hammered a fantastic shot at goal, that beat Shearer. Unluckly for the Kiev player though, the ball whacked off the crossbar and Shearer was able to mop up the rebound, and I suddenly started to believe that just perhaps we were on the verge now.

Kiev were starting to wilt, as Kevin McMillan blasted a shot over the bar, and then on the hour mark the same player had a decent effort saved by Napela. The Ukranians were trying to hang on for dear life, as we looked to finish the match off, but time was passing so slowly, and we just wanted to hear that final whistle that refused to come.

A couple of minutes later, after a superb period of possesion from us, McMillan saw another chance go begging, as his effort went wide, but it was thrilling to see the winger getting so involved in the game. Kiev made a couple of changes to try and rescue the game, Mariotti amd Yatsenko came off the be replaced by Tanaka and Federov. I decided to stick with the same eleven, as to be honest they were all playing so well, I couldn't see who I could take off.

Just four minutes after the substitions, Kiev had another great chance, but Shearer brilliantly saved Venglinski's shot. A couple of minutes later, it was Nalepa's turn to make a save, this time from John Foley, and you certainly couldn't say this game lacked excitment, and as the time slowly ticked away, we found ourselves just eighteen minutes from glory, as Kiev threw in their final card, taking off Bakum, and bringing on Kretov.

With 15 minutes left, McKeown had a great chance for the third, but his shot was only just over the bar. And time was ticking slowly and inexorably away, as our moment of triumph grew ever closer and closer. Eight minutes left, and as Kiev seemed to have sucuumbed to the inevitable, we won a corner which McMillan play to Craig, who in turn nicely set Murray up, but once more Napela was there to make the save.

Time ticked away, and without knowing it we had finally reached the 89th minute, and surely now our impossible dream had been realised. McKeown sent a nice ball forward to Murray, who found the inspirational McMillan on the right as we looked to play out time. McMillan brought the ball forward, then played a glorious cross into the area that Scott Craig rose majestically to meet, powering his header towards the goal, and as the ball looped into the net, the dream had been realised.

We had to wait what seemed like an eternity of the three minutes of added time, before the referee finally brought the match to and end, and amidst emotional scenes of direct contrast to our last two Champions League Final's, we had completed a season of absolute perfection. The impossible had happened, and in a day and age when football is ruled by the money men, Forfar Athletic had stunned the world by winning the Champions League, with a team that had cost nothing, that the money men would understand at least.

Yet as we celebrated as no team had ever celebrated before, the season was still not over, as we still had two more World Cup qualifiers, plus of course the Confederations Cup. But for now, we had only one though in mind. To get totally plastered!

Archived