FM15: Struggling away from home and "good" teams

Can never seem to win away from home and constantly struggle at home against any teams in the top 10. I play a 4-3-3 with 2 DM's. 1 holding is an anchor man set to defend and the other is a DM set to defend. My central midfielder is a deep lying play maker set to support with 2 attacking wingers and an advanced forward.

My tactics are set to:

Close down more

Retain Possession

Low Crosses

Work Ball Into Box

Exploit The Flanks

and my philosophy is set to standard. Any help here guys would be extremely helpful as I'm not enjoying the game atm.

May want to switch 1 winger to support duty if you have yet to do it. The AML/AMR with attack duties will stay high up the pitch when the team is defending. Support duties will make them drop abit deeper when defending.

I tried that too. I have gone with a very attacking formation, and from what i've seen from similar formations, it has worked for others. 4-3-3 based on a constant attack. I have kept my previous formation as they both need working on I think

I suspect your problem is that your front three are getting isolated from your midfield and defence and so you are going to struggle to score and keep the ball as attacks will constantly breakdown. I would certainly switch one winger to support and the full back behind him probably wants to be CWB or WB-a or FB-a. However, you are also playing a symmetrical system which means there is no variation in your attacks so if the opposition can stifle your strategy for one side they will do so on the other side as well. Therefore I would suggest playing something other than a winger on one side, perhaps a wide playmaker or inside forward. Without seeing your full tactic I am only guessing here but this is what I would suggest. I would also suggest changing one of the 2 DMs to support, possibly regista or roaming playmaker depending on what other changes you make but if you do this then you will likely need another role for the CM probably CM-a or Box to Box. You will need to experiment with the roles to see what works but at the moment you lack variation in your attacks and your front three are isolated and you don't have any primary goal threats other than your striker so if your opponents mark him out the game you are done.

Hope this helps.

I suspect your problem is that your front three are getting isolated from your midfield and defence and so you are going to struggle to score and keep the ball as attacks will constantly breakdown. I would certainly switch one winger to support and the full back behind him probably wants to be CWB or WB-a or FB-a. However, you are also playing a symmetrical system which means there is no variation in your attacks so if the opposition can stifle your strategy for one side they will do so on the other side as well. Therefore I would suggest playing something other than a winger on one side, perhaps a wide playmaker or inside forward. Without seeing your full tactic I am only guessing here but this is what I would suggest. I would also suggest changing one of the 2 DMs to support, possibly regista or roaming playmaker depending on what other changes you make but if you do this then you will likely need another role for the CM probably CM-a or Box to Box. You will need to experiment with the roles to see what works but at the moment you lack variation in your attacks and your front three are isolated and you don't have any primary goal threats other than your striker so if your opponents mark him out the game you are done.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I have adapted your help to 1 of my formations that I have. I have used it on one of the 4-3-3 formations.

GK

CWB - Attack

2xCD - Defend

Full Back - Automatic

Anchor Man - Defend

BWM - Defend

RPM - Support

Inside Forward - Support

Raumdetur - Attack

Advanced Forward - Attack

That does look better, I'm not sure you want the two defend roles in the midfield as it is a bit over defensive for the formation you have selected but give it a try and see how it plays out. If you are still lacking for options in attack then I would change the BWM to support and see how that goes. I would also change the automatic full back to support (I am assuming he is behind the Raumdetur because if not he should be).

Generally it looks much more viable now, though you do lack for players breaking forward centrally to support attacks and so if you continue to struggle that is where I would look to make changes. Hope it goes well.

One last thing I forgot to mention, without an AMC behind him your striker probably should be on support otherwise he gets very isolated by the midfield, probably CF-s at the least but most tactics without an AMC use DLF or false nine.

If you want to keep playing your striker as an AF-a then yes I would suggest moving the CM up to AMC but what role you give him would depend on the rest of your setup. This is slightly over-simplified, but as a general rule you need to keep an eye on the balance of your team between goalscorers, creative players and holding/defensive players. Obviously some roles are a bit of both so when you design your tactic you have to take them into account as well. For example an AP-s falls firmly in the creative players role as does the DLP but a Treq is a bit of both scorer and creative, but is poor defensively. For example you could move your MC up to the AMC slot and make him a treq and continue playing an AF-a but you would need to test the tactic to see how it balances with the rest of the roles you have selected. Basically test out roles in difference positions and see how the team performs as a whole and how individual players perform within the system. For example, if one of your players consistently gets poor ratings but is a good player it is entirely possible that the role he is playing doesn't suit the overall strategy. However, if you change this role and results get worse but his ratings improve then he was sacrificing himself for the good of the team. I'm sure you get the idea, but generally it is about experimenting with roles to see what works.

Brilliant. Thanks for your help. I have made them minor changes in the hope they that work. Feel more optimistic now about things. Would you suggest creating a 4-2-3-1 formation then to help? If so, any ideas for me?

Since you are playing with 2 midfielders on defend duty, you could actually set up a 4-2-3-1 DM wide. 1 DM is AM, the other will be a DM(S). DM(S) will move up to support your attacking players. With a double pivot now, you can even set your 2 FBs as WB if you want.

I think one of the things that stands out from your initial post is that you've told the team to close down more from the get go. That seems a bit odd if you're trying to be the more defensive team. Better to sit back and clog up space perhaps?

Depends on your style really.

Archived