Club Details

Year founded: 1904

President: Luís Filipe Vieira

Current manager: Jorge Jesus

Club captain: Luisão

Vice captain: Maxi Pereira

League: Primeira Liga

Media prediction: 1st

Fierce rivals: Porto (historic), Sporting (historic)

Other rivals: Belenenses (historic)

Legends: Eusébio

Icons: Rui Costa, Sven-Goran Eriksson, Bella Gutman, Humberto Coelho, Mário Coluna, Fernando Chalana, António Simões, Michel Preud'Homme, Miklos Féher, Toni

Estádio da Luz

17528933_y6A5v.jpeg

Capacity: 65647

Corporate facilities: Average

Training facilities: Excellent

Youth facilities: Superb

Club finances

Estimated value: €229M

Finances: Rich

Season ticket holders: 35000

History

On 28 February 1904, a group of former students from the Real Casa Pia de Lisboa and members of Associação do Bem met at the back of the Farmácia Franco on Rua de Belém with the goal of forming a social and cultural football club that would be called Sport Lisboa. There were a total of 24 people who attended the meeting, including the eighteen years old co-founder and future soul of the club: Cosme Damião. During the meeting, José Rosa Rodrigues was appointed as the club's first president, along with Daniel Brito as secretary and Manuel Gourlade as treasurer. In this historic meeting it was defined that the colours of the club would be red (for bravery) and white (for peace), and the crest composed of an eagle (symbolising high aspirations), and the motto "E pluribus unum" (Out of many, one).

Despite important victories in the first few years, the club suffered due to poor operating conditions, namely the football dirt field Terras do Desembargador. As a result, in 1907, eight players joined Sporting CP, located across the city. This event started the major rivalry between the two clubs.

On 13 September 1908, Sport Lisboa acquired by mutual agreement the Grupo Sport Benfica (founded on 26 July 1906 and renamed Sport Clube de Benfica in March 1908) and changed its name to Sport Lisboa e Benfica. Despite the merger of the two clubs, they continued their respective club operations. For Sport Lisboa they maintained the football team, the red and white shirt colours, the eagle as the symbol and "E pluribus unum" as the motto. For Grupo Sport Benfica they maintained the field Campo da Feiteira, the main directors and the club's house. Under mutual agreement, both clubs determined that the foundation date of the newly formed club—Sport Lisboa e Benfica—should coincide with the foundation date of Sport Lisboa given that it was the most recognised club in the merger and it was already quite popular in Lisbon due to its football merits. In regard to the new club's logo, a cycling wheel was added to the crest of Sport Lisboa to represent the most important sport of Grupo Sport Benfica. As for the new club's name, "Benfica" from "Grupo Sport Benfica" was merged with "Sport Lisboa" to form "Sport Lisboa e Benfica", which remains the formal full name. Furthermore, the two entities of the new club had simultaneous members which helped to stabilise operations and later increased the success of the merger.

benfica-1961-1962-1.jpg

European Champions (1960–1970)

Led by manager Béla Guttmann, Benfica was the first team to break Real Madrid's dominance in European Champion Clubs' Cup by winning two consecutive European Cups, the first against Barcelona in 1961 at the Wankdorf Stadium and the second one against Real Madrid in 1962 at the Olympic Stadium.

Later on, Benfica reached another three European Cup finals but lost them to Milan in 1963 at the Wembley Stadium, to Internazionale in 1965 at the San Siro, and to Manchester United in 1968 again at the Wembley Stadium.

Many of Benfica's successes in this decade were achieved with all-time football great Eusébio, Mário Coluna and other notable players. The 1960s were the best period of the club's history, in which Benfica won eight Primeira Liga (1959–60, 1960–61, 1962–63, 1963–64, 1964–65, 1966–67, 1967–68, 1968–69), three Taça de Portugal (1962, 1964, 1969) and two consecutive European Champions Cup (1960–61, 1961–62). The fourth domestic double was achieved in 1964 with Lajos Czeizler and the fifth one in 1969 with Otto Glória.

In 1968, Benfica was elected the European Team of the Year by France Football.

During this decade, Benfica was ranked first in European football, three times no less.

ng3188407.jpg

The Jorge Jesus Era (2009–present)

In 2009–10 season, Benfica had the highest average home attendance of 50,033 and the highest mark was 58,659 against Porto, a match won by Benfica 1–0. On 21 March 2010, Benfica beat Porto 3–0 in the Taça da Liga final and won its second consecutive trophy. In Europe, Benfica was drawn against Liverpool in the quarter-finals of the Europa League. At the Estádio da Luz, Benfica defeated Liverpool 2–1 but was eliminated after a 4–1 defeat at Anfield. On 9 May 2010, Benfica won their final league match against Rio Ave and became champion of the 2009–10 Primeira Liga, conquering their 32nd Primeira Liga title and securing a direct entry into the 2010–11 UEFA Champions League. Óscar Cardozo finished top scorer of the Primeira Liga with 26 goals.

In 2010–11, after participating in the Champions League, Benfica moved to Europa League and progressed to their first European semi-final in eighteen years. The team lost on the away goals rule after a 2–2 result against Braga. On 23 April 2011, Benfica won the Taça da Liga final against Paços de Ferreira, clinching their third consecutive title in this competition. The club finished second in Primeira Liga.

In 2011–12, Benfica reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League, being eliminated by eventual winners Chelsea; won their fourth consecutive Taça da Liga, and was second in Primeira Liga qualifying directly to the 2012–13 UEFA Champions League. Óscar Cardozo was the top scorer of Primeira Liga for the second time, with 20 goals. In 2012, Benfica was ranked eight in World Club Ranking by IFFHS.

In 2012–13, Benfica returned to a European final, after coming third in their Champions League group, Benfica reached the final of the Europa League but lost 2–1 to the 2012 European champions Chelsea. It was the ninth European final overall for Benfica and the first since the 1990 European Cup Final. Domestically, Benfica was second in Primeira Liga despite leading until the penultimate day. They reached the semi-finals of the Taça da Liga but lost in penalty shootout against the eventual winners Braga. They reached the final of the Taça de Portugal but suffered a defeat (1–2) against Vitória de Guimarães. Benfica had the highest average attendance (42,366) of Primeira Liga.

The 2013–14 season was one of the best in the club's history as Benfica won their 33rd champions title, their fifth Taça da Liga, without conceding a single goal (record), reached the Europa League final for a second consecutive time, without any defeat (record), and won their 25th Taça de Portugal, achieving the tenth Portuguese double. On 18 May 2014, Jorge Jesus achieved an historic treble for Benfica and a unique one in Portuguese football. Benfica completed the season unbeaten at home in all five competitions, and had the best defence of all European leagues with 18 goals conceded. Lima was the top goalscorer with 21 goals (14 in the league). In terms of average home attendance, the club improved the previous number to 43,613.

Benfica started the 2014–15 season by winning the Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira, thus establishing a new Portuguese record of all four domestic titles won in a year. In August 2014, RSSSF ranked Benfica as the best team in UEFA competitions over the last 5 years, fourth in the last 10 years, and seventh in all-time ranking.

Honours

SLB_History_Overview.png

Players

Goalkeepers: Artur / Júlio César / Paulo Lopes

Defenders: Benito / César / Eliseu / Jardel / Lisandro López / Luisão / Maxi Pereira / Steven Vitória

Midfielders: André Almeida / Bébé / Cristante / Enzo Pérez / Gaitán / Ola John / Rúben Amorim / Salvio / Samaris / Sulejmani / Talisca

Strikers: Derley / Jara / Jonas / Lima / Nélson Oliveira

Formations

442.png4411.png

Since JJ took the seat at Benfica, he has established a playing style that focuses on high pressing, high tempo, and incessant attacks, creating danger from all areas of the pitch. This tactic suits players with good physical attributes and work rate. JJ has used a traditional 4-4-2 in most games, but depending on the players he has available, he has also played in a 4-2-3-1 in the 2011-12 season. This season he returned to the 4-4-2 with the nuance of shaping it more like a 4-4-1-1 after brazilian wonderkid Talisca took the spot of second striker with a string of impressive performances and goals.

Targets

For the present season, the team is well balanced. There are at least two players for every position and you can rest assured that you can field a good team even during an injury crisis. But there is always something that can be improved, and if the finances allow it you should start looking for a goalkeeper, as both Artur and Júlio César are on the decline of their careers and won't last much longer at this level. Also, the weakest spot of the team is the left back position, although you have Eliseu that has good attacking attributes, and Benito who is a decent all-round left back. In the midfield there are plenty of quality options and a lot of youth, so you are good for now. In the front, there are many options but only Jonas can be considered a top striker. Don't be mistaken, this squad can perfectly compete domestically, but for the challenges of the Champions League maybe you'll need to have a goalscorer that is better than the current lot.

So pre-season well underway.

Looked weak in defence, so brought in Eder Alvarez Balanta at CB (10M euros)... hoping he is as good as he was for me on FM14, Humam Tarig and Pavel Savitskiy and the GK Stole Dimitrievski from Granada. Luka Jovic is joining from Red Star Belgrade when he is old enough. Aiming to use the 4-4-2 described above but Gaitan and Salvio are more AM then M, so I am re-training them. Also gave both of them lucrative long term new contracts as some big clubs were sniffing around. I think Porto look strong again this year, particularly Jackson Martinez....

1st team for this season will prob be:

GK : Julio Cesar

DR: Maxi Pereira

DL: Elsieu

DC: Luisao

DC: Balanta

MC: Samaris

MC: Perez

MR: Salvio

ML: Gaitan

SC: Lima

SC: Jonas

Prob go with 5 in midfield for the tougher games, such as Champs League

• 2 weeks later...

I'm top of the league at Christmas first season, but only by a point from Porto. (who beat me 1-0 at Estadio Dragao).

Won the Supertaca and have qualified from the CL group, but drawn Bayern in the knock out round :(

Best performers are the obvious ones: Salvio, Gaitan, Balanta, Lima, Jonas, Enzo Perez and Talisca all dong very well.

Prob looking for a couple of fullbacks in terms of next window.

I'm now on my second season with Benfica.

First season we ended up in 2nd because Sporting played like hell and didn't lose a game, Nani was a beast for them.

The only trophies we won were the Supertaça and the League Cup. My best players were the usual Gaitan, Salvio, Enzo and Talisca.

1st_season.jpg

Both Silvio and Maxi got injured for a couple of months so had to bring Diogo Figueiras as an emergency loan.

1st_season_transfers.jpg

This season Enzo started moaning about leaving to a bigger club and being in the last year of his contract I decided to cash in. Balanta also went for the release clause :(

2nd_season_transfers.jpg

My team in the 2nd season:

current_team.jpg

I'm currently on top of the league but just lost 2-1 against Porto in Taça de Portugal 4th round :(. I'm also on my way to the 1st knockout round in the CL so things aren't that bad.

Brought a few players but still need a proper left back with Eliseu being 32 and Vrsaljko not being on his natural position. Buying a top striker wouldn't go amiss especially for the CL.

What an end to the first season..With about 5 games to go Porto overtook me, but then they lost surprisingly at Guimaraes and with two home games to go I was ahead by 3 points, needing just 4 points from those 2 home games to secure the title. But In the penultimate game at home I was 0-1 down with 2 minutes to go when Nelson Oliveira snatched a late equaliser to get a draw. We subsequently beat relegated Penafiel on the last day to win the league. Phew. If it hadn't of been for that late Oliveira goal we would have thrown it away as Porto took 6 points from the last 2 games and had a better head to head record. A few grey hairs later......

• 2 weeks later...

hey everybody! since fm 14 i've been trying to emulate Jorge Jesus tactics. currently im using this one:

------------------J. Cesar-----------------------

maxi----luisao---------lisandro---------eliseu

-------------------------------------------------

salvio------enzo------samaris----------gaitan

-------------------------------------------------

----------talisca-------lima-------------------

gk

FBs: FB Attack

CBs: Ball playing defenders (because they participate in the 1st phase of construction)

Gaitan and Salvio: Wingers - attack

Samaris: Deep Lying Playmaker - defend (because he participates in the 1st phase of construction) with PIs: close down more, tackle harder

Enzo: Advanced playmaker - attack (with close down more)

Talisca: Deep lying forward - support (with move into channels and roam from position)

Lima: im still figuring out if i should use as poacher or complete forward support

fluid - control

TI: pass into space; play out of defence; whipped crosses; run at defence; exploit flanks; play wider; close down more; be more expressive

let me know what do you think!

I'd use this:

4-4-2

GK: Sweeper keeper (D) - J Cesar - sweeper keeper to clear balls over the high defensive line

RB: Full back (S) - M Pereira - to support the right winger

CB: Central defender (D) - Luisão

CB: Central defender (D) - L Lopez

LB: Full back (A) - Eliseu - attacking role to take advantage of his attributes

RM: Winger (A) - E Salvio - classic winger, run with ball down the line, go 1-on-1 with the defenders

CM: Roaming playmaker (S) - E Perez - the man that runs the team, he is always available to his teammates both defending and attacking

CM: Deep lying playmaker (D) - A Samaris - he is the first outlet when building attacking plays and he's the more defensive minded midfielder

LM: Winger (S) - N Gaitan - support role to get him involved earlier than just in the final third of the pitch, and also to be overlapped by the left back

ST: Deep lying forward (S) - A Talisca - playing on the back of the goalscorer, getting involved in the play by dropping back and trying through passes

ST: Advanced forward (A) - Lima - the main goalscorer, he looks to beat the offside trap and moves into channels to use the space between the centre back and the full back, or to cross if necessary

Fluid/control

TIs:

Shorter passing

Play wider

Close down more

Prevent short gk distribution

Be more expressive

I'd use this:

4-4-2

GK: Sweeper keeper (D) - J Cesar - sweeper keeper to clear balls over the high defensive line

RB: Full back (S) - M Pereira - to support the right winger

CB: Central defender (D) - Luisão

CB: Central defender (D) - L Lopez

LB: Full back (A) - Eliseu - attacking role to take advantage of his attributes

RM: Winger (A) - E Salvio - classic winger, run with ball down the line, go 1-on-1 with the defenders

CM: Roaming playmaker (S) - E Perez - the man that runs the team, he is always available to his teammates both defending and attacking

CM: Deep lying playmaker (D) - A Samaris - he is the first outlet when building attacking plays and he's the more defensive minded midfielder

LM: Winger (S) - N Gaitan - support role to get him involved earlier than just in the final third of the pitch, and also to be overlapped by the left back

ST: Deep lying forward (S) - A Talisca - playing on the back of the goalscorer, getting involved in the play by dropping back and trying through passes

ST: Advanced forward (A) - Lima - the main goalscorer, he looks to beat the offside trap and moves into channels to use the space between the centre back and the full back, or to cross if necessary

Fluid/control

TIs:

Shorter passing

Play wider

Close down more

Prevent short gk distribution

Be more expressive

Interesting! but dont you think that team instructions should have play from defence; exploit flanks and whipped crosses?

Lately i've been trying some tweaks. I changed philosphy from fluid to very fluid because i think its more accurate. and i changed nico gaitan and salvio from wingers to wide midfielders (with PI to be more narrow because they in Jorge Jesus model they tend to play in more interior zones) and lima to poacher (with move to channels) check it out:

823af74a0c955d8959a133d29d6f683a.png

e356be6def0553a7f52ce056d9a9987a.png

• 1 month later...

Just won my 3rd league title in a row. I don't think throwing lucrative new contracts at Salvio, Gaitan and Balanta is going to work this summer as they all have had their heads turned. Now I have been offered the Arsenal job. Should I take it? I don't really want to leave Benfica but I think I might have taken this team as far as I can go, especially if my best players start to want to leave and I end up having to rebuild.

Archived