Online play, some questions

*** FAO a moderator ***

I've just noticed there is a forum dedicated to online play, perhaps this topic would be better posted there? I apologise for not spotting it earlier, this is my first post here.

Would it be possible to have it moved? Thanks and sorry again :o

Hello : )

I have tried a couple of times to play online with other players but i did have issues, firstly impatience, 'Hurry up willyer!!! end your turn!!!' kind of comments, also finding a game where all players will be available at the same times on the same days, lag of course and Ihave been kicked for trying to sign a player that the host, unbeknown to me, was also planning to sign lol.

In the end i gave up on it but I would like to give it another go because I love this game, it has been my favourite series since CM93 and you just can't beat playing any game against human beings imo, multiplayer raises every game to new heights.

Before i join a new game though I would like to know a bit more, to save myself and others inconvenience in the future.

1 - Ettiquette

Is there a set of unspoken rules that govern online play? do's and don'ts?

2 - Time spent on turns

Is there a widely accepted limit as far as how long you take to end a turn? at what point does the time you take become unreasonable?

3 - Missing a session

If for real life reasons you can't join a session can the game continue without you? and will you be able to rejoin next time? If so how does this work? does AI take control of your team in your absence? or do you effectively get kicked from the game?

4 - Internet speed

I am very fortunate, I have 1Gbps broadband and rarely experience connection problems but i know others aren't so lucky, how can playing with other players with slow/unreliable internet affect the experience? or is any impact negligeble?

5 - Matches

As one of those players that likes to go really deep, thoroughly scouting opponents and spending a lot of time fine tuning tactics to suit each match, I like to watch the games to see how my decisions play out.

Friendlies - Usually 'Key Highlights' but sometimes 'Extended Highlights'

General competitive League/Cup games - 'Extended Highlights'

Important fixtures (Cup Finals/Local Derbys/Play Offs etc) - Usually 'Extended Highlights' but sometimes I like to watch a 'Full Match' (slightly speeded up)

I'm guessing that watching a full match is out of the question in an online game, except perhaps in rare and exceptional circumstances, how about extended highlights though?

6 - Number of players

Is there an optimum amount of players that suit an online game? What complications arise with more human players participating in an online game?

7 - Anything else?

Is there anything else regarding online play that inexperienced online players should be aware of?

Any light shed will be greatly appreciated.

1 - Ettiquette

Is there a set of unspoken rules that govern online play? do's and don'ts?

2 - Time spent on turns

Is there a widely accepted limit as far as how long you take to end a turn? at what point does the time you take become unreasonable?

3 - Missing a session

If for real life reasons you can't join a session can the game continue without you? and will you be able to rejoin next time? If so how does this work? does AI take control of your team in your absence? or do you effectively get kicked from the game?

4 - Internet speed

I am very fortunate, I have 1Gbps broadband and rarely experience connection problems but i know others aren't so lucky, how can playing with other players with slow/unreliable internet affect the experience? or is any impact negligeble?

5 - Matches

As one of those players that likes to go really deep, thoroughly scouting opponents and spending a lot of time fine tuning tactics to suit each match, I like to watch the games to see how my decisions play out.

Friendlies - Usually 'Key Highlights' but sometimes 'Extended Highlights'

General competitive League/Cup games - 'Extended Highlights'

Important fixtures (Cup Finals/Local Derbys/Play Offs etc) - Usually 'Extended Highlights' but sometimes I like to watch a 'Full Match' (slightly speeded up)

I'm guessing that watching a full match is out of the question in an online game, except perhaps in rare and exceptional circumstances, how about extended highlights though?

6 - Number of players

Is there an optimum amount of players that suit an online game? What complications arise with more human players participating in an online game?

7 - Anything else?

Is there anything else regarding online play that inexperienced online players should be aware of?

First things first, if you are joining random peoples games the best advice i can give is get the details off of the host like play time, duration etc. It really is easier if you find a clan or play with friends.

1 and 2 - ask the host. For 2 there is usually a timer after a certain amount of players press continue

3 - AI controls your games

4 - your internet speed and others should not matter, as long as the host is online.

5 - most people restrict it to key and extended, and certain match speeds, so the game is not waiting on one person

6 - more humans means slightly longer waiting times.

7. Ask the host of any rules in place like no bidding for other managers players/unsettling players etc.

First things first, if you are joining random peoples games the best advice i can give is get the details off of the host like play time, duration etc. It really is easier if you find a clan or play with friends.

1 and 2 - ask the host. For 2 there is usually a timer after a certain amount of players press continue

3 - AI controls your games

4 - your internet speed and others should not matter, as long as the host is online.

5 - most people restrict it to key and extended, and certain match speeds, so the game is not waiting on one person

6 - more humans means slightly longer waiting times.

7. Ask the host of any rules in place like no bidding for other managers players/unsettling players etc.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Having read what you say i do agree it would be better to find a clan or group of like minded players to play with, unfortunately I have no friends that play FM.

With #3 - You say that the AI will control my game, are there any controls you can impose upon the AI, for example is it possible to prevent player sales/purchases while the AI is running things?

well when you leave the online game you will need to go on holiday before leaving, it will give you an option to either tick or leave blank that determines whether the assistant will use the starting 11 and formation you have, or choose something else himself

well when you leave the online game you will need to go on holiday before leaving, it will give you an option to either tick or leave blank that determines whether the assistant will use the starting 11 and formation you have, or choose something else himself

Thanks. :thup:

I have joined a couple of steam groups that state they enjoy playing slowly and patiently so hopefully I'll get a decent game going soon, cheers again for your replies. :)

Archived