gibbo11

Season 2015

JIPPO Joensuu

Ykkönen, Finnish First Division

JIPPO_zps53e6bbf8.png

June/July

First Division

JIPPOJoensuu_FixturesSchedule-6_zpse198bafa.png

We started June with a bang, 5 goals against 3rd place SalPa, 4 coming from our star man Ronkko. What followed this big win was our worst run of the season. 2 points from a possible 12. What's worse is that we took the lead in all 4 games and couldn't hold on. So far in my time in Finland, I've seen enough defensive mistakes to last me a lifetime. I may not have the best defence but to get one of my full backs to get a rating of over 6 is an achievement. What followed these 4 games though was some courage and determination to not be defeated. We overcame OPS without Joona Ikonen, who was injured for 4 weeks. We then held on against both FC YPA and JJK, the latter almost pulling back from 4-0 down.

It's clear that at the end of the season, I will need to look at improving my defence. We weren't able to keep our goals in every league game record up as we were defeated 2-0 to SalPa. FC Haka were the final game of July, and with them being in their worst run of the season with 3 straight defeats, it was an opportunity to get 3 vital points. Step up Petteri Ronkko. With 1 goal since his 4 goal salvo against SalPa at the start of June, he needed a good performance and boy did he give one. We were 4-1 up but once again our defence crumbled and we let our lead slip. FC Haka then equalised with 5 minutes to go. I threw the players forward desperately looking to score and Ronkko completed his hat trick in the 89th minute. So where does that leave us...

FinnishFirstDivision_OverviewProfile-2_zpsce55630f.png

We're in a fantastic position with 9 games to go. We play everyone again once so we need to pick up a few wins against the 3 teams around us.

SteveGibson_NewsInbox-24_zps6432bd3d.png

First manager of the month award of my career and I feel it is fully deserved. Look at me now Worthing!

Transfer News

During June, my Finnish scout recommended signing Petri Oravainen to give us some cover in the wide areas. I am stretching our budget but we are going to give the promotion chase a good go.

JIPPO_TransfersTransferHistory-2_zps2bd43865.png

We did receive some bad news however. It was possibly the worst news that could come out of this football club. With most players' contracts running out within the next 6 months, it was inevitable a few faces may end up elsewhere, especially considering no players are willing to negotiate a contract at the present time.

SteveGibson_NewsInbox-22_zps637e3316.png

Next Month

We face PK-35 who we have only picked up one point against, as well as ViikingIt, top of the league and who we have also only managed to get one point from.

Season 2015

JIPPO Joensuu

JIPPO_zps53e6bbf8.png

August

First Division

JIPPOJoensuu_FixturesSchedule-7_zps9abd443d.png

We didn't get off the best of starts in the final round of games as for the second time this season, we were defeated by AC Kajaani. Very disappointing performance after going 2-0 up. We bounced back brilliantly though, we two straight wins, firstly we finally beat PK-35, Ronkko with 2 goals in 2 minutes set us on our way and the quiet but deadly Gambian international Jammeh with the 3rd. Next came our first clean sheet of the season with an easy 3-0 victory against OPS. We squeezed a draw out of KuPS and in the top of the table clash, we held ViikingIt to a 1-1 draw. We did however lose Joona Ikonen and the physio confirmed he will miss the rest of the season with a spinal injury. We were fortunate that the teams around us were as inconsistent..

FinnishFirstDivision_OverviewProfile-3_zps7000c14e.png

4 games to go, with both FC Haka and SalPa coming up, we will need at least 10 points to secure promotion I feel.

SteveGibson_NewsInbox-25_zps5040b06e.png

A decent month for my players, with 4 coming in the team of the month. Notice how I mention my full backs are terrible then one gets in this team :thup:

Next Month

We face bottom of the table FC YPA and also JJK who we have scored 10 times against this season. The month ends with our final home game against SalPa.

Season 2015

JIPPO Joensuu

JIPPO_zps53e6bbf8.png

September

JIPPOJoensuu_FixturesSchedule-8_zps60f6882a.png

As you can see from the picture above, we left it very late to pick up three points against bottom side FC YPA. I thought we were going to throw everything away with a whimper but Suoraniemi scored a 92nd minute wonder goal. I will try and upload it at some point. Safe to say I went crazy!! We then played JJK and made it 14 goals against them this season. They are probably the team below us in conceding through defensive mistakes. With no natural AMC, I trusted Saku Kvist in that position and he repayed me with 3 goals in two games. I got big hope for this 20 year old. So we went into the penultimate game of the season against SalPa...

JIPPOJoensuu_FixturesSchedule-9_zps370db319.png

Another two goals from Kvist saw us take all three points. The crowd waited on the pitch waiting to hear the results from the other games.. We needed ViikingIt to lose and FC Haka to not win...

FinnishFirstDivision_MatchesFixturesampResults_zpsaab2af2f.png

FinnishFirstDivision_OverviewProfile-4_zps54b59438.png

SteveGibson_NewsInbox-26_zpsd5221de4.png

SteveGibson_NewsInbox-28_zpsbdd71196.png

SteveGibson_NewsInbox-27_zps8ce017ed.png

WOW. Such an unexpected turn of events. Champions of the Ykkönen and we will be playing Premier Division football next season. I expected mid-table, so did the board and so did the fans. Our defensive frailties were obvious throughout the season but with a free-scoring front line and some great determination, JIPPO Joensuu are promoted. Now on to that new contract...

JIPPO_BoardroomBoardMeeting_zpse700071c.png

Cheers then :thup:

Next month

The final game of the season against FC Haka and the awards for the season. We will also see which teams I will play in next seasons Premier Division, provided I get a contract..

Great effort, but will the Jippos think the same?

Thankfully, it looks like I'll be given the opportunity to play against the big boys next season!

Haka really dropped off the pace!

They did, I thought they would run away with it but they went around 6 or 7 games without a win, losing 4 of them. From there, they just couldn't find any form.

The league win surprised me, I wasn't actually paying that much attention to the game and it wasn't until I had loads of messages in my inbox where I realised I had won. If I had been paying attention I would have probably lost! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Sorry if anyone was following this thread. I hope to have an update soon. My laptop has been on the brink of death for quite a while now and I have been backing everything up to ensure I don't lose everything. This can be a daunting task as my laptop just fails to function for more than 20 minutes before turning off. Will be getting a new laptop once I have been paid so the story will continue there!

Great timing...

Archived