Borussia Dortmund's gegenpressing

Hi,

since I'm a huge Borussia Dortmund fan I always end up starting a save with them, no matter what I intend to do in a new manager.

And since I'am also a huge fan of the fast/direct/pressing/gegenpressing style the BVB is playing I wanded to create a tactic which uses those elements.

As formation I chose the typical 4-2-3-1.

Idea

Regarding the mentality/defence line I wanded my team to drop a bit deeper to let the opponent play out of their defence. At around the height of the halfway line

I want them to put up high pressure against the ball and the opponent, when win the ball the first movement/pass should be vertical and gaining space to take adavantage

of the space the opponent left behindt while playing forward due to mya deeper sitting team. I also want my team to have a hort phase after losing the ball where they press hart

to try to get back the ball as fast as possible.

So after thinking about those points I ended up with this:

51577,bvbtaktikPKJ1B.png

Mentality/Fluidity

I choose an attacking mentality, to get the fast transition phase and the direct play style and the higher aggressivity against the ball, with a very rigid fluidity, to keep the shape in defence and don't

get overrun after loosing the ball.

Teaminstructions

go route one: As mentioned above: regaining possession and then the fast, direct vertical movement to chatch the opponent off guard.

pass into space: Same reason as go route one.

dripp crosses: This is a bit of a gut feeling, that drill crosses wor way better then the normal ones. But also the description of it fits in to my idea '...quick and powerful crosses into the penalty area with

the intention of catching the defender off guard...'

drop deeper: To get my team to wait a bit for the opponent and let him come. Also working against the to high defence line due to the attacking mentality. Beeing safer at the back...

hassle opponents: Self explaining: no pressing without hassle opponents...

get stuck in: The pressing should be highly aggressiv in the are where I want to win back the ball. To be honest I'm not 100% sure about it anymore since I'm on top of the fouls and yellow cards statistic.

use tighter marking: Doesn't really fit into my idea of the mordern football but it helps my players to be close to their opponenets and makes it easier to press and get into tacklings.

use offside trap: Since I'm still relativly high up the pitch and don't have the fastest center backs. I try solving the problem of long balls behind my defence line and fast(er) strikers with this one.

Player instructions

Goalkeeper: Distibute to defenders.

Complete Wing Backs: Shoot less often, stay wider, close down less

Ball Winning Midfielder: Mark tighter, shoot less often

Deep Lying Playmaker: More direct passes, close down more

Inside Forward: Mark tigther, shoot less often

Adanced Playmaker: Roam from positions, move into channels, mark tighter

Winger: Mark tigther, shoot less often

Advanced Forward: Mark tighter, move into channels

Results:

So all in all I got this thing going, I've seen a lot of nice fast transition phases and ended up with 11 wins in a row...

But now all of the sudden i have the feeling something is not going right anymore...

My players don't act like they did before and don't do what my tactic tells them. I changed nothing about it and didn't changed anything in training. My teamtalks where good, the training seems good...

I lost 4:2 away to Hoffenheim and played only 1:1 against Braunschweig at home. But it's not about those two games it's more or less about the way my players act...not like they did before!

So maybe I can get some help from you guys...

I would have done this thread anyway to show you my tactic since I'm a bit proud of the result, but now with the thing doesn't keep going from win to win its even better because now you guys really can help me...

If you won 11 games in a row but then started to drop points and your players are acting differently it probably isn't a tactical problem, more that your team has become complacent and overconfident because you praised them too much during the winning run.

I wouldn't say dortmund are best represented by the attacking strategy. If you watch them in real life the front 4 are quite narrow and close together and they play a lot of short combinations in the final 3rd. They also counter attack quite a lot. After trying various styles what set up I found look and played most like real life Dortmund was.

Counter/Rigid

Pass Into Space

Roam From Positions

Push Higher Up

Hassle Opponents

Stay On Feet

More Expressive

Higher Tempo

Gk

WB A

CD S

BPD C

WB A

BWM D

DLP S

IF A

AP A

IF A

CF s

If you won 11 games in a row but then started to drop points and your players are acting differently it probably isn't a tactical problem, more that your team has become complacent and overconfident because you praised them too much during the winning run.

What can I do to avoid this?

I wouldn't say dortmund are best represented by the attacking strategy. If you watch them in real life the front 4 are quite narrow and close together and they play a lot of short combinations in the final 3rd. They also counter attack quite a lot. After trying various styles what set up I found look and played most like real life Dortmund was.

Isn't the passing style and the mentality too low to play a really fast direct soccer when you choose counter?

• 2 weeks later...

When the chance arises to counter attack every players mentality goes up. Also Subotic, Hummels and Sokartis play the most long balls in the team. There attacking players are narrow and close together and play a lot of short passes and one twos.

The counter strategy also gives you those 3 things as it's narrow has shorter passing for attacking players and is more direct out of defence.

Archived