From Zero to Hero (Well Maybe)

mark wilson27

February 23rd: Gravesend (H) FA Trophy 4th Round

We struggled to get going in truth and on the 9th minute Gravesend took the lead as they looked to have beaten the offside trap and fired past the keeper, but the referee ruled it out for offside. Ten minutes later they came close to scoring with a low effort which was diverted wide of the post by M.Harcourt. On the half hour Gravesend had yet another chance as a poor clearance was volleyed back towards goal but G.Teague managed to tip the ball over the crossbar. With five minutes remaining in the half Gravesend finally got the lead they deserved as L.Bullen fired in under G.Teague. The second half was much the same as Gravesend dominated and on the 58th minute they came close with a curling effort towards goal but it didn’t curl enough and went wide. Seven minutes later we levelled the scoreline as we countered a Gravesend attack and M.Barnard headed in the resulting R.Bunning cross. On the 68th minute we took the lead as C.Sheringham barged into the area and rounded the keeper to slide the ball into the empty net. However we couldn't keep the lead as on 75th minute Gravesend sent the game to a replay with C.MacDonald doing the honours from inside the area

Alfreton Town 2 M.Barnard 65, C.Sheringham 68

Gravesend 2 L.Bullen 40, C.MacDonald 75

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, S.Torpey, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt), C.Mitchell, C.Sheringham

After the game the physio informed me that S.Torpay will be out for around a fortnight after damaging his leg

February 24th: The draw for the FA Trophy Semi Final sees us pitted against Conference National side York, the first leg will be played away from home

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 27th: Gravesend (A) FA Trophy 4th Round Replay

Gravesend carried on the domination from the previous tie and on the 33rd minute they grabbed the lead as L.Bullen fired in from outside the area. Four minutes later it was two nil with V.Fernandez jinking through my defence and dinked the ball over the onrushing G.Teague. On the stroke of half time they should have killed the game off as they broke through my defence and the striker tried to dink the ball over my keeper but he reacted well and palmed the ball away. I made a double change at half time with B.Moss and T.Whitman coming on for I.Fitzpatrick and C.Mitchell. A minute into the half we pulled a goal back with T.Whitman doing the honours from close range after a great team move. On the 50th minute we levelled the scoreline as T.Whitman grabbed his second of the game with a fine strike. Two minutes later it was three two as R.Bunning show great vision to lob the keeper from outside the area. We were on a roll and on the 69th minute we had another chance with A.El Kholti running in from the wing and curled the ball towards goal but the keeper saved well. With eight minutes remaining in the game we had yet another chance as C.Sheringham ran through the defence but his final effort was pretty dire and went well wide of the post

Gravesend 2 L.Bullen 33, V.Fernandez 37

Alfreton Town 3 T.Whitman 46, 50, R.Bunning 52

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, I.Fitzpatrick (45-B.Moss), A.El Kholti, R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt), C.Mitchell (45-T.Whitman), C.Sheringham

Conference North: February

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Southport    |       | 31    | 18    | 6     | 7     | 48    | 29    | +19   | 60    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Leigh        |       | 31    | 17    | 9     | 5     | 42    | 24    | +18   | 60    | 
| 3rd   |       | Gateshead    |       | 31    | 17    | 8     | 6     | 58    | 36    | +22   | 59    | 
[b]| 4th   |       | Alfreton     |       | 30    | 17    | 7     | 6     | 53    | 37    | +16   | 58    | [/b]
| 5th   |       | Stafford     |       | 31    | 18    | 4     | 9     | 43    | 31    | +12   | 58    | 
| 6th   |       | Hinckley     |       | 31    | 17    | 6     | 8     | 49    | 34    | +15   | 57    | 
| 7th   |       | Nuneaton     |       | 31    | 16    | 7     | 8     | 52    | 27    | +25   | 55    | 
| 8th   |       | Worcester    |       | 31    | 16    | 6     | 9     | 57    | 34    | +23   | 54    | 
| 9th   |       | Redditch     |       | 31    | 16    | 2     | 13    | 39    | 41    | -2    | 50    | 
| 10th  |       | Lancaster    |       | 30    | 10    | 12    | 8     | 28    | 20    | +8    | 42    | 
| 11th  |       | Workington   |       | 31    | 11    | 9     | 11    | 40    | 45    | -5    | 42    | 
| 12th  |       | Gainsborough |       | 31    | 11    | 7     | 13    | 45    | 44    | +1    | 40    | 
| 13th  |       | Harrogate    |       | 31    | 10    | 10    | 11    | 39    | 41    | -2    | 40    | 
| 14th  |       | Blyth        |       | 31    | 10    | 9     | 12    | 30    | 31    | -1    | 39    | 
| 15th  |       | Hyde         |       | 31    | 11    | 6     | 14    | 43    | 56    | -13   | 39    | 
| 16th  |       | Frickley     |       | 31    | 10    | 7     | 14    | 49    | 57    | -8    | 37    | 
| 17th  |       | Histon       |       | 31    | 8     | 8     | 15    | 29    | 56    | -27   | 32    | 
| 18th  |       | Hucknall     |       | 31    | 8     | 7     | 16    | 30    | 40    | -10   | 31    | 
| 19th  |       | Worksop      |       | 31    | 5     | 9     | 17    | 26    | 45    | -19   | 24    | 
| 20th  |       | Droylsden    |       | 31    | 6     | 6     | 19    | 30    | 51    | -21   | 24    | 
| 21st  |       | Stalybridge  |       | 31    | 6     | 4     | 21    | 28    | 60    | -32   | 22    | 
| 22nd  |       | Moor Green   |       | 31    | 4     | 7     | 20    | 32    | 51    | -19   | 19    | 

February Review: An undefeated month sees us moving into play-off spots in the League and the Semi Finals of the FA Trophy. The only problem I can see at the moment is the amount of goals we seem to be conceding. Its something I will be addressing in training

Its looking good at the moment Salk, hopefully we can maintain the challenge

March 1st: Frickley (A) (31/42)

Not a great start to the month as Frickley outplayed us in every department. On the 19th minute we went a goal down as A.Boyce beat the offside trap and fired under the onrushing G.Teague. It didn’t get any better just after the half hour with P.Walsh making it two nil for Frickley. Just before the break they had their next chance with a curling effort which went just wide of the post. I made two changes at half time with B.Moss and T.Whitman coming on for R.Bunning and C.Sheringham. The second half wasn’t much better as Frickley controlled the play but luckily for us they failed to get past our defence. On the stroke of full time we got a goal on the score sheet as C.Mitchell fired in from close range

Frickley 2 A.Boyce 19, P.Walsh 31

Alfreton Town 1 C.Mitchell 90

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning (45-B.Moss), E.Nwadike (capt), C.Mitchell, C.Sheringham (45-T.Whitman)

March 5th: Blyth (A) (32/42)

Another poor game for us as we failed to put any sort of pressure on the Blyth side. On the 23rd minute Blyth had the first chance of the game with a powerful effort which had G.Teague at full stretch to save. Ten minutes later they came close with a great team move which split my side apart but G.Teague was on hand again to save the day. The second half was much the same as Blyth dominated the play. On the 66th I made a double change with S.Richman and C.Mitchell coming on for R.Bunning and C.Sheringham. Five minutes later though Blyth grabbed the winning goal as R.Dale ran into the area unmarked and rounded the G.Teague to slot home into the empty net.

Blyth 1 R.Dale 71

Alfreton Town 0

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning (66-S.Richman), E.Nwadike (capt), C.Mitchell, C.Sheringham (66-C.Mitchell)

March 8th: York (A) FA Trophy Semi Final 1st Leg

York came out of the blocks quickly and on the 12th minute they had the ball in the back of the net but luckily for us the goal was ruled out for a foul in the build up. Eight minutes later they came close again with s great header which G.Teague tipped over the crossbar. On the 29th minute we had the referee's assistant to thank after he ruled that a York player was offside. Five minutes later we scored as M.Barnard headed in but unfortunately it was into his own net. I made one change at half time with B.Moss coming on for A.El Kholti. York continued the pile on the pressure in the second half and just before the hour they had another chance to score with a low effort which was diverted wide of the post by W.Antwi. On the 70th minute I made two more changes with S.Richman and C.Mitchell coming on for E.Nwadike and T.Whitman. However the changes had little effect and York took a one goal lead into the second leg

York 1 M.Barnard 34 og

Alfreton Town 0

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti (45-B.Moss), R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt) (70-S.Richman), T.Whitman (70-C.Mitchell), C.Sheringham

March 12th: Lancaster (H) (32/42)

The first half was pretty quiet as both my side and the Lancaster side managed to get past the middle third of the pitch. The second half was a lot better as my players finally decided to pull their fingers out. However it was Lancaster who scored the opener as O.Story beat the offside trap and fired past G.Teague. On the 77th minute we had the chance to level the scores as C.Sheringham headed towards goal from a R.Bunning cross but his header was well saved. With a minute remaining in the game we managed to grab the equaliser as T.Whitman was adjudged to have been brought down in the area, M.Barnard did the honours with a low shot into the bottom corner past the feet of the keeper.

Alfreton Town 1 M.Barnard 89 pen

Lancaster 1 O.Story 71

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt), T.Whitman, C.Sheringham

We seemed to hit abit of a downward spiral, hopefully the next result will spur us on

March 15th: York (H) FA Trophy Semi Final 2nd Leg (agg 0-1)

Four minutes into the tie York were reduced to ten men after their keeper J.White was sent off for a professional on T.Whitman, C.Sheringham sent the penalty well wide of the post. On the 13th minute C.Sheringham redeemed himself with a well struck effort from the edge of the area to level the tie. Eight minutes later York came close to scoring as a great team move split my defence apart but G.Teague was on hand to save the day with a fine save. Just before the half hour I was forced into a change as T.Whitman picked up an injury and was replaced by C.Mitchell. The second half saw my players piling forward and on the 58th minute C.Sheringham grabbed a second goal with a thunderous effort which gave the York keeper no chance of saving. Two minutes later C.Sheringham completed his hat trick as he ran through the York defence and fired over the keeper. On the 65th minute we completed the rout as L.McMahon diverted a C.Mitchell shot past his own keeper

Alfreton Town 4 C.Sheringham 13, 58, 60, L.McMahon 65 og

York 0

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt), T.Whitman (inj 29-C.Mitchell), C.Sheringham

We have qualified for the FA Trophy Final with a 4-1 aggregate victory, however it came at a cost with T.Whitman out injured for 3-4 weeks with broken ribs. We will be facing Conference National side Woking in the Final at Wembley on 18th May

March 19th: Hinckley (H) (34/42)

Ten minutes into the game we had the first chance as E.Nwadike curled the ball towards goal but the Hinckley keeper saved well. On the 17th minute we came close again with a jinking run from S.Torpey which ended with a fine challenge by the Hinckley defence. Six minutes later we finally grabbed the lead as C.Sheringham headed in a S.Torpey corner after A.Tiday's initial effort was well saved. The second half was much the same as we continued to pile forward but on the 65th minute Hinckley earn't a penalty after W.Antwi ended a counter attack with a poorly timed tackle, luckily for W.Antwi the penalty was well saved by C.Jackson. Soon after the penalty save we came close to adding a second goal but C.Sheringham missed a clear cut chance when he was one on one with the keeper. With eight minutes remaining in the game Hinckley levelled the tie as they counter attacked us again and S.Cross fired with power past C.Jackson to give them an undeserved point

Alfreton Town 1 C.Sheringham 23

Hinckley 1 S.Cross 82

C.Jackson, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, S.Torpey, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt), A.Tiday, C.Sheringham

March 22nd: Worcester (A) (35/42)

Four minutes into the game we took the lead as L.Barnard fired in from the penalty spot after C.Mitchell was brought down in the area. However after the goal we switched off and Worcester started to up the gears. On the 26th minute they levelled the scores as D.Brown ran through my defence with ease and fired past C.Jackson. Nine minutes later Worcester took the lead as D.Brown grabbed his second of the game. The second half started well for us as six minutes in A.Tiday levelled the scores with a fine strike from outside the area. On the 54th minute Worcester retook the lead as J.Thompson headed in past C.Jackson. Three minutes later Worcester grabbed another goal as J.Beadle beat the offside trap and dinked the ball over the onrushing C.Jackson. We weren’t getting anything of the ball and on the 74th minute J.Thompson grabbed his second of the game with a low effort past C.Jackson to wrap up a poor performance for my team

Worcester 5 D.Brown 26, 35, J.Thompson 54, 74, J.Beadle 57

Alfreton Town 2 L.Barnard 4 pen, A.Tiday 51

C.Jackson, R.Clarke, M.Harcourt, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, S.Torpey, A.El Kholti, R.Bunning, E.Nwadike (capt), A.Tiday, C.Mitchell

It seems to have come at just the wrong time CCman, lets hope it ends soon

March 24th: Stafford (H) (36/42)

Not the greatest game for the fans with little in the way of action. On the 20th minute I was forced into making a change as I.Fitzpatrick came on for the injured S.Torpey. Just before the break we had the first chance of the game as A.Tiday ran onto a C.Flanagan through ball but his final effort was pretty dire and the ball went well wide of the post. The second half wasn’t much better as we failed to get close to the Stafford defence. With ten minutes remaining in the game I was forced into another change with S.Richman came on for the injured C.Mitchell.

Alfreton Town 0

Stafford 0

C.Jackson, R.Clarke, D.Magee, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, S.Torpey (inj 20-I.Fitzpatrick), B.Moss, M.Ebdon (capt), C.Flanagan, A.Tiday, C.Mitchell (inj 80-S.Richman)

After the game the physio informed me that S.Torpey will be out for around a week with a dead leg and C.Mitchell will be out for around 1-2 weeks with bruised ribs

Its been a dire month Gary which in my opinion has killed off any chance of a play off spot

March 29th: Gainsborough (A) (37/42)

Gainsborough started well and on the 7th minute they came close to opening the scoring with a great team move which split my team apart but luckily for us C.Jackson was on hand to smother the ball. Twelve minutes later they came close to scoring we with a low effort which was diverted onto the post by W.Antwi. On the 39th minute we had our first chance as I.Fitzpatrick tried a curling effort towards but the Gainsborough keeper saved well. The second half was ten minutes old when we came close to grabbing the lead as M.Gulliver fired a low effort towards goal but the ball clipped the wrong side of the post. On the 66th minute I made a change with E.Nwadike coming on for M.Ebdon. Eight minutes after the change Gainsborough had their final chance of the game with a powerful shot towards goal but C.Jackson managed to get a hand to the ball and saved well.

Gainsborough 0

Alfreton Town 0

C.Jackson, R.Clarke, D.Magee, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, I.Fitzpatrick, B.Moss, M.Ebdon (capt) (66-E.Nwadike), C.Flanagan, M.Gulliver, H.Kelly

Conference North: March

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Southport    |       | 37    | 21    | 8     | 8     | 58    | 35    | +23   | 71    | 
| 2nd   |       | Leigh        |       | 38    | 20    | 11    | 7     | 51    | 31    | +20   | 71    | 
| 3rd   |       | Hinckley     |       | 38    | 21    | 8     | 9     | 56    | 39    | +17   | 71    | 
| 4th   |       | Gateshead    |       | 38    | 20    | 10    | 8     | 65    | 42    | +23   | 70    | 
| 5th   |       | Stafford     |       | 38    | 21    | 7     | 10    | 52    | 34    | +18   | 70    | 
| 6th   |       | Worcester    |       | 38    | 20    | 7     | 11    | 67    | 40    | +27   | 67    | 
| 7th   |       | Nuneaton     |       | 38    | 18    | 9     | 11    | 55    | 32    | +23   | 63    | 
[b]| 8th   |       | Alfreton     |       | 37    | 17    | 11    | 9     | 58    | 47    | +11   | 62    | [/b]
| 9th   |       | Redditch     |       | 38    | 18    | 4     | 16    | 47    | 50    | -3    | 58    | 
| 10th  |       | Lancaster    |       | 38    | 14    | 14    | 10    | 37    | 25    | +12   | 56    | 
| 11th  |       | Frickley     |       | 38    | 15    | 8     | 15    | 62    | 63    | -1    | 53    | 
| 12th  |       | Workington   |       | 38    | 14    | 11    | 13    | 47    | 51    | -4    | 53    | 
| 13th  |       | Blyth        |       | 38    | 13    | 12    | 13    | 39    | 35    | +4    | 51    | 
| 14th  |       | Harrogate    |       | 38    | 12    | 11    | 15    | 47    | 53    | -6    | 47    | 
| 15th  |       | Hyde         |       | 38    | 12    | 9     | 17    | 50    | 66    | -16   | 45    | 
| 16th  |       | Gainsborough |       | 38    | 12    | 8     | 18    | 50    | 55    | -5    | 44    | 
| 17th  |       | Hucknall     |       | 38    | 11    | 10    | 17    | 38    | 44    | -6    | 43    | 
| 18th  |       | Histon       |       | 38    | 9     | 11    | 18    | 32    | 67    | -35   | 38    | 
| 19th  |       | Worksop      |       | 38    | 8     | 11    | 19    | 36    | 50    | -14   | 35    | 
| 20th  |       | Stalybridge  |       | 38    | 8     | 6     | 24    | 35    | 70    | -35   | 30    | 
| 21st  |       | Droylsden    |       | 38    | 7     | 8     | 23    | 33    | 57    | -24   | 29    | 
| 22nd  |       | Moor Green   |       | 38    | 5     | 8     | 25    | 36    | 65    | -29   | 23    | 

March Review: A disaster of a month barring the FA Trophy Semi Final win. With the poor form we have dropped right out of play-off contention. We need nothing short of a miracle to get up there

April 2nd: Southport (H) (38/42)

We got off to a good start as on the 11th minute we took the lead with a well struck effort from S.Richman which gave the Southport keeper no chance of saving. Six minutes later it was two nil with C.Sheringham curling in from just outside the area. We were controlling the game and on the 36th minute we had another chance to score as S.Torpey beat the offside trap and fired towards goal but the Southport keeper saved well. I made one change at half time with A.Tiday coming on for C.Sheringham. The second half was a lot quieter as the Southport team shoved everyone back into defence and we struggled to get through.

Alfreton Town 2 S.Richman 11, C.Sheringham 17

Southport 0

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, E.Nwadike (capt), S.Richman, C.Sheringham (45-A.Tiday), S.Torpey

April 5th; Redditch (H) (39/42)

Redditch began the better and six minutes into the game they took the lead with a rasping effort which flew past G.Teague and into the back of the net. On the 12th minute though we levelled the scores as S.Torpey curled the ball in from a 25 yard free-kick after C.Sheringham was brought down on the way to goal. On the half hour we had a clear cut chance to score as M.Barnard fired wide from the penalty spot after E.Nwadike's effort was handled in the area. Seven minutes into the second half we took the lead as S.Torpey hit a thunderous effort from outside the area after running onto a loose ball in the midfield. On the 65th minute I made a couple of changes with M.Ebdon and A.Tiday coming on for S.Richman and A.Tiday. We weren’t giving Redditch anything of the ball and with three minutes remaining in the game we made it 3-1 as C.Sheringham headed in from a M.Ebdon corner after A.Tiday's initial effort was diverted past the post.

Alfreton Town 3 S.Torpey 12, 52, C.Sheringham 87

Redditch 1 A.Rigoglioso 6

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, E.Nwadike (capt), S.Richman (65-M.Ebdon), C.Sheringham, S.Torpey (65-A.Tiday)

April 12th: Gateshead (A) (40/42)

Six minutes into the game Gateshead took the lead as N.Luscombe showed up my defence and keeper with some great skill to fire into the empty net. On the 13th minute M.Bradford managed to score but the ball went past G.Teague for an own goal. Eight minutes later Gateshead grabbed another goal with D.Dowson beating the offside trap and dinking the ball over my keeper. On the 27th minute we pulled a goal back as S.Richman curled in from the edge of the area. During the interval I went mad at my players. I brought on M.Ebdon for E.Nwadike. Four minutes into the half we made it 3-2 as C.Sheringham ran onto an A.El Kholti through ball and slotted home under the keeper. We were looking the better side now and on the 68th minute we levelled the scores with a fine strike from M.Ebdon which gave the Gateshead keeper no chance to save. However we let ourselves down as straight from kick off C.Flynn gave Gateshead the lead back. With twelve minutes remaining in the game we had another chance with C.Sheringham running through the defence and into the area but the Gateshead keeper reacted well and managed to smother the ball

Gateshead 4 N.Luscombe 6, M.Bradford 13 og, D.Dowson 21, C.Flynn 69

Alfreton Town 3 S.Richman 27, C.Sheringham 49, M.Ebdon 68

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, E.Nwadike (capt) (45-M.Ebdon), S.Richman, C.Sheringham, S.Torpey

April 19th: Histon (H) (41/42)

Two minutes into the game we took the lead as E.Nwadike showed some silky skill to beat the defence and wasted no time in firing past the Histon keeper. On the 11th minute we made it 2-0 as M.Barnard headed in from a C.Taylor cross. Eleven minutes later we added another goal as A.El Kholti ran in from the wing and curled the ball over the keeper and into the back of the net. We were controlling the game and on the 36th minute A.El Kholti scored again with a low effort which gave the keeper no chance of saving. With a minute remaining in the half we made it 4-0 as C.Sheringham ran past three defenders and fired in off the upright. The second half as much the same as we continued to dominate but we struggled to get close to the goal. On the hour I made a change with A.Tiday coming on for S.Torpey. With ten minutes remaining in the game Histon were reduced to ten men after L.Byles was sent off for a second yellow card

Alfreton Town 5 E.Nwadike 2, M.Barnard 11, A.El Kholti 22, 36, C.Sheringham 44

Histon 0

G.Teague, R.Clarke (60-D.Magee), M.Barnard, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti, E.Nwadike (capt), S.Richman, C.Sheringham, S.Torpey (60-A.Tiday)

April 26th: Workington (H) (42/42)

We controlled the majority of the game and on the 11th minute we had the chance to take the lead but S.Torpey somehow managed to miss the target from six yards after beating the defence and keeper. Nine minutes later we came close again with a low effort from S.Richman which beat the keeper but not the upright. It was one way traffic and with three minutes remaining in the half S.Torpey gave us the lead with a powerful effort from the corner of the area. I made one change at half time with C.Mitchell coming on for A.El Kholti, I also changed the formation to a 4-3-3. The second half was much the same as we continued the forward pressure and just before the hour we double the lead as C.Sheringham headed in from a S.Richman cross. Workington weren’t getting anywhere near the ball and with ten minute remaining in the game Workington were reduced to ten men as M.Howard was given a second yellow card which was followed by the red

Alfreton Town 2 S.Torpey 42, C.Sheringham 59

Workington 0

G.Teague, R.Clarke, M.Barnard, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, C.Taylor, A.El Kholti (45-C.Mitchell), E.Nwadike (capt), S.Richman, C.Sheringham, S.Torpey

May 4th: My physio has informed me that S.Torpey will be out for around a week with food poisoning

May 5th: The physio has let me know that M.Harcourt will be out for around 2-4 weeks after damaging his shoulder

Next up the FA Trophy Final

May 18th:Woking (Wembley, London) FA Trophy Final (Part One)

We began well and on the 7th minute we took the lead as C.Sheringham fired in under the keeper but his goal was ruled out for a foul in the build up. Twelve minutes later we had another chance as B.Moss showed J.Keith a clean pair of heels but his final effort went wide of the post. On the half hour we took the lead as S.Torpey curled the ball in from 25 yards after C.Flanagan was brought down by N.Ardley. Just before the half time interval we had another chance with C.Sheringham running towards goal but before he had the chance to shoot D.Lupp slid in and cleared the ball.

Half Time Score 1-0

I made one change at half time with M.Ebdon coming on for C.Taylor. Six minute into the half we took a two goal lead as E.Nwadike headed in a B.Moss cross. Straight from kick off though Woking piled forward and R.Elvins fired under G.Teague. On the 54th minute Woking made a change with G.Purcell coming on for D.McInnes. Two minutes later Woking levelled the scores with T.Sparv running onto a R.Carpenter through ball and curled the ball past G.Teague. On the 69th minute Woking made another change with T.Binnion coming on for J.Cade. Nine minutes later they made their final change as L.Johnson came on for D.Jupp. With six minutes remaining in the game we had the chance to score the winner with S.Torpey heading straight into the keepers arms when it was easier to score.

End of Ninety Minutes 2-2

FA Trophy Final: (Part Two)

Before the restart I brought on S.Richman for B.Moss. Eight minutes into extra time we had the chance to take the lead as S.Torpey rattled the upright from inside the area after beating the Woking defence. On the 113th minute Woking should have scored as B.Dennehy showed some skill to beat R.Clarke but G.Teague was alert enough to smother the ball. On the stroke of full time we had another chance with C.Sheringham firing wide of the post after beating the offside trap.

The game went to penalties and we won toss the and decided to go first

M.Ebdon stepped up and fired with power past the keeper (1-0)

J.Keith was first for Woking and fired past G.Teague (1-1)

W.Antwi was next for us and he fired towards goal but S.Jalal saved well (1-1)

N.Ardley was up for Woking and curled the ball past my keeper and into the back of the net (1-2)

C.Sheringham stepped up and hit the ball towards goal but his effort was dire and flew over the goal (1-2)

B.Dennehy stepped up for Woking and wasted no time in blasting the ball past G.Teague who didn’t move (1-3)

To stand any chance we had to score and R.Clarke did that with a powerful effort (2-3)

R.Carpenter strode up for Woking and showed no nerves as he fired under G.Teague to give Woking the victory (2-4)

Alfreton Town 2 S.Torpey 30, E.Nwadike 51

Woking 2 R.Elvins 52, T.Sparv 56

Alfreton Town G.Teague, R.Clarke, A.El Kholti, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, C.Taylor (45-M.Ebdon), B.Moss (90-S.Richman), E.Nwadike (capt), C.Flanagan, S.Torpey, C.Sheringham

Woking: S.Jalal (capt), N.Ardley, J.Keith, D.Jupp (78-L.Johnson), C.Smith, T.Sparv, R.Carpenter, D.McInnes (54-G.Purcell), J.Cade (69-T.Binnion), B.Dennehy, R.Elvins

End of Season Squad:

| Pkd    | Inf    | Name                 | Position   | Morale    | Form      | Con    | Apps   | Gls    | Av Rat | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| -      |        | Chris Jackson        | GK         | Good      | 6-7-5-7-7 | 97%    | 28     | -      | 6.82   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| -      |        | Glenn Teague         | GK         | Good      | 7-6-8-8-6 | 85%    | 32     | -      | 6.97   | 
| -      |        | Mark Barnard         | SW, D LC   | Very Good | 7-7-6-9-7 | 100%   | 28 (7) | 8      | 6.80   | 
| -      |        | Lee Jarman           | SW, D C    | Good      | 6-7-7-6-6 | 95%    | 11 (1) | 1      | 6.67   | 
| -      |        | Ryan Clarke          | D R        | Superb    | 7-5-8-7-6 | 79%    | 45 (2) | -      | 6.79   | 
| -      | Inj    | Michael Harcourt     | D RLC      | Good      | 7-5-8-7-5 | 54%    | 16 (4) | -      | 6.70   | 
| -      |        | Danny Hodnett        | D RC       | Good      | 8-6-7-8-6 | 93%    | 15 (1) | -      | 6.88   | 
| -      |        | Damian Magee         | D L        | Good      | 7-7-7-7-7 | 94%    | 26 (2) | -      | 7.00   | 
| -      |        | Will Antwi           | D C        | Superb    | 8-6-8-8-8 | 84%    | 44     | 6      | 7.07   | 
| -      |        | Matt Bradford        | D C        | Superb    | 7-7-8-8-7 | 85%    | 43     | 2      | 7.35   | 
| -      |        | Chris Howard         | D C, DM    | Good      | 7-7-6-6-7 | 95%    | 11 (3) | -      | 6.93   | 
| -      |        | Calum Taylor         | D/WB R     | Superb    | 7-7-9-8-7 | 77%    | 14     | -      | 6.93   | 
| -      |        | Abdelhalim El Kholti | D/WB L     | Very Good | 7-7-9-7-7 | 83%    | 46 (2) | 3      | 7.17   | 
| -      |        | Richard Bunning      | DM         | Good      | 7-7-9-7-5 | 96%    | 17     | 2      | 7.35   | 
| -      |        | Emeka Nwadike        | DM         | Superb    | 7-7-9-8-7 | 75%    | 49 (2) | 6      | 7.12   | 
| -      |        | Ashley Burbeary      | M LC       | Good      | 8-6-6-7-7 | 95%    | 7 (2)  | -      | 6.89   | 
| -      |        | Callum Flanagan      | M LC       | Very Good | 7-8-6-7-7 | 70%    | 15 (12)| 1      | 7.00   | 
| -      |        | Anton Brown          | M C        | Good      | 7-7-7-5-6 | 95%    | 14 (1) | -      | 6.93   | 
| -      |        | Marcus Ebdon         | M C        | Superb    | 6-7-7-7-7 | 77%    | 11 (5) | 3      | 6.94   | 
| -      |        | Simon Richman        | M C        | Very Good | 7-7-8-7-7 | 97%    | 5 (4)  | 2      | 6.89   | 
| -      |        | Ian Fitzpatrick      | AM R       | Good      | 7-6-6-7-6 | 94%    | 34 (1) | 5      | 7.11   | 
| -      |        | Ben Moss             | AM L       | Very Good | 7-7-7-7-7 | 78%    | 20 (11)| 1      | 6.84   | 
| -      |        | Steve Torpey         | AM LC, F C | Superb    | 8-7-8-7-7 | 75%    | 17 (1) | 4      | 7.06   | 
| -      |        | Mark Gulliver        | ST         | Good      | 7-6-7-6-6 | 93%    | 3 (4)  | -      | 6.57   | 
| -      |        | Harry Kelly          | ST         | Good      | 7-6-6-6-7 | 94%    | 1      | -      | 7.00   | 
| -      |        | Craig Mitchell       | ST         | Very Good | 6-8-7-7-7 | 96%    | 22 (12)| 14     | 7.06   | 
| -      |        | Charlie Sheringham   | ST         | Good      | 8-7-8-8-6 | 77%    | 47 (1) | 36     | 7.46   | 
| -      |        | Andy Tiday           | ST         | Good      | 7-6-6-6-7 | 97%    | 13 (16)| 7      | 6.69   | 
| -      |        | Tristram Whitman     | ST         | Good      | 7-6-7-7-7 | 94%    | 26 (6) | 12     | 6.88   | 

Conference North: Final Table

| 1st   | C     | Stafford     |       | 42    | 25    | 7     | 10    | 66    | 38    | +28   | 82    | 
| 2nd   | P     | Hinckley     |       | 42    | 24    | 9     | 9     | 62    | 40    | +22   | 81    | 
| 3rd   |       | Gateshead    |       | 42    | 23    | 10    | 9     | 76    | 51    | +25   | 79    | 
| 4th   |       | Southport    |       | 42    | 23    | 9     | 10    | 67    | 40    | +27   | 78    | 
| 5th   |       | Leigh        |       | 42    | 22    | 11    | 9     | 57    | 36    | +21   | 77    | 
[b]| 6th   |       | Alfreton     |       | 42    | 21    | 11    | 10    | 73    | 52    | +21   | 74    |[/b] 
| 7th   |       | Worcester    |       | 42    | 20    | 10    | 12    | 69    | 43    | +26   | 70    | 
| 8th   |       | Nuneaton     |       | 42    | 19    | 11    | 12    | 60    | 36    | +24   | 68    | 
| 9th   |       | Lancaster    |       | 42    | 17    | 15    | 10    | 44    | 27    | +17   | 66    | 
| 10th  |       | Redditch     |       | 42    | 19    | 5     | 18    | 55    | 59    | -4    | 62    | 
| 11th  |       | Blyth        |       | 42    | 16    | 12    | 14    | 49    | 40    | +9    | 60    | 
| 12th  |       | Workington   |       | 42    | 16    | 12    | 14    | 53    | 54    | -1    | 60    | 
| 13th  |       | Frickley     |       | 42    | 16    | 10    | 16    | 66    | 65    | +1    | 58    | 
| 14th  |       | Harrogate    |       | 42    | 13    | 12    | 17    | 52    | 63    | -11   | 51    | 
| 15th  |       | Gainsborough |       | 42    | 13    | 9     | 20    | 56    | 60    | -4    | 48    | 
| 16th  |       | Hucknall     |       | 42    | 12    | 11    | 19    | 43    | 51    | -8    | 47    | 
| 17th  |       | Hyde         |       | 42    | 12    | 11    | 19    | 52    | 74    | -22   | 47    | 
| 18th  |       | Histon       |       | 42    | 10    | 11    | 21    | 38    | 79    | -41   | 41    | 
| 19th  |       | Worksop      |       | 42    | 9     | 13    | 20    | 40    | 55    | -15   | 40    | 
| 20th  | R     | Droylsden    |       | 42    | 8     | 8     | 26    | 36    | 66    | -30   | 32    | 
| 21st  | R     | Stalybridge  |       | 42    | 8     | 6     | 28    | 38    | 81    | -43   | 30    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Moor Green   |       | 42    | 5     | 9     | 28    | 37    | 79    | -42   | 24    | 

Season Review: It was an up and down season. It was a little gutting missing out on the Play-offs by three points but in my opinion the cup run probably cost me and the team the chance of promotion. I will be looking to offload some of the players that I think are dead wood. This could make the start of the season a little difficult but I'm sure we will get through this

Euro 2008 Starts:

June 7th: Holland 2-0 Serbia

June 8th: Austria 2-0 Bulgaria, Portugal 2-0 Spain, Czech Republic 1-0 Germany

June 9th: Turkey 1-2 Switzerland, Sweden 2-0 Croatia

June 10th: Norway 0-3 France, Italy 1-1 England

June 11th: Bulgaria 1-1 Serbia

June 12th: Austria 0-2 Holland

June 13th: Germany 1-0 Spain, Czech Republic 1-2 Portugal

June 14th: Turkey 1-2 Sweden, Switzerland 2-0 Croatia

June 15th: France 1-0 Italy, England 2-0 Norway

June 16th: Holland 1-0 Bulgaria, Serbia 1-1 Austria

June 17th: Croatia 2-2 Turkey, Sweden 0-2 Switzerland

June 18th: France 1-0 England, Norway 0-1 Italy, Portugal 1-1 Germany, Spain 2-0 Czech Republic

Euro 2008 ¼ Final Draw:

Austria v Switzerland

Sweden v Holland

France v Germany

Portugal v England

June 19th: The Alfreton Town fans have spoken and C.Sheringham has been voted as the Fans Player of the Season

Euro 2008: ¼ Final: Austria 1-0 Switzerland

June 20th: Sweden 1-0 Holland (aet)

June 21st: France 2-1 Germany

June 22nd: Portugal 0-1 England

Euro 2008 Semi Final Draw:

Austria v England

Sweden v France

June 25th: Austria 0-0 England (England 3-1 pen)

June 26th: Sweden 0-1 France

June 29th: Euro 2008 Final:

England 0 A.Cole sent off 6

France 3 T.Henry 3, 54, F.Malouda 59

Season Review: 2007/08

Premier League: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool

Relegated: Q.P.R, Birmingham City, Reading

Championship: Ipswich Town, Bolton Wanderers Play-off: Fulham 2-1 Preston

Relegated: Cardiff, Yeovil, Nottingham Forest

League One: Doncaster Rovers, Brighton Play-off: Coventry City 3-0 Bristol City

Relegated: Bradford, Swansea, Lincoln, Bournemouth

League Two: Bristol Rovers, Macclesfield, Port Vale Play-off: Hartlepool 3-0 Darlington

Relegated: Halifax, Mansfield Town

Conference National: Kidderminster Play-off: Exeter 1-0 Stevenage

Relegated: Burton, Altrincham, Tamworth, Vauxhall

Conference North: Stafford Play-off: Hinckley 2-0 Southport

Relegated: Droylsden, Stalybridge, Moor Green

Conference South: Weston-Super-Mare Play-off: Carshalton 2-1 AFC Wimbledon

Relegated: Eastbourne Boro, Bedford, Basingstoke

FA Cup: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa

League Cup: Manchester City 2-1 Manchester United

Community Shield: Chelsea 3-0 Arsenal

Johnstone Paint Trophy: Coventry City 2-2 Chesterfield (Coventry Pens)

FA Trophy: Woking 2-2Alfreton Town (Woking Pens)

Continental:

Champions Cup: Manchester United 3-2 Chelsea

Europa League: FC Bayern 2-1 Tottenham Hotspurs

Super Cup: Barcelona 2-1 Lyon

World Club Championship: America (MEX) (MEX) 3-1 Barcelona (ESP)

Euro 2008: France 3-0 England

It must be a bug in the game mate

July 1st: I have decided to release a load of players with M.Barnard, L.Jarman, C.Hallam, M.Ebdon, C.Howard, I.Fitzpatrick, H.Kelly, M.Gulliver, A.Tiday and A.Burbeary all released

July 3rd: Our first pre-season friendly sees us facing Airbus and we didn’t perform brilliantly with a 3-1 loss, C.Sheringham grabbed the goal for us but it came at a cost with M.Harcourt picking up a strained knee ligament and will be out for around 1-2 months

July 5th: Our net friendly sees us facing Barry and a good performance saw us win 1-0 with a fine strike from C.Sheringham

July 8th: We faced another game against Barry and this time we thrashed them 4-0 with C.Sheringham grabbing two goals and C.Mitchell grabbing the other two goals

July 11th: Our final friendly in Wales sees us facing Aberystwyth and only managed to draw 2-2 despite dominating the game. T.Whitman and S.Richman grabbed our goals

July 13th: We now started a tour of Scotland and our first game was against Gretna but we struggled to a 0-0 draw

July 15th: We next faced Forfar and beat them with ease 2-1 with C.Sheringham and T.Whitman grabbing the goals

July 17th: Next was Cowdenbeath who dominated the game but we held on for a 1-1 draw with C.Sheringham doing the honours for us

July 18th: I have made my first signing of the pre-season with Dean Harris joining us on a free, he is a 20yr old English GK

July 19th: We now faced Livingston but we were completely outplayed and they beat us 3-0

July 21st: Before the game against Crawley which we drew 1-1 thanks to an own goal I showed off my next signing with Sam Belton joining the Alfreton Town ranks from Crawley for a fee of £8,000, he is an 18yr old English ML

July 26th: More transfer news sees Michael Branch joining us from Dag & Red for £18,000, he is a 29yr old English AMR/FC

August 3rd: The final friendly of the pre-season sees us facing Matlock Town and we outplayed them and beat them 3-1 with T.Whitman, R.Bunning and C.Mitchell grabbing the goals.

After the game I was offered the U.S.A job, at first I thought it was a joke but once I was persuaded I accepted the job. We are in the World Cup 2010 Qualifying Group 2nd Phase Group One, We will be facing Guatemala, Jamaica and Panama

The FA have informed me that the U23's haven't got a manager and due to this I need to manage the side in the Beijing Olympics, however the squad has already been picked for the Olympics

August 7th: Iran U23 (Guangdong Olympic Sports Centre, Guangzho) Olympics 2008 Group D (1/3)

We dominated the opening minutes and on the 7th minute we had the first chance as J.Johnson slid through the defence with ease and fired under the Iranian keeper. Ten minutes later we had another chance with a curling effort which beat the keeper but not the upright. Just after the half hour we opened the scoring as J.Peterson showed some silky skill to beat his marker and fired past the keeper. The second half was seven minutes old when we doubled the lead as J.Altidore headed in a G.Rossi cross after he ran down the wing unmarked. On the 61st minute I made a double change with J.Mapp and S.Quaranta coming on for J.Peterson and J.Johnson. Iran weren’t getting near the ball and with nine minutes remaining in the game they were reduced to ten men after A.Karmi was sent off for a punch on J.Altidore. With a minute left on the clock we made it three nil as J.Altidore. On the stroke of full time Iran grabbed a goal with M.Oladi tapping in from close range

USA U23's 3 J.Peterson 33, J.Altidore 52, 89

Iran U23's 1 M.Oladi 90

B.Guzan (capt), F.Simek, J.Bornstein, N.Sturgis, J.Spector, J.Peterson (61-J.Mapp), F.Adu, M.Bradley, G.Rossi, J.Altidore, J.Johnson (61-S.Quaranta)

After the game I had to pick the squad for the forthcoming World Cup Qualifier against Panama

| Pkd     | Inf     | Name              | Position    | Club        | Height  | Weight  | Age     | Value   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| -       |         | Tim Howard        | GK          | Chievo      | 191 cm  | 84 kg   | 29      | £3.1M   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| -       |         | Kasey Keller      | GK          | Q.P.R.      | 188 cm  | 86 kg   | 38      | £300K   | 
| -       |         | Paul Rachubka     | GK          | Accrington  | 188 cm  | 85 kg   | 27      | £18K    | 
| -       |         | Michael Parkhurst | SW, D RC    | Plymouth    | 181 cm  | 77 kg   | 24      | £1.2M   | 
| -       |         | Drew Moor         | D RC        | FC Dallas   | 183 cm  | 78 kg   | 24      | £300K   | 
| -       |         | Ugo Ihemelu       | D RC        | Los Angeles | 183 cm  | 81 kg   | 25      | £160K   | 
| -       |         | Carlos Bocanegra  | D LC        | Fulham      | 182 cm  | 78 kg   | 29      | £1.4M   | 
| -       |         | Cory Gibbs        | D LC        | Charlton    | 191 cm  | 83 kg   | 28      | £1.5M   | 
| -       |         | Jay DeMerit       | D C         | Watford     | 186 cm  | 83 kg   | 28      | £575K   | 
| -       |         | Josh Reynolds     | D C         | -           | 190 cm  | 87 kg   | 20      | -       | 
| -       |         | Zak Whitbread     | D C         | Doncaster   | 188 cm  | 81 kg   | 24      | £55K    | 
| -       |         | Ricardo Clark     | D/WB R, DM  | Houston     | 178 cm  | 72 kg   | 25      | £300K   | 
| -       |         | John O'Brien      | D/WB L, DM  | Wigan       | 178 cm  | 74 kg   | 30      | £500K   | 
| -       |         | Tyler Donaldson   | WB/AM L     | Columbus    | 176 cm  | 75 kg   | 19      | £9K     | 
| -       |         | Danny O'Rourke    | DM          | New York    | 183 cm  | 77 kg   | 25      | £500K   | 
| -       |         | Clyde Simms       | DM, M RC    | D.C. United | 176 cm  | 75 kg   | 25      | £325K   | 
| -       |         | DaMarcus Beasley  | AM RL       | West Ham    | 173 cm  | 65 kg   | 26      | £6.5M   | 
| -       |         | Clint Dempsey     | AM RLC, F C | Blackburn   | 186 cm  | 79 kg   | 25      | £2.8M   | 
| -       |         | Eddie Lewis       | AM L        | Wolves      | 178 cm  | 73 kg   | 34      | £9K     | 
| -       |         | Rodney Perry      | AM L, ST    | Víkingur    | 174 cm  | 71 kg   | 26      | £9K     | 
| -       |         | Landon Donovan    | AM/F C      | PSV         | 173 cm  | 72 kg   | 26      | £3.4M   | 
| -       |         | Chris Rolfe       | F C         | Chicago     | 173 cm  | 68 kg   | 25      | £425K   | 
| -       | Wnt     | Jake Edwards      | ST          | -           | 186 cm  | 88 kg   | 32      | -       | 
| -       |         | Eddie Johnson     | ST          | Kansas City | 183 cm  | 78 kg   | 24      | £1.6M   | 

August 9th: Nuneaton (A) Conference North (1/42)

We began the season well and it wasn’t long till we had our first chance with C.Sheringham heading wide of the post from a M.Branch cross. On the 24th minute we came close again as B.Moss crossed into the area but S.Torpey mis-timed his volley and it went out. Seven minutes later Nuneaton came close with a rasping effort which was diverted wide of the post by W.Antwi. With four minutes remaining in the half we grabbed the lead as S.Torpey ran in from the wing and unleashed a great effort past the keeper. Just before the hour mark I made a double change with C.Flanagan and T.Whitman coming on for B.Moss and S.Torpey. We continued the pressure but on the 78th minute we were punished for attacking style as Nuneaton countered us and C.Carr fired past G.Teague. With four minutes remaining in the game we grabbed all three points as T.Whitman saw the keeper off his line and dinked the ball over from 20 yards

Nuneaton 1 C.Carr 78

Alfreton Town 2 S.Torpey 41, T.Whitman 86

G.Teague, R.Clarke, A.El Kholti, W.Antwi, M.Bradford, M.Branch, B.Moss (59-C.Flanagan), E.Nwadike (capt), S.Richman, C.Sheringham, S.Torpey (59-T.Whitman)

After the game I was informed that this was my 100th game in charge, my record up to now reads:

Won: 45

Drawn: 33

Lost: 22

For: 177

Against: 125

August 10th: China U23's (Guangdong Olympic Sports Centre, Guangzho) Olympics 2008 Group D (2/3)

A stunning start saw us a goal up within a minute with J.Johnson doing the honours from outside the area. On the 5th minute we grabbed another goal with J.Altidore running onto a G.Rossi through ball and fired under the onrushing keeper. We were controlling the game with ease and on the 19th minute we had another chance to score with G.Rossi curling the ball past the keeper but not the upright. Ten minutes later we had our next chance with a powerful effort from J.Johnson which had the Chinese keeper at full stretch to save. During the interval I made a couple of changes with J.Mapp and D.Szetela coming on for F.Adu and J.Altidore. Six minutes into the half we made it 3-0 with J.Johnson grabbing his second of the game with a low effort from inside the area. On the 69th minute China were reduced to ten men after Z.Xin was sent off for a rash challenge on M.Bradley. We continued to dominate the game and with three minutes remaining in the game we completed the rout with J.Johnson firing in his hat trick from close range

USA U23's 4 J.Johnson 1, 51, 87, J.Altidore 5

China U23's 0 Z.XIN SO 69

B.Guzan (capt), F.Simek, J.Bornstein, N.Sturgis, J.Spector, J.Peterson, F.Adu (45-J.Mapp), M.Bradley, G.Rossi, J.Altidore (45-D.Szetela), J.Johnson

With the victory we have qualified for the ¼ Finals of the Olympics

August 13th: Cameroon U23's (National Olympic Stadium “Birdnest”, Beijing) Olympics 2008 Group D (3/3)

Cameroon had the better of the opening exchanges and on the 10th minute they came close with a great team move which split my defence apart but B.Guzan was on hand to block the effort. Eight minutes later Cameroon had another chance to score with a well struck effort which had my keeper at full stretch to save. Just after the half hour we finally had the chance to score as J.Spector lobbed the ball up-field and J.Altidore half volleyed the ball just wide of the post. I made on change at the half time interval with N.Sims coming on for J.Johnson who was pretty dire in the first half. Six minutes into the half we grabbed a lucky goal as G.Rossi fired in a powerful effort towards goal which diverted off J.Peterson's boot and past the keeper. On the 74th minute we had the referee to thanks as he ruled out a Cameroon goal after the striker was adjudged to have fouled N.Sturgis in the build up. With four minutes remaining in the game I made my final change with D.Szetela coming on for M.Bradley

USA U23's 1 J.Peterson 51

Cameroon U23's 0

B.Guzan (capt), F.Simek, J.Bornstein, N.Sturgis, J.Spector, J.Peterson, J.Mapp, M.Bradley (86-D.Szetela), G.Rossi, J.Altidore, J.Johnson (45-N.Sims)

I have been informed that we are currently ranked 47th in the World Rankings

Beijing Olympics 2008: Final Group Tables

Group A:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Spain       |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 2     | +4    | 6     | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Senegal     |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | Mexico      |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 5     | -1    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Ivory Coast |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 2     | 8     | -6    | 0     | 

Group B:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team  |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Brazil|       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 8     | 1     | +7    | 7     | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Italy |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 1     | +6    | 7     | 
| 3rd   |       | Ghana |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7     | -6    | 1     | 
| 4th   |       | Japan |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 8     | -7    | 1     | 

Group C:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Argentina      |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 2     | +5    | 7     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Holland        |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 5     | 
| 3rd   |       | Czech Republic |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 4     | 
| 4th   |       | New Zealand    |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | 8     | -8    | 0     | 

Group D:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 1st   | Q     | U.S.A.   |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 8     | 1     | +7    | 9     |[/b] 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Cameroon |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | Iran     |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 2     | 
| 4th   |       | China    |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7     | -6    | 1     | 

August 13th: Panama (Frank Yuell Field, Oakland CA) World Cup Qualifier 2nd Phase Group 1 (1/6)

It was now the first teams go and we dominated with ease. On the 12th minute we took the lead as R.Clarke ran in from the wing and fired with power past the near side of the keeper. Ten minutes later it was two nil as C.Rolfe jinked his way past two defenders and unleashed a daisy cutter past the Panama keeper. However on the 25th minute we let ourselves down as a slip in concentration saw A.Garces pull a goal back for the away side. Three minutes into the second half we regained our two goal cushion as C.Rolfe fired in his second of the game with a low effort which gave the keeper no chance of saving. On the 55th minute I made a double change with J.Edwards and E.Lewis coming on for R.Clark and E.Johnson. We continued to dominate the game but on the 85th minute another slip in concentration saw L.Lee heading in past K.Keller who was slow to react to a high cross. Yet again though we responded and deep into injury time L.Donovan fired on a 35 yard thunderbolt past the outstretched arms of the Panama keeper

USA 4 R.Clarke 12, C.Rolfe 22, 48, L.Donovan 90+3

Panama 2 A.Garces 25, L.Lee 85

K.Keller (capt), U.Ihemelu, C.Gibbs, C.Bocanegra, J.DeMerit, D.Beasley, C.Dempsey, R.Clark (55-J.Edwards), L.Donovan, C.Rolfe, E.Johnson (55-E.Lewis)

Other Group 1 Result: Jamaica 0-1 Guatemala

Hyde (H) (2/42)

Whilst I was in America dealing with my national side my club side Alfreton were playing Hyde. However we didn’t seem to play very well and on the 24th minute Hyde grabbed the lead with a well worked goal which saw G.Teague being lobbed from the edge of the area. Five minutes later we were forced into a change as D.Hodnett came on for the injured M.Bradford. Hyde were all over us and we somehow managed to make it to the half time interval without conceding again. During the break my assistant brought on C.Flanagan for B.Moss. The second half was again all Hyde who controlled much of the play with ease. On the 64th minute T.Whitman was brought on for E.Nwadike. Luckily for us Hyde were struggling to get a shot on target and we managed to only lose by the one goal.

Alfreton Town 0

Hyde 1 D.Johnson 24

G.Teague, R.Clarke, A.El Kholti, W.Antwi, M.Bradford (inj 29-D.Hodnett), M.Branch, B.Moss (45-C.Flanagan), E.Nwadike (capt) (64-T.Whitman), S.Richman, C.Sheringham, S.Torpey

After the Hyde game my physio informed me that M.Bradford will be out for around 1-2 weeks after straining his neck

August 14th: The draw for the Beijing Olympics 2008 ¼ Final has taken place and is as follows:-

Spain v Italy

Senegal v Brazil

Cameroon v Argentina

Holland v USA

August 16th: Blyth (A) (3/42)

Six minutes into the game Blyth had the first chance with a low effort which beat my keeper but not the upright. Ten minutes later we came close to opening the scoring as C.Sheringham rose above the defence and headed a S.Richman cross wide of the post. On the 24th minute Blyth were close to taking the lead as they broke through my defence with ease but before they had the chance to shoot G.Teague sprinted off his line and smothered the ball. With eight minutes remaining in the half Blyth scored as B.Christenson diverted the ball past his keeper for an own goal. During the interval I made a double change with S.Belton and T.Whitman coming on for B.Moss and S.Torpey. Four minutes into the half Blyth levelled the scores with a well struck effort from J.Halliday which gave my keeper no chance of saving. On the 53rd minute Blyth were reduced to ten men after D.Hamlin was sent off for a second yellow card. My players responded to the sending off by piling forward but for all our pressure we struggled to get through apart from with a minute remaining as C.Sheringham fired in under the Blyth keeper to give us all three points

Blyth 1 J.Halliday 49

Alfreton Town 2 B.Christenson 37 og, C.Sheringham 89

G.Teague, R.Clarke, A.El Kholti, W.Antwi, D.Hodnett, M.Branch, B.Moss (45-S.Belton), E.Nwadike (capt), S.Richman, C.Sheringham, S.Torpey (45-T.Whitman)

Archived