How to get any kind of defense whatsover?

For the first time in 20 years of CM/FM I'm about to bin the game with only a couple of seasons played. I usually start up one game on releaseday and stick to it until the next game is released. I usually start in England as low as I can get and work my way up through different teams, leagues and levels. My tactical approach has always been the same, look at what players I got and what formations I can play with them. Then I start out simple and work out the kinks and flaws as I catch them. In every game so far I have been able to build a few tactics that works out with a few tweaks here and there to fit the teams and players I got.

This year I'm not even close to work out a tactic that can even keep me employed for a full season. No matter what I do for defense I can't get it to work. I have tried 2 and 3 DCs, with FBs and/or WBs or no wide defenders at all. I have tried to support them with DMs and more defensive wingers. I have read lots of threads on here and tried different ideas and suggestions and nothing has worked. I know I don't have the best players and I only played low level teams with various quality, expectations and resources. The one common thing is the total inability to defend. I'm giving up goals and scoringchances right left and center, full backs seems to always be overrun and/or out of position, centerbacks seem to always be on the wrong side of the opposition players. My defenders average ratings are always so far below par that none of them actually deserve salary or game time. It seems that as soon as I find a flaw and sort it it opens up 3 new ones that I can't handle without opening up a few others.

I know there has been discussions that defense is flawed in the game but there are still people that manage to find ways to work around that and succeed with their teams. Is there anyone that might have any ideas on how to build a decent defense suitable for lower levels and the mediocre players available at these levels? I would appreciate the help to actually find any enjoyment whatsoever in this years game. It feels like I have tried everything without any luck.

I have already read the threads above.

Tried your suggestions and it is a bit better but still far from acceptable. My deep defensive line is still leaving horrible amount of space behind them for opponent players to work with. They are still leaving totally open opponents in the penalty area, even in the 6 yard box. They also seem a lot more interested in running beside the ball than actually touch it even if they could get a very easy clearance in.

I have written an article on pressure that also details how your D-line works. Might be worth a read. You may need to deploy a sweeper keeper or a sweeper to deal with gaps.

Remember as well, that if you set up deep, then you encourage teams to come at you. Sometimes its best to defend from the front or press high up with a higher d-line, to compress and pressurised the opposition.

Yeah I started to drop the defensive line because they always got caught on the wrong side of the opponents attacks, always someone that was close enough home to break the offside but usually nowhere near anyplace useful to defend.

Archived