Is this 4-1-1-3-1 possible?

Hi everyone, just a quick questions on this formation. I just wanted to know if you thought it was realistic to expect much from it.

In my last 2 seasons I have played a 4-3-3 with 1-DM, 1-DLP, 1-BTB and then two inside forwards and the striker. I finished 5th and 8th.

But I signed Quintero and have him out wide and have wanted to play Ben Arfa off the striker and his best rated postion is the Trequista.

I've tried this away at Cardiff and just lost 1-0. What are you thoughts on how it looks? I've thought about going with Cabaye and Tiote as flat midfielders, rather than Tioet sitting in DM but I hate the idea of not having a DM when I'm not one of the top top teams, especially away.

I'm debating going back to the 4-3-3 because I can just see me getting paranoid every time I drop points. But I just wanted people's thoughts especially if they have used it.

Note: Tiote is half a star better as a BWM than he is as a CM.

The Screenshot has Ben Arfa in an advanced playmaker role, but he was a Trequista for the match I played.

db031f0b-c655-4496-9f35-ffd14a78b4c5.jpg?t=1383920753

16d90c3f-dbf8-4a00-903d-637ec7463570.jpg?t=1383920828

Firstly, if you've just changed to this formation - what is the familiarity level like? Could that be a reason why you've not got the results straight away?

Also are some of your team instructions counter intuitive? Having 'Run At Defence' and 'Shoot On Sight' seem to go against a possession style game which seem to be what you're after?

There's also the theory of having one winger on support duty in front of an attacking full back, but I don't really buy into that.

Firstly, if you've just changed to this formation - what is the familiarity level like? Could that be a reason why you've not got the results straight away?

Also are some of your team instructions counter intuitive? Having 'Run At Defence' and 'Shoot On Sight' seem to go against a possession style game which seem to be what you're after?

There's also the theory of having one winger on support duty in front of an attacking full back, but I don't really buy into that.

The familiarity is about 3/4 the way up. But my familiarity levels drop over pre-season anyway, so they would have been the same for 4-3-3 as well.

I agree with the instructions. I much prefer these than the sliders, but it does my head in at times worrying if one is gonna cancel out the other. I know some turn red to indicate it, but they should turn some others (like the ones you suggested) yellow, to hint that they might be contradictory.

Well, why did you lost it? It might be due to a lot of things. Having a weird shape doesn't mean it can't work. You'll need to find the suitable players (for example, I believe that if you're using a weird shape then you should look for a high teamwork in a player) and give them the right instruction.

If you think about it the Catenaccio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenaccio) had a weird shape, but it worked pretty well.

What I can say from your formation is that you have 2 wingers set to attack, while Muriel is the only one in the box (and he's not the best header IRL, don't know about the game). I would also make sure my DLP is coming deep, since he starts from a more advanced position on a support duty.

I agree with what's been said. I think I'm gonna go back to 4-3-3 as I think that suits my midfield more. I have some powerful players in Diame and Sissoko as a box-to-box. I was just overly keen to get Ben Arfa behind the striker. Nevermind... I appreciate the feedback, lads!

Golden, if you want to continue trying this, there is a way, set it up as an asymetrical 4-2-3-1 i.e, it makes it abit more natural and feasible in terms of shape.

____ST_____

LW-_CAM_-RW

__LCM_____

______RDM___

LB-CB-___-CB-RB

Had alot of success with this formation in FM11.

Golden, if you want to continue trying this, there is a way, set it up as an asymetrical 4-2-3-1 i.e, it makes it abit more natural and feasible in terms of shape.

____ST_____

LW-_CAM_-RW

__LCM_____

______RDM___

LB-CB-___-CB-RB

Had alot of success with this formation in FM11.

Cheers mate... That certainly looks a lot less exposing. I think once I establish myself as a top team (if I do) I'll be able to play two flat midfielders.I just feel vulnerable at the minute

Archived