*Official* CMS Challenge 2004 #3 - The Country Lad’s Challenge by Educated Hick

Raptor

As per the outcome of the second round vote, this is the last-ever CMS challenge. icon14.gif

************************************************************************************************

You are a country boy. Raised in a village or town amidst the fields of your country, you show an ability to manage a football team at an early age. One day, your local side calls you and asks you to manage them, thus launching a career that will see you reach as far as you can go.

Stage One- The start of your career.

You start out at your local side in a town or village of fewer than 25,000. (You may edit in a side from the lowest league in your country of choice.) Here, you can only sign players and staff of your nationality. You are to stay here until you reach the League, (i.e. the Third Division or German Second Division or Serie C1A) and avoid relegation for one season.

Stage 2- The Lights grow brighter.

Having become a local legend by establishing your local side in the League, it’s time to move on. Go to a small city of population between 25,000 and 100,000 in your country and take a team from that city to the second highest division and stay up for a year. You must bring a player and a staff member from your local side with you to this club. You are also only allowed to sign players of the nationality of the country.

Stage 3- The Bright Lights of the Big City.

Having become a legend in your local town and a hero in the provincial city, now you head on to the big city of 100,000- 1,000000 in the country you reside in. You’re to take a side in this city and win the top division. You’re to only use players of the country you reside in to win the title. You must also bring a staff member from your local and provincial sides with you to the job.

The World Stage.

Having become the top man in your country, it’s time to head to a different country. You are to head to one of the great cities of the world (London, Berlin, Paris, Glasgow, Rome, Milan, Moscow, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Athens, and Amsterdam) and take a team from that city and win the Champion’s Cup or UEFA Cup. You must bring in three staff, one each from your previous clubs, but the player restrictions no longer apply.

The final Mountain.

By now, having conquered the world stage and become famous all over the world. It’s time to head back to your home country. Take the national side and depending on the size and footballing talent, aim to win or reach the knockout stages of both the World Cup and Euro championship.

************************************************************************************************

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per the outcome of the second round vote, this is the last-ever CMS challenge. icon14.gif

You are a country boy. Raised in a village or town amidst the fields of your country, you show an ability to manage a football team at an early age. One day, your local side calls you and asks you to manage them, thus launching a career that will see you reach as far as you can go.

Stage One- The start of your career.

You start out at your local side in a town or village of fewer than 25,000. (You may edit in a side from the lowest league in your country of choice.) Here, you can only sign players and staff of your nationality. You are to stay here until you reach the League, (i.e. the Third Division or German Second Division or Serie C1A) and avoid relegation for one season.

Stage 2- The Lights grow brighter.

Having become a local legend by establishing your local side in the League, it’s time to move on. Go to a small city of population between 25,000 and 100,000 in your country and take a team from that city to the second highest division and stay up for a year. You must bring a player and a staff member from your local side with you to this club. You are also only allowed to sign players of the nationality of the country.

Stage 3- The Bright Lights of the Big City.

Having become a legend in your local town and a hero in the provincial city, now you head on to the big city of 100,000- 1,000000 in the country you reside in. You’re to take a side in this city and win the top division. You’re to only use players of the country you reside in to win the title. You must also bring a staff member from your local and provincial sides with you to the job.

The World Stage.

Having become the top man in your country, it’s time to head to a different country. You are to head to one of the great cities of the world (London, Berlin, Paris, Glasgow, Rome, Milan, Moscow, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Athens, and Amsterdam) and take a team from that city and win the Champion’s Cup or UEFA Cup. You must bring in three staff, one each from your previous clubs, but the player restrictions no longer apply.

The final Mountain.

By now, having conquered the world stage and become famous all over the world. It’s time to head back to your home country. Take the national side and depending on the size and footballing talent, aim to win or reach the knockout stages of both the World Cup and Euro championship.

Cheers for the congrats guys. Nice website Euan! As for the log, this will be the space for it. Just list yourself in this thread and a link and I'll read it and write a short summary and progress report for it in here. Also, any questions and clarifications should be asked here. Good luck to all that try this challenge!

Edinburgh is now be a "world city." playable only in the fourth stage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Educated Hick:

Also, any questions and clarifications should be asked here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got that right. icon_smile.gif

1) The goals sound easy enough for a large league (England, Spain, Italy, etc.) but what about the smaller leagues such as, let's say, Ireland? Would I be right in assuming for those 2-division leagues that the objectives would be something like:

- Promote team from >25,000 city to Premier and stay up.

- Promote team from 25,000-100,000 city to Premier and stay up.

- Win Premier with 100,000-1,000,000 city.

2) Do you need to leave the team as soon as you achieve the objective or can you stay on if a job hasn't opened up yet?

That should be enough info to allow me to start my attempt. *smirks* icon_wink.gif

Pieroth, you're a smart-ass. icon_biggrin.gif

I have given some thought to 2-divsion leagues and your outline seems reasonable enough for 2 divsion leagues. So, your plan will be implemented for 2 divsion leagues.

As for the "leave or stay" I figure you may as well stay one season longer after achieving the goal which will give you time to look for a job. You must have gone on by the time the following season ends.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carrplos:

As I haven't been paying attention lately, why is this the last ever challenge? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is the last CM Challenge because the next one will be the first FM Challenge

If we decide to do the challenge in a three league country, would it be:

- Small team from Div 3 to Div 2

- Medium team from Div 2 to Div 1

- Big team just win Div 1

Or would we have to get the big team promoted from div 2 to div 1, then win div 1? If you know what I mean icon_smile.gif

Euan, follow the challenge guidelines. take the small town to the hird division and stay up. Then take the medium city to the second divsion and stick. Then take the large city, make it to the top divsion and win the top divsion.

Here's the key thing to note about about this challenge. I haven't given you a starting divsion for any of the stages. So, once you get your local side to the League, then you can either go to a city that meets the requirements in eithier the third divsion or lower. Basically, you can go to any city that meets the population parameters and is at least one divsion lower than the goal trying to be achieved.

I have a question.

There are three divisions/leagues in Denmark, but you can't start lower than the third best. So, is it something like:

Second Division -> First Division

First Division -> SuperLeague

SuperLeague -> Champion

????

Also, I am not sure there are any teams there with less than 25,000 people in the area. And you expect us to go from a small league to a big one? If I go to London... do I hav to take a top team or could I take over a small team from the city? Because I'd never get from even FC Copenhagen to Spurs.

Jesper- your idea for Denmark is fine. See Pieroth's two divsion plan for quidance.

As for the wold city stage- you have to take whatever job you can get in the city. Then take said team to CL glory.

I've been flipping through the CM database and checking population figures on the internet and I've coming to the conclusion that there are few towns with a football team in the game with population under 25,000. So I'm making an ajustment to the figures.

1. Under 100,000

II-100000-500000

III- 500000-1000000

Rember, for the first stage, the smaller the better. I hope this opens up some choices for ppl.

I just checked the census report for Halifax and they're a stage 2 city. You'll have to start with someone else. And yes, you have to move abroad for the fourth stage. I'm not making exceptions on that.

I just saw that Manchester and Liverpool have a shade under 500,000. They'll be counted as Stage 3 cities.

After discussion and consultation and checking population data, I have decided to revise the population parameters one final time.

The challenge is now set in stone. No further changes will be made to any of the stages.

Stage 1- Cities under 100K

Stage 2 100K-400K

Stage 3 400K or higher (World cities not elgible for this or any preceding stage)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azmundo:

Umm...eh...I am not Brighouse Town. That was just the start. I started with Halifax because the site that Euan posted said it only had 94 800 people <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that what you meant?

Second Entry 09/11/04

Azmundo- No progress

Eperor J- Third season with Mellerud. Finished 6th in prevuous two seasons. Curreently leads Second Division with 6 games

played.

Terk- Has made a reasonable start with Stanley.

Bazza- Doncaster. Attempting to turn Doncaster into an All-English squad. Doncaster

Educated Hick- Brigg Town. Decent start. Finshed seconfd in the Conference last season.

Brigg Town

Faramir- San Marino. Faces a long road, but could become a legend in San Marino. San Marino

Macdoud- Freucht. Nice start. Freucht

Challenge Log- Third Entry- September 15, 2004

Bazza-Doncaster- Continues to build all English squad. Debate over which Antem to be sung at Doncaster games!

Emperor J- Mellerud- Leagding the Second Division with 16 played.

Educated Hick- Brigg Town. Fist in Conference halfway through 02/03 season.

Faramir- San Marino- Put the club on good financial foting, but may havre alienated fans.

Mcdoud- Freucht. No updates.

Terk- Stanley. No updates.

Tyrone the Mag- Canvey Island. Off to a good start with a nice introduction. Canvey Island

I have a couple of questions for the Hick. I have chosen Scotland and I am assuming that in Phase 1 I need to get my team into Division Two and stay there for a season - correct? Also there is a restriction on the nationality of the players that I can sign. But what about players already in the team. Can I renew existing contracts for "foreign" players or do I need to let them expire?

Archived