AI managed clubs not retaining players as coaches?

Is it just me or does the game seem to let a lot of players just retire despite them having a desire to become a coach/manager/scout or whatever?

I just found an old save file which was from 2021 on the game. Phill Neville, Carragher, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard are all missing from the game, presumably meaning that the AI never asked them to go into some sort of coaching?

Some players (like Giggs and Vidic) went into coaching roles on my game, and I'm in summer 2020 now. Giggs turned into a very good coach (can't remember where he was working) so about a year after I joined Man Utd I brought him back as a coach. I don't specifically look to bring players back to their old clubs as staff, but Giggs was particularly good so it made perfect sense to bring him back

I've hired two of my retiring players as scouts, and the league news will occasionally mention the hiring of a former player as their new manager (not immediately post-retirement, but you would expect them to start out at a lower level.)

Archived