Kaizen - A process of continuous improvement

Northernpilgrim

As the title suggests, the aim of this career thread is to continuously improve, whether that be by improving the stature of the club I am with, or by improving my own career by moving to a bigger club. Along the way, I am obviously looking to rack up some kind of success at each club (success in each case, in line with the theme of the thread, being improving on the club's immediate past).

I am not going to post a list of Leagues loaded, as it is my intention to add and remove leagues throughout the course of the save, just to keep things fresh and to reduce the stress on my machine!

I am also not setting any strict rules for this career, but as stated above will be looking to improve my career every season.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a budget of just £75k to spend, and blew the lot on Dundee United left back Barry Douglas, and also got Emyr Huws on a fee free loan from Manchester City. I let Kevin Malaga and Chris Dunn go out on season long loans.

I signed 3 players: Jermaine Johnson on a free, Jerome Thomas on loan from West Brom, and Danny Pugh for £425k from Leeds. The Thomas loan cost me £12k per month for the season. I let more than 20 players leave, mostly on free transfers and loans, as beyond the first team, there wasn't much in the way of talent.

Once again a defeat away from home costing us top spot. Still, very happy to have gained promotion to the Premiership at the first time of asking. I had already decided that this team were not good enough, nor the finances healthy enough, to compete at Premiership level, so I was on the lookout for another role, although I only resigned after applying for (and being offered), the managers job at

Ipswich_Town.svg

Ipswich were relegated from the Premiership in 2013/14, and so there was certainly pressure to challenge for promotion in 2015, and I feel that it's a step up in class, despite having taken Charlton up, as The Addicks had been away from the Premier a long time, whereas Ipswich were demanding that they get straight back up.

Another decent season, another promotion, and a points tally that would have seen us up as Champions in almost any season, but Wolves were just too good. Ultimately, inability to convert draws into wins, especially between November and March, cost us the title. Another decision to be made, as this team have been there before, but I was minded to leave if an established Premiership team came calling.

I only added Lucas Digne for £12m from Lille, and Joel Matip for £27.5m from Schalke, and allowed a host of reserve players to leave, plus Fernando Torres (free) David Luiz for £15m to Manchester City, and Victor Moses for £7.5m to Everton. Torres and Luiz had both asked to leave, and Moses wasn't going to feature much.

Second place yet again, but annoyingly, just 5 minutes from winning the title when the ref gave a penalty that I was convinced should never have been given. The fact that the FA declined to comment makes me think we were robbed. There was plenty by way of consolation in winning the FA Cup, Europa League, and reaching the League Cup Final.

Having come second again, and despite this being Chelsea's best season in several years, the lack of financial firepower, with Roman Abramovich still at the helm but no longer ploughing in money, if a club with money to spend came in for me, I was going to move on. I did not expect what transpired, with a transfer kitty of over £150 million being offered by....

Arsenal_FC.svg

Finally, I have a Premier League title to celebrate, and I also picked up the League Cup again. All in all, a great season. Undoubtedly, the secret to our success was losing just once in the league after Christmas, which unfortunately was to my previous club, and London rivals, Chelsea. Never mind, winning the Premiership more than makes up for that.

I couldn't resist the opportunity to test myself on the international stage. I'm not looking to be an international manager long term, but the opportunity had to be taken. And for anyone who isn't sure, the country I'm in charge of is Serbia.

I did think twice about spending that much on him, but Chelsea were not in a mood to do me any favours by letting him go cheaply. They originally said £90m, but I went back with the £75m offer and got him. Regarding Man Utd, you'll have to wait and see!

I was delighted with that, losing only 1 league game during my spell in charge, taking Real Madrid from the bottom half, where relegation was a real possibility, to the Champions League places again. And I managed to win the Spanish Cup, which wasn't a priority for the board, but was for me as I wanted to continue my run of silverware. The only disappointing note of the season was the Champions League exit to Bayern Munich, which happened because of a major injury crisis, aggravated by a first half red card, which this time I had absolutely no issue with.

In terms of transfers, I raided old club Chelsea for Sebastien Corchia (£60m) and Cesar Azpilicueta (£19.75m), plus I bagged Jorge Lopez from Sevilla for £35m. Luis Suarez was allowed to leave for £21.5m to Juventus, and Alex Nasa joined Espanol for £1m.

I wasted no time in getting in some new blood to revitalise a team that would not be playing Champions League football this season, having finished 5th, which cost Jose Mourinho his job. Interestingly, he replaced me at Real Madrid.

ManUtd_TransfersHistory_zps632186b7.png

That's kind of the point, take a club, improve it, and move on. In my save game, Man City are the dominant force in England, having won 5 in a row before my Arsenal team stopped that run in 2017. Man Utd haven't won the title since 2011, although have made the Champions League every season until 2017/18, when missing out cost Mourinho the job. I'd love to topple Man City again, and then take Mancini's job, before moving on to a big European club, then international management again.

Archived