Work rate and positioning

I have noticed that a large number of the 'best' attacking players on the game tend to have low figures in these two attributes. For example, Messi and Ronaldo have 10 and 6 respectively for work rate and both have 5 for positioning.

My question is, would they be even better if these numbers were higher?

Positioning is only for defensive positioning (I spent ages rising that stat on an attacker only to learn it was a waste - I thought it would make him position himself in a better position to collect the ball as well but off-the-ball has all that sown up).

Work rate I really rate and it's a very desireable trait. In conjunction with concentration it'll roughly dictate how much of the game that player is in, to think Messi & Ronaldo in FM could be even more effective if they were in the game more!!

How much they influence a game though is up to other attributes too. Determined players will keep going for longer so you might *think* they have a higher work rate than their attribs suggest, the mechanism in which they work is different but in terms of general participation the outcome is (pretty much) comparable.

Work rate also tends to influence how much they will chase down the ball, track back, go looking for work or to make things happen etc. It's pretty important when combined with off-the-ball. A striker with good speed, off-the-ball & work-rate will always be on the move, looking for gaps and trying to make things happen.

Is there any drawbacks of a high work rate other than maybe getting knackered?

IRL Rooney I would say has a high work rate and at times it can lead to problem. For example, If he is working hard tracking back, closing down etc then he would overlook staying forward floating about looking for a bit of space between the lines. Whereas someone like Messi, who doesn't track back as much often finds himself in more threatening positions. Im not sure im explain myself right lol

I think there are two schools of thought on workrate.

With a higher work rate you can expect your player to get more involved in things, however the down side to this is that he might not be where you want him to be when you get the ball. ie if he is chasing back and making tackles, when you break.... where is he?

In attackers I generally view workrate as 'goal hanging', the lower their workrate, the more they will hang around the goal area waiting for a pass. In defenders..... well, low work rate defenders dont last long in my team.

Archived