When I get to wherever I may go...

sherm

"You're absolutely sure? He definately said it was Tommy?"

"Positive. I wouldn't lie about something like this would I?"

"He's supposed to be my friend. I just can't believe it"

"What are you gonna do about it?"

"I don't know yet. I need time to think, and I have to speak to Nicole too"

The devastating news that his assistant manager and trusted friend, Tommy Colbert, was working for his nemesis El-Haroon was a massive bombshell. Hunter could not believe it, and he had no idea what to do about it. He made his mind up to speak to Nicole that night, get her opinions on the situation and see what she thought

Before that though, there was another game to see through, and that saw a trip down to Hibernian in the SPL. Recent form had not been the best, and February had produced possibly the worst set of results since he had taken charge of the club, and this run continued in this game, as a poor performance only added to the disappointment of gaining just a point, or, as Barry Hunter saw it, dropping two more points. Siyabonga Nomvethe put his side ahead after 13 minutes, beating Kennedy to the ball and firing home, and the equaliser didn't come until 12 minutes from time, Nicolita and Nakamura combining to let in Aaritalo, who fired home with aplomb and secured his side a point

--

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, Barry. Please, come in"

The chairman sat with his guest opposite him. Barry recognised the face, but he couldn;t put a name to the face

"Barry, I'd like you to meet my guest. This is Peter-Hill Wood, chairman of Arsenal football club"

"It's great to finally meet you Barry. Myself and the board at Arsenal are big admirers of you and your work"

"Thankyou, that's a major compliment. What brings you to Glasgow though?"

"That's why your chairman invited you here today. We recently found out that Arsene will leave at the end of the current season, and we unanimously decided that we want you as our next manager"

"Wow. That is a bigger compliment than you could imagine. It has come as a bit of a shock to me, as I never expected it, and obviously I'll need to discuss it with a few people"

"Of course. I have left my number with your secretary, and when you have a decision, let me know and we can meet over lunch"

"Yes thankyou, I will let you know as soon as possible"

"I look forward to it Barry"

--

He had decided it best not to tell any of the players or staff, and kept it between himself and the chairman. It was a major decision, and one that could change the entire foundation of his career, so he had a lot of thinking to do. Plus, he had to discuss it with Nicole too. Even with all that, he still had a job to do at Celtic, and the second leg of the Champions League game was next for him and his side. After a 3-2 defeat to Schalke in Germany, they held the advantage of two away goals, so the key to this second leg was to not concede any goals

With this in mind, Hunter tweaked his formation a little bit, with five players packing the midfield and Zarate upfront on his own. Half an hour into the game, it was clear that he didn't relish this role, and craved for support, but the five man midfield was stopping the Schalke players from creating chances. However, they were not creating many themselves.

The second half was a little better though, as Zarate was replaced by McDonald, who was more suited to the lone striker role. It was a fairly dull half, and while, under normal circumstances, a 0-0 draw would have suited Celtic, they had to score. It looked like it wasn't going to come though, as stoppage time at the end of the game came. However, in the third minute, things changed. Rakitic played a loose pass, and Nakamura picked up the ball. He ran at the defence, before laying the ball to his left for Brazilian Guilherme to rifle home the goal. This was virtually the last kick of the game, and it ensured wild celebrations amongst the Parkhead supporters, and on the Celtic bench, and it booked their place in the quarter finals.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by salkster2102 :

great stuff as always sherm

KUTGW

Only just noticed this, so thanks a lot Salkster, it's good to know people are reading the story :)

---

He was still considering Hill-Wood's offer, and though he was tempted by it, Hunter felt he had unfinished business at Celtic. He had promised to make them into European Champions, and if he didn't do that he would feel bad if he left. However, it isn't too often that you get a chance to manage a club like Arsenal

Nicole seemed keen on the idea of London, and she had urged him to go and better himself. The chairman had been supportive, and although he admitted that he didn't want to lose a manager of his calibre, he wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to improve himself

The thoughts were still running wild in his head come the team's next game, which was the Scottish Cup Quarter Final trip to face Falkirk, a team he expected to beat and advance to the semi finals. This in mind, the likes of Bjarnason, Sheridan, Mark Brown, Monti and McGlinchey all came into the team, and they had all performed well in the games they had played, so Hunter was fully confident of the win. Their opponents had different ideas though, and within the first quarter of an hour, Brown had been busy, forced to make three saves, but on 21 minutes, the home side took a shock, but a well deserved lead, as the ball was played through and Carl Finnigan rounded Brown before knocking the ball into the unguarded goal. This woke up the visitors, and they made some chances of their own in the remaining 20 odd minutes, Sheridan missing the best of them as he fired wide from 6 yards out

The second half was all Celtic, as Hunter's side pushed forward in search of the goal (or goals) that would keep them in competition. Chances galore came and went, and as the end of the game approached, it looked as if they would be crashing out of the competition. However, Irish winger Aidan McGeady changed that, and he broke into the area in the second minute of stoppage time, before clipping the ball past the unfortunate Tim Krul and keeping them in the hat for the draw

--

You know that I could use somebody...

When your friend betrays you, whats the best thing to do? I don't want to pull him, I just want to kill him

I'm not going to do that. I have just two and a half months or so left this season. I am never going to get a better offer than Arsenal, at least this early in my career

Yes, I'm gonna do it. I deserve this chance. Nicole said she will come with me. We can get a house, she can get a teaching job down there, and I can make Arsenal greater than they are. Why not?

Barry Hunter picked up the phone, and dialled the direct number of Peter Hill-Wood.

"Hello. Ah Peter. Barry Hunter here. I've made my decision..."

Walking out with the team for the replay against Falkirk, he knew that only himself, the chairman, Peter Hill-Wood and Nicole knew he was leaving for the Emirates Stadium next season. The players didn't know, and he didn't intend to tell them until the season was decided. He wanted nothing to destroy their confidence, or make them lose games. They had to be fully focused. This game, as in the first tie, proved to be a difficult test, and in the 90 minutes, neither side could break the other. Tim Krul had what was possibly the best game of his career, as he kept out chance after chance, and virtually every Celtic outfield player had an effort on goal. Come the end of the 90, Hunter had watched his side have 23 efforts, to Falkirk's 4, and he wondered how it was going to extra time.

The extra half hour sometimes proves to be too much for teams, and this was the case for the visitors, who, despite battling hard, couldn't stop the two deciding goals in the second 15 minutes. The first came from the left foot of McGeady, who had gone into the box unnoticed and slid home Aaritalo's cross, before substitute Scott Brown wrapped it up with a free-kick in the final minute. The free-kick also led to the dismassal of Falkirk's Patrick Cregg, who was sent to the dugout for a second bookable offence, and Brown curled home the free-kick into the bottom corner to send his side into the Semis

Guys, thanks a lot for the compliments. It means everything to know people read what you write

And SCIAG - I felt it was a nice twist, and I've never actually managed Arsenal on this version of the game :)

---

The next game that Barry Hunter and his side were due to play was the most important (and possibly the biggest) of the season thus far. A fifth meeting of the season against Inverness CT was the match, but the game was at Hampden Park - the League Cup Final. Barry was at odds with his head and his heart, and although he felt like he wanted to stick with the players who got his team this far, he wanted to make sure he had the right blend to secure the win. In the end, when he filled out the team sheet, it looked like this ;

Boruc ; Wilson, Kennedy ©, Samba, Monti ; Donati, McGeady, Aaritalo, Bjarnason ; Zarate, Sheridan

It was a strong team, and one he knew was good enough to win the game. The pace that the game started at was a little surprising, a frantic, hard start from both sides, but on six minutes, Inverness, already the underdogs, were put even further in the mire, as Don Cowie was given his marching orders for a ridiculously stupid lunge, which brought down McGeady on the centre circle. There was no hesitation, and the underdogs were left to play 84 minutes with ten men.

They did well for twenty minutes, restricting Hunter's side to just one opportunity, which saw Bjarnason fire wide, but on 26 minutes, the floodgates opened. Mika Aaritalo combined well with Donati, who threaded the pass through for Argentinian Zarate, and the striker took one touch, and slammed the ball into the roof of the net. This was the start of the rampage, but the next twenty minutes saw no goals and the half time score remained at 1-0

The second half saw the fun and games start, and within nine minutes of the restart, the lead was doubled, McGeady with a jinking run into the box, which he could have gone down with, but he stayed on his feet and toe poked the ball past a helpless 'keeper. Six minutes later, it was 3-0 and the game was dead and buried, as substitute Nakamura swung a corner over and Chris Samba powered a fearsome header into the back of the net. That would have been a signal to take it easy and prepare for the next game, but that was not Hunter's style, and his team pushed on. Over the next eight minutes, they scored twice more, and forced the 'keeper into making save after save, that carrying on until the final whistle. Zarate's second of the game, a stunning bicycle kick, made sure the League Cup was spending a season at Parkhead, while the fifth was the icing on the cake, and Finnish winger Aaritalo curled home a glorious free-kick to seal a brilliant performance and Barry Hunter's first trophy as a manager

--

The players were allowed a couple of days off to celebrate their triumph, but were instructed not to go mental, as they still had work to do. Barry Hunter could not afford to take a few days off though, and he was busy bringing in another player to the ranks. Slovenian defender Milos Krstic was getting no playing time at Marseille, and with his contract due for expiry, Hunter had no hesitation in bringing the powerful defender to Parkhead for the next season. Despite knowing he was going to move onto pastures new, he still wanted to help his side, and would agree with the chairman that it was best he still acted as manager of Celtic

His next game in this role was one he expected his side to come away from with all three points, as Dundee Utd visited Parkhead for their SPL game. They clearly came for the point, and at half time, they had done everything right as the score of 0-0 suggested. Zarate, Hesselink, Zurawski and Samba had all had efforts saved, while Nicolita's runs down the right were causing all sorts of problems. The second half was when the game was decided, and goals from Guilherme, on 57 minutes, and Italian Donati on 75 minutes were enough to seal a hard earned three points and keep them well clear at the top of the table

"It will be strange Barry, I won't deny it. I'm not going to say it won't be a loss to not have a manager of your class with us, but I wouldn't deny you the chance to move on"

"It wasn't an easy decision, and I had to think long and hard. I just think it's a perfect chance for me and Nicole to start afresh"

"Have you sorted a house out?"

"Not yet no, but the club will put us up until we do"

"That's not bad then. When are you going to tell the players?"

"Not until the season finishes. I don't want anything to distract them from what we have to do"

The next stop on the season's games saw another meeting with old rivals Rangers. The Blue half of Glasgow would be looking for revenge after losing in the Scottish Cup, and with the League title all but gone, it looked for all the world as if they were going to finish trophyless for the season

Hunter was taking no chances, and he knew that six more points would be enough for them to win the SPL, so his strongest side took to the field. Whether it was the sign of the winning post, or whether they were fatigued, Hunter wasn't sure, but his side were terrible in the first half. Their only chance fell to Mauro Zarate on 22 minutes, his turn and shot going wide of the post, but the home side should have been three or four in front, with Ferguson, Darcheville, Cousin and Burke all missing glorious chances, but right on half time, captain Barry Ferguson broke free, neatly sliding the ball underneath Artur Boruc and sending his side in-front.

The second half was much improved, and a brand new Celtic side came out. Hunter had roasted them in the dressing room, and they came out all guns blazing, with McGregor having to make six saves in the first half hour. The equaliser just didn't look like coming, but on 75 minutes, Argentinian Mauro Zarate scored his 15th goal of the season, picking up Scott Brown's pass and firing home past the stranded Ranger's 'keeper. That sent the home side under, and ten minutes later, Brown turned it round, as he turned from provider to scorer and headed home McGeady's cross from 7 yards out. If that didn't demoralise the home side, then Zarate's second of the game, in stoppage time, certainly did, and put one hand of the green and white hoops on the SPL trophy

---

"Nearly there boss"

"I know"

"Really? I thought you'd be a bit more excited"

"Did you Tommy?"

"Well, yeah. We're 90 minutes away from the Double"

"As I said, I know"

"What's wrong?"

"Oh you care now you do?"

"What? I haven't got a clue..."

"I know Tommy, alright. I know you betrayed me and went to work for Zabs"

"What?! How?"

"Never mind. It's why I'm going"

"Going where?"

"Arsenal. Next season. I think it's best you clear your desk don't you? I can do the rest of the season without you"

"Don't be daft..."

"Get out Tommy. You were supposed to be my friend, and you betrayed me. Go!!"

So for the first time that season, Barry Hunter sat on the dugout without his assistant by his side, as his side faced Gretna, needing just three points to guarantee the title. He was hoping for a better start than against Rangers, and this was what he got. Irishman Aidan McGeady curled home from 12 yards on 8 minutes with his left foot, before he laid the ball off to Scott McDonald eleven minutes later, and the Aussie striker doubled the lead. More chances came and went, with Zarate, McDonald, Samba, Sno and Nicolita all missing opportunities, but ultimately it made no difference, and the final whistle signalled the league win for Barry Hunter, his second trophy on only his first managerial campaign. He dropped to his knees on the touchline, and lifted his arms to the sky, before being surrounded and embraced by his players, as they made a heap on top of him to celebrate their success

March 2008 Summary

(SPL unless stated otherwise)

Hibernian 1-1 Celtic

(Nomvethe 13 ; Aaritalo 78)

Champions League 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Celtic 1-0 Schalke 04

(Guilherme 90+3) Celtic go through on away goals

Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Falkirk 1-1 Celtic

(Finnigan 21 ; McGeady 90+1)

Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay

Celtic 2-0 Falkirk a.e.t

(McGeady 106 ; Cregg s/o 120 ; Brown 120)

Scottish League Cup Final

Inverness CT 0-5 Celtic

(Cowie s/o 6 ; Zarate 26, 62 ; McGeady 54 ; Samba 60 ; Aaritalo 68)

Celtic 2-0 Dundee Utd

(Guilherme 57 ; Donati 75)

Rangers 1-3 Celtic

(Ferguson 45 ; Zarate 75, 90+1 ; Brown 85)

Gretna 0-2 Celtic

(McGeady 8 ; McDonald 19)

League Position ; 1st (Champions)

"Come in"

Captain John Kennedy entered his managers office, holding a copy of that morning's newspaper

"What's the problem John?"

"Just seen this morning's news. Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"This..."

as he dropped the paper in front of his boss

"...about you going to Arsenal?"

"****. This wasn't supposed to be out yet"

"So it is true?"

"Yes it is. Sit down John, and I'll explain everything"

So, his chairman and his captain knew, but Barry Hunter had made sure his skipper knew not to tell the rest of the team. However, he was worried that it may be an adverse affect on his captain as his side prepared for the next game, which saw Italian side A.C Milan visit Parkhead for their Champions League Quarter Final. He knew it was going to be a very tough game, but he felt that if they could get themselves a good result in the match, they could give themselves a chance, so he instructed his side to keep it tight

Imagine then, his fury, when less than three minutes into the game, Milan got themselves a vital away goal, Kako and Pirlo combining to allow youngster Alexandre Pato through to power the ball home past Artur Boruc. Hunter was infuriated with his side, but they soon picked it up a bit, and chances fell to Zarate, McDonald and McGeady in the remainder of the half. The best one though, was a free-kick from Nakamura, which was flighted beautifully, and beat Dida all ends up before crashing against the bar and going over

The second half was similar, with both sides creating chances, but all told, Milan's class shone through. Everything that Celtic and Barry Hunter threw at them, they kept out. It was very nearly even worse, as Pato broke through with Kaka for a 2 on 1 sitaution, but the shot was wayward and 1-0 was how it remained, leaving the Bhoys with a hell of a lot of work to do in the return leg

Hunter's attempts to keep the news of his move to Arsenal under wraps had been in vain, and by 48 hours after the Milan game, virtually the entire squad knew of his plans. This had been what he wanted to avoid, but there was nothing he could do. He walked into the conference room, where he had instructed his players to gather, and took his place at the front of the room

"Right lads, settle down"

The noise slowly died down within two minutes, leaving Hunter free to speak

"Now, despite my efforts to keep the news to the end of the season, you all know I am leaving at the end of the season"

"What about the plans you had though boss, for the club, the players?"

"I still want those plans to be implemented, and maybe one day I could come back and manage here again. I love this club, it gave me my chance as a manager, and all of you sat here, you all won me my first trophies. However, there is a reason why I kept the news from you. I wanted you to get the results and have no distractions"

"But we've already got the double boss"

"That's the complacency I don't like. I want to win every game I manage, and we are still in two competitions. Admittedly, it's going to be hard work in Italy, but we have the Scotiish Cup Final. Now lets go and play football, and finish the season in style"

The side's next game was their 32nd SPL game of the season, and saw Hearts visit Parkhead, hoping for a win to try and push into the top six before the League split. They started the better, testing Boruc twice in the opening twenty minutes, but after this, Hunter saw his side battle back into it. Scott McDonald tested Hearts defence a couple of times, before Nakamura curled a free-kick just over. Half time brought a goalless scoreline, and also a change, with Hesselink replaced by Zarate. The Argentinian was the man who changed the game, and his constant presence caused a real threat to Hearts. Finally the breakthrough came, with Nakamura's slide rule ball finding Zarate, who took the ball on five yards and fired home a low drive past the helpless 'keeper. There could have been another one, as McDonald missed a glorious opportunity, but 1-0 brought three more points for the Champions

--

There wasn't much chance for restbite though, as the final game of the Split dawned just three days later, with one of the top six sides, Motherwell, making their way to Parkhead for the next League game. With a big game up next for his side, Barry Hunter took the chance to rest several of his first team regulars, including Zarate, Nakamura, Nicolita, Kennedy, Wilson and Boruc, so the side that took to the field had an average age of just 23.

The start was ferocious, and just 34 seconds into the match, the home side had the lead, Teddy Bjarnason playing a lovely ball to the incoming Scott Brown, and the right winger smashing the ball past the 'keeper from a very awkward angle. That should by all rights have sent the visitors into a shock, but it didn't. In fact, it only added fuel to their fire, and they were level within three minutes, a shocking back pass from young defender Monti allowing Connolly to nip in and slide home past Brown. Chances followed for both sides in the half, with McDonald, Bjarnason, Sheridan and Brown all testing the Motherwell 'keeper, but as it was, they only scored the one to go in at half time 2-1 ahead, McGlinchey's cross finding the head of McDonald and the Aussie striker netting his 13th goal of the campaign. The second half should have seen the Celtic players push on and grab a third, or fourth, but there was only one more goal in the game, and that came from Ross McCormack on 64 minutes, a delicate little chip over Brown and into the corner of the net. It was a disappointing result but a point is always better than none, and with Milan next, his players were full rested and raring to go

"This is it lads. The biggest game of the season so far. We do this, and we - sorry, you, are legends forever. Go out there and show these Italians that you are not scared of them"

Strong words, and a bold statement, but Barry Hunter was not one to hold back. He knew the capabilities of his side, and though very few teams visited the San Siro and won, he felt they could beat A.C Milan in their own backyard. However, after ten minutes of the match, his prediction and strong words had made him look a complete prat.

The home side had started phenomenally, with Kaka, on seven minutes, with a sublime 20 yard strike, and Ronaldo, on 9 minutes with a typical strikers goal, put Milan 2-0 ahead on the night, and a virtually unassailable 3-0 aggregate lead. The players though, to all their credit, didn't back down, and they still kept coming at the home side, and on 13 minutes, there was a glimmer of hope, Nakamura playing McGeady through and the Irishman sliding home beautifully underneath Dida. Milan didn't seem to want to commit though, and the rest of the first half saw Zarate, McDonald, McGeady and Nakamura all test the Brazilian goalkeeper, and to be going in at half time having had the better of the half

The second half started just as well, and this time, it was the green and white hoops who scored the main goal, the goal that equalised on the night, and gave his side a hell of a lot of hope. McGeady, scorer of the first, laid the ball of for Nakamura, who slipped it through to Zarate, and he fired home into the corner. That really saw the atmosphere pick up, and the 80,000 plus in the San Siro were cheering on for both sides. Celtic went for it, Zarate missing two good chances, and for a few minutes, they looked like they had a chance of one of their greatest European nights. It was another South American who put a dent in those hopes though, as Pirlo played in Kaka, and he hit the decisive goal to send his side through, leaving Hunter's hopes dashed, but knowing that they certainly gave it a really good go, and were within one goal of beating their far more illustrious opponents

--

"Mr. Hunter, may we come in?"

"Yes, please, come in"

The two police officers took a seat, stern looks on their faces

"We have some good news for you, regarding the man who we believed murdered your sister"

"Oh. Go on then, I'm listening"

"We found him yesterday morning. Dead"

"What? How?"

"We believe he was murdered. The post mortem is being conducted now. However, after some reserach, we believe he was using a false name"

"Oh. And...?"

"His real name is Zabil El-Haroon. You went to school together"

"What? Zabs. No, it can't be him"

"We need to ask you a few questions Mr. Hunter"

The bombshell that the police had dropped on him, although he would be lying to say he was disappointed to see the back of Zabs, was one he hadn't expected, but he managed to get his focus back for his side's next game, a trip to Hampden for their Scottish Cup semi-final against Kilmarnock. It was a game he wanted to win, and it meant they were 180 minutes away from completing a treble in his debut season as a manager.

The game itself, after the opening ten minutes, when Killie gave it a go, was never in doubt, and a four minute burst which saw three goals was the killer blow. Zarate started the ball rolling with a half volley on ten minutes, and less than sixty seconds later, it was 2-0, Scott Brown's cross beating everybody and finding it's way into the back of the net. On 14 minutes, Hesselink ended his goal drought with his first strike in three months, since playing Inverness in this same competition.

That first half burst knocked the underdogs cold, and they just didn't know what to do about it, although the burst seemed to slow the Bhoys down, and Hunter watched his side start the second half slowly, although on 68 minutes, Kilmarnock did pull a goal back, through Lee Fowler. It made no difference, and Hesselink's second of the game in stoppage time ensured the win and his side's safe passage through to the final and another trip to Hampden Park

Barry was still in shock from the news he had recieved from the police when his side prepared for his next game, which would see Motherwell entertain the Glasgow side for the first game of the League Split. The long hard season was drawing to a close now, and with so little time left, Barry wanted his side to send him off with a bang, and finish with a treble. Not just for him, but for them, for all their hard work and all their exceptional play on the pitch.

Yet again, as had been the case for the last game, Hunter saw his side start with a frantic pace, creating two good early chances, and just before the quarter of an hour mark, they took the lead, Brown and Nakamura combining to slip in Zarate, and the Argentinian striker nipped in to curl the ball home with a lovely finish. This send the fans into raptures, the 2,000 that had travelled down, and when the in-form Scott Brown curled home a 26th minute free-kick to double the lead, they got even louder. In all fairness though, the home side managed to pick it up, and virtually straight from the kick-off, they pulled a goal back, Scotland under-21 international David Clarkson headed home past Artur Boruc. This only angered the beast inside the green and white hooped shirts, and the two goal lead was restored on 36 minutes, Nakamura with a gem of a goal, as he beat four men, jinked round the 'keeper and slid into the unguarded net

The second half was, to say the least, a little quieter, although another good start gave them a fourth goal, the almost forgotten man Maciej Zurawski slid home past the 'keeper. Chances were still coming, and the Polish international, Zarate, Samba and Brown all missed good opportunities, but it made no difference and Hunter saw his side come away with a very good 4-1 win, and with Fir Park always a tough place to win, to win it that convincingly was a nice result

---

"What on earth are you doing?"

"Packing"

"Why where are you going?"

"London"

"Don't be so bloody daft, we're not going for another two months"

"I know, but I want to make sure we're prepared"

"You know, women baffle me more and more as we go"

Despite his protestations, Nicole insisted on packing early, so Barry left her to it and took his side onto their next game, as Aberdeen visited Parkhead for their next SPL game. Come the final shrill blow on the referees whistle, the visitors had been well and truly outclassed, as they succumbed to a 5-0 defeat, quite possibly his side's best performance this season

Phil Maguire didn't help his side's cause by getting himself sent off for a desperate two footed lunge on three minutes, and when Hunter saw his side capitalise by Hesselink's 11th minute strike, he wasn't sure how many they could get. Two minutes later, Chris Samba headed home his side's second, before a third from Sno on the half hour sealed it. The icing on the cake of the rout was on 35 minutes, Scott Brown continuing his excellent form, and despite a quiet second half, Donati's injury time goal sealed their biggest win of the season and sent Hunter into an exceptional mood

April 2008 Summary

Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg

Celtic 0-1 A.C Milan

(Pato 3)

Celtic 1-0 Hearts

(Zarate 73)

Celtic 2-2 Motherwell

(Brown 1 ; Connolly 4 ; McDonald 19 ; McCormack 69)

Champions League Quarter Final 2nd Leg

A.C Milan 3-2 Celtic

(Kaka 7, 81 ; Ronaldo 9 ; McGeady 13 ; Zarate 56) Milan win 4-2 on aggregate

Scottish Cup Semi Final

Kilmarnock 1-4 Celtic

(Zarate 10 ; Brown 11 ; Hesselink 14, 90+1 ; Fowler 62)

Motherwell 1-4 Celtic

(Zarate 14 ; Brown 26 ; Clarkson 29 ; Nakamura 36 ; Zurawski 51)

Celtic 5-0 Aberdeen

(Maguire s/o 3 ; Hesselink 11 ; Samba 13 ; Sno 30 ; Brown 35 ; Donati 90+1)

League Position ; 1st

Cheers Spav, as an avid supporter and regular follower of my work, it means a lot to know this has grabbed you :)

---

With the season drawing to a close, and just four games (including the Scottish Cup Final) to be played, Barry was starting to get emotional, as it began to dawn on him that he would not have much longer left at the club. They had given him his chance, and for that he was ever grateful, and one day, he hoped to return and maybe even finish off his career there

However, he had other things on his mind as his side followed him onto the Ibrox turf for their League game with rivals Rangers, who were yet to beat them. Little did he know just how good a game it would be...

The Glasgow Times

Zarate the Hero in Old Firm Thriller

Fans at Ibrox today were treated to the game of the season, as Barry Hunter's League Champions ran out as the victors in a seven goal thriller over their neighbours Rangers. The home side set out with an attacking mentality from the off, with Kris Boyd, Jean-Claude Darcheville, DaMarcus Beasley and Kevin Thomson all in the starting eleven, while Celtic countered it with their own attacking quartet up top

The scoring was opened on 19 minutes, leading assist maker in the division Nakamura playing through for Scott Brown, who played a lovely reverse ball that caught the defence flat footed, and allowed Maciej Zurawski, a surprise starter for the match, the chance to nip in and fire home. This only seemed to light a fire amongst the home side, and just after the half hour mark, there was a quick two minute burst that saw Martin Skrtel, with a hell of a powerful header that no 'keeper would have stopped, and then Kevin Thomson, who capitalised on a poor backpass from Kennedy, nipping in behind the defence, rounding Boruc and sliding the ball home

The action in the half was nowhere near finished, as just four minutes after gaining the lead, Rangers lost it again, as Nakamura's lofted ball found Zarate, and the SPL's top scorer took it down on his chest and volleyed home a sweet effort into the bottom corner. This took the wind out of the Rangers sails, and right on half time, they fell behind for the second time, as Zarate turned to provider, squaring the ball across for Irishman, and one of the stars of the season, Aidan McGeady, to side foot into the goal.

In the second half, despite some frantic action, it was generally a lot quieter, although Artur Boruc did make one unbelievable point blank save from Kris Boyd's volley. The Scottish international made up for it on 59 minutes though, as his deft lob to beat the onrushing Boruc levelled things up for a third time in the game. Both side's then went in search of the winner, throwing caution to the wind, and with Boruc and McGregor making saves, a 3-3 draw would have been fitting. As it was, Argentinian Zarate won the match in stoppage time, forcing a mistake from Kirk Broadfoot and sliding into the bottom corner with a supreme coolness

So, undefeated in six Old Firm games this season, and 36 SPL games, with two trophies in the bag, Barry Hunter has certainly made himself a folk hero at Parkhead, and the Celtic fans will be sorry to see him leave for pastures new in the summer

--

As Barry had wanted to sort some stuff out with his future employers, his chairman ahd allowed him to miss the next league game his side faced, which would see Hibernian visit Parkhead. He had to fly to London to sign the contract and iron out a few details, but if the SPL title wasn't already wrapped up he would have not even considered doing such a thing

The flight to Heathrow was fine, comfortable and peaceful, and when he arrived at the ground, not long past midday, he was greeted with a warm reception from Peter Hill-Wood and other board members

"Barry, welcome. I want to thank you once again for accepting our offer, and we are delighted to have you joining us"

"Pleasure's all mine Peter. Now, shall we get down to business?"

"Certainly. I have the room ready, and several other board members are desperate to meet you"

Barry enjoyed a three hour chat with his new employers, before he signed the contract, was given a tour of the ground (one he had only visited once with his side, back in November). Finally, he was taken to meet the man he was to succeed, Arsenal legend Arsene Wenger

"Barry. I am so glad they have chosen you to take over me"

"I have a lot to do to follow you Arsene, you are a legend of this football club"

"Oh I'm sure it won't take a young man like yourself long to overtake a dinosaur like me"

Back in Scotland, his side were busy grabbing another three points, with second half goals from Zarate enough to secure a 2-0 win, although Siyabong Nomvethe's tenth minute red card didn't help his side's cause. To be 90 minutes away from an unbeaten League season was some achievement, and a treble was still on for the taking for Barry Hunter's 'Invincible' Celtic side

The last game of the season was a milestone, but not for the reason many would expect. A win for Hunter's side would give them the target that any team would love to reach for the end of a season, 100 points. Sitting on 97, the team that would try to stop Celtic reaching the magic Ton would be the overachievers of the season, Dundee United, who sat fourth in the table, and were guaranteed UEFA Cup football the next season

Hunter knew his side had the Scottish Cup final coming up just a few days later, so with that in mind, he rested many of his stars for that game, and the likes of McGlinchey, Sheridan, Zurawski, Pressley, Brown, Bjarnason and Aaritalo all came into the starting line-up, but the squad had more than enough quality to win the match. The game started in a steady fashion, with the new players getting into the rhythm and tempo of the match, and the first opportunity of the match came on 13 minutes, Sheridan testing the 'keeper with a powerful header. This picked up the confidence of the players, and two other chances came, the second on 25 minutes and resulting in the opening goal, as McGlinchey laid off Zurawski and the Pole driving a low shot past the Tangerines 'keeper

1-0 was the half time score, and Barry instructed his players to keep up the tempo they had adopted. Aaritalo had an early effort tipped wide, while McGlinchey struck a shot over, but Zurawski and Sheridan seemed unable to communicate between each other, meaning the strike partnership was rendered almost useless. This was something that cost the Champions dearly in their quest for 100 points, and David Goodwille equalised on 71 minutes, rounding his marker and Mark Brown before guiding the ball home into the unguarded goal. This was how it ended, and though the 1-1 draw meant Celtic ended the season undefeated, they missed out on 100 points, though 98 is still a hell of a good total for any side

--

The Daily Record

Bhoys turned into Men

From the moment Barry Hunter took charge of Celtic in July, there was a sense of something special in the air, and looking back now, I think the Celtic fans consider themselves to have a new hero. Having guided his side to an SPL defeat with a big fat zero in the losses column, and a Scottish League Cup success, Barry Hunter is just one game away from becoming the first man to win a treble in his first season as a manager

This has been down, in part, to his shrewdness in the transfer market. The £4.4 signing of Mauro Zarate (among the likes of Samba, Aaritalo and Nicolita) has seen the Argentinian fire 24 League goals, finishing as top League scorer, while the likes of Nakamura, McGeady, Nicolita and Sno have been excellent in midfield. A solid defence, and a nice diamond style attack has seen the side go beyond all expectations

A terrific effort in European competition too saw his side reach their first Champions League Quarter Final for several years, and despite losing to Milan, they put up an excellent effort. Beating the likes of Arsenal, Sevilla and Schalke along the way proved that Celtic now have the capabilities to compete with the worlds best

We wish Barry Hunter all the best with Arsenal next season, and maybe one day we will see him back at Celtic as a manager

So this was it. One game left in a long season. 60 played, one to go. Two trophies in the bag, 98 points, 126 goals, and one game away from a historic treble. The team that stood in the way of the history books being re-written was Hearts, a team that would love to beat Barry Hunter's Celtic side in the Scottish Cup Final. They very nearly did too. The game almost went the distance, with Hunter's side needing an extra 30 minutes to defeat their opponents

The game started slowly, nobody wanting to make a mistake and lost the game, but Zarate, McGeady and Nicolita all missed excellent chances to put them in front, but the forst 45 minutes was a wave of green and white hoops. The second half was a little more even, as Hearts came back into it, but nobody, despite both 'keepers being kept busy, could break the deadlock, and the final whistle blew and signalled an extra thirty minutes. It was Extra time that livened things up a little bit, and the attacking prowess of Celtic shone through, and with no golden goal, the first would be decisive. It came right on the half time interval too, as Nakamura curled home a glorious 20 yard shot. The goal was good enough to win any game, and even Stephen McManus' daft red card, meaning his side played over ten minutes without an even side, didn't matter, and Hunter went down onto his knees at the third shrill blow of the whistle, and looked up to the air to thank God for his gloriously historic treble win

May 2008 Summary

Rangers 3-4 Celtic

(Zurawski 19 ; Skrtel 31 ; Thomson 32 ; Zarate 36, 90+2 ; McGeady 45 ; Boyd 59)

Celtic 2-0 Hibernian

(Nomvethe s/o 10 ; Zarate 51, 71)

Dundee Utd 1-1 Celtic

(Zurawski 25 ; Goodwille 71)

Scottish Cup Final

Celtic 1-0 Hearts a.e.t

(Nakamura 105 ; McManus s/o 109)

Celtic win SPL (98 points), Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup

The end of season awards had seen Barry and his chairman get a ticket, as expected, but in the envelope, there were reserved tickets for Nicolita (young player of the season awards), McGeady (player of the season) and Zarate (top scorer). A spare ticket also became available, and seen as Nakamura was the clubs Player of the season, Barry felt he deserved to come to the awards with the rest of the player

It was a good night, with the rightful players getting awards, and Hunter was especially pleased for Banel Nicolita, who had been recognised for his stunning first season in British football. The Romanian winger had earnt 6 caps for his country too, and he was quick to thank Hunter for his contribution to his career in a heartfelt speech that the whole squad had written, wishing their manager well in his new endeavours, and hoping that one day they would meet again in a European final

That would bring tears to the eyes of the treble winning manager, and the same thing would happen at the club's end of season dinner. He was amazed at the effedct he had been told he had on the careers of some of the players, and to know he had made a difference to their careers made him happy, and like he was giving something back to the footballing world

--

The end of season holiday began at the end of May, but the day before he and Nicole went away, Barry felt it was appropiate to hadn in his resignation from the club, and leave in a dignified and proper manner

"I've said it before Barry, and I'll say it again. I'll dam sure be sorry to lose you. You are a highly talented manager and I know that one day you will be amongst the top managers of all time"

"Well that means a lot, but just remember one thing eh? Keep that seat with my name on, cos I'll be back here one day. I know that for sure"

"I'll welcome you with open arms. Now you go to London and look after my little girl OK?"

A holiday to Tunisia for two weeks was closely followed by a month of blissful silence, until the day arrived for Barry and Nicole to fly to what their new home would be for the next few years (at least if all went to plan on the pitch), and for Barry to prepare for his pre-season campaign with the Premiership Champions

Arsenal had won the Premiership the previous season, although a poor showing in both the F.A Cup and Champions League had been disappointing, aswell as a League Cup final defeat to Birmingham City, so Barry felt he was the man to change their fortunes around

The holiday came and went with, at least suprisingly to Barry, no distractions. Obviously their was the odd contact with his new chairman, but other than that he was left to enjoy two weeks in Greece with Nicole, and he enjoyed peaceful bliss. However, when he landed back at Heathrow, he knew that it was back to business

In a way, Barry had missed the day to day activities of being on the touchline, the thrill and excitement of being in charge of a football team, so he couldn't wait to get back into it. He walked into the beautiful surroundings of the Emirates Stadium for his first official day at work with a huge smile spread across his face

---

"We fully expect the League title, and at least one Domestic trophy"

"And Europe?"

"Not necessarily to win it, but we want to have a good showing"

"What budget will I have?"

"£60,000,000 for transfers, £2,000,000 for wages. You have our full support and we will back you for any signing you make"

"Sound fine to me Peter"

Barry had not expected to receive such a big budget and it certainly was a bonus to him, but once he had had a look through the squad list of the Champions, he wasn't sure he would need such a massive chunk of transfer spending money

The goalkeepers were possibly the weakest area of the squad, with Lukasz Fabianski the number one choice between the sticks. He had replaced Jens Lehmann the previous campaign, but Barry would be looking for a new 'keeper because he felt the back-up choice, Manuel Almunia, wasn't quite up to scratch

The fullbacks, though a little light in choice, were very full on quality, with the first choice on the right looking like a straight fight, with Ivorian Emmanuel Eboue Barry's preferred choice, although Bakary Sagna would provide a more than able deputy should he be required. On the left, there was no choice, as Frenchman Gael Clichy was the only option and would be the obvious choice for the left back slot. In the centre, the choice was much more rife, with the main two preferences for Barry being Eboue's international team-mate Kolo Toure, and French defender, and club captain William Gallas. Their back-ups were more than adequate though, apart from Swiss defender Phillipe Senderos, who didn't look up to scratch and would more than likely be sold to raise additional funds. Johan Djourou was another Swiss international, but unlike Senderos, he had potential and age on his side. The final man who could play at the back was Brazilian Gilberto Silva, who, although he was the wrong side of 30, could also play in defensive midfield and would be one of the anchors of Barry's team

In midfield, the talent was mouth-watering. The weakest area, suprisingly enough, was in the middle. Normally, Barry would have relied on the talents of Francesc Fabregas, but due to a bust-up between the Spaniard and the club, he had agreed a £45 million move to Real Madrid, so Barry would need a replacement for the mercurial Spanish midfielder. As good as they could be, his current replacements were not up to scratch, with Abou Diaby able to hold down a first team place, but he wasn't so sure about Cameroonian Alexandre Song, who he felt might have to go out on loan to keep himself sharp. There was one player that Barry was excited about though, and he had heard nothing but good things from the rest of his backroom team, so Mexican Carlos Vela would be given a chance in the first team this season. On the wings, there were plenty of options to choose from. Tomas Rosicky was Barry's favoured man for the left wing role, while his stand-in, Brazilian born Croatian Eduardo, was not a happy man after less playing time than he expected the season before. On the right, it was between Dutchman Robin van Persie, who had been much maligned and plagued by injuries, and was looking to start well for the new boss, and former Fiorentina man Mario Santana, a £14.75 million capture the previous year. The other midfielder who had sealed a switch to the Emirates in January was highly rated Frenchman Jeremy Menez, who was certainly earmarked by Barry for the role behind the strikers, although if he failed to live up to expectations, Aliaksandr Hleb was good enough to do just that.

On the striking front, the options were a little light, and with just three players thus far, Barry's main priority was to bring in a striker along with a shot stopper. Obviously, one of the main roles would go to Togolese powerhouse Emmanuel Adebayor, whos 25 goals had fired the Gunners to their league title the season before. The favourite to claim the spot next to him, at least in Barry's eyes, was Italian Giampaolo Pazzini, another of Wenger's captures last summer, and he had fired 21 goals himself. The other option was Ciprian Marica, who, although a decent player, and could find the net, was not quite in the class of Adebayor or Pazzini

He set to work straightaway, looking in the market for the right players to add to the already talented squad at his disposal, and with a 'keeper and a striker his priority, he sent two of his number of coaches off to find the right players. When he had joined the club, his chairman, Peter Hill-Wood, had mentioned the names of two players that Arsene Wenger had set his sights on, but the chairman felt they were two potential stars and could be good for the club. The first of these was Valencia's Aaron Niguez, who, despite his tender years, was certainly the right sort of player for Barry Hunter, and he wasted no time in forming a bid to try and lure the player to London

The other man was one he wasn't so sure about, as Everton's 19 year old English striker Jose Baxter was a man who the coaching staff, and Pat Rice especially, rated very highly. He decided to send a scout out to watch the youngster a couple of times, before he decided to make a bid or not. Before any transfers though, Barry had his first pre-season match in charge of his new club, as French side Yverdon visited the Emirates less than a week into his reign

It was an easy decision for Barry's team selection, because he wanted to pick his best possible eleven and start off well and earn some confidence. Adebayor and Pazzini had clearly worked well together the season before, while Diaby and Hleb lined up in the middle of the park (Fabregas' impending transfer saw him not even included in the squad). The game was, as he expected, comfortable enough in terms of the weakness of the opposition and an easy win, as they ran the poor French side ragged. Mario Santana was superb on the right hand side, with his mazy dribbles and jinking runs, and it was his cross that led to the opening goal on 23 minutes, Adebayor rising highest, heading the ball down into the box and Pazzini firing home. This opened up the floodgates, and Hunter watched his side grab two more goals before the interval. Robin van Persie got the second, a lovely strike from the edge of the box, before Pazzini's second on 43 minutes virtually sealed a good win for his side

The second half was a bit more mediocre, and with a 3-0 lead Barry changed it a little and made six substitutions. Yverdon pressed a little more too, and after forcing Almunia to make two or three half decent saves, they got their reward, and their main man (or so it seemed) Francois Dutoit curled home a strike on 67 minutes. The final result was 4-1, thanks to Hleb's free-kick, but it made no difference whether his side won or lost. They looked good together, played good football, and their fitness was starting to build up nicely, with just three games to go before the real football started

---

"Barry, where are you?"

"I'm at work. Why where are you?"

"I'm at home but I've got some great news"

"What's that then?"

"I've found a house"

"Already? That was bloody quick Nicole"

"It's gorgeous. Four bedrooms, massive garden, en-suite bathroom and a downstairs one. We have to get it"

"OK. How much?"

"£750,000"

"Jesus Nicole, that's a lot of money"

"I know, but it's beautiful. At least let me put the deposit on then you can look and consider it"

"Go on then. Put the deposit down"

"Oh thankyou. I love you sometimes Barry"

It was a lot of money to spend on a house, but in recent weeks, he had started to realise that Nicole was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, so with his new job in place, and if they could get the house, he felt they would be very close to being in the right place. The one conversation they had never had was about children, and whether they wanted them or not. Barry had several things to consider, such as the fact he was the wrong side of 30, and a bit older than Nicole, so he felt they needed to have a chat about that sort of thing

He still had footballing issues to concentrate though, and on the approval of three of his scouts, Barry had managed to agree a £14.75 million fee with Getafe for their Argentinian goalkeeper Oscar Ustari. He was not yet an international, but his ability was unquestionable, and Hunter was sure he was the man to take the helm between the sticks. Getafe, despite finishing 5th the previous season, were struggling for funds, so they took less than 24 hours to accept the hefty sum that was offered to them, and it was now just down to Barry to agree a contract with the stopper

Cheers lads, glad you're enjoying it :)

---

Over the next ten days, Barry Hunter was more active in the transfer market than he had ever been. A grand total of six players came into the club, while several left, including one big name, as Francesc Fabregas left to join the Galactico's of Real Madrid. Boca's holding midfielder Ever Banega was quick to agree terms, and he joined on a four year, £6 million deal, and he would certainly provide some good competition for the holding role just in front of the back four. He was followed by Chilean winger Matias Fernandez. This boy had talent, and Barry knew instantly that his ability would command a place in his side. He could create goals, score goals, beat men, whip crosses in, come inside, and he had pace too. Basically, the lad had everything, and for £16.75 million, he felt he was taking a hell of a player

The biggest transfer, in terms of fee commanded, was that of Sergio Aguero. Atletico Madrid's young Argentinian was frustrated at the lack of European competition his side were involved in, and he was angling after a big move, so when Barry quoted a £25 million price, he was raised to £33 million. It took some discussions, and it was a long hard road, but eventually, the striker joined up with the Emirates revolution. The squad was looking almost ready now, and just a couple more additions were needed, at least in Barry's eyes. His coaches had managed to persuade him enough to fork out just shy of £3 million for Everton's highly rated Jose Baxter, and two young Frenchman joined the youth setup, in Parfait Mandanda, a goalkeeper, and 17 year old left back Jonathan Lupinelli. Things were certainly starting to fall into place for Barry and his Arsenal side.

In the midst of all that transfer activity, there was also another friendly game to comprehend, as his side travelled to Italy to face Brescia. One of Roberto Baggio's former sides (and now the Italiy legend was on the coaching staff) were not going to provide an easy test, Barry knew that, and by the time this game came around, they had Banega, Fernandez and Aguero, and all three went into the squad. Fernandez looked like he'd been playing with his new side for years, as his jinking runs down the left caused all sorts of problems. Marica missed a good chance on 23 minutes, although there were several guilty parties before him, Robin van Persie, Fernandez himself and Aguero all missing good chances, with the Brescia 'keeper making some good saves. The goal did finally come on 33 minutes, and it was worth the wait. Banega picked the ball up from his defence, before playing it to Aguero. The Argentinian beat three men, before feigning a shot and playing it to van Persie, and the Dutchman curled home a beautiful goal from the edge of the area

The opener had been worth waiting for, but the second, right after the half time interval, was more of a tap-in, and at least proved his side could score the scruffy goals. Fernandez's cross went all the way across the box, with Aguero seeing his effort saved and Romanian Ciprian Marica sliding home into the unguarded net. There could have been more in the game, and the seven changes that Barry made had no effect on the game, as they all gelled together, but in the end it was a comfortable 2-0 pre-season run-out

---

"I have to give it to you Nicole, it is nice"

"See, I told you you'd love it"

"Alright, don't rub it in. So have we got it?"

"Ours if we want it. Lets do it Barry. New house, new city, new start"

"That does sound appealing. Let's have it eh?"

"Oh Thankyou thankyou thankyou. I love you"

"What?"

"Oh, erm...I, erm..."

"You said you love me?"

"No I didn't?"

"It's alright. I love you too"

"Really?"

"Yeah. I wouldn't say it otherwise would I?"

That was it. Everything was in place. The house was their's, they were taking big steps as a couple, and the on-field issues were going well. Barry Hunter was, at this moment in time, a happy man, and he was looking forward to the start of the season. To be fair, he had been for weeks. He loved being on the touchline, shouting instructions to his players, and winning matches, and trophies, was certainly what he craved. Football was one of the two most important things in his life, and his life was going very well up to now.

The Independent

Hunter of Silverware?

New Arsenal boss Barry Hunter has wasted no time in making his mark on the Emirates stadium, with eight new additions, for a combined fee of well over £80 million pounds, and he certainly has set his mark out for silverware at the end of the season.

Many people were surprised by Arsenal's choice of replacement for the departing Arsene Wenger, but if we look closely, it's not hard to see why they chose the gruff, but well dressed Englishman. To win three trophies in your debut season, regardless of the side that you are managing, is a terrific achievement. He bought very few players, but the one's he did buy were excellent, and guided his team to a treble of the SPL, Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup. He even guided his side to a Champions League Quarter Final, in which they were very good against A.C Milan, and gave the Italians a hell of a scare

However, Hunter is in a different kettle of fish now. He's playing with the big boys, and despiter Arsenal being reigning Premiership champions, they are not the favourites to retain their title. Some poor performances in Europe saw them eliminated in the first knockout round, and they also faced Hunter's own Celtic side in the group, losing 2-1 in the Emirates and grabbing a 2-2 draw in Glasgow, so they know what their new boss is about. Hunter takes no prisoners, and if a player doesn't pull his weight, he doesn't play. He easily commands respect, and Arsenal fans, though always expecting trophies, are pessimistic of their new manager and what he can bring to the club

The final pre-season game saw a trip to face Coventry, a Championship side who had made heavy investment over the summer, so many were expecting them to challenge for a Premiership return. They looked eager to prove they belonged too, as they put up a good performance against the much bigger names, even having the cheek (at least in Barry's eyes) to take a fifth minute lead, although it did come from a defensive error from young Icelandic defender Havard Nordtveit. This only angered the beast, and Hunter's side came out all guns blazing, charging at their hosts constantly. the leveller came on 19 minutes, a ball threaded through for Adebayor and the big striker powered home from ten yards. Chance after chance came to Arsenal, and the Coventry 'keeper Andy Marshall did very well to keep his side level going into half time

Marica was introduced at half time, in order to rest Adebayor for the season opener, and the Romanian slipped the ball through for Pazzini the send them in fron, as he rounded Marshall and slid the ball into the net. The third came on 67 minutes, Pazzini's second of the game as he hit the ball on the half volley from the edge of the area. Hunter still saw his side create chances, with Pazzini missing a glorious hat-trick chance, and Marica somehow heading over from 8 yards out, but with two minutes left, Elliott Ward heading a consolation second for his side, but it wasn't enough and Arsenal claimed a third win out of three games in their pre-season campaign

--

"It's killing me, it really is"

"What's up Tommy?"

"This bastard. He sacks me, says I 'betrayed' him, and now he swans off to Arsenal. I should be getting the success he is too"

"Calm down Tommy. You've got a job now, what's the problem?"

"Oh yeah, at bloody St. Mirren. No, Zabs wanted him dead, so screw it, he'll be dead. He isn't getting away with it that easily"

"You're bloody hard work Tommy. Think about the consequences eh?"

"I don't care about the consequences. I want my revenge, and I will get it"

This is it. I can test myself against the best. I loved being at Celtic, but now I'm at Arsenal, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and I'm out to prove myself

Barry was excited about walking out in charge of Arsenal for the first time in a competitive match, but damn it, he was nervous too. He knew it was only the Community Shield, and it wasn't all that important a game to many people, but Barry felt it could give his side a good platform for the season and lead them onto a good start. A good start is always crucial, he knew that, and everyone knew that, so it was time to implement it

Sunderland, as F.A Cup winners, were his side's opponents in the game, and ironically, they had three of his former charges at Parkhead playing for them, in Massimo Donati, Jan Vennegoor and Thomas Gravesen, although the Dane was on loan all the previous season and never played under Hunter. After greeting Hesselink and Donati, both of whom were on the bench, he gave his side their instructions and watched them do the business (he hoped) on the pitch. He had fielded his strongest side, and he was desperate for a good side, but it was Roy Keane's side who started the better, and Sibisuso Zuma gave them a twelfth minute lead with a bullet of a header from 8 yards, leaving Fabianski with no chance. Chances were few and far between for them after that, and the majority of them came at their end, with Adebayor forcing a terrific save from Gordon, while Pazzini fired wide, and Toure headed against the bar. It looked like the unfancied Sunderland would go in at half time in front, but they hadn't counted on a six minute brace from Pazzini at the end of the half. the first was a ball from Fernandez, which was taken beautifully by the Italian and fired into the bottom corner, before his second came from a wonderful Eboue cross, and he rose highest to guide his header past Gordon.

That gave Arsenal a lot of confidence, and Hunter knew his side could push on and score another couple of goals, but what he hadn't banked on was Eboue's ridiculous lunge just four minutes into the second half, which earned the Ivorian full back a straight red card, and didn't help his side's cause. Half time substitute Eduardo took it upon himself to change that though, and he slid home a third from seven yards on 54 minutes, after robbing Paul McShane of the ball. Thomas Gravesen pulled his side back into it, converting a lovely pull back from Whitehead on 59 minutes, and temporarily gave them a good chance of levelling. Unfortunately for them though, it wasn't to be, and Eduardo's second, on 67 minutes, before Tomas Rosicky in the final ten minutes put the icing on the cake and sealed a 5-2 win for his side in Hunter's first game in charge

--

"Hi Dad"

"Nicole. How's London sweetie?"

"It's brilliant. You missing me?"

"Like a hole in the head. No of course I miss you. Has Barry settled in?"

"Yeah he seems to have. They won yesterday, 5-2"

"I saw. Once a winner, always a winner I say. Is he there?"

"No, he's at the club. I'm just taking a break from job hunting"

"Have you seen anything you like?"

"Not yet. I'm probably going to come see you soon"

"Come whenever you like. I've got to go now, board meeting. Tell Barry well done when you see him"

"I will. Bye Dad"

I saw you standing there before me…

He shot up with a start, sweat pouring down his brow. It had been a long time since one of his dreams were materialised, and when he woke up, it scared Nicole. She didn't know what to make of it

"Barry, what's up?"

"Nothing, just a bad dream"

"You sure?"

"Yeah it's fine. I'm going to get a drink. You go back to bed"

Barry headed downstairs, opened up the fridge and took a bottle of chilled water from the fridge. He looked at the clock on the wall. 6.33. He was shattered, hadn't even got to bed until gone twelve. He was due at the ground in less than four hours, as his side prepared to host the first Premiership game of the season, but he wanted to be fully focused for that match. That being said, he made himself the first of several cups of coffee that morning, and opened up his laptop

He walked into the ground more awake than he expected, and this was a mixture of caffeine and excitement. His side had scored five in their previous outing at Wembley, so with the visit of Everton looming, Barry was hoping to start with three points from the game. Once again, he fielded his best available side, although Bakary Sagna replaced the suspended Emmanuel Eboue, but he was fully confident of a win. They started well, Banega hitting a long range effort that stung Tim Howard's hands, before a header from Kolo Toure flew just over the bar. The pace that his side started at was frenetic, with Everton unable to keep up with it, but despite the efforts of Pazzini, Adebayor and Rosicky, who all tested Howard, there was still no breakthrough after half an hour. Eventually though, it did come, on 36 minutes, Matias Fernandez slipping through Rosicky, who's low cross found Adebayor and the big Togolese striker fired home from six yards out

The second half started much the same as the first, with chance after chance coming by the way of the red and white shirts, although substitute Sergio Aguero seemed to be revelling in his new role behind the front two. Pazzini curled a free-kick that was heading in, before Howard made a world class fingertip save, while efforts from Fernandez, Aguero, Adebayor and Banega all forced saves from the American 'keeper. 1-0 would not have suited the way the game had gone, with Hunter's side dominating proceedings, but in stoppage time, a second came, Aguero's scuffed shot taking a wicked deflection off Joseph Yobo, and spinning into the net to seal the points for his side and give them an opening day win, which was always a good start

There was little time to consolidate and celebrate the victory, as his side faced their second test just four days later, and a trip to Birmingham to face Aston Villa. They had invested the previous season, but had flattered to deceive in finishing 9th in the table. It was another game that looked fairly simple on paper, but Vagner Love had different ideas, and his pace and power led him to slot his side into a fifth minute lead, sliding underneath the debutant 'keeper Ustari. Chances came for both sides, the Brazilian striker losing himself the chance of a hat-trick, while Pazzini and Adebayor had two each, which were foiled by Sorensen and his defence. The referee had the whistle in his mouth ready to blow the whistle, when the equaliser came, a lovely Sergio Aguero ball finidng Frenchman Jeremy Menez, who took it down and hit a lovely shot past the stranded Sorensen

The equaliser from Menez gave a good platform to start the second half well, and that is exactly what Barry's side did. Straight from the kick off, Menez nearly had a second, forcing a clearance off the line from Gary Cahill, before Robin van Persie did find the net, cutting inside from the left, and curling a fabulous effort into the far corner of the net. Villa should have been buried after that, and chances came at regular intervals for Hunter's side, with Marica, Aguero, Banega and Menez all wasting opportunities, but it looked like they would claim the three points, and that was further enhanced by the sending off of Curtis Davies on 87 minutes, for a second yellow card. One mistake was made though, in the fifth minute of stoppage time, and it cost them two points, Toure's short backpass allowing Luke Moore in to round Ustari and steal a point for his side, one that was undeserved without a doubt

Barry was soon struck by some bad news, as three of his centre backs went down with a flu epidemic that was going round. Djourou, Gallas and Senderos all found themselves injured, which meant that young Matthew Connolly was drafted in from the reserves to make his debut for the side. He had spent the previous season out on loan, and looked like he could be a good player, but Hunter was dubious as to whether he was up to standard yet, and was reliant on Toure guiding him through the game

Fortunately for the youngster, his debut game was against a lesser noticebale side than what it could have been, as Wigan made their way to the Emirates Stadium. After a disappointing draw with Villa, Barry wanted his side to push on and pick up three points from the Northerners. Not only did Connolly come into the side, but Eduardo started on the left too, with Menez behind the strikers, and this formation proved to be the right one. Menez tested Kirkland early, forcing the Englishman to tip it wide, before the visitors did get back into the game, and Paul Scharner headed straight into the arms of Ustari. Pazzini fed the ball through for Adebayor, who struck a shot right across goal, before a superb saving tackle from Bramble stopped Italian Pazzini from scoring himself.

The goal that broke the deadlock came right on the half time interval, and it came from debutant Matthew Connolly. Menez's corner came over everybody in the box, falling to the youngster who stabbed his foot at the ball and found the net, giving his side the vital lead. In the second half, his side were magnificent, taking in his words well, and within six minutes of coming back onto the pitch, they doubled the lead, a quick, smooth, flowing team move resulting in a lovely little reverse ball to Eduardo, and the Croatian striker struck a beautiful shot past Kirkland. The visitors never got into the game after this, and they were really just trying to survive, but with just eleven minutes to go, the game was settled, Menez playing in Pazzini and the Italian slamming the ball past the helpless Kirkland and sealing the points

--

"Tommy, we are delighted to have you on board here"

"It's my pleasure Daniel. I know you are a big club, and I am determined to be on the staff when we overtake Arsenal"

"Me too. So I believe you and Barry Hunter were friends?"

"Were being the right word. Until the bastard sacked me"

"Well get your revenge with us Tommy, that's the best thing to do. Welcome aboard"

Tommy Colbert waited until he was alone, and laughed an evil, maniacal laugh to himself. He knew, although nobody else did yet, that Barry Hunter would pay

Colbert was in the stands for Arsenal's next game, which only he knew, seen as he had disguised himself, and he was praying that West Ham Utd could get a good result against his nemesis' side. Thanks to Welsh international Craig Bellamy, who used his pace to beat Connolly and open the scoring after six minutes, Arsenal conceding an early goal yet again, for the third time in five games, it looked like the home side could get the right result. They played well too, with Ashton, Bellamy and Mark Noble all testing Ustari with good efforts, and even Rob Green was forced into making saves, from Adebayor and Pazzini. The equaliser came just after the 38th minute appeared on the clock, a lovely Matias Fernandez cross finding the right boot of Gilberto Silva, who volleyed home from just seven yards out, leaving Green with no chance. Colbert was cursing to himself when the goal went in, but come the second half, the language coming from his mouth was unrepeatable. It was all a wave of red and white come the second half, and it took till just before the hour mark for the next goal to come, Adebayor's lovely flick finding Pazzini, and the Italian's burst taking him into the box and allowing him to fire home. Six minutes later, the game was sealed, Jeremy Menez continuing his recent good form with a lovely 25 yard free-kick that left Green with no chance. Colbert threw his hat down and stormed out after that, but it could have been four, five or even six, as chance after chance went begging, but eventually Alan Wiley blew his whistle and gave the Champions three more points

August 2008 Summary

(Premiership unless otherwise stated)

Community Shield

Arsenal 5-2 Sunderland

Zuma 12 ; Pazzini 39, 45 ; Eboue s/o 49 ; Eduardo 54, 67 ; Gravesen 59 ; Rosicky 82)

Arsenal 2-0 Everton

(Adebayor 34 ; Yobo O.G 90+2)

Aston Villa 2-2 Arsenal

(Vagner Love 5 ; Menez 45 ; van Persie 48 ; Moore 90+5)

Arsenal 3-0 Wigan

(Connolly 45 ; Eduardo 51 ; Pazzini 79)

West Ham Utd 1-3 Arsenal

(Bellamy 6 ; Gilberto 38 ; Pazzini 59 ; Menez 65)

League Position ; 3rd

This is quite possibly the strongest squad on the board.

One question though. The report says you have made 8 signings. Aguero, Fernandez, Banega, Baxter, the two French youngsters. That's only 6. Who are the other two?

Cheers simon07

SCIAG - I think it's around post 71 or 72, I signed Oscar Ustari and Aaron too :)

---

"It was so annoying, just to see him stood there with a smile on his face. Really ****ed me off"

"Don't worry about it. You're at Spurs now, what's the problem?"

"Principles, that's the point. I don't just want to see him get on with it, he has to pay for what he did to me"

"If you ask me Tommy, I think you are making a mistake. I think you should just leave it"

"I was hoping you'd support me Paul"

"I will, you know I will, I just...Oh never mind"

"Good lad. Now, you leave it to me"

--

Barry was mulling over the start to the season his side had made, dropping just two points, although he was disappointed with that, and his squad was almost the way he wanted it, with just a few more additions needed in either the January window or the next summer transfer window. While doing that, he was on his way to Monaco with his chairman (who would join him at the destination) to see his side's draw for the Champions League Group stage

He took his seat next to his chairman, with Barcelona's Joan Laporta on one side and Silvio Berlusconi, of A.C Milan, on the other. He was a little star struck, if that's the right phrase, and couldn't believe that he, such a relatively inexperienced manager, was sat in between two world renowned men of the game. The draw finally got underway, and with his side seeded in the second pool, he expected at least one tough draw. Just under half an hour later, his side's fate was sealed.

"What do you think Barry?"

"Could have been worse I suppose. Juventus are the only difficult side in there"

"So you think we can qualify?"

"Easily. We should beat both Copenhagen and Olympiakos, so I'm confident"

Once arriving back in England, Barry had to prepare his side for their next Premiership game, which would see a trip to Derby County. They had been excellent the season before, staying in the division with an 11th place finish, so they were an experienced Premiership side now, meaning a tough game was always in the offing.

Eduardo had been in recent good form, so he started on the left hand side, while Aguero started alongside Pazzini up-front. The Argentinian had made two goals thus far, but was yet to find the net himself, and he seemed to be trying too hard in Barry's eyes. The manager took him to one side, and just gave him a couple of quiet words of support. Both sides started well, with Ustari tipping a Kenny Miller shot wide, while Roy Carroll was forced to make saves from a Toure header, a Pazzini strike which was heading for the top corner, and a magnificent free-kick from Menez which the Irishman tipped wide. It looked like both sides fancied the points, and it made a nice change for Barry to watch another side attack against his, but, although they made a commendable effort, they succumbed to going behind, Menez's square ball finding Aguero and the striker smashing his effort into the roof of the net. He had his first for the club, and it wasn't long to wait until his second, as he capitalised on a midfield error, played a lovely one two with Eduardo, and rounded Carroll before sliding into the open goal

Going in at half time 2-0 ahead was a huge bonus, but his side had to be careful in the second half, as one goal to the home side changed the complexion of the tie. Aguero had complained of a slight groin strain, so he was replaced with Fernandez and Eduardo went up top, and the Croatian caused all sorts of problems. His pace and skill were causing trouble for Derby's defence, but the third goal, despite all the efforts, was ceasing to come. However though, one bit of magic from Giampaolo Pazzini changed that, as his gorgeous reverse ball found Eduardo, and he dinked it over Carroll. It was a lovely goal, and sealed what was, in the end, a comfortable 3-0 victory

The Champions League draw had handed Barry and his players a fairly decent draw, with a group that they should qualify from with ease, although winning it was also an opportunity that they should look to take advantage of. However, to start their campaign, they couldn't have been handed a tougher opening game, as they travelled to Turin to face Italian side Juventus. They had finished second the previous season, a superb achievement after being relegated just a few years before, so he expected a tough tough game for his side

It started, well, slowly to say the least, with each side trying to work the other out, so most of the play for the first fifteen of twenty minutes was in the middle of the park, and the fans didn't get much excitement. The first opening, or even sniff of a chance, came on 23 minutes, when Matias Fernandez slid in Adebayor, who was about to pull the trigger before a superb saving tackle from Per Mertesacker stopped him. This gave his side a bit more confidence, and there were more chances in that half, with Pazzini firing just wide from 20 yards, Adebayor's header going over, and what looked like a handball on the line denying Fernandez, although nothing was given. The Italians themselves had a couple of good chances, Del Piero forcing a save from Ustari, who also tipped a Nedved free-kick just wide

Half time came and went goalless, and 0-0 measn the first goal could be crucial, so either side was still in with a chance. That opening goal did eventually come, just six minutes into the second half, a Mario Santana corner finding Emmanuel Adebayor at the near post and the big Togo striker flicking his header into the net. It was a vital goal, and should have provided a platform to get a second. Pazzini had a chance, as did Aguero, but it was the goalscorer who was the biggest culprit, his teammates fashioning a chance for him, that somehow he put over from just 7 yards out. It was a shocking miss, and Barry's side paid for it too, as German defender Mertesacker powered home a header to equalise on 74 minutes. The big man turned into a villain just before the end though, as a confrontation with Pazzini saw the Italian go down holding his face, and the German earnt a straight red card for what Hunter later learnt was a headbutt. Still, if offered a 1-1 draw at the start, Barry would most certainly have taken it, so he wasn't too disappointed

---

"Barry, have you got a sec?"

"Sure thing Pat. What's up?"

Barry's assistant Pat Rice sat opposite him, and in his hand was what looked like three or four pieces of paper

"Just wanted to run through a couple of players with you, I think they might be worth buying in January"

"Hit me"

"Dean Bouzanis, Liverpool. Only a young lad, 17, but believe me, this kid has potential. Only stumbling block could be that they might not sell unless it's a decent offer"

"OK. Anybody else?"

"Yeah. Another young lad, this time at Barca. Patricio Mora, 17. He's a left back, which we are slightly short on, so I think he is a must buy. I've checked, he has a release fee of £100,000"

"Good stuff. That it?"

"Yeah just one. Angelo Palombo, Sampdoria. Again, need to spend a lot of money, but awesome player who can slot in at the back or in midfield"

"OK. Start looking into it for me Pat"

The process of player scouting was well underway, and with two scouts and Pat Rice all checking the possible transfer targets, Barry was left to concentrate on his side's next game, against their rivals Chelsea. The Stamford Bridge side had not started well at all, and sat eighth in the table, so if Barry and his players could add another nail to the coffin, it would be useful

Come the final whistle, it had been a professional and excellent performance, and his side has secured a 3-1 win that took them to the top of the table for the first time. The first half had seen both sides creating chances, but the goals didn't come until the final ten minutes of the match. Adebayor opened the scoring, with a terrific turn and shot into the bottom corner, while an uncharacteristic mistake from Petr Cech allowed the second right on half time, the punch falling just outside to area where Ciprian Marica was waiting, and he lofted the ball into the open goal to send his side in 2 goals to the good at the interval. The second 45 was a little bit quieter, as Chelsea were the better side, Drogba heading them back into it five minutes into the half, but it was thanks to Oscar Ustari that the scores remained level, as he made a string of saves to deny the likes of Drogba, Joe Cole, John Terry and Florent Malouda, and thanks to these saves, it allowed Tomas Rosicky to seal the points twenty minutes from time, as he curled home a lovely shot with his left foot that found its way into the net off the inside of the post

The League Cup was not a competition Barry was particularly interested in, but once he had looked through the team of youngsters that he had planned on playing then he actually felt his side had a good chance of winning the thing. Their opponents in the third round were a Premiership side, Bolton, and though they are a tough side to beat, Barry was confident his side could do the business

It was a weaker (that being the operative word) side that took to the field, with the likes of Vela, Mandanda, Baxter, Aaron, Connolly and Fabianski taking to the field. It was a frentic pace to start the game with, and Carlos Vela's fifth minute opener was cancelled out less than sixty seconds later by Daniel Braaten, who's volley was a magnificent effort that left Fabianski with no chance. Bolton had put out a strong side, in fact a very strong side, so they were keen on the trophy. Barry saw his side go back in front on 13 minutes, Vela breaking through and the Mexican sliding underneath Jussi Jaaskelainen. The remainder of the first half was a little dull, and chances were few and far between, until Nicolas Anelka used his pace to break free and slide his side back level for a second time

The second half was, to put it kindly, dull. Barry told, and expected his side to push on and seal their passage into the next round, but it wasn't to be, and Bolton held firm to take the game into extra time, and it seemed to Barry that they were looking for a penalty shoot-out. Into extra time, Arsenal pressed and pressed under their managers instructions, and Jaaskelainen was the man that kept the Champions at bay. Eventually though, all that effort and hard work paid off, and Ciprian Marica scored the vital goal that sent his side through to round four

---

It's a tough decision, one I need to think about. I do love her, and I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her. The question is though, how does she feel?

I'm not a young man anymore, I'm older than her. I've never been married, and yes, although I've been in love, I haven't felt like this for a long time. I need the advice of friends and family I think - well, friends at least anyway

Should I ask her? I don't want to be turned down, but maybe I have to be brave eh? I don't know what to do. Help me mum. Look down on me and help me

Barry's mind was elsewhere as his side faced their final test of the month, and a visit to Vicarage Road to face newly promoted Watford. They hadn't recorded a win as of yet, and not many people expected them to against the superstars of Arsenal, but they were very close to doing just that.

The players must have sensed their manager's mood, as they were really poor in the first half, which led to them falling behind to a Will Hoskins goal just after the half hour mark. To be fair, after this, Hunter's side picked it up a bit and their quality shone through, and right on half time, Adebayor headed home the equaliser. The second half was constant red and white pressure, with chance after chance after chance going begging, thanks to a combination of poor finishing, excellent defending and super goalkeeping, and it looked for all the world as if the home side would come away with a hell of a good point. Unfortunately, they were undone in the cruellest way possible, as a late brace from Giampaolo Pazzini sealed the points. The first was a defensive mistake from Dan Shittu, who's poor pass went straight to the Italian and he fired home, before a lovely pass from Banega settled into his path and he stroked the ball home from six yards out to give his side another three points

September 2008 Summary

Derby County 0-3 Arsenal

(Aguero 32, 40 ; Eduardo 71)

Champions League Group F

Juventus 1-1 Arsenal

(Adebayor 51 ; Mertesacker 74 ; Mertesacker s/o 86)

Arsenal 3-1 Chelsea

(Adebayor 35 ; Marica 45 ; Drogba 50 ; Rosicky 70)

League Cup 3rd Round

Bolton 2-3 Arsenal a.e.t

(Vela 5, 13 ; Braaten 6 ; Anelka 45 ; Marica 114)

Watford 1-3 Arsenal

(Hoskins 31 ; Adebayor 45 ; Pazzini 86, 90+3)

League Position ; 1st

loving this story. keep up the good work!!!! what formation are you using with arsenal i see you are playing two up front and another player behind them. Im surprised you havnt tried signing any of your old players at celtic. good story away from the football. looking forward to your next thread!!!

george94 - High praise indeed, and I thankyou sir :)

Spav - Thanks very much

truegaffer - I did consider raiding my old charges but found better options. I'm playing a 4-4-2 diamond, with one striker dropping off, and a few tweaks of my own

---

He headed for the back entrance, determined to find it. Where would he keep it? Not his office, that is too obvious. Where did he keep things at Celtic, he must have had a drawer or something?

The place looked different in darkness, without the glow of a matchday. This bastard shouldn't have all this, especially not after what he did to me. Now, where is it. Come on, think...A-ha. Gotcha! Barry, I said you will pay, and by god, you will pay.

Barry was still musing with his thoughts as his side prepared for their second group game in the Champions League, as Danish Champions FC Kobenhavn made their way to London for the match. Having drawn with Juve, it was vital that his side picked up three points in their next couple of games to advance through, or at least make sure of their progress, so his strongest possible side took to the field

It was a fast start from his side, as Sergio Aguero hit a rasping drive just over the bar, and Jeremy Menez forced a save from the 'keeper, but on 19 minutes, the opener came, as Matias Fernandez fed a lovely little ball through for Pazzini to collect, take one touch onto his right foot and fire a drilled low drive into the bottom corner. That should have been a signal for the players to push on and make it a sure thing, and though chances came for Adebayor and Pazzini, neither could convert, and the second goal came in completely the wrong net, as Jesper Gronkjaer headed his side level, the former Chelsea man powering a close range header past Ustari. This seemed to wake the players up, much to Barry's annoyance, as he knew it shouldn't take a goal against you to wake your players up, but before half time came around, they had stretched the lead to 3-1, with goals from Frenchman Menez, a stunning strike from 30 yards, and defender Matthew Connolly, who headed home Santana's corner.

Despite conceding a quick second half goal to Jensen, on 51 minutes, they were never in any danger, and Marica, Pazzini, Aguero and Menez all tested the 'keeper with efforts. The Danish side tried, and if it had been a lesser opponent, they may have secured a point, but on 67 minutes, the game was sealed, a long ball from Clichy finding Santana, who cut inside, crossed a lovely low ball right across the area and found Aguero, who slid the ball past a stranded 'keeper to seal the 4-2 win for his side

"Peter, have you been in my office?"

Barry came rushing out of his office, hair crumpled and face red

"No I haven't Barry. Why?"

"It's gone. It was there yesterday and now it's gone. I..I cant lose it, it's..."

"Slow down. Whats gone?"

"The ring"

"Ring?"

"Yes. Engagement ring. I was going to propose to Nicole but it's gone"

"Right. I'll check the cameras for the hallway and your door. You keep looking, in case you come across it"

After a frantic search of what seemed a hell of a lot longer than two hours, Barry was called into his chairmans office, without the ring

"I have some footage. There was a man in after hours last night, he obviously didn't realise there were cameras"

"Roll the tape Peter"

It played, and after half a minute, his face found the camera. He hit pause

"Any clue Barry?"

"It can't be him. Surely not"

The look on his face said it all. He knew the man, knew him very well

"Barry?"

"It's Tommy. Tommy Colbert. He was my assistant at Celtic but I sacked him before I left. Personal disagreement. I'm in shock"

"Well he clearly wants some sort of revenge on you"

As hard as it was for him to focus on his sides next game, which saw Steve Coppell's Reading side visit the Emirates, he knew he had a duty to the club and he stood on the touchline. Part of him though, wanted to find Tommy, and kill him. His side didn't seem phased by his state of mind, as a phenomenal first half display killed off their dogged visitors.

Once Aaron had notched his first goal for the club, on 11 minutes, the wheels were in motion. The young Spaniard had a barnstorming game, his goal a thing of beauty as he flicked it up over the defender and hit it on the way back down. It was also his pass that set up number two, Adebayor latching onto the end of the pass and slamming the ball past Hahnemann. The visitors looked lost, completely out of it, and when Pazzini nodded in a third after a scramble in the box, it was well and truly over. The fourth came before the game reached 40 minutes, Mario Santana curling home a gorgeous free-kick, and to be going in at the break 4-0 in front was a huge bonus. The second half brought no other goals, and with a massive game next, several players were given a rest and brought off in the second half. Fortunately for the visitors, no more goals came and they only managed to keep it down to a 4-0 scoreline

His side faced their biggest test to date, as 10 time Premiership Champions Manchester United awaited. If the game had been at the Emirates, Barry would have gone into the match a little more confident, but the fact it was at Old Trafford, where they were on a 43 game unbeaten run, was different

His players had the quality, he knew that, and he knew it was vital to get off to a good start. Having said that to his players, he watched them go out and test Edwin van der Sar within a minute, the Dutch 'keeper having to tip a shor from Aguero over the bar. The opener came on three minutes, but it had Barry pulling his hair out. A tackle by Toure had led to a corner for the home side, and when Giggs swung it in, Rio Ferdinand appeared late at the back post, unmarked, and just nodded the ball past Ustari. Barry hated players not marking, and his fury was unleashed. Strangely though, they seemed eager to sit on that lead, a very un United like thing, and it allowed Barry's side to come back into it. Adebayor headed wide, Aguero hit a post, while Pazzini missed a golden opportunity to level it up, but eventually, it was all square, as Pazzini and Fernandez combined, before Pazzini slipped in his strike partner and the big Togolese man fired hard and low past van der Sar. Going in at half time level was good, and Barry told his team to keep attacking. Attack they most certainly did, with virtually every player from midfield and attack had efforts. Fernandez tested the 'keeper, as did Santana, before Aguero, Pazzini, Adebayor and substitutes Jereme Menez and Robin van Persie all forced saves. It was thanks to van der Sar's goalkeeping that the home side came away with a point, and although a point at Old Trafford was fairly good, Barry was secretly disappointed his side didn't get all three after their pressure

--

"Tommy, you've changed lately"

"I have plans, big plans. I will get my revenge"

"Oh yeah? How?"

"With this..."

As he pulled a shotgun out of his belt hulster

"...and a few other things"

"Jesus Tommy. You're not serious?"

"Deadly - how appropriate that word is right now"

"Well I'm sorry, you're on your own. It's going too far now"

Barry Hunter was in danger, but he didn't know it. He was carrying on as normal, and as normal meant his side's next game, a trip to Greece to face Olympiakos in their third group match in the Champions League. This turned to to be just as easy a game as it had been for his players against Copenhagen, with another four goals coming their way

Sergio Aguero scored the first, as he used his pace to manouvre into the right position and get on the end of a pass from Banega, before sliding into the bottom corner. However, for the next fifteen or so minutes, the Greek Champions played well, and were level just before the half hour mark, American Landon Donovan robbing Gallas and beating Ustari with a side-footed effort. Come half time, Hunter had watched his side regain the lead, and then advance it to 3-1, thanks to a five minute double towards the end of the half from the in-form Adebayor. His first was a header from a Menez free-kick, which he powered home past the 'keeper, before his bizarre second, which was a 40 yard effort into an open goal, after a poor kick from the 'keeper who was left scrambling back into the goal

The game was sealed once the third went in, and the second half was not much to write home about. However, there was one more bit of goalmouth action, Argentinian Aguero scoring his second and his side's fourth on 78 minutes, guaranteeing them another three points, and virtually a place in the knockout round (which a win in the next match would secure)

"Barry Hunter"

"Ah that's good then, I don't have to explain to your secretary who I am"

"Tommy. Not dead yet then?"

"That's no way to treat an old friend is it?"

"You're no friend of mine. I want my ring back"

"Tough luck. You'll have to agree to my demands first"

"Oh really? What might they be?"

"Well seen as you're getting the success I deserve, you should resign and let me have your job, and you go and clean somewhere"

"I don't think so Tommy. But I'll tell you what though. Meet me, as I have a proposition for you"

"Hmmm. Go on"

"Meet me and in exchange for the ring, I will give you a job. With my club, on more money"

"Fine. I'll phone to arrange details"

He wanted to sort it out once and for all with Tommy, and get him out of his life for good. He went to sleep that night a little easier, in the knowledge that he was going to be able to concentrate on his life soon enough

--

Charlton, another newly promoted side, were the next opponents that Barry had to gear his side up to face, although a 9 match run of games without a win was one he was confident he could extend to ten, and he fully expected three points. The first half however, could have been the worst 45 minutes he had seen from his, or in fact any, side ever. It was just dull, there was nothing to note, and barely even a chance, apart from Matias Fernandez's free-kick.

The second half was when the game livened up, as substitute Aaron, who'd been on the pitch less than three minutes, strode through the defence and slid the ball underneath the 'keeper. This sent the attackers into overdrive, and chances galore reigned down on the Charlton goal. Pazzini, Aguero and Adebayor all missed good opportunites, before Aguero doubled the lead just on the hour mark. Still the chances flowed, and the red and white of Arsenal's players pushed on, but they had to wait until the second minute of stoppage time for the third, another substitute, Robin van Persie, knocking in the third with his left foot and sealing an emphatic second half performance

--

There was little time for rest, or to think, as the League Cup soon came around, and ironically, the opponents battling for a place in the Quarter Finals were the side they had comfortably seen off at the start of the month, Reading. Barry stuck with his youngsters, after they had defeated Bolton, and once again, the shining light of the match was Mexican Carlos Vela. He could have had a hat-trick in the first half alone, but it was only thanks to some wonderful goalkeeping from Marcus Hahnemann that the game remained scoreless

That was actually the case until the 72nd minute too, as Hahnemann pulled off countless saves, but when Vela tapped home from the rebound of Marica's shot, there was only going to be one winner. It wasn't too long after that the second came, as Vela set up Marica for the Romanian to head home and seal it, but that's not to say there wasn't anymore chances, as both Vela and Marica could have made it 3 or 4, but in the end the 2-0 win (giving an aggregate of 6-0 over the month) was enough to send them into the hat for the quarters

October 2008 Summary

Champions League Group F

Arsenal 4-2 FC Kobenhavn

(Pazzini 19 ; Gronkjaer 28 ; Menez 34 ; Connolly 45 ; Jensen 58 ; Aguero 67)

Arsenal 4-0 Reading

(Aaron 11 ; Adebayor 24 ; Pazzini 33 ; Santana 39)

Manchester United 1-1 Arsenal

(Ferdinand 3 ; Adebayor 38)

Champions League Group F

Olympiakos 1-4 Arsenal

(Aguero 12, 78 ; Donovan 29 ; Adebayor 40, 45)

Arsenal 3-0 Charlton

(Aaron 48 ; Aguero 59 ; van Persie 90+2)

League Cup 4th Round

Arsenal 2-0 Reading

(Vela 72 ; Marica 76)

League Position ; 1st

SCIAG - Barry's 'friends' could cause him a few problems...you'll have to keep reading

---

Barry had received the phonecall from Colbert, arranging to meet in a few days. He had made his demands very clear. Barry was a successful man, and earning lots of money now. Colbert wanted £5,000,000, in cash, and he'd leave him alone. Barry didn't have that sort of money, but Tommy Colbert was not a man who could be reasoned with, so he agreed. They were to meet in a weeks time, at a spot Barry hadn't heard of, a little bridge over the River Thames

They were to meet in darkness, after midnight, to allow them to complete the deal without any hassle, but to say he was worried was an understatement. He was terrified, as he knew any man associated with Zabs had rage in his eyes and was capable of anything

Before the meeting though, there were other issues to contend with, namely football matters, and the first of these would see Hunter and his side travel down to Anfield to face third placed Liverpool. Benitez's side were on an excellent run of 8 games unbeaten after a bad start, so they would certainly provide a stern test for the leaders

It was a fast paced start from both sides, and from the kick off, Liverpool pressed on immediately. Javier Mascherano stung the fingers of Ustari after 4 minutes, while Dirk Kut, starting upfront, rather than on the right, headed a corner just over the bar. Hunter was frustrated on the bench, his side seeming to not be able to get into the game at all, but after another save from Ustari, this time from Fernando Torres, they woke up, an used their pace down both flanks to catch the home side on the counter attack. Matias Fernandez broke down the left, before switching it to the right and Mario Santana, who cut in past the defender, slid the ball right across the area and there was Sergio Aguero to knock the ball home. That goal came on 27 minutes, and Hunter knew his side should have gone on and made their advantage count, as chances for Adebayor, Fernandez and Menez came and went, Menez in particular missing a sitter from six yards

The second half started more slowly, as Benitez had clearly instructed his players to do, and whenever Hunter saw his side start to forge an attack, there were red shirts all round them. This was highly frustrating at the best of times, but when he knew his side needed to double their lead, it was even more. Still, it proved a good tactic for the home side, as Gerrard and Alonso combined to allow the Spaniard to crack a 25 yard effort past Ustari and into the top corner. Now it allowed a more attacking spirit from both sides. Liverpool had chances, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt and substitute Babel all forcing saves from Ustari, with Fernandez and a hat-trick of chances from Adebayor also missing. It looked like a 1-1 draw was imminent as injury time came, but man of the match Fernandez changed all that, as he put the ball down for a free-kick, and with his left foot he curled the ball into the top corner for another three points

---

Following the late win against Liverpool, there was three days to prepare his side for their next tie, the crucial Champions League game against Greek side Olympiakos. It was crucial for the fact that a win would assure their safe passage through to the knockout rounds, so with a lesser opponent in their next game, Hunter made sure he had a strong team on the pitch. The visitors were poor throughout the game, although they did give a scare to Arsenal with a Lomano LuaLua goal after just five minutes sending the Emirates stadium into stunned silence.

That goal never helped the visitors though, and they were always going to defend once in front, which they did admirably for 40 minutes. Adebayor missed a chance, as did Pazzini, Aguero, Menez and Banega, and as half time approached, the Greek side still held a 1-0 lead. This changed right in the final seconds, as Aguero fed the ball through and Pazzini fired a shot across the 'keeper and into the far corner. It hadn't helped the side that Galletti was dismissed on 35 minutes for a horrible tackle on Menez, and that man advantage for Hunter's side was vital. The goal that put them in front came on 64 minutes, and was a stunning volley from the edge of the box by Aguero was how it came. Aguero turned provider on 76 minutes, setting up Frenchman Menez to seal the points and their passage through to the knockout stages. Landon Donovan also saw red near the end, a second yellow card for kicking the ball away reducing his side to 9 men, but it made no difference and Hunter's side picked up the 3-1 win

"Barry. Good of you to come"

"Cut the crap. Ring. Now!"

"I don't think you are in the right position to be making demands, do you?"

"I am in every position..."

His look changed, and his hand went to his belt

"I think you are, unless you want a bullet in your head"

"Alright, calm down. Here's your money"

"Down on the floor"

Barry placed the case on the floor, before holding his hands in the air

"Now, back up to the bridge"

He did just that, backed up, but he saw, out of the corner of his eye, Colbert quickly advancing towards him. Instinctively, he dropped his hands and grabbed Colbert's arm, using his momentum to sling him over the side of the bridge

"****. Tommy, hang on"

"Barry. Help me please. Don't you let me go"

"Grab my hand Tommy. Now, come on"

"I can't"

Their eyes met, and suddenly, without any word, Hunter knew that his arch enemy was about to meet his end

"Tommy? Don't be stupid. Grab my hand, I'll pull you up"

"Goodbye Barry"

And with that, he let himself fall down off the bridge

"NO!!!"

---

Despite having his ring back, he was still in shock at having had to watch Tommy Colbert fall over 100 feet off the bridge. He hated him, but he wouldn't have wanted to see anybody die, nobody deserved that

He was still in a state of shock as his side prepared to face Birmingham in the Premiership. He was completely oblivious to the events on the field, so he didn't see chances fall to his side courtesy of Pazzini, Adebayor, Aguero and Toure, and the Italian sliding his side ahead on 18 minutes, as he rounded the 'keeper and slid into the open goal. In the second 45, most of the instructions were given by Pat Rice, as Hunter had virtually disappeared into his own world. The players may have sensed this, as their second half performance wasn't all that great, with very little in the way of chances coming their way, and they had to settle for a 1-0 win, which gave them three more points

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing"

"Don't give me that. I saw you at the game, you weren't focused. Somethings up"

"No it's not..."

"Barry. I am a woman, and your girlfriend. We know these things"

"Fine. I hope you've got plenty of time. Here's what happened..."

He proceeded to sit there for over two hours, and explain to Nicole what had happened with Tommy, and Zabs. To say she was shocked would be an understatement, as she sat there, open mouthed, while he told her the story

They had discussed what to do, and they felt it was best for Barry to get on with it, and concentrate on the football. That was the sensible thing to do, and with that in mind, Barry and his side travelled to the North West to face a Bolton side who were comfortably engrossed in a mid-table battle

It was a strong side that took to the field for the game, with the likes of Pazzini, Aguero, Menez and Fernandez all in the starting eleven. They started well, with Aguero testing Jaaskelainen in the first five minutes, while Matt Connolly headed against the bar from a Fernandez corner. However, the opener came from the Chilean winger, after Banega had won a free-kick 30 yards out, being brought down by Stefan Radu, who earnt a booking for his troubles, and the winger stepped up to curl home a glorious left footed shot right into the top corner, leaving the 'keeper with no chance. This was a sign for the game to be sealed, and just before the half hour mark, the lead was doubled, as Pazzini and Menez combined down the right, before the Frenchman's cross found Adebayor and the big man rose highest to power home a header. More chances came, including a couple to Kevin Davies and Nicolas Anelka for the home side, but any chance they had of getting back into the match came to an end (or so it seemed) on 41 minutes, as Radu's second yellow card found him dismissed and down the tunnel

The second half should have been a stroll, but all credit to the ten men of Bolton, they came out and had a real go at Barry's side, and within five minutes, they had a chance to get back into it, Anelka brought down by Connolly, and James Vaughan stepped up, stroked the penalty towards the right hand post, but Ustari tipped it just wide. It was a super save from the Argentinian, and it should have been game over, Bolton's one and only chance gone, and when Stefanovic got his marching orders for an elbow in mid air on 69 minutes, that was that. But the home side had other ideas, and with 15 minutes to go, a deflected Nicolas Anelka shot gave them a glimmer of hope. It made no difference though, and they clung on to the 2-1 win

In Europe, Barry had watched his side qualify with two games left in the group, along with their next opponents, Italian side Juventus. That being said, with a lot of games coming up, he still wanted to put on a good showing against them, as a win would guarantee them topping the group, so aswell as four changes, he had several regualr starters in the side.

It was a flying start to the match, as Aaron headed wide, before the Spaniard set up his striker partner Carlos Vela, who flicked the ball through his markers legs, and fired home a low drive past the stranded 'keeper and into the bottom corner. This set about a series of chances, as Vela himself could have had a hat-trick, as he clipped a volley just wide, before forcing an instinctive reflex save from Buffon. The big Italian 'keeper managed to keep the home side at bay and stop them doubling their lead, and this in turn helped his side, through Vincenzo Iaquinta, to get themselves level, as Camoranesi played him through and despite Ustari getting a hand to the shot, he couldn't stop it going in. This didn't stop Hunter's side advancing forward though still, and through Pazzini and Menez, they created two more good chances, and on 39 minutes, should have gone back in front, Vela being fouled in the box before Pazzini smashed the post with his penalty.

The second half brought more of the same, both sides going for the win that would secure top spot in the group. Ustari saved efforts from Iaquinta and Del Piero, while Aaron and Fernandez had some good chances that were foiled. However, on 71 minutes, the winning goal did come, and it came from an unlikely source, as a corner from Jeremy Menez fell right into the path of captain Kolo Toure, and the Ivorian defender smashed the ball into the roof of the net and sealed the win. Thats not to say they couldn't have had more, as Menez curled a free-kick inches wide, but the win was more than good enough to win them the group

---

There was certainly no chance of rest for the wicked, as Barry and his side syched themselves up for what would be the manager's first North London Derby, as Tottenham travelled the short trip down the road to the Emirates. It was a game that was always key to the Arsenal fans, and board, and Barry was determined to start on the right note to the fans by winning his first Derby game

His team certainly didn't help him though, as they started poorly. Probably worse than they had thus far this season, and in the opening twenty minutes, Spurs dominated the game. Berbatov had three chances, forcing Ustari to save two, while one of them was cleared off the line from Toure. Hunter was highly frustrated, his side just couldn't get into the game, and they paid for it on 27 minutes, as Berbatov and Robbie Keane combined, while Australian Mark Bresciano finished the move off nicely. The first half remained a wave of white shirts, as Ustari was forced into making three or four more saves, and going into half time, they were lucky to only be 1-0 behind.

A furious Barry Hunter had given them an ear bashing at the half time interval, and without a doubt it worked, Arsenal coming out all guns blazing after the whistle, as Banega, Aguero, Menez, Pazzini and Marica all tested Paul Robinson. Chance after chance came their way, and on 62 minutes, they were finally level, Aguero sliding the ball through and there was Jeremy Menez to meet it and level things up for his team. Ironically, after working so hard to get level, it took just another 7 minutes to get in front, Menez this time playing a long ball to Pazzini, who laid it off first time for Argentinian Aguero to crack a low drive into the bottom corner

They still pushed on for the win though, and another goal would have been the killer. Pazzini missed a good opportunity, while Ciprian Marica missed an absolute sitter from four yards. It didn't look like it was going to matter as the full time whistle approached, but going into the final few seconds, a long clearance from Michael Dawson landed at the feet of Robbie Keane, who had looked offside, but he wasn't given, and he raced through to slide home a late equaliser and rescue a point for his side. Hunter was livid on the touchline, and had to be stopped from running to the fourth official about the shocking offside decision that had cost his team the maximum quota of points

November 2008 Summary

(Premiership unless stated otherwise)

Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal

(Aguero 27 ; Alonso 56 ; Fernandez 90+3)

Champions League Group F

Arsenal 3-1 Olympiakos

(LuaLua 5 ; Galletti s/o 35 ; Pazzini 45 ; Aguero 64 ; Menez 76 ; Donovan s/o 83)

Arsenal 1-0 Birmingham

(Pazzini 18)

Bolton 1-2 Arsenal

(Fernandez 13 ; Adebayor 28 ; Radu s/o 41 ; Stefanovic s/o 69 ; Anelka 75)

Champions League Group F

Arsenal 2-1 Juventus

(Vela 4 ; Iaquinta 22 ; Toure 71)

Arsenal 2-2 Tottenham

(Bresciano 27 ; Menez 62 ; Aguero 69 ; Keane 90+2)

League Position ; 1st

Barry was still full focused on the football, but he couldn't help but have a niggling doubt in the back of his mind about the whole incident with Tommy. Would the police call round? Was it murder? Manslaughter? He had to shake his thoughts away, as he had more important things to concentrate

The next one of these was a League Cup quarter final, which would see Hunter and his side travel the short trip to Stamford Bridge to face Avram Grant's Chelsea. Despite the hosts being a better side than anybody Hunter's team had ancountered so far, the manager decided to stick with his policy of fielding several youngsters in the starting line-up. One man who did play though, and one that was keen to show why he deserved a regular place in the side was Dutchman Robin van Persie. The game itself started in a fast paced fashion, as Drogba tested Fabianski, and at the other end, Carlos Vela missed a great chance, after doing the hard work and beating the 'keeper before sliding into the side netting. It took until the 18th minute for the first goal, and it was a good goal when it came, as Vela and Ciprian Marica combined well, befor Marica laid the ball through for van Persie, and the Dutchman cracked his shot past the helpless Carlo Cudicini. This was a key goal, as it gave a bit of a window of opportunity for Hunter's side to try and advance their lead, and despite Vela's efforts, it took a defensive mistake from Ricardo Carvalho that brought about the second, as he was robbed by van Persie and the Dutchman slid in his second goal to double his side's lead before half time

There was no point having a 2-0 lead if you're going to concede an early goal. They were the words Barry Hunter said to his team, and they very nearly rang true, as it was Lukasz Fabianski who saved them on more than one occasion, as he managed saves from Drogba first, then from John Terry's header and a world class save from Joe Cole at point-blank range. Chelsea were much the better side in the second half, but Hunter watched his side hold firm, and when he replaced Vela with Matt Connolly, just to shore it up at the back a little more, there was no danger that they would secure the win. Chelsea did create themselves a few more chances, but Arsenal held on and gave themselves a place into the semi finals of the competition

---

"So what plans do you have for the transfer window Barry?"

Peter Hill-Wood had pulled his manager aside and asked if he had any targets in mind for the forthcoming transfer window

"Well I have sealed deals for Bouzanis and Mora, but I have got other targets"

"Don't forget, you may have to raise additional funds. We will quite happily back you with an extra £50 million so you have to use what you have already"

"I know Peter, I have an eye on the clubs financial situation"

It was true, Hunter did have one eye on the money situation at the club, but he also felt that the £60 million plus he had in the bank for spending on players was enough for the signings he had left to buy. Before the winter window though, there was several games of football left to play, and the next one Hunter had to negotiate through was another away trip, this time a visit to Preston in the Premiership. They had struggled thus far this season and sat 19th in the table, so he fully expected three points from the game.

Saying that, Barry had not even sat in his seat and his team were behind, as a long ball that looked harmless found Fabio Felicio and the winger hit a shot past Ustari, who didn't move except to turn round and pick the ball out of the net. It was a stunning start for the home side, and one which got Barry Hunter up off his seat like a shot, but it only lit the flame inside of the Arsenal players, and Preston paid for their cheek in a big way. Hunter's side were level on 12 minutes, with a header from Willam Gallas, and on 23 minutes, Pazzini played a lovely one-two with van Persie, who had kept his place in the team after his scintillating display against Chelsea, and the Italian fired between the legs of the Preston 'keeper. The remainder of the half saw chances galore come Arsenal's way, as Pazzini, Van Persie and Adebayor all missed good opportunities, and they only went into half time 2-1 in front

In all reality, it could have been 4 or 5, but substitute Sergio Aguero was on the pitch seven minutes before he advanced the lead to 3-1, receiving the pass from Pazzini and curling the ball home past the 'keeper. On the hour mark, Karl Hawley gave his side a fighting chance, as he headed home a Felicio corner, but realistically they were never in the game, and when Aguero made it 4-2 with his second on 67 minutes, it was always going to be enough, and Hunter's side stretched their lead at the top to 8 points.

With progress in the Champions League secured, Hunter knew he was able to rest several of his main first team players in their trip to Denmark to face FC Kobenhavn, but the likes of Adebayor, Ustari, Toure, Gallas, Fernandez and Aguero didn't even travel, showing the strength in depth that the squad possessed

Even with his side's 'reserve' players out, Hunter still expected a win, but his side were behind within three minutes, as Fejzullalu broke loose of Matt Connolly and slid underneath Lukasz Fabianski. It was a start that sent the home fans into raptures, and stunned the travelling 1,500 Arsenal fans in the ground. Fortunately, it didn't affect the players, who pushed and pushed in the remainder of the half. Vela, Van Persie and Aaron all had chances, and eventually, the equaliser came on the half hour mark, Spanish under 21 international Aaron receiving Van Persie's pass and cracking home a low drive past the stranded Kobenhavn 'keeper. It wasn't long until the second came, from the same player, and seven minutes later, the Spaniard shocked everybody, including his manager, and curled home a free-kick from 25 yards to send his side ahead

The home side were never even in the game through the second half, as Hunter's side dominated wholeheartedly for the 45 minutes. Chances came regualrly, Dutchman van Persie missing two, Vela, who caused problems all game, missed three, and ther est of the chances were spread between the team. The third and decisive goal came on 72 minutes, Brazilian born Croatian Eduardo on the end of Banega's cross and sliding into the net with the 'keeper wrong footed. Just four minutes later, it was 4-1, Banega again providing the pass, which fell at the feet of Robin van Persie, who rounded the 'keeper and slid into the unguarded goal. The Danish champions had no answer, and even though a shocking backpass from Pedro allowed Fejzullalu in to net his second in stoppage time, it made no difference and Hunter's side advanced as group winners

---

"Well I understand what you're saying, but if I'm honest, I wanted more than that"

"..."

"OK. Well how about the money and one of your players. Say, Christian Poulsen?"

"..."

"I know he's a star man for you, that's why I'm prepared to knock the price down a bit"

"..."

"I was thinking more £7.5 million, seen as that's half what I wanted in the first place"

"..."

"Excellent, it's been a pleasure. I will fax the paperwork off immediately"

Barry would be lying if he said he could cope with losing Bakary Sagna, but the fact of it was that he was in the process of trying to get another right back to the club. However, as part of the Sagna deal, he would see Dane Christian Poulsen join his club, providing a much needed boost in the holding role that Banega had played so well in lately

He had informed the defender of the conversation with Sevilla, and he seemed excited for the new challenge but disappointed to be leaving Arsenal. They couldn't focus too much on that though, as they soon faced their next game, which saw Newcastle make the trip to the capital for their Premiership game

They had performed really well in recent games, and sat in a well deserved sixth place, but come the final whistle, they had been no match at all for the powerful league leaders. Once Adebayor rose highest to head home Matias Fernandez's cross on six minutes, there was only going to be one winner. Both wingers, Fernandez and Jeremy Menez, were causing havoc with their crosses into the box, and it was one from Menez that allowed the second goal to be scored, as it found it's way to Sergio Aguero and the Argentinian striker side-footed the ball past Shay Given. If that wasn't enough to seal the points, Aguero made a darting run into the box on 24 minutes, before being brought down by a clumsy tackle from Habib Beye, and Gilberto Silva stepped up to slot home the penalty on 25 minutes. It was a stunning first half from the defending champions, and Hunter couldn't find fault with his side's performance. However, in the second half, they seemed to take their foot off the gas, instead of trying to push on and score 4, 5 or 6. This was a tactic Hunter hated, and when James Milner's free-kick beat Ustari and found it's way into the net in stoppage time, it was an un-necessary goal to concede, although they still picked up three points from the game, and couldn't complain too much

"Barry? Are you here?"

"I'm in the kitchen!"

"Hey. You're back early aren't you?"

"I was all done at work. Have you had a good day?"

"You could say that. Come in the living room, we need to talk"

Barry sat down, a bemused look on his face, while Nicole was beaming from ear to ear

"What's up?"

"Do you remember what we were talking about a few weeks ago?"

"We've spoken about a bit recently"

"Very funny. I mean about the family thing"

"Oh yeah. What about it?"

"Well...?"

"Oh my god. Are you pregnant?"

"Yes. Took the test three times. It's positive Barry - you're going to be a dad"

"Oh Nicole, that's wondeful"

He was delighted. Barry scooped her up in his arms, swinging her round. He had always wanted to be a dad, and now he had the chance. With the woman he loved too. Things were going really well for him, and he couldn't wait to break the news

---

His players knew he was in a good mood for three days, as the smile he had on his face both in the office and on the training ground gave it away, and eventually it took club captain Kolo Toure to ask him why he was so happy

"Boss, why you so smile?"

"I'm gonna be a dad Kolo. I'm gonna be a dad"

"Congratulations boss. I wish you well"

Once the news filtered through the squad they all wished their congratulations to their manager, and even the chairman popped his head in to say 'well done'. The good mood circulating round the camp carried, and when Middlesbrough visited the Emirates Stadium, they were met by a rampant Arsenal side who converted their good morale into a good performance

Southgate's side had finished 8th last season, and Hunter had nothing but respect for the Englishman, who conducted himself with nothing but decorum and dignity. He still however, wanted three points, and his vice captain William Gallas helped them on their way with a bullet of a header after 8 minutes, leaving Mark Schwarzer stranded. Chances still came regularly, with Pazzini, Sergio Aguero and Ever Banega all missing good efforts. Eventually, the second goal came, and it was enough to send them in at half time 2-0 ahead, as a lovely team passing move ended with a beautiful through ball to Matias Fernandez, who dinked the ball over Schwarzer with his left foot after picking up Aguero's pass

The second half was a little quieter, as Hunter's side didn't really want to stretch themselves, but the best chances of the half fell to Pazzini, who could have grabbed a second half hat-trick, but it made no difference, and 'Boro were never going to get back into the game, 2-0 finishing as the final scoreline, which was more than good enough for Hunter, as it gave his side another three points

Archived